Mirror Mirror (2012) Poster

(I) (2012)

211 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
An enjoyable family film so some people shouldn't be so uptight....
Yael Blaine28 May 2012
I saw Mirror Mirror in theaters back in April with my niece, but I just decided to write something on it because it has come under a lot of criticism and honestly I don't know why.I saw a lot of negativity on YouTube and many other places so it got me to thinking what really is the problem with movies geared more toward children?

I think fairy tales should bring out the little kid in everybody, but I've noticed that some people find it hard to revert back to their childhood or innocence because they think it's cheesy or corny.And with the recent comparisons between the two Snow Whites (Mirror vs.Snow White & the Huntsman) it has gotten more and more ridiculous.There has already been a dark-version of Snow White (Tale of Terror) if anyone remembers so there has been done already. A comedic version is interesting and new.

I can only comment on Mirror Mirror because I saw it and I enjoyed it. Snow White (Lily Collins) is treated horribly by her wicked stepmother The Queen (Julia Roberts) who is ruling the kingdom since her father's mysterious death. Somehow with the help of the dwarfs and the Prince (Armie Hammer), Snow White begins to believe in herself and realizes she has the strength to fight off the wicked Queen.

It was a really nice retelling of Snow White because it was a coming of age story. Never knew who Lily Collins was before this movie, but I think she was spot-on as Snow White. She has this innocent beauty that was perfect for Snow White, but she also was courageous, which is a great role model for young girls nowadays. Might I add, her eyebrows fit her and there is nothing wrong with them as I've seen nasty comments about it. They add distinction to her face.

The Prince was really comical and funny. Had me laughing a lot. Never knew who Armie Hammer was before this movie also. I liked him because it was the opposite from Disney Princes who usually are perfect in every way without flaws. They can sing, dance,and sword fight, but he was pretty dense in a way, but it actually suited the movie and it was intended to be that way.

Last but not least, Julia Roberts was divine as the wicked Queen. Honestly, I love her bitchy and sneering her nose at everyone. Julia is usually seen as this sweetheart but it was great to see this side of her. I liked her little on and off British accent too and her pompous narration to the story.

Love the dwarfs, they had absolutely the best one liners. They were modern and jazzed stuff up.

So again I add, every movie does not have to be sinister and Hannibal Lector evil for it to be considered a good movie. Nor does it have to have The Hangover- type jokes and vulgarity to be considered worthy of laughter.

The critics can go to hell on this one. I will watch this movie again and again, especially with my niece.
159 out of 204 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good family fun movie
dianajeann15 April 2012
I took my 11 yr old niece to see this movie and we both loved it. Good clean family fun. Nice to walk out of a movie singing and dancing for a change...... Julia Roberts is hilarious, Nathan Lane even more so and the rest of the cast endearing. Seems if a movie doesn't have violence or sex, not many like it. That is so sad.... life should be fun sometimes and this movie made us feel uplifted and happy.

Thanks Julia and Nathan..... I am not familiar with the actress that played Snow White or the Prince but they were both adorable and funny.

This movie was entertaining for any age, full of action, surprises and humor..... go see it, don't let the nay sayers keep you away.
92 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What are the other reviewers talking about?
David Paterson9 April 2012
OK - so this is a major re-working of Snow White and in fact you could say that it is an entirely different story...bar the principle character names. But to read some of the comments here would be to be mis-led in the extreme in my terribly humble opinion. Not being a huge Ms Roberts fan I was unsure as to how I would react to her as a dominant player in fable setting - but she was capable and trod a fine line between villainy and comedy that worked. Of the other characters - as has been noted Snow White stole the show and was a capable lead and will doubtless go on to far grander things. But the actors delivering the Dwarf story-line were also in keeping with the piece - OK not hugely polished but capable of delivering in the contexts of fantasy. But the real reason for leaving this review is really because of my kids - they loved it. They were scared, amused, excited and involved throughout the film and left having sat through the credit dance sequence first. And frankly it is a film aimed more at them than most reviewers here. So let's not be too sniffy about "truth" or "thespianism" or indeed "realism" - this is a young persons film and looked great, didn't patronise them and had some great ideas brought to life - not always successfully but with a touch of humour and imagination so in my book it's a winner and not to be judged too harshly.
75 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Strangely enjoyed this...
fairiesfly2 April 2012
First off: See this with a good set of friends. Half of the charm for me was turning to my best friends and seeing the look of horror on their faces when they realized what I had dragged them to. Here are the reasons I like this:

