Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated (TV Series 2010–2013) Poster

The best film for Scooby Doo!
silvermistvio8 February 2018
The best Scooby Doo film so far. The plot and stories are awesome. If I say this one makes a great film, you might say I'm a kid. I don't care no matter what you think, I just want to say what I want to say. Yes!!! This one is totally great one! *thumbsup*
Best Scooby show ever!
itsp4trik15 December 2017
Except a few episodes this is an amaing show. Definitely the best Scooby series. I like the improved characters and their back story, I like the amazing animation and also the main story with the Planispheric Disk.

All the characters are likeable (also the villains) and their elaborate stories are very interesting for me. Average rating of all the episodes for me is 7.7, so I rate it as 8/10. If you like old Scooby-Doo, it will be amazing for you.

I don't understand the critic reviews about: it will be more darker or serious... Hey, this is show primary for kids, it can't be extremely serious!
Darker with a more Interesting Plot line
sbrady-099093 November 2017
The reason this is my favorite Scooby-Doo show can be summed up in one word: everything! Unlike others of the franchise, Mystery Inc. has a linear story to it, the only series to do that. More developed characters, better side characters, and better monsters make this one the best. In addition, it has an underrated score that works well with the horror ambiance of the cartoon. Speaking of which: it very cleverly parodies many horror movies such as the Shining and Saw. Although this show is much, much darker, that's what makes it great. While the old ones were fun and goofy, this was somehow a breath of fresh air into a franchise that had a streak of bad shows.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best since Scooby-Doo! Where Are You?
aussiehall12 August 2017
Pros: Everything that isn't outlined below. I'm serious. This is as near to perfect as I'd hoped. The characters were fleshed out and had emotion to them. Even supporting characters like Hot Dog Water and Sheriff Bronson Stone had amazing moments. And the emotion that was felt in this series, my god, especially in the quieter character moments.

Cons: I feel they butchered Velma's character a bit. Having her hopelessly, some might say, obsessively in love with Shaggy was a big misstep in the show. The filler episodes were far too uninteresting. When we're getting so much plot from an overarching story, it feels disjointed to suddenly have to deal with a robot monster. Far too many technology based creatures, especially in season 2.

Overall, an amazing series with an established story and so, so, so many quotable lines. I will never gush about this series enough.
An Honest Review
generationofswine1 April 2017
This is right up there with 13 Ghosts...only better.

13 Ghosts was an 80s update that turned the mystery into adventure stories and it did work very well.

What's New, Scooby-Doo? was an updated version that was OK...but focused too much on being updated and kid friendly to the point where it lost some Scooby Fans.

Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue! seemed to forget what Scooby Doo was all about, much like Be Cool, Scooby-Doo! forgets that Scooby has a certain feel behind it.

Mystery Incorporated, however is just brilliant.

It is updated enough where it works for today's time. It is light hearted enough for children to enjoy. It is spooky and dark enough for adults and...plus...the mega cherry...it is retro enough to not only reference the old Scooby Doo shows, but also reference the era that they all originally aired.

And, just to add more to it...it even references the animated movies.

It does it all with episodes that work as stand alone plots and all fit into an actual series wide chronology with an even bigger mystery to top it all off.

It is the best done Scooby reboot to date and one that successfully works for both a new generation of viewers and the old die hard Scooby Doo fans.

A must watch.
A very intriguing show
kayinvn23 March 2017
Mystery Incorporated is a great show. With each episode following on like a movie you really get to know more about the characters and there backgrounds. I also enjoyed learning about the over-arching mystery of the entire series and how everything is revealed and tied together neatly at the end. Interesting to watch 9/10
A really good Scooby Doo Incarnation
Devean Atkinson21 February 2017
Well, this was definitely different from other Scooby Doo cartoons, but in a good way! The plot of the show was really intriguing, and the mysteries were really good and well written. Some of the earlier episodes were a bit worse, but as the show went on, the show produced some great story lines. The whole debacle with the different Mystery Incs. in the past was really well done and overall a great plot line to add to the show. The episodes are pretty funny, and there's plenty of likable characters in the show. One of the main reasons I believe people don't like this incarnation is that it's much creepier and less innocent than most other Scooby Doo cartoons, but I think it's balanced out since it is pretty funny and the mysteries are usually tough to guess. Despite the fantastic overall story-line, there were some things that bugged me. First off, why is Fred all of a sudden this super dumb character that only cares about traps? Also, I wasn't a huge fan of the Shaggy-Velma relationship arc, but I didn't mind it too much. Overall though, as somebody who's watched many Scooby Doo episodes and Movies before, I can firmly say they did this one well.
Mystery Inc Best ever Scooby Doo
thornwivans9 September 2016
I could almost give Mystery Inc a 10 out of 10. This is the best Scooby-Doo series ever.

The mysteries are great the way hey all link together.

