IMDb > Wanderlust (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wanderlust

Wanderlust More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

A Lazy, Disappointing Comedy of Hippie Clichés

Author: brando647 from Spring Hill, FL
2 October 2012

There wasn't a whole lot of advertising for WANDERLUST when it was making it's way to theaters and it sort of snuck in under the radar. This confused me at the time because Paul Rudd is a bankable leading comic actor, Jennifer Aniston has a baffling audience appeal, and director David Wain was responsible for the well-received ROLE MODELS (again, with Rudd) in 2008. So why was this movie receiving so little media attention? I was determined to see it regardless because the premise was something that struck a chord with me and I had faith in the filmmakers. So when I finally saw the movie, I understood it all: the movie was overlooked because it fails. It's not a horrible movie. It has a handful of chuckles somewhere in there but, as a whole, it's almost painful to watch. The movie follows George and Linda Gergenblatt (Rudd and Aniston), a Manhattan couple who are forced from their big city life when George loses his job. En route to Atlanta to receive help from George's obnoxious brother Rick, George and Linda stop for a night at the Elysium Bed & Breakfast, an intentional community of hippies living together on a farm under the guidance of Seth (Justin Theroux). George and Linda are smitten with their freedom and the overwhelming sense of peace emanating from these open-minded, loving people and opt to give commune life a chance. But when Elysium's free-wheeling ways begin to weigh on George, it might become the final death blow for his marriage.

There are just so many misfires in this movie that I didn't anticipate. I had a lot of hope for the cast of the movie, as Elysium was populated with talented comedians, both improv and tradition: Joe Lo Truglio, Jordan Peele, Kerri Kenney, and even Alan Alda. I still consider Paul Rudd one of the funniest straight-men in modern comedies (despite WANDERLUST) and I was even willing to give Jennifer Aniston the benefit of the doubt after her turn in last year's HORRIBLE BOSSES. Justin Theroux was a big selling point for me, as I know he had a hand in writing one of my favorite comedies (TROPIC THUNDER) and he was one of the few high points in an otherwise disappointing YOUR HIGHNESS. I can tell everyone on set was giving their role everything they had, and I feel like a lot of the blame for why this movie flopped so bad lies with the writers and director. It looks to me as if David Wain relies a little too heavily on improvising on set and doesn't know when to cut a camera. I've seen him in behind the scenes footage and he obviously has a very awkward sense of humor that can work but maybe in smaller doses. And then there's Ken Marino. Marino wrote the screenplay with Wain, and he also has a role in the movie as George's brother Rick. I'm hoping Marino is no where near as obnoxious a person as his character, but if his improvised bits are any indication he has a harder time knowing when to reel it in than Wain.

This leads to my biggest complaint with the movie: it just doesn't know when to end a joke. There are too many moments in the movie where the humor from a scene comes and goes but the movie refuses to move on. The biggest example (and the one you'll see most hated on in the forums for this movie) is when George is trying to hype himself up to seduce Eva (Malin Akerman). He stands in front of a bathroom mirror trying out his dirty talk in all manner of voices and facial contortions. What first starts as a chuckle (because it was never too funny to begin with) quickly turns to groans and then pleading for the story to move on. Which it does. To a scene where he is in Eva's bedroom doing the whole thing over again, except now Eva is present to share in the awkward disgust. This was the sequence in the movie where I officially gave up trying to care. It was hard enough from the start because so many of the characters are just so abrasive and unlikable with the exception of poor George. George is the only "normal" person here. It's as if he's fallen into some bizarre alternate universe where people have forgotten how to act like…I don't know…people. His wife Linda is an ungrateful shrew from the beginning, giving George a hard time when he loses his job (which wasn't his fault) while pursuing her own umpteenth failed career attempt. The residents of Elysium, for the most part, are just horrible people. Judgmental, rude, and unforgiving…and these are supposed to be hippies. Some of their shtick is funny, particularly Peele and Lo Truglio's characters.

