IMDb > "Transformers Prime" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Transformers Prime"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Transformers Prime" More at IMDbPro »

Great Take on the Transformers Universe

Author: Barefothilbily from Australia
5 July 2011

I find this series to be a great take on the Transformers universe. Both Autobot's and Decepticon's are greatly equal in strength, and it has a more realistic atmosphere with being darker than the previous Universes.

The voice acting is done wonderfully, and it's great to see Peter and Frank in their original roles. Something that G1 never had was the power that this one does. Of course, we know being an 80's cartoon for kids, there were obvious set backs for that reason. Some debate on the fact that Prime isn't a kids show, but I believe with the world today, it suits well for children to realise consequence and death, and it's a bonus for us older fans.

Visually, I think this series has it all. Great designs, and great CGI (for a cartoon). The character development is well portrayed, and, of course, they link back to their original 80's personalities.

Overall, I think it's by far the best series up to date, aside from G1--but that's because it's the ultimate classic.

The best since G1

Author: Spiros Mavris
7 May 2011

At first I watched only because it is another TF series and since I am a fan from my childhood (G1 that is) I just watch anything new that TF franchise has to show to see how things are changing and of course out of nostalgia about the 'old days'. It is actually the first series I can watch after many many years without being disappointed (like I was with the 'Unicron trilogy'. The CGI is good, the story so far is good (although not great) and the voice actors are pretty good(and I must say the kids that are watching this series are honored to have the 'original' Optimus Prime and Megatron, Peter Cullen and Frank Welker respectively) In general I think it's the best series after G1 cartoon, it may not be perfect but it is way better than the rest of the TF series (BW and BM excluded since I don't think them as TF series but as TF-based series).

Review Based on the whole Season 1

Author: xamtaro from http://thexamtaroshowvault.blogspot.sg
31 March 2012

Transformers returns to the CGI world with TRANSFORMERS: PRIME, the first completely computer animated series since Beast Machines. At first sight, they might bear some resemblance to their live action counterparts and having Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman as writer sure does perpetuate that perception. But free from Michael Bay's creative control, the pair turn in what is easily one of the darker and more coherent story lines in Transformers animation history.

How dark is dark? Well how about having a hero gruesomely murdered within the first five minutes of the show. It is THAT dark. The premise is simple though: The Autobots arrive on Earth in the eternal search for Energon with the Decepticons following behind. Years of peace are suddenly shattered when the Autobot Cliffjumper is abducted and killed. While out to avenge their comrade, The Autobot team consisting of Optimus Prime, Arcee, Ratchet, Bulkhead and Bumblebee discover a clandestine Decepticon plot involving the mysterious "Dark energon" and the return of the dreaded Decepticon leader, Megatron.

With a smaller cast, we get a more focused character driven narrative and more room for development. The entire 26 episode season 1 is split into a few sweeping story arcs balanced with character centered episodes in between. It is a nice balance that few animated series seem to appreciate; shows that the characters are just as important as the story, and not just an excuse to sell toys. The Autobots are a combination of typical superhero team archetypes; fearless leader Optimus, action girl Arcee, gentle giant Bulkhead, and such. But over the course of the season, we get a glimpse into each of their personalities' different layers; a look at the bot within. Incidentally, the Decepticons come across as more interesting than the Autobots thanks to the hidden agendas of not just the compulsive backstabber Starscream, but every other decepticon from Soundwave to Airachnid have their own little moments of depth.

Giving life to these well written characters is an all star voice cast featuring popular voice actors like Steve Blum (Starscream), Jeffery Combs (Rachet) and Daran Norris (Knock out) along with returning fan favorites like Peter Cullen and Frank Welker, who reprise their famous roles of Optimus and Megatron. Of particular note is the inclusion of Hollywood stars like Kevin Michael Richardson (Bulkhead), Gina Torres (Airachnid), Adam Baldwin (Breakdown), Clancy Brown (Silas) and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson (Cliffjumper)!

