IMDb > Mirror Mirror (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

An enjoyable family film so some people shouldn't be so uptight....

Author: Yael Blaine from United States
28 May 2012

I saw Mirror Mirror in theaters back in April with my niece, but I just decided to write something on it because it has come under a lot of criticism and honestly I don't know why.I saw a lot of negativity on YouTube and many other places so it got me to thinking what really is the problem with movies geared more toward children?

I think fairy tales should bring out the little kid in everybody, but I've noticed that some people find it hard to revert back to their childhood or innocence because they think it's cheesy or corny.And with the recent comparisons between the two Snow Whites (Mirror vs.Snow White & the Huntsman) it has gotten more and more ridiculous.There has already been a dark-version of Snow White (Tale of Terror) if anyone remembers so there has been done already. A comedic version is interesting and new.

I can only comment on Mirror Mirror because I saw it and I enjoyed it. Snow White (Lily Collins) is treated horribly by her wicked stepmother The Queen (Julia Roberts) who is ruling the kingdom since her father's mysterious death. Somehow with the help of the dwarfs and the Prince (Armie Hammer), Snow White begins to believe in herself and realizes she has the strength to fight off the wicked Queen.

It was a really nice retelling of Snow White because it was a coming of age story. Never knew who Lily Collins was before this movie, but I think she was spot-on as Snow White. She has this innocent beauty that was perfect for Snow White, but she also was courageous, which is a great role model for young girls nowadays. Might I add, her eyebrows fit her and there is nothing wrong with them as I've seen nasty comments about it. They add distinction to her face.

The Prince was really comical and funny. Had me laughing a lot. Never knew who Armie Hammer was before this movie also. I liked him because it was the opposite from Disney Princes who usually are perfect in every way without flaws. They can sing, dance,and sword fight, but he was pretty dense in a way, but it actually suited the movie and it was intended to be that way.

Last but not least, Julia Roberts was divine as the wicked Queen. Honestly, I love her bitchy and sneering her nose at everyone. Julia is usually seen as this sweetheart but it was great to see this side of her. I liked her little on and off British accent too and her pompous narration to the story.

Love the dwarfs, they had absolutely the best one liners. They were modern and jazzed stuff up.

So again I add, every movie does not have to be sinister and Hannibal Lector evil for it to be considered a good movie. Nor does it have to have The Hangover- type jokes and vulgarity to be considered worthy of laughter.

The critics can go to hell on this one. I will watch this movie again and again, especially with my niece.

Good family fun movie

Author: dianajeann from United States
15 April 2012

I took my 11 yr old niece to see this movie and we both loved it. Good clean family fun. Nice to walk out of a movie singing and dancing for a change...... Julia Roberts is hilarious, Nathan Lane even more so and the rest of the cast endearing. Seems if a movie doesn't have violence or sex, not many like it. That is so sad.... life should be fun sometimes and this movie made us feel uplifted and happy.

Thanks Julia and Nathan..... I am not familiar with the actress that played Snow White or the Prince but they were both adorable and funny.

This movie was entertaining for any age, full of action, surprises and humor..... go see it, don't let the nay sayers keep you away.

I HIGHLY recommend this film!

Author: nowickifl
28 April 2012

I went to IMDb to read reviews of this movie before seeing it. What I read was not too encouraging so I had fairly low expectations. Boy, was I surprised to find myself smiling throughout the film while my daughter and I nudged each other to comment on how much we liked it! Julie Roberts and Nathan Lane make a stellar duo, and every role was so well cast. Conceptually, I was thrilled with the visuals, the costuming and computer animated sets and special effects. Any changes made to the original story were in my opinion quite clever. The surprise Bollywood number at the end cinched it for me! Take your family to see this movie!

What are the other reviewers talking about?

Author: David Paterson from UK
9 April 2012

OK - so this is a major re-working of Snow White and in fact you could say that it is an entirely different story...bar the principle character names. But to read some of the comments here would be to be mis-led in the extreme in my terribly humble opinion. Not being a huge Ms Roberts fan I was unsure as to how I would react to her as a dominant player in fable setting - but she was capable and trod a fine line between villainy and comedy that worked. Of the other characters - as has been noted Snow White stole the show and was a capable lead and will doubtless go on to far grander things. But the actors delivering the Dwarf story-line were also in keeping with the piece - OK not hugely polished but capable of delivering in the contexts of fantasy. But the real reason for leaving this review is really because of my kids - they loved it. They were scared, amused, excited and involved throughout the film and left having sat through the credit dance sequence first. And frankly it is a film aimed more at them than most reviewers here. So let's not be too sniffy about "truth" or "thespianism" or indeed "realism" - this is a young persons film and looked great, didn't patronise them and had some great ideas brought to life - not always successfully but with a touch of humour and imagination so in my book it's a winner and not to be judged too harshly.

Strangely enjoyed this...

Author: fairiesfly from United States
2 April 2012

First off: See this with a good set of friends. Half of the charm for me was turning to my best friends and seeing the look of horror on their faces when they realized what I had dragged them to. Here are the reasons I like this:

A. Costumes were cute. They were supposed to be wild and outlandish but I found myself really strangely attracted to the dresses. B. Julia Roberts who? The dwarfs were where it was at! They completely stole the show. C. It's not supposed to be "stick to the storyline" type of deal because it's not serious and doesn't take itself too seriously. D. Lily was adorable. With that sort of big name character it's really hard to keep it simple like she did. E. The innuendos that the children don't understand will crack you up and no worries parents... they won't pick up on them. F. People said it was bad. This might be the hipster in me but... I was really glad that I didn't think it was.

