IMDb > "Face Off" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Face Off"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Face Off" More at IMDbPro »

Often mind-boggling...

Author: poe426 from USA
17 February 2012

It's been said that, given a set of paints and a brush and a million years, a chimp could paint the Mona Lisa. Maybe. Given a makeup kit and a million years, I seriously doubt I could do a decent zombie makeup. I've tried; it's just not something I'll ever be good at. The makeups the contestants on this show crank out, with the clock ticking and under microscopic scrutiny, is mind-boggling. I don't think I've seen a single creation by any one of them that I would hesitate to put front and center. Regardless of whether or not they "make it" on this show, they've all got more artistic ability in their pinkie toes than I do in my entire bulk. As far as I'm concerned, there ARE no losers on this show. Sincerely, Dazzled.

One of my favorites

Author: Fourthingsandalizard from United States
17 March 2012

I can see how this show might not appeal to everyone, and MacKenzie Westmore is admittedly very robot-like, but aside from such small issues, it's entertaining T.V. One doesn't have to be a make-up artist to enjoy it. The entertainment stems from not only seeing the end make-ups,(although they are usually awesome)but from the interaction between the artists, seeing how they rise to the challenge, seeing what exactly goes into a make-up, and what matters to the judges. I don't usually watch reality T.V., but I have looked forward every week to the next episode; the next challenge. I would recommend "Face Off" to anyone who enjoys art.

Best Competition Show

Author: cafesmitty from maryland
29 May 2013

You know what is truly great about this competition show? People either win or lose not base on personality and the rest of the country calling, but by the experts. The judges are in the business and it is only appropriate that they along decide the fate of who goes on and who don't. I've seen some remarkable creations by some extremely talented and dedicate makeup professionals. You get to see a lot of the behind the scenes stuff and techniques in creature/character creations and how to make quality stuff on a budget. The contestants are always working with a time constraint and the stuff that comes out of their heads from just a suggestion is amazing. None of it comes off fake... none of that fake personality clash drama and a lot of the contestants tend to help out their fellow competitors, whether it is releasing a mode or coming up with a concept. I think that if this is your passion, to get into the movie business and be a creature/makeup professional this is a MUST show for you to watch. But even for a layman like me, I find it fascinating. And I generally like all the contestants on the show (except Frank from the first season). But I would love to just have a room full of paints and stuff and just told to create something. Even if I was to fail, it still would be so amazingly cool. And when people "don't" get along, they do tolerate, but it isn't fake. There is no yelling at each other or over the top acting out. It's just about people who are passionate about makeup. I give it a 10 as in not comparison to scripted show, but only comparison to other unscripted show and for me, its the best.

Fantastic Show without Fake Drama

Author: nephalinesyenite from Canada
23 December 2013

This is an example of a great reality show, what all should aspire to be; a competition about creativity, ability and skill. It is entrancing to see what the contestants can create in such a short amount of time, so much of their work is beautiful or grotesque (as required). When people see a movie, they just don't realize the talent and work required to bring these special effects to screen. Digital special effects have become the norm, but watching Face Off will make anyone appreciate the hands on teams and sometimes unsung heroes who do the Special Effects Makeups.

There is very little drama here between contestants, and when there is, it's real. Even though they are competing for a huge prize, and bragging rights, the contestants usually support each other. They give each other critiques in the work room, and when one has a problem, other contestants will often stop their own work to help them! It's obvious that the contestants are often forming real friendships that will last beyond the show.

May not always agree with the judges decisions of who should win or be eliminated, but their decisions are rarely shocking, and judging appears to be fair.

I'll agree with other reviewers that Mackenzie is a bit stiff as a host, it's not easy to find a host who has the right combination of warmth, poise, and likability (Cat Deeley, Padma Lakshmi). Mackenzie at least has an understanding of the industry because of her father Michael Westmore.

An Artist's Favorite Reality Show!

Author: Danielle Burke from United States
9 April 2013

This is a show all about make-up artists and their journey to the top. Contestants receive challenges and create make-ups that are revealed to a panel of judges, the well done creation wins, while the person who lacks something is sent home. It's not your average reality show. No fake tanned "guidos", idiots begging for attention. These contestants are usually quite intelligent, and pretty freaking creative. I can't tell you how many episodes I have recorded on my DVR. I watch them over and over all the time. Not only is it entertaining, but it teaches helpful tips about make- up. Especially those who hope to be the mastermind behind movie magic. I highly recommend it to my fellow artists! ^_^

Now I'm feelin' zombiefied...