On top of everything, the script is lazy. It relies on clichés for most of the laughs: the average man's reaction to casual nudity, pot smoking and guitar playing hippies, a bizarre, over-the-top connection to nature and human emotion. There is no real characterization to most of the inhabitants. It's just a bunch of surface jokes about the common perception of hippies with some naked old people thrown in for good measure. The final result is a movie that might elicit a few laughs out of you, but more than likely will have you wishing the 98 minute run-time didn't feel twice as long and feeling sorry for poor George Gergenblatt.

are hippies funny...

Author: MLDinTN from TN
9 December 2012

that is the question this movie tries to answer. The film is about married couple, George and Linda, whom must leave New York City after George loses his job. My favorite part wasn't the hippies, it was when George and Linda go to George's brother's house. The brother says the most inappropriate things and his wife is a lonely, depressed woman and they have a foul mouthed kid. Needless to say, they can't stand to be there long and go back to the hippie place in which they had spent the night at before arriving at the brother's. There they live without doors, smoke pot, have free love. Some of it was funny, but there are much better comedies out there. And of course George and Linda must find each other at the end.

FINAL VERDICT: It was OK; worth a view if you want some raunchy humor

What a piece of garbage

Author: Fearinahandfullofdust from United States
23 July 2012

I literally sat through the entire movie and didn't laugh once. Could we stop with the Forgetting Sarah Marshall clichés, like the man forced to watch the woman participate in rituals that are sexual in nature? It wasn't funny then, and it isn't funny now. What a horribly written waste of time. How many times exactly do Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston plan on playing the same characters? I cannot accurately put into words how disappointed I am that I was talked into enduring this movie. Please save yourselves the misery of watching the careers of the cast slowly drown before your very eyes. Somehow its a stand-alone movie with all the quality of a straight-to-DVD sequel, and it left me full of remorse for the hour and a half I lost.

Terrible and Unfunny Silliness

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
30 April 2014

In New York, the aspirant filmmaker Linda (Jennifer Aniston) convinces her husband George Gergenblatt (Paul Rudd) to buy an expensive Micro Loft apartment in Manhattan. Linda expects to sell a documentary about penguins to HBO to help the payment of the installments and George expects a promotion. However, HBO rejects the documentary and George's company has folded and he is fired. With the American crisis, they lose a large amount selling the apartment and George does not find a new job. George's brother Seth (Justin Theroux) offers a job position in his company in Atlanta.

They drive from New York to Atlanta and they decide to stop for the night in the hotel Elysium. However they see a naked man running toward their car and George tries to return to the highway but accidentally he turns his car over. Soon they learn the Elysium is a hippie and vegan community and the dwellers invite George and Linda to stay with them. However, they decide to go to Atlanta but soon George has an argument with his arrogant brother. George returns to Elysium with Linda and they decide to stay for a two-week trial. A couple of days later, Linda feels well with her new friends but George has difficulties to adapt himself to the rules of Elysium.

"Wanderlust" is a terrible and unfunny comedy with a silly story. Jennifer Aniston is a great actress but his agent or she should be more careful with the screenplays they select. The cast has other good names, such as Paul Rudd, Alan Alda, Lauren Ambrose and Malin Akerman, but the moronic plot is too stupid and does not make laugh. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "Viajar É Preciso" ("Triping Is Necessary")

Surprisingly Disappointing

Author: headstocki from United Kingdom
16 June 2012

WANDERLUST - 5/10.

Being as I am more than fond of both Judd Apatow (Producer) and Paul Rudd (Lead Actor/Co. Producer) I was extremely eager to watch Wanderlust but came out of it disappointed and honestly quite shocked by the fact that Apatow had produced something so mediocre!

That being said I did laugh in this film on quite a few occasions actually, in particular the mirror scene which was to say the least hilarious. In my opinion it was these rare moments of overstated humour and light satire which made the film bearable. Another strong point is the running time; thankfully this film doesn't drag on too much to the point where it becomes tedious.

