IMDb > "Awkward." (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Awkward."
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Awkward." More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

"Awkward." - What someone says after an uncomfortable silence...

Author: dee.reid from United States
7 August 2011

I'm 25, and a straight male, so I'm going to have to fake it here: "Awkward." is one of the best new shows on MTV right now, which unfortunately in this day and age, does not really count for much. After a myriad of repeats of everything from "Teen Mom" to "Jersey Shore," it's nice to see a decent teen comedy show on the air once again.

I really mean it when I say that "Awkward." is a decent show. No, correction: it's an above average show that manages to actually be very funny, in addition to being very raunchy. Think about MTV's other semi-good teen comedy series, "The Hard Times of RJ Berger." Like "Hard Times," "Awkward." has been easily influenced by the recent wave of popular teen comedies at the movies, most notably 2010's "Easy A" (this show's premise borrows a central plot element from that film).

"Awkward." is also heavily influenced by the films of the late John Hughes (1950-2009), that Brat Pack filmmaker behind such classics as "Sixteen Candles" (1984), "The Breakfast Club" (1985) (my personal favorite), and "Pretty in Pink" (1986). Using those movies as an influence for its plot basis, "Awkward." tells the story of Jenna Hamilton (Ashley Rickards), a virtual 15-year-old nobody at a posh Southern California high school. She narrates the show through her online blog postings.

It's clearly established early on that Jenna is in fact, quite wise beyond her years, so obviously that has got to make her a target from the more popular students. Rickards is able to give her character a sense of humanity and vulnerability, and Social "Awkward"-ness, that makes her seem like a real person and not a Molly Ringwald stereotype (a moment extremely late in the third episode really makes this clear). In fact, Rickards's Jenna Hamilton and Ringwald's bright-and-beautiful-but-socially-rejected John Hughes-era characters - Samantha Baker in "Sixteen Candles" and Andie Walsh in "Pretty in Pink," namely - are so close in age (and emotional maturity) that it's entirely possible that Jenna *could* be Ringwald's offspring from those years.

During the summer, Jenna had a brief affair with Matty (Beau Mirchoff), the hottest hunk in school, and said affair ultimately resulted in her losing her virginity. The problem is that Jenna and every other girl in school is lusting after Matty, who does in fact appear to have genuine feelings for Jenna but does not want to take their relationship public, for obvious reasons. As the season begins, the new school year has just started and we're shown Jenna's daily life as a societal outcast at her school, her promiscuous best friend Tamara (Jillian Rose Reed), and her overweight cheer-leading nemesis - and resident mean girl/queen bee - Sadie (Molly Tarlov).

Before you know it, a freak accident one night in her bathroom results in a misconstrued rumor that Jenna had tried to commit suicide, and the rumor mill at her school goes ballistic with the news. A la Emma Stone's social-climbing Olive Pendergast in "Easy A," Jenna is thrust to the top of the high school social ladder - she's the new "it" girl that everyone is talking about, for better or for worse - and she also has to deal with the common trials & tribulations of being a socially Awkward teenager on the verge of adulthood.

"Awkward." is a genuinely funny and entertaining show, if you have a thing for teen shows. Sure it rehashes a lot of what we've seen in the past to the point that it's pretty much overkill. And Lord knows we've seen enough teen comedies over the years to know what to expect from shows like this. But where "Awkward." gets points is, I think, is its knowledge of its influences, namely the works of John Hughes. Hughes was known for complex, yet uniquely human portrayals of teenagers in his films and "Awkward." appears to display some of the humanist complexities that Hughes had made his trademark back in the '80s. You can see it with Jenna and how torn she is between Matty and another popular hunk named Jake (Brett Davern).

With this in mind, this series definitely shows promise, promise that I hope is not squandered on stupid sex jokes, humor, and raunchiness - although there is already plenty of that here.

Awkward.

