IMDb > Fun Size (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Not typical Nickelodeon

Author: canadian58 from United States
15 March 2013

Never have I seen a Nickelodeon movie packed with more foul language, drinking, illegal behavior, and sexual references than Fun Size. The title, and the fact that it's a Nick movie, falsely implies that parents should take their kids and go see it. False, as this movie is supposed to target high school kids as its primary audience. It does have jokes in it that kids would find funny, but in my mind, it's pretty inappropriate to be viewed by younger kids.

That's not to say it isn't entertaining. There's lots of hit-and-miss going on here, with about half of the jokes actually succeeding in being funny. I did laugh out loud several times, which is the only reason I'm rating this at a 5/10.

The plot itself is very weak, and we wonder why the police aren't assisting Wren in finding her brother. Also, the girl who is supposed to be her best friend doesn't seem the least bit interested in helping her. And the two boys who like Wren, one a jock, and one a geek, look almost identical. Then the subplot involving the little brother and a dorky convenience store clerk who wants revenge on someone, which we never really find out why, at least I didn't pick up on it. ("I'm not luring a little kid into my car.") Wren's father just recently passed, and her mother is dating a 26 year old moron who lives with his parents. (Why, you ask? My guess is they needed a reason for the mother to be leaving the house for the night.)

To summarize, there were some pretty funny moments, but as a movie, it's below average at best. Definitely not Nickelodeon's best work, by a long shot, but at least I don't feel like I wasted 90 minutes of my life. 5/10

Not Fun At Any Size.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
25 December 2015

Fun Size (2012): Dir: Josh Schwartz / Cast: Victoria Justice, Jane Levy, Chelsea Handler, Thomas Mann, Jackson Niccol: Perhaps the title references the young kid that runs about throughout in a Spider-Man costume on Halloween night but it doesn't matter. The film isn't fun at any size. It stars Victoria Justice who is disappointed because her Halloween plans are sabotaged when her widowed mother decide to go to a Halloween party with a much younger guy. Justice is joined by her cynical friend, played by Jane Levy. They manage to lose the kid brother who is hardly anything like a normal kid. He is like a junior James Bond. Most kids would be scared but this one has the same life line as the Home Alone kids. This kid gets into a car with a convenient store clerk who has no social life. This film could have been Superbad but instead it becomes an insult to the genre. We get to see a large plastic chicken crash through a car in the appearance of anal humping. We have another situation where the young kid is locked in a house after a prank gone wrong. Director Josh Schwartz has one element to his favor and that is the locations, otherwise this potential cult film becomes a lazy exercise in crude humour that resorts to naked children on the toilet. The characters are dull and the cast can merely recite tired jokes, except for Jackson Niccol as the kid who just makes facial reactions and shrugs a lot. Superbad had genuine character, meaning and payoff that viewers may relate to. The only sizable fun thing about this junk is the massive stampede to the theatre lobby to ask for a refund. This film is more trick than treat. Score: 2 / 10

Strange Film From Nickelodeon Studios

Author: jfgibson73 from United States
24 October 2015

This movie had such a strange tone to it. It resembles a teen comedy, but from the marketing, it's easy to mistake it as a family film. It somehow ends up being very chaste while pushing the limits of the PG-13 rating. The way the scenes play out have a very odd timing and delivery; I think that on paper, it would read as a pretty clever script, but often feels clunky and amateurish in execution. So the result was that there were a lot of times I was ready to laugh, but as a scene unfolded, ended up more confused by the unusual choices. The Nickelodeon brand adds to that confusion, being that parents expect to trust it for family entertainment. I think a strong director with a good sense of who the audience was for this movie could have made a little bit better film.

Entertaining enough, yet mildly inappropriate for its audience. (Spoilers)

Author: daisyvision from United States
3 February 2014

First of all, I'm not sure who this movie is marketed to. Kids? Nickelodeon's logo scrolls at the beginning of the movie giving that impression, yet there are crass jokes such as "tadpoles in your dad's sac". There's also breast touching, sexual tension during said breast touching, and a boy commenting on his mother's small boobs. This would be fine and dandy, if the rest of the content wasn't so juvenile. I personally don't mind crass jokes, but I felt as if they were out of place. I just felt as though type of people who'd appreciate tadpoles in ball sacs aren't going to enjoy watching a one-armed Spider-Man fool adults out of candy while trick-or-treating. (You may think I'm being a "prude" with this review, but I appreciate the humor and gratuitous nudity in films such as "Harold & Kumar". It's juts that "Harold & Kumar" knows what it is and what sort of audience is watching it.)

Alfred is supposed to be the charming yet devious little boy character, but he was just so unlikeable. You're introduced to him on the toilet, hearing the sound effects of poop plopping into the water. As if once weren't enough, the last shot you see is, likewise, Alfred pooping on the toilet - sound effects and all. It's not funny, it's pretty gross, actually. Make sure you aren't snacking on popcorn while you watch.