Of course, like all transformers shows, we have the mandatory human kids caught in the crossfire: Miko Nakadai, Rafael Esquivel and Jack Darby, . Now, human characters have always served the purpose of being an "audience vehicle", allowing the viewer to relate to and see themselves in the place of the human characters. Jack, Miko and Raf clearly represent the show's intended target audience: a smart but likable teen, hyper active fan-girl and little genius nerd boy respectively. But the writing never allows the humans to "steal the screen" from the Transformers themselves (something the live action movies are notorious for).Taking a leaf out of its predecessor "Transformers Animated", the humans in TRANSFORMERS: PRIME become naturally integral to the plot rather than a hindrance or a distraction.

The TRANSFORMERS themselves remain the stars of the show. You can even see it in how much attention to detail the animation studio, Polygon Pictures, pays to the robots. By the way, Polygon pictures is the Japanese CGI studio responsible for the computer generated scenes in works such as "Sky crawlers", as well as the opening cinematics of Street Fighter IV and Resident Evil 5.

Reflections in shiny surfaces, dirt specks, chipped paint, scrapes and scratches. These ARE mechanical soldiers fighting a constant war, and it shows. Whenever they move, fight or transform you can see gears, pistons and other parts moving too. Design wise, they may take some getting used to at first, but the unique look of these Transformers combine the mechanical realism of the live action movies with the almost human yet inhuman "anatomy" of previous animated series.

It is a look that works. A shame the same cannot be said for the human characters or some of the backgrounds. The humans vary from passable in most scenes to downright clunky looking in others.

Their hair look like plastic clumps at times, their clothing lack any folds; They look only slightly better than the designs in Clone Wars. As for the backgrounds, they are inconsistently rendered with the quality varying from episode to episode.

With dynamic action sequences, complete with breath taking camera angles and even slow motion, TRANSFORMERS: PRIME definitely has all the markings of a high budget production, almost movie-like at times. A rousing score by movie composer Brian Tyler sure helps that impression. A shame that the little slip ups in quality mar what could have been the most beautifully animated CGI series of the past decade.

What we have here in TRANSFORMERS PRIME is a franchise that finally learns from its past missteps and combines the best elements of all previous Transformers show. The superb voice acting and characterisation from Generation 1, The intense action of the animated movie, Focused character driven narratives of Beast Wars, Darker tone and sense of peril from Beast Machines Galactic scale conflicts of the Unicorn trilogy And likable human characters of Transformers: animated. All of this expressed with above average technical competency, barring the occasional inconsistency in quality. True to its name, this is the Transformers brand at its prime. A new milestone that future productions would be hard pressed to top

This Show is epiclly amazing

Author: J_vera01 from United States
6 May 2012

I loved this show, it had a perfect balance, ever since i took on this show, i went ahead to see the old transformers shows and i was interested in Optimus, there was more depth to him, than i had seen in some of the other shows, but i nave really studied the others in time yet.

This show was different from pretty much any other show i have ever seen in my life and if i could i would pitch a crossover with this show with my own charatcers from my novel, thats how amazed i am by it. of course I'm trying the other shows as well for history reasons, but this one its different.

I will just say this on my reason why its different. while i was depressed and i could not do anything about it, this show was there for me in a time i needed distraction and happiness in my life, and i still watch it even now, its just...epic

Very Good with Some Annoying Traits

Author: Bailey (baileystar1014) from United States
14 January 2011

I just started getting into Transformers about a month ago from watching the Transformers 2007 movie (That's right, I'm 14 and I was never exposed to Transformers). Since then have read numerous fanfictions but Transformers Prime is the first Transformers show I've seen.

Firstly, the characters seem spot on. Bumblebee still has his child-like nature, Ratchet is still the grumpy old medic he is, and Optimus Prime is everything I could imagine (Plus Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime-Double Score!). The plot is also amazing. I found myself, after one episode, yelling "NO! Dang it!" from the suspense.

But, there are some bad things. To help relate to the audience, the director decided to add 3 humans: Raf (the computer nerd), Jack (the kid determined to have a normal life) and lastly Miko (the spastic Japanese girl). So far, in the five episodes the Hub has premiered so far, I don't really like these humans. Raf is okay but he seems way to smart for your average 12 year old. Jack is the only realistic teen, realizing the danger of being with the Autobots and trying to leave but getting sucked in again. As for Miko, (the ONLY girl on the show, by the way) she is terribly annoying. She is hyperactive and just plain troublesome. I mean, she starts out by asking ridiculous questions to Bulkhead, then brings her guitar to the base and tries to form a band, then she sneaks out with Bulkhead on a mission when he SPECIFICALLY told the humans to stay at the base? It just annoys me how anytime they put humans in the fandom that I love, they result to be annoying and get in the way.