To me it seems there's been more thought than ever put into the scripts to make sure the stories and characters are well developed.

The characters have way more depth than any other series which is the reason it makes this by far the best series of Sooty-Doo.

The relationships of the characters are hilarious which makes it entertaining for all ages.

I wished they'd make more episodes.

Hopefully Mystery Inc will one day come back into production.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A lot to like, but wrong direction on fleshing out the characters...
cybishopm23 August 2016
I'm a long-time Scooby fan. The animation for this show is fantastic, as is the voice acting. (In fairness, I'm a sucker for Patrick Warburton.) The plots, the action, the comedy, all great. I like the introduction of an overarching plot, a larger mystery that they're working through at the same time as the episodic mysteries (and sometimes the two tie together!). There's a lot to enjoy here, and I especially love the parodies and fourth-wall winks to the audience ("Quick, gang, into the abandoned factory! We'll be much safer among all the dangerous machines!").

I like that they decided to give the characters more personality in this one, but the way they went is problematic. Shaggy and Scooby are pretty much the same as before - they like to eat, they like food, nice and simple. :) Fred is now obsessed with traps - a cute nod to earlier iterations of the show taken to silly excess (like someone finding a copy of 'traps illustrated' magazine and Fred defensively claiming to only read it for the articles). Daphne is obsessed with... Fred. She just wants Fred to notice her and take a romantic interest in her. That's all the depth there is to her character, a notice-me-senpai girl who can't be bothered to straight out ask Fred if he wants to go on a date. And Velma is obsessed with... Shaggy. Yup, the two girls are 100% obsessed with the two guys, and that's their defining character traits. In an early episode, they encounter a puzzling moment where the clam shack isn't open because the doorknobs have been stolen. Velma, rather than making any comment on the weirdness of someone stealing doorknobs, sidles up to Shaggy and flirtatiously offers to take him back to her house to get some food instead.

The show indicates that Velma and Shaggy are actually dating, but their relationship is basically an exact copy of Daphne and Fred's - the girl wants a relationship, the guy is uninterested. Actually, it's worse with Shaggy, because he's actively against anything that might seem romantic between them. He claims it's because he doesn't want to upset Scooby, but even when the two of them are completely alone, he still tries to push away Velma's attempts at romance. (Seriously, Velma? You are SO better than this.) Ultimately, it's a show about two guys who care about food and traps and two girls who are trying to be noticed romantically and failing for various reasons.

I could have understood it better if one of the romances was flipped, where the guy was pursuing the girl, but it just seems demeaning that the two leading women are both more interested in romance than anything else. Velma was always 'the smart one' - as a girl growing up, I felt very connected with her as a fellow 'smart' nerdy type who wasn't all that popular or attractive - and they've retained some degree of that in that she knows how to google and set up A/V equipment, but her character no longer revolves around being the smart one, it revolves around her relationship with Shaggy (even after they -spoiler- part ways, much of her character is still defined by her former relationship with him).

The relationships do -spoiler- gradually change over time - various events get through to clueless Fred so that he finally recognizes the feelings he has for Daphne, and there's a multi-episode subplot involving Shaggy being forced to choose between Scooby and Velma (again, seriously, Velma?) leading to a breakup, even a temporary breakup of the entire group. But the guys still have their own personalities either way, while the girls are still only about their relationships with (or not with) the guys. And that's kind of it. :/

I'm almost to the end of season 1, and the treatment of the women on this show has continued to bother me. Some episodes, the girls do literally nothing at all to help solve the mystery. (Though that relates to another issue I have - in many episodes, -spoiler- it seems the gang does little to nothing to solve the mystery and are just handed the answer by a mysterious figure involved in the overarching plot.) There's also an episode where Daphne indicates Fred has given her a twelve-page schedule of what her day is to look like, including specific time designations for romantic affection to be shown. This is made into a joke and then brushed off toward the end of the episode as him being worried about people he loves. Apparently the writers have had the privilege of never being in abusive relationship, where taking control of the other person in the name of 'worrying about the one I love' is one of the first thing an abuser will do. I don't expect cartoon shows to have perfectly balanced relationships, but I really do expect them to NOT teach children that abusive behaviors are normal and even romantic. Blech.

I'm still watching for all the fun/silly stuff, but I will be waiting until my daughter is older before I let her watch it, and I'll definitely be talking to her about the show's ridiculous treatment of the female leads to make sure she understands that women actually exist for more reasons than just being eye candy and fawning over men, and are, in fact, capable of contributing. Because she won't see either of those facts in the course of this show.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Finally, a show for the long time fans ! The best Scooby spin-off.
Mahmoud S9 August 2016
I was a massive Scooby Doo fan as a kid in the 80's and 90's. I followed every Mystery Inc outing, up until the mediocre 'Legend of the Vampire' and the stale 'What's New Scooby-Doo?'series after which I gave up on the shows, tired of the overused Scooby formula. That was until I accidentally stumbled onto the pilot of this show back in 2010.

