IMDb > Wanderlust (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Wanderlust More at IMDbPro »

Not worth watching

Author: Marijan Nikic from Zagreb, Croatia
28 January 2013

At the end of this movie there are a few bloopers, in which basically the actors burst into laugh when saying some lines of their respective characters. Watching this, I thought to myself - this movie was obviously funny only to the people on the set, while it was being made. Maybe I would have laughed too if I was there with them. It's either that or none of the actors have any sense of humor. Which I don't believe is the case, because some of these actors are generally good, I guess they just fell victims to a devastatingly bad script.

In other words, this movie sucks big time. I mean, I didn't expect much, since it's a romantic comedy, and such movies are practically supposed to be uninventive and predictable. But this one is almost unbearable to watch. There is no plot whatsoever, the characters are mostly idiotic (not funny kind, just plainly idiotic); I think personally the only positive thing about this movie would be Jennifer Aniston, but her performance wasn't quite admirable as well. I guess that's because the movie didn't require any performance to begin with. Just a bunch of aimless characters, with moronic lines that don't make any sense most of the time.

There is a mild improvement in general perspective of the movie while it gets closer to the end, when it gradually blends into "the romantic-comedy cliché" (I can't believe that I actually said that a cliché is an improvement, but in this case this is true). Unfortunately, it's not remotely enough to make it worth while.

Want my advice? Skip this one!

Good acting but screen writing not great

Author: Robert G. Small, MD from Oklahoma
30 July 2012

Wanderlust 2012 C Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston play a New York couple who love each other but are down on their luck. They visit friends and try to find work but take a wrong turn and wind up in a hippie commune populated by a variety of weird characters who believe in doing whatever feels good. *** This includes nudity, random sex, drugs, smoking dope, and constant bizarre situations. Everyone uses foul language. The couple embrace the life style just short of infidelity. We see full frontal male nudity but when Jennifer Anniston bares her breasts, details are blurred. After their marriage is seriously threatened, the couple finally come to their senses and rejoin civilization. In spite of good acting I found myself fast forwarding to get to the end. (July 2012)

Avoid, there are a 100 better movies whichever way you look

Author: Rameshwar IN from India
14 October 2012

I don't know why this one even got made. Yes I do like Jennifer Aniston, Paul Rudd and even Malin Akerman but not run-of-the-mill comedies. It is full of unfunny gags, under-developed characters and an half-baked script.

George (Rudd) and Linda (Aniston) are happy with their marriage but not their life. They buy a small apartment that is still out of their league which is when George gets fired. George decides to go to his brother to cool off a bit, have a place to live and a job to work at. But they make an unexpected pit stop into a hippy locale and fall in love with their lifestyle and decide to stay there. How they adapt with the people, lifestyle and how they learn about themselves in this experience forms the rest of the story.

Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston are in auto-pilot mode sleepwalking through their respective roles. The director lets the actors have their fun and I really did not care about the rest of the departments. It is neither funny nor raunchy missing both the selling points and the audience will definitely feel cheated on both perspectives.

Avoid, there are a 100 better movies whichever way you look

Funny parts throughout

Author: phd_travel from United States
8 August 2012

This movie has funny moments especially in the beginning (the scenes with Linda Lavin are priceless). When they move to the commune there are some painful parts like the mirror monologue but the laughs more or less continue till the end.

The acting is good with a likable cast. Jennifer Aniston delivers a typical competent performance. Paul Rudd looks younger than her. He's good with the material he is given. Justin Theroux is quite versatile and almost unrecognizable.

It didn't perform very well at the box office. It didn't find it's own special niche like the Hangover or Bridesmaids but I think it had about as many good laughs.

What a piece of garbage

Author: Fearinahandfullofdust from United States
23 July 2012

I literally sat through the entire movie and didn't laugh once. Could we stop with the Forgetting Sarah Marshall clichés, like the man forced to watch the woman participate in rituals that are sexual in nature? It wasn't funny then, and it isn't funny now. What a horribly written waste of time. How many times exactly do Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston plan on playing the same characters? I cannot accurately put into words how disappointed I am that I was talked into enduring this movie. Please save yourselves the misery of watching the careers of the cast slowly drown before your very eyes. Somehow its a stand-alone movie with all the quality of a straight-to-DVD sequel, and it left me full of remorse for the hour and a half I lost.

Wonder how this film got green lighted

Author: movieman_kev from United States
17 July 2012

When George and Linda both get fired at the same time. Him from his job at a financial firm and her (in one of the films more absurd moments) getting her ultra-liberal documentary passed on by HBO. They find themselves at a hippie commune run by Seth, which they initially fall in love with.

This film started off OK, but the relatively few laughs at the beginning tapered off pretty rapidly leaving a rather sour taste in my mouth. I wanted to like this film, it just didn't seem to be in the cards. This made the marginally good "Role Models" seem like a comedy classic by comparison.

My grade: D

Not to shabby, but not Kevin smith funny

Author: CumClarity from Canada
28 March 2012

I went into this movie without expectations and I always find that helps you enjoy a movie more.

This movie over all was funny with laugh out load moments. People in the theatre were snorting and chuckling at some parts.

There were moments when I thought the jokes went on a little too long, or weren't that funny but it was very rare.

Paul Rudd was great, and Jennifer Anniston really was too. I haven't seen Justin Theroux in anything else, and while he was alright I wouldn't say he stole the show. In fact i thought there were a couple of moments I would have appreciated if he hadn't been in them at all.

Alan Alda was hilarious, and so was Malin Akerman and a few others.

My favourite scene is probably the one from the trailer when they get chased by a naked guy, a scene with narcotics in it.

I very much liked this movie although I wouldn't rank it up there with mallrats or anything.

If you like Saturday night live, you will probably like this too

Waste of Time

Author: Ace Rawrman from United States
7 August 2012

I like to compare it to "Did You Hear About the Morgans?" plot line trying to be "Dinner for Schmucks" with forced humor that wasn't really funny. I thought the other two were watchable at some degree, but this movie was just a waste of time. There was no character development, no character attachment, just a story line I can tell you in under 5 minutes and you'd be thankful that I saved you an hour and a half of your life. This might work a TV series, but for an hour and half it went no where. Might be even worth watch the other two movies back to back then watch this one. I don't know what else to say other then this movie was a waste of time and you should not even attempt to watch it unless you are a huge fan of one of the actors.

Farming is simple

Author: frauhicks-1 from United States
28 February 2012

The premise of the movie, that two city folks stumble upon a hippie commune when they want to stay at a bed and breakfast (like people short on cash would even stop at a bed and breakfast rather than a Motel 8 or sleep in the car) and that the residents are stoned all the time yet are able to live off the land so adeptly that life is easy breezy all the time is really stupid. If that was where the laughs came from, maybe the movie would make a little sense. But the laughs are actually vulgar, tiresome, and heehaw the male lead thinks whoopee how great and the female is not sure and then of course the tables are turned. Who would have seen that coming? Don't waste your time.

An actually funny comedy, refreshing LOL

Author: Ron Mike Gehret (toanman) from United States
22 February 2012

I have not seen a good comedy for so long, but my friend and I were cracking up even after we left the theater. The story line was creative, the pace kept me interested ( I am easily bored), not a bunch of hot models but beautiful characters. Jennifer is awesome, and you can tell they had fun making this movie. There were twists and turn that totally surprised me. I pay attention to the audience as well, every where, spontaneous laughter, the nudity shocking but not offensive. Alan Alda had an important role, funny yet endearing. this reminded me so much of home, and my crazy family. So many scenes could have been filmed in the mountains of Eastern Washington, I am now homesick. I am already telling friend they have to see Wanderlust.

Let's Join A Commune!

Author: treeskier802 from United States
27 February 2012

Oh man, was this a fun movie. I didn't have high expectations when I decided to check out Wanderlust. I didn't know all that much about the movie. It turned out to be the type of comedy I really enjoy--one that is a new, fresh idea.

