IMDb > Fun Size (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Fun Size More at IMDbPro »

Better than expected

Author: Tomaz Adour from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
12 February 2013

I could not understand the low rate of this movie. I thought it was an horror comedy movie but it is really a comedy.

I started laughing in the beginning and the best character is Albert, the 8 years old boy that needs to be babysitted because his widow mother has a party with her new 26 year old boyfriend.

The nerds are great, specially the jap/korean/oriental guy, I do not know where he comes from.

The scene in the chicken fast food is hilarious.

Maybe everybody was expecting a more sexual content like in the OC but the director delivered very well. It has lost some timing near the end but the last scene with Albert made me give this movie an 8.

I liked it!

Author: Tenby from United Kingdom
9 August 2013

I watched this movie on demand, and although there was some flaws, I thought it was very good, for reference, I'm 17 years old.

The story covers Wren, played by Victoria Justice, trying to find her trouble-making, prankster brother on Halloween.

There was a few cliché's, but I found them very easy to overlook, especially when you consider the fact that the cliché's are just sub-plots.

A lot of people are complaining that Nickeloden made a movie that isn't family friendly, but this wasn't the first time Nickeloden did this (Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging!!) so I didn't have a problem with this film being produced by Nickeloden and I honestly don't see why other people do.

I found this movie VERY funny and the main characters very compelling, Jane Levy's character is probably one of my favourite supporting character's in a comedy film at the moment.

Overall I enjoyed this movie for the overall atmosphere and give it a 7/10.

Not fun enough

Author: Robert Splaine from Phoenix, Az.
28 October 2012

A teenage girl and her best friend want to attend the Halloween party with the cool kids, but are stuck trick-or-treating with her little brother. He becomes lost, and they spend the evening searching for him. What ensues is supposed to be a funny adventure of oddball characters getting themselves into amusing situations, but there just is not much to laugh at here. In the end the girl is destined to come to some sort of realization about what she really deems important, which is predictable and does not add much to the movie. Victoria Justice, who plays the girl, is pretty and likable enough, but that is not enough to make this movie fun to watch.

Kinda Fun, Justice good, silent kid a mistake

Author: SnoopyStyle
31 August 2013

Josh Schwartz who wrote and produced TV shows Gossip Girl, Chuck, and The O.C. directs this teen movie. It stars the latest Disney princess. It's Halloween and Wren (Victoria Justice) just wants to party with her best friend (Jane Levy). Instead her mother (Chelsea Handler) insists that she takes her little brother out for trick or treat. While out, she loses her brother and a mad cap search for him begins.

The movie does have potential. The leads are likable. A night of crazy adventure is usually fun and compelling. Keeping the kid silent was a mistake, and a better rewrite was needed. The search is completely illogical. The kid lacks charisma and not talking doesn't help any. Although Victoria Justice has the charisma to lead this movie which is the most important aspect.

Not typical Nickelodeon

Author: canadian58 from United States
15 March 2013

Never have I seen a Nickelodeon movie packed with more foul language, drinking, illegal behavior, and sexual references than Fun Size. The title, and the fact that it's a Nick movie, falsely implies that parents should take their kids and go see it. False, as this movie is supposed to target high school kids as its primary audience. It does have jokes in it that kids would find funny, but in my mind, it's pretty inappropriate to be viewed by younger kids.

That's not to say it isn't entertaining. There's lots of hit-and-miss going on here, with about half of the jokes actually succeeding in being funny. I did laugh out loud several times, which is the only reason I'm rating this at a 5/10.

The plot itself is very weak, and we wonder why the police aren't assisting Wren in finding her brother. Also, the girl who is supposed to be her best friend doesn't seem the least bit interested in helping her. And the two boys who like Wren, one a jock, and one a geek, look almost identical. Then the subplot involving the little brother and a dorky convenience store clerk who wants revenge on someone, which we never really find out why, at least I didn't pick up on it. ("I'm not luring a little kid into my car.") Wren's father just recently passed, and her mother is dating a 26 year old moron who lives with his parents. (Why, you ask? My guess is they needed a reason for the mother to be leaving the house for the night.)

To summarize, there were some pretty funny moments, but as a movie, it's below average at best. Definitely not Nickelodeon's best work, by a long shot, but at least I don't feel like I wasted 90 minutes of my life. 5/10

"Fun Size" - Fun, fun, fun!

Author: dee.reid from United States
12 May 2013

Now here is one Fun-Sized flick that may get some parents in an uproar: "Fun Size" is an amusing 86-minute distraction from Nickelodeon Productions that's rated "PG-13" and that alone should caution some parents that this teen flick may not be all that appropriate for anyone - obviously - who is under the age of 13.

For a brief 86 minutes, the "PG-13" rating actually means something again.

