IMDb > Wanderlust (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

What a laugh!!

Author: aliciadipesto from London, England
19 January 2013

Maybe I'm off the mark here but I can't understand why this had had such a bad press. I've seen this film 3 times now and every time fall over laughing. It's imaginative, witty, warm, clever and refreshing. Some great actors too, surely they wouldn't have signed up to a turd of a movie - that speaks volumes for me. Sure the characters are a bit pantomime at times especially the brother of the main character but still, it's so well written such a crime is entirely forgivable.

I'm surprised too that in the 4 years we've been in recession there hasn't really been a lot of content has been released concerning the recession itself, and this also sets the film apart. Maybe I'm just a frustrated hippie. But this movie is funny as hell and the dialogue alone is cracking. A real feel-good way to while away a couple of hours and very entertaining.

Loved it and I really laughed but may not be for everyone

Author: amshotwell from East Coast
16 January 2013

I watched this not knowing anything about it and had no preconceived ideas of what it would be about and I cracked up the whole time. It has a lot of my favorite comic actors in it. I am pretty picky really and did find some of it rather predictable but did not mind that but I found some things to be not predictable too. Full frontal male nudity (spoiler perhaps not sure) is a bit jarring at first but it makes the movie. I guess if you have ever lived with or been around a group of people like this it makes it a little more funny. I say watch but don't expect too much and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised. Not for everyone. Lots of subtle humor that I found great. It think the characters in this movie make you uncomfortable in a lot of scenes on purpose. The Sister in law was my favorite and the best character, her acting is superb!

Fun time not for the faint of heart

Author: Gimplet from United States
29 June 2013

A movie that knew its intent well. A shock and awe of all things sacred and holy within morals and values. A simple deluge of uncomfortable madness. Which in my case, was absolutely fun. With wanderlust we get an over the top hilarious collision of uncomfortable intrusion. Challenging us on so many wrong levels we find ourselves laughing in protest. In my book this is a success. Sure, there is no deep message redeeming mankind or life lessons to study and preach but sometimes the best movies give medicine by provoking us to lighten up.

Wanderlust is the pie in your face, take a chill pill, the world does not revolve around you prescription. Definitely not for everyone. The movie comes to an enjoyable resolution, most will enjoy by the end. Take the journey, let the chips land where they may. You will find the sensory overload is manageable. Enjoy at your own risk. ;)

I don't get the negative reviews. I thought it was hilarious.

Author: fischfin from United States
19 September 2012

I don't get the negative reviews. I thought it was hilarious. The storyline may not be entirely new; couple in crisis meets eccentric group, but it all worked for me. I thought the humor was there throughout the entire movie and that is rare these day's. I also found some of the other characters story lines to be very funny, one in particular was very original, Joe Lo Truglio as Wayne the nudist winemaker and writer, brilliant! Kathy Hahn as the angry hippie, Justin Theroux as the 'leader' were flat out funny. Also it was great to Alan Alda as the aging hippie with dimentia, again very original. If you enjoy Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston well worth a look!

Comedy is a funny thing

Author: kosmasp
16 August 2012

Although this always play out in the eye of the beholder. I could imagine that some people could not relate or find anything funny in this, but I also read it in another guys review here. Just because this is R-rated, doesn't mean you're going to see a lot of the two main actresses (you will see a "bit" from one of the male leads though, even if it's not really his bit).

I on the other hand as you can tell by my rating did really like it. I know the story has more than its fair share of flaws, but it's a lot of fun to watch. If you can laugh at the jokes at hand that is of course. Paul Rudd is playing his usual sch-tick, but his "brother" is the real revelation. He's really funny and awkward! The morality of the whole thing is one dimensional, but you can overlook that, if you can laugh about the movie.

A very funny comedy that is not for the easily offended. Rudd has great line delivery as always. Cast is hilarious. I say B+

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
16 June 2012

"We prefer 'intentional community. We're not a bunch of hippies sitting around playing guitar." George (Rudd) and Linda (Aniston) are finally starting to relax. George has a great job and Linda is an aspiring filmmaker who is set to sell her documentary to HBO. They buy a house in one of the nicest parts of New York City and everything is going great. When everything falls apart they move to Atlanta to live with George's brother. Along the way the find a commune called Elysium with a very eclectic group of people. They find more then the expected there. This is a very funny movie but it is not for everyone. This is the type of comedy where if you offend easy I would avoid it. Like most movies by Apatow or Rudd the dialog is so great that you find it hard not to laugh at the lines or the delivery of them. The cast is great in this and everyone adds their own brand of comedy but at the same time no one really gets in the way of the others. Just as a heads up though there is a lot of full frontal male nudity in this, but its really funny when it happens. I laughed threw the entire movie and there are a ton of quotable lines in this, but this is not a movie I would buy. Overall, a very funny movie that fans of Apatow will love. I give it a B+.

