IMDb > "Law & Order: LA" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Law & Order: Los Angeles"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Law & Order: LA" More at IMDbPro »"Law & Order: Los Angeles" (original title)

Give this 'Law" a chance

Author: Carl Foley from United States
6 October 2010

I'vde noticed most reviews here are not kind. They whine about no theme song or opening credits. They complain about bad chemistry & story and say its just another Hollywood show. They say that this is not real L&O. I say shame on them. Yes, the opening dialouge is gone and I miss it but it doesn't ruin the show. Yes..., the theme is gone, but I actually love how they play the most recognizable notes of the song in a ghostly manner as the new logo comes onto screen. As for the stories, there's only one to judge so far but I liked it. Ya, it had the Hopllywood to it, but the producers have said not every episode will be Hollywood focused like this weeks. As for the actors, they are great! The detectives have great chemistry and the same is said for the DA's. To sum this up: The show is well written, acted, and laid out. I hope that this show does run for many years and doesn't suffer the fate of the equally good Law & Order: Trial By Jury. Yes, it's never going to replace the mother ship that NBC shouldn't of canceled (I cried when they did), but I feel as time goes on the show which has started out great will get better and better. I hope everyone else will give the show a chance. From just one episode I have to agree with USA Today's assessment when they said "What you get from LA is a show that's as solid and reliable as a well-built sedan. You know, the kind that keeps running for 20 years."

Give it a chance

Author: Angela Owar from United States
4 November 2010

I have to admit, the 1st episode left something to be desired, but I have stuck with it and now enjoy the show -- give it a few episodes, get to know the characters, and it will be another L&O you will enjoy. The detectives have their own quirkiness that is enjoyable. I did like the episode where the one detective's wife was the arresting officer on a case that involved a woman that lost her kids to a fire -- where she said the woman admitted it -- and it was not true. I do like the setting of Los Angeles, because it does leave open many ideas for shows. Furthermore, the L&O seems to get back to the basics, where you see the police part, as well as the court room part -- whereas some recent L&O focus more on the police work nowadays.

Not a cookie cutter of the others! I like it!!!!

Author: zaenkney from United States
7 October 2010

Skeet Ulrich and Alfred Molina achieved a rather potent premier in "Law and Order: Los Angeles". The first episode provided young, hot, Hollywood actors, burglaries of the rich and famous, murders and betrayal. There was bright sunlight in the daytime and night-lights after dark. Its a new "Law and Order" and I like it. Alfred Molina and Terrance Howard will take turns as Asst. D.A.s in different episodes. While I'm not sure how that will flow, I enjoy both actors and look forward to seeing how this plays out. Ulrich does his character justice and, so far, is not a carbon copy of other "Law and Order" copsters. I hope, he maintains his own distinct persona, as D'Onofrio certainly did. It never hurts to be exclusive, especially in a herd. I believe "Law and Order: Los Angeles" has the potential to be extra-Order-nary. Sorry, couldn't help myself. Watch it, you could like it! 10/07/2010

New Re-Tooled L&O: LA Regains lost Stature

Author: Tommy from Boston, MA
1 May 2011

Having suffered through the first half of the first season of L&O: LA, and now watching the re-imagined second half of the same season, I'm pleasantly surprised they actually pulled it off. That is, it's becoming more like the original L&O and not some sunny disposition on life in LaLa land and rampant medical marijuana.

They are also scouting out and actually using more locations as they did in N.Y. so you don't feel confined to the same old places or inside a studio's back lot. In the last episode, I counted about 15 non-studio locations which really upped the ante as far as quality of story and realism of plot.

I also noticed they brought in some veteran screenwriters from the recently canceled L&O and are starting to "rip from the headlines" more. Not to mention adding the beautiful Alana De La Garza to the ADA's office (they never did explain her transplantation to L.A. but that's par for the course with this franchise). We just need the extraordinary writer Rene Balcer to pen a few scripts and we're halfway home.

As for Alana, they desperately need to give her more lines. She's not just a pretty face but a very good actress. She was always one to get up in someone's face or talk back to some pushy witness or suspect (or cop!).

A guest visit from Linus Roache or Lupo or Anderson or Epatha would be gimmicky but a lot of fun. Who cares? It's T.V. Does anyone really believe a murder trial starts and ends in less than a month? Real murder cases take years. But on T.V. you have to speed things up or you end up with a show like Murder One or viewers changing the channel. Too bad they can't find an L&O franchise for Lupo.

