IMDb > "Shake It Up!" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Shake It Up!"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Shake It Up!" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The worst new Disney Channel show in years...

Author: MsMovie from United States
30 November 2010

I rated this show a 1 because of what the kids who watched it with me said. The kids ranging from 4 - 10 - which is probably the demographic this is aimed at because the plots are pretty thin - complained about the following: 1) Terrible acting, and they didn't like either of the girls either.

2) 2 of the kids said they could dance better and they don't think they can dance much at all (I have to agree I thought the dancing would be much better than it is).

3) The stories are lame - their word not mine. They said they are fed up with kids trying to get into show business as the story and said what about more regular kids - they do like "Good Luck Charlie" and "Wizards of Waverly Place". When I asked why they liked those 2 they said the kids were more real and could act, plus they love Selena.

From my perspective as a parent and a TV watcher of Disney Channel for some years now this really is one of the worst thought out shows. "Sonny With a Chance" is just about OK, but it started off pretty lamely too, but we've had Miley as Hannah, Demi as Sonny, it's about time Disney stopped making shows about kids wanting to get into show biz because maybe a different storyline would be more interesting and believable.

All I can say is if this is the best Disney could come up with they need a serious shake it up of their writing staff because too many more dreadful shows like this one will drive viewers to Nickelodeon in droves! To conclude: unlikeable characters, bad plots, bad dancing - makes for a bad show! 1 out of 10 because IMDb doesn't give less than that!

Really Bad...

Author: Steven Van from Boston
16 December 2010

Yea this show is just... really... bad. The cast is just plain awful. David Cleveland although he might just be an amateur is just intolerably annoying. And baaaaaad... I've met and babysat a lot of kids and I don't think any kid would act like that, which may be for comedic purposes... it's not... there's like no passion to his acting, it's like watching a elementary school play. Actually the whole show feels like that. In fact the only thing saving this review from a 1/10 is Bella Thorne who actually isn't that bad. Or maybe she's lucky she's really cute. Either way I actually liked that kid's performance and was the only reason I didn't hit that channel button. Her friend however... really irritating. Sorry to say. Of course this just judging from two episodes and frankly... I don't think I want to see anymore...

Obnoxious

Author: Mell_bell_ily from United States
20 May 2011

This show is awful. The characters are such show-offs, they try to act "cool," and way older than 13. The little brother, Flynn, could not be more annoying. Cece is just... awful. Bella Thorne is adorable, I'll give her that, but the character is such a show-off, always calling herself the "best dancer ever," bragging about her spot on a dance show, and bragging about her debit-card and allll the things she just bought with it. Rocky is pretty much the same. She's not a good actress, and she's very obnoxious. The other two kids, Deuce and Ty, SO. ANNOYING. They're so cocky, and Deuce has a horrid name, its pretty darn easy to slip up and say something else...

Honestly, there is nothing good to say about this. It's just another awful Disney TV show.

Review from an adult's stand point

Author: chicka91 from United States
18 June 2011

I'll start with something positive. The show does have some catchy songs and fun dance sequences. That's about all I can think of.

Now, as an education major, and someone who has spent the last 8 or so years teaching children, I have to say, this is a whole new "low" for Disney programming.

For starters, the show has 2 cute, fairly talented young girls for lead actresses, and the foundation for what could have been a great children's show. However, the characters are not likable, and it doesn't help that the writers do not give them much to work with. They are whiny, annoying, complaining, self-centered little girls. Plus, being a show for a wealthy company on a popular channel, I'm confused to why these teen actors were not given acting lessons. The acting is not good, my friends. It only grates on the nerves of the viewers (especially adults.) Next, this show does not have a real point to it. Yes, the actors sing and dance, and there's a loose plot... but that's about it. Most children's shows, especially on Disney have (or should have) a moral or lesson (underlying) for each episode. Miley in Hannah Montana lied to her father, got herself into a sticky situation, received a consequence, and learned a lesson. It happened over and over, but the writing was generally good, the acting pretty good for a kiddie show, and each episode had it's funny and sentimental moments. (You can disagree, but compare Hannah to SIU and it's like night and day.) The same goes for Good Luck Charlie and Wizards, the only 2 shows left that are worth families watching on Disney in my opinion.

Shake It Up, is teaching kids what, to be sassy and disrespectful to their parents, or all adults to that matter? Sneak out at age 12, to a big party, and pretend to be 16 to meet boys? That's a GREAT idea, Disney. Great role models! *sarcasm* The girls have serious attitude problems, and the show glamorizes the fact that the kids are smarter than the parents, because the parents are always clueless. The teachers at school aren't seen all that often, and when they are, the main characters are being disrespectful to them, or behaving badly in order to be cute or funny.(neither work) The show COMPLETELY sends the message that school and homework="bad & uncool." The characters are always degrading the importance of education (Why would you want your child to think like that?) The main characters are not charming, and kids watching do not really learn anything of value. The little brother of one of the girls is a smart-mouthed little brat (the opposite of how you would want your child to act) who really needs a good spanking (if you disagree with spanking, then a time-out, and a quiet talk with his mommy). The comedy is just silly, even for a kids show. All around, I would not recommend letting your child watch this, unless you want to encourage back-talk, bad behavior, and sassy attitudes.

Come on, Disney. Cancel this show, and bring on something of value!

The epitome of awfulness. Disney channel has reached a new low.

Author: Thomas Ward from United States
22 November 2010

Shake It Up, Disney channel's newest failure, is yet another example of how children's shows are getting progressively worse. The fact of the matter is, the target audience will probably find this to be hilarious; I don't know about anyone else, but I torturers have found a new rack or waterboard.

