IMDb > Wanderlust (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wanderlust

Wanderlust More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Mirror Scene Makes the Movie

Author: rossangela from Oregon, USA
15 July 2013

What could have been a 5 or 6 star comedy film, is made a 10 star film by Paul Rudd's (improvised?) mirror scene. When I watched that part, I thought "What great directing!" But then, when I read on IMDb that Rudd improvised that scene, I thought "What a great comic acting genius he is". So although there are a few hokey scenes (the psychedelic trip, the 2 cars in the pond) in all, the film is entertaining at least, and hilarious at best, especially due to Rudd's great improvisation. With something this light, it's best not to over-analyze its elements. (and by the way, I thought that Jennifer Anniston was very good, despite other reviewers comments). So rather than picking it apart, as though it were up for an academy award, just watch, laugh and enjoy!!

I understand if people don't like this movie but I really enjoyed it.

Author: waldo621 from United States
8 July 2013

First off, the movie stars Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston. What's not to love there?! Both funny and lovable actors. Now, the reason why this movie has the rating that it does is because the humor in it is nothing like you've ever seen or heard before. It's a very different and unique style of humor that no one is accustomed to and so, people don't like it because it's not mainstream. As for me, it was relieving to see something original and something that actually made me laugh constantly throughout the movie. The humor thrived on its awkwardness and offbeat nature, two components I love to see in comedies but apparently not for others- hence the low rating. For instance, I lost it when Paul Rudd is trying to prep himself for sex in front of the blonde chick. I was laughing harder and harder as he kept rambling on how he was gonna do what he was gonna do that by the end, I was out of breath. The scene was so drawn out and excessively awkward but that's exactly the reason why I thought it was the funniest scene in the movie. It kind of defines the brand of humor that the movie has to offer and it's a brand that the majority doesn't appreciate. I also loved how genuine and smart the movie was too; it actually offered sophisticated insight into love, life, friendship and all those other good things. Maybe people didn't see that or they just didn't care but I like it when a movie has heart to it. Anyway, if you want to see something different, you should definitely check this movie out. It's always good to try something new and hey, if you don't like it, you don't like it.

A 2nd rate attempt at a "Lost In America" update, minus the consistent humor

Author: Twins65 from Lindenhurst, IL
5 October 2012

WANDERLUST had potential, as I laughed several times in the beginning until they got to the commune. Rudd and Aniston make a believable husband and wife team as an upwardly mobile Manhattan couple that ultimately wasn't really on the way up. And the scenes driving south and at his brother's place sure aped the Albert Brooks' mid-80's masterpiece I referenced in my title line, up to and including a version of the "My legs are tired, let's live here" line which caused them to pull over.

Unfortunately, they pulled over at the Elysium commune, where the movie vibe was just way more weird than funny. I still laughed a few more times thanks to Rudd, as he's probably one of my favorite actors these days, both when he's playing the straight man off comedy or slinging zingers off the absurd (like a giant prosthetic dick in his face or taking a dump with company). But there just wasn't enough "comedy" to sustain WANDERLUST, and I can see why it ultimately failed to find an audience at the multiplexes. I really doubt it will find one on DVD either.

I guess what I'm really saying is to go ahead and watch "Lost In America" again, and take a pass on this one.

I don't get the negative reviews. I thought it was hilarious.

Author: fischfin from United States
19 September 2012

I don't get the negative reviews. I thought it was hilarious. The storyline may not be entirely new; couple in crisis meets eccentric group, but it all worked for me. I thought the humor was there throughout the entire movie and that is rare these day's. I also found some of the other characters story lines to be very funny, one in particular was very original, Joe Lo Truglio as Wayne the nudist winemaker and writer, brilliant! Kathy Hahn as the angry hippie, Justin Theroux as the 'leader' were flat out funny. Also it was great to Alan Alda as the aging hippie with dimentia, again very original. If you enjoy Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston well worth a look!

A Lazy, Disappointing Comedy of Hippie Clichés

Author: brando647 from Spring Hill, FL
2 October 2012

There wasn't a whole lot of advertising for WANDERLUST when it was making it's way to theaters and it sort of snuck in under the radar. This confused me at the time because Paul Rudd is a bankable leading comic actor, Jennifer Aniston has a baffling audience appeal, and director David Wain was responsible for the well-received ROLE MODELS (again, with Rudd) in 2008. So why was this movie receiving so little media attention? I was determined to see it regardless because the premise was something that struck a chord with me and I had faith in the filmmakers. So when I finally saw the movie, I understood it all: the movie was overlooked because it fails. It's not a horrible movie. It has a handful of chuckles somewhere in there but, as a whole, it's almost painful to watch. The movie follows George and Linda Gergenblatt (Rudd and Aniston), a Manhattan couple who are forced from their big city life when George loses his job. En route to Atlanta to receive help from George's obnoxious brother Rick, George and Linda stop for a night at the Elysium Bed & Breakfast, an intentional community of hippies living together on a farm under the guidance of Seth (Justin Theroux). George and Linda are smitten with their freedom and the overwhelming sense of peace emanating from these open-minded, loving people and opt to give commune life a chance. But when Elysium's free-wheeling ways begin to weigh on George, it might become the final death blow for his marriage.