The East Pasadena episode is a perfect example of "headline ripping" that actually happened to one Calif. principality, then utilizing another incident that actually happened in Florida where a man went to a city council meeting waving a gun and finally shot himself, and then tying it all together with a murder mystery.

I'm especially glad to see Mr. Ulrich gone (shot! killed! never to return!) and Molina taking his place. Whilst Ulrich is an O.K. actor, half the time his eyes were bloodshot and he looked very tired and fatigued. I don't think the pace of T.V. sits well with his move schedule metabolism.

Molina is a veteran actor and it shows. He is literally the anchor for the show now. Let's hope he doesn't depart prematurely. And they need a prominent out gay character other than a shrink like on SVU.

And Corey Stoll looks so much better without the 'stache it's amazing. He'll be one of People magazine's hottest men of the year in no time (barring the show's cancellation). Having played second fiddle in so many shows, it's about time he was recognized for his talent.

Rachel Ticotin, who still looks great since Total Recall, makes a tough but charming Lieutenant. Still haven't figured out the role of the DA played ephemerally by Peter Coyote. He's simply not memorable and not sure what his function is other than to bark at his subordinates.

With all the above being said, I'm very excited about the rest of the season and hope it continues to deliver above-excellent scripts and performances to make up for the horrible first half of the year. Worst…Episodes…Ever… I doubt L&O: LA will have the staying power of the original L&O, and NBC (now owned by Kabletown), is infamous for putting garbage on T.V. or doubling-up on what they consider a good thing (read: the Today show went from 2 hours to 4 to 5 to ?). Maybe Katie Couric can do the sixth and seventh hours! I'd like to see more episodes about the intricacies of Calif. law and business practices as they've done in a few episodes and on the original L&O. I always thought New York was a nanny state but Calif. makes N.Y. look like their babysitter's dead (don't tell Mom or Bloomberg!). I can now understand why so many businesses are fleeing CA for points East, and why people are moving to other states where the cost of living isn't so crippling.

So if you gave up on the show, give it another shot. I don't believe you'll be disappointed and like me will look forward to next week's episode. Who knows, maybe they'll shoot a couple of episodes during California's rainy season for a change of outdoor atmosphere. Flooding, rampage, riots, and of course, a floater.

MUCH better

Author: hotseatotsie from United States
26 April 2011

At first I was sad to see Skeet Ulrich go, but the new lineup is working much better. It's grittier, more suspenseful, more like real L&O should be. I like the switchup of Alfred Molina's character, it adds some depth to the story. The UK Version is still my favorite now that the original is off the air, but I plan on hanging in there with this one. They took the ratings and feedback seriously and made changes. I'm not sure why Skeet was apparently part of the problem, I thought he was good and there was good chemistry with his partner, but the new mix works also. We don't see much of the Lieutenant anymore either. But I'll take any chance to look at Terrence Howard on a weekly basis!

Good show confused about how episodes were shown

Author: jenlove-184-20961 from United Kingdom
12 October 2011

I enjoyed this show I do like seeing new characters gelling together, the one main point that really let this show down is the fact that Skeet died half way though and then appeared back about 5 episodes later which really frustrates me as I like to see how the characters develop together as the show progresses and there was no way this could happen. I watched it on Hallmark channel and before every episode they said showing it in the order it was shown in the US. I don't care just get it right!!!!!!! I did like seeing Decker wish he was in it more and was getting a bit confused who was what rank within the DA's team but I suppose the more series there are the more I can get used to it. It was quite funny to see the lady from the Scary Movie films Regina Hall I was so expecting to see her crack a joke, run from a room screaming or kill someone.

Superb television

Author: kayaker36 from Queens, NY
29 January 2011

Skeet Ulrich and Corey Stoll, two relatively unknown actors, make an intriguingly contrasting pair--one a handsome young family man with a quick mind and a nose for the hidden truth, the other older, single (possibly gay?), completely bald and endlessly patient, and bringing a profound knowledge of human nature to crime solving.

Here is a wealth of original ideas such as subtitling each episode with an area of Greater LA, which Dick Wolf knows intimately. The whole idea is to spotlight the differences between Los Angeles, a new city shaped by and built to suit the automobile, and centuries-old New York, a product of the age of sail.