Rudd and Aniston are New Yorkers who must leave the city to pursue less expensive living arrangements. The move to Atlanta to live with Rudd's obnoxious brother, but on the way, get side tracked at a commune.

The commune seems like a fun change for Rudd, but Aniston is unsure. As it turns out, Aniston likes the commune more than Rudd.

There is so much crazy humor in this movie that I don't know where to begin. There is a scene where Rudd is talking to himself in a mirror that brought my girlfriend and I to tears. The entire theater was rolling in laughter...and to me THAT is always a lot of fun.

If you like comedies and don't mind crude humor, do yourself a favor and go see this movie in the theaters. This comedy is a must see at the theater. I think because of the nature of the humor, it is best viewed when you can laugh along with a big crowd.

I rate this 9 of 10 stars. Absolutely hilarious!

Good concept but the execution was just bad and unfunny

Author: Zaphod from United States
9 March 2013

Well ,Wanderlust is another one of those movies with a good concept which was simply going down the drain because of its bad execution.

The first thing coming to mind while watching this movie is the fact that it's simply not funny in every possible way...the whole thing needed some decent editing on the writing: jokes (which were vulgar) ,sequence of events (really boring...nothing really interesting happened during the movie...) ,characters (needed some more character development...) ,and script.

In addition to that ,the movie really missed one of its most important points: showing how uncomfortable George and Linda are feeling in the Elysium community and how they're dealing with it during their everyday life... and besides ,I think that the casting of Paul Rudd was obviously wrong- someone like Ben Stiller ,Owen Wilson or Vince Vaughn would've been much better as George.

In conclusion: waste of time ,unfunny ,crapfest.

Entertaining

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
18 July 2012

This film is about a couple who lost their recently purchased apartment in Manhattan. They go to a commune for shelter, and find their lives turned upside down.

"Wanderlust" is a funny comedy. It is often over the top, outrageous and sometimes makes no sense, but that is why it is funny. I am a little surprised to see Jennifer Aniston in this film because there are scenes which requires her to do grossed out things (involving a leaf), but I am glad she did because it is so funny. The commune has interesting characters, they are hilarious as well. Though it is clear how the plot will progress, it is still entertaining to watch. "Wanderlust" certainly serves the purpose of creating laughters and brainless fun.

Not terrible

Author: pocky fdadada
19 July 2012

I don't like Jennifer Aniston movies, and the whole hippy commune thing has been overdone a little in films, but that being said, I did really enjoy the movie. The main plot was a little predictable but you never really knew how the characters were going to act, so that provided a lot of humor. There were one or two scenes that did the "family guy" thing, ie, going on far too long and just being uncomfortable. The mirror scene I laughed at the first minute, cringed the next, and felt sick towards the end lol... Although because of this set up I found the credits out-take scene of this hilarious. I wouldn't have recommended seeing this in the cinema, but it's funny enough in places with a heartwarming end.

C*ck Soup

Author: ieatdogsforbreakfast from South Africa
15 June 2012

There's one line in the movie where the male lead says "is there anywhere in this you can go without getting a c*ck in your face Well that just about sums up most of these types of comedies Really what the F*ck willywood sorry Hollywood is everyone gay there or what Is c*ck really that funny to anyone apart from retarded teen age girls for gods sake we live in a world with the internet there really is no shock value to this kind of bullsh*t If its shock your after (because it cant be laughs) then show some vulva Its never been done in a Hollywood movie But of coarse we no gays hate p*ssy Oh and by the way the movie is sh*te

Jennifer, stop making movies!!!

Author: m-afrodith from Germany
14 June 2012

I hated the movie. It was wasting my time watching stoned people having boring parties and boring conversations. Annistons performance(?) was awful. She is not fresh anymore. She was badly pretending to ...act! I hardly remember another worse performance. She must give up making movies (she does not act anyway). After 30 minutes I walked out!!! I could not believe in my eyes... I saw the movie in a sneak preview yesterday in Berlin, so I didn't know what I supposed to see. Otherwise, I would have definitely not chosen it for ruining my evening. I want my money back, I am really angry with those who showed me a really bad movie!!! Do not make the mistake to give your precious money to that ...thing!!! That was comedy or something?? I couldn't get it!

Funny and wildly inappropriate (in a good way)

Author: Colin Douglas Brackenridge
26 February 2012

Very Role Model-esque in the humour here. Yes there was very crude moments but they were funny. Also lots of references to previous Aptow movies with scenes of the commune folks singing the faux Wings song from Role Models. If you enjoyed Role Models you will enjoy this as well. Paul Rudd was at his best with his unique sarcastic comedy. Jennifer Aniston was surprisingly funny, since I found her as annoying as anything in every other comedy she's done. Alan Alda's character is a funny side bit and very reminiscent of this actor's comedic ability shown in MASH. I would say the only thing missing from this would have been a Jane Lynch character since we had the quite a few of the Role Model cast in this.

This could have been a good movie

Author: tiredoftry from United States
3 March 2012

Take out all the unneeded cursing and unneeded full frontal male (and some female) nudity, and you will have about 10 minutes of decent movie. This movie could have easily been much much better. With the nudity, it is interesting that they only showed the one middle aged man and a bunch of much older people, nude and running - very bad and unneeded) and did not show the younger women much at all.

To top it off, when I saw one of the scenes (where the nudist is caring in the bags) from the trailer and noticed they actually changed the words in the trailer so they could air it at any time during the day. Cheap and again another unneeded change. If they can't show the actual wording, do 'fake' it.

Redoing the wording and removing the unneeded nudity would have been very easy taken this movie into a highly rated comedy that could have easily been given a PG 17 rating rather than R. About the R, when did full frontal (and lots of it) nudity move into being an R rating. While there were no scenes where you saw people actually having sex, it should have been rated higher than an R in some way.

One of the dirtiest Rated R Movies I've Ever Seen

Author: Josh Broudy from United States
24 February 2012

Look, this movie is just not for everybody. I personally liked, but I know a lot of people aren't going to like lots of male genitalia in front of their faces.

George and Linda area New York couple who are extremely poor, as George gets laid off. On the way down to live his brother, the couple stay in a commune named Elysium for the night.

Theere were many positives for this movie. The cast was fantastic, as Justin Theroux was great in his role as the lead hippie. Of course, having a good script helps too. We new it would be a good one from the same guys who wrote Role Models.

Paul Rudd played his usual character. Middle aged, laid back white guy. They gave him some REALLY dirty lines to say. Jennifer Aniston was suited for this Rated R comedy much better than Horrible Bosses. I thought Malin Akerman could have had a bigger part. Alan Alda had a somewhat big part, which I was surprised.

The negatives were that it simply didn't need to be as dirty as it was. Their was some grotesque male nudity that just didn't need to be there, but at the same time, you know what you are signing up for.

Ultimately, this is going to do horribly at the box office. But I'm pretty sure this movie was meant to be some sort of cult classic. It doesn't quite get to that status, but it was an above average comedy.

wtf

Author: jimmybeachbum from United States
2 March 2012

I've read the reviews from others and I must have been watching another movie because the one I saw was absolutely awful... there were 6 people in the movie when it started and none after about 3/4ths of it... I was the last one to walk out.. I didn't laugh once... pretty corny actually..I'm not sure what the purpose of Jennifer Anniston doing this movie was.. I think that once she sits down and watches it she will see that there really is nothing funny about this movie... even the premise is flawed.. who lives in a commune nowadays.. do the producers really expect us to believe that two city slickers from New York would pack everything up and drive down to Atlanta after losing a job?? and who in their right mind would go to a place like this anyway??This movie will go down as one of the worst of the year and the ones that reviewed it favorably and thought it was funny,well I'm not sure about them

Not a Whole Lot Worth Noting

Author: bdgill12 from United States
25 February 2012

Whether good or bad, love or hate, movies should always elicit a reaction; the stronger the better in my book. When I come out of a theater, I want to have an opinion of the film I just saw and I want to be bubbling over with comments to process and compile into a review. As such, one of the worst traits a film can have is a lack of noteworthy content. If I cannot muster up a few hundred words on a given film, then I can't exactly give a hearty recommendation. Such is the case with Wanderlust.

