IMDb > Fun Size (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Aptly named

Author: Fluke_Skywalker from United States
9 June 2015

'Fun Size' is in the mold of movies like 'Adventures in Babysitting', and though it dusts off all of the old genre tropes, it does so with a likable enough charm.

In typical Hollywood fashion we're supposed to believe that girls who look like Victoria Justice and Jane Levy are unpopular, but both young actresses are talented enough to pull off their somewhat dorky characters and make us forget--for 90 minutes at least--that they're drop dead beautiful. But it's young Jackson Nicoll (of 'Bad Grandpa' fame) as little brother Albert who steals the show.

Not really funny so much as amusing, 'Fun Size' is an entertaining, if disposable, little treat.

"Fun Size" - Fun, fun, fun!

Author: dee.reid from United States
12 May 2013

Now here is one Fun-Sized flick that may get some parents in an uproar: "Fun Size" is an amusing 86-minute distraction from Nickelodeon Productions that's rated "PG-13" and that alone should caution some parents that this teen flick may not be all that appropriate for anyone - obviously - who is under the age of 13.

For a brief 86 minutes, the "PG-13" rating actually means something again.

But I digress. By virtue of the mere fact that it's produced by Nickelodeon, there are some misguided parents who will no doubt take their kids to see it anyway. Hence, the confusion over some irate parents who don't think it's appropriate for their young ones.

I'm 27. I grew up when Nickelodeon was still catering almost exclusively to the entertainment demands of kids (and still had a smidgen of intelligence). Then during the mid-1990s, the channel began a massive face-palming descent into idiocy as it began replacing staples of its animated and live-action programming with idiotic crap. "Doug" and "Rugrats" soon gave way to "SpongeBob SquarePants" and "The Wild Thornberrys."

The channel briefly redeemed itself with the Japanese Anime'-inspired animated fantasy-adventure series "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (and later its follow-up, "The Legend of Korra").

In more recent years, however, Nickelodeon seems to be catering almost exclusively to the demands of teenagers, with shows like "iCarly," "Zoey 101," and "Victorious" ruling the airwaves; I actually really liked "iCarly" and "Victorious" - before Nick unceremoniously canceled them.

And this is how we arrived at this new film from Josh Schwartz - the creator of "The O.C." and "Gossip Girl" who makes his directorial debut here, while working from Max Werner's screenplay. "Fun Size" takes equal bits of classic teen flicks such as "Sixteen Candles" (1984) and "Adventures in Babysitting" (1987). Whipsmart high school geeky nobody Wren (Victoria Justice, of the aforementioned "Victorious") gets invited to a Halloween-night bash headed by the hunky Aaron Riley (Thomas McDonnell), who has a habit of dressing up as the lead character from his favorite movies, in this case Johnny Depp's Capt. Jack Sparrow from the "Pirates of the Caribbean" film series.

Her plans get sidetracked when her cradle-robbing widowed mother Joy (Chelsea Handler) gets invited to a grown-ups-only Halloween party of her own by her current immature man-boy obsession Keevin (John Pence). This means that Wren must now babysit her eight-year-old younger brother Albert (Jackson Nicoll), who hasn't spoken a single word in almost year, ever since the death of their father. But also like their father, Albert still maintains a strong penchant for crude pranks and general raising hell whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Things get complicated when trick-or-treating during the course of the night, Albert winds up missing (thus becoming the unlikely companion of a slightly miffed convenience store clerk named Fuzzy - played by Thomas Middleditch - on his Halloween-night quest of vengeance against his ex-girlfriend and her new boy-toy) and it's up to Wren, her best friend April (Jane Levy) and two nerdy classmates - Roosevelt (Thomas Mann, of "Project X") and Peng (Osric Chau) - to track him down and get him back home before her mother finds out. The story's central emotional tussle is Wren realizing her mutual attraction to her nerdy, E.O. Wilson-obsessed classmate Roosevelt - who actually understands her lousy jokes about not only biologist E.O. Wilson, but also Ruth Bader Ginsberg - rather than the hunky Aaron Riley.

"Fun Size" offers a nice performance from Victoria Justice as the high-strung, improbably gorgeous nerdy-girl Wren. And Thomas Mann turns in another great Everyman role (as he did in "Project X") as her true love Roosevelt. But of course, it's young Jackson Nicoll who has the most fun as Albert, the Tasmanian Devil eight-year-old kid from hell. "Fun Size" also does manage to produce some genuinely funny moments here & there, although some of these moments may fly over the heads of parents who may be shaking their heads at some of the cruder material. But that's why "Fun Size" is rated "PG-13," in addition to some decidedly rough language in more than a few spots. And then there's comedienne Chelsea Handler's Halloween get-up as a "Hit Me Baby One More Time"-era Britney Spears, attire she wears out of profound grief for the death of her husband.