Author: mylucylumpkins
27 July 2011

This show and I have somewhat of a love-hate relationship. It had some really great things going for it, but it seems like the whole concept could have been better executed. The majority of the competitors were highly talented and I enjoyed watching them work and seeing their creations. Some of them seemed like they were thrown into the mix for the sake of creating drama and conflict. The judges, on the other hand, could have been chosen better. My only guess is that the judge selection came from lack of funding or inability of talented professionals to be able to commit. The best judges were the periodical guest star judges. If anyone affiliated with any of the Underworld film criticized my work, I would give myself a pat on the back for staying away from mediocrity.

I loved the concept and most of the work done, especially the choreographed zombie episode. They actually had Greg Nicotero judging, which I highly apprenticed. I do feel that we were all robbed of our ending. I think that if it had went down to the audience vote, it would have been between Gage Hubbard and Tate Steinsiek. All in all, I think that it was a great idea and some really unbelievable talent put into the wrong hands, but I would definitely tune in every week for a new season.

Love this show!

Author: TyTheRipper from United States
21 April 2013

Being an aspiring FX makeup artist of course I'm going to love this show! I tune in every week and even find myself picking a cast member as a favorite for the season. Its an interesting show for EVERYONE! Even if you are not into doing FX its still a very fun show. I do wonder at times if the show might not be rigged sadly, at times the judges make very poor decisions that result in a cast member being thrown out that has dominated the majority of the season or favoring one that has been lacking. They do however portray the cast members accurately (most) of the time, i have trained under a past cast member and they never once made them out to be a villain or bad guy. I highly recommend it! You cant go wrong with this one!

Original or Mediocre: Depends Upon The Episode

Author: CinematicThylacine
13 March 2014

FaceOff is a show that varies in quality from episode to episode, it all is based on both the challenges and the contestants. Sometimes you'll have a great weekly challenge but mediocre artists, and sometimes you'll have outstanding artists with an uninspiring weekly challenge. When it's "bad" it's slightly boring at worst, when it's "good" it's freaking epic! For every two or three boring generic make ups on this show there is one awesome one that will make you drop your jaw in amazement. Special mention goes to the Neptune Werewolf, RJ's Lizard Flower, and a majority of makeups that Roy or Eric Fox made. If FaceOff had awesome challenges and awesome make ups every episode I would give it a 9, however since this is not always the case I can only give it an 8....

Not your average elimination show!

Author: genesis42088-293-689227 from United States
28 August 2012

Defiantly not a show for younger viewers because its like any other elimination show; People are unpredictable and can cuss someone out on one episode or get in a physical altercation the next. I have yet to see anything like that is this show, but the blood and special effects are not age appropriate for children. I honestly can say that this truly is one of the best elimination show I have ever seen and really hope to see many more seasons. It defiantly is a must see for anyone who enjoys special effects in movies. The fact that movies are an every day joy for most people, it gives you a look behind the curtains and see the blood and sweat the make-up artiest go through to make the next movie better then the last. I loved hearing that the first seasons winner worked on The Hunger Games and look forward to seeing more of them become successful.

Pleasant, Fun, and Entertaining

Author: charlesbeutt from United States
31 August 2012

The show is great, I love the videos that show the original model and the transition into their make up. I feel the passion of the contestants without the stupid fake drama of most of the shows out there.

The only thing I don't like about this show is the attractive blonde "announcer". I know that strange to hear, but she or even her role is really annoying- although perhaps necessary.

"Move forward" "Move back" "Who won the challenge" "Who is going home?" "Judges have you reached a decision?"

Same comments, every show, show after show. With a nasal robotic tone, that shows how bored she is (I would be too). I get angry when the interesting parts are interrupted by her announcing something.

She's really the only person on the show, where they never talk about her credentials or why shes there. She doesn't even dress "hot" enough to really be eye candy. Don't get me wrong, she's a beautiful woman, but robotic, passionless, and not really revealing much skin.

Anyway, Just my reasoning why the show doesn't get a 10/10.