The show takes place in Crystal Cove, a virtual hub of seemingly 'paranormal'activity, which the locals welcome as a boon to the town's revenue (haunted tourism). Sadly for them, a local high school gang of meddling kids are fixated on solving mysteries, one of whom (Fred Jones) is the Mayor's son. Mystery Inc are essentially persona non grata. The episodes are your traditional mystery format, with a running subplot that gains momentum throughout this very well paced, well written and elaborately layered series.

I can safely say this is the best Scooby-Doo series since 'Scooby- Doo Where Are You?'. Dare I say it surpasses it? It probably does, but the original show is so sacrosanct that I can't even bring myself to say it. The show draws from the massive Scooby-Doo backlog, often featuring cameos like previous monsters and sidekicks which definitely appeals to the die-hard fan. The show also has many references to pop culture that younger audiences may not be too familiar with (things like Lovecraft, the Velvet Underground, 8 track tapes, to name a few). The show is very retro-modern in both feel and content. The artwork manages to be cartoony yet macabre which really adds to the quality of the show.

There is a LOT of character development in the show. All previous instalments focused on Shaggy as the central human character, often neglecting and reducing the other three to one dimensional stereotypes (the nerd, the jock, the popular girl). This series invests so much into all the gang members that it's hard to say who my favourite character is. Moreover, the romantic entanglements within the group are addressed head-on and actually take centre stage. Great screenplay and writing too.

