IMDb > Colombiana (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Colombiana

Colombiana More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 20: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Not Leon!

Author: beauryker-623-466161 from United States
27 August 2011

I'm going to begin by saying Besson's Leon is one of the best films ever made. Screenplay, acting, soundtrack, directing, cinematography,.....every aspect was magnificent. That being said, Columbiana is no Leon. Basically it's just a superficial Jolie film without Jolie. The story is ridiculously expounded, the actors are second rate, and the setting is about as morose and uninteresting as it could possibly be. No one cares about any character in this film. It has no heart, and no soul. Just a lot of bangs and booms. If that's your deal, go see it....although there are better like-genre films to waste your money on. Besson missed his chance at a blockbuster sequel to a classic. This dreg is not it, although I'm sure it was in the back of their minds when they conceived this tripe.

This film will be forgotten in a month. The comparisons will kill it. Meanwhile, Leon and Mathilda live on forever.

An entertaining escapist film and nothing more

Author: brchthethird from United States
12 October 2014

COLOMBIANA, while a highly entertaining revenge film with a strong female lead, is let down by clichéd storytelling and lack of character development. The story is about Cataleya, a woman whose parents were murdered when she was a child. She then becomes an assassin who sets out to avenge her parents' deaths. As far as the action is concerned, I was pleasantly surprised that Olivier Megaton reined in his tendency to over-shoot and edit. The action sequences were all well put-together and comprehensible, although a final act fight scene in a bathroom kind of dipped back into what I generally don't like about modern action sequences. As far as acting was concerned, nobody gave a bad performance (even the actress who played young Cataleya), but it's a shame that they had such a poor script to work with. The weakest part of this movie, and what really does it in, is the story. The audience is never given a window into who Cataleya is or even care aside from the fact that her parents were murdered in front of her. As an adult, she is emotionally distant and has very little personality. Sure, you could say that it's part of the character but I didn't find it very compelling. There's also the issue of everything in the plot being implausible and convoluted. Again, this is escapist entertainment but a lot of those elements really took me out of the movie. Ultimately, though, I had a decent time. The film is by no means boring, but there are a lot of better ones which tackle similar subject matter, e.g., Luc Besson's Leon, to which this is perhaps too similar.

Whilst the concept isn't original, it's the way Colombiana is executed that makes it stand out

Author: jimbo-53-186511 from United Kingdom
3 September 2013

I came across this little gem when I was out and about doing a bit of shopping. I noticed on the box that the same people involved with Taken and Leon were behind this film. I therefore decided I'd buy the Blu Ray and give it a try and I must say I wasn't disappointed.

To anyone who has seen Leon or for that matter any sort of revenge film the concept will be nothing new; we begin in 1992 in Colombia and a bunch of Colombians kill Cataleya's (Saldana's) parents following a business meeting that goes sour (they follow her father back to the family home and kill him and his wife in front of Cataleya). Before he gets killed, her father provides Cataleya with information that will get her safely to the US Embassy and Cataleya ends up relocating to the United States where she is raised by her uncle Emilio (Cliff Curtis). Cataleya asks Emilio to train her to become this super assassin - jump forward 15 years and Cataleya has now become the 'super assassin' and is out to get vengeance on those responsible for killing her parents.

Whilst Colombiana isn't an original concept for a film what I did enjoy about it is how much thought had clearly gone into the script. For example, the first scene of Cataleya as an adult shows her crashing into a car and getting arrested for DUI or being 'drunk and disorderly' which results in her spending a night in a cell, but she wasn't drunk and she uses this as a front in order to get in the same block as one of her targets - she escapes from her cell and kills her target, but makes it look as though one of the guards executed the crime. I personally thought that to come up with that alone was pretty damn smart.

There is another scene later in the film where Saldana goes to the land surveyor's office to get 'floor plans' for the house of her final target - that I also thought was brilliant. The script writers could have just followed the clichéd route of Cataleya just creeping around the house picking them off one by one - the effect/result would have been the same, but I have to give Kudos to the scriptwriters for trying to be a bit more original.

What I also liked was the fact that Cataleya wasn't merely represented as a 'stone cold assassin'. We see that she also tries to have a relationship with Danny Delaney (Michael Vartan). In one scene he is trying to find things out about her and you can see that Cataleya wants to tell him, but she knows that she can't for fear of her 'true identity' being revealed.

