IMDb > Wanderlust (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wanderlust

Wanderlust More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Confused at the negative reviews.....

Author: Ines Witherspoon from United Kingdom
30 January 2013

I have watched this film twice now and off the back of the second viewing thought I would see what others thought of it. I was surprised and increasingly confused as I read one negative review after another. My confusion grew to frustration as I read comments like "the only nudity is old, unattractive people" and "the characters aren't believable". I feel these people have completely missed the point! First of all, if you want to see attractive people naked then may I politely suggest that romantic comedy is the wrong genre for you, I believe you'd get what you want in the 'adult' category - it's certainly bizarre and irrelevant to give this film a negative review because you don't get to see Jennifer Aniston in the buff!

Secondly,regarding the characters and all the oh-so-serious reviewers commenting on the silliness and irreverence of the plot and the character development, this is the sort of film that doesn't need to develop the characters or have a deep plot, it wouldn't work as well if it did actually. It's a light-hearted, fun movie. And it works. In my opinion it actually works beautifully, the whole film has a great vibe to it and certainly had me thinking that I might enjoy a brief dalliance on a commune! It's witty, amusing, warm and titillating at times, not for what it does show but for what it suggests about the lifestyle the couple find themselves in.

Take this film at face value and suspend your disbelief, take off your critic hat and just enjoy!

Hilarious is you remember the late 1960's

Author: Susan Stewart from Canada
5 March 2013

If you remember the late 1960's this movie is really funny. I laughed all the way through and this is unusual for me. To find a really funny, intelligent comedy is rare and very welcome.

There are some intense and somewhat "uncomfortable" moments but, to me, they were believable and gave the film some depth. I loved the way the characters dropped their facades in the final scenes - now that's a real "truth-telling circle".

The juxtaposition of different cultures and personalities was written brilliantly. I expect that sociologists will have a blast with this film.

I rented this, despite the low rating, because of Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd whom I consider to be wonderful comedic actors. It's great to see them together again.

Horrid!

Author: jhartman1-2 from United States
3 September 2012

This film was painful to watch!

Even the adorable Jennifer Aniston could not make this movie watchable.

There was nothing but a couple giggles due to a crazy scene or word but it was torture!

Other than the multiple shots of penises and floppy breasts by unknown actors and actresses there was nothing of note.

Boring from start to finish, the film just kept dragging and dragging on.

I expected something of worth but never got it. The few outtakes at the end of the film were the only thing worth watching so don't forget to watch those.

I truly enjoyed this

Author: Ary Monteiro from Sao Paulo, Brazil
4 August 2013

I can see why this is getting so much hate, it's definitely a tad vulgar and will offend the most sensitive, but hell i'd be lying if i don't say i laughed quite consistently.

The tale of a new york couple that struggles with money and failure and finds themselves in a small hippie commune it's simple but heartfelt, Paul and Jennifer are quite good in this and move from serious to awkward with ease, being in my late 30's i could relate with their dilemma since i'm living through a similar f****d up system and the desire to leave everything behind.

It's a comedy for adults so i didn't mind the more uncomfortable bits, there's a lot of nudity (sorry, no Paul or Jen, only ugly folks), I can't recommend it without reservations but I've had a good time.

Flawed but funny, edgy comedy

Author: guyau-399-68372 from US
17 June 2012

Not the usual rom-com formula you'd expect from the leads, which might explain the poor reviews here. This starts with great promise as a satire of American society - epitomized by the wonderfully crass, materialistic brother - with some great laugh-out loud moments as the American dream goes wrong for Judd and Aniston. The humour is often off-beat and at times anarchic, such as when the horse appears in the couple's doorless room at the commune. Ultimately though, it just wants to poke fun at everyone and loses the plot, ending up as the formulaic rom-com it promised not to be. You really get the feeling this is an intelligent script put through the studio wringer. Judd's mirror scene is a weird low point, proving that improvisational riffing is often just a self-indulgent waste of screen time. If full-frontal male nudity (one of the commune's main characters is a perpetual nudist) and off-beat attempts at satire offend, you won't like this, but there are good laughs to outweigh the flaws.

10 Minutes of Funny - ** Definitely Not For Children **

Author: TheTruthDoor from Austin, Texas
6 March 2012

This movie has about 10 minutes of actual laughter, the rest is just mediocre adult dialog and situations. In typical feminist controlled Hollywood fashion, you get to see guys naked, but you don't get to see any attractive females nude, including Jennifer Aniston. The only females that are nude are in a group of old nudists running in slow motion close to the end of the film, I promise you don't want to see this part.

I question the very positive reviews posted here, I am starting to think that Hollywood studios have paid employees that post positive reviews of turkey movies on IMDb, and other sites. This is definitely NOT a great movie.

Please note that this is not a movie for children. You get shown a man in FULL nudity, both front and back, in the first 10 minutes of the film and other adult situations and visuals throughout.