Lastly, there's also a nice twist near the end of the picture involving, all else, the Beastie Boys, from their "Licensed to Ill" era back in the mid-'80s.

"Fun Size" is 86 minutes of pure fun, fun, fun!

Not safe for human consumption.

Author: Johnny Hollywood (jnatsis@iprimus.com.au) from Sydney, Australia
24 November 2012

Cue opening title cards. 'Paramount Pictures presents'…all good so far. 'A Nickelodeon film.' One can almost feel their gut falling right through the seat, because what might have been a bearable yet unmemorable way to spend a lazy hour-and-a-half has just become a chore of grand proportions. The company's penchant for bottom-brow humour, borderline-insulting stereotypes and colourful sets over a competent plot again rears its disfigured head with Fun Size: a film so utterly contrived that even its target market of bright-eyed tweens may begin to question Mum and Dad's sanity in stringing them along.

The film follows socially awkward teen Wren's (Victoria Justice) efforts to help her single mom (Chelsea Handler) take care of hell-raising baby brother Albert (Jackson Nicoll). When Wren has to babysit him during Halloween, Albert creates his own adventure, forcing his sister to band with the local nerd patrol and bring him back home safely.

Intertwined in this menial plot is just about every cliché conceivable under the tween dramedy genre. At no point does Fun Size invoke any more than a louder-than-usual exhale through the nose- the kind of laugh where you don't find anything funny per se, but acknowledge the other person's attempt at humour if for no other reason than to break tension.

The screenplay screams of a six-hour effort, characterisation is non-existent and any attempts to make characters likable backfire profusely, none more evident than through Albert himself, whose smug, rotund face is not quite as mischievous as it is deserving of a clip around the ears to set him straight. Osric Chau and Thomas Middleditch do their best with minimal material, but by that stage they might as well be using a cup of water to douse the Great Fire of London. The disaster's going to go ahead anyway.

*There's nothing I love more than a bit of feedback, good or bad. So drop me a line on jnatsis@iprimus.com.au and let me know what you thought of my review. If you're looking for a writer for your movie website or other publication, I'd also love to hear from you.*

Decent

Author: SanteeFats from United States
6 December 2013

A pretty good movie in my opinion. Maybe a little risqué for a Nick movie but what the hey. Victoria Justice is the sister who loses her brother while reluctantly taking him out for Trick or Treat. Man she has some skinny legs though. Hope they fill out but at her age I doubt it. Jane Levy is the best friend who dresses like a kitty and seems to have only one thing on her mind, no no that, being cool. Unfortunately that is is blown at the end when she wakes up with a nerd. Both are fully dressed so I guess no hanky panky is suppose to have happened. Albert is the lost brother. He doesn't talk except when they visit his father's grave, until the end if the movie anyway. I think this movie is funny and also filled with teenage angst. The nerd boys want the girls and the girls want the hot or cool guys. Things don't end up that way but it looks like most end up happy.

Comedy/romantic/sad moments

Author: fedezucchi-rs from Assisi, Italy
10 July 2013

This movie is hard to describes. There are sad and romantic moments put at the end of it and comic moments for the rest of the movie. The kind of comedy used in this movie is particular because we can find ''American Pie's sense of humor'' (as the chicken behind the car in the fast food scene) or humorists expression and actions made by little spider man (that are my favorites).

In my opinion the movie had to cut of the sad part that is interesting itself but that loses its meaning in a fun movie. The fact that there are these 3 topics all together makes this movie ordinary as any other American movie of this kind. The character of the mother is really interesting! Those minutes in which she says more or less everything about her life during the Halloween party, when she sits in the living room, is so emotional because we can see how the revolutionary mum who goes to party and stuff...changes completely, and we see the reason of that attitude and is my opinion it was a really good moment to develop in a great way!

Tries it's darndest to channel John Hughes and in some respects really does

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
20 February 2013

First off...there is no doubt that Fun Size is incredibly cheesy, over the top, impossible and requires you to truly turn off your brain, but so what?! I think that it tries very hard to capture those classic teen romp films like Adventures in Babysitting and John Hughes films however, sadly I think Fun Size doesn't quite hit that level of intelligence. The biggest issue with Fun Size is that it doesn't know what demographic its trying to hit. Its a Nickelodeon film but is far too mature for 10-12 year olds (in my opinion) and too silly for 13-16 year olds, so I suppose it'll appeal to a select few of full blown adults like myself that are looking to recapture their youth or just turn off their brain and laugh but that isn't a demographic that will make this successful. It does try very hard and despite all odds it is surprisingly funny at times, and even a little touching however predictable it might be. There are so few movies that are actually about Halloween so maybe this one will become its own cheesy classic. Certainly if you're willing to put the time in you need to lower your expectations and don't over think it. You'll enjoy the sheer silliness of it.

