IMDb > Fun Size (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Better than expected

Author: Tomaz Adour from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
12 February 2013

I could not understand the low rate of this movie. I thought it was an horror comedy movie but it is really a comedy.

I started laughing in the beginning and the best character is Albert, the 8 years old boy that needs to be babysitted because his widow mother has a party with her new 26 year old boyfriend.

The nerds are great, specially the jap/korean/oriental guy, I do not know where he comes from.

The scene in the chicken fast food is hilarious.

Maybe everybody was expecting a more sexual content like in the OC but the director delivered very well. It has lost some timing near the end but the last scene with Albert made me give this movie an 8.

I liked it!

Author: Tenby from United Kingdom
9 August 2013

I watched this movie on demand, and although there was some flaws, I thought it was very good, for reference, I'm 17 years old.

The story covers Wren, played by Victoria Justice, trying to find her trouble-making, prankster brother on Halloween.

There was a few cliché's, but I found them very easy to overlook, especially when you consider the fact that the cliché's are just sub-plots.

A lot of people are complaining that Nickeloden made a movie that isn't family friendly, but this wasn't the first time Nickeloden did this (Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging!!) so I didn't have a problem with this film being produced by Nickeloden and I honestly don't see why other people do.

I found this movie VERY funny and the main characters very compelling, Jane Levy's character is probably one of my favourite supporting character's in a comedy film at the moment.

Overall I enjoyed this movie for the overall atmosphere and give it a 7/10.

Not fun enough

Author: Robert Splaine from Phoenix, Az.
28 October 2012

A teenage girl and her best friend want to attend the Halloween party with the cool kids, but are stuck trick-or-treating with her little brother. He becomes lost, and they spend the evening searching for him. What ensues is supposed to be a funny adventure of oddball characters getting themselves into amusing situations, but there just is not much to laugh at here. In the end the girl is destined to come to some sort of realization about what she really deems important, which is predictable and does not add much to the movie. Victoria Justice, who plays the girl, is pretty and likable enough, but that is not enough to make this movie fun to watch.

Kinda Fun, Justice good, silent kid a mistake

Author: SnoopyStyle
31 August 2013

Josh Schwartz who wrote and produced TV shows Gossip Girl, Chuck, and The O.C. directs this teen movie. It stars the latest Disney princess. It's Halloween and Wren (Victoria Justice) just wants to party with her best friend (Jane Levy). Instead her mother (Chelsea Handler) insists that she takes her little brother out for trick or treat. While out, she loses her brother and a mad cap search for him begins.

The movie does have potential. The leads are likable. A night of crazy adventure is usually fun and compelling. Keeping the kid silent was a mistake, and a better rewrite was needed. The search is completely illogical. The kid lacks charisma and not talking doesn't help any. Although Victoria Justice has the charisma to lead this movie which is the most important aspect.

Not typical Nickelodeon

Author: canadian58 from United States
15 March 2013

Never have I seen a Nickelodeon movie packed with more foul language, drinking, illegal behavior, and sexual references than Fun Size. The title, and the fact that it's a Nick movie, falsely implies that parents should take their kids and go see it. False, as this movie is supposed to target high school kids as its primary audience. It does have jokes in it that kids would find funny, but in my mind, it's pretty inappropriate to be viewed by younger kids.

That's not to say it isn't entertaining. There's lots of hit-and-miss going on here, with about half of the jokes actually succeeding in being funny. I did laugh out loud several times, which is the only reason I'm rating this at a 5/10.

The plot itself is very weak, and we wonder why the police aren't assisting Wren in finding her brother. Also, the girl who is supposed to be her best friend doesn't seem the least bit interested in helping her. And the two boys who like Wren, one a jock, and one a geek, look almost identical. Then the subplot involving the little brother and a dorky convenience store clerk who wants revenge on someone, which we never really find out why, at least I didn't pick up on it. ("I'm not luring a little kid into my car.") Wren's father just recently passed, and her mother is dating a 26 year old moron who lives with his parents. (Why, you ask? My guess is they needed a reason for the mother to be leaving the house for the night.)

To summarize, there were some pretty funny moments, but as a movie, it's below average at best. Definitely not Nickelodeon's best work, by a long shot, but at least I don't feel like I wasted 90 minutes of my life. 5/10

Not Fun At Any Size.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
25 December 2015