Life isn't going well for George (Paul Rudd) and Linda (Jennifer Aniston). Just days after paying too much for a small New York apartment, George's company goes under and Linda's new business idea is wrecked. Jobless and penniless, the couple heads to Atlanta where George has a job waiting for him, courtesy of his obnoxious older brother (Ken Marino). On the way down, however, they stop in at a remote bed and breakfast which turns out to be a commune. Led by a charismatic free spirit named Seth (Justin Theroux), this group of hippies have embraced a simpler way of life that comes complete with all the amenities and ideals you might expect of such a community. Intrigued by the happiness the group exudes, George and Linda decide to move into the commune for a two-week trial run. Shenanigans ensue.

Most of what I liked about Wanderlust boiled down to my affection for the leads, Rudd and Aniston. Rudd is one of the most likable, perpetually enjoyable comedic actors in the field today and he always manages to come across as a bright spot even in a bad movie. I think Rudd's charm comes as a result of his ability to bridge the gap between nerd and cool guy; he doesn't exactly belong in either camp and yet can walk in both. As always, Rudd gives an endearing and appealing performance here and exudes a natural, everyman charisma. I'm pretty sure several of the funnier scenes within Wanderlust are the product of Rudd's improvised banter and as such, this film owes a great deal to its star. Aniston, too, is a favorite of mine (despite some of truly terrible films) who has proved to possess a comedic touch when given something to work with. Her chemistry with Rudd is solid and while her role isn't as well developed as Rudd's, she does her job well and the pair makes for a solid combination.

The other elements of Wanderlust, however, are lackluster. The narrative contains a few promising story lines but they aren't fleshed out with much pizazz. There are plenty of laughs but most of them come from easy, "low hanging fruit"-type jokes that get old as the film progresses. And most of the supporting characters are as one-note as they come; each brings a few laughs here and there when they're in their respective elements but then run out of gas and become tiresome. Theroux, Malin Ackerman, Kathryn Hahn, and several others have their moments but none of them ever really get moving or show any signs of development. This lack of depth and development results in the feeling that Wanderlust is not so much a film as it is a bundle of individual scenes, vignettes if you will, tied together by George and Linda in loose, unsatisfying fashion.

There's nothing inherently or irrevocably wrong with Wanderlust but outside of a few laughs and the appeal of the leads, there's nothing truly right about it, either. It simply is and that lack of significance makes for an overly ho-hum experience.

Please see my reviews at thesoapboxoffice.blogspot.com

Wanderlust

Author: Jake Coffey from United States
27 February 2012

So, I saw Wanderlust the day it opened. The trailers, as everyone knows, just looks stupid. But, the movie, being Judd Apatow and all, is not that stupid.

George and Linda move to Atlanta for a better opportunity, until they stumble upon a love commune. Note: Love communes are not nudists communes. Though, there is a nudist.

This movie has a good cast. I thought Justin Theroux was really good as a hippy-ish guy, trying to make Jennifer Aniston love him.

And lets face it, this will be the closest we will ever get to see Jennifer Aniston boobs, okay? So, stop complaining, it will NEVER happen.

Best comedy ever? Hell no. It is not a spectacular movie, but to me, it is just a refreshing movie that you can watch and laugh at after a hard day's work.

Dry humor at its best

Author: estimatedprophet-301-118446 from GA
24 February 2012

I love the humor in this movie, it is very dry with subtle irony mixed in. It is a much better film than many critics have given it credit for. If you enjoyed Wet Hot American Summer, then you are sure to enjoy this one as well. Often, this type of humor can be missed if you take the movie too seriously.

Rudd and Aniston work well together with plenty of other talent in the cast you'll likely recognize. But it is all the secondary characters that really keep this movie interesting. David Wain does an excellent job managing these characters as the movie plot can bring about dramatically different sets and character types.

Awkward blend of sitcom and film

Author: Hollywoodshack from United States
30 July 2012

For those of you who've held out for the DVD like I did and wanted to see what everyone was talking about in the movie, you might be let down. Talking about it is the problem. George gives a long monologue of different ways to have sex with the girl in the commune, and talks her away from him. There were bursts of slapstick toward the end, but it all felt like a TV sitcom for Jennifer Aniston to star in after Friends. I guess they could call the spin off Phoebe's Story in honor of the hip character who liked to play songs on her guitar. I found George's rival for Linda's love, played by Justin Theroux, to be the most vulgar one dimensional villain I've seen in a long time. The other commune members all have the depth of character which looks like they've changed into costume after missing a day eating hamburgers at McDonald's. It was funny like pictures I'd take on a camera you throw away after one use. Nothing stood out worth seeing over again. But the shallow prudish narcissism was uncomfortable and worth repeating about how awful that was: blur blocked topless scenes, etc.

Eh, another Judd Apatow Rom-Com!!!!!!

Author: jaxbubba from THE FARIS REEL on Facebook
12 June 2012

Another "cute" little rom-com for the Judd Apatow Production studios. However, this little film does not possess any of the punch of its predecessors. In this go around, Paul Ruud (George) and Jennifer Anniston (Linda) star was New York Yuppies that have recently lost everything that they own. Forced to depart NYC for financial reasons, George must coward down and accept employment with is older brother (played wonderfully by Ken Marino). En route from NYC to Atlanta, George and Linda stumble upon a hippie run Bed and Breakfast called Elysium, which many would consider a "commune"; however, these inhabitants call an "intentional community". After a fight with his brother, George and Linda flee the confines of modern civilization, and elect to spend a two (2) week trial as commune inhabitants.

The movie is very "cute", it's your typical rom-com layout. Boy has girl, boy loses girl, boy needs to get girl back. However, this film is neither overly funny, nor diabolical in plot. You basically know everything that's going to happen in this film within the first fifteen (15) of the film.

I love the casting, and I will note that the chemistry between Ruud and Anniston up on screen really did work!!!! I really enjoyed the commune leader, Seth (Justin Theroux's character) for ¾ of the film; however, I no way believe that HIS CHARACTER, would ever do what the script called for him to do in this film. And its this last ¼ of the film, that is the most disturbing to watch.

All in all, the film is everything that you have come to expect in your typical rom-com movie. Save your money, and wait for the DVD; and I would recommend watching this film in the comfort of your home. The perfect Saturday Night Chick Flick Movie Date film!!!! PLEASE SEE MORE OF MY REVIEWS ON FB @ "THE FARIS REEL"

you wanna know why you should see this movie OK read this

Author: armanut86 from Ukraine
7 June 2012

I'm going to say this again i watch two movies per day in a year (dvd or cinema)OK so listen carefully if you wanna know this movie worth watching I'm going you tell you"give it a shot but don't expect very much" there is very funny thing or special that I'm keeping seeing in it $ in this year movies naked man and woman oh my gosh seriously,,well you better go and see this one because there are lots of nudity in it which is weird beside all of this its jennifer aniston people and she is always cute ,,well finally i think this movie worth watching but just once i gave you some reason you can go and discover the others thank you for reading these i hope its been useful.

a pointless movie

Author: WatchedAllMovies from United States
30 June 2012

I watched the first 10 minutes or so, which seemed like a promising opening for a movie. Then when I see the naked man and the overturned car, I suddenly lost interest.

For the rest of the movie, I watched it at 10 to 60x speed, stopping only when something looked interesting, which turned out to be very few stops.

The movie seems pointless. They must be banking on Jennifer Aniston to make a pointless movie interesting, but it doesn't work for me. She is no longer attractive to look at, especially in a silly movie like this.

If I need to see a bunch of pointless jokes, I watch a late night comedy show. When I watch a movie, I expect an interesting story.

