IMDb > Wanderlust (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wanderlust

Wanderlust More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Not worth it, only 2 mins of comedy

Author: latinohabanero from London
7 January 2014

I though the film was a bit cheese, I didn't buy it and it annoyed me quite a bit - the nudity was quite bad, the plot quite weak and honestly I would literally kill myself if I had to pay to watch this.

What's the point of making a romantic comedy if all it has is nudity (in which nobody has the right figure for the screen) and I know we mostly judge by shape and looks these days but it was all Eeeeeeewwwwww!

I originally though it was worth the watch since it got quite a lot of bad reviews and a few good ones but the ones that liked it were annoyed at those who didn't so I had to see what the fuss was all about and damn, it had bad reviews for a reason, if you want to get bored and waste your time then be my guest but you've been warned fellas.

Wanderlust

Author: Jacob Rosen (bix171@comcast.net) from United States
6 January 2014

There's not too much going on here. Idiosyncratic comedian David Wain directs and co-writes a trifle about two yuppies (Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston) forced to relocate to Georgia and end up on a commune run by a spiritualist with hidden intentions (Justin Theroux). There isn't a moment that isn't predictable with only a couple of modest laughs. Rudd is quickly turning into the Everyman of ca-ca jokes (not a good thing) while Aniston still would rather take roles that highlight her beauty rather than the more demanding ones (such as "The Good Girl") that she attempted shortly after her film career began in earnest. Director Wain offers no indication that his style of humor (wacky, awkward moments) has the heft that is needed to distinguish it from anyone else; it's unfortunately evident he belongs here in the stable of Judd Apatow's bland filmmakers.

Not worth watching

Author: Marijan Nikic from Zagreb, Croatia
28 January 2013

At the end of this movie there are a few bloopers, in which basically the actors burst into laugh when saying some lines of their respective characters. Watching this, I thought to myself - this movie was obviously funny only to the people on the set, while it was being made. Maybe I would have laughed too if I was there with them. It's either that or none of the actors have any sense of humor. Which I don't believe is the case, because some of these actors are generally good, I guess they just fell victims to a devastatingly bad script.

In other words, this movie sucks big time. I mean, I didn't expect much, since it's a romantic comedy, and such movies are practically supposed to be uninventive and predictable. But this one is almost unbearable to watch. There is no plot whatsoever, the characters are mostly idiotic (not funny kind, just plainly idiotic); I think personally the only positive thing about this movie would be Jennifer Aniston, but her performance wasn't quite admirable as well. I guess that's because the movie didn't require any performance to begin with. Just a bunch of aimless characters, with moronic lines that don't make any sense most of the time.

There is a mild improvement in general perspective of the movie while it gets closer to the end, when it gradually blends into "the romantic-comedy cliché" (I can't believe that I actually said that a cliché is an improvement, but in this case this is true). Unfortunately, it's not remotely enough to make it worth while.

Want my advice? Skip this one!

Hilarious!

Author: sandyb0802 from United States
20 January 2013

This is more of an independent quirky film so I get why some people just don't get the humor. I would describe the humor as tongue in cheek and absurd (which is great for me and tickles my funny bone to no end). Basically it is a great cast poking fun at the hippie dippy community. I think you have to already think that kind of lifestyle is a joke in order to laugh. Personally I know people who are like those they are portraying and they are really laying it on thick. They take being all open and free and take it up a like 5 notches. I feel like if you enjoy subtle humor then this is good. Actually, to disagree with another viewer I didn't think they were trying too hard at all. I like Saturday Night Live and I think it is a little bit like that kind of humor. Poking fun at certain personalities. If you like The Big Lebowski you will probably like this. I think it was a different movie for Aniston to do and that is a good thing. I mean, Alan Alda was in it. He was also in Woody Allen movies. It's a little bit of cerebral humor because you have to be able to laugh at the stupidity. If you like Larry David you will probably like this. So for me it totally hit the spot. The humor was detailed, subtle and just perfect. Smart, well-paced and just a fun ride. Very good timing! An instant favorite for me (and that is rare!) I couldn't stop laughing. If I throw my head back, that is a good thing. And I am glad Aniston is trying different character roles. Good idea. People will get used to that eventually. Can't see her and then go "alright! this is going to be like Friends!" (I hated Friends, loved Seinfeld). So hopefully this review will help some because it is worth seeing if you understand my review and get it.

Fun time not for the faint of heart

Author: Gimplet from United States
29 June 2013

A movie that knew its intent well. A shock and awe of all things sacred and holy within morals and values. A simple deluge of uncomfortable madness. Which in my case, was absolutely fun. With wanderlust we get an over the top hilarious collision of uncomfortable intrusion. Challenging us on so many wrong levels we find ourselves laughing in protest. In my book this is a success. Sure, there is no deep message redeeming mankind or life lessons to study and preach but sometimes the best movies give medicine by provoking us to lighten up.