I think this show appeals to all regardless of where they lie on the Scooby fan spectrum.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Depth and absurdity reels an old fan back in
pingnova23 May 2016
Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated (SDMI) is everything I wanted out of the Scooby- Doo franchise. I grew up watching every animated and live-action incarnation of the Scooby gang's adventures. They were very enjoyable, but especially as I became older, I gravitated towards the more action and plot oriented Scooby-Doo releases (Reluctant Werewolf, Witch's Ghost, Cyber Chase, and Alien Invaders were staples). Legend of the Phantosaur caught me by surprise on Cartoon Network one day, reeling me back in from the relative apathy I'd developed regarding my old favorite. It felt like a fresher, slightly more serious take on the typical plot. I soon after discovered SDMI and was blown away by the shift in tone. It takes itself more seriously, with a larger overarching plot that leads to an ending with massive implications for the gang's universe. SDMI is chiefly an alternate version of the gang's overall story, so each plot element borrowed from past incarnations is taken with a grain of salt and a dose of parody. I'm tempted to label it as "darker", but aside from an often visibly "darker" color palette and the fact that each mystery contributes to plot continuity, SDMI seems no darker than the original 60s cartoon (of which I distinctly remember Scooby almost getting gruesomely sawed in half, among other incidents). What this version of Scooby-Doo has is a lot of depth: the overarching mystery thickens with each episode and the characters gain a depth and breadth of characterization I've never before seen. In a somewhat refreshing interpretation of Fred and Velma, Fred is heavily Autistic-coded (assigned similar characteristics as those on the Autism spectrum) and Velma queer-coded (assigned similar characteristics as those in the LGBTQ community). While it would have been nice to have it stated outright, it's typical of the entertainment industry to leave it up to "viewer interpretation". Issues explored throughout include toxic masculinity and defining the concept of family. The seriousness that comes with these topics is easily balanced out with moments of humorous absurdity, because while the show addresses a lot of heavy issues, it can't stray from its core of laughs and fun times. I enjoyed it very much, and enthusiastically recommend it to fans of Disney's Gravity Falls, which shares mystery solving youth and supernatural goings-on centered around a particular town. SDMI immediately claimed the number one spot in my heart for Scooby-Doo related media. Once I get around to it I'm totally purchasing the box set. I'm giving it 9 out of 10 stars because I noticed a few reoccurring animation mistakes in an otherwise pretty solidly animated show, and because despite how much I love SDMI, perfect scores are nigh impossible.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I can't think of a better way to handle Scooby-Doo
Sarah Bedwell9 February 2016
Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated is bewildering in so many ways, but the most accurate summary of this is that it is somehow both an accurate homage to the original series, keeping many of its elements and calling back to it many times, and yet at the same time is the grandest and most different venture this series has ever taken. In some ways, I even have to catch myself from calling it the perfect Scooby Doo cartoon. To begin with the differences that make it so great however, it's a departure not only from many of the character archetypes that have been so prominent in previous shows, but is also a departure from the classic setting of "Coolsville" and now taking place in a small, beach-side tourist trap called Crystal Cove; a place that self advertises being the most haunted place on Earth. Many of Scooby-Doo's past antagonists get their own callbacks in the museum Velma's family works at, and some old companions even get their own hilarious write-offs as to why they're not in the show. For example, upon seeing Scrappy-Doo's statue in the museum, Daphnie gives a horrified reaction, and Fred holds her close telling her "We promised to never speak of him again". Another difference, this time more directly relating to the characters of "Mystery Incorporated", is that they are no longer self-sufficient adults, but aren't quite the dependent young children they were in 'A Pup Named Scooby-Doo'. They're teenagers, in their twilight years of High school, I believe. While this could very easily regress into a teenage trap of warding off cliques while they solve mysters, the show manages to avoid this and remain more respectable, focusing primarily on the mystery of the episode, the characters working to figure it out, and most impressively, the Earth-shattering mystery that unveils itself slowly but surely throughout the entirety of the two seasons. Lastly, as far as changes, as many have said, they're all more characterized this time, with individual traits and even quirks that make them more dynamic and fun to work off of each other, and in ways more relatable. For example, Daphnie is shown early on to be allergic to shellfish, and though it at first seems like an excuse to solve the mystery of 'The Man Crab', throughout the remainder of the series she'll continue to stay away from shellfish and worry about her allergies to them. The changes in how it's written, as well, make the show not only different and more complex, but have made it many things that people never expected Scooby-Doo to ever be. The movies, despite their lack of success, tried to be both humorous and serious at the same time to create a dramatic, but lighthearted story. They obviously failed. Trying to do the same, Mystery Incorporated not only succeeded by being not only epic, but also hilarious. As the mystery of Crystal Cove unfolds more and more, everything becomes so complex and detailed that it begins to feel like an actual mystery. In fact, things that had happened had me guessing at so many potential options, and I began to wonder and speculate at every character we've seen and wondered if the main villain of the first season would be someone totally new. It wasn't. And the twist at the end of the season actually had me gasping, and crushed by as much feels as your typical anime. The ending of the first season is an excellent example of just what this series becomes; the ending is a thrilling cliffhanger where the original identities of everyone involved with the old mysteries are revealed, but many of their motivations and where they are today remain as much of a mystery as ever, and before Mystery Inc. can even speculate at what might be happening, the gang is separated, and their parents seem to have no intent to even allow them to see each other ever again. Of course, by the second season, they do, but even just imagining seeing that conclusion and then having to wait a whole year before the gang got together again like those who watched live when the series came out is incomprehensible to me. This show is expertly written, and the only thing that keeps it from being a 10/10 is some clunky romantic drama early in the show, but even that gets better and becomes as expertly written as anything else. I can't recommend this show enough, as it's the perfect representation of Scooby Doo. Watch it if you can.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good art direction, backwards character development
Ian21 June 2015
I've always loved Scooby-Doo. They mysteries have been good, and the characters believable. When my father and brothers started watching this show, I was intrigued by the art direction. It's darker, allowing them to reasonably pull off some more mature stuff than they did in the original series. I also liked the way they took a larger mystery and wove it throughout the series, putting pieces of it in each of the other mysteries. The problem I have with this series is that they took the original characters, who had depth and were well-made, and they flattened them, reducing them to a single personality trait. That is no way to go about making your characters. Fred has been reduced to a person who is only obsessed with making traps and doesn't think about anything else. The other characters have been equally reduced to a sliver of their former depth.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Scooby solves the mystery of th universe? "'Rat's right, Raggy!"
winner5514 March 2015
Fascinating update of an old series, with nicely stylized contemporary animation stylings, and some real comedy.

In the most recent, most innovative re-casting of the Scooby Do phenomenon, Mystery Incorporated, most of the individual stories remain in the classic mode, but with twists concerning the character development of the gang. We won't get into that, but we will note the twist that series as a whole takes.

The series is actually constructed around what is now known as a 'story arc,' a meta-narrative tying the individual stories together. And here's where things get a little strange: The meta-narrative at last reveals what appears to be a supernatural phenomenon – the Evil Entity – motivating the series as a whole. Most reviewers seem to agree that this is borrowed from the Cthulu mythos originating in the writings of fantasy cult figure, H. P. Lovecraft. To be honest, I was never able to wade through Lovecraft's dense and florid prose, so I don't know this, but I do know that Lovecraft's cult is fairly large for a writer unknown beyond the genre readership, and has always included many aspiring young fantasy writers.

It should be noted that, although I think most readers at least initially read Lovecraft as a fantasy/horror writer, and none seems to deny purely fantasy elements to his texts, there does appear to be a kind of science fiction element to the Cthulu mythos; although the Old Ones appear to us as gods, or demonic forces, they are actually rather long lived aliens, possibly from another dimension or a parallel universe.

