IMDb > Wanderlust (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Wanderlust More at IMDbPro »

What a laugh!!

Author: aliciadipesto from London, England
19 January 2013

Maybe I'm off the mark here but I can't understand why this had had such a bad press. I've seen this film 3 times now and every time fall over laughing. It's imaginative, witty, warm, clever and refreshing. Some great actors too, surely they wouldn't have signed up to a turd of a movie - that speaks volumes for me. Sure the characters are a bit pantomime at times especially the brother of the main character but still, it's so well written such a crime is entirely forgivable.

I'm surprised too that in the 4 years we've been in recession there hasn't really been a lot of content has been released concerning the recession itself, and this also sets the film apart. Maybe I'm just a frustrated hippie. But this movie is funny as hell and the dialogue alone is cracking. A real feel-good way to while away a couple of hours and very entertaining.

Loved it and I really laughed but may not be for everyone

Author: amshotwell from East Coast
16 January 2013

I watched this not knowing anything about it and had no preconceived ideas of what it would be about and I cracked up the whole time. It has a lot of my favorite comic actors in it. I am pretty picky really and did find some of it rather predictable but did not mind that but I found some things to be not predictable too. Full frontal male nudity (spoiler perhaps not sure) is a bit jarring at first but it makes the movie. I guess if you have ever lived with or been around a group of people like this it makes it a little more funny. I say watch but don't expect too much and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised. Not for everyone. Lots of subtle humor that I found great. It think the characters in this movie make you uncomfortable in a lot of scenes on purpose. The Sister in law was my favorite and the best character, her acting is superb!

Fun time not for the faint of heart

Author: Gimplet from United States
29 June 2013

A movie that knew its intent well. A shock and awe of all things sacred and holy within morals and values. A simple deluge of uncomfortable madness. Which in my case, was absolutely fun. With wanderlust we get an over the top hilarious collision of uncomfortable intrusion. Challenging us on so many wrong levels we find ourselves laughing in protest. In my book this is a success. Sure, there is no deep message redeeming mankind or life lessons to study and preach but sometimes the best movies give medicine by provoking us to lighten up.

Wanderlust is the pie in your face, take a chill pill, the world does not revolve around you prescription. Definitely not for everyone. The movie comes to an enjoyable resolution, most will enjoy by the end. Take the journey, let the chips land where they may. You will find the sensory overload is manageable. Enjoy at your own risk. ;)

I don't get the negative reviews. I thought it was hilarious.

Author: fischfin from United States
19 September 2012

I don't get the negative reviews. I thought it was hilarious. The storyline may not be entirely new; couple in crisis meets eccentric group, but it all worked for me. I thought the humor was there throughout the entire movie and that is rare these day's. I also found some of the other characters story lines to be very funny, one in particular was very original, Joe Lo Truglio as Wayne the nudist winemaker and writer, brilliant! Kathy Hahn as the angry hippie, Justin Theroux as the 'leader' were flat out funny. Also it was great to Alan Alda as the aging hippie with dimentia, again very original. If you enjoy Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston well worth a look!

Comedy is a funny thing

Author: kosmasp
16 August 2012

Although this always play out in the eye of the beholder. I could imagine that some people could not relate or find anything funny in this, but I also read it in another guys review here. Just because this is R-rated, doesn't mean you're going to see a lot of the two main actresses (you will see a "bit" from one of the male leads though, even if it's not really his bit).

I on the other hand as you can tell by my rating did really like it. I know the story has more than its fair share of flaws, but it's a lot of fun to watch. If you can laugh at the jokes at hand that is of course. Paul Rudd is playing his usual sch-tick, but his "brother" is the real revelation. He's really funny and awkward! The morality of the whole thing is one dimensional, but you can overlook that, if you can laugh about the movie.

Terrible and Unfunny Silliness

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
30 April 2014

In New York, the aspirant filmmaker Linda (Jennifer Aniston) convinces her husband George Gergenblatt (Paul Rudd) to buy an expensive Micro Loft apartment in Manhattan. Linda expects to sell a documentary about penguins to HBO to help the payment of the installments and George expects a promotion. However, HBO rejects the documentary and George's company has folded and he is fired. With the American crisis, they lose a large amount selling the apartment and George does not find a new job. George's brother Seth (Justin Theroux) offers a job position in his company in Atlanta.

They drive from New York to Atlanta and they decide to stop for the night in the hotel Elysium. However they see a naked man running toward their car and George tries to return to the highway but accidentally he turns his car over. Soon they learn the Elysium is a hippie and vegan community and the dwellers invite George and Linda to stay with them. However, they decide to go to Atlanta but soon George has an argument with his arrogant brother. George returns to Elysium with Linda and they decide to stay for a two-week trial. A couple of days later, Linda feels well with her new friends but George has difficulties to adapt himself to the rules of Elysium.

"Wanderlust" is a terrible and unfunny comedy with a silly story. Jennifer Aniston is a great actress but his agent or she should be more careful with the screenplays they select. The cast has other good names, such as Paul Rudd, Alan Alda, Lauren Ambrose and Malin Akerman, but the moronic plot is too stupid and does not make laugh. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "Viajar É Preciso" ("Triping Is Necessary")

A very funny comedy that is not for the easily offended. Rudd has great line delivery as always. Cast is hilarious. I say B+

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
16 June 2012

"We prefer 'intentional community. We're not a bunch of hippies sitting around playing guitar." George (Rudd) and Linda (Aniston) are finally starting to relax. George has a great job and Linda is an aspiring filmmaker who is set to sell her documentary to HBO. They buy a house in one of the nicest parts of New York City and everything is going great. When everything falls apart they move to Atlanta to live with George's brother. Along the way the find a commune called Elysium with a very eclectic group of people. They find more then the expected there. This is a very funny movie but it is not for everyone. This is the type of comedy where if you offend easy I would avoid it. Like most movies by Apatow or Rudd the dialog is so great that you find it hard not to laugh at the lines or the delivery of them. The cast is great in this and everyone adds their own brand of comedy but at the same time no one really gets in the way of the others. Just as a heads up though there is a lot of full frontal male nudity in this, but its really funny when it happens. I laughed threw the entire movie and there are a ton of quotable lines in this, but this is not a movie I would buy. Overall, a very funny movie that fans of Apatow will love. I give it a B+.