Wanderlust is the pie in your face, take a chill pill, the world does not revolve around you prescription. Definitely not for everyone. The movie comes to an enjoyable resolution, most will enjoy by the end. Take the journey, let the chips land where they may. You will find the sensory overload is manageable. Enjoy at your own risk. ;)

Great, funny film!

Author: Jayson Smith from Vancouver, WA
1 March 2013

I thought this movie was great! Featuring a large portion of the cast from the old sketch comedy show 'The State', how could it be bad? Directed by David Wain and written by David Wain and Ken Marino, this movie strays from the stale Hollywood comedy formula in a successful attempt at creating refreshingly original, yet hilarious movie. Completely worth a watch...or maybe two so that you can catch the stuff you missed the first time from laughing so hard. I especially enjoyed the short 'Stella' bits featuring David Wain, Michael Showalter and Michael Ian Black. Over all this movie is great for those like me who tire from watching cliché Hollywood comedies and need something new and unique.

Avoid, there are a 100 better movies whichever way you look

Author: Rameshwar IN from India
14 October 2012

I don't know why this one even got made. Yes I do like Jennifer Aniston, Paul Rudd and even Malin Akerman but not run-of-the-mill comedies. It is full of unfunny gags, under-developed characters and an half-baked script.

George (Rudd) and Linda (Aniston) are happy with their marriage but not their life. They buy a small apartment that is still out of their league which is when George gets fired. George decides to go to his brother to cool off a bit, have a place to live and a job to work at. But they make an unexpected pit stop into a hippy locale and fall in love with their lifestyle and decide to stay there. How they adapt with the people, lifestyle and how they learn about themselves in this experience forms the rest of the story.

Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston are in auto-pilot mode sleepwalking through their respective roles. The director lets the actors have their fun and I really did not care about the rest of the departments. It is neither funny nor raunchy missing both the selling points and the audience will definitely feel cheated on both perspectives.

Avoid, there are a 100 better movies whichever way you look

Lighthearted entertainment

Author: scstroh from United States
12 August 2012

I don't get why this movie is rated so low. Sure the characters aren't too developed and a bit over the top, but maybe I didn't mind because I expected that from this Hollywood comedy.

Being a comedy, it delivered with its quirky humor. I especially liked the fact that everything was fair game for its brazen satire. It didn't just make a mockery of a particular lifestyle, but found humor in every setting and lifestyle in the movie. The best part about it was that it pushed boundaries in a gentle way. Yeah there was nudity, but who cares? It wasn't crass for the most part, and if you're old enough to watch an R-rated movie, you should be comfortable enough to see naked bodies of all sorts without being offended.

As expected, the ending tied the story up in a nice little bow and left me feeling satisfied for the most part. Overall, I thought this movie was lighthearted and interesting. I think it's worth the watch. Or maybe I'm just a hippie.

What a laugh!!

Author: aliciadipesto from London, England
19 January 2013

Maybe I'm off the mark here but I can't understand why this had had such a bad press. I've seen this film 3 times now and every time fall over laughing. It's imaginative, witty, warm, clever and refreshing. Some great actors too, surely they wouldn't have signed up to a turd of a movie - that speaks volumes for me. Sure the characters are a bit pantomime at times especially the brother of the main character but still, it's so well written such a crime is entirely forgivable.

I'm surprised too that in the 4 years we've been in recession there hasn't really been a lot of content has been released concerning the recession itself, and this also sets the film apart. Maybe I'm just a frustrated hippie. But this movie is funny as hell and the dialogue alone is cracking. A real feel-good way to while away a couple of hours and very entertaining.

Just a nasty, offbeat comedy that is just a bit too dirty to be good.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
4 July 2012

You will like this movie if you like totally irreverent humor and don't mind lots of bad language, lots of nudity, and lots of open discussion of sex acts and body functions. If you don't care for that sort of stuff in a movie then definitely skip this one.

For me it was too much, but in a strange sort of way I enjoyed most of it. I can't give it a very good rating, nor would I recommend it to any friends, but I did enjoy the quirky path it takes.

Paul Rudd is ambitious George Gergenblatt and his wife is Jennifer Aniston as ambitious Linda Gergenblatt. They just bought a small efficiency in Manhattan, a "micro loft", then the next day his company dissolves while HBO rejects her latest film project. So they hit the road, off to Atlanta where George's brother lives, but stop one night at a B&B that is actually a commune of hippies. When his psycho brother turns out to be a bad idea, they retreat to the commune and decide to try out that life. It seems so much more relaxed than the rat race of New York.

So the movie is really about their adventures in the commune, chock full of quirky characters. Every last one of them, including the founder from 1971, Alan Alda as Carvin, getting around in a motorized wheelchair. Perhaps the best is Justin Theroux as Seth, musician and philosopher, who ends up chasing Linda and coveting her for his own.

Cute Malin Akerman is Eva. The funniest is Joe Lo Truglio as Wayne , a nudist winemaker. Wayne never has any clothes on, and for costume he wears a rather prominent prosthetic member for most scenes.

Not really the kind of movie I enjoy, but I have to admit I laughed often, mostly in response to the absurdity of most situations.