QUICK SUMMARY: Wait until this movie comes out on DVD, and watch it when the kids have gone to bed.

My face hurts!

Author: the guy on the couch (themoviecouch.blogspot.com) from United States
19 August 2012

What a laugh riot! I can't believe this movie slipped by me in theaters, but I'm glad we put it on our Netflix queue. "Wanderlust" brings together some of my favorite people in comedy. Written and directed by alums of the MTV comedy show "The State" (David Wain and Ken Marino), the movie features several of the old "The State" actors as well as Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston. On top of all that, Judd Apatow produces. With a pedigree like that, you may expect something hilarious, and you would be right!

Rudd and Aniston play George and Linda, an attractive pair of New Yorkers who have just purchased a tiny, expensive West Village apartment when their economic world collapses. Unemployed and facing homelessness, they head to Georgia so George can work for his hilariously boorish brother (Ken Marino). Along the way they accidentally spend the night at a hippie commune and find the experience surprisingly liberating. Working and living with George's brother turns out to be so unbearable that the pair flee back to the commune to give "intentional community" a try.

Someone needs to come up with some kind of facial yoga I can do before watching a movie like this, because "Wanderlust" made me smile and laugh until my face hurt. From the very first scene, Rudd and Aniston knock the ball right out of the park, and every new character who walks across the screen lights it up. Everyone is so good that I really can't mention all the great comedic performances, although Justin Theroux does deserve mention for his over-the-top portrayal of hippie alpha-male Seth. They also brought in Alan Alda to play the senile commune founder and add a touch of class. I suppose if I had any criticism it would be that most of the hippie jokes are pretty well- worn. The movie is fairly predictable, but big deal, they are all predictable once you've seen enough of them. When the story is this funny and told this joyously, it doesn't matter.

Just. Watch. It!

Uncomfortable to watch, Ridiculous and WEIRD!!!!

Author: Paul Anthony from United Kingdom
2 July 2012

Usually love comedies and don't mind some bad language etc but way too much crude language, nudity and crap jokes. Thought it looked OK at the very start but never got going at all. Not keen on Paul Rudd at the best of times but bad acting from him, Jennifer Aniston was not as good as usual.

Delt really uncomfortable to watch with my wife and made us cringe with bad plots and attempts at being funny! I just wanted to switch it off after 20 minutes but gave it the benefit of the doubt,It got worse as it went on Im afraid.

Overacting to the Max and just very crass.

Weirdest movie I've seen in sometime. not sure what they were thinking!

Loved it and I really laughed but may not be for everyone

Author: amshotwell from East Coast
16 January 2013

I watched this not knowing anything about it and had no preconceived ideas of what it would be about and I cracked up the whole time. It has a lot of my favorite comic actors in it. I am pretty picky really and did find some of it rather predictable but did not mind that but I found some things to be not predictable too. Full frontal male nudity (spoiler perhaps not sure) is a bit jarring at first but it makes the movie. I guess if you have ever lived with or been around a group of people like this it makes it a little more funny. I say watch but don't expect too much and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised. Not for everyone. Lots of subtle humor that I found great. It think the characters in this movie make you uncomfortable in a lot of scenes on purpose. The Sister in law was my favorite and the best character, her acting is superb!

The funniest movie since Bridesmaids.

Author: Christian_Dimartino from United States
25 July 2012

You may not know a lot about writer/director/actor David Wain, or even know who he is, but I will tell you that he is an underrated talent. He doesn't do much, but he used to have a short-lived sitcom called Stella, which I thought was hilarious, and he also directed Role Models and A Wet Hot American Summer. his latest film, Wanderlust, was in and out of theatres very quickly, which is a shame, because it's the funniest movie since Bridesmaids.

Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston play a New york couple who basically lose everything. So on their way to visit Rudd's brother, they end up staying at a camp called Elysium, which is a strange hippie inn that believes in free love, and basically doing nothing and being worry free. Once the couple decides to stay there, they both are put in a position that could tear them apart.

The film has a weird cast of characters that include Alan Alda as the owner of Elysium, Justin Theroux as the bizarre leader, Malin Ackerman as his girlfriend, sort of, and Ken Marino, who co-wrote the script, as Rudd's bizarre brother, but I would hate to give any more away, because everyone is just too funny here.

There is probably a joke every thirty seconds, whether funny, hilarious, or just plain disgusting, and everyone who is given the joke nails it. I was really hoping that its premise wouldn't grow tired, but thank goodness it doesn't. There is no hit-or-miss jokes here, all simply funny.

There are also plenty of unforgettable moments to, such as when Rudd's character is trying to get jazzed up for sex... the actors know it's funny, and it's amazing they can pull straight faces.There is no single great performance here, everyone is hilarious, and it's not fair that The Hangover Part II can make millions and millions of dollars over something that is genuinely funny. This is one of the best movies of the year so far.

A-