A. Costumes were cute. They were supposed to be wild and outlandish but I found myself really strangely attracted to the dresses. B. Julia Roberts who? The dwarfs were where it was at! They completely stole the show. C. It's not supposed to be "stick to the storyline" type of deal because it's not serious and doesn't take itself too seriously. D. Lily was adorable. With that sort of big name character it's really hard to keep it simple like she did. E. The innuendos that the children don't understand will crack you up and no worries parents... they won't pick up on them. F. People said it was bad. This might be the hipster in me but... I was really glad that I didn't think it was.
71 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than expected.
Beatrice McClearn4 April 2012
I walked into this movie expecting another "fairy tale" movie. So I was pleasantly surprised when the plot took a turn for the unexpected. I loved how the writers used adult humor to keep audience attention. In addition, the graphics were surprisingly creative; especially when it came to the 7 dwarfs. I didn't feel like I was watching an old fable play out on the big screen. Instead, I felt that I was being told the story of Snow White for the very first time. I would recommend this movie to anyone with a sense of humor, and an appreciation for creative graphics. If you think you are going to fall asleep in this movie, think again! Mirror Mirror is a great tale for all.
51 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not all re-tellings have to be "edgy"
Left-Handed_Liz14 April 2012
I was really interested in seeing this movie from the start, but the negative press and the corny trailer made me lower my expectations somewhat. There was something about it, though, that still made me want to go see it, even if it turned out to be good for nothing except eye candy. However, my initial skepticism went right out the window at the stunning opening sequence, recounting the prologue in animation that was part puppet theater, part illustration.

Indeed, the visuals in this film are stunning, as are the costumes, both of which are fully on display, but the actors are never overwhelmed by their sumptuous surroundings. Julia Roberts is clearly having a wonderful time as the kind of character she should have been self-aware enough to play a long time ago. Lily Collins turns in a sweet, earnest performance that comes off as the perfect compromise between the traditional and "modern" fairytale princess. Her dedication to what could have been a phoned-in ingénue is actually rather impressive. The supporting cast wears somewhat thin (namely, a few of the dwarfs), but the director thankfully realizes that this is a fairytale, not a cartoon, and the audience is spared from most painful mugging.

The main weaknesses of the film, then, are the comedy and the storyline. While I had plenty of giggles, and the dialogue isn't nearly as bad as the trailer made it seem, between the dwarfs and the queen, there are more than a few gags that get repeated over and over, and lines that, depending on who you are, will elicit a chuckle or a groan. While the Snow White story isn't altered radically, and most of the revisions come off as embellishment, there are a handful of set pieces that clash with the tone, and come off as contrived or pointless. Still, several of the changes are more than welcome, even if they come at the cost of the more iconic points of the story being overlooked. For my part, I believe that this plucky Snow would handle the poison apple scenario exactly the way she did here, and it made me smile to see it in the finale.

I'm a big fan of fairy tales, whimsy (in healthy doses), and visuals as big as the imagination, so I recommend "Mirror Mirror" to fans of the same, and appreciators of films like "Enchanted" and "MirrorMask". It's a fun, heart-filled escapist artwork, good for more than a few viewings.
26 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I HIGHLY recommend this film!
nowickifl28 April 2012
I went to IMDb to read reviews of this movie before seeing it. What I read was not too encouraging so I had fairly low expectations. Boy, was I surprised to find myself smiling throughout the film while my daughter and I nudged each other to comment on how much we liked it! Julie Roberts and Nathan Lane make a stellar duo, and every role was so well cast. Conceptually, I was thrilled with the visuals, the costuming and computer animated sets and special effects. Any changes made to the original story were in my opinion quite clever. The surprise Bollywood number at the end cinched it for me! Take your family to see this movie!
83 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An absolute delight
Neil Welch5 April 2012
In this variation on the Snow White story, most of the familiar elements are in place, augmented by the dwarfs being robbers, and the Wicked Queen having designs on the Prince (with a view to topping up the old Exchequer).

Julia Roberts, for whom I do not care, plays the Wicked Queen and plays her very well. Lily Collins (daughter of Phil) plays Snow White, and Armie Hammer plays the Prince.