Frequently hilarious fish-out-of water, high-concept comedy; Rudd & Aniston shine

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
12 March 2012

WANDERLUST (2012) *** Paul Rudd, Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux, Malin Akerman, Alan Alda, Ken Marino, Joe Lo Truglio, Kathryn Hahn, Kerry Kenney, Lauren Ambrose, Michaela Watkins, Jordan Peele, Linda Lavin, Jessica St. Clair, Todd Barry. Frequently hilarious fish-out-of water, high-concept comedy: dissatisfied NYC Yuppie couple Rudd and Aniston find themselves out-of-luck in The Big Apple and wind up in a hippie-dippy commune in this highly engaging comedy of errors with a fantastic comedic ensemble including Theroux as the group's defacto touchie-feelie ringleader and Marino as Rudd's a-hole bro. Rudd continues to do the side-of-the-mouth sarcasm with elan and Aniston has her juiciest role on screen since "The Good Girl". (DIR: David Wain)

Grief Or Madness

Author: cultfilmfreaksdotcom from Orange County, CA
25 February 2012

How many things can weird, overly-openly-honest hippies do to make an average, city-bred couple feel uncomfortable? Well, about as many things as make the audience uncomfortable – and that's not such a terrible thing if Judd Apatow's producing. This has his signature over-the-top bodily function humor written, drawn and painted all over it. Story centers on Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston who, after both losing their jobs and driving to Rudd's obnoxious money-loving brother's house, happen upon a bed and breakfast harboring the oddest lot of hippies you'll ever experience.

Going far beyond the clichés of pot smoking and artsy-fartsy naval-gazing, these people watch you go to the bathroom, exchange partners, and give birth right on the porch. The residents are too silly to be real, especially Justin Theroux as the picture-perfect bearded leader: a cross between Charles Manson and a game show host.

But this is really about Rudd's constantly shocked reactions to the craziness occurring around him. With an old-school vulnerable nice guy humor the likes of Richard Benjamin, Albert Brooks, and Alan Alda (the latter playing the commune's dazed owner), Rudd has enough charm to rise above a somewhat (if not deliberately) banal script. And while Aniston is, once again, playing herself, she and Rudd make a good couple who happen upon a gratuitous Twilight Zone episode that, while not being very funny, sure isn't boring.

For More Reviews: www.cultfilmfreaks.com

This was hilarious

Author: Steven from Columbus, Ohio
25 February 2012

Wanderlust is a hilarious film with some interesting characters and a funny story. The film stars Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston as George and Linda, a happily married couple who just bought a new studio apartment in New York. After George loses his job and Linda gets passed on by HBO, they reluctantly move to Atlanta to live with George's brother.

On the way there, they stop at what they think is a bed and breakfast place, only to find out that they have stumbled upon a hippie community. After being annoyed about how his brother is treating, George suggests that they go back to the community, where they decide that is where they should be.

The story is a fun one and is well worth the time. Director David Wain, whose previous film was the Paul Rudd/Seann William Scott vehicle Role Models, does a great job of keeping a consistent pace and letting the actors make creative and funny characters.

Out of the supporting the cast, the standout is Justin Theroux as Seth. Alan Alda is a riot as one of the co-founders of the commune. Joe Lo Truglio gets some laughs as a nudist wine maker/novelist. Malin Akerman, Kerri Kenney-Silver, Lauren Ambrose, and Kathryn Hahn all do fine in their roles, but none of them stand out.

Intentional Community gives me hope for a sustainable future

Author: Mandy Creighton from Rutledge, MO, United States
29 February 2012

Wanderlust seemed to depict the consumer culture as a place I want to flee from as well - job I hate, SUV's, cheating husbands, rude children, racist bosses, poor work conditions and plastic neighborhoods with huge houses and no trees. I remember, now, why I gave up my car and house for a tent and bicycle and headed out in search of a more sustainable way of life! The sense of connection, freedom and fun that the two main characters experienced at the commune often felt like a dream life come true. From the nude grape stomping to the huge fruit and vegetable stand to the sense of vulnerability and transparency (though sometimes too much...no doors on the bathrooms? that's a little much!), Elysium Bed and Breakfast seemed like a place I would surely want to visit and would likewise find a lot of inner transformation.

Though the stereotypes got a little old after awhile, as did some of the forced humorous moments, I left the theater feeling refreshed knowing that each of us can do what we love and create the life we have dreamed of. What is your dream? To watch my dream, visit www.withinreachmovie.com, a documentary film about my partner and I on a 6,500 mile bicycle journey to visit and document 100 sustainable communities around the US!

Although Paul Rudd carries this film with laughs, it falls a bit short of the best comedies.

Author: WeWatchedAMovie Mike from United States
24 February 2012

Wanderlust is a funny movie. Not a bad waste of your time, but it's just not going to make the list of other great Paul Rudd comedies like Anchorman and 40 year old virgin because the rest of the cast just didn't crack you up in the same way. One scene in fact with Rudd will have you scream laughing and bent over in hilarious pain. But aside from Rudd, the other characters were okay. Just okay. Wanderlust unravels a bit at the end and just wraps up in too tight of a bow to be believable anymore. Lots of male nudity, whatever than means to you! If your going to the movies to see a comedy then this is your pick. Otherwise, wait for DVD as this will make you laugh, just enough to satisfy but not enough to remember.

Utter Rubbish

Author: Justine Goodwin from Newcastle England
13 June 2012

The beginning started really funny with some genuinely laugh out loud moments... But within 20 minutes the entire movie turned upside down with crass moments and extremely unfunny one liners. I was really disappointed as I love both Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd as comedic actors but both failed miserably in this film. There is a lot of unwarranted nudity.. (men's bits dangling in your face). Followed by uncomfortable pointless scenes. Don't waste two hours of your life on this film as you WILL be so annoyed with yourself for not listening to my advise .

2/10 max! Go and rent a different DVD

quite bad at best

Author: jsorenson777 from Japan
7 June 2012

If you are addicted to movies, this could be a cure.

An unfunny comedy with a deep and accidental message that we are devolving.

Writing, acting, directing, editing -- mediocre at best. The characters are all superficial, unimportant and unbelievable. Some of the scenes were unsettling rather than comedic and some were actually painful to watch.

It was a long 90 minutes -- time wasted that will not be returned.

This thing will disappear quickly, if we are lucky. If not there will be sequels.

Good people living with hippies with no intelligent thoughts or humour

Author: napierslogs from Ontario, Canada
4 March 2012

George (Paul Rudd) and Linda (Jennifer Aniston) are practical and realistic people in love. They can't afford to live in New York City anymore so they are off to Atlanta. On the way they run into some hippies, their first instinct is to run away. Unfortunately, George's brother-in-law is an inappropriate asshole so they are back to the hippie commune, even though first instincts are always right.

The first of many problems is the title. Wanderlust means an innate desire to live on the road, to be always travelling, never staying, and for no real reason. Hence, lusting for wandering – wanderlust. George and Linda leave New York City out of necessity and travel (basically straight) to the hippie commune. They are not wanderers. The hippies live in a home that they own. They never leave and they never want to. They are not wanderers. The producers just wanted a catchy title and money. I do not like that.

I do like Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston. A lot. I did laugh at Rudd's occasional moments of physical comedy, but that was it. The rest of the movie was lame sex jokes. Remember this was produced by Judd Apatow but it was not written or directed by him. It was missing a touch of sophistication and consistency to the characters and a level of human understanding and empathy. This was movie was brought to you by some guys who watched a Judd Apatow movie and then while smoking pot liked the idea of free love, man.

I don't like hippies, although I can tolerate the harmless kind. These hippies weren't real hippies, they were all just a conglomeration of all the various stereotypes. Which is too bad because I like Kathryn Hahn and she can play a hippie (see Our Idiot Brother). This hippie commune is populated with a leader who says it's not a commune but an "intentional community" because when we say commune it makes people think of hippies sitting around smoking pot and playing guitar. Don't worry Rudd just looks at him with his sarcastic smirk (as I said, he was the good part). The other good part, which proves how poorly this was made, was Alan Alda's character. He bought the place in 1971 with 9 other people all with the false hippie ideals of nature, sharing and free love. What we don't see enough of is how he is no longer a hippie. If they wanted to add an intelligent thought to the movie, or some good acting, they could have done it there.