And, as it so happens, it is revealed in the final scenes concluding the Mystery Incorporated series that the explanation of what the Scooby gang has experienced, and of its final, happy result, is to be found in the 'alternative time-lines' made possible thanks to the contemporary 'multiverse' theory! And who should reveal this, but no less a respected a figure of real-world science fiction than writer Harlan Ellison – yes, himself represented in cartoon form, with his own voice dubbed over it. (Fortunately, he remarks, he himself is such a genius that he has been able to remember all the different time-lines his alternative selves have lived through in their respective universes This willing self-parody is apparently entirely in keeping with his public personality.)

We began with a simple detective mystery, searching for empirical clues, and ended up in the realm of theoretical physics, searching for multiverses. Cartoons have indeed come a long way since 1970....
This Is NOT Scooby Doo
YankeeDood12 August 2014
It's just a spoof of the original cartoon. The hipster producers don't realize when you make fun of the original elements that made Scooby great, you are left with a pile of nothingness and that is what Mystery Incorporated really is - a pile of nothingness.

The only thing creepy about MI is the ridiculous hipster aura contained in every episode. I shiver when Velma talks about Shaggy "Rocking the burgers."

Also, what is up with Fred becoming a cry baby and romance developing between everyone except Scooby? I roll my eyes every time Daphne flirts with Fred or Velma flirts with Shaggy because it's very distracting and even nauseating to sit through. None of these characters were like this in the original show, fortunately.

Finally, I cringe when the families of these high school sleuths are profiled because they are all super wealthy and bring you a new image of the gang as being nothing more that spoiled brats solving crimes just to have something to do when private school is closed.

This series is very forgettable as are all Scooby's made after 1990. In my opinion, the original Casey Kasem as Shaggy episodes will never lose their spooky charm because Scooby belongs in the 70's and that's where the show maintains its nostalgic attraction (especially that flower power van!). If that makes me old school, then I'm proud of it! R.I.P. Casey Kasem
1 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Scooby Doo done right!
Muneeb Alam9 May 2014
This is my first animated series (from Cartoon Network) that I finished all episodes of. I always loved Scooby Doo: Where are you? as a child but after that none of the spin-offs clicked me (Except that Zombie Island movie). However all changed this series.

• Not only this series develops round & dynamic personalities of "The gang" but introduces a whole new "series story arc" (Like a continuation of a whole bigger mysteries). Plus the romance and bonding together of the gang too

• Characters are seen interacting with others and these "others" are recurring characters for both seasons. Along with some other Hanna- Barbera retro cartoon characters cameo as well.

• "Monsters" are actually well done and although sometimes you know who it is (especially for first season), many a times it was surprising.

• The series also has references to old Scooby Doo: Where are you and characters' one liners (esp. Scooby & Shaggy) are really funny

Overall, this is an animated series done right. Since this is Cartoon Network, I can see why they kept it "not too mysterious & dark" for kids. However in my opinion, only people 13+ will appreciate the production. Nevertheless old Scooby Doo fans should give this a try, I did and I loved every clue of it...
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
NOT very impressed
!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My daughter is a major Scooby fan(she's 3), so we decided to watch the show from start to finish on Netflix. I like the basic mystery storyline, with it's complex twists and turns. The show itself, kept my daughter entertained, while the many different surprises that showed up in the series( the old Mystery Incorporated, Mr.E, the Darrow family, etc) kept me watching as well! I understand that the show isn't supposed to be as it used to be and I have taken that into consideration; however, coming from someone who is young and has a child, some of the themes and things addressed in the series are unnecessary. I believe after watching it that the series would be a lot better for instance, if the drama between Velma, shaggy, and scooby was left out. It doesn't really aid the show in any way, but in my opinion, kind of hinders the mystery element. In addition to that,I would also like to note that the longer the series goes on, the darker and scarier the show gets. By the last episode, I was debating turning it off and not even completing it. The only reason I did was out of pure curiosity. Which led me to this conclusion, in the last few episodes, the old M.I. gang has the planispheric disk and wishes to obtain access to another dimension(I guess you could say) in doing so, they wish to release an evil entity and take over the world, of course, Scooby and the gang wish to stop this. So upon reaching the entity in the 4th element world(fire by the way), the Parrot(Professor Pericles) is consumed by the entity after he releases it. The entity then begins eating(yes, eating) all the people from Crystal Cove, as Scooby and the gang watch. Eventually Scooby and the gang save the day; however, I was unable to move past the whole premise of these episodes. I think it is COMPLETELY inappropriate to market a show for children a feature an evil entity first of all, and then add on to the fact that the entity happens to live in a world of fire that just happens to ironically look like H*ll(the place) and then the entity has the voice that I would say is akin to being demonic.This whole scenario was really really scary, and a very adult like theme, not at all appropriate for a children's show. I was not happy and am actually disappointed with the direction it took. If you have younger children, DO NOT allow them to watch the show all the way to the end. Screen the 2nd seasons last few episodes for yourself before you decide. You won't be sorry!
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Potential Fulfilled
TheMailOnSunday6 April 2014
The villains are frightening. The characters are fleshed-out. the plot is dynamic. The art style is unique, and its universe has depth. Put simply, this is Scooby-Doo living up to its fullest potential.