The acting was good by Saldana and all the rest of the cast were good as well. The characters were all well developed which meant that you actually cared for them.

Whilst Colombiana did have a fairly strong script there were a couple of implausible scenes - the prison scene where Cataleya accesses an Electrical Cupboard where the door is unlocked (any storage cupboard containing anything with High Voltage would definitely be locked). Emilio's scene where he shoots a passing motorist seemingly without consequence (yeah right). The final fight scene was also quite poorly choreographed and that's the only time when the directing was poor (the camera work was quite nauseating for those 5 minutes of so). Having said that, I still enjoyed Colombiana and whilst it isn't as good as Leon (which I didn't think it would be as Leon is a masterpiece it's still definitely worth watching).

Megaton, Besson and Kamen are still high-level

Author: Bene Cumb from Estonia
30 April 2013

This decent action thriller is directed by Olivier Megaton and screenplay is created by Luc Besson and Robert Mark Kamen - who all have decent works behind them. True, there are multiple clichés and usage of elements of their earlier creations (e.g. Leon or Taken), but they are yet skilfully compiled and intertwined. Cataleya's chases and executions of tasks are catchy to follow - partly thanks to Zoe Saldana's good performance - and the tensions are high in spite of sporadic lack of logic. The other actors worth mentioning are Cliff Curtis as Cataleya's criminal uncle Emilo and Lennie James as Special Agent James Ross, the others have too brief and/or trivial roles.

If you like wild action complemented with cat-and-mouse play and secret solo tasks, then Colombiana is definitely for you and the 1 hour 40 minutes pass fast.

This popcorn movie entertains for the most part. but it does have flaws.

Author: jamiemarks-1 from United Kingdom
26 September 2011

Colombiana is bought to us by Luc Besson, the director who bought us such assassin movies as Leon, Nikita and The Transporter franchise. In his latest movie Zoe Salanda an actress who impressed me both visually in terms of her physique and her acting ability in previous action films like The Losers and James Cameron's critically acclaimed film in terms of visual effects and 3D Avatar. She does the same thing here and though she is considered to be in that role of a bad-ass chick as she plays it here in Colombiana. But like her two other films for me she has a certain presence on screen that marks her out as more than just an action actress whose just good at stunts etc. There are certain scenes within Columbiana that separate her character and our perspective of her as being an actress who can deviate from this narrow role and carry off more serious parts. She has a bright future ahead of her and I hope that any roles she gets in future will be a film of a different type than action as she has that potential to broaden herself out.

The basic plot of the movie starts out as Cataleya as a young girl who parents are murdered in cold-blood. She escapes from the assassins and goes to one of her father friends who takes her in. She then grows up to become a stone-cold assassin herself to avenge her parents death. The plot of course is nothing new as it's been done so often before. But there were other problems with it. For a start the Colombians speaking in English was ridiculously bad in such a way it was funny. It would have been better if they had just spoken their native language and had subtitles for those parts. I wouldn't have minded.

The film didn't start well either. The first twenty five minutes was just plain awful, with a few plot holes that are so glaringly obvious, you would have to be blind not to see them. I wouldn't have minded these plot holes had the film in this segment been entertaining. First of all the father of the family who is killed doesn't even warn his own guards outside his house that his "friend" is sending men to kill him. Then miraculously Cataleya as a ten year old girl manages to jump out of a window onto her fathers car, which is easily a few hundred feet drop without injuring herself. Even being healthy for her age and having plenty of exercise she would have injured herself in some fashion as a child's bones at that age aren't fully developed. We're also meant to swallow the notion that she can travel from Colombia to Chicago in America without being picked up by the authorities.

It's only when Zoe Salanda comes onto the screen as Cataleya as an adult when the film really improves. The first scene when she comes into the police station masquerading as a prostitute is one of the scenes where Salanda steps out of the role as action chick and shows more acting ability. It is a great little scene which is humorous. In fact she is so convincing (as it is a deception) I really thought she was a prostitute. From the scene in the police station Salanda gives a great performance (with an impressive physique, she once again impresses as being an action chick). But there were a few other scenes two with her boyfriend Danny (Michael Vartan) they were surprisingly tender, particularly the second one. In these scenes and a couple of others Salanda through the projection of her dialogue and facial expressions managed to evoke an emotional response from me. I felt some sympathy for her character of what she had gone through. This is why I think she has more potential as an actress instead of just an action chick.