There are some lyrical camera shots, almost elegiac, of the canyons and vistas of Los Angeles, of its suburbs-in-search-of-a-city lifestyle, of its public beaches, its palatial beachfront homes and its slums. Best of all is its exploration of human types, so varied yet so...well, so LA.

Alfred Molina in a recurring role as a trial prosecutor, is part Englishman, part Spaniard, he has no non-European ancestry at all. Yet he is believable as a boy of humble Latino origins who has risen high in public service. There are exciting guest stars, original yet believable plots with the "ripped from the headlines" aspect remaining an L&O trademark.

If this show fails it will be because of its harshly realistic view of gender. The first two episodes feature women who have killed without legal justification. There are other repugnant acts committed by women. L&O - SVU, this ain't!

What it is is a crime show with scripts that other great chronicler of Los Angeles Raymond Chandler might have written.

Nothing Law and Order About It

Author: SamanthaGilbert-1 from United States
1 October 2010

Bad, bad, bad! There was absolutely nothing "Law & Order" about this show. One reason many people love the Law & Order television shows is because of the artistic cinematography that is unique to them, but the way in which this TV show has been shot was anything but the great cinematography we are accustomed to. The theme music had been altered so much and in a annoying, techno-music fashion, that if I had not read the title or heard the iconic "doink doink" sound, I would have thought this was a TV show crated by pure amateurs. The fact that it wasn't created by amateurs makes it all the more disappointing. Even the story line made it seem as though Law & Order needed to fit in every headline in the gossip section it has missed out on in the past few months, in order to catch up, and thus leaving a mumble jumble of an episode. Sadly NBC has managed to shoot themselves in the foot by getting rid of a great show and putting in its place a big heap of steaming garbage.

Routine, humdrum, monotonous

Author: Dr Jacques COULARDEAU from Olliergues, France
26 June 2017

This Californian version of this series did not last long. It is true Los Angeles is a lot less spectacular than New York, Miami or Las Vegas, or even Washington DC. I am told that Sacramento is also quite attractive.

The stories are interesting always a little bit easy. Simple very direct crime stories and concentration on the prosecution and attorney's vision of things. It will not surprise Americans, but it will surprise even flabbergast anyone from another judicial system. To avoid as many court cases as possible deals are encouraged. Plead guilty for leniency and be a witness against other culprits to get a deal and total or partial immunity. Where is justice?

That explains some cases of self-justice: take justice in your own hands and get your vengeance performed in the name of self-defense. At least that is sustainable: you get the fair result you expect and it encourages the process to go on forever. You add to that the fact that there are more crimes in Los Angeles than in New York and you have the key to the lackluster series. Exceptional people in Los Angeles are the innocent and law abiding people. All the others are all criminals, crooked individuals and many other things. Too much concentration on hookers and other characters of this night time orgasmic life tied up to drugs makes it slightly humdrum.

The cases are just interesting but never really fascinating and the procedure is always sketchy. Do they ever read the Miranda rights to the people they arrest? Not once. Slightly more interesting about court procedure, but still quite sketchy.

That's probably why it was not stillborn but it died of Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). There is a severe competition on this market of thrillers and detective or police cases. Even J.K. Rowling writes some, under a male name though: she must be ashamed of her stooping so low to conquer an audience, when she had one anyway with Harry Potter.

Dr. Jacques COULARDEAU

Insults intelligence of viewers

Author: johnjag-21-794553 from Canada
17 December 2014

The series starts out well. There are slight differences in the Law & Order formula. Some aspects of the detectives personal lives are shown. It also has a different feel. It is bloodier. Some of the characters are less likable, such as DA Hardin, Peter Coyote in an excellent performance.

The series has one big problem. The producers take the audience for idiots. In episode 9, detective Winters, played by Skeet Ulrich, is murdered. And in a way that is impossible to rewrite later as corpse misidentified or some other plot trick. Also deputy DA Morales, Alfred Molina, is demoted back to being detective Morales. Yet in episode 17 Winters magically is back, no explanation! And further in episode 18 Winters is still there and Morales is now deputy DA again. Again there is no explanation. Not even a lame attempt by putting up one of those ubiquitous Law & Order text screens with "one year ago".

I stopped watching the show at that point. Save yourself frustration, do not bother starting this show. If not for the good quality of the first 16 episodes I would have given this show just a 1 out of 10.