I know my Scooby. I grew up with all the incarnations of the show, and while it's generally held a place in my mind as being fun, I probably would never have considered myself a true fan. I didn't doodle Scooby on my class notes.

But some genius came along and changed the rules. This show is true expansion, not a retelling of the original story. Not a remake. It's not trying to be hip, or modern. It's trying to be iconic; it's trying to be bold. They flashback to scenes straight out of the original series, and build their universe brick by brick, staying true to the core elements of Scooby (including the ridiculous slapstick), while introducing intrigue, fear, tension, development - and humor, like you've never seen in Scooby before.

I think the moment I realized that I might be watching something incredible came along when Velma was giving a tour of her family's Spook Museum, and casually resting in the background was the opening monster from the Scooby-Doo live action film. It never came up; it was just *there*.

That was a tell-tale sign of a groups of creators that loved their material - both good and bad. It takes guts to recognize the embarrassments of a franchise, and then continue onward, using elements of that embarrassment to produce something wonderful. Passion is oozing from the seams in this show.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Revamped Characters, Haunted Atmosphere, and Totally New Approach
Djaxx_Hz11 July 2013
In spite of some serious negativity from other reviews, I can honestly say that I watch through both seasons 1 and 2 without ever having any problem with the way this show was handled or developed. In a word, it's brilliant, and the good parts of this masterpiece of storytelling far outweighs any trifling personal issues I have with some specifics. Still I'll get the bad stuff out of the way beforehand to clear the air of any problems one can expect to run into with the show.

My first very slight yet tempered issue is with the bad guys. They are certainly well designed, but there isn't always a really solid mystery to follow. 70% of the time the bad guy is way too obvious, or totally unguessable. However, the times when it is obvious, the choice still makes sense for the storyline. And every time it's totally unguessable the show comes up with highly imaginative explanations for the bad guy's motive. The real kicker is the 30% that it's guessable but not always completely obvious, and these episodes are the real gems.

The biggest problem this show ran into in my opinion was the relationship between Velma and Shaggy. Personally, I would have liked to see these two really hit it off and eventually make a compromise between their very different personalities. The relationship is rocky to say the least, and never really pans out to a satisfying conclusion.

If these aspects of the show were just slightly better tweaked, I would have no problem giving the show a 10, but it had its hiccups. Rant over, now onto the good stuff.

Where was I, oh yes, the characters. Some have mentioned that the show is less Scooby focused. This is true, but to the show's strength not it's detriment. There's only so much you can do with a scaredy-cat dog that likes to eat. The other characters are more fleshed out.

Scooby is still his usual comedic ham of a self. Shaggy's slackerish tendencies are more modernized, but he is more or less the same. He does have some interesting ways of sneaking around food. Velma has higher expectations of herself and the gang in this incarnation, and she plays the role of the more grounded skeptic who requires a logical explanation for everything. Daphne is the youngest daughter of a rich family where she lives somewhat in the shadow of her older more successful sisters. Fred is perhaps my favorite. He can be characterized as more of an idiot-savant. He's not too bright and out of touch with his emotions, but is obsessed with and an absolute genius at setting up traps.

The group is more dynamic in this show. While they are most certainly friends, they go through some drama. In my opinion, this makes them far more realistic that their previous counterparts. Even though they argue and have their issues, they always manage to show that they truly care for each other when it's most important, and they fix their problems in time to capture the bad guy, or at least are willing to shelve them for a more opportune moment to talk it out when the bad guy shows up out of nowhere.

Another high point of the show is the new animation style along with the atmosphere the show puts together. The music definitely fits, and all the synthesizers are high tech and well programmed. It's worth checking out a copy of the soundtrack at some point. The drawing is much darker compared to most of the show's earlier incarnations. Toxic greens and rage-filled reds illuminate the screen at various points in the show. The animators almost certainly took a page from the book of the programmers from World of Warcraft, if you are familiar with that game's color scheme. It makes for a magically charged haunted atmosphere.

The show also has a new design as far as the storyboard goes. Episodes have their villain of the week, but the show does a fantastic job of having a much larger overarching story that takes place in the town of crystal cove. Previous mystery enthusiast groups have had their problems here as well, and the classic Scooby gang has to overcome obstacles in order to not repeat the same mistakes as their predecessors. Much can happen between ancient artifacts and other dimensions, and the bigger mystery is one you won't want to miss.

Other high points include: Recurring side characters, throwbacks to older scooby shows, downright zany Rube Goldberg style traps, and an ending that ties everything off with an odd yet fulfilling sense of closure. I'm crossing my fingers for a sequel series.