Good performances also come from Vartan and Lennie James as Ross (an FBI agent). Other good things about Columbiana is the stunts and action sequences were well done (those in the segment of the last eighty minutes of the movie). I particularly admired in a goofy sort of way when Catalaya uses toothbrushes as a fighting weapon. Of course the script and dialogue is bad but that is easily forgivable. I did detest the first twenty five minutes but it did get better and I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the film. This is worth seeing for most of the action and stunts and an understated performance from Salanda who is more than just eye candy in this. If you can get pass the plot implausibilities and awful script and dialogue and a cliché story, you may enjoy this for the other positives I mentioned. But that is not guaranteed as others will have differing opinions from me. I though did enjoy it for the most part. It fulfils it's primary function to entertain and you can't ask much more from a popcorn trashy movie.

A Kind of Sad Action Movie!

Author: Yichieh Chen from Taiwan
29 September 2012

The plot is predictable and not eye-opening at all.

But in the beginning Cataleya,still a little girl, impressed me with her cold and firm eyesight.

That leads me to her next steps to revenge.

Cataleya took the chance of ruining her love, live and even her remaining family just for revenge.

The loss in her childhood badly destroys the path of life in front of her.

Is it worthwhile? Marco thinks he finally find his true love, Cataleya..

His words, "I love you " seems fail to bring her back.

Sad tunes of music with the movie in the end~~~~

Better Than the Reviews I Heard

Author: plasticanimalz from United States
11 June 2012

I expected this movie to be horrible because that is all I heard of it. I'm not sure why. It wasn't horrible. The action was great and compared to most movies today, it was entertaining, which I can't say is the same for most movies that get theatrical release. My only real problem with it was the neat and tidy ending of how they figure out she's a hit man and where to find her. Obviously, when they wrote the script they could not think of any good way that some total bad a** would ever get caught so they create a ridiculous way for them to find her out and ridiculous technology to find her location. Come on. You can do better than that. In that moment it went from being a pretty good movie to student-film-quality writing. Other than that, I have no real, big complaints.

At the end of the day, it was a bit soulless, but how much can you really empathize with a killer? It's possible, but this was more of an action film than a story of depth. It's also a little unbelievable that someone so skinny has as much strength or power as she does. Sure, she could do all the gymnastics she does and look graceful, which was cool, but she doesn't really look like she could do as much damage as she does. She did carry her stunts well, though, so I will give her that. Summer Glau doesn't look as tall as Zoe so she was a little more believable in "Serenity" as this sort of ballerina a** kicker. And I'm guessing the black suit Zoe wore was to help cover up the fact that her arms are so puny. Her arms are exposed in 'The Losers' which makes Zoe look kind of anorexic. Not attractive and not convincing that someone is tough.

What Will Undoubtedly Become An Underrated Besson Classic

Author: Tyler White from Canada
1 May 2012

I remember when I first heard about "Colombiana", I was like, "Zoe Saldana kicking ass in a movie written and produced by Luc Besson? I'm already sold". So for those of you who don't know, Luc Besson is the guy who brought us "Taken", "The Transporter" trilogy, "Leon: The Professional" and "Nikita". So this guy has a pretty damn good resume. So there's no reason to not trust him. And this is a film I'm going to add to his list of awesomeness So "Colombiana" is the story of Catelaya, a girl whose parents were murdered in front of her when she was nine years old. 15 years have passed, she's become a master assassin, and now she's on a quest of revenge to kill the gangster who ordered the hit on her parents. Everyone says this and I have to point it out too; Luc Besson basically ripped off his own creation (Nikita), but it on a new hot actress, and now we have our movie. But I have to say, I don't mind him doing this one little bit. Why? Because it's his own thing he's ripping off, and the new chick playing said role is really hot.

Zoe Saldana plays Cataleya. Most people these days will know her either as Lieutenant Uhura in J.J. Abram's 2009 reboot of "Star Trek", or as Neytiri in "Avatar". This girl is one of my favorite new actresses in Hollywood, and it's nice to finally see her kick some ass. Cataleya is a precise and calculating killing machine. When she's got a weapon, you're just screwed.

The action in "Colombiana" is great. The very first action scene happens within 10 minutes. Nine year old Cataleya is being chased by Columbian gangsters and you're just thinking "Does everyone in Columbia practise free-running and parkour"? And when you throw free-running and parkour into an action flick, you get my seal of approval. Then the final action scene is just a pure bullet-fest. There is nothing more enjoyable then seeing a beautiful mansion be destroyed by grenades and mountains of bullets.

