IMDb > Wanderlust (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wanderlust

Wanderlust More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

A very funny comedy that is not for the easily offended. Rudd has great line delivery as always. Cast is hilarious. I say B+

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
16 June 2012

"We prefer 'intentional community. We're not a bunch of hippies sitting around playing guitar." George (Rudd) and Linda (Aniston) are finally starting to relax. George has a great job and Linda is an aspiring filmmaker who is set to sell her documentary to HBO. They buy a house in one of the nicest parts of New York City and everything is going great. When everything falls apart they move to Atlanta to live with George's brother. Along the way the find a commune called Elysium with a very eclectic group of people. They find more then the expected there. This is a very funny movie but it is not for everyone. This is the type of comedy where if you offend easy I would avoid it. Like most movies by Apatow or Rudd the dialog is so great that you find it hard not to laugh at the lines or the delivery of them. The cast is great in this and everyone adds their own brand of comedy but at the same time no one really gets in the way of the others. Just as a heads up though there is a lot of full frontal male nudity in this, but its really funny when it happens. I laughed threw the entire movie and there are a ton of quotable lines in this, but this is not a movie I would buy. Overall, a very funny movie that fans of Apatow will love. I give it a B+.

Unpredictable and hilarious

Author: makara79 from United States
7 July 2012

I thought this film was a really good, solid comedy. Hilarious and refreshingly random. Below is a quick run down of things I like. If you have similar tastes to me, maybe you'd agree with me on Wanderlust.

Great comedies: The Office (UK) Curb Your Enthusiasm Seinfeld Portlandia Cedar Rapids Kids in the Hall Larry Sanders Show Big Lebowski / Barton Fink / Serious Man Louie Best in Show Waiting for Guffman Bridesmaids

Good, solid comedies: Modern Family SNL The State The Hangover There's Something About Mary Dodgeball The Birdcage Wedding Crashers The Office (US) Superbad Due Date Napoleon Dynamite

Not-really-for-me comedies: Two and a Half Men Hot Tub Time Machine Friends Will & Grace Dumb and Dumber MadTV Blades of Glory The Waterboy American Pie Austin Powers White Chicks Idiocracy Legally Blonde School of Rock Rush Hour Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle Miss Congeniality

I truly enjoyed this

Author: Ary Monteiro from Sao Paulo, Brazil
4 August 2013

I can see why this is getting so much hate, it's definitely a tad vulgar and will offend the most sensitive, but hell i'd be lying if i don't say i laughed quite consistently.

The tale of a new york couple that struggles with money and failure and finds themselves in a small hippie commune it's simple but heartfelt, Paul and Jennifer are quite good in this and move from serious to awkward with ease, being in my late 30's i could relate with their dilemma since i'm living through a similar f****d up system and the desire to leave everything behind.

It's a comedy for adults so i didn't mind the more uncomfortable bits, there's a lot of nudity (sorry, no Paul or Jen, only ugly folks), I can't recommend it without reservations but I've had a good time.

Not a bad movie, but can Aniston ever not act "Aniston"?

Author: Heidi Standell from Canada
3 June 2013

I wish there was a 6.5 rating. This film doesn't deserve a seven, but it's not quite so low as a six either. It's a meandering film at times, and while Rudd is always great when he's in the role of the middle class and dependable husband/boyfriend put into an unexpected situation, he does have a great deal of comedic talent, and even when he's in a supporting or ensemble cast he generally winds up carrying and being the best thing about most of the movies he's in, Aniston on the other hand is still trying to play the young ingénue she played on "Friends" a decade ago (though she appears to be a sweet woman no matter what role she's playing, and I think that's because she really is a sweet woman who unfortunately isn't a great actress; I think most of her roles to date are basically Aniston playing Aniston). Yes, "Horrible Bosses" WAS a step away from her comfort zone, but her success in that film seemed more based on the character having been created for her than what I can only say was obviously the little and forced effort she put into creating the character. With that movie she could have gone a lot further; despite her supposed sex/power addiction she still seemed like Rachel dressed up like a dominatrix for Halloween, more interested in how she might still look pretty in the nightclub light than how to wield the power her character so desperately needs to make her believable. In "Wanderlust" Aniston's performance is woody, she just can't get into playing a middle aged woman (and c'mon, despite the lighting and the makeup and the botox that's what she is!) who just might want to explore and find out that she is or can be more than the shallow, hungry to succeed city girl that she plays so well in movies and in Hollywood. I'm a middle aged woman myself, and while Rudd's journey is funny and at times touching in his innocent exploration of his societally defined identity, Aniston doesn't bring to the role a sense of identity that a woman her age should have acquired by now. She has a lot of money in real life, so maybe she can stay virtually young forever on the outside, but her acting tells me she's also stayed young, far too young, on the inside. Maybe she'll find that depth as she grows older; if not then she's a TV star past her prime who should stick to the small screen, maybe there she'll again find a niche by playing yet another version of herself. I just hope she learns to play closer to her age -- perhaps a daily job to remind her she's not a twenty something anymore will help her grow up and stop it with the coy little gestures and the wide eye surprise that are cute with the Twilight set but not at all so in a menopausal (or close to it) woman in her mid-forties.