Great show

Author: fernreed from United States
10 August 2011

This show is amazing and while the writing may be a bit over the top, it addresses real life issues not only teens face, but adults as well with a great message. The lead, Ashley Rickards, brings a realism and unique style to the show that makes us all love Jenna and relate to her struggles.

The supporting actors all work great together. The two male leads balance each other well. Each bring depth to their characters and present Jenna with two very different alternatives (physical vs. intellectual attraction). We all are waiting to see if she recognizes this and if so, how will she deal with it.

The rest of the supporting staff, while over the top at times with their delivery and energy, do bring good humor and balance to the show and story line.

Each show ends with me wanting to know more. MTV has finally gotten it right. I LOVE it.

It's fantastic, very funny and not a fake teenage drama!

Author: dontrunwithscissors-151-860626 from Liverpool
14 September 2011

Not the typical, American teenagers lives are perfect show and there's no singing or dancing after every drama.

Awkward shows how life can be brutal for kids in school and there there are a lot of bitches about, everybody can relate to something in there one way or another, but does also address some serious issues like weight and depression. Just a funny and honest show, with a big personality that everyone whatever sex you are can enjoy can enjoy. :')

Plus the episodes aren't enormous so you won't get sick of it by the time next weeks episode is released, you'll be looking forward to your snippet of class teen comedy.

Would highly recommend. 10/10 hilarious.

Great Show

Author: Tanya Rhodes from Lancaster
20 August 2011

I love this show and these kind of shows are under valued and always seem to be taken off the air before people can form a proper opinion about them. I really hope they don't do that with this show because it is probably one of the only decent shows on TV at the moment, everything that shows some form of promise seems to be thrown out for more and more idiotic reality TV shows that show no more reality than a pig on skates.

This TV show actually shows the problems that can happen to teenagers nowadays instead of dramatizing unlikely events for the sake of ratings.

I highly recommend 'Awkward', definitely shouldn't be missed.

:D

Great show!

Author: barnchick45 from United States
26 July 2012

OK, technically, I should be too old for this show. I'm at the point in my life when I should be over the shows about high school kids. And I am. Except for this show. I'm in my 20s (still a kid, I know, but certainly far removed from a sophomore in high school). This show is witty. It has me laughing out loud in every episode. I am usually patient about new episodes of my favorite shows. With this show, however, I yell at my TV with the episode ends. I wish it was an hour-long. I have never been more excited to hear about a show being renewed for another season. But I digress...

Jenna is quirky and smart. Yes, she's awkward, but in the most lovable of ways. She has impeccable taste in men, and I couldn't be more proud of the growth of her character in this show. I love watching ALL these characters grow. They are actually maturing, and I can't wait to see where the writers take them. Most of the characters are relatable. (We all knew "that girl" or "that guy" in high school). And they're lovable too. Or, you know, "love to hate"- every good show has one of those.

Anyway, give it a chance. It won't disappoint. Even if you're well past high school (like this quarter century old gal (plus or minus a few years...)).

Astonishingly Good Show

Author: walter2-1 from Canada
31 August 2011

This show really captured my interest right from the first episode. Since I have both a son and daughter (now grown), I thought the show did a great job of showing the entire convoluted ecosystem high school kids live in, and what it looks like from their perspective (clearly, often a complete minefield). The stories are clever, well written, and interesting, 3 things sadly lacking in about 95% of TV content today. The cast is great, from Jenna right to the evil cheerleader. I didn't really expect to find this kind of show anywhere, MTV was a true surprise, and I think a lot of people (no matter what age) will enjoy this, if they ever find it. Maybe a bit too spicy for younger kids, but very impressive for everyone else.

The Best Show I have seen in AGES!

Author: Rebecca Day from Barcelona, Spain
23 January 2013

I am so, so relieved to see other reviewers near my age range (26) have been watching this AND praising it. To be honest, I was a little embarrassed to be watching this show at my age and actually the pilot didn't capture me, but then recently I saw the ads here for the Matty / Jake conflict on MTV (Spain's a bit slower on the release dates!) and boy was I hooked, watched it online from the 2nd season backwards. It is SO damn funny! And well paced! Great comedic actors and timing. Setting, good story, man it's all there but it's really the writing that gets me.