But I digress. By virtue of the mere fact that it's produced by Nickelodeon, there are some misguided parents who will no doubt take their kids to see it anyway. Hence, the confusion over some irate parents who don't think it's appropriate for their young ones.

I'm 27. I grew up when Nickelodeon was still catering almost exclusively to the entertainment demands of kids (and still had a smidgen of intelligence). Then during the mid-1990s, the channel began a massive face-palming descent into idiocy as it began replacing staples of its animated and live-action programming with idiotic crap. "Doug" and "Rugrats" soon gave way to "SpongeBob SquarePants" and "The Wild Thornberrys."

The channel briefly redeemed itself with the Japanese Anime'-inspired animated fantasy-adventure series "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (and later its follow-up, "The Legend of Korra").

In more recent years, however, Nickelodeon seems to be catering almost exclusively to the demands of teenagers, with shows like "iCarly," "Zoey 101," and "Victorious" ruling the airwaves; I actually really liked "iCarly" and "Victorious" - before Nick unceremoniously canceled them.

And this is how we arrived at this new film from Josh Schwartz - the creator of "The O.C." and "Gossip Girl" who makes his directorial debut here, while working from Max Werner's screenplay. "Fun Size" takes equal bits of classic teen flicks such as "Sixteen Candles" (1984) and "Adventures in Babysitting" (1987). Whipsmart high school geeky nobody Wren (Victoria Justice, of the aforementioned "Victorious") gets invited to a Halloween-night bash headed by the hunky Aaron Riley (Thomas McDonnell), who has a habit of dressing up as the lead character from his favorite movies, in this case Johnny Depp's Capt. Jack Sparrow from the "Pirates of the Caribbean" film series.

Her plans get sidetracked when her cradle-robbing widowed mother Joy (Chelsea Handler) gets invited to a grown-ups-only Halloween party of her own by her current immature man-boy obsession Keevin (John Pence). This means that Wren must now babysit her eight-year-old younger brother Albert (Jackson Nicoll), who hasn't spoken a single word in almost year, ever since the death of their father. But also like their father, Albert still maintains a strong penchant for crude pranks and general raising hell whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Things get complicated when trick-or-treating during the course of the night, Albert winds up missing (thus becoming the unlikely companion of a slightly miffed convenience store clerk named Fuzzy - played by Thomas Middleditch - on his Halloween-night quest of vengeance against his ex-girlfriend and her new boy-toy) and it's up to Wren, her best friend April (Jane Levy) and two nerdy classmates - Roosevelt (Thomas Mann, of "Project X") and Peng (Osric Chau) - to track him down and get him back home before her mother finds out. The story's central emotional tussle is Wren realizing her mutual attraction to her nerdy, E.O. Wilson-obsessed classmate Roosevelt - who actually understands her lousy jokes about not only biologist E.O. Wilson, but also Ruth Bader Ginsberg - rather than the hunky Aaron Riley.

"Fun Size" offers a nice performance from Victoria Justice as the high-strung, improbably gorgeous nerdy-girl Wren. And Thomas Mann turns in another great Everyman role (as he did in "Project X") as her true love Roosevelt. But of course, it's young Jackson Nicoll who has the most fun as Albert, the Tasmanian Devil eight-year-old kid from hell. "Fun Size" also does manage to produce some genuinely funny moments here & there, although some of these moments may fly over the heads of parents who may be shaking their heads at some of the cruder material. But that's why "Fun Size" is rated "PG-13," in addition to some decidedly rough language in more than a few spots. And then there's comedienne Chelsea Handler's Halloween get-up as a "Hit Me Baby One More Time"-era Britney Spears, attire she wears out of profound grief for the death of her husband.

Lastly, there's also a nice twist near the end of the picture involving, all else, the Beastie Boys, from their "Licensed to Ill" era back in the mid-'80s.

"Fun Size" is 86 minutes of pure fun, fun, fun!

AWESOME movie. Am I missing something?

Author: claymation8 from United States
3 March 2013

After reading the reviews on IMDb, I was hesitant to watch the movie. I love every single actor or actress in the film, so I didn't understand why I was so nervous to order it off iO; however, I did it anyway, with the slight hope I'd get a really cool movie.

Am I glad that I ordered it. I watched the movie with my younger sister, 12, and I'm 16, and we both fell in love with this movie.

I get that the whole Nickelodeon-distribution thing is a bit weird for a movie that has some teenage elements involved. But, I don't think that such a trivial concern should make the move suddenly "terrible" - and here are the reasons why.

First off, there was not a boring moment in the film. Yeah, it was short, but I'd rather be left wanting more than being in a situation where I'm itching for it to end. It was short and sweet, and that was a good thing.

