IMDb > The Decoy Bride (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Surprisingly Good!

Author: Caity Bennet from United States
11 March 2012

My girlfriends and I saw this movie over the weekend, & I went into it fully expecting a pretty awful romantic comedy. I was happily mistaken. "The Decoy Bride" is exactly what a good romantic comedy should be--light, fresh, funny, and endearing. The plot itself wasn't anything you weren't going to be able to guess within the first five minutes, but it also didn't take itself too seriously. David Tennant and Kelly MacDonald were lovely, and the supporting cast was well-drawn and relatable. The script itself was very well-written; it was funny in the same way your best friend is funny, and it never became mean-spirited.

It's hard to find a re-watchable romantic comedy these days, and I'm glad I finally did. It definitely puts a smile on your face.

Well acted, Cut precisely, Great work all around

Author: tallndn from United States
4 February 2012

Yees, at first glance, the plot summary would appear worn and tired. It is not. You will be rewarded by digging deeper. What you find here is a sweet story, well told, and delicately woven into the tapestry of a farce which might be summed up as perfecting a "kinder, gentler Monty Python" genre. The acting draws you into the experience. It is superb. There is absolutely no "sleeze". Directing, cutting and assembly of elements are so far beyond excellent, it is difficult to review. A bonus for American audiences - the Scott and British accents and speech are lovely, soft and paced so as to be easily understood. The director has given us a wonderfully understated romantic farce/comedy that gradually opens our connection to the characters without forcing any conclusion. Decoy Bride is a "view-again" work of art.

Excellently written and acted comedy

Author: ssolow from Russia
2 February 2012

I thought this would be crap since the plot summery sounded like so many clichéd comedies that have been done to death. I was surprised to discover however a superbly acted and well written comedy that has nice location photography and moves at a brisk pace. What more can one ask for in these cinematically barren times? And last but not least the performance by Kelly Macdonald is as excellent as one has grown to expect from watching her in Boardwalk Empire. I hope she continues to make films since I believe she is one of the best comic actresses around. She would be really good opposite Hugh Grant for instance. However, I doubt that will ever happen. Anyhow, I recommend this film without reservation.

An unknown film with a great story, beautifully acted

Author: ceo-652-974360 from Frankfurt, Germany
6 February 2012

I found this film by chance while browsing through other titles and expected nothing of it or the acting until I'd read the two first reviews here. A great, unusual playful story set on a small Scots island, I think in the Outer Hebrides, with a quiet happiness, lots of healthy humour and a collection of low-key actors as extras, who fit perfectly into the wonderful scenery of Scotland at its best. They come very close to the originals who actually do live on these islands and maybe some did in fact come from the local community.

The referral to the island having a "haunted public toilet" reminded me of a female Italian tourist asking one of the three only residents on the island of Ailsa Craig in the Firth of Clyde, a lighthouse keeper, if there was a café nearby. She received the answer "just follow the track to the old quarry and it's next to Woolworths (department store). A low budget film, which with time should really become very successful. I was fascinated from start to finish.

Really enjoyable film

Author: hollyrust from Wales
16 March 2012

I normally hate rom-coms, but every now and then one catches my attention, and this was one of them.

It has an original idea, good actors, and breathtaking locations. With a unique take on the genre, it is very funny, and memorable. The relationships are also believable, and sweet, without being sickeningly so.

I actually bought this on DVD, making it one of the three rom-coms I own: Decoy Bride, Leap Year and Love Actually.

Such a crime that the film was limited release in the UK, but well well worth a watch, even if you have to spend the £9 on the DVD for the pleasure!

Great characters and location elevate this above the standard romantic comedy

Author: seven_siamese_cats from United States
16 March 2012

It is difficult, by their very nature, for Romantic Comedies to be excellent films. Those looking for a film 'destined to be a classic' probably will not approve of this one. But if you are looking for entertainment, 'The Decoy Bride' has potential.

As far as the story goes, it is pretty standard; you have the famous couple, looking to avoid the paparazzi stalking them, and the 3rd party who gets between them more or less accidentally. What elevates this film is the 'sweetness' of most everybody involved. The audience is not lead to root for or against one of the characters, as is often the case is such films; the characters all have their good points and bad points, and no one stands out as being eminently detestable.

