IMDb > Wanderlust (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wanderlust

Wanderlust More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Hippies and Yuppies--both realistic

Author: Rodenmm from United States
16 November 2012

The most hilarious scenes in this movie occur when the writers take everything about a character that seems stereotyped and generalized and go with it. I have lived in both worlds and I know real, breathing people a lot like the characters who may seem "over the top" to most vanilla reviewers. That's what makes it so wonderful to me. Of course there is the occasional stretch for Hollywood's sake, but all in all, I don't see it as outlandish and utterly impossible to believe throughout. I could practically name hippies of Elysium after college friends and although the brother's family in Atlanta are also painted as the end-of- spectrum for their tight-ass ways, they could just be a funnier version of people I've know.

good lazy Sunday movie

Author: cjaii714 from Indiana
2 October 2012

I have read a lot of bad reviews on this movie, and it really seems that most of them were expecting too much and watched with a closed mind. Maybe they were just too young to enjoy the idea behind it.

I started laughing right at the beginning and was still laughing at the end. Rudd and Aniston are good, as they usually are. And Alda is great. The story isn't any big mystery with some surprise ending, it's just a cute story. There is some vulgar comedy and some nudity, but is is intended for adults. All in all, if you were born in the 60's or 70's you will probably enjoy this movie and most of us just watch a movie once and this one is worth watching one time.

Not for kids... but very funny

Author: Roberta Reppy from Italy
21 September 2012

I watched this movie and I don't understand why it was so criticized. Yeah, there's a rude language in some scenes and you can see even a penis but, hey, it's a really funny comedy if you're not the kind of person that be offended by the view of a penis on the screen. This is not a movie for kids, it's a comedy for adults and this is why they used this kind of language and images. They could be inappropriate for the real life, but they're absolutely in for this movie and its story. There's not much of a story indeed. The little story was the pretest to make the two city guys meet with the community. We have this couple confronting with this totally new life style. There are some scenes less funny than others, but I laughed for mostly the entire movie. I'm not the kind of person that use a bad language in life but I wasn't scandalized by this movie. If you are sensible to bad language, maybe this is not a movie for you, but if you don't ave this kind of problem, it could be a great comedy. Rudd is not one of the most famous actors in the world, but it's was great in this movie, I loved it. The mirror scene was so funny, and it was an improvisation. Even Aniston was very nice. I recommend this movie to all the people that want only to have some fun seeing what happen to city people meeting a life style without doors, privacy, stress and where the free love rule.

A couple is forced to choose between living under the rules of the open community they love, and forgo their materialistic ways, or, resort back to their normal lives.

Author: kspeis from United States
7 September 2012

Wanderlust is a comedic suspense film with a star-studded cast. Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd play a married couple in New York City, George and Linda, who are searching for happiness in all the wrong places. George is a cynical businessman at a large company who hates his job but works hard to provide for his frivolous wife. Linda is a fun-loving woman who changes her occupation more than her clothes. She describes herself as an entrepreneur who has yet to find her niche. When he gets laid off from his well-paying job and HBO declines her depressing penguin documentary, they are forced to move out of their newly purchased "micro loft" to go live with his wealthy, crude, brother in Georgia. A chain of events leads them to a hippy-commune-in-denial, Elysium. After the couple spends some time in the confinements of his tormenting brothers house, and then in the warm community Elysium provided they come to a hard decision. They are forced to choose between living under the rules of the open community they love, and forgo their materialistic ways, or, resort back to their normal lives.

I haven't seen anything like Wanderlust. To me, the plot and levity does not match any other comedy in the past decade. However, the director, David Wain, has written and directed a plethora of movies that are similar such as The Ten and Role Models which both have similar humor and each feature Paul Rudd. I appreciate the comedy brought to light through Elysium. They light-heartedly made fun of how hippies or commies act in certain situations. They also added in all the working parts of a stereotypical commune such as: nudity, marijuana, hallucinogens, free love, and peace to animals and nature. These elements added to the humor, and surprised the audience in every scene, taking each joke to the edge of being too far. Paul Rudd does improve throughout the movie, which brought out even more laughs from the audience. At the same time they made fun of the typical hot-headed rich guy through George's extremely crude brother, Rick, played by Ken Marino, who made his fortune in the port-a-potty business. I could relate to the way materialistic wants pulls us away from what is truly important in life. After watching this movie it made me want to be a part of a commune because of the way everyone got along and how caring everyone is for each other. The other underlying theme in this film is that the sense of community can easily be destroyed when everyone is competing to have the nicer house, clothes, car, and etcetera. When Wanderlust came out in February I was convinced that Jennifer Aniston's relationship with co-star, Justin Theroux, was a publicity stunt. Now that the two are engaged it is amusing to watch their chemistry in this film and see why his brilliant comedic acting grabbed her attention.