I guess I'm going to have to settle for Rudd and Aniston's previous collaboration "The Object of My Affection" which even after countless of viewings is funnier than "Wanderlust".

City couple gets stuck in the sticks with the Bohemian hicks...the pits!

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
4 March 2012

Unemployed New York couple lose the mortgage on their 'microloft' and travel by car to Atlanta (to work in the Porta-Potty industry with the husband's obnoxious brother); on their way, a car accident leaves the marrieds stranded at a hippie commune in the woods where, initially, the free-living, free-loving lifestyle appeals to the emotionally-stressed and financially-strapped twosome. An alleged comedy, co-written, directed, and produced by David Wain--who apparently had help, though it doesn't show. Full of loathsome, offensive characters and jokes, edited in a sledgehammer fashion. Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston do have some appealing moments in the film's opening, but it's a long road downhill from there, what with an abundance of in-your-face toilet humor which may have been somewhat more successful had the rest of this disaster not been covered in flop sweat. * from ****

Save your money!

Author: mikeld369 from Atlanta
6 March 2012

there are SOME funny spots but the sheer # of F-bombs totally ruins this - I swear, there were fewer F-bombs in "Platoon"! and there's even one scene where the guy says F-U to a 10-yr old girl! COME ON! GROW UP ... and if there was ANY hype to presenting a 'pro-nudist' perspective - well, you can just about forget it (altho the 'nudist author comes close as he's a good guy presenting a good 'example') but the crashing car scene causing 6 or 7 nudists to "run for their lives in slow motion" was the ONLY "nudist scene" lasting more than 3.5 seconds! SAVE you money - this was way over-hyped because of the 'couple' protagonists!

Just awful!

Author: peace5491 from United States
27 February 2012

My husband and I do enjoy comedies. We loved The Hangover and recently 21 Jump Street, but this movie was pathetic. I really thought it was going to be good by the first 1/2 hour of laughs. Well boy did the movie go downhill fast. In the beginning of the movie, the scenes when they were contemplating purchasing a 'microloft' were cute. The dialog and the singing in the car was hysterical. Other than that, we were sorry that we bothered to attend the screening. And there was no reason for having Alan Alda in the movie at all. My husband and I kept looking at each other as so many people around us were laughing throughout the movie. I am so glad that I didn't pay for this and would love to have the hours back that we wasted on line and viewing it.

Is anyone here tired of Jennifer Anniston yet?

Author: flakfan from face of the earth
25 February 2012

Tired of Jennifer this and Jennifer that. Her crap stinks like everyone else's does. If Jennifer was to do a nude scene like Monica Bellucci, Heather Graham or Charlotte Rampling does, then it might be worth seeing. Not gonna happen.

And Alan Alda, I mean ALANNNNNNNNNNNNN AWLDA with a pronounced nasal banality lilt, is enough to ruin any film. Who said he is talented and funny? He is a schmuck. Boring, snobbish, condescending aloofness, talks through his Yankee nose and just all around disgusting to hear and see on the screen.

Paul Rudd, he's funny. Too bad he's in this movie with Jennifer and Alannnnnnnnnnnn AWLDA.

An abundance of crude ruses overpowers the eccentricities of the characters.

Author: GoneWithTheTwins from www.GoneWithTheTwins.com
23 February 2012

These days, a Judd Apatow production merely signifies a series of vulgar jokes paired with copious amounts of nudity (more male than female). Wanderlust could have been more. Sadly, the film veers off onto an unpredictable and foolish path that finds its characters' motives and settlements clashing with the marginally likable setup. The fish-out-of-water premise is a solid one and Wanderlust is not without laughs; but an abundance of crude ruses overpowers the eccentricities of the characters while hit-or-miss humor fills pointless sequences that fail to move the plot forward. The energy of Wanderlust's promising beginning fizzles quickly and the production ends up mimicking its confused and restless protagonists for the majority of the runtime.

Just as New York couple George (Paul Rudd) and Linda (Jennifer Aniston) finally commit to purchasing an apartment, sudden unemployment forces them to give up their new dream and head to Atlanta to stay with George's brother. Stopping at a wayside bed and breakfast, the couple discovers Elysium, a free-spirited commune where peace, love and happiness abound – as does a host of bizarre nudists and hippies, led by the brusque but eloquent Seth (Justin Theroux). Seduced by their carefree lifestyle, Linda elects to stay, but George isn't as easily dazzled and soon becomes vexed by the group's unorthodox and outlandish customs.

There's a lot missing from Wanderlust. It feels like 30 minutes or more have been noticeably expunged from key areas that would have established characters and running jokes (made more apparent from the theatrical trailer, which shows several scenes that never make it into the final cut). The conclusion isn't based on anything previously hinted at, the antagonist is appropriated without warning just to provide villainy, and abrupt decisions are made by unprovoked characters, resulting in a gaping lack of realism. The initial proposition is a one-note gag that sets up potential but is never given a chance to blossom. Every time locations or characters are introduced, many are ignored, forgotten, or left devoid of humorous implications. Even the most obvious involvement, such as George's brother manning a Porta-Potty company, never gets an opportunity to present the simplest, go-to gross-out skit that inevitably rears its head when dealing with carriageable sanitation units.

Thick, palpable sarcasm permeates all of Paul Rudd's lines while Aniston is utilized primarily for physical comedy. The opening scene is well done, with creative editing, weird expressions and montage, but after about fifteen minutes or so, the humor begins to dwindle rapidly. With expected stereotypes and generic sidekicks that include an obnoxious brother, a foul-mouthed kid, a crazy old man, a longhaired mantra-spewing hippie guru, and a young blonde female with evanescent inhibitions, nothing particularly unique is submitted. Nonsense takes over when verbal comedy ceases, and uncomfortable or disgustingly awkward situations shoulder those moments when absurdity stops working. It's troublesome when end credit bloopers are funnier than anything in the film. Based on early screenings and gossip, the only thing Wanderlust is likely to be remembered for is Jennifer Aniston's nude scene, which was filmed but then removed from the theatrical version.

- The Massie Twins (GoneWithTheTwins.com)

Like the prosthetic penis, it's funny at first but in hindsight you'll realize it was always limp.

Author: TheSquiss
17 June 2012

Wanderlust is a yo-yo film.

I like the idea of yo-yoing. The first drop and return is thrilling but thereafter, unless in the hands of an expert, it peters out. The drops become deeper and slower, the returns never quite making it until finally, either it gives up or you do. And so it is with Wanderlust.

Directed by David Wain, it teams Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd as a couple for the third time after a stint in Friends and The Object of My Affection. I hope this is their last film together as, on the evidence to hand, with each teaming their relationships and the quality of their work together diminish. I'd like to say it isn't their fault but they both read the script and took the pay cheque so, yes, they have to take some blame. Maybe they were struggling to pay the rent.

At greater fault, and possibly beyond forgiveness, are the producers who green-lit Wanderlust and David Wain who also co-wrote it. It's a fun idea for a light rom-com (professional couple George and Linda leave New York with nothing to show for their life's work but a car filled with boxes, a job offer with George's obnoxious brother is too much to bear so they join a hippy-ish commune on a trial basis) and has enough potential for a light, easy, pleasant waste of an evening. Unfortunately the potential is barely realized and it serves to pass only twenty minutes or so before hope of more laughter fades.

Yes, there are a few laugh-out-loud moments and some genuinely funny one-liners but far too many of the gags take so long to set up and reach the punchline that you've started counting the ceiling tiles before the film remembers to entertain again. Too many jokes are repeated, and not just once or twice, that they become tedious. It worked for Reggie Perrin, it doesn't for Wanderlust. Several jokes worked superbly in the trailer because they were tightly edited but in the full feature they bomb. Some of the alleged humour is so cringe worthy I actually hid behind my hand and had to stifle audible groans of embarrassment.