A lot of the antics the teenagers get into while driving around feel very forced, with little resolution. Peng shooting chicken at a bully that he never encounters again? A kid totals his car, and his mothers not only don't care, but give him keys to a second car? I don't know. I just don't believe anything presented to me, and yet it doesn't have that surreality of something like "Tide Land". Though, it wasn't a complete waste of time. Thomas Middleditch & Thomas Mann play charming characters, Victoria Justice and Jane Levy are likewise talented actors who tried their best to bring lukewarm material to life. If you're looking for a slightly inappropriate and awkward Halloween movie to watch with the family, well, why not? Just don't expect too much out of it.

Fun Size Review

Author: FilmGuy34567 from United States
16 June 2013

Fun Size- *1/2 (out of four): There are more laughs and more fun in an episode of "Victorious" than in this farce of a film, which would have fared better had it been released straight to DVD. It is crudely written, the teenage qualms seem entirely artificial and clichéd. There are some funny and even sweet moments in it, but the bad outweighs the good here. It tries to pay homage to older (and better) teen flicks of the '80s, but it falls far short, emerging as little more than a comedy full of gags and stereotypical characters. It might be enjoyable for a small minority of people, but I'm sure most will be quite bored by it. Definitely one to skip.

The Fun Is Tiny, But The Size Is Huge!

Author: groovyjazzychick889 from United Kingdom
16 February 2014

Fun Size is the teen comedy produced by Nickeloden (the company who are responsible for iCarly and Wizards of Waveraly Place). It is about a girl who is forced to babysit her little brother when Halloween plans go awry. However, he goes missing and she has to set out with her nerd friends to find him...wow, that is a bland plot.

I have to admit, I didn't admire the idea of watching it judging from the trailer, but my friends wanted to see it, so I decided to give it a shot...what a dreadful mistake that was.

I must have slept through most of the movie, as I can't really remember what happened, but I was jumping for joy in my seat when it finished. This is a plain, dim-witted, over-the-top and rarely funny film, which has an uninteresting storyline, stereotypical characters (the glamorous girls who fall in love with hot boys and the nerds with big glasses and rabbit teeth) and gross jokes (gross as in reference to sexual acts).

The film is clearly aimed at young teenage girls, (it certainly didn't hit me)and is good for the drama queens.

Halloween fun

Author: thekarmicnomad from United Kingdom
21 March 2016

A high-school girl - intent on attending a Halloween party hosted by the most popular boy in school- is forced to baby sit her adoringly troublesome younger brother whilst her mother undergoes a midlife crisis. An adventure ensues.

This is a pretty disposable, teen flick with nothing particularly new - a kind of "Superbad - lite". But I think it has a lot going for it.

The actors and characters are great and there is quite a lot going on under the bonnet. There are the normal teen themes of individualism, friendship and peer pressure. But there is also threads regarding loss and acceptance. It even looks at the mother who now finds her life at a loose end.

But of course this movie is mostly about fun! It has its fair share of losers and jocks and cute little kids blowing things up with cherry bombs. etc. etc.

This is hardly "Apocalypse Now" but for a afternoon NetFlix movie you could do an awful lot worse.

Aptly named

Author: Fluke_Skywalker from United States
9 June 2015

'Fun Size' is in the mold of movies like 'Adventures in Babysitting', and though it dusts off all of the old genre tropes, it does so with a likable enough charm.

In typical Hollywood fashion we're supposed to believe that girls who look like Victoria Justice and Jane Levy are unpopular, but both young actresses are talented enough to pull off their somewhat dorky characters and make us forget--for 90 minutes at least--that they're drop dead beautiful. But it's young Jackson Nicoll (of 'Bad Grandpa' fame) as little brother Albert who steals the show.

Not really funny so much as amusing, 'Fun Size' is an entertaining, if disposable, little treat.

"Fun Size" - Fun, fun, fun!

Author: dee.reid from United States
12 May 2013

Now here is one Fun-Sized flick that may get some parents in an uproar: "Fun Size" is an amusing 86-minute distraction from Nickelodeon Productions that's rated "PG-13" and that alone should caution some parents that this teen flick may not be all that appropriate for anyone - obviously - who is under the age of 13.

For a brief 86 minutes, the "PG-13" rating actually means something again.

But I digress. By virtue of the mere fact that it's produced by Nickelodeon, there are some misguided parents who will no doubt take their kids to see it anyway. Hence, the confusion over some irate parents who don't think it's appropriate for their young ones.

I'm 27. I grew up when Nickelodeon was still catering almost exclusively to the entertainment demands of kids (and still had a smidgen of intelligence). Then during the mid-1990s, the channel began a massive face-palming descent into idiocy as it began replacing staples of its animated and live-action programming with idiotic crap. "Doug" and "Rugrats" soon gave way to "SpongeBob SquarePants" and "The Wild Thornberrys."

The channel briefly redeemed itself with the Japanese Anime'-inspired animated fantasy-adventure series "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (and later its follow-up, "The Legend of Korra").