Secondly, each character was a different manifestation of high school: geeky, innocent, desperate, misunderstood. It was, to someone in high school, refreshing to see such existent stereotypes be brought to the screen.

Thirdly, the acting by each of the performers showcasing such stereotypes was genius. Victoria Justice fit the role perfectly, and showed the final need to move on from her past in an innocent yet heartfelt way. Jane Levy proved to both of us that she has a long career ahead of her, and spectacularly nails her role as the hungry-to-be-cool yet compassionate April. Thomas Mann, playing Roosevelt, shows off nerdy without overkill, and makes the audience root for him as the movie goes on. Chelsea Handler - Wren's mom - also nails her role, and makes us teenagers see that there will always be a time to grow up; her acting was really great in this!

Lastly, the music. The music was hip yet appropriate for the film's climactic moments, and groups like Sleeping At Last and Milo Greene orchestrate a perfect underscore to the coming- of-age film. It really puts the audience member into the situation - the crazy, adventurous, journey, for that matter.

For all of these reasons combined, I urge people to give this film the proper attention it deserves without judging it as a risky Nickelodeon move. Yeah, they cursed a few times, and some "older" subjects were discussed, but as my 12 year old sister can support, "I've heard worse."

Decent

Author: SanteeFats from United States
6 December 2013

A pretty good movie in my opinion. Maybe a little risqué for a Nick movie but what the hey. Victoria Justice is the sister who loses her brother while reluctantly taking him out for Trick or Treat. Man she has some skinny legs though. Hope they fill out but at her age I doubt it. Jane Levy is the best friend who dresses like a kitty and seems to have only one thing on her mind, no no that, being cool. Unfortunately that is is blown at the end when she wakes up with a nerd. Both are fully dressed so I guess no hanky panky is suppose to have happened. Albert is the lost brother. He doesn't talk except when they visit his father's grave, until the end if the movie anyway. I think this movie is funny and also filled with teenage angst. The nerd boys want the girls and the girls want the hot or cool guys. Things don't end up that way but it looks like most end up happy.

Entertaining enough, yet mildly inappropriate for its audience. (Spoilers)

Author: daisyvision from United States
3 February 2014

First of all, I'm not sure who this movie is marketed to. Kids? Nickelodeon's logo scrolls at the beginning of the movie giving that impression, yet there are crass jokes such as "tadpoles in your dad's sac". There's also breast touching, sexual tension during said breast touching, and a boy commenting on his mother's small boobs. This would be fine and dandy, if the rest of the content wasn't so juvenile. I personally don't mind crass jokes, but I felt as if they were out of place. I just felt as though type of people who'd appreciate tadpoles in ball sacs aren't going to enjoy watching a one-armed Spider-Man fool adults out of candy while trick-or-treating. (You may think I'm being a "prude" with this review, but I appreciate the humor and gratuitous nudity in films such as "Harold & Kumar". It's juts that "Harold & Kumar" knows what it is and what sort of audience is watching it.)

Alfred is supposed to be the charming yet devious little boy character, but he was just so unlikeable. You're introduced to him on the toilet, hearing the sound effects of poop plopping into the water. As if once weren't enough, the last shot you see is, likewise, Alfred pooping on the toilet - sound effects and all. It's not funny, it's pretty gross, actually. Make sure you aren't snacking on popcorn while you watch.

A lot of the antics the teenagers get into while driving around feel very forced, with little resolution. Peng shooting chicken at a bully that he never encounters again? A kid totals his car, and his mothers not only don't care, but give him keys to a second car? I don't know. I just don't believe anything presented to me, and yet it doesn't have that surreality of something like "Tide Land". Though, it wasn't a complete waste of time. Thomas Middleditch & Thomas Mann play charming characters, Victoria Justice and Jane Levy are likewise talented actors who tried their best to bring lukewarm material to life. If you're looking for a slightly inappropriate and awkward Halloween movie to watch with the family, well, why not? Just don't expect too much out of it.

Comedy/romantic/sad moments

Author: fedezucchi-rs from Assisi, Italy
10 July 2013

This movie is hard to describes. There are sad and romantic moments put at the end of it and comic moments for the rest of the movie. The kind of comedy used in this movie is particular because we can find ''American Pie's sense of humor'' (as the chicken behind the car in the fast food scene) or humorists expression and actions made by little spider man (that are my favorites).

In my opinion the movie had to cut of the sad part that is interesting itself but that loses its meaning in a fun movie. The fact that there are these 3 topics all together makes this movie ordinary as any other American movie of this kind. The character of the mother is really interesting! Those minutes in which she says more or less everything about her life during the Halloween party, when she sits in the living room, is so emotional because we can see how the revolutionary mum who goes to party and stuff...changes completely, and we see the reason of that attitude and is my opinion it was a really good moment to develop in a great way!