I wanted to like it. Rudd is generally a good comedic foil and Aniston has produced some fun variations of Rachel and a couple in complete contrast, not least in the superior Horrible Bosses last year. But the occasional laugh, some attractive nudity (and some not so pleasurable) and a few star names cannot compensate for the wafer-thin plot, the stereotypes, the 'damn, we've got five minutes to finish this film' attitude to the end and stodgy, lazy scripting.

Like the prosthetic penis on frequent display, you'll notice it and laugh at first but in hindsight you'll realize it was always limp.

Never Lives Up To It's Full Potential

Author: UnknownWhiteMale_Rises from United States
26 June 2012

Wanderlust has a few good moments, but it is just not that good or funny of a movie. Most of the movies problems seem to be from the product of a weak script. The film has a few very funny moments, but a lot of other moments come off as not very funny or are dragged out way too long and just become awkward or annoying. The movie also suffers from another problem that i've noticed in comedies lately which is awkward cuts right after a joke hits a punchline, which is an issue that is present a lot in the first half of the film. By the end of the film, I couldn't help but think why did this movie even need to be made because it doesn't seem like anyone behind it had any interest or passion in really making it. Overall, Wanderlust isn't terrible, but you could never see it your whole life and you wouldn't miss out on anything. If you really feel like you need to see it then rent it. Otherwise, i'd just save your time and skip it.

Aniston Ruins a Good Idea

Author: Richard Reilly (FFman@comcast.net) from Colorado
28 February 2012

When you walk into a movie by David Wain—the writer/director of Children's Hospital and Role Models—you need to prepare yourself. His humor is directed at a young audience. It also helps to be stoned. I am the right age for a movie like this, but I failed to realize I was supposed to be stoned. As a result, the drawn-out humor of this movie— although funny at first—usually went dry far too quickly.

Wanderlust is not what I expected it to be. The trailer is pretty much the first fifteen minutes of the movie. The actual plot of Wanderlust revolves around a commune that pulls in two city-folk—Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd. Paul Rudd has already proved himself to be a great actor is Wain's over-the-top movie with Role Models. Aniston has not. Her lacking acting ability has thrown many a movie into the crap pile. Unfortunately, Wanderlust is her next victim.

There are plenty of good aspects to Wanderlust. I found myself laughing several times. The problem was that the joke would continue on for several more minutes—long past its expiration. I can't help but recall a scene where Paul Rudd stands in front of a mirror talking to himself for almost five minutes. It just kept going…and going…and going.

Alan Alda was the redemptive role that brought this movie to life. As the original founder of the commune back in the 1960's, Alda plays the role of a senile man who lost a good majority of his sanity to acid. His role allows for the rest of the over-the-top script to plant its feet in reality. Where most of this movie is bland humor, Alda's character allows for a storyline to develop.

If you are stoned, this is the movie for you. If you aren't, but enjoy the humor of Adult Swim, this movie will be somewhat enjoyable (still not better than any episode of Futurama). If you aren't stoned and don't know what Adult Swim is, this is not the movie for you. 2012 has been an extremely lacking year for comedy. Hopefully we can see that change next week with Project X.

reillyreviews.wordpress.com

Go see another movie

Author: lagudafuad from Nigeria
7 June 2012

Wanderlust tries and tries to make you laugh, but with the level of profanity and the weird nudity sessions, all I felt was disgusted and I left with a bad after taste.

Wanderlust is a certified box office bomb just making 21 out of the 35 million spent on production. Filming took place mostly in Georgia, the director David Wain who is also the writer kept fans update on the production progress on his blog, but failed to tell them that they will be wasting their time if they go see the movie.

I'm not a fan of listening to critics thoroughly, although I enjoy reading their comments but I have to admit with them this movie is crap.

The movie did boast of many jokes thrown here and there, problem is none quite hit home for me, having a movie showcasing nudist and hippies and free thinking may be a good thing on paper but mix that with Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd pairing up is a bad idea, even on paper. The on-screen chemistry was not there, they looked more like cousins than a couple (arguable siblings).

The plot show cases a couple who stay together George (Paul Rudd) and Linda (Jennifer Aniston), George loses his job and Aniston who is unemployed find themselves with only one option; move in with George's egotistic brother in Atlanta.

On their way there, they had an accident and stumbled upon Elysium, a community filled with characters who don't believe in Money, Careers or Clothes. The couple found a home in this community and decides to give it a twirl.

The actors in this movie must have failed a course in acting class or either missed the class called, "How to act", all the cast except from the two leads were either over-acting or either not interested in what was going on. The directing and the get together looks like someone must have been high on cheap drugs to put it all together, as David both wrote and directed it he must have thought (while high) that using swear words and nudity will be better than using proper lines.

This is not Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston's first time of working together, they both co-starred together in 18 episodes of the sitcom "Friends" where Paul played Phoebe's love interest turned husband. Aniston has done some pretty good movies over the years before this movie was the hit "HorribleBosses" but this like "Just Go With It" (which also starred Adam Sandler) is not it at all.

Save you money save your time, go see another movie.

This movie is why i created an IMDb account

Author: thomas green from Zimbabwe
6 March 2012

HILARIOUS! holy... crap. I can barely even hold in the laughter whenever I think of this movie, which I saw twice. Funniest movie I've seen since Dumb and Dumber! haha, it's relentless. Can't wait to buy this one! wanna have a couple hour vacation? watch wanderlust. it's freakin ridiculously funny. hehehe anybody who's seen it will laugh at this: "cut two...." this movie saved 2012, and it's worth me vouching for 2012 movies in the future, as long as this is the only one in contention. I'm not kidding, go see it. oh yeah, too much male nudity, but it's not like... all the time. just a little really. some people were laughing at it though, so i can't really hate. The movie is about as deep as this review is, and as meandering.

hehe..... "suck on it."

Tacky Is As Tacky Does

Author: patsworld from United States
1 March 2012

Wanderlust….is this a test to see how gross and raunchy a movie can be before people just say enough already? Because if it is, I'm saying enough already. I adore Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston is always fun to watch. But this movie could have been so much better, so much funnier without all the gratuitous sleaze. Rudd standing in front of a mirror spouting five minutes of pure trashy, tacky talk almost made that sweet, lovable guy disgusting. If this is the best sort of film that can be made …and boy, there's been a lot of them lately…perhaps people need to be avoiding going to the theater altogether until things change. If pictures like Hugo, Descendants, Midnight in Paris, to name only a few, can be made, why is it necessary for money, time and talent to be wasted on stuff like this? There have been so many good movies made….50/50, Sherlock Holmes, The Green Lantern…I could go on for pages…but there have been so many ugly, trashy films made in the meantime. too. And I could easily name them, but why bother? Doesn't anyone look at those tacky things, or stop and really listen to them while they're being filmed, and wonder why? Who's money is being spent on them? And again, why? Perhaps if a whole lot of money was being thrown at me, I'd allow myself to sink to the level of some actors and actresses of late and be in one of these lower class pictures…but then again, maybe not. Maybe I'd think, do I want my family, the world, to remember me in something like this, and I'd be smart enough to turn down the big bucks. Some of these stars should have done that very thing. Like I said, this could have been a really cool movie…it had some funny moments…but for the most part, I'd say this was gross.

Michaela Watkins is a hysterical! You will enjoy this Film! =Funny!