A mediocre, but not boring, comedy

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
22 August 2012

Inside the avalanche of vulgar and "post-modern" (or whatever they are) comedies inspired or produced by Judd Apatow, Role Models was one of my favorite ones, because I didn't only find it funny, but also honest in the interaction between its characters and in the structure from its narrative (besides, it made a tribute to the music band Kiss, something which always helps). Since then, director David Wain preferred to focus himself on TV (including the excellent "micro-series" Children's Hospital); and this year, he went back to cinema with Wanderlust, which despite being moderately entertaining, I found it mediocre, and much less funny and sincere than Role Models.

I found Wanderlust too frivolous and convenient, when it could have taken advantage of th opportunity to examine (with humor) the pros and cons of the hippie rebirth, whose proposal of a simple and community life evokes the ideas from the "social revolutionaries" of the 60's. Unfortunately, co-screenwriters Wain and Ken Marino preferred to stay on a much simpler level, with obvious and superficial jokes which don't have the endorsement of a real message behind the humor. Sure, it was easier to put naked men in uncomfortable situations, and expect the audience to find that automatically funny.

The moments in which Wanderlust made me moderately laugh didn't come from the scenes the film considered funnier (for example, the forced appearances of the novelist/oenologist/nudist, or the classic "freak-out" from a serious and repressed person who accidentally took hallucinogenic drugs), but from small moments of personal revelation. Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston bring charisma to the leading roles, but the screenplay doesn't give them very substantial material to work with. The actors who stand out during the previously mentioned moments of personal revelation are Marino, Michaela Watkins, Kathryn Hahn, Malin Akerman and Jessica St. Clair.

So, I think I can give Wanderlust a slight recommendation, even though it didn't leave me very satisfied, mainly because I found the humor excessively easy and predictable. Something I didn't like very much either was that, near the ending, Wain and Marino tried to add artificial drama through external and internal factors, like if they realised the fact that there isn't a concrete story too late, but only a chain of humorous sketches with the general subject of "natural life vs. civilization". Nevertheless, I have to say that Wanderlust managed to keep me moderately entertained despite my various complaints against it.

And the answer is NO.. you don't see them.

Author: Anton Thomas from New Zealand
24 July 2012

I think we all know what I mean, about a year out from the release there were reports Aniston was going to bare her chest for once.. I will save you the 98 minutes of Anticipation. It doesn't happen. Not sure if that's a spoiler alert or not.. but I will tick the box.

I thought the movie was okay at best. It did have some funny parts. I thought Paul Rudd was funny as usual and he definitely made the movie. I thought Justin whatshisface was trying to be Will Forte.. seriously, they should have cast him instead. Aniston was beautiful as always.. Seriously Brad Pitt what were you thinking??

Give it a watch. Nothing too great, but it's not a dogs breakfast.

Straight to the point,

Tony from NZ

A 2nd rate attempt at a "Lost In America" update, minus the consistent humor

Author: Twins65 from Lindenhurst, IL
5 October 2012

WANDERLUST had potential, as I laughed several times in the beginning until they got to the commune. Rudd and Aniston make a believable husband and wife team as an upwardly mobile Manhattan couple that ultimately wasn't really on the way up. And the scenes driving south and at his brother's place sure aped the Albert Brooks' mid-80's masterpiece I referenced in my title line, up to and including a version of the "My legs are tired, let's live here" line which caused them to pull over.