This film cleverly balances a fairly faithful retelling of the story with a simultaneous gently subversive deconstruction, and I must praise the script right from the start: it is both clever and funny. The film looks terrific. Roberts is, as already mentioned, very good, and Lily Collins is an absolute delight, sweet and vulnerable, yet also with a degree of feistiness. She is also one of those rare young women whose face is lit up when she smiles. The dwarfs and the Prince are all very funny.

This film is charming and delightful, and has a number of surprises, some of which are a treat (the poisoned apple, and the musical ending, to name but two). I loved it.
52 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than expected
Ken Wong10 April 2012
After reading some of the negative reviews, I pretty much did not expect much out of this movie. While this is indeed a rather boring movie for adults, I did enjoy the show more than I had expected.

The story is simple and easy to understand, with a few twist here and there. Admittedly, I did not find the jokes funny at all. Considering this is a show for kids (correct me if I am wrong), I would have imagined that kids would love this movie.

Lily Collins is a beautiful young lady with high potential to become a great actress. The most enjoyable part was probably the ending with "Ned Stark"
50 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I absolutely loved this movie!
jmpstvs19 April 2012
I absolutely loved this movie and everyone in the theater was clapping at the end. I do not believe that I have seen a standing ovation before in a movie theater that didn't have a live performance. It was humorous and dramatic and silly and I just loved it! Julia Roberts was devious and cunning with a wacky edge to her part! Lilly Collins is absolutely gorgeous just as I imagined Snow White should look. The Prince's demise was hysterical and the dwarfs were the perfect touch to this version of Snow White. I liked this version better than the Disney movie! Mirror Mirror was absolutely entertaining! I WILL BUY THIS ONE WHEN IT COMES OUT ON DVD or BLU-RAY!
54 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another visually delightful thing by Tarsem
Rubens Junior24 May 2012
Mirror, Mirror does not deserve so bad ratings. I've seen worse movies last year with so bad direction, bad screenplay, or bad acting, and people gone mad as they were watching the best movies ever. I really can't understand people's taste.

But, yes, I can understand why Tarsem is so underrated, maybe because few understand his concepts and artistic views. I am following his career since he was just a video music director, which was a truly school in his film making process. He brought to the movies a lot of what make video music so fascinating, like the using of high colors and impressive structures, making a scene more than just a scene, but a piece of art in movement, a real dream.

The Cell (2000), The Fall (2006), Immortals (2011) and Mirror, Mirror (2012) are his examples of such visually daring movies that few directors are able to do. Even his movies suffering from the lack of a great screenplay (like The Cell, Immortals or Mirror, Mirror itself), watch his movies is always a delightful thing thankfully to another very important artist, costume designer Eiko Ishioka (1938-2012), responsible for bringing to reality all his imaginary since his first work.

Of course that after Shrek, a fairy tale wouldn't be the same, and that's why the story suffered some changes, but none of them in a disrespectful way, just some different point of views that really added something to the plot development and also for some few thrilling moments. I think that the movie must be seen by a child point of view, because I'm sure that kids would love this one. It has a funny and naive humor, but at the same time Julia Roberts provides the most interesting and sarcastic dialogs and acting, which can be pleasant for the adults. Even with all that huge costume, it's possible to note that her Pretty Woman hump prevails and she is really just having some fun in a completely natural and unpretentious good acting.

The final sequence is not that out of context as some has said, first of all because since the beginning is told that "the kingdom was a happy place where people danced and sang day and night", and everything came back to normal when the king arrived again. OK, that Bollywood thing feels out of context and surreal, but Tarsem is an Indian director, and his movies are surreal, and that's the fun of watching them.
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good for the lazy viewer
Aric Warner16 March 2012
While this film seems to be perfectly tailored for some audiences, most discerning viewers will find Mirror Mirror to be lacking depth. Several plot fixtures are left unexplained, and in general this movie feels like the writers are trying to shove as many fantasy clichés into one movie as they can. The movie would undoubtedly have been better had the writers simply stuck to the original story, but they did not. The deviation from the classic story was not well done, and in many ways, it did not make much sense.

On a positive note, the acting was refreshingly good, particularly on the part of Julia Roberts. Roberts played the sinister queen quite excellently, adding a seething sarcasm to each line. Along with the acting, the aesthetics were good. Makeup could have been better, but costuming was very well done, and it played a large part in making the movie coherent.