Not only are the major characters likable and well acted, but the location is very impressive. The fictional island of Hegg is every bit as likable and attractive as the characters in the story. The inhabitants speak with a melodic accent which still is understandable, and have an attitude which speaks well for their day to day life. And their ability to profit from other people's foibles.

It has some good lines. For instance, in one scene the mother says "I don't trust that monk" and the daughter quips "They have been known to monkey around". There is a sense of incompleteness to the whole script though; there are rumors it was edited considerably to fit within budget. Still, everything which needs to be there for the story, and our enjoyment, is there.

This might be a good film for the family. There are no swear words, no gratuitous sex or nudity, or implications of rampant immorality.

In short, like most such films the events are highly unlikely and even impractical (like completely rebuilding a castle, probably without permission, in short order and only for a wedding), but it is well enough done that we don't care.

By the way, don't rush out when the credits at the end start. There is another interesting scene to come.

It was alright...

Author: Savannah Weymouth from United States
12 March 2012

I did not have high hopes for this movie, but was pleasantly surprised when I discovered it wasn't half bad! I honestly only saw it because David Tennant was in it... oh well. It was a cute romantic comedy and I did laugh quite a bit. But the biggest problem for me was that the plot summary is a little too cliché... and it went a little too fast. The whole movie took place in the time span of about a day. Not enough time for the main characters to really make the decision to throw away their whole life plans to be together. Whatever though, it was still a fun way to spend time! I would recommend this movie to any fan of romantic comedy.

Gentle, light rom-com

Author: wbewitched from United States
12 October 2012

This is a gentle romantic comedy that has humor and light but doesn't hit you over the head with it.

I suspect this movie is not rated higher generally because it does not have the laugh a minute ridiculousness of most modern day American rom-coms. It moves at the slow pace of the village were it takes place where time somewhat stands still and happiness is found in the familiar. The fact that it stars David Tennant is just icing on the cake; the supporting cast which includes Kelly MacDonald (Boardwalk Empire)and Alice Eve (Entourage)is just cherries on the icing on the cake.

A movie in the vein of Four Weddings and a Funeral and Notting Hill (with some lovely scenery from the Isle of Man), I highly recommended spending an evening with it.

Don't judge a book by it's cover.

Author: sylviakenl from Australia
20 May 2012

A warning of a spoiler is hardly necessary when the outcome is a foregone conclusion. The end result is obvious once all the actors are together on the island. This takes nothing away from the enjoyment of the movie, as it turns out. Set on an imaginary island called Hegg, a little dot amongst the Hebrides. Lara Tyler, who is one of THE most famous movie stars in the known world, is played by Alice Eve, but all she wants to do is marry her fiancé, writer James Arber, (David Tennant). Harassed to the point of distraction by all the paparazzi, especially by Marco Ballani (Federico Castelluccio), who is like a rabid dog with his obsession for Lara, they escape to the tiny Scottish island of Hegg, so they can marry in peace. However when the paparazzi tracks them down, They in fact receive a tip-off, and with the locals smelling easy money, Lara, suffering from paparazzi paranoia, becomes upset and runs off & hides. In total desperation, her management team, run by Steve Korbitz (Michael Urie), decide to stage a fake wedding, hoping the paparazzi will fall for their little trick and leave the island. Local girl Katie (Kelly MacDonald), who is back from the mainland nursing a broken heart, is recruited to pretend to be Lara. But is James Arber convinced that Lara is his one true love? Very predictable but also very funny with some poignant moments. It may have lacked the polish of a movie like 'Hook', but with a budget 67 & a half million less than 'Hook', I Think they did a good job. It should have done better than it did at the box office but I'm sure it lacked a credible PR team. I never heard of it until earlier this year, 2012, and only then because my daughter had brought the movie home. I think it will do better as time goes by but I don't think they will recoup their costs. It's a shame.

Quiet, fun, quirky, and very romantic

Author: kingd702 from United States
20 September 2013

For those reviewers who did not like this charming romantic comedy, I could not disagree more. The subtleties and quiet charm of this movie are excellent. It is quiet, fun, quirky and very romantic. I really enjoyed Kelly Macdonald's performance as well as David Tennant. Their banter was priceless. I believe one of the reasons this film works for me is the very real fact that overcoming conflict is what helps create solid relationships. No, it is not a perfect movie… But I can overlook its weaknesses because it's just strengths are so evident. If you like subtlety and charm, give this film a try. If you are like me, you will watch it multiple times.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]