Unfortunately, they pulled over at the Elysium commune, where the movie vibe was just way more weird than funny. I still laughed a few more times thanks to Rudd, as he's probably one of my favorite actors these days, both when he's playing the straight man off comedy or slinging zingers off the absurd (like a giant prosthetic dick in his face or taking a dump with company). But there just wasn't enough "comedy" to sustain WANDERLUST, and I can see why it ultimately failed to find an audience at the multiplexes. I really doubt it will find one on DVD either.

I guess what I'm really saying is to go ahead and watch "Lost In America" again, and take a pass on this one.

A Lazy, Disappointing Comedy of Hippie Clichés

Author: brando647 from Spring Hill, FL
2 October 2012

There wasn't a whole lot of advertising for WANDERLUST when it was making it's way to theaters and it sort of snuck in under the radar. This confused me at the time because Paul Rudd is a bankable leading comic actor, Jennifer Aniston has a baffling audience appeal, and director David Wain was responsible for the well-received ROLE MODELS (again, with Rudd) in 2008. So why was this movie receiving so little media attention? I was determined to see it regardless because the premise was something that struck a chord with me and I had faith in the filmmakers. So when I finally saw the movie, I understood it all: the movie was overlooked because it fails. It's not a horrible movie. It has a handful of chuckles somewhere in there but, as a whole, it's almost painful to watch. The movie follows George and Linda Gergenblatt (Rudd and Aniston), a Manhattan couple who are forced from their big city life when George loses his job. En route to Atlanta to receive help from George's obnoxious brother Rick, George and Linda stop for a night at the Elysium Bed & Breakfast, an intentional community of hippies living together on a farm under the guidance of Seth (Justin Theroux). George and Linda are smitten with their freedom and the overwhelming sense of peace emanating from these open-minded, loving people and opt to give commune life a chance. But when Elysium's free-wheeling ways begin to weigh on George, it might become the final death blow for his marriage.

There are just so many misfires in this movie that I didn't anticipate. I had a lot of hope for the cast of the movie, as Elysium was populated with talented comedians, both improv and tradition: Joe Lo Truglio, Jordan Peele, Kerri Kenney, and even Alan Alda. I still consider Paul Rudd one of the funniest straight-men in modern comedies (despite WANDERLUST) and I was even willing to give Jennifer Aniston the benefit of the doubt after her turn in last year's HORRIBLE BOSSES. Justin Theroux was a big selling point for me, as I know he had a hand in writing one of my favorite comedies (TROPIC THUNDER) and he was one of the few high points in an otherwise disappointing YOUR HIGHNESS. I can tell everyone on set was giving their role everything they had, and I feel like a lot of the blame for why this movie flopped so bad lies with the writers and director. It looks to me as if David Wain relies a little too heavily on improvising on set and doesn't know when to cut a camera. I've seen him in behind the scenes footage and he obviously has a very awkward sense of humor that can work but maybe in smaller doses. And then there's Ken Marino. Marino wrote the screenplay with Wain, and he also has a role in the movie as George's brother Rick. I'm hoping Marino is no where near as obnoxious a person as his character, but if his improvised bits are any indication he has a harder time knowing when to reel it in than Wain.

This leads to my biggest complaint with the movie: it just doesn't know when to end a joke. There are too many moments in the movie where the humor from a scene comes and goes but the movie refuses to move on. The biggest example (and the one you'll see most hated on in the forums for this movie) is when George is trying to hype himself up to seduce Eva (Malin Akerman). He stands in front of a bathroom mirror trying out his dirty talk in all manner of voices and facial contortions. What first starts as a chuckle (because it was never too funny to begin with) quickly turns to groans and then pleading for the story to move on. Which it does. To a scene where he is in Eva's bedroom doing the whole thing over again, except now Eva is present to share in the awkward disgust. This was the sequence in the movie where I officially gave up trying to care. It was hard enough from the start because so many of the characters are just so abrasive and unlikable with the exception of poor George. George is the only "normal" person here. It's as if he's fallen into some bizarre alternate universe where people have forgotten how to act like…I don't know…people. His wife Linda is an ungrateful shrew from the beginning, giving George a hard time when he loses his job (which wasn't his fault) while pursuing her own umpteenth failed career attempt. The residents of Elysium, for the most part, are just horrible people. Judgmental, rude, and unforgiving…and these are supposed to be hippies. Some of their shtick is funny, particularly Peele and Lo Truglio's characters.