Author: ccbernese
24 February 2012

This is so *funny!*! I fully enjoyed it, and continued to laugh all the way home! So many 1-liners, and scenes that crack you up! It's a great date, or rejuvenate the relationship flick! For those that say the nudity is crude- are just programmed to believe full frontal nudity, particularly men ought not exist, unless 20-something and buff! and 36D Women are just 'fine' ... it's LOL! There is no raunchy or even 'sexy' sex scenes, certainly less sexually-explicit images than any prime-time TV show in your own living room. Of course there is a lot of conversation about the topic, but again, there is far more explicit information on TV... Michaela Watkins is a RIOT! I really would love to see more of the interactions between her and Jennifer Aniston's character. Paul Rudd is consistently good! However, Michaela Watkins just made us laugh a lot!; She has got to be the most talented, yet under-rated, actress out there these days! I give [+2] = a "10" because of Michaela! (otherwise an 8.) ***enjoy!!!***

I've Just Seen This On DVD

Author: kwalker159 from United Kingdom
26 June 2012

I did not see this at the cinema and so I bought the DVD today. The extras are not up to the usual standard of a David Wain DVD, a bit scarce compared to Role Models or Wet Hot American Summer. The 5 out of 10 I give to the talented Paul Rudd. I think I laughed once or twice and it couldn't of been that funny because I can't remember the joke and I only watched it a couple of hours ago. It is criminal that Paul Rudd is doing stuff like this he deserves a whole lot better. The dirty talk bits were cringe-worthy,the rest of the cast were wasted, there was too much over acting and stupid dialogue. I think Paul Rudd is doing another movie with David Wain in the coming months,I hope it's a vast improvement on Wanderlust.

One big "meh"

Author: reneemsm from United States
20 June 2012

I definitely did laugh a few times during this. But what's really sad is that the most my husband and I laughed was at the outtakes in the credits (and of course, the bathroom mirror scene). I found myself so IRRITATED at all of the characters through the whole movie. There were times that I just wanted reach through the screen and smack someone. And there are a few scenes that are just so awkward that they make you want to shut it off. I mean, there's awkward-funny and then there's awkward-annoying. This was awkward-annoying. I really like Paul Rudd and sometimes Jennifer Aniston. And I like about 75% of Judd Appatows movies (generally the ones where he doesn't cast his wife who can't act worth a sh*t). I wanted to like this and I really do feel like the idea was good and it could have gone a different way and been a really good film. But unfortunately the script just doesn't work. Save yourself the money and time. Rent something else.

I'm gonna get it all up in you.

Author: Padraig Walsh (DiSTuRBeDx) from Rep. of Ireland
15 June 2012

The film is mediocre at best. It does try a little too hard and jokes come out flat. Granted, there are a few very funny bits in it. I enjoyed it to a point, I probably wouldn't watch it again and upon viewing, the novelty of it all wears off.

The one saving grace this film had was Paul Rudd. Anything he's in I personally think he's brilliant in and I can include this film into a long list.

Overall, there are a few funny parts but there are too many unfunny parts which drag it all down and quite frankly, could've been a lot better. Especially with such an interesting plot.

an 8 for filming it

Author: anthonymarinelli98 from Hong Kong
11 March 2012

Preview not Review I don't know this movie yet in any way except for a star or two pictured in the ad, but i'm encouraged first of all by the good reviews about a serious issue and films are meant to entertain? If they don't why go...so this seems to succeed on that front..but these kinds of themes were fictionalized at the beginning of the century in all kinds of novels i recall reading them,and it has taken time and I have put this film on my radar to beam into, as a way of living the present and as a way of seeing that old stories and good plot lines always reinvent themselves in new situations...how many really new plots are there...its the old stories with modern twists and turns,and captivating artists and that makes a film worthwhile...wanderlust empties our unconscious doesn't it??

The Jokes start to wear thin quickly.

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
5 March 2012

Big city couple George and Linda(Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston) decide to move away, after there work life has gone up in smoke. While on there travel they come across a hippie commune led by Cavin(Alan Alda). They quickly start to enjoy that lifestyle, has they really begin to settle in. But will this change be good for both them?

The problem here in the beginning for me, is that Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston where not established enough, I felt they where just through in at random. Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston are just doing there thing like they do in comedies. But the jokes just overdue itself to the point where it's not funny anymore. Alan Alda does alright with the dialog he's giving. Malin Ackerman should have been giving more to do here. All in all, not an all terrible film, but not great either.

Misses at every set piece

Author: John DeSando (jdesando@columbus.rr.com) from Columbus, Ohio
3 March 2012

Satirizing the '70's hippy syndrome with a contemporary twist is laudable, but Wanderlust misses at every turn, or set piece, as no serious attempt at depth is apparent. To juxtapose contemporary shallow and money-centered values with the now ancient virtuousness mixed with free love is laudable but here terribly flawed. Besides, although it would like to be called a screwball comedy, most of us would see the slow delivery of flat jokes as just screwing a hopeful audience.

Linda (Jennifer Aniston) and George (Paul Rudd) need a simpler life as the Manhattan couple lose their jobs and retreat to a commune and sometime nudist colony called Elysium. Not only are the denizens not particularly fetching in their altogether, the set pieces and dialogue are lame to sub-lame throughout.

The satire of our need to release ourselves from the bonds of fast-paced Manhattan-like living to a relaxed land of no obligations rarely evokes even mild laughter. The regular appearance of writer Wayne (Joe Lo Truglio) with his penis dangling frequently in George's face reveals the weak gag life of the film, or should I say it provokes gagging? George's attempt to defecate while communers talk to him in the doorless bathroom is as good an example of the privacy motif gone bad.

'Wanderlust' overcomes meandering plot with quirky characters and organic humor

Author: Movie_Muse_Reviews from IL, USA
25 February 2012

The humor of "Wanderlust" and hippie communes share a similar mantra: embrace it or get the heck out. "Role Models" director David Wain and comedian Ken Marino have written a genuinely funny movie, only one that's kind of pasted together like a spontaneous collage of humorous characters and moments rather than strung together with any notion of a compelling story.

In that sense, it's almost a miracle "Wanderlust" works at all. A chance encounter with a hippie bed and breakfast and an impulsive decision to live free of social constructs hardly qualifies for conflict-resolution storytelling, but several colorful characters and a pair of likable leads maintain our curiosity as to what might happen next.

George (Paul Rudd) and Linda (Jennifer Aniston) have just purchased an apartment in New York City. Days later, George finds himself jobless thanks to an FBI investigation shutting down his company and Linda fails to successfully pitch her hard-hitting penguin documentary to HBO. They then head for Georgia to stay with George's successful brother (Ken Marino) and his family, but after a night's stay in "Elysium," they determine that a little detachment could be a good thing.

Although rarely the source of humor, Aniston reminds us she's an effortless leading lady that can roll with any kind of comedy. Rudd offers the usual charms and some dynamite improv. A scene where he psychs himself up in the mirror could be considered one of his best ever. It certainly ranks as the film's most hysterical moment.

As for the ensemble at large, Elysium teems with curious characters, including a nudist winemaker/aspiring author (Joe Lo Truglio), a spiritually virile classical guitar player that everyone adores (Justin Theroux) and a free-love yoga teacher (Malin Ackerman) among others. Rather than being pure stereotypes of hippies and eccentrics, the actors genuinely embody their characters. Not every bit is funny, but few lapse into unfunny territory—that is so long as Wain's mix of deadpan and obscene humor works for you.

George and Linda's two-week trial run puts their marriage to the test of course, but little of that matters. In a way it works, because inserting straight scenes with the intent of drumming up the marital conflict would have marred the pacing, not to mention been remarkably unoriginal. On the other hand, it's tough to feel anything when the couple is at odds over whether they should have a sexually liberated marriage. So long as their attempt to do so yields comic results (and it sure does), who cares?

Oddly enough, "Wanderlust" warrants numerous comparisons to the free-spirited lifestyle it both celebrates and pokes fun at. Although contemporary R-rated comedy techniques abound, (At what point will comedies decide to stop barraging audiences with flopping penises?) they seem less contrived in this movie. Everything feels more organic and care-free. Maybe it's as simple as the fact that nudists and hallucinogenics make more sense in a movie about hippies, but either way it works.

But more than that, it's the choice to avoid the obvious contemporary jokes that sit right in front of our noses that earns "Wanderlust" kudos. Not one scene deals with either George or Linda getting frustrated over bad cell phone reception or saying or doing anything to debase or devalue the commune or the lifestyle there for the sake of humor. That fact will go under- appreciated by most viewers.