Unpredictable and hilarious

Author: makara79 from United States
7 July 2012

I thought this film was a really good, solid comedy. Hilarious and refreshingly random. Below is a quick run down of things I like. If you have similar tastes to me, maybe you'd agree with me on Wanderlust.

Great comedies: The Office (UK) Curb Your Enthusiasm Seinfeld Portlandia Cedar Rapids Kids in the Hall Larry Sanders Show Big Lebowski / Barton Fink / Serious Man Louie Best in Show Waiting for Guffman Bridesmaids

Good, solid comedies: Modern Family SNL The State The Hangover There's Something About Mary Dodgeball The Birdcage Wedding Crashers The Office (US) Superbad Due Date Napoleon Dynamite

Not-really-for-me comedies: Two and a Half Men Hot Tub Time Machine Friends Will & Grace Dumb and Dumber MadTV Blades of Glory The Waterboy American Pie Austin Powers White Chicks Idiocracy Legally Blonde School of Rock Rush Hour Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle Miss Congeniality

I truly enjoyed this

Author: Ary Monteiro from Sao Paulo, Brazil
4 August 2013

I can see why this is getting so much hate, it's definitely a tad vulgar and will offend the most sensitive, but hell i'd be lying if i don't say i laughed quite consistently.

The tale of a new york couple that struggles with money and failure and finds themselves in a small hippie commune it's simple but heartfelt, Paul and Jennifer are quite good in this and move from serious to awkward with ease, being in my late 30's i could relate with their dilemma since i'm living through a similar f****d up system and the desire to leave everything behind.

It's a comedy for adults so i didn't mind the more uncomfortable bits, there's a lot of nudity (sorry, no Paul or Jen, only ugly folks), I can't recommend it without reservations but I've had a good time.

Not a bad movie, but can Aniston ever not act "Aniston"?

Author: Heidi Standell from Canada
3 June 2013

I wish there was a 6.5 rating. This film doesn't deserve a seven, but it's not quite so low as a six either. It's a meandering film at times, and while Rudd is always great when he's in the role of the middle class and dependable husband/boyfriend put into an unexpected situation, he does have a great deal of comedic talent, and even when he's in a supporting or ensemble cast he generally winds up carrying and being the best thing about most of the movies he's in, Aniston on the other hand is still trying to play the young ingénue she played on "Friends" a decade ago (though she appears to be a sweet woman no matter what role she's playing, and I think that's because she really is a sweet woman who unfortunately isn't a great actress; I think most of her roles to date are basically Aniston playing Aniston). Yes, "Horrible Bosses" WAS a step away from her comfort zone, but her success in that film seemed more based on the character having been created for her than what I can only say was obviously the little and forced effort she put into creating the character. With that movie she could have gone a lot further; despite her supposed sex/power addiction she still seemed like Rachel dressed up like a dominatrix for Halloween, more interested in how she might still look pretty in the nightclub light than how to wield the power her character so desperately needs to make her believable. In "Wanderlust" Aniston's performance is woody, she just can't get into playing a middle aged woman (and c'mon, despite the lighting and the makeup and the botox that's what she is!) who just might want to explore and find out that she is or can be more than the shallow, hungry to succeed city girl that she plays so well in movies and in Hollywood. I'm a middle aged woman myself, and while Rudd's journey is funny and at times touching in his innocent exploration of his societally defined identity, Aniston doesn't bring to the role a sense of identity that a woman her age should have acquired by now. She has a lot of money in real life, so maybe she can stay virtually young forever on the outside, but her acting tells me she's also stayed young, far too young, on the inside. Maybe she'll find that depth as she grows older; if not then she's a TV star past her prime who should stick to the small screen, maybe there she'll again find a niche by playing yet another version of herself. I just hope she learns to play closer to her age -- perhaps a daily job to remind her she's not a twenty something anymore will help her grow up and stop it with the coy little gestures and the wide eye surprise that are cute with the Twilight set but not at all so in a menopausal (or close to it) woman in her mid-forties.

Mirror Scene Makes the Movie

Author: rossangela from Oregon, USA
15 July 2013

What could have been a 5 or 6 star comedy film, is made a 10 star film by Paul Rudd's (improvised?) mirror scene. When I watched that part, I thought "What great directing!" But then, when I read on IMDb that Rudd improvised that scene, I thought "What a great comic acting genius he is". So although there are a few hokey scenes (the psychedelic trip, the 2 cars in the pond) in all, the film is entertaining at least, and hilarious at best, especially due to Rudd's great improvisation. With something this light, it's best not to over-analyze its elements. (and by the way, I thought that Jennifer Anniston was very good, despite other reviewers comments). So rather than picking it apart, as though it were up for an academy award, just watch, laugh and enjoy!!

Page 2 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]