In short, the positive qualities of this film were not nearly enough to make up for the awkward timing, unexplained plot mechanisms, mediocre dialogue, and unworkable mixture of different fantasy clichés. My suggestion is that you go see something else.
94 out of 167 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pretty Decent Movie
punksharkchick7 April 2012
My mom and I went and saw this movie today, pretty much for a girls day out and since Snow White has always been her favorite fairy tale we chose this movie to see. Over all it is definitely a good family movie. It really was great to see a strong female character that saved the prince instead of the princess being saved by the prince which is the tradition. And it was nice and different to see Prince Charming actually have a personality of sorts and not just...there like that 1937 Disney film had, not that that version was bad of course.

There were plenty of funny moments through out the film and the dwarfs being bandits and not having the usual names were great. Its just a great twist and a fresh look at the classic story. I don't know why people are blasting it like they have been...its a kids movie, why are people looking for deep meaning and character growth? Can I mention twilight? That movie is horrible yet people praise it.

Anyway overall good movie, definitely a see for a weekend afternoon.
20 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Nutshell Review: Mirror Mirror
DICK STEEL5 April 2012
Not only are comic book characters finding screen time in the cinemas, but fairy tale ones as well, with films such as Red Riding Hood going through a reinvention of the character, as does Snow White this year with no less than two big budgeted productions, each with its unique take on the character in what would be a face off between Lily Collins and Kristen Stewart in the title roles, one still very much that demure teenager, while the other going by the trailers happen to be more warrior princess instead.

The Snow White I believe most of us know is likely the Walt Disney version, her trademark being that of her songs, dance, and ability to uncannily communicate with birds and other small, cute animals. Tarsem's Snow White does the same too, well almost, albeit influenced in more Bollywood terms with the supporting dancers, their twirls, colours and costumes on display (designed by the late Eiko Ishioka), and she's basically is on a mission to rediscover her kingdom's penchant for celebration all over again given the void after the disappearance of her father the King (Sean Bean). After all, Lily Collins shows she's up to the mark and a bona fide Disney-ish version with the provision of her singing voice in I Believe (In Love) in a sequence that could be liken to be as out of place as Jai Ho in Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire.

But while her Snow White is that demure damsel who's the fairest of them all, she also does show a little bit more character in her ability and grit determination to wield a weapon to wage war against her enemies, namely her stepmother The Evil Queen (Julia Roberts) and her minions, made up of court bootlicker Brighton (Nathan Lane) and other mystical creatures, including her own magic mirror reflection in a stunning CG sequence each time she calls out to her. But don't expect a full on battle ala the other Snow White played by Kristen Stewart, as this one gets trained by her seven thieving dwarfs who decide that she joins them in their mission if she wants to continue seeking refuge in their humble abode, and passes with having looks, brains and brawn, with plenty of heart going out to her people when she learns of the truth of the suffering in the villages.

Visionary director Tarsem Singh is well know for the imagery of his films, full of the fantastical, strange, but always fascinating view of the created world. While his previous film Immortals may have suffered by the lack of a strong plot and action that made it look like a poor cousin to 300, he's back in his element with Mirror Mirror, providing the audience a visual treat while treading on a story structure that is familiar with most, which more or less follows the line of the evil Queen being jealous of Snow White's beauty and gets rid of her, only to have the planned assassination attempt botched with the killer taking pity, her venturing into the woods and meeting up with the seven dwarfs, with the Queen poisoning her with an apple, and to be rescued by Prince Charming, or in this case, a certain Prince Alcott (Armie Hammer) from Valencia.

But be warned that this version too may not go down well with some, especially since the story by Melisa Wallack reworks most of the major details on how the Prince meets up with Snow White, playing a major role here rather than appearing as a cameo at the end, and giving each of the seven dwarfs completely different personalities, with names like Napoleon (Jordan Prentice), Half Pint (Mark Povinelli), Grub (Joe Gnoffo), Wolf (Sebastian Saraceno), Grimm (Danny Woodburn), Butcher (Martin Klebba) and Chuckles (Ronald Lee Clark), who are almost Robin-Hood like in a subplot about not being loved, and discriminated against. But thankfully some of their personalities come across with good natured humour.