Overall I'd give this show an 8.7, but for the purposes of rating I'll round that up to 9.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Trust me. DON'T give it a chance!
TheCartoonfaxuator9 April 2013
Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated is a show that i really recommend that every body avoids. I have watched all 52 episodes, and I must say this is a disgrace to the Scooby-Doo series, the dog, and Hanna Barbra.

First off, I think i should talk about the only good things in the show. The Fantastic graphics. This show graphics are on par of a really good TV made cartoon movie. The Gang Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby have never looked their best until this show. Even though, compared to their other images that look a bit more human like on the older shows and movies. This show just has a better way of showing more emotion, color, and expression. And it just looks incredibly gorgeous. The music also deserves some special praise. The orchestra matches every scene in the cartoon. But even with knock-out graphics, and a haunting orchestra. This is all over weighed by the show's story characters, characteristics, theme, and Ending.

The show's story is beyond laughable. First off the show's story has a mature theme meant for late teens involving one of the most well known kid and adult cartoons, Scooby-Doo. It's that funny. The story is about the gang being manipulated by an evil alien entity wanting to rule the universe kill puppies and Et cetera. For several thousand years this entity has manipulated and destroyed friendships of mystery solving gangs to be set free. Scooby-Doo is a cartoon that is never meant to have a serious story. And if this show was for the new generation, then there not going to get much out of it, because to get the most out of the show, you would have to watch all the old scooby doo cartoons. and I mean all of them. Including the movies. One of the noticeable differences in the show, is that Fred and Daphne Finally date, and try to get engaged. W.T.M.F.K. ( Way to much for kids.) Even Velma and shaggy went out, and it failed hardcore. Scooby even got a girlfriend. At the end of the show the gang destroyed the evil entity and created a different time line of pure peace with no mysteries. The Gang was devastated, until they got a letter from a college full of mysteries. They quickly decided to leave their families. Scooby even left his girlfriend Nova. Let's hope that dog finds a nice golden retriever. This really is a terrible cartoon. I can't stress this enough. I just want to mention this to parents, that Dahpne in three episodes wears a sexy night gown, a sexy purple bikini, and as if you could guess, a sexy heavy metal rock band outfit, with the world's smallest mini skirt. Yeah, that's right. I give this piece of crap a 2.8/10. Whoever created this show should be ashamed.
5 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny with a chance of Horror
Mrs M E Firth7 April 2013
Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated, now ended in the US, has been something of a roller- coaster, and that is understood by many, I believe. And now, I have a chance to compliment its superiority, because it is simply that.

To begin with, it is a pure homage to the original series with cameos of numerous monsters from the very first selection of episodes. It also features Hanna-Barbera characters and other animated individuals, the continuity references are endless. And with this collection of characters, it has given us, as the audience, a sofa to sit upon. Then, it gets better. The character development is something to be recognised because it gives a change to the dullness and simplicity of the first series and gives an overview of life in reality and why relationships can be the toughest things to handle even when monsters and villains roam the streets. And that, all in all, is what pushes this series ahead.

Moving on to the story now, this is what I acclaim highest. It is simple yet complex. By that I mean the writing is simple, but the story and concept is sweetened by complex storytelling. It gives me the feeling that these writers have planned and scraped for objects and characters they can use and slot them in to some particular episode. Right from the beginning, in episode one, we are given something that will stick with us throughout the series (two in fact), a phone call from Mr E and a golden locket, with that oh-so majestic tune. And then by the end, we are given an answer, something that was at first so small it could barely be spotted, to a point where the fiction has become something so incredibly gigantic, it is momentous. And then the ending is emotional, we see everybody, as they were as they never were, all the monsters and villains that Mystery Incorporated unmasked and all the characters they met...all gone. That poignant and very significant end, is something that not many series can do and it forces audiences to say - "Wow!", because it is that good.

But not only that, the animation has exceeded itself, the voice actors are incredible, the direction is original, the sound effects and music are immaculate. Everything that makes this show has been somewhat breathtaking, because of its substance and the enthusiasm and thought that has gone into making it. The horror is so brilliant, one can almost believe its reality.

This is not a series of pictures rushing past, this is brilliance in the truest of senses and all wrapped around a cartoon character who is loved by millions of children across the globe. And the song that this story has sung, will never stop singing.

P.S. Whoever decided that this series was right for seven-year-olds, they were absolutely wrong! I'm warning you parents, people die in this story, and it is something a child must never see until they are mature enough to understand what the concept entails.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What's all this violence about?
alwaysplanb7 April 2013
This is THE darkest Scooby Doo Series I've ever watched. Love it or Hate it, you simply can't ignore it.

I've to admit that the mysteries were top notch. Every episode started with a 'seemingly' supernatural mystery that had a perfect explanation later on(well, almost!). Despite watching so many Scooby Doo series, this one had mysteries that even baffled me :)

I also liked the character development (though at the cost of reduced Scooby & Shaggy time!) and how it served as a prequel to other Scooby Doo series!