On top of everything, the script is lazy. It relies on clichés for most of the laughs: the average man's reaction to casual nudity, pot smoking and guitar playing hippies, a bizarre, over-the-top connection to nature and human emotion. There is no real characterization to most of the inhabitants. It's just a bunch of surface jokes about the common perception of hippies with some naked old people thrown in for good measure. The final result is a movie that might elicit a few laughs out of you, but more than likely will have you wishing the 98 minute run-time didn't feel twice as long and feeling sorry for poor George Gergenblatt.

Just a nasty, offbeat comedy that is just a bit too dirty to be good.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
4 July 2012

You will like this movie if you like totally irreverent humor and don't mind lots of bad language, lots of nudity, and lots of open discussion of sex acts and body functions. If you don't care for that sort of stuff in a movie then definitely skip this one.

For me it was too much, but in a strange sort of way I enjoyed most of it. I can't give it a very good rating, nor would I recommend it to any friends, but I did enjoy the quirky path it takes.

Paul Rudd is ambitious George Gergenblatt and his wife is Jennifer Aniston as ambitious Linda Gergenblatt. They just bought a small efficiency in Manhattan, a "micro loft", then the next day his company dissolves while HBO rejects her latest film project. So they hit the road, off to Atlanta where George's brother lives, but stop one night at a B&B that is actually a commune of hippies. When his psycho brother turns out to be a bad idea, they retreat to the commune and decide to try out that life. It seems so much more relaxed than the rat race of New York.

So the movie is really about their adventures in the commune, chock full of quirky characters. Every last one of them, including the founder from 1971, Alan Alda as Carvin, getting around in a motorized wheelchair. Perhaps the best is Justin Theroux as Seth, musician and philosopher, who ends up chasing Linda and coveting her for his own.

Cute Malin Akerman is Eva. The funniest is Joe Lo Truglio as Wayne , a nudist winemaker. Wayne never has any clothes on, and for costume he wears a rather prominent prosthetic member for most scenes.

Not really the kind of movie I enjoy, but I have to admit I laughed often, mostly in response to the absurdity of most situations.

Justin Theroux, in my opinion, steals the show!

Author: Hellmant from United States
21 June 2012

'WANDERLUST': Three and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

Filmmaker David Wain and actor Paul Rudd reteam (after working together on the 2001 cult classic comedy 'WET HOT American SUMMER' and the 2008 comedy hit 'ROLE MODELS') for this 'Free Love' culture clash comedy. It co-stars Jennifer Aniston (which is also a reteaming with Rudd, after working together on 'FRIENDS' for several episodes as well as the 1998 comedy 'OBJECT OF MY AFFECTION') as well as a large ensemble cast including Justin Theroux, Malin Akerman, Alan Alda and Ken Marino (who also co-wrote the film with the director, Wain). The story focuses on a married couple hit with hard times because of the economy who decides to try living at a rural 'hippy' commune. The movie is funny, thanks to great efforts from the entire cast and Wain's directing, but the script could have used a little more work.

Rudd plays George, a recently unemployed financial firm executive, and Aniston plays his wife Linda, who had been working on a documentary about the shocking truth of penguin sexual habits (a real documentary with similar subject matter recently made headlines) which was rejected by HBO. They decide to move in with George's brother Rick (Marino) and his wife Marisa (Michaela Watkins) in Georgia, where Rick offered George a job, but after his brother drives them insane they decide to pack up and move again. They return to the bed and breakfast they stopped at on the way because they had such a good time with the 'free love' residents there and decide to throw their conventional lifestyle away for a new experimental life at the commune. Once they've stayed there for a little while though life there begins to drive them crazy as well.

The movie is quite funny at times and not so funny at others but it's never dull. The characters, for the most part, are all enjoyable and or likable and the performances are all more than adequate as well. Rudd is in his usual top form and it's nice to see Aniston trying something a little different, which is what she's always best at. Alda is hilarious and Justin Theroux, in my opinion, steals the show; he has some of the best line delivery I've seen in a comedy this year. The movie does leave you wanting a little more, there was potential for the filmmakers to deliver something really good here, but it's still a decent enough comedy that's definitely worth a watch in my opinion.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVtbIzK8ZjQ