There are just so many misfires in this movie that I didn't anticipate. I had a lot of hope for the cast of the movie, as Elysium was populated with talented comedians, both improv and tradition: Joe Lo Truglio, Jordan Peele, Kerri Kenney, and even Alan Alda. I still consider Paul Rudd one of the funniest straight-men in modern comedies (despite WANDERLUST) and I was even willing to give Jennifer Aniston the benefit of the doubt after her turn in last year's HORRIBLE BOSSES. Justin Theroux was a big selling point for me, as I know he had a hand in writing one of my favorite comedies (TROPIC THUNDER) and he was one of the few high points in an otherwise disappointing YOUR HIGHNESS. I can tell everyone on set was giving their role everything they had, and I feel like a lot of the blame for why this movie flopped so bad lies with the writers and director. It looks to me as if David Wain relies a little too heavily on improvising on set and doesn't know when to cut a camera. I've seen him in behind the scenes footage and he obviously has a very awkward sense of humor that can work but maybe in smaller doses. And then there's Ken Marino. Marino wrote the screenplay with Wain, and he also has a role in the movie as George's brother Rick. I'm hoping Marino is no where near as obnoxious a person as his character, but if his improvised bits are any indication he has a harder time knowing when to reel it in than Wain.

This leads to my biggest complaint with the movie: it just doesn't know when to end a joke. There are too many moments in the movie where the humor from a scene comes and goes but the movie refuses to move on. The biggest example (and the one you'll see most hated on in the forums for this movie) is when George is trying to hype himself up to seduce Eva (Malin Akerman). He stands in front of a bathroom mirror trying out his dirty talk in all manner of voices and facial contortions. What first starts as a chuckle (because it was never too funny to begin with) quickly turns to groans and then pleading for the story to move on. Which it does. To a scene where he is in Eva's bedroom doing the whole thing over again, except now Eva is present to share in the awkward disgust. This was the sequence in the movie where I officially gave up trying to care. It was hard enough from the start because so many of the characters are just so abrasive and unlikable with the exception of poor George. George is the only "normal" person here. It's as if he's fallen into some bizarre alternate universe where people have forgotten how to act like…I don't know…people. His wife Linda is an ungrateful shrew from the beginning, giving George a hard time when he loses his job (which wasn't his fault) while pursuing her own umpteenth failed career attempt. The residents of Elysium, for the most part, are just horrible people. Judgmental, rude, and unforgiving…and these are supposed to be hippies. Some of their shtick is funny, particularly Peele and Lo Truglio's characters.

On top of everything, the script is lazy. It relies on clichés for most of the laughs: the average man's reaction to casual nudity, pot smoking and guitar playing hippies, a bizarre, over-the-top connection to nature and human emotion. There is no real characterization to most of the inhabitants. It's just a bunch of surface jokes about the common perception of hippies with some naked old people thrown in for good measure. The final result is a movie that might elicit a few laughs out of you, but more than likely will have you wishing the 98 minute run-time didn't feel twice as long and feeling sorry for poor George Gergenblatt.

are hippies funny...

Author: MLDinTN from TN
9 December 2012

that is the question this movie tries to answer. The film is about married couple, George and Linda, whom must leave New York City after George loses his job. My favorite part wasn't the hippies, it was when George and Linda go to George's brother's house. The brother says the most inappropriate things and his wife is a lonely, depressed woman and they have a foul mouthed kid. Needless to say, they can't stand to be there long and go back to the hippie place in which they had spent the night at before arriving at the brother's. There they live without doors, smoke pot, have free love. Some of it was funny, but there are much better comedies out there. And of course George and Linda must find each other at the end.