Mirror Scene Makes the Movie

Author: rossangela from Oregon, USA
15 July 2013

What could have been a 5 or 6 star comedy film, is made a 10 star film by Paul Rudd's (improvised?) mirror scene. When I watched that part, I thought "What great directing!" But then, when I read on IMDb that Rudd improvised that scene, I thought "What a great comic acting genius he is". So although there are a few hokey scenes (the psychedelic trip, the 2 cars in the pond) in all, the film is entertaining at least, and hilarious at best, especially due to Rudd's great improvisation. With something this light, it's best not to over-analyze its elements. (and by the way, I thought that Jennifer Anniston was very good, despite other reviewers comments). So rather than picking it apart, as though it were up for an academy award, just watch, laugh and enjoy!!

Hilarious!

Author: sandyb0802 from United States
20 January 2013

This is more of an independent quirky film so I get why some people just don't get the humor. I would describe the humor as tongue in cheek and absurd (which is great for me and tickles my funny bone to no end). Basically it is a great cast poking fun at the hippie dippy community. I think you have to already think that kind of lifestyle is a joke in order to laugh. Personally I know people who are like those they are portraying and they are really laying it on thick. They take being all open and free and take it up a like 5 notches. I feel like if you enjoy subtle humor then this is good. Actually, to disagree with another viewer I didn't think they were trying too hard at all. I like Saturday Night Live and I think it is a little bit like that kind of humor. Poking fun at certain personalities. If you like The Big Lebowski you will probably like this. I think it was a different movie for Aniston to do and that is a good thing. I mean, Alan Alda was in it. He was also in Woody Allen movies. It's a little bit of cerebral humor because you have to be able to laugh at the stupidity. If you like Larry David you will probably like this. So for me it totally hit the spot. The humor was detailed, subtle and just perfect. Smart, well-paced and just a fun ride. Very good timing! An instant favorite for me (and that is rare!) I couldn't stop laughing. If I throw my head back, that is a good thing. And I am glad Aniston is trying different character roles. Good idea. People will get used to that eventually. Can't see her and then go "alright! this is going to be like Friends!" (I hated Friends, loved Seinfeld). So hopefully this review will help some because it is worth seeing if you understand my review and get it.

Fun time not for the faint of heart

Author: Gimplet from United States
29 June 2013

A movie that knew its intent well. A shock and awe of all things sacred and holy within morals and values. A simple deluge of uncomfortable madness. Which in my case, was absolutely fun. With wanderlust we get an over the top hilarious collision of uncomfortable intrusion. Challenging us on so many wrong levels we find ourselves laughing in protest. In my book this is a success. Sure, there is no deep message redeeming mankind or life lessons to study and preach but sometimes the best movies give medicine by provoking us to lighten up.

Wanderlust is the pie in your face, take a chill pill, the world does not revolve around you prescription. Definitely not for everyone. The movie comes to an enjoyable resolution, most will enjoy by the end. Take the journey, let the chips land where they may. You will find the sensory overload is manageable. Enjoy at your own risk. ;)

Great, funny film!

Author: Jayson Smith from Vancouver, WA
1 March 2013

I thought this movie was great! Featuring a large portion of the cast from the old sketch comedy show 'The State', how could it be bad? Directed by David Wain and written by David Wain and Ken Marino, this movie strays from the stale Hollywood comedy formula in a successful attempt at creating refreshingly original, yet hilarious movie. Completely worth a watch...or maybe two so that you can catch the stuff you missed the first time from laughing so hard. I especially enjoyed the short 'Stella' bits featuring David Wain, Michael Showalter and Michael Ian Black. Over all this movie is great for those like me who tire from watching cliché Hollywood comedies and need something new and unique.

Lighthearted entertainment

Author: scstroh from United States
12 August 2012

I don't get why this movie is rated so low. Sure the characters aren't too developed and a bit over the top, but maybe I didn't mind because I expected that from this Hollywood comedy.

Being a comedy, it delivered with its quirky humor. I especially liked the fact that everything was fair game for its brazen satire. It didn't just make a mockery of a particular lifestyle, but found humor in every setting and lifestyle in the movie. The best part about it was that it pushed boundaries in a gentle way. Yeah there was nudity, but who cares? It wasn't crass for the most part, and if you're old enough to watch an R-rated movie, you should be comfortable enough to see naked bodies of all sorts without being offended.

As expected, the ending tied the story up in a nice little bow and left me feeling satisfied for the most part. Overall, I thought this movie was lighthearted and interesting. I think it's worth the watch. Or maybe I'm just a hippie.

wanderlust - laugh out loud

Author: terbear505 from United States
6 July 2012

This movie has just a many funny scenes as the hangover. I am sitting at my office at work, laughing about this movie. From the beginning with falling asleep during sex to the micro mini studio apartment to the hilarious brother's wife to landing upside down in their car with a naked man standing right at his face. The scenes continued to be funnier. Best Part, was Paul Rudd gearing up in front of the mirror for his love affair, and ending up watching a girl naturally deliver her baby. Yes, the story line is simple, but, if you are in a mood to laugh. I promise, you will. Jennifer and Paul are a great duo. I hope they plan many more movies together.

Page 2 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]