Much has been said of Julia Robert's role as the sarcastic Queen whose heart is filled with plenty of black humour, and her character is quite man-crazy, finding it necessary to quickly hook up a rich prince/king in order to continue with her lavish lifestyle at the expense of the kingdom's coffers, raising taxes to fund her whims and fancies. Probably the first Snow White story to have both the Queen and Snow White tussle for the love of the Prince, all I can say is Armie Hammer, who did a great job as the Winklevoss twins in The Social Network and as J.Edgar's right hand man, continues to impress in his roles - in this one having a shirtless running joke - that I am anticipating his turn as The Lone Ranger come next year. Lily Collins will have you believe she IS Snow White, and carries what is expectant of the fairest of them all pretty well, and doesn't make you wonder why so many become mesmerized by her beauty. But flower vase she is not, as she has two missions to fulfill, one to bring back laughter to her kingdom, and to track down the whereabouts of her father.

Mirror Mirror has plenty of tongue in cheek jokes, and slapstick scenario at times, that puts it close to being an outright comedy, yet not quite. Instead it's as close to what a fairy tale will look like on the big screen with the plenty of beautiful sets and scenarios crafted for the characters to operate in that made it quite dream like, and Tarsem being at his element in crafting a visually impressive outing that draws first blood in rival Snow White films. The I Believe (In Love) segment has already earned brownie points from me, so let's see what the other Snow White film can come up with something unique. Recommended!
21 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Strangely Enchanting
Mek Torres25 March 2012
Nobody is asking for another Snow White movie, but at some point, this one is interesting because it's directed by Tarsem Singh and you know his films always have quirky visuals and fascinating costumes. Nothing like any blockbusters out there. And these elements fit perfectly to the story of Snow White. As a result, it's enjoyable and amusing. Although it suffers a few missteps that aren't easy to ignore. But the merits are more noticeable than the flaws. It may be unnecessary but it's actually pretty good.

The film throws plenty of twists to the story. The only part they removed from the original Snow White story is having friends with forest animals which is important because it shows how innocent Snow White is but Snow White isn't quite innocent here. Just like the other upcoming Snow White film, she's fighting here(Shown in trailer. Not spoilers). The film is random in most sequence but it's actually fun. It's clever how they made the love triangle of Snow White, The Queen, and The Prince.

I loved the cast. Lily Collins is captivating and adorable as Snow White. Armie Hammer makes a charming Prince. Julia Roberts was meant to steal the show. They're aiming her as an annoying petty villain and it works effectively. It's good to see Nathan Lane again. We don't see him that much in movies anymore but he can still give plenty of joy and laughs to the audience. The dwarfs are enjoyable as well.

The script can be problematic sometimes, especially to one scene when Snow White says to the Prince he had no pants but what she actually meant he was shirtless. The climax twist was underwhelming and enervating. Like I say, Tarsem Singh's trademarks works best here. The quirky visuals are wonderful. The scene when the Queen's giant puppets attacks the dwarfs' home looks great though the editing is kind of messy. The costumes are simply fascinating.

Unexpectedly, the film turns out to be magical and fun in a strange way. Since Hollywood is suddenly making too much adaptations of Fairy Tales these days, at least this one has magic. I don't know what will the other upcoming Snow White movie is going to be but this one is simple and fun despite from its randomness and missteps. If Tarsem Singh directs a film, no matter how good or bad it is, it will always look fascinating.
38 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A colorful fairytale adaption
livelysparrow975 April 2012
From the very start of the film, the audience can tell its in for a visual treat. "Mirror Mirror" opens with the queen giving the story background (which is shown by porcelain dolls; a very creative choice on the director's part). The film never lacks in taste or boring sets. From the town to the castle to the forest, stunning costumes and lavish sets abound.

The script suffers a bit here and there. The film may have been better off without the occasional rude humor (thanks one hundred percent to the dwarfs). The queen contributes to most of the humor with her grand ability to spit sarcasm and one liners with little effort. Julia Roberts fits into her character beautifully. Armie Hammer and Lily Collins make convincing characters as the prince and Snow White. I must add though, the film goes by at a rather slow pace. A minor complaint but worth mentioning.

Quite possibly my favorite thing about "Mirror Mirror" is the presentation of the Mirror. The director gave us the last thing we would expect for the Mirror (It resides in a shack in the middle of lake which is in the actual Mirror). Five star representation in my opinion.