FINAL VERDICT: It was OK; worth a view if you want some raunchy humor

What a piece of garbage

Author: Fearinahandfullofdust from United States
23 July 2012

I literally sat through the entire movie and didn't laugh once. Could we stop with the Forgetting Sarah Marshall clichés, like the man forced to watch the woman participate in rituals that are sexual in nature? It wasn't funny then, and it isn't funny now. What a horribly written waste of time. How many times exactly do Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston plan on playing the same characters? I cannot accurately put into words how disappointed I am that I was talked into enduring this movie. Please save yourselves the misery of watching the careers of the cast slowly drown before your very eyes. Somehow its a stand-alone movie with all the quality of a straight-to-DVD sequel, and it left me full of remorse for the hour and a half I lost.

Terrible and Unfunny Silliness

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
30 April 2014

In New York, the aspirant filmmaker Linda (Jennifer Aniston) convinces her husband George Gergenblatt (Paul Rudd) to buy an expensive Micro Loft apartment in Manhattan. Linda expects to sell a documentary about penguins to HBO to help the payment of the installments and George expects a promotion. However, HBO rejects the documentary and George's company has folded and he is fired. With the American crisis, they lose a large amount selling the apartment and George does not find a new job. George's brother Seth (Justin Theroux) offers a job position in his company in Atlanta.

They drive from New York to Atlanta and they decide to stop for the night in the hotel Elysium. However they see a naked man running toward their car and George tries to return to the highway but accidentally he turns his car over. Soon they learn the Elysium is a hippie and vegan community and the dwellers invite George and Linda to stay with them. However, they decide to go to Atlanta but soon George has an argument with his arrogant brother. George returns to Elysium with Linda and they decide to stay for a two-week trial. A couple of days later, Linda feels well with her new friends but George has difficulties to adapt himself to the rules of Elysium.

"Wanderlust" is a terrible and unfunny comedy with a silly story. Jennifer Aniston is a great actress but his agent or she should be more careful with the screenplays they select. The cast has other good names, such as Paul Rudd, Alan Alda, Lauren Ambrose and Malin Akerman, but the moronic plot is too stupid and does not make laugh. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "Viajar É Preciso" ("Triping Is Necessary")

Surprisingly Disappointing

Author: headstocki from United Kingdom
16 June 2012

WANDERLUST - 5/10.

Being as I am more than fond of both Judd Apatow (Producer) and Paul Rudd (Lead Actor/Co. Producer) I was extremely eager to watch Wanderlust but came out of it disappointed and honestly quite shocked by the fact that Apatow had produced something so mediocre!

That being said I did laugh in this film on quite a few occasions actually, in particular the mirror scene which was to say the least hilarious. In my opinion it was these rare moments of overstated humour and light satire which made the film bearable. Another strong point is the running time; thankfully this film doesn't drag on too much to the point where it becomes tedious.

Rudd is consistently brilliant in nearly every release he has been in and Wanderlust is certainly no exception, but the person that stole the show for me personally was Joe Lo Truglio as Wayne the nudist novelist. I feel that in previous films Truglio has shined, never having a large part but still managing to have a huge impact on the overall humour of a film, notable examples are Kuzzick in Role Models (also alongside Rudd and director David Wain) and my personal favourite Lonnie in I Love You, Man (again, alongside Rudd). I feel that Truglio has this same effect in Wanderlust and that he played one of the more likable and overall interesting characters amongst a cast that is generally dull.

Jennifer Aniston tries. Everything she does in this film comes off as a bit too eccentric, for example the weird acid trip she has just felt awkward and kind of unnecessary. The only thing that the does to a truly good standard is playing the 'un-employed go-getter living in the midst of a bustling Manhattan' but to be fair this sort of role has got to be second nature for her. Frankly the more in-your-face kind of comedy is a little out of Aniston's comfort zone and this does show a bit in Wanderlust.

A lot of other reviews are advising you not to watch it but I disagree based on the fact that you could definitely do a lot worse. You should especially watch this if you enjoyed Wain's Wet Hot American Summer being as both films share a light form of satire. Wanderlust does not match Wet Hot American Summer in terms of overall comedy but I feel that the two are still comparable. Sure, nothing in Wanderlust is worth writing home about (apart from maybe the mirror scene which truly is, hilarious) and it is fairly forgettable but if you are ever in the mood for something light-hearted not to be taken too seriously kind of film then you can't go wrong with Wanderlust.

Stupidest movie I watched in the last decade!

Author: Samer b
30 March 2012

Basically, if you fancy stupidity and disgusting comedy then this might be something you like. it's the stupidest most worthless movie I've seen in a decade.

I wanted to leave 20 minutes in but I had to stay because it was a birthday present.

The stupidity, disgusting images and regret for the 2 hours waste of my life haunted me for days.

Intelligent and creative humor is absent except for a 1 minute scene in the whole movie.

Not worth it.