Nickelodeon starlet Victoria Justice is very good in the lead role of Wren. She is believable, down to earth, and carries the movie quite easily. I actually think her level of acting ability probably exceeds a movie like this but she is owned lock stock and barrel by Nickelodeon so this is her lot in life for now. Jackson Nicoll is the adorably silent trouble maker Albert. He easily steals the show with his performance. He is perfectly cast and just so good at making you laugh as he goes on his madcap adventure. Chelsea Handler (who I don't like at all) actually pulls off a toned down comedic performance that is tolerable. That really is a big compliment coming from me towards her. Jane Levy is decent as the obligatory "best friend." The unfortunate part is that sometimes her character really does get irritating in her consistently selfish dialogue and character development. Thomas Mann is our geeky friend that loves our main character. He is good but certainly doesn't give a stand out performance. Mann and Justice are okay together but lack a certain top notch chemistry. Thomas Middleditch is also one of the better performances in a character that is slapstick and fun. Johnny Knoxville is appropriately dumb and over the top, its really the perfect role for him and I mean that as a backhanded compliment as well.

I can understand where some people would really be down on this film. There is no doubt that it is full of clichés, in fact every character nearly reeks of cliché. TV master Josh Schwartz helms this film and he has certainly created and worked on some truly great TV shows and I'm not sure this is his best creation but he definitely sincerely tries. I couldn't help but laugh my way through this. The Chicken shack scene was priceless and despite being cliché so many of the physical comedy scenes, and situations that they get into are genuinely funny and certainly worth watching if you can put your expectations in check. 7/10

so sad

Author: ria_kearney from fermoy, ireland
19 December 2013

movie was bad bad story bad writing bad acting bad talking i do not know how to spell the other that,s why i said talking bad jokes a little boy gets kidnapped by Cubans,s that sounds funny doesn't it and of course the car crash were no one is hurt that is just stupid oh my god it is boring if no one gets hurt think people think for god sake wheres the mom where is the mom oh of course having good times with Cubans real good parting there leaving your kids alone and the award goes to the jokes and what joke you ask this one fart thats the funniest joke in this movie god save me take me away from this movie pretty please

Not Fun At All

Author: Carlos Flores (carlitosflores@live.com.mx) from Mexico
8 March 2013

I must first clarify that I like this kind of movies, is not a difficult formula to work, the popular and the losers young or teenagers, familiar faces or trendy, funny and absurd situations, etc.

In the case of "Fun Size" which reminded me of "License to Drive" despite having known faces such as Victoria Justice, Chelsea Handler and Johnny Knoxville, nothing seems to work.

It is one of the least funny comedy movies I've ever seen, I didn't get a laugh or even a smile, the characters are recycled, pretentious and soulless. Or maybe more than the characters the problem is a bad script or a very poor choice of cast. Even details like the color hair or the costume of the protagonist's seems to be accurate. It's all a mess.

I understand what they wanted to do but they did not. They had the elements but weren't able to capitalize them. It was a big disappointment for me.

And just what size was that exactly...?

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
7 August 2013

"Fun Size" is a fun movie if you are a kid or a young teenager. However, the fun starts to wear off once you get out of your teens and watch this movie. Yeah, this is first and foremost a movie for the younger audience.

The story is about Wren (played by Victoria Justice) whose Halloween plans becomes complicated and the evening turns out entirely different from what she had planned. Not only doesn't she get to hang out with the cool guy from school at a party, but she also loses her younger brother and end up having to run from two bullies chasing her and her friends in their car.

Overall, then for a young audience, then "Fun Size" does have its laughs and moments. But being out of the target audience age group, the movie wasn't all that enjoyable for me. Now, I am not saying that the movie is bad, far from it. It just appeals to a certain group in the audience.

Actually the performances put on in the movie were quite good, and people were doing good jobs with their given roles. Lots of good chemistry between the various people and their characters.

Fun for those younger viewers, and I am sure that this is something great to watch for that particular age group. The movie sort of have that early Lindsay Lohan touch to it when she was around 10 years of age and making these particular kind of movies. So if you enjoy light comedies, then dinner is served...

Predictable and unoriginal but somewhat watchable

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
4 March 2013

This is one of those predictable and unoriginal family movie. It doesn't try to be overly safe but it's pretty predictable. The nice guy liking a girl but the girl is into this so called cool guy. Well in this case some wannabe Johnny Depp dude. But it doesn't revolve around that scenario much instead it's a modern day journey for a night for the protagonist girl to find his lost trouble-making younger brother. And the main protagonist is the only somewhat rational one while everyone else is a bit wacko. Yeah, this is one of those movies. I liked how everything comes together though even if it's done in a predictable and unoriginal manner. Like how the nerdy guy finally gets the courage to fight for his love and etc. It's watchable but there is better movies when it comes to these types of genre. But I give it credit for trying to be a family friendly movie. And it's humorous although when it comes to those moments it's very few.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]