Otherwise, the show is great and I recommend it for new Transformers fans like myself. I will be watching in February for the new episodes!

Best Transformers series to date

Author: Ethan Andrews (WaffleTurtle@gmail.com) from United States
16 June 2012

Due to the quality of the Micheal Bay films, when I heard of the newest attempt at a transformers series I was in a word.... Skeptical. My first experience with Transformers: Prime was watching poor quality reruns ripped on YouTube, and I couldn't stop watching. As a die hard fan of Transformers, I've been waiting for a well written series based off of my favorite toys.

In the first season of TF: Prime, it becomes apparent to the viewer that the characters are characters. they have depth and reason to be on the show, unlike the "characters" from previous incarnations of the Autobots and Decepticons. in the past, the characters in transformers have been used as plot devices, only there to offer unnecessary help to the characters that really mattered. Transformers Prime shows the characters meanings through the relationships they discover with themselves and others.

In the second season things do get a bit more jaded, with interlocking stories and more complex characters with more hints to the good 'ol days of G1. from what I can tell so far, Transformers Prime is a fantastic show with dark stories, fantastic animation, and promise beyond expectations. If you've been on the fence about the privately owned series, I can guarantee you'll like it.

Very good, one of the better Transformers shows since Transformers(1984)

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
3 September 2013

Transformers(1984) is still the best of the Transformers shows, but Transformers: Prime even with its faults is one of the better shows in the franchise since then. Bumblebee does have a rather bland personality this time round, Mikko is annoying(the only character in the show who is) and there is some occasional clunkiness in the dialogue for the human characters(though not as goofy in nature as the worst of the live action trilogy films). The animation however is beautifully rendered, it is smooth with beautiful dark colours and shading and the robots look just great. The music is hauntingly moody, and does help in bringing tension when called for, the action sequences especially are very well scored. The dialogue on the most part is meaningful and intelligent which more than makes up for the occasional clunkiness, while the stories are involving, rich in atmosphere and clearly structured, nothing formulaic or dull at all. The action sequences are well-choreographed, intense and compelling, and the show does a good job in maintaining a balance between story and action without one over-shadowing the other. The characters are well developed- especially so later on- and have distinct and mostly likable personalities, Optimus and Megatron are the most memorable but brownie points also for Knockout, who's very funny, and Jack, the most identifiable of the human characters. And of course the voice acting is superb from all, Jeffrey Coombs, Kevin Michael Richardson, Daran Noris and Steve Blum are very dynamic and Peter Cullen and Frank Welker are without equal as Optimus and Megatron. All in all, a very good show if not as great as Transformers(1984), which is and probably always will be the pinnacle of the franchise. 8/10 Bethany Cox

Absolutely amazing series !!

Author: egok913 from Malaysia
26 August 2012

Quite admittedly I had never been a Transformers fan until recently. I often tried the original series when I was a kid but I always found it too childish, even as a kid. I preferred G I JOE. The concept of transformers always interested me but I never actually found a cartoon that did justice to the franchise. The movies rekindled my interest but they were far from great. Too much emphasis was given to the human characters to go with other problems. In Transformers: Prime I have finally found something that I had always wished Transformers to be.

The basic mood of this series perfectly suits Transformers. It's serious but has enough humor. It has a dark feel to it which seems to be a missing ingredient of all previous Transformers series.

The picture quality is amazing. The robots look fantastic and the humans look fairly good too. The background quality does vary a bit from episode to episode but even the minimum level is very good. The camera work is excellent.

The writing is generally very good as well although there are times when it feels a little stretched out. The dialog is impressive.

The musical score is excellent and that really helps the mood and tension of any scene. Transformers is meant to be epic. That is exactly what the music reflects. At times the power of the music is such that if you get involved enough it will take you places.

But the true strength of this series is the characters. Every single character has incredible depth and development, and you can really feel that every character is unique. The bad guys are always more interesting but here you'll also come to love the good guys because you'll feel that you really know them and get to ride along in their emotional journey. The writers did not throw cheap characters by the hundreds but instead carefully chose a few and decided to make them complete.