The film also noticeably twists the classic story by having Snow White save the prince from a rather interesting (ahem... embarrassing) spell with a kiss. Unlike other feministic films of late (most noticeably Alice in Wonderland), the film quenches the blatant feminism themes with a wonderful old fashioned fairy tale. The critics like to call out "Mirror Mirror" for lacking a unique touch or individuality. I would argue that the film's unique touch is its over-the-top sets and costumes and why would we want something different than a an classic fairy tale.

I would also argue in favor of the Bollywood-esque ending. The song and dance compliments the film with a magical touch.

In conclusion, the film does have its minor downsides but remains a classic film worth remembering. "Mirror Mirror" outshines Disney's "Enchanted" and "Alice in Wonderland" in fairy tale scale and no film can match its grand opulence.
17 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mirror Mirror: a worn out classic transformed into a hilariously unexpected story of misfits, outcasts, and, of course, love.
patoja9111 April 2012
I don't know what movie everyone else went to, but I thought Mirror Mirror was fantastic. I was laughing throughout most of the movie, and I think that was the point. It's a fairy tale. It's not supposed to be taken seriously. The twisted fairy tale plot was entertaining and adorable. The idea of Snow White teaming up with a group of renegade dwarfs was hilarious. If anyone said they saw that coming (without the the help of a trailer) they were lying. I am a huge fan of Tenth Kingdom, so the similarities made me laugh. The ending was absolutely perfect. In every way. I didn't see the twist at the end until a few minutes before, but it still wasn't an "oh, I totally saw that coming." Also, I loved Snow's character development. There comes a time when you have to be your own hero and stand up for yourself and others. My sister and friend were a little weirded out by the dancing and singing at the end, but I thought it was great. A classic ending for a Bollywood romance film: a wedding and a dance. It was so funny. Definitely random, but funny. Overall, I really, really liked this movie. If you want a lighthearted story and a good laugh, this movie is for you. :)
18 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent twist on the famous fairy tale
dan_goldstein2 April 2012
Go see this movie. Frankly I don't get what the nay-sayers are complaining about. I studied film and literature at the university, and found this film to be one of the best family movies I've seen. I would own this in my collection. Stunning visuals complement a story line that twists along a very modern path in contrast to the old fairy tale. The story is told well. The acting is not award-winning but it is believable. Lily Collins (Snow White) is wonderful! And yes -- the outcome is a bit predictable for anyone who's ever heard of Snow White -- but wouldn't you expect that? My son (7) and daughter (9) both loved it, although some parts were scary enough to send my son cuddling up to me. We all left grateful for the experience. And, as usual, covered in popcorn. Go see it. And don't miss the dance scene after the end of the movie and before the credits. It's a trip watching the cast in 18th century French Royal costumes dancing and singing to a modern Indian beat, a fitting analogy to the film.
27 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Julia Roberts, Nathan Lane, and Lilly Collins are pretty good in the fairy tale spoof Mirror Mirror
tavm28 April 2012
Just watched this fairy tale spoof of a movie with my movie theatre-working friend. Julia Roberts plays the Evil Queen who wants Snow White (Lilly Collins) killed but her henchman (Nathan Lane) is very reluctant to do so. Ms. White eventually falls in with some...well, let's just say diminutive warriors and a prince (Armie Hammer) who's being tricked into marrying the queen. What the queen does to make him fall for her is the most hilarious thing in the movie. Nothing is as funny as what I just mentioned but there's a fun atmosphere throughout even during the more intense dramatic parts. And check out the Bollywood number that ends the whole thing! Really, I'll just say that Mirror Mirror is very much worth a look.
21 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Who's the fairest of them all?
Contributing Writer27 April 2012
MIRROR, MIRROR is one of two major Snow White movies coming out this year. The second one is SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN, which premieres in June. From the trailers the two movies look absolutely nothing alike. While I don't have any problems with a fairy tale princess taking levels in sheer awesome being a competent woman, I'm not sure if the grim and grittiness is the best way to do it. Why does a woman have to become grim and gritty to be badass? But this is neither here nor there. I have yet to see SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN because of an unfortunate lack of a time machine so I can't compare the two. (If I did have a time machine, I'd be going to see other movies, such as THE HOBBIT in December, among other worthwhile pursuits.)