In more recent years, however, Nickelodeon seems to be catering almost exclusively to the demands of teenagers, with shows like "iCarly," "Zoey 101," and "Victorious" ruling the airwaves; I actually really liked "iCarly" and "Victorious" - before Nick unceremoniously canceled them.

And this is how we arrived at this new film from Josh Schwartz - the creator of "The O.C." and "Gossip Girl" who makes his directorial debut here, while working from Max Werner's screenplay. "Fun Size" takes equal bits of classic teen flicks such as "Sixteen Candles" (1984) and "Adventures in Babysitting" (1987). Whipsmart high school geeky nobody Wren (Victoria Justice, of the aforementioned "Victorious") gets invited to a Halloween-night bash headed by the hunky Aaron Riley (Thomas McDonnell), who has a habit of dressing up as the lead character from his favorite movies, in this case Johnny Depp's Capt. Jack Sparrow from the "Pirates of the Caribbean" film series.

Her plans get sidetracked when her cradle-robbing widowed mother Joy (Chelsea Handler) gets invited to a grown-ups-only Halloween party of her own by her current immature man-boy obsession Keevin (John Pence). This means that Wren must now babysit her eight-year-old younger brother Albert (Jackson Nicoll), who hasn't spoken a single word in almost year, ever since the death of their father. But also like their father, Albert still maintains a strong penchant for crude pranks and general raising hell whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Things get complicated when trick-or-treating during the course of the night, Albert winds up missing (thus becoming the unlikely companion of a slightly miffed convenience store clerk named Fuzzy - played by Thomas Middleditch - on his Halloween-night quest of vengeance against his ex-girlfriend and her new boy-toy) and it's up to Wren, her best friend April (Jane Levy) and two nerdy classmates - Roosevelt (Thomas Mann, of "Project X") and Peng (Osric Chau) - to track him down and get him back home before her mother finds out. The story's central emotional tussle is Wren realizing her mutual attraction to her nerdy, E.O. Wilson-obsessed classmate Roosevelt - who actually understands her lousy jokes about not only biologist E.O. Wilson, but also Ruth Bader Ginsberg - rather than the hunky Aaron Riley.

"Fun Size" offers a nice performance from Victoria Justice as the high-strung, improbably gorgeous nerdy-girl Wren. And Thomas Mann turns in another great Everyman role (as he did in "Project X") as her true love Roosevelt. But of course, it's young Jackson Nicoll who has the most fun as Albert, the Tasmanian Devil eight-year-old kid from hell. "Fun Size" also does manage to produce some genuinely funny moments here & there, although some of these moments may fly over the heads of parents who may be shaking their heads at some of the cruder material. But that's why "Fun Size" is rated "PG-13," in addition to some decidedly rough language in more than a few spots. And then there's comedienne Chelsea Handler's Halloween get-up as a "Hit Me Baby One More Time"-era Britney Spears, attire she wears out of profound grief for the death of her husband.

Lastly, there's also a nice twist near the end of the picture involving, all else, the Beastie Boys, from their "Licensed to Ill" era back in the mid-'80s.

"Fun Size" is 86 minutes of pure fun, fun, fun!

Not safe for human consumption.

Author: Johnny Hollywood (jnatsis@iprimus.com.au) from Sydney, Australia
24 November 2012

Cue opening title cards. 'Paramount Pictures presents'…all good so far. 'A Nickelodeon film.' One can almost feel their gut falling right through the seat, because what might have been a bearable yet unmemorable way to spend a lazy hour-and-a-half has just become a chore of grand proportions. The company's penchant for bottom-brow humour, borderline-insulting stereotypes and colourful sets over a competent plot again rears its disfigured head with Fun Size: a film so utterly contrived that even its target market of bright-eyed tweens may begin to question Mum and Dad's sanity in stringing them along.

The film follows socially awkward teen Wren's (Victoria Justice) efforts to help her single mom (Chelsea Handler) take care of hell-raising baby brother Albert (Jackson Nicoll). When Wren has to babysit him during Halloween, Albert creates his own adventure, forcing his sister to band with the local nerd patrol and bring him back home safely.

Intertwined in this menial plot is just about every cliché conceivable under the tween dramedy genre. At no point does Fun Size invoke any more than a louder-than-usual exhale through the nose- the kind of laugh where you don't find anything funny per se, but acknowledge the other person's attempt at humour if for no other reason than to break tension.

The screenplay screams of a six-hour effort, characterisation is non-existent and any attempts to make characters likable backfire profusely, none more evident than through Albert himself, whose smug, rotund face is not quite as mischievous as it is deserving of a clip around the ears to set him straight. Osric Chau and Thomas Middleditch do their best with minimal material, but by that stage they might as well be using a cup of water to douse the Great Fire of London. The disaster's going to go ahead anyway.

*There's nothing I love more than a bit of feedback, good or bad. So drop me a line on jnatsis@iprimus.com.au and let me know what you thought of my review. If you're looking for a writer for your movie website or other publication, I'd also love to hear from you.*

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]