I would go as far as to say that the quality of the show is wasted on young viewers who would probably struggle to realize just how good it is, but enjoy it all the same. This is art, not just entertainment for kids.

If you will ever love Transformers then this is it. Even if you never liked it before give it a try. You might just fall in love with it.

The best "Transformers" animated series since "Beast Machines"

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
29 January 2012

Since I was a kid, I was a big fan of the Transformers franchise. I loved the original and the movie (The one from 1986, not the horrible live-action trilogy) and I liked the two CGI animated series "Beast Wars" and "Beast Machines" (Both excellent and underrated entries in the Transformers franchise)

Sadly, the animated series that appeared after "Beast Machines" weren't good: "Transformers: Robots in Disguise", "Transformers Armada", and "Transformers: Energon" were awful series that didn't add anything good to the franchise, with bad animation and boring story lines. Oh yeah, there was also the 2007 animated series, but sadly that cartoon was just slightly better than the anime series, being way too childish and forgettable for my personal taste.

Fortunately, "Transformers: Prime", without being as good as the original series or "Beast Wars" was much better than I was expecting, with interesting story lines, which, despite being darker than most of the previous "Transformers" cartoons, still have all the fun from the original "Transformer" series. It had a very promising beginning, and the story keeps getting better as it advances. And even when the animation isn't incredible, it still works very well.The new human characters are good too (Though I found Miko to be somewhat annoying) Anyway, this is a very good addition to the "Transformers" franchise. If you liked the original series and "Beast Wars", then you will like this series too.

Transformers Has Return

Author: Terryfan from United States
11 December 2010

When I first heard that Peter Cullen and Frank Welker will return as the voices of Optimus Prime and Megatron it was excellent news for a old school fan such as myself. Also since the deal between The Discovery Channel and Hasbro to make a new Channel called The Hub many of Hasbro's toy line shows have come back on the air along with brand new shows such as Transformers Prime.

Transformers Generation 2 which was just a remake of G1 is what made me a fan of this legend. Transformers has always been a part of me and I am still proud to be a fan of Transformers.

Transformers Prime I agree with few fans is not yet as good as Generation 1 or Beast Wars but it does have a chance to be a great series.

This is the third Transformers Animated Series to be fully CGI personally I like Hand Drawn Animated but still I have respect for all types of Animated.

The Story line is following the same as The live action Movies however the story takes place three years after the last battle with the Decepticons.

However Starscream and Soundwave have been waiting for the return of Megatron who returns with a new powerful Energon, Dark Energon which could be use to bring back the dead.

Optimus Prime and his Autobots Ratchet, Bumblebee,Bulkhead and Acree are on a mission to stop the Decepticons. The Autobots have few human allies such as Jack, Miko, and Raf who are young children who have their own ways to help the Autobots Agent Fowler is the Autobots so called Allie but he has his mistrust with them The Voice acting is very good and seeing Mr.Cullen and Mr.Welker return to voicing the two main Transformers Legends is just priceless.

Peter Cullen is always the right voice for Optimus Prime, Frank Welker's new voice for Megatron is a mix he would use the G1 voice when Megatron yells and his voice would be more demanded.

Steve Blum does the voice of Starscream and his voice for the character is really chilling and make Starscream the villain he is.

Jeffery Combs does the voice of Ratchet. Jeffery is a good actor and he has been doing a good job for Ratchet. Kevin Michael Richard does voice of Bulkhead, he always had a deep voice in the movies he does and he does a very good job with Bulkhead Acree is voiced by Sumalee Montano and her voices fits Acree very well.

The Character Designs are very good like Acree is a sexy warrior, Megatron looks close to the movie Megatron but with his Fulson cannon on his arm, Optimus Prime and Bumblebee look close to their movie character with some different such as Bumblebee's alt mode. Starscream's jet mode is very cool.

The background are cool that really give you a feel of watching the Autobots and Decepticons battle it out.

Since the five part mini series is like a piece of the cake to what we may see with Transformers Prime we just have to wait and see what will take place next in the classic war between The Autobots and The Decepticons.

Transformers Prime is brand new and let see how they take the series from here.