IMDb > Wanderlust (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 12 of 13: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Never Lives Up To It's Full Potential

Author: UnknownWhiteMale_Rises from United States
26 June 2012

Wanderlust has a few good moments, but it is just not that good or funny of a movie. Most of the movies problems seem to be from the product of a weak script. The film has a few very funny moments, but a lot of other moments come off as not very funny or are dragged out way too long and just become awkward or annoying. The movie also suffers from another problem that i've noticed in comedies lately which is awkward cuts right after a joke hits a punchline, which is an issue that is present a lot in the first half of the film. By the end of the film, I couldn't help but think why did this movie even need to be made because it doesn't seem like anyone behind it had any interest or passion in really making it. Overall, Wanderlust isn't terrible, but you could never see it your whole life and you wouldn't miss out on anything. If you really feel like you need to see it then rent it. Otherwise, i'd just save your time and skip it.

Aniston Ruins a Good Idea

Author: Richard Reilly (FFman@comcast.net) from Colorado
28 February 2012

When you walk into a movie by David Wain—the writer/director of Children's Hospital and Role Models—you need to prepare yourself. His humor is directed at a young audience. It also helps to be stoned. I am the right age for a movie like this, but I failed to realize I was supposed to be stoned. As a result, the drawn-out humor of this movie— although funny at first—usually went dry far too quickly.

Wanderlust is not what I expected it to be. The trailer is pretty much the first fifteen minutes of the movie. The actual plot of Wanderlust revolves around a commune that pulls in two city-folk—Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd. Paul Rudd has already proved himself to be a great actor is Wain's over-the-top movie with Role Models. Aniston has not. Her lacking acting ability has thrown many a movie into the crap pile. Unfortunately, Wanderlust is her next victim.

There are plenty of good aspects to Wanderlust. I found myself laughing several times. The problem was that the joke would continue on for several more minutes—long past its expiration. I can't help but recall a scene where Paul Rudd stands in front of a mirror talking to himself for almost five minutes. It just kept going…and going…and going.

Alan Alda was the redemptive role that brought this movie to life. As the original founder of the commune back in the 1960's, Alda plays the role of a senile man who lost a good majority of his sanity to acid. His role allows for the rest of the over-the-top script to plant its feet in reality. Where most of this movie is bland humor, Alda's character allows for a storyline to develop.

If you are stoned, this is the movie for you. If you aren't, but enjoy the humor of Adult Swim, this movie will be somewhat enjoyable (still not better than any episode of Futurama). If you aren't stoned and don't know what Adult Swim is, this is not the movie for you. 2012 has been an extremely lacking year for comedy. Hopefully we can see that change next week with Project X.

reillyreviews.wordpress.com

Go see another movie

Author: lagudafuad from Nigeria
7 June 2012

Wanderlust tries and tries to make you laugh, but with the level of profanity and the weird nudity sessions, all I felt was disgusted and I left with a bad after taste.

Wanderlust is a certified box office bomb just making 21 out of the 35 million spent on production. Filming took place mostly in Georgia, the director David Wain who is also the writer kept fans update on the production progress on his blog, but failed to tell them that they will be wasting their time if they go see the movie.

I'm not a fan of listening to critics thoroughly, although I enjoy reading their comments but I have to admit with them this movie is crap.

The movie did boast of many jokes thrown here and there, problem is none quite hit home for me, having a movie showcasing nudist and hippies and free thinking may be a good thing on paper but mix that with Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd pairing up is a bad idea, even on paper. The on-screen chemistry was not there, they looked more like cousins than a couple (arguable siblings).

The plot show cases a couple who stay together George (Paul Rudd) and Linda (Jennifer Aniston), George loses his job and Aniston who is unemployed find themselves with only one option; move in with George's egotistic brother in Atlanta.

On their way there, they had an accident and stumbled upon Elysium, a community filled with characters who don't believe in Money, Careers or Clothes. The couple found a home in this community and decides to give it a twirl.

The actors in this movie must have failed a course in acting class or either missed the class called, "How to act", all the cast except from the two leads were either over-acting or either not interested in what was going on. The directing and the get together looks like someone must have been high on cheap drugs to put it all together, as David both wrote and directed it he must have thought (while high) that using swear words and nudity will be better than using proper lines.

This is not Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston's first time of working together, they both co-starred together in 18 episodes of the sitcom "Friends" where Paul played Phoebe's love interest turned husband. Aniston has done some pretty good movies over the years before this movie was the hit "HorribleBosses" but this like "Just Go With It" (which also starred Adam Sandler) is not it at all.

Save you money save your time, go see another movie.

This movie is why i created an IMDb account

Author: thomas green from Zimbabwe
6 March 2012

HILARIOUS! holy... crap. I can barely even hold in the laughter whenever I think of this movie, which I saw twice. Funniest movie I've seen since Dumb and Dumber! haha, it's relentless. Can't wait to buy this one! wanna have a couple hour vacation? watch wanderlust. it's freakin ridiculously funny. hehehe anybody who's seen it will laugh at this: "cut two...." this movie saved 2012, and it's worth me vouching for 2012 movies in the future, as long as this is the only one in contention. I'm not kidding, go see it. oh yeah, too much male nudity, but it's not like... all the time. just a little really. some people were laughing at it though, so i can't really hate. The movie is about as deep as this review is, and as meandering.

hehe..... "suck on it."