And the BEST part was how it paid subtle homage to horror classics and other Hanna Barbara shows! Yogi Bear, Johnny Quest, Flintstones, Terminator, Halloween, Night of Living Dead, etc. I think I've to watch the series again to look for more :)

Now, for the parts that I didn't like. Where are the chases, guys? The comedic chases that became a staple of Scooby Doo series, were almost missing in this one. And the evil-doer fell into the trap, almost in seconds, after it was set. But above all, I really hated the 'intent to kill' of the bad guys. Many of them weren't just trying to scare people off, they were ready to kill!!!

In earlier Scooby Doo series, it was usually a masked man trying to scare off the meddling kids! There were exceptions (Zombie Island, anyone?) but not to this extent. The death of Cassidy Williams was acceptable, but the death of Hot Dog Waters in the season 2 finale shocked me to quite an extent. Maybe the first violent death in the history of Scooby Doo! Even with the entire alternate timeline gimmick, you simply can't ignore that scene.

I hope they eliminate such unnecessary violence from the future series. Or,it might be the death of Scooby Doo show as we know it.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is bad. That's it.
zachymcsmacky18 March 2013
First of all, I'll start off with the positives. I like the constant use of 'ascending strings' to make certain scenes more 'scary'. I also like the funny and stupid Sheriff Stone. And finally, I am impressed with the close-to-perfect voice acting of the gang.

One more thing that I would have liked about this show if it was done correctly is the introduction of a story line over the entire series (like that involving Mr. E and the Afro lady). I like the idea. But unfortunately, I feel it could have been done far better. If it was not so corny, (not the Scooby-Doo corny, but the trying-to-be-serious-but-not-really-working corny) this should have been focused on more than the silly 'drama' and romance.

Now for the not so good aspects. Scooby is now a tertiary character- in the most recent episode I watched, Scooby only had probably about 5-10 minutes of screen time throughout the 22 minute show, and only 3 or 4 lines, which consisted mostly of one word. Also he is unfunny (and as mentioned by another reviewer) out of character.

Additionally, Scooby Doo is now a teen drama. Velma is a very annoying, embarrassingly erotic, seductive and dominating to Shaggy (and for the record is barely a nerd) and Shaggy is not so bad, but he still allows Velma to get intimate with him and pull him about, and forgets about Scooby because of his weird 'relationship'. Daphne constantly wants Fred (and whenever Fred does want her, she turns idiotically bi-polar and rejects him, also in my most recently watched episode, was wearing some kind of rubber or shiny spandex clothing, which made it so awkward I had to turn it off). Fred is partial to a bit of Daphne, but not in a serious relationship, so he is a bit less annoying, but is banally stupid, has a Jay Leno chin on hyphy-mud and a really unhealthy obsession with traps. This is what I hate about the show. From what I've watched, it's more about poorly constructed love triangles than actual mysteries (and I've watched quite a few episodes).

I am not a Scooby Doo fan per se- I just like cartoons and watch it from time to time. But this was just so bad I HAD to review it. So for those reasons, I rate this with 2 stars.
4 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Some reviewers don't seem to get it.
homestar175 November 2012
First off, I NEVER give anything a perfect score -- there is always room for improvement. I grew up watching Scooby Doo in reruns, because I'm not old enough to have seen it firsthand, and I'm a huge fan.

This incarnation is a reboot -- something which many viewers/reviewers don't seem to understand (especially the above reviewer, ctyankee1) -- and often goes into a darker, more serious storyline. It's not the same one from the 60s or 70s & it's not trying to be. I love it because of its "neo-retro" (modern & oldschool at the same time) look. Everything is connected, from one episode to the next & I think they did a fantastic job paying homage to the original series (from canon flashbacks to past villains).

After reading some negative reviews, I can tell that most of the reviewers don't really watch the show or have only watched an episode or two -- which is sad. With the overarching story lines, you have to watch it from the beginning of the series, or you really lose so much. Give it the chance it deserves before brushing it off as garbage.
41 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Art is awful
ctyankee14 November 2012
I do not like this series of Scooby Doo. The characters are drawn in such a way they have to many colors on their faces and in general there bodies. In Revenge of the Man Crab Daphne has purple eyes, a sexy bikini and drawn too sexy.

I love the art work and drawing of Scooby Doo Where are you 1969-1970 and The New Scooby Doo Movies 1972-1973. the colors are simple and more normal. The colors in Mystery Inc is drawn more like someone on drugs. They are trying to make it look exciting but the colors are yucky.

This is a kids movie and they sexualized the characters. The camera shows the butts of the girls walking sexy in some of the episodes and they have Velma playing up to Shaggy.

This series has does not have the comedy or color the others have.
4 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this