Rudd is consistently brilliant in nearly every release he has been in and Wanderlust is certainly no exception, but the person that stole the show for me personally was Joe Lo Truglio as Wayne the nudist novelist. I feel that in previous films Truglio has shined, never having a large part but still managing to have a huge impact on the overall humour of a film, notable examples are Kuzzick in Role Models (also alongside Rudd and director David Wain) and my personal favourite Lonnie in I Love You, Man (again, alongside Rudd). I feel that Truglio has this same effect in Wanderlust and that he played one of the more likable and overall interesting characters amongst a cast that is generally dull.

Jennifer Aniston tries. Everything she does in this film comes off as a bit too eccentric, for example the weird acid trip she has just felt awkward and kind of unnecessary. The only thing that the does to a truly good standard is playing the 'un-employed go-getter living in the midst of a bustling Manhattan' but to be fair this sort of role has got to be second nature for her. Frankly the more in-your-face kind of comedy is a little out of Aniston's comfort zone and this does show a bit in Wanderlust.

A lot of other reviews are advising you not to watch it but I disagree based on the fact that you could definitely do a lot worse. You should especially watch this if you enjoyed Wain's Wet Hot American Summer being as both films share a light form of satire. Wanderlust does not match Wet Hot American Summer in terms of overall comedy but I feel that the two are still comparable. Sure, nothing in Wanderlust is worth writing home about (apart from maybe the mirror scene which truly is, hilarious) and it is fairly forgettable but if you are ever in the mood for something light-hearted not to be taken too seriously kind of film then you can't go wrong with Wanderlust.

Stupidest movie I watched in the last decade!

Author: Samer b
30 March 2012

Basically, if you fancy stupidity and disgusting comedy then this might be something you like. it's the stupidest most worthless movie I've seen in a decade.

I wanted to leave 20 minutes in but I had to stay because it was a birthday present.

The stupidity, disgusting images and regret for the 2 hours waste of my life haunted me for days.

Intelligent and creative humor is absent except for a 1 minute scene in the whole movie.

Not worth it.

Dreadful,...

Author: Saad Khan from Pakistan
11 June 2012

Wanderlust – TRASH IT (D) It won't be wrong to say that Wanderlust is Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd's worst movie till date. There is no story and even they don't utilize the R-Rating in their best benefits. For Jennifer, if she is not comfortable with the R-rated scenes she should not have done this movie. I think they did cut the Justin Theroux and Jennifer Aniston sex scene since they've started dating in real life. Anyways it wouldn't have made any difference but still at least it would have made sense to the story. Paul Rudd, Jennifer Aniston, Justin Thereoux, Malin Akerman all are victim of bad script and screenplay. There is nothing funny about cult or nudists as such. Simply trash this garbage. No wonder its one of the biggest duds of 2012.

Funniest movie ever!

Author: HotToastyRag from United States
12 June 2017

Wanderlust is one of the funniest comedies I've ever seen. I've probably seen it close to 50 times, and each time I laugh just as much.

A New York career couple suddenly lose their jobs, apartment, and lives as they've known them. While driving south for a potential job opportunity, they stop at a bed and breakfast, Elysium. Elysium, as it turns out, is a commune full of an incredibly colorful and hilarious bunch of hippies! This film, although on the surface is just a raunchy comedy, is incredibly realistic. Anyone who grew up in the 60s or 70s will point to characters on the screen and say, "I know him!" This is not a movie that makes fun of hippies. It depicts an accurate lifestyle at a commune. There are no doors in the house, natural foods and remedies are commonplace, and drugs are often used during bonding exercises. Yes, you'll be laughing, but because it's so realistic, not because it's over-the-top offensive.

I love this movie, so obviously I'm going to recommend it. Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd reunite to play the married couple, which is an adorable perk for those who loved their pairing in The Object of my Affection. And Justin Theroux plays one of the men of the commune; you can see the sparks flying when Aniston acts with her offscreen squeeze and now-husband! DLM Warning: If you suffer from vertigo or dizzy spells, like my mom does, there's one scene in this movie that will make you sick. When the group drinks payote tea, you might want to take a bathroom break. In other words, "Don't Look, Mom!" Kiddy Warning: Obviously, you have control over your own children. However, due to graphic nudity, drug use, and some sexual humor, I wouldn't let my kids watch it.