So overall, I enjoyed "Columbiana". It's a good action film, and anyone who liked "Taken" should enjoy this. It might not be Luc Besson's best action film, but I think it's a new one of his underrated classics, and I'll definitely buy this.

Colombiana

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
21 April 2012

By the numbers (…but fast pace and adrenaline-rush camera-work help) vigilante actioner with Colombian born Cataleya (Zoe Saldana, intense, athletic, and sexy), transporting herself to Chicago after seeing her mother and father killed in front of her by a drug-lord, trained to kill by Uncle Emilio (Cliff Curtis, reliable as always, in a complex role which doesn't categorize him as a hero, but has a certain bit of integrity and honor about him), becoming a precise hitwoman as an adult.

Cataleya is what the FBI call a "tag killer", she leaves a "calling card" on her victims, an artistic image of a cataleya flower that grows in Colombia. Although the FBI know about the tags, they have kept this quiet from the media, but in an act of desperation, decide to release this information to all news outlets hoping the message reaches its target. Jordi Mollà has the heavy part as Marco, the lieutenant for Don Luis (Beto Benites), a drug lord taken out of Colombia and placed in a safe house by the CIA for his connections in the drug trade. Luis knows that she is alive and wants Marco to find her before Cataleya finds them. Easier said than done. Meanwhile, FBI agent, Ross (Lennie James, not bad) is out to catch Cataleya, soon inadvertently helping the expert assassin get to Luis.

Good action scene at the opening with young Amandla Stenberg, as Cataleya at age 10, stabbing Marco and successfully fleeing from his men within the Colombia city (I think Mexico City is a substitute for Colombia, but it is a believable replacement), having to evade certain danger around every street corner, actually leaping through windows of people's houses sometimes. Like all vigilante films, Saldana has a simple goal, despite the hitwoman baggage, and that is to eliminate the man and his posse for taking her family. Also predictable is the certain outcome that harm will befall her remaining family members left.

The film does a surprisingly successful job of dodging any bloodshed, the editing style cleverly avoiding explicit gore. This left me disappointed as I like red meat, but to accommodate those wanting a large audience release, the filmmakers make concessions and the result is very much a PG-13 action film. The creeps she is paid to contract-kill are pretty loathsome, even after briefly described to us, so their demises leave little grief, but her challenge to Ross to help find Luis' hideout, by threatening his family is certainly in bad taste and casts a sour stench over her character's heroism. Certainly, this film wants us to sympathize with her situation, but to threaten Ross' family is one step too far. The love interest of artist Danny Delanay (Michael Vartan) is one of the film's weaker aspects as it seems as if this is used only as a tool for the FBI to get closer to nabbing her, in essence giving away her location. It does provide a nifty escape for Cataleya who much torch her place, but in another storage area, she has an arsenal similar to watch you see on an army base; it's really funny all the machine guns she has to her disposal, including an armored van to carry them. Oh, and Cataleya has two pet bulldogs she feeds red meat to, with a special command to "Eat" which they do immediately upon her saying so…yep, you can imagine this is a set up for a big scene later. The fight scene between Cataleya and Marco is right out of a Bourne film, but her jailhouse sequence, where she gets in through a clever disguise, uses her ingenuity and small frame to get to a well-guarded mark, executes him, frames a US Marshall who is supposed to be keeping an eye on him, and flees, safely returning to her prison cell, is rather awesome. The plot isn't exactly noteworthy, and everything goes the way you expect.

Good Action scenes makes it watchable !!!

Author: Ketan Gupta from India
19 April 2012

Colombiana was a decent entertainer with stylish action sequences which is watchable at least once. Cateleye runs for her life after her parents are killed by local mafia. She takes refuge at her father's friend and vows to avenge her parent's killings Columbiana is directed by oliver and produced by Luc Besson. Generally , Luc Besson's films are more of style and less of substance and this is no different. Director has taken a simple story of blood and revenge. The film starts off well with few scenes but looses out the steam afterward. But thanks to the nice climax , the movie becomes watchable. Screenplay is loose along with the story which we've seen so many times in previous flicks. Action scenes are well executed but some of them are not easy to digest. Zoe Saldana is effective in her role as Cateleye. Rest of the star cast are just about OK Overall , an average flick with good old action parts. Watch it if you love stylish action movies. Average 2.5/5