IMDb > The Tall Man (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

It's not a horror film!

Author: moviewizguy from United States
20 June 2012

THE TALL MAN is directed by Pascal Laugier, who directed MARTYRS. From that sentence alone, you're probably already formulating expectations that this will be a bloody, nasty, little horror film starring Jessica Biel. In fact, you can't be any more wrong. The most important thing you need to know about this film before seeing it is that it's NOT a horror film. It's more of a mystery thriller/drama. The second important thing is to avoid all and potential spoilers. I went in knowing very little about the film (other than its basic storyline), and the end result is that much better. Early reviews for THE TALL MAN suggests that it's a horrible film, but I'm pretty sure the negative reception had more to do with people expecting it to be a full-fledged horror flick rather than its actual quality. In fact, I'm afraid the film's fall would be due to people's expectations.

If there is one similarity between MARTYRS and this film, it would be the presence of an underlying social commentary. Other than that, the similarity ends there. Jessica Biel, the lead actress, pulls off a phenomenal performance. She brings incredible conviction to her role that she holds our attention. The film is also shot beautifully, and director Laugier does a masterful job keeping people guessing until the very end. Overall, the film is likely to polarize the audience like Laugier did with MARTYRS. However, if you leave your expectations at the door and your mind opened, you may be left surprised and profoundly moved.

The Tall Man rocks... I just adored it...

Author: julie the Strange from France
18 June 2012

I won't tell a damn thing about the plot. It'd be criminal. I finally watched the long expected Tall Man in Cannes... Wow... I just can't understand the few reserved US reviews published on the net. This movie is amazingly brilliant. Absolutely not what I had in mind... Laugier surprised me constantly... I found his new work totally original, personal and unique. It's also visually gorgeous!!! By the end of the movie, I was moved, shaken, stunned... I had to think about it a lot... It's still staying in my mind... How many films do that? Definitely from the same french genius who wrote and directed Martyrs. The Tall Man is a whole experience...So don't listen to the few horror fans who didn't get it. The Tall Man is not horror and is not gory... Who cares? It's just a wonderful (and completely twisted) emotional thriller that make you feel and think... Also, you have never seen Jessica Biel that good... Man, I adored this movie... Pascal rocks!

Original

Author: tzrjustbrowsing
29 July 2012

This movie has a very interesting idea behind it. I have no clue to why it is only rated 5 on IMDb, but this should definitely be rated a 7 or higher. All I have to say is that this has an original story and it does portray a crude truth about the world we live in.

This is a rely good way to spend your evening if you want to watch something mind-blowing. The movie is not at all predictable, the acting is beyond perfect, it actually makes you think this is an X-Files movie where the next best thing is something you don't believe it would be possible.

I give it a 10 because this one will go into my favorite list.

Loved it

Author: JenEvans1 from United Kingdom
1 August 2012

I thought this was a great film. There were so many twists that it kept me engrossed from beginning to end.

I had read the other reviews so I realised it was not a horror (and it's not)it is more of a psychological thriller, but since I personally prefer suspense type films anyway it was a plus for me! The acting was superb, the characters all believable and as the twists kept coming it just got better and better.

If you want to see a good, entertaining thriller with lots of suspense then this is definitely one for you. If you want blood and lots of gore then don't bother.

As for me, I loved it.

Why only 5/10 ?

Author: art schneider (designbyschneider@gmail.com) from London
1 August 2012

I'm not good speaker , specially in not my origin language and this is my first review - very short ... After few thousand movies i saw just wonder why this movie has rating 50/10 ? This is really good film ,deserve at least for 7 points . For me even more ( 9/10 ) Don't understand , maybe 3/4 of people who ratings this movie were woman ? I recommend this picture and i hope rating will rise soon :) IMDb says that review must contains ten lines of text - i did't knew about it so i add more . First of all i scared sometimes on this film like hell , the way how film is made is almost perfect , story line fit me in hundred percent , probably the story line is responsible for low rating , i think . No woman understand how children can quickly fit to new family , man's ... ? Most easily understand that most important is children's future but not to the end . Somebody wonder about DNA code these kids from the poor families fit to richest new "ground" and is new parents though about this "little" problem ? Sorry 4 my English and these sense no words beyond but i wanted only say : i like this film and don't understand low IMDb rating , that's all

btw. Jessica B. is amazing in this movie , great job . and sorry one more for my English

great treat for cinema lovers

Author: PABLO AGUERO from Buenos Aires
3 August 2012

This is simply an excellent movie. It portrays a good story that is cleverly presented. I would say it's one of those movies to ponder for some time, and that alone is enough reason to watch it. Obviously I have to say that the score here doesn't do it justice at all, but anyway, it seems that many people have lost the eye for a good story. The acting is great, perhaps the best asset of the film. Jessica Biel stands out with her performance, which is intense and totally committed. Her character is nicely built and the twists of the story will not let you down. This is not a classic horror flick, but it doesn't come short of thrills and cliffhanger moments. I particularly like a story that makes room for imagination, the type of films that don't give you everything on a silver plate, and this is one of those movies. I have watched a previous movie by Lugier, 'Martyrs', which I would recommend to people who are always in for extreme emotions, but most importantly, this director is not out to please, but to tell a good story and leave a mark on the viewers. 100% recommended.