Wanderlust

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
9 June 2016

I had to search what the title meant, the dictionary definition of "wanderlust" is "a strong, innate desire to rove or travel about", I was just interested to try it having seen the colourful poster, directed by David Wain (Role Models). Basically in New York, aspiring filmmaker Linda Gergenblatt (Jennifer Aniston) convinces her husband George (Paul Rudd, also producing) to buy an expensive micro- apartment in Manhattan, Linda hopes to sell a documentary about penguins to HBO to help pay for instalments, and George is expecting to get a promotion. However HBO rejects the documentary from Linda, George is fired when the company folds, they are both forced to sell the apartment, but they lose money selling due to the financial crisis, and George is unable to find a new job. George's brother Rick (Ken Marino) in Atlanta, Georgia offers George a job position at his company, so he and Linda drive from New York to head for Atlanta, deciding to stop for the night at the bed and breakfast hotel Elysium. However a naked man runs towards them, George tries to drive away backwards to head back for the highway, but ends up accidentally turning the car on its side. Linda and George soon learn that the Elysium is in fact a community, many residents with various hobbies are allowed to express themselves, and they remain hippies and vegans, they are invited by the dwellers to stay with them. They plan to continue to drive on to Atlanta, but George has an argument with his arrogant brother, they return to Elysium, because of a great night they spent with the community Linda suggests they stay for a while until they figure out what to do next, George agrees that they will stay for two weeks. A few days later, Linda really allows herself to become part of the commune, making friends, not having to worry about money, and even embracing an option of free love, but George has difficulty adapting to the rules of Elysium. There is the point when George finds out that Linda has sex with resident Seth (American Psycho's Justin Theroux), and Elysium's owner Carvin (M*A*S*H's Alan Alda) is forced to fight for the right for the commune to remain, but in the end the married couple reconcile and start a publishing company, and Elysium is saved with a copy of a deed. Also starring The Heartbreak Kid's Malin Akerman as Eva, Kathryn Hahn as Karen, Lauren Ambrose as Almond, Kerri Kenney as Kathy and Joe Lo Truglio as Wayne. Anistin and Rudd, having been in Friends and another film together, are attractive leads and have good chemistry, producer Judd Apatow has made hits like Anchorman and Bridesmaids, this has nowhere near the same calibre, I may have giggled at a little of the obvious slapstick and explicit material, and the story of a married couple escaping modern society and entering a commune is alright in parts, but it is certainly not funny enough overall, a fairly disappointing comedy. Okay!

Occasionally funny, never intentionally so

Author: dierregi from Belgium
17 April 2016

I despise pretty much everything with the Apatow stamp on, so I watched this movie only because it was a lazy Saturday evening, nothing much to do and no idea Apatow had any part in it. It started almost OK, with likable couple Aniston- Rudd going broke in New York.

Forced to move to Atlanta and share the house of the Rudd's character obnoxious brother, our couple stumble into a hippie community, with more or less hilarious developments. Should be a pretty innocuous comedy, but it is ruined by the following:

- both Rudd and Aniston are way too old to play a "young couple". In 2012 they were both 43 but in the movie they are playing at least 10 years younger. Indecision and confusion may be appealing in youth, but are sort of pathetic in characters over 40.

- the brother character. I totally hated him and his performance, although it seemed to have been appreciated by many. Perhaps that sort of humour does not translate in other cultures, perhaps "obnoxious" is just not funny in my book

- the crass vulgarity of modern society. This is not an Apatow fault "per se", but he is certainly very good when it comes to show the worst of the American middle-upper class. In fact, he is so good that he carries things too far - just watch the uncomfortable scene of Paul Rudd shouting obscenities at the mirror. It drags on for what seems forever, it is excessive, it stupid, but most of all, it is not funny at all.

This pretty much summaries every Apatow endeavor: filled with crass obscenities, vulgar, repetitive, unfunny and a sad reminder of modern American society.

P.S. Apatow is the producer