IMDb > Fun Size (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Fun Size More at IMDbPro »

Better than expected

Author: Tomaz Adour from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
12 February 2013

I could not understand the low rate of this movie. I thought it was an horror comedy movie but it is really a comedy.

I started laughing in the beginning and the best character is Albert, the 8 years old boy that needs to be babysitted because his widow mother has a party with her new 26 year old boyfriend.

The nerds are great, specially the jap/korean/oriental guy, I do not know where he comes from.

The scene in the chicken fast food is hilarious.

Maybe everybody was expecting a more sexual content like in the OC but the director delivered very well. It has lost some timing near the end but the last scene with Albert made me give this movie an 8.

I liked it!

Author: Tenby from United Kingdom
9 August 2013

I watched this movie on demand, and although there was some flaws, I thought it was very good, for reference, I'm 17 years old.

The story covers Wren, played by Victoria Justice, trying to find her trouble-making, prankster brother on Halloween.

There was a few cliché's, but I found them very easy to overlook, especially when you consider the fact that the cliché's are just sub-plots.

A lot of people are complaining that Nickeloden made a movie that isn't family friendly, but this wasn't the first time Nickeloden did this (Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging!!) so I didn't have a problem with this film being produced by Nickeloden and I honestly don't see why other people do.

I found this movie VERY funny and the main characters very compelling, Jane Levy's character is probably one of my favourite supporting character's in a comedy film at the moment.

Overall I enjoyed this movie for the overall atmosphere and give it a 7/10.

Not fun enough

Author: Robert Splaine from Phoenix, Az.
28 October 2012

A teenage girl and her best friend want to attend the Halloween party with the cool kids, but are stuck trick-or-treating with her little brother. He becomes lost, and they spend the evening searching for him. What ensues is supposed to be a funny adventure of oddball characters getting themselves into amusing situations, but there just is not much to laugh at here. In the end the girl is destined to come to some sort of realization about what she really deems important, which is predictable and does not add much to the movie. Victoria Justice, who plays the girl, is pretty and likable enough, but that is not enough to make this movie fun to watch.

Not typical Nickelodeon

Author: canadian58 from United States
15 March 2013

Never have I seen a Nickelodeon movie packed with more foul language, drinking, illegal behavior, and sexual references than Fun Size. The title, and the fact that it's a Nick movie, falsely implies that parents should take their kids and go see it. False, as this movie is supposed to target high school kids as its primary audience. It does have jokes in it that kids would find funny, but in my mind, it's pretty inappropriate to be viewed by younger kids.

That's not to say it isn't entertaining. There's lots of hit-and-miss going on here, with about half of the jokes actually succeeding in being funny. I did laugh out loud several times, which is the only reason I'm rating this at a 5/10.

The plot itself is very weak, and we wonder why the police aren't assisting Wren in finding her brother. Also, the girl who is supposed to be her best friend doesn't seem the least bit interested in helping her. And the two boys who like Wren, one a jock, and one a geek, look almost identical. Then the subplot involving the little brother and a dorky convenience store clerk who wants revenge on someone, which we never really find out why, at least I didn't pick up on it. ("I'm not luring a little kid into my car.") Wren's father just recently passed, and her mother is dating a 26 year old moron who lives with his parents. (Why, you ask? My guess is they needed a reason for the mother to be leaving the house for the night.)

To summarize, there were some pretty funny moments, but as a movie, it's below average at best. Definitely not Nickelodeon's best work, by a long shot, but at least I don't feel like I wasted 90 minutes of my life. 5/10

Kinda Fun, Justice good, silent kid a mistake

Author: SnoopyStyle
31 August 2013

Josh Schwartz who wrote and produced TV shows Gossip Girl, Chuck, and The O.C. directs this teen movie. It stars the latest Disney princess. It's Halloween and Wren (Victoria Justice) just wants to party with her best friend (Jane Levy). Instead her mother (Chelsea Handler) insists that she takes her little brother out for trick or treat. While out, she loses her brother and a mad cap search for him begins.

The movie does have potential. The leads are likable. A night of crazy adventure is usually fun and compelling. Keeping the kid silent was a mistake, and a better rewrite was needed. The search is completely illogical. The kid lacks charisma and not talking doesn't help any. Although Victoria Justice has the charisma to lead this movie which is the most important aspect.

"Fun Size" - Fun, fun, fun!

Author: dee.reid from United States
12 May 2013

Now here is one Fun-Sized flick that may get some parents in an uproar: "Fun Size" is an amusing 86-minute distraction from Nickelodeon Productions that's rated "PG-13" and that alone should caution some parents that this teen flick may not be all that appropriate for anyone - obviously - who is under the age of 13.

For a brief 86 minutes, the "PG-13" rating actually means something again.

But I digress. By virtue of the mere fact that it's produced by Nickelodeon, there are some misguided parents who will no doubt take their kids to see it anyway. Hence, the confusion over some irate parents who don't think it's appropriate for their young ones.