Better than expected.

Author: Beatrice McClearn from Maryland
4 April 2012

I walked into this movie expecting another "fairy tale" movie. So I was pleasantly surprised when the plot took a turn for the unexpected. I loved how the writers used adult humor to keep audience attention. In addition, the graphics were surprisingly creative; especially when it came to the 7 dwarfs. I didn't feel like I was watching an old fable play out on the big screen. Instead, I felt that I was being told the story of Snow White for the very first time. I would recommend this movie to anyone with a sense of humor, and an appreciation for creative graphics. If you think you are going to fall asleep in this movie, think again! Mirror Mirror is a great tale for all.

An absolute delight

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
5 April 2012

In this variation on the Snow White story, most of the familiar elements are in place, augmented by the dwarfs being robbers, and the Wicked Queen having designs on the Prince (with a view to topping up the old Exchequer).

Julia Roberts, for whom I do not care, plays the Wicked Queen and plays her very well. Lily Collins (daughter of Phil) plays Snow White, and Armie Hammer plays the Prince.

This film cleverly balances a fairly faithful retelling of the story with a simultaneous gently subversive deconstruction, and I must praise the script right from the start: it is both clever and funny. The film looks terrific. Roberts is, as already mentioned, very good, and Lily Collins is an absolute delight, sweet and vulnerable, yet also with a degree of feistiness. She is also one of those rare young women whose face is lit up when she smiles. The dwarfs and the Prince are all very funny.

This film is charming and delightful, and has a number of surprises, some of which are a treat (the poisoned apple, and the musical ending, to name but two). I loved it.

I absolutely loved this movie!

Author: jmpstvs
19 April 2012

I absolutely loved this movie and everyone in the theater was clapping at the end. I do not believe that I have seen a standing ovation before in a movie theater that didn't have a live performance. It was humorous and dramatic and silly and I just loved it! Julia Roberts was devious and cunning with a wacky edge to her part! Lilly Collins is absolutely gorgeous just as I imagined Snow White should look. The Prince's demise was hysterical and the dwarfs were the perfect touch to this version of Snow White. I liked this version better than the Disney movie! Mirror Mirror was absolutely entertaining! I WILL BUY THIS ONE WHEN IT COMES OUT ON DVD or BLU-RAY!

Good for the lazy viewer

Author: Aric Warner from Bangkok
16 March 2012

While this film seems to be perfectly tailored for some audiences, most discerning viewers will find Mirror Mirror to be lacking depth. Several plot fixtures are left unexplained, and in general this movie feels like the writers are trying to shove as many fantasy clichés into one movie as they can. The movie would undoubtedly have been better had the writers simply stuck to the original story, but they did not. The deviation from the classic story was not well done, and in many ways, it did not make much sense.

On a positive note, the acting was refreshingly good, particularly on the part of Julia Roberts. Roberts played the sinister queen quite excellently, adding a seething sarcasm to each line. Along with the acting, the aesthetics were good. Makeup could have been better, but costuming was very well done, and it played a large part in making the movie coherent.

In short, the positive qualities of this film were not nearly enough to make up for the awkward timing, unexplained plot mechanisms, mediocre dialogue, and unworkable mixture of different fantasy clichés. My suggestion is that you go see something else.

Not all re-tellings have to be "edgy"

Author: Left-Handed_Liz from United States
14 April 2012

I was really interested in seeing this movie from the start, but the negative press and the corny trailer made me lower my expectations somewhat. There was something about it, though, that still made me want to go see it, even if it turned out to be good for nothing except eye candy. However, my initial skepticism went right out the window at the stunning opening sequence, recounting the prologue in animation that was part puppet theater, part illustration.

Indeed, the visuals in this film are stunning, as are the costumes, both of which are fully on display, but the actors are never overwhelmed by their sumptuous surroundings. Julia Roberts is clearly having a wonderful time as the kind of character she should have been self-aware enough to play a long time ago. Lily Collins turns in a sweet, earnest performance that comes off as the perfect compromise between the traditional and "modern" fairytale princess. Her dedication to what could have been a phoned-in ingénue is actually rather impressive. The supporting cast wears somewhat thin (namely, a few of the dwarfs), but the director thankfully realizes that this is a fairytale, not a cartoon, and the audience is spared from most painful mugging.

The main weaknesses of the film, then, are the comedy and the storyline. While I had plenty of giggles, and the dialogue isn't nearly as bad as the trailer made it seem, between the dwarfs and the queen, there are more than a few gags that get repeated over and over, and lines that, depending on who you are, will elicit a chuckle or a groan. While the Snow White story isn't altered radically, and most of the revisions come off as embellishment, there are a handful of set pieces that clash with the tone, and come off as contrived or pointless. Still, several of the changes are more than welcome, even if they come at the cost of the more iconic points of the story being overlooked. For my part, I believe that this plucky Snow would handle the poison apple scenario exactly the way she did here, and it made me smile to see it in the finale.

I'm a big fan of fairy tales, whimsy (in healthy doses), and visuals as big as the imagination, so I recommend "Mirror Mirror" to fans of the same, and appreciators of films like "Enchanted" and "MirrorMask". It's a fun, heart-filled escapist artwork, good for more than a few viewings.

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]