Tacky Is As Tacky Does

Author: patsworld from United States
1 March 2012

Wanderlust….is this a test to see how gross and raunchy a movie can be before people just say enough already? Because if it is, I'm saying enough already. I adore Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston is always fun to watch. But this movie could have been so much better, so much funnier without all the gratuitous sleaze. Rudd standing in front of a mirror spouting five minutes of pure trashy, tacky talk almost made that sweet, lovable guy disgusting. If this is the best sort of film that can be made …and boy, there's been a lot of them lately…perhaps people need to be avoiding going to the theater altogether until things change. If pictures like Hugo, Descendants, Midnight in Paris, to name only a few, can be made, why is it necessary for money, time and talent to be wasted on stuff like this? There have been so many good movies made….50/50, Sherlock Holmes, The Green Lantern…I could go on for pages…but there have been so many ugly, trashy films made in the meantime. too. And I could easily name them, but why bother? Doesn't anyone look at those tacky things, or stop and really listen to them while they're being filmed, and wonder why? Who's money is being spent on them? And again, why? Perhaps if a whole lot of money was being thrown at me, I'd allow myself to sink to the level of some actors and actresses of late and be in one of these lower class pictures…but then again, maybe not. Maybe I'd think, do I want my family, the world, to remember me in something like this, and I'd be smart enough to turn down the big bucks. Some of these stars should have done that very thing. Like I said, this could have been a really cool movie…it had some funny moments…but for the most part, I'd say this was gross.

Michaela Watkins is a hysterical! You will enjoy this Film! =Funny!

Author: ccbernese
24 February 2012

This is so *funny!*! I fully enjoyed it, and continued to laugh all the way home! So many 1-liners, and scenes that crack you up! It's a great date, or rejuvenate the relationship flick! For those that say the nudity is crude- are just programmed to believe full frontal nudity, particularly men ought not exist, unless 20-something and buff! and 36D Women are just 'fine' ... it's LOL! There is no raunchy or even 'sexy' sex scenes, certainly less sexually-explicit images than any prime-time TV show in your own living room. Of course there is a lot of conversation about the topic, but again, there is far more explicit information on TV... Michaela Watkins is a RIOT! I really would love to see more of the interactions between her and Jennifer Aniston's character. Paul Rudd is consistently good! However, Michaela Watkins just made us laugh a lot!; She has got to be the most talented, yet under-rated, actress out there these days! I give [+2] = a "10" because of Michaela! (otherwise an 8.) ***enjoy!!!***

I've Just Seen This On DVD

Author: kwalker159 from United Kingdom
26 June 2012

I did not see this at the cinema and so I bought the DVD today. The extras are not up to the usual standard of a David Wain DVD, a bit scarce compared to Role Models or Wet Hot American Summer. The 5 out of 10 I give to the talented Paul Rudd. I think I laughed once or twice and it couldn't of been that funny because I can't remember the joke and I only watched it a couple of hours ago. It is criminal that Paul Rudd is doing stuff like this he deserves a whole lot better. The dirty talk bits were cringe-worthy,the rest of the cast were wasted, there was too much over acting and stupid dialogue. I think Paul Rudd is doing another movie with David Wain in the coming months,I hope it's a vast improvement on Wanderlust.

One big "meh"

Author: reneemsm from United States
20 June 2012

I definitely did laugh a few times during this. But what's really sad is that the most my husband and I laughed was at the outtakes in the credits (and of course, the bathroom mirror scene). I found myself so IRRITATED at all of the characters through the whole movie. There were times that I just wanted reach through the screen and smack someone. And there are a few scenes that are just so awkward that they make you want to shut it off. I mean, there's awkward-funny and then there's awkward-annoying. This was awkward-annoying. I really like Paul Rudd and sometimes Jennifer Aniston. And I like about 75% of Judd Appatows movies (generally the ones where he doesn't cast his wife who can't act worth a sh*t). I wanted to like this and I really do feel like the idea was good and it could have gone a different way and been a really good film. But unfortunately the script just doesn't work. Save yourself the money and time. Rent something else.

I'm gonna get it all up in you.

Author: Padraig Walsh (DiSTuRBeDx) from Rep. of Ireland
15 June 2012

The film is mediocre at best. It does try a little too hard and jokes come out flat. Granted, there are a few very funny bits in it. I enjoyed it to a point, I probably wouldn't watch it again and upon viewing, the novelty of it all wears off.

The one saving grace this film had was Paul Rudd. Anything he's in I personally think he's brilliant in and I can include this film into a long list.

Overall, there are a few funny parts but there are too many unfunny parts which drag it all down and quite frankly, could've been a lot better. Especially with such an interesting plot.

an 8 for filming it

Author: anthonymarinelli98 from Hong Kong
11 March 2012

Preview not Review I don't know this movie yet in any way except for a star or two pictured in the ad, but i'm encouraged first of all by the good reviews about a serious issue and films are meant to entertain? If they don't why go...so this seems to succeed on that front..but these kinds of themes were fictionalized at the beginning of the century in all kinds of novels i recall reading them,and it has taken time and I have put this film on my radar to beam into, as a way of living the present and as a way of seeing that old stories and good plot lines always reinvent themselves in new situations...how many really new plots are there...its the old stories with modern twists and turns,and captivating artists and that makes a film worthwhile...wanderlust empties our unconscious doesn't it??

Page 12 of 13: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]