I'm 27. I grew up when Nickelodeon was still catering almost exclusively to the entertainment demands of kids (and still had a smidgen of intelligence). Then during the mid-1990s, the channel began a massive face-palming descent into idiocy as it began replacing staples of its animated and live-action programming with idiotic crap. "Doug" and "Rugrats" soon gave way to "SpongeBob SquarePants" and "The Wild Thornberrys."

The channel briefly redeemed itself with the Japanese Anime'-inspired animated fantasy-adventure series "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (and later its follow-up, "The Legend of Korra").

In more recent years, however, Nickelodeon seems to be catering almost exclusively to the demands of teenagers, with shows like "iCarly," "Zoey 101," and "Victorious" ruling the airwaves; I actually really liked "iCarly" and "Victorious" - before Nick unceremoniously canceled them.

And this is how we arrived at this new film from Josh Schwartz - the creator of "The O.C." and "Gossip Girl" who makes his directorial debut here, while working from Max Werner's screenplay. "Fun Size" takes equal bits of classic teen flicks such as "Sixteen Candles" (1984) and "Adventures in Babysitting" (1987). Whipsmart high school geeky nobody Wren (Victoria Justice, of the aforementioned "Victorious") gets invited to a Halloween-night bash headed by the hunky Aaron Riley (Thomas McDonnell), who has a habit of dressing up as the lead character from his favorite movies, in this case Johnny Depp's Capt. Jack Sparrow from the "Pirates of the Caribbean" film series.

Her plans get sidetracked when her cradle-robbing widowed mother Joy (Chelsea Handler) gets invited to a grown-ups-only Halloween party of her own by her current immature man-boy obsession Keevin (John Pence). This means that Wren must now babysit her eight-year-old younger brother Albert (Jackson Nicoll), who hasn't spoken a single word in almost year, ever since the death of their father. But also like their father, Albert still maintains a strong penchant for crude pranks and general raising hell whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Things get complicated when trick-or-treating during the course of the night, Albert winds up missing (thus becoming the unlikely companion of a slightly miffed convenience store clerk named Fuzzy - played by Thomas Middleditch - on his Halloween-night quest of vengeance against his ex-girlfriend and her new boy-toy) and it's up to Wren, her best friend April (Jane Levy) and two nerdy classmates - Roosevelt (Thomas Mann, of "Project X") and Peng (Osric Chau) - to track him down and get him back home before her mother finds out. The story's central emotional tussle is Wren realizing her mutual attraction to her nerdy, E.O. Wilson-obsessed classmate Roosevelt - who actually understands her lousy jokes about not only biologist E.O. Wilson, but also Ruth Bader Ginsberg - rather than the hunky Aaron Riley.

"Fun Size" offers a nice performance from Victoria Justice as the high-strung, improbably gorgeous nerdy-girl Wren. And Thomas Mann turns in another great Everyman role (as he did in "Project X") as her true love Roosevelt. But of course, it's young Jackson Nicoll who has the most fun as Albert, the Tasmanian Devil eight-year-old kid from hell. "Fun Size" also does manage to produce some genuinely funny moments here & there, although some of these moments may fly over the heads of parents who may be shaking their heads at some of the cruder material. But that's why "Fun Size" is rated "PG-13," in addition to some decidedly rough language in more than a few spots. And then there's comedienne Chelsea Handler's Halloween get-up as a "Hit Me Baby One More Time"-era Britney Spears, attire she wears out of profound grief for the death of her husband.

Lastly, there's also a nice twist near the end of the picture involving, all else, the Beastie Boys, from their "Licensed to Ill" era back in the mid-'80s.

"Fun Size" is 86 minutes of pure fun, fun, fun!

Entertaining enough, yet mildly inappropriate for its audience. (Spoilers)

Author: daisyvision from United States
3 February 2014

First of all, I'm not sure who this movie is marketed to. Kids? Nickelodeon's logo scrolls at the beginning of the movie giving that impression, yet there are crass jokes such as "tadpoles in your dad's sac". There's also breast touching, sexual tension during said breast touching, and a boy commenting on his mother's small boobs. This would be fine and dandy, if the rest of the content wasn't so juvenile. I personally don't mind crass jokes, but I felt as if they were out of place. I just felt as though type of people who'd appreciate tadpoles in ball sacs aren't going to enjoy watching a one-armed Spider-Man fool adults out of candy while trick-or-treating. (You may think I'm being a "prude" with this review, but I appreciate the humor and gratuitous nudity in films such as "Harold & Kumar". It's juts that "Harold & Kumar" knows what it is and what sort of audience is watching it.)

Alfred is supposed to be the charming yet devious little boy character, but he was just so unlikeable. You're introduced to him on the toilet, hearing the sound effects of poop plopping into the water. As if once weren't enough, the last shot you see is, likewise, Alfred pooping on the toilet - sound effects and all. It's not funny, it's pretty gross, actually. Make sure you aren't snacking on popcorn while you watch.