What I can do is review MIRROR,MIRROR. Directed by Tarsem Singh (who also directed THE CELL) it stars Julia Roberts as the Evil Queen, Lily Collins as Snow White and Armie Hammer as Prince Alcott in a fun and often tongue and cheek romp through the fairy tale.

The movie starts with the basic premise of Snow White's father, the King (played by Sean Bean), marries the Evil Queen and then mysteriously vanishes into the dark woods while trying to find an evil and dark creature threatening his kingdom. Snow White is left with her stepmother who proceeds to lock her up in the castle, forbidden, for her own good, to leave. Snow listens to the Queen but on her eighteenth birthday things start to change from the traditional fairy tale as she meets the prince and decides to take matters into her own hands.

Julia Roberts' queen is a petty and not really malicious evil. She wants the finest things in life and will do whatever she wants to get them even if it bankrupts the kingdom. She wants to be the most beautiful in the land, and if that requires Snow White to die then so be it. She is fun to watch as she tries to get Prince Alcott to marry her.

On the other hand, Lily Collin's Snow White is a bit on the bland side. She has to play the innocent and naive waif who learns to stand on her own two feet, which generally isn't a role with much to do. However, her Snow White actually does things. She doesn't wait for her prince to come to change things. She actively goes out to try and stop the queen herself.

I think the best thing about the movie was Hammer's prince. He manages to keep an awkward straight face to the Queen's flirtations and is a capable warrior. Later on in the movie he seems to be having a great deal of fun with the situations handed to him.

One thing I have to mention is that the costumes – especially the Queen's – and the sets are utterly gorgeous, a delight to look at. Most of the sets are in shades of white and gray while a lot of the costumes are brilliantly-colored, creating an interesting and delightful contrast to watch as the characters move through the world. They aren't completely realistic, but the story isn't realistic either and so it helps create the fairy tale illusion.

The story is sufficiently different that it keeps you guessing on how it's going to turn out. You know that the Evil Queen will be defeated and Snow White will get the prince, but the how is left up in the air well enough to keep you entertained. It is most definitely not a serious movie, but one that is a nice way to spend a lazy afternoon. It leaves you with a satisfied feeling… if a bit bewildered by the sudden Bollywood style dance number during the credits.

– Gabrielle Lissauer

This review first appeared in Geek Speak Magazine - www.geekspeakmagazine.com
21 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mirror, Mirror is just Awful, Awful!!
jaxbubba9 April 2012
Mirror, Mirror is just Awful, Awful!! I am in shock and awe that this $100 million dollar fiasco was ever given the green light to be produced. The problems with this film are numerous; however, I will address some of the major issues. The first and foremost problem is CASTING!!!!! Call Julia Roberts lots of things, but you cannot call her WICKED or VAIN!!! The story of Snow White is the story in which the evil queen (Roberts) is so obsessed with beauty that she would spare not means to rid the kingdom of anyone thought to be any "fairer" than her. However, Roberts cannot pull off this role, every time she flashes her pearly white smile, she eludes wholesome and purity and not evilness nor malice in which the role requires. My second issue with the film is COSTUME Design. Yes, I understand that is film is supposed to be a fantasy/period piece;however, the costumes are so over the top; the kingdom seems to be one step shy of the "KINGDOM of WHOVILLE" from the movie "The Grinch". My third issue with the film would be SET design. While the costume design went over the top, the set design was sadly underwhelming. Every scene(except the forest set) seemed to be so minuscule and stuffed with extras that it looked tiny on the screen. The Kingdom looked like a 16x16 seedy alley way, while the "Royal Wedding" looked to be hosted in a Coleman pup tent!!! However, my number 1 issue with the film had to be director Tarsem Singh's vision. Was this film supposed to be a comedy, a fantasy, an adventure, or a Bollywood reincarnation of a beloved fairy tale... I have no idea; and after watching this film, neither did he. I know that Hollywood offers very little for the wholesome family audience to venture out to see; but it would be shameful for me to recommend this film, which I cannot. Save your money, this film with quickly end up in the Walmart Bargain Bin or the Walgreen Redbox $1 Rentals. P.S. Please do not get me started on the Cirque du Solei Dwarfs; and the Bollywood production number at the films end....... Enough Said! Please read more of my reviews at THE FARIS REEL on Facebook.
28 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
great film for these times ...especially the visuals
chuck-5261 April 2012
"Mirror Mirror" is in the top handful of my list for 2012 to date.