Fun Size (2012): Dir: Josh Schwartz / Cast: Victoria Justice, Jane Levy, Chelsea Handler, Thomas Mann, Jackson Niccol: Perhaps the title references the young kid that runs about throughout in a Spider-Man costume on Halloween night but it doesn't matter. The film isn't fun at any size. It stars Victoria Justice who is disappointed because her Halloween plans are sabotaged when her widowed mother decide to go to a Halloween party with a much younger guy. Justice is joined by her cynical friend, played by Jane Levy. They manage to lose the kid brother who is hardly anything like a normal kid. He is like a junior James Bond. Most kids would be scared but this one has the same life line as the Home Alone kids. This kid gets into a car with a convenient store clerk who has no social life. This film could have been Superbad but instead it becomes an insult to the genre. We get to see a large plastic chicken crash through a car in the appearance of anal humping. We have another situation where the young kid is locked in a house after a prank gone wrong. Director Josh Schwartz has one element to his favor and that is the locations, otherwise this potential cult film becomes a lazy exercise in crude humour that resorts to naked children on the toilet. The characters are dull and the cast can merely recite tired jokes, except for Jackson Niccol as the kid who just makes facial reactions and shrugs a lot. Superbad had genuine character, meaning and payoff that viewers may relate to. The only sizable fun thing about this junk is the massive stampede to the theatre lobby to ask for a refund. This film is more trick than treat. Score: 2 / 10

Strange Film From Nickelodeon Studios

Author: jfgibson73 from United States
24 October 2015

This movie had such a strange tone to it. It resembles a teen comedy, but from the marketing, it's easy to mistake it as a family film. It somehow ends up being very chaste while pushing the limits of the PG-13 rating. The way the scenes play out have a very odd timing and delivery; I think that on paper, it would read as a pretty clever script, but often feels clunky and amateurish in execution. So the result was that there were a lot of times I was ready to laugh, but as a scene unfolded, ended up more confused by the unusual choices. The Nickelodeon brand adds to that confusion, being that parents expect to trust it for family entertainment. I think a strong director with a good sense of who the audience was for this movie could have made a little bit better film.

Entertaining enough, yet mildly inappropriate for its audience. (Spoilers)

Author: daisyvision from United States
3 February 2014

First of all, I'm not sure who this movie is marketed to. Kids? Nickelodeon's logo scrolls at the beginning of the movie giving that impression, yet there are crass jokes such as "tadpoles in your dad's sac". There's also breast touching, sexual tension during said breast touching, and a boy commenting on his mother's small boobs. This would be fine and dandy, if the rest of the content wasn't so juvenile. I personally don't mind crass jokes, but I felt as if they were out of place. I just felt as though type of people who'd appreciate tadpoles in ball sacs aren't going to enjoy watching a one-armed Spider-Man fool adults out of candy while trick-or-treating. (You may think I'm being a "prude" with this review, but I appreciate the humor and gratuitous nudity in films such as "Harold & Kumar". It's juts that "Harold & Kumar" knows what it is and what sort of audience is watching it.)

Alfred is supposed to be the charming yet devious little boy character, but he was just so unlikeable. You're introduced to him on the toilet, hearing the sound effects of poop plopping into the water. As if once weren't enough, the last shot you see is, likewise, Alfred pooping on the toilet - sound effects and all. It's not funny, it's pretty gross, actually. Make sure you aren't snacking on popcorn while you watch.

A lot of the antics the teenagers get into while driving around feel very forced, with little resolution. Peng shooting chicken at a bully that he never encounters again? A kid totals his car, and his mothers not only don't care, but give him keys to a second car? I don't know. I just don't believe anything presented to me, and yet it doesn't have that surreality of something like "Tide Land". Though, it wasn't a complete waste of time. Thomas Middleditch & Thomas Mann play charming characters, Victoria Justice and Jane Levy are likewise talented actors who tried their best to bring lukewarm material to life. If you're looking for a slightly inappropriate and awkward Halloween movie to watch with the family, well, why not? Just don't expect too much out of it.

Fun Size Review

Author: FilmGuy34567 from United States
16 June 2013

Fun Size- *1/2 (out of four): There are more laughs and more fun in an episode of "Victorious" than in this farce of a film, which would have fared better had it been released straight to DVD. It is crudely written, the teenage qualms seem entirely artificial and clichéd. There are some funny and even sweet moments in it, but the bad outweighs the good here. It tries to pay homage to older (and better) teen flicks of the '80s, but it falls far short, emerging as little more than a comedy full of gags and stereotypical characters. It might be enjoyable for a small minority of people, but I'm sure most will be quite bored by it. Definitely one to skip.

The Fun Is Tiny, But The Size Is Huge!

Author: groovyjazzychick889 from United Kingdom
16 February 2014

Fun Size is the teen comedy produced by Nickeloden (the company who are responsible for iCarly and Wizards of Waveraly Place). It is about a girl who is forced to babysit her little brother when Halloween plans go awry. However, he goes missing and she has to set out with her nerd friends to find him...wow, that is a bland plot.

I have to admit, I didn't admire the idea of watching it judging from the trailer, but my friends wanted to see it, so I decided to give it a shot...what a dreadful mistake that was.

I must have slept through most of the movie, as I can't really remember what happened, but I was jumping for joy in my seat when it finished. This is a plain, dim-witted, over-the-top and rarely funny film, which has an uninteresting storyline, stereotypical characters (the glamorous girls who fall in love with hot boys and the nerds with big glasses and rabbit teeth) and gross jokes (gross as in reference to sexual acts).

The film is clearly aimed at young teenage girls, (it certainly didn't hit me)and is good for the drama queens.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]