The characters are despicable, unrelateable, and just down right annoying. The two main characters (who I didn't even bother to learn the names of) are poorly constructed, with bad acting, and terrible lines. You end up hating them by the end of the pilot, which is the exact opposite of what the writers wanted. They're cocky, giddy, and frustrating.

Let me, before I finish my rant, give you a general summary of the pilot. Two girls are poor. Well, not poor, just an obnoxious teenager's idea of poor. They don't have cell phones (Oh the horror), and they resort to dancing on the subway for spare change. Not only are they stupid enough to think this may be a logical source of income, they complain and moan in their self-centered way when all they're days reward is a dollar. Yeah, cause when I'm on my way to work, I'm totally going to give my pocket change, which, let's be honest, is useful in a pinch, to a pair of adolescent girls who I don't even know that just shake their hips for 30 seconds to a simple beat. Don't get me wrong, I love a good subway performer; but not those who dance (and believe me - the girls are not good dancers) and then moan when a person gives money out of the goodness of their heart, but it's not enough to meet their standards.

Just to let you know, this all happened in the first 2 minutes of the pilot. It continued on for another 28 minutes.

Just another short little rant: they DID include that age-old foreign person cliché! But they mixed it up! There are TWO of them! GASP! And the writers expect the audience to laugh at some American kid acting as a foreign person with a funny accent and no concept of American culture. It made me want to shoot my T.V.

Final review: 1/10, a 1 only because this website won't let me rate any lower.

Disney's Worst Show Yet.

Author: tanya teehee from United States
13 January 2011

I watch this show with my little sisters, but it's the worse show Disney has produced yet. I like Wizards of Waverly places, but this show is just BAD in general. The jokes aren't funny, the story line is a bore, it consists of bad overacting and terrible dancing. The girls dance incredibly sloppily and the only character who can really dance is Roshon Fegan. During each episode, I feel like what they define as "acting" are just their lines said screaming. The only positive things I have to say about this show is that I like the theme song, the boys are cute, and the two main characters are gorgeous; that's probably the only reason Disney picked them in the first place--after all, they can't dance, and they definitely can't act.

Hate it!!

Author: nadia98 from United Kingdom
11 January 2011

This Show is absolutely terrible...I'm a 12 year old saying this! Disney have officially ran out of ideas..the new show "good luck Charlie" was very good but this shake it up show is terrible and the main characters are so annoying!! i don't think it would be funny to even a 6 year old!! I hate this show and I bet there are many who agree with me!!! The thing that the show is about seems alright but the actresses act so bad It ruins the whole thing..no wonder they only have each other..i wouldn't like them ever!! This show won't go far. Even Hannah Montana is better than this rubbish and that is shocking so I wonder how the next idea of Disney's will end up like.

What a stinker.

Author: sguinee65 from United States
30 December 2011

Oh my word! Who's idea was this? This is the worst show Disney has ever had. The plot is dumb, the acting is terrible, and it's not funny at all. I'm sure so many people (including me) would love to be up there on TV, people with talent. Disney hit an all time low with this cast. They have no talent for acting whatsoever. Seriously, who picked these people? The plot is dumb because the most common people get picked for a spot on a dance show as background dancers. But they sure are in the front a lot for a couple of background dancers. And there these two German characters who make you want to start a war with Germany. There's this stupid red head twig, Cece, who has dyslexia. She gives it a bad name. She has bad grades and does a terrible job of acting stupid. It's so stereotypical. She makes it look like all people with dyslexia are lazy and stupid and they use their disability as an excuse. Her character is supposedly "wild and free", but she just looks like a moron to me. But then there's her best friend, Rocky. She's annoying and intrusive. And there's this guy Deuce. He's also not very bright. And he's also a "business man" if that's what they dare to call it. And then there's Rocky's older brother, Ty, who is equally annoying. He's a "playa" who wants to be a rapper. And then there's Cece's little brother. This child is rude and loud. My 7 year old little sister even hates this show. She's a kid who likes pretty much everything. Well, not everything I guess. I just didn't like this show and I thought it was dumb.

This show is terrible

Author: owensmomma08 from United States
15 July 2011

If you thought the Hannah Montana character was disrespectful to adults, you'll think she was an angel compared to these two characters, Rocky and CeCe. They talk back to their teachers and are flat out disrespectful. The characters are spoiled and act as such. You would think Disney would want characters on their shows who encouraged kids to be better kids but these certainly wouldn't. The "Show It Up" episode is particularly terrible. Disney makes Rocky come across as ungrateful and only doing good deeds to get recognition. (She storms off the stage at an awards show at school because she keeps getting 2nd place awards. Even mocking the 1st place winner as she storms off. She talks back the principal as well.)

The acting is terrible. While I can stand to watch CeCe, the Rocky character is awful. Maybe it's her acting style but everything is way overacted and over the top. None of the other characters stand out as exceptional either.

Sure the idea to have a show with the dancing theme is different, the story line itself is not that exciting either. Even the dancing to me is sub-par. I just think with all the talent out there, Disney can do better than this show. I really hope Disney decides not to renew this show.

Just awful.

Author: david-927-599279 from New York
10 June 2011

Shake it Up is, in essence, a cheap attempt by Disney to attract the singers and dancers who made up the "High School Musical" fan base. But this is just poor. The plot was probably thought up while the creator was on a drunken rant and the actresses hired based on their appeal to preteens instead of true acting ability. The show, like every Disney show, has the two female friends, their male companions, the ignorant black man who serves as a "clown" of sorts. This show couldn't be any worst. The jokes aren't funny,not even to my younger sister. The characters are unappealing, the show is extremely overacted and the whole thing has a production value that should PAY you to watch it. This just showcases, once again, Disney cannot rent a good show. Even when ABC or Disney gets a good show, they get rid of it for poor shows like this. I would rejoice if it were canceled.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]