"Wanderlust" essentially lives and dies with its purposelessness. So many comedies self-inflict their wounds by trying to create and maintain too much of a logical plot, whereas this one spares us the trouble. At the same time, a noteworthy premise—executed well or not—seizes the necessary attention for audiences to feel invested in a comedy.

Like its title implies, this movie meanders spontaneously in search of only laughs. It's the kind of strategy that will likely divide audiences, but those like myself who feel Wain and company pulled it off will develop a sizable soft spot for this simple but quirky comedy.

~Steven C

Thanks for reading! Visit my site, moviemusereviews.com

When Paul Rudd ruled the Earth...

Author: loco_73 from Canada
27 February 2012

...he then met Jennifer Aniston in "Wanderlust"...and it went all downhill from there...enough said! A painful, awkward mess masquerading as a comedy ensued, with lacklustre performances, no on-screen chemistry whatsoever and Aniston finally being able to find employment for her hippie boyfriend Justin-I-look-too-much-like-Sasha-Baron-Cohen-Theroux.

Looking at Aniston's lifeless face and dull eyes, I started thinking that she is actually a genius, I mean, with "Wanderlust" she managed to both stay employed AND have sex with her boyfriend while working!

Rich people call that Hollywood Heaven, if I tried to do the same, I would call it The Unemployment Line/Welfare Row...

Now I know what Ryan Seacrest felt like when Ali-G Borat "The Dictator" Bruno spilled Kim Jong Il's ashes all over his tuxedo!

Before you go to a nudist colony, watch this movie first.

Author: PWNYCNY from United States
10 March 2012

Sometimes things have a strange way of working out. Like when your life seems to be sliding down hill and then all of a sudden things start going your way, all because of some chance encounter, or was it chance? That is the theme of this movie. The movie contains some very amusing scenes, and Jennifer Aniston once again proves that she is one of the best comic actresses in Hollywood today. Her performance in this movie is endearing; she is thoroughly likable and carries the movie. The plot is shallow with no surprises, but so what? It is a comedy and it is is entertaining. The movie is a satire on family, materialism, work, and the whole back-to-earth movement. Some scenes are hilarious. Paul Rudd gives another strong performance as Ms. Aniston's harried husband. The movie contains some full frontal nudity but it's not gratuitous and actually adds to the humor.

penguins with testicular cancer?

Author: dtucker86 from Germany
24 February 2012

Paul Rudd has a vulgar but hilarious "mirror" scene in this film (watch it and see what I mean), Jennifer Aniston has a hilarious scene where she drinks some drugged tea and has an "Easy Rider" like trip culminating in her believing she can fly and Alan Alda has a hilarious bit as a senile hippie. There I have just named the only good things in this film. I desperately wanted to like Wanderlust because it tried to be original, however originality doesn't always guarantee a good movie and this is a case in point. I almost felt like I had stepped into a time machine watching this the way it showed communes, hippies, drug use and free love. This movie might have been better made forty years ago! It seems so out of place today. Wanderlust has enough nudity and foul language in it for about five movies and George's brother Rick has got to be the most obnoxious pig I have ever seen in a movie. Just his few minutes on screen ruined it for me.

Julia Roberts doesn't take roles like this

Author: MBunge from Waterloo, Iowa
27 February 2012

For one of the most famous actresses in her day, Jennifer Aniston has played second banana to a hell of a lot of less famous actors. I mean, pretty much all women in Hollywood have to play that wife/girlfriend role. However, it's one thing to play the wife of Jim Carey, or even the wife of Owen Wilson and the girlfriend of Ben Stiller. But Aniston has now played the lesser part opposite Paul Rudd, Aaron Eckhart, Jason Bateman and Steve Zahn. Steve motherbleepin' Zahn?!? And we're not talking about films she did at the start of her career. These were roles she decided to take after becoming a global celebrity on Friends. Curious careers choices aside, Wanderlust is probably the best and funniest yet of Aniston's "Wait, isn't she a much bigger star than him?" movies. It does crumble at the end into a pile of cheap, easy and hackneyed rubble, but it starts very strong and has a lot of humor of both the crude and clever varieties.

George and Linda (Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston) are a New York City couple who just bought their first apartment, one that's a combination of extremely small and quite expensive. Then George loses his job and Linda's latest flight of fancy as a documentarian goes down in flames and they're forced to sell their micro-home and move to Atlanta so George can take a job with his psychotically obnoxious brother (Ken Marino). On the way down, they're forced to spend the night at Elysium, an "intended community" full of free spirited hippies and they're confidently out-of-touch guru Seth (Justin Theroux). They have the night of their lives and after experiencing the horror of living with George's brother, they flee back to Elysium where the exciting George persuades the reluctant Linda to try living there for two weeks. Well, Linda completely blossoms in the chaotic environment while George comes to loath it, driving a wedge between the two when George challenges Linda about Elysium's embrace of free love, thinking she won't go along with it but she, of course, immediately does. There's also a subplot about developers looking to build a casino on the site of the commune, but that and everything else gets wrapped up in the abrupt, arbitrary and pulled-out-of-thin-air conclusion.

Now, a lot of the comedy in Wanderlust is broad, obvious and in the vein of "Look how wacky these hippies are!" It's still pretty damn funny and some of it's a good deal smarter than that. The opening scenes, which are almost like an extended montage, of George and Linda's life in New York do a great job of elevating, mocking and then crushing their dreams. And the gamut of emotions the couple run through on their regretful drive down to Atlanta quickly builds a level of depth into their relationship and makes their audience more invested in what happens to them. Nothing after that is as well written, but there are plenty of good jokes and absurd moments.

It does seem like they got 3/4ths of the way through Wanderlust and only then realized they didn't have ending to story, so the Almighty Plot Hammer is brought to bear and an avalanche of nudity is used to cover for the character development that's skipped over. By that point, though, you'll probably have enjoyed the movie enough not to care and everything will get wrapped up fast enough not to bother you.

Aniston, Rudd and Theroux are splendid and the rest of the cast, especially Alan Alda, are charming enough in their one-note roles. Co-writer/director David Wain also shows a fine hand. There's plenty of comedy in Wanderlust and from the briefest lines to more extended gags, he gives it all the right amount of time, space and rhythm.

This isn't a great film but it's pretty good, even if you think you've had your fill of R-rated comedies. I do hope Aniston stops this pattern before she winds up playing Mrs. Robinson in a remake of The Graduate starring one of the guys from The Jersey Shore.

Lingers positively in my Psyche...looking forward to Within Reach "the Real" wanderlust story

Author: simplerlife-1 from United States
27 February 2012

Wanderlust has lingered positively in my psyche the past couple days since i went to the opening in Madison, WI

I am shocked that they did such a wonderful job of balancing poking fun at the IC movement with refraining from slandering the movement. They even made fun of the mainstream world even more (with the negativity portrayed by people in the mainstream).

I was even more shocked that they put some GREAT political statements in, and even showed some of the positive sides of the IC movement.

My partner Mandy and I are actually releasing soon a documentary called "Within Reach" which is about our similar story to these main characters. We left our corporate jobs in 2007, got on bicycles, and traveled 6500 miles around the USA for 2 years to visit 100 sustainable intentional communities. look for our movie spring 2012. it's on IMDb. just look up within reach. or go to withinreachmovie . com

Found myself craving the wonderful connections those people in the movie had...and realize why I made my movie again. :)

I am moving to Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage with Mandy as of March 3 in Rutledge, MO

Come visit us and stay at A REAL Intentional community B&B Eco-inn the "Milkweed Mercantile at Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage.

By the way I could totally tell that the movie "Together" influenced "Wanderlust!" (naked lady in the kitchen...naked guy in the house) ;) (i have been in touch with the Director David Wain and he told me "Together" is a favorite of his...i love it too...it's about a commune in Sweden"

by the way..they sure picked a guy with a long penis. why? i would have picked a guy with a more "average" sized penis ;) just a curiosity ;)