IMDb > Mirror Mirror (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 21: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

You may have seen this before

Author: Jonny 99 from United States
13 April 2015

Between animated versions, live action version, takeoffs, homages, television show, etc. of the classic Grim fairy tale it is entirely possible you've seen this version before and have just lost track. An A-list celebrity stars as the protagonist despite being the bad guy but this isn't "Maleficient". That is a separate movie, the difference being that movie involves a re-contextualization so that we see things from the antagonist's perspective although that movie isn't "Wicked". That was musical based on "The Wizard of Oz" presumably the original not the remake with James DiFranco. Basically, Hollywood is so out of ideas that it's becoming difficult to keep track and maybe you should just watch it even though you may or may not have already seen it. See enough current titles and you've seen every plot ever used in the last 10 years anyway. In short, entertaining if a whole lot derivative.

A very enjoyable family movie! Better than SWATH!! 7/10

Author: Davis P from United States
8 March 2015

Mirror, Mirror is just pure fun!! This film is so beautiful and colorful. I adored the costumes in here, it should've won the Oscar for best costume design, it was cheated! Honestly I just had so much fun while watching this, I have to love it!! I also love how the evil queen's mirror transports her into a whole different realm, so much cooler than SWATH's magic mirror!!! I just love the visuals here, this movie never failed to keep my attention!! I plan on buying Mirror Mirror on Bluray!! Lily Collins beats the living CRAP out of Kristen Stewart for Snow White. Kristen is the most boring and life less Snow White i have ever seen. But lily Collins was so beautiful and emotional as Snow White. That is just how Snow White should be. And Julia Roberts, OMG best part of the movie, couldn't imagine a better evil queen!! I just bought her performance!! She was truly evil in this movie!! Overall I think Tarsum really knows his stuff when it comes to fairy tales!

Unimaginative

Author: mingsphinx from Singapore
26 February 2015

It was not completely unwatchable, but for the money they spent making this film, you would think that they would have worked their imagination a little harder. The movie tries to be funny, but when you have to make such an effort, it usually falls flat and this one landed with a thud.

Lily Collins does look a little like Snow White, and she does seem like a sweet girl, but this movie has the feel of people wanting to do something nice for her famous father, Phil Collins.

Also, with such a big budget, you would expect sets and wardrobes that match the money spent. Instead, it actually looks and feels cheap. I suppose all the money went to paying stars like Julia Roberts, who was quite unconvincing in her role.

In future retelling of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", "Mirror Mirror" will be a good reference of how not to ruin a perfectly good fairy tale.

Stale before it even hit cinemas

Author: Adam Peters from Birkenhead United Kingdom
30 January 2015

(12%) In a year in which we had the privilege of two mainstream Snow White movies this really struggles to compete owing mainly to it being more than just a little flat as it labours constantly throughout, while failing to be either funny, interesting, or even remotely exciting. Julia Roberts is solid enough and keeps everything just about together. But her overall involvement is not enough to save this falling between the cracks of cinema history. No one needs to watch this, not even kids, as it amounts to nothing other than a slightly big-budgeted TV movie that somehow made it into cinemas with zero new or clever ideas on tap. My advice: stick with the classic Disney version, or the universally watchable "Snow White and the huntsman", or failing that get a book out and read the original Grimm tale. All will be better than watching this.

hilarious and lighter than snow white and the huntsman

Author: wira gita from Nova S
1 January 2015

well, i see this movie a couple years ago but forget to review, i hope its not too late. its hard to not compare this movie to snow white and the huntsman but i think both movie have very different story and viewer targets. This movie have dark humor, about a queen who wants her step daughter dead, i know it's a criminal but Julia Roberts make it sound funny. i love the dialog: funny, fresh and unusual. i love how costume make up work here, every dress in this movie are fabulous and glowing. The acting maybe so-so, but i don't think they are not bad at all. I recommended this movie to watch on Friday night with boyfriend after works for a week. it will refreshed your mind.

A new take on the Snow White story

Author: lilred78 from United States
28 December 2014

It was a new spin on an old fairytale.

* Snow isn't a delicate flower *her 7 merry men are thieves * the prince starts out arrogant * the mirror is the queen... Or one of her personalities.

One thing that was weird was the last 5 minutes the movie goes from fantasy adventure to a Bollywood; bright colors, singing and dancing that could replace any singing and dancing in any Bollywood movie and not seem out of place.

The 1 hour 40 minutes prior no one breaks out in song and there isn't a well choreographed flash mob dance number.

Julia Roberts was good as the wicked queen.

Why?! Spoiler alert

Author: The Reviewer from Netherlands
1 December 2014

So, as of today I can consider myself unemployed so I thought: why not watch a movie? As I went through IMDb to find myself a suitable movie for this not so glorious morning, I came across "Mirror mirror". Boy, was I excited! I am a true fan of fairy-tale movies and probably have seen 99% of them. Finding out that there was still a movie left that I had never seen, was a welcome surprise.

Well, let me tell you this: after watching the movie I am honestly going to hate all the surprises in the world. I probably need a day or two to get this load of crap out of my head. It basically hurt my eyes and I really need to apologize to my brain for putting it through this. The brothers Grimm would have never intended the story, they once published in their book, to become this meaningless and horrible.

Let me start by saying this: I've watched and read a lot of fairy-tale stories. As I agree with most people that they are written for entertainment and for a feel-good purpose, I honestly believe that there is also a message involved. Fairy-tales give us an impression of what the purpose of life is. What it means to be good and (probably more important) what it means to be wicked. We learn that you have to go through hard times and battle evil to get what you want.