absolute brilliance

Author: rivertam26 from United States
6 August 2012

No one plays terrified like Jessica Biel she is at home giving the performance of her life when she is fighting for hers or someone elses. But there's so much more to her performance and character in this film. it's without a doubt the strongest performance of her career and one of the best of the year. I wish I could tell you what this film is really about so you can engulf yourself in the poetic brilliance of it, but I won't ruin it for you. Part of the films effectiveness comes from not knowing what to feel wherein lies the films thought provoking and urgently timeless message. The simplistic setup of the film is just this, children are being abducted from a very poor small town in Washington and the crimes are being committed by someone called "The Tall Man". When Julias' (Biel) child is taken she goes on a frantic chase to unravel the truth but as the twists and turns unfold the truth is more shocking and spellbinding than you can even imagine. Directed by Pascal Laughtier of the abysmal Martyrs. The Tall Man starts off as a brutal, powerhouse thriller after a brief setup the film quickly rushes into a nail biting chase film and it is completely thrilling. But as the film moves into it's brilliant second act you begin to question what and who you have become emotionally engaged too and than when the film finally blossoms open in it's final act it's hard to find the words to even describe the depth of thought that transpired through me. I don't wanna say anything but I will say this it's a courageous film that asks you to question who we are and what has become of the world we live in. As well as what is truly right and what is truly wrong. Most will be thrown off by the film but I'm pretty open with stuff like this especially when it's done so spectacularly. It's sure to offend some and leave others questioning what they just saw but in my opinion it was wrong to abandon this film to VOD release and a limited theatrical run it deserves to be seen and talked about. But at the same time I can see considering it's subject matter why it would have trouble getting a wide release it's speaks a very difficult language so hard for people to listen and understand. The direction is strong and the performances are remarkable besides Ms. biel in the lead Jodelle Ferland is finally given a meaty role and she does exceptionally with it as does the rest of the solid supporting cast. The film features gorgeous cinematography and one of the most surprising screenplays ever to come to film. THE BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR, ABSOLUTE BRILLIANCE.

Great Thought Provoking, Not what you would expect, this is not a horror movie.

Author: tony r from United States
21 October 2012

i really don't write reviews a lot but i felt i would give this movie a boost on positive ratings because it deserves better than a 6. At minimum it deserves 7.5, but for me i give it a 10. I liked the direction of the movie, scenery, and the storyline. Movies nowadays are so predictable but this one isn't at all. i think the director was clever in the way they made it. It makes you think about the world we live in and i like movies like this that make you think. This movie i totally could not predict it and i usually figure a movie out within 30 minutes of watching it but not this one. You have to watch it all the way thru. The movie has a major twist towards the last 40 minutes of the movie. The way it was kinda marketed i was expecting a horror movie and i decided to watch it just because i couldn't find nothing else and it turned out to be a good little gem. I could see how it could make someone mad if they are expecting a horror movie but this movie is more of a thriller/drama that starts off with what looks like it would be a horror element. They only used the horror element initially to pull you into the movie to pay attention to the story. As you progress thru the movie you realize its has a much deeper storyline. Anyway I say give the movie a chance, this definitely goes down as one of the movies i like enough to add to my collection and i recommend it.

Amazing movie!

Author: anton kostadinov from Bulgaria
2 August 2012

I recommend this movie to all my friends because nowadays it is impossible to get excited and surprised by a Hollywood production-everything is so cheap and obvious,no thrill,no thinking and imagination.Just simple stories for weak minds to understand while eating popcorn and drinking Coke.So about the movie-it is brilliant!I think about it as three stories (two of them clichés and one original),mixed perfectly.The twists in the movie are unpredictable and you don't have a clue to what happens till the very end.The acting is superb,very believable and real.The dilemma that you face is disturbing and makes you think about it long after the end credits.Just watch this movie!

brilliant 10/10 from me!

Author: Petra Callaghan from Reading
20 November 2012

I absolutely loved this film, the story line is brilliant and Jessica Biel has just become my favourite actress ( this and total recall is one of her best movies) At the beginning you think you have the film all figured out, small town in the middle of nowhere, very poor community, lots of little kids go missing and when Julia's kid goes missing ...well not everything is as it seems and the story twist is absolutely fantastic. Even long long time after the ending credits I couldn't get this film out of my head, I kept asking myself what would I do? what is right and what is wrong? as a mum myself I could see it from both sides, but I guess in the end I had to side with the "tall man". This is for sure one of the best films I have seen in a long time,it kept me glued to the screen the whole time. Some review says the low ratings must be given by women who don't understand the plot - well, I found that bit insulting, I think especially women can understand this movie. I think this is a must see.

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]