It is so well written, it's a show I could only dream of writing one day. I watch it with my husband sitting in the background and even he is snickering (he is 37!)

"What's with all the long faces in here, is it a Sarah Jessica parker party or what?"

Ha come on, that's an amazing line!! I think there is also something to that comment since Jenna writes a blog, Carrie wrote articles... underlying theme there to hash out their thoughts/emotions on the computer to figure out how they're feeling. I think it's an element that really makes the show work. For me mainly it's the adults that steal the show, they only have brief appearances, but my god, so many great lines. Adults saying/acting what they all probably think but would never say. The mum is just superb!

"Oh don't be upset, drink more wine, pretty soon it'll start to taste like love".

Ha, amazing! But teens might not get those lines... The little Jenna love story it's so cute, almost twilight themed I felt. LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. I could about it write all night, but I'm sure most of you have stopped reading by now.

I can't wait to see Season 3, I applaud the writers! We want more!!

must watch....best teen drama series!!

Author: impulse124 from Pakistan
6 November 2012

Its the BEST teenager drama series i've ever watched!! its kind of funny as well so overall i'll give it a ten star rating ♥ Ashley Rickards' acting is AWESOME!!! Its a must watch!!! What I personally like about this drama is that it has romance and humor combined together and so its an EPIC!!! this makes it kind of unique! plus a thirty minute drama doesn't bores you i must say!!! it is about an ordinary girl Jenna who has to decide between love(Matty) and loyalty(Jake)! She has to face many problems and so act as a guideline for girls everywhere that to do in difficult situations!!! Overall it contains all sort of information a teenager drama or movie should have...and nothing over exaggerating!!! So its definitely a must watch!

'Awkward.' delivers, sometimes stereotypical though

Author: jmk1997 from United States
19 October 2012

I've watched every episode of 'Awkward' from start to finish. The drama, acting, and comedy are well produced and it seems like MTV didn't even create this show that has almost everyone begging for more. Season two had me on edge the whole entire time, the plots were great. I've never seen that much good acting on a show produced by MTV before.

Stereotypes kind of take away from the show though, there's the classic "girl who wants to be popular" (Tamara), "sexually attached girl" (Jenna), etc. MTV has a big problem with creating stereotypes with every show they have created.

In conclusion, Awkward. is a great show that has a little stupidness in it like every other show.

Honest and funny, if a bit of a tonal mish-mash at times

Author: runamokprods from US
10 November 2012

While it's combination of almost surreal humor and real emotion can sometimes be… well… awkward, the first season is still among the better and more honest series about teenagers I've seen.

I'm a male over 50, so I'm certainly not the target audience for this MTV show about a spunky blogging 15 year old girl dealing with the confusions and absurdities of sex, love, high school social politics, and well meaning but humorously dysfunctional parents and guidance counselors.

But after friends recommended it I started watching and found I appreciated it's frankness, quirky characters and good natured humor. I also liked how it dealt with issues like sex and drinking as simply a part of teenage life, neither preaching morality (kids have sex and no one gets pregnant, they know to wear condoms, and they do sometimes get their hearts broken) nor striving to shock.

The acting is all over the place, often cartoony, and a number of characters are little more than comic clichés, but as the the show goes along a surprising number of them reveal new sides and new depth. If not quite great, Awkward season 1 is quite good and very easy to enjoy... if you don't mind bringing back some of your own awkward memories as you realize the teen years really aren't so different now.

The second season seemed weaker to me, it started to push plot twists over character, and began to feel a little soapy. It still is a cut above average, but in reaching for more tension and 'what will happen?' moments, it lost some of the easy looseness that made season 1 so much fun.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]