A lot of the antics the teenagers get into while driving around feel very forced, with little resolution. Peng shooting chicken at a bully that he never encounters again? A kid totals his car, and his mothers not only don't care, but give him keys to a second car? I don't know. I just don't believe anything presented to me, and yet it doesn't have that surreality of something like "Tide Land". Though, it wasn't a complete waste of time. Thomas Middleditch & Thomas Mann play charming characters, Victoria Justice and Jane Levy are likewise talented actors who tried their best to bring lukewarm material to life. If you're looking for a slightly inappropriate and awkward Halloween movie to watch with the family, well, why not? Just don't expect too much out of it.

Decent

Author: SanteeFats from United States
6 December 2013

A pretty good movie in my opinion. Maybe a little risqué for a Nick movie but what the hey. Victoria Justice is the sister who loses her brother while reluctantly taking him out for Trick or Treat. Man she has some skinny legs though. Hope they fill out but at her age I doubt it. Jane Levy is the best friend who dresses like a kitty and seems to have only one thing on her mind, no no that, being cool. Unfortunately that is is blown at the end when she wakes up with a nerd. Both are fully dressed so I guess no hanky panky is suppose to have happened. Albert is the lost brother. He doesn't talk except when they visit his father's grave, until the end if the movie anyway. I think this movie is funny and also filled with teenage angst. The nerd boys want the girls and the girls want the hot or cool guys. Things don't end up that way but it looks like most end up happy.

Comedy/romantic/sad moments

Author: fedezucchi-rs from Assisi, Italy
10 July 2013

This movie is hard to describes. There are sad and romantic moments put at the end of it and comic moments for the rest of the movie. The kind of comedy used in this movie is particular because we can find ''American Pie's sense of humor'' (as the chicken behind the car in the fast food scene) or humorists expression and actions made by little spider man (that are my favorites).

In my opinion the movie had to cut of the sad part that is interesting itself but that loses its meaning in a fun movie. The fact that there are these 3 topics all together makes this movie ordinary as any other American movie of this kind. The character of the mother is really interesting! Those minutes in which she says more or less everything about her life during the Halloween party, when she sits in the living room, is so emotional because we can see how the revolutionary mum who goes to party and stuff...changes completely, and we see the reason of that attitude and is my opinion it was a really good moment to develop in a great way!

Tries it's darndest to channel John Hughes and in some respects really does

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
20 February 2013

First off...there is no doubt that Fun Size is incredibly cheesy, over the top, impossible and requires you to truly turn off your brain, but so what?! I think that it tries very hard to capture those classic teen romp films like Adventures in Babysitting and John Hughes films however, sadly I think Fun Size doesn't quite hit that level of intelligence. The biggest issue with Fun Size is that it doesn't know what demographic its trying to hit. Its a Nickelodeon film but is far too mature for 10-12 year olds (in my opinion) and too silly for 13-16 year olds, so I suppose it'll appeal to a select few of full blown adults like myself that are looking to recapture their youth or just turn off their brain and laugh but that isn't a demographic that will make this successful. It does try very hard and despite all odds it is surprisingly funny at times, and even a little touching however predictable it might be. There are so few movies that are actually about Halloween so maybe this one will become its own cheesy classic. Certainly if you're willing to put the time in you need to lower your expectations and don't over think it. You'll enjoy the sheer silliness of it.

Nickelodeon starlet Victoria Justice is very good in the lead role of Wren. She is believable, down to earth, and carries the movie quite easily. I actually think her level of acting ability probably exceeds a movie like this but she is owned lock stock and barrel by Nickelodeon so this is her lot in life for now. Jackson Nicoll is the adorably silent trouble maker Albert. He easily steals the show with his performance. He is perfectly cast and just so good at making you laugh as he goes on his madcap adventure. Chelsea Handler (who I don't like at all) actually pulls off a toned down comedic performance that is tolerable. That really is a big compliment coming from me towards her. Jane Levy is decent as the obligatory "best friend." The unfortunate part is that sometimes her character really does get irritating in her consistently selfish dialogue and character development. Thomas Mann is our geeky friend that loves our main character. He is good but certainly doesn't give a stand out performance. Mann and Justice are okay together but lack a certain top notch chemistry. Thomas Middleditch is also one of the better performances in a character that is slapstick and fun. Johnny Knoxville is appropriately dumb and over the top, its really the perfect role for him and I mean that as a backhanded compliment as well.

I can understand where some people would really be down on this film. There is no doubt that it is full of clichés, in fact every character nearly reeks of cliché. TV master Josh Schwartz helms this film and he has certainly created and worked on some truly great TV shows and I'm not sure this is his best creation but he definitely sincerely tries. I couldn't help but laugh my way through this. The Chicken shack scene was priceless and despite being cliché so many of the physical comedy scenes, and situations that they get into are genuinely funny and certainly worth watching if you can put your expectations in check. 7/10