This movie basically crashed that message. I realize that this movie was meant to be somewhat light and funny, as it was an adaption of a fairy-tale, but it really surpassed that purpose. The Queen (Julia Roberts) was meant to be mean and funny, but she was neither. Her lines really made me cringe to the point that I felt so uncomfortable watching it, I just skipped a bit every time she appeared on the screen. Don't get me wrong: Julia Roberts is an excellent actress, it was merely the role that she was playing that did nothing for her. The Queen never once sounded funny to me nor was there any point in the movie that made me think: Yeah, she is really a wicked witch.

Lily Collins as Snow White was a good choice. She's beautiful, young and vibrant. And lets be honest: her performance is not Oscar worthy (yet) but she delivers on her own level. Her lines were cheesy but Lily did the best she could with what she was given, and that impressed me. I see a bright future for her if she makes better choices in movies and doesn't simple take whatever script is handed to her.

The next subject to talk about is the Prince. For heaven's sake: what where they thinking?! Did this movie even have decent and solid writers? First, the Prince was all charming and likable. Then he turned funny (at least: he was meant to be funny). Then he turned serious. Then Funny. Then ridiculous (a puppy, really?). Then heroic and then charming again. At the end of the movie I felt like either I expect too much from a fairy-tale (which is impossible, since I have very low expectations from them) or the person developing the Prince character did not know one single thing about character development. Thank Lord Armie Hammer is a decent actor and is easy on the eyes.

Then there is the matter of the dwarfs. None of them was likable and/or cute. There was no chemistry between Snow White and them and they also had somewhat of a personality disorder (they wanted her to stay, they wanted her to leave, they wanted to date her). There was not a solid leadership role for one of them and within one day they had decided, since they had no leader and they needed someone to make them dinner, that Snow White would become their leader.

But probably, one of the things that made me want to scream out of despair (yeah, I love drama) was the part with the poisoned apple. Or in this case: the lack of the scene with the poisoned apple. Now in all fairness: they did bring it up and it was handed to Snow, but she never took a bite, fell into a deep sleep and was woken up by true loves kiss. Why?! This was the whole point of the story! They changed it all and it really felt odd and out of place. They could have simply called this movie "The demanding Queen, the Prince without a stable personality and the pretty girl" and it would have made more sense.

To sum it all up: if you don't want to regret wasting more than two hours of your life on watching something so bad you want to just drink the misery away right after, don't buy and/or rent this. Go watch something else or read a book or just do grocery shopping: ANYTHING else is better. And even if you do watch this: stop at the end! Don't let it get to the part where Lily Collins does the Bollywood dance. Just don't.

The Snow White tale

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
16 November 2014

With a recent glut of reimagined fairy tales Mirror Mirror takes a comedic twist.

Snow White is raised by the evil queen (Julia Roberts) who saw off her father but she escapes and lives with seven dwarfs in the woods where she learns survival techniques and learns how to steal.

The Prince (Armie Hammer) has a buff body, dim brain but the Queen wants to marry him although he has fallen for Snow White who he had met earlier.

The Queen uses her spell on the Prince to make him act like a dog and she uses the money from the villagers to live a party lifestyle. As Nathan Lane remarks, this is how your tax dollars are spent. The language and humour used is very modern.

The comedy is mixed with some action especially at the conclusion where there is a beast in the woods.

The positives are the set designs and the costumes which are fantastic.

The negatives, Lily Collins as Snow White is rather a plain actress and Armie Hammer does not cut it as a leading man and they made the film drag. Worse of all the film never really grabs you with an uneasy mix of comedy and action and different fantasy themes.

nice, could have been better

Author: phoenix 2 from Greece
5 May 2014

Mirror mirror is the story of Snow white as a comedy (and an action movie). The basic story line is the known, Snow white is sent to be killed by the evil queen, but she escapes and lives with seven dwarfs in the woods. Now the twist is that the princess is turned into a thief, robin hood style. And she rescues her prince from the queen, who wants to marry him. It wasn't as funny as it should be, but it makes up for it in other fields. The good parts: the costumes were excellent, and the scenery beautiful, both helping the film to look more fairy like. The performances were okay, Roberts was good as the evil queen, and Collins very sweet and charming as Snow white. The dwarfs were funny too. Plus, the story line wasn't rushed; it was presented as it should be. Now the bad news: there were too much going on in the film. The rebels, the poor people, the mirror, the beast. Too much. In the end, it was too confusing and the film finished leaving the audience with many unanswered questions. What was the mirror? An evil force? A guardian? What was the queens ending? etc etc So 5 out of 10 because it was enjoyable, but not very good.

Better Than Expected but "Enchanted" is Much Better

Author: mike48128 from United States
16 May 2014

Such horrible reviews by others. It's not a Disney movie and it's not a tasteless Mel Brooks send-up. It's better than expected. It's a fractured fairy tale. Very little violence. Good special effects and set design. Very tongue-in-cheek. There are several things "off" about it. 1. Like "First Knight" if doesn't seem quite at home in its setting. 2. Words like "high maintenance" spoil the mood. 3. Julia Roberts is evil enough but not beautiful enough to play the evil queen. 4. It plays like a slight upgrade from a good "Once Upon A Time" TV episode. The story has clever twists. The Queen uses her magic to bewitch the prince with the intent of marrying him, as her kingdom is broke because she has squandered all the people's money on frivolous parties and clothing. The 7 dwarfs are robbers, like Robin Hood, and wear collapsible stilts to appear 6 feet tall. They all have different nicknames to avoid copyright infringement. The magic mirror is the source of the Queen's evil power, not the reverse. Nathan Lane is marvelous as the Queen's mistreated Royal Assistant. A fun movie, but certainly not a great one. It ends exactly as it should, with the Queen defeated and ugly, Prince and Snow getting married, and the missing King removed from a wicked spell that transformed him into a serpent-beast. Buy it only if it shows up in the bargain bin. Watch Enchanted instead. It's much better.