The dialog is a little ironic, yet not absurdly silly ironic; it's sensibility is sort of "Shrek-meets-Grimm" in live action. Nobody will miss anything important just skimming the surface of the dialog. But if you listen (and watch) carefully for the jokes, there's plenty of them ...and they're not so terribly sophisticated only eggheads can follow them. Current cultural platitudes provide a lot of the meat; if you've read it in a horoscope column or on the jacket of a self help book or overheard it in the local café or heard it from your "personal trainer", you'll probably hear it again here, in an unexpected way or context (and probably one that will make you laugh).

It seems the traditional story elements are all here ...but often twisted in new and wonderful ways. Indeed seven dwarfs living in a house in the woods are integral to the story ...but neither they nor their house nor their profession is anything like you might imagine. And the apparently poisoned apple appears _twice_, both times with unexpected twists.

And the visuals are like nothing you've ever seen. The imagination and the scope and the creativity go far beyond what you might expect. Just a few examples from the many possibilities: you might not be too surprised to see a couple astonishing animal imitations at a costume ball, but here you'll see whole handfuls; a dance scene is a fine excuse to spin and swish a couple of wildly colored skirts before the camera, but again here you'll see many many more than just a couple. And some of the effects particularly grabbed my attention: the moving porcelain people and the life-sized puppets that moved like puppets on a stage.

I expected a "mirror" with somebody else's appearance behind it, and maybe even a rippling surface. But I got a couple whole roomfuls of mirrors (including mirrors within mirrors) rather than just one mirror, and a surface that morphs from reflecting light to topping the water in a lake.

I've been a Tarsem Singh fan ever since being blown away by "The Fall". This is even better. I usually like to play the "how did they do that?" game, spotting what are miniatures, what's CGI, what's trick photography, and so forth. But here I quickly gave up. The sheer amount of visual magic was overwhelming, and trying to identify how it was done was just a hopeless task.
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A "Sarcastic" and Funny Snow White (Not for Everyone)
tangojazz3 April 2012
"Snow White" reminded me of the "Fractured Fairy Tales" that were part of the old "Rocky and Bullwinkle" cartoon show, where they put a modern and comedic twist on the old fairy tales. People who have a loyalty and affection for the original Snow White will not like this version (as shown by the other reviews on this movie). Julia Roberts was hilarious and evil as the Queen and she is the main reason I would see this movie again. I like the modern "twists" they put in, like Snow White saving the Prince, Snow White not eating the poison apple, Snow White carrying a sword and learning to be a warrior "princess" etc. made for a different and exciting new interpretation of this classic. Snow White was never boring and I could not keep my eyes off the screen, as I waited for another surprise in the storyline. I would say they were re-inventing the movie, making "Fun" of it(very brave)and having a ball, all the same time. Julia Roberts as the evil queen was funny and sarcastic all through the movie. Lily Collins started out slow but her acting ability got stronger and stronger as the movie progressed and Nathan Lane was a crack-up. So, go see "Snow White". You'll be glad you did.
18 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sleeping is a better option
Mivec-707-3336710 August 2013
One of the worst I have ever seen in a long time. And this is by very a far worst. The attempt to change the usual storyline is absolutely tasteless.

In my opinion, the whole film was poorly directed . There is a total lack of humor. The jokes cracked was plain pathetic. And the worst is the ending scene with the Indian dance. I mean what could a lousier way to end a movie like that.

Julia robert can't act for sure in this film. I'm guessing she lost her touch. The only saving grace was lily colins. She totally fit the character of snow white.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Bulgarian dagger of Snow white
bokoka4 June 2012
I want to know, what is a model of Snow white's dagger. Someone tell me that he is a Bulgarian military pilot dirk from WWII. Why in the movie not make their own model. This dirk is Bulgarian historic weapon, i think. Otherwise, the movie is very nice, i enjoyed very much. Lily Collins is very beautiful in the role of Snow white, Julia Roberts makes a role that i don't expected, but i liked. The seven dwarfs is the same actors, like in most roles of dwarfs, but the idea of dwarf-giants was very fresh. Bollywood style final was very finny. Maybe watch the movie because friend told me about the pilots dirk from WWII, but i like the movie.
19 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this