Unpredictable and hilarious

Author: makara79 from United States
7 July 2012

I thought this film was a really good, solid comedy. Hilarious and refreshingly random. Below is a quick run down of things I like. If you have similar tastes to me, maybe you'd agree with me on Wanderlust.

Great comedies: The Office (UK) Curb Your Enthusiasm Seinfeld Portlandia Cedar Rapids Kids in the Hall Larry Sanders Show Big Lebowski / Barton Fink / Serious Man Louie Best in Show Waiting for Guffman Bridesmaids

Good, solid comedies: Modern Family SNL The State The Hangover There's Something About Mary Dodgeball The Birdcage Wedding Crashers The Office (US) Superbad Due Date Napoleon Dynamite

Not-really-for-me comedies: Two and a Half Men Hot Tub Time Machine Friends Will & Grace Dumb and Dumber MadTV Blades of Glory The Waterboy American Pie Austin Powers White Chicks Idiocracy Legally Blonde School of Rock Rush Hour Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle Miss Congeniality

I truly enjoyed this

Author: Ary Monteiro from Sao Paulo, Brazil
4 August 2013

I can see why this is getting so much hate, it's definitely a tad vulgar and will offend the most sensitive, but hell i'd be lying if i don't say i laughed quite consistently.

The tale of a new york couple that struggles with money and failure and finds themselves in a small hippie commune it's simple but heartfelt, Paul and Jennifer are quite good in this and move from serious to awkward with ease, being in my late 30's i could relate with their dilemma since i'm living through a similar f****d up system and the desire to leave everything behind.

It's a comedy for adults so i didn't mind the more uncomfortable bits, there's a lot of nudity (sorry, no Paul or Jen, only ugly folks), I can't recommend it without reservations but I've had a good time.

Not a bad movie, but can Aniston ever not act "Aniston"?

Author: Heidi Standell from Canada
3 June 2013

I wish there was a 6.5 rating. This film doesn't deserve a seven, but it's not quite so low as a six either. It's a meandering film at times, and while Rudd is always great when he's in the role of the middle class and dependable husband/boyfriend put into an unexpected situation, he does have a great deal of comedic talent, and even when he's in a supporting or ensemble cast he generally winds up carrying and being the best thing about most of the movies he's in, Aniston on the other hand is still trying to play the young ingénue she played on "Friends" a decade ago (though she appears to be a sweet woman no matter what role she's playing, and I think that's because she really is a sweet woman who unfortunately isn't a great actress; I think most of her roles to date are basically Aniston playing Aniston). Yes, "Horrible Bosses" WAS a step away from her comfort zone, but her success in that film seemed more based on the character having been created for her than what I can only say was obviously the little and forced effort she put into creating the character. With that movie she could have gone a lot further; despite her supposed sex/power addiction she still seemed like Rachel dressed up like a dominatrix for Halloween, more interested in how she might still look pretty in the nightclub light than how to wield the power her character so desperately needs to make her believable. In "Wanderlust" Aniston's performance is woody, she just can't get into playing a middle aged woman (and c'mon, despite the lighting and the makeup and the botox that's what she is!) who just might want to explore and find out that she is or can be more than the shallow, hungry to succeed city girl that she plays so well in movies and in Hollywood. I'm a middle aged woman myself, and while Rudd's journey is funny and at times touching in his innocent exploration of his societally defined identity, Aniston doesn't bring to the role a sense of identity that a woman her age should have acquired by now. She has a lot of money in real life, so maybe she can stay virtually young forever on the outside, but her acting tells me she's also stayed young, far too young, on the inside. Maybe she'll find that depth as she grows older; if not then she's a TV star past her prime who should stick to the small screen, maybe there she'll again find a niche by playing yet another version of herself. I just hope she learns to play closer to her age -- perhaps a daily job to remind her she's not a twenty something anymore will help her grow up and stop it with the coy little gestures and the wide eye surprise that are cute with the Twilight set but not at all so in a menopausal (or close to it) woman in her mid-forties.

Mirror Scene Makes the Movie

Author: rossangela from Oregon, USA
15 July 2013

What could have been a 5 or 6 star comedy film, is made a 10 star film by Paul Rudd's (improvised?) mirror scene. When I watched that part, I thought "What great directing!" But then, when I read on IMDb that Rudd improvised that scene, I thought "What a great comic acting genius he is". So although there are a few hokey scenes (the psychedelic trip, the 2 cars in the pond) in all, the film is entertaining at least, and hilarious at best, especially due to Rudd's great improvisation. With something this light, it's best not to over-analyze its elements. (and by the way, I thought that Jennifer Anniston was very good, despite other reviewers comments). So rather than picking it apart, as though it were up for an academy award, just watch, laugh and enjoy!!

Hilarious!

Author: sandyb0802 from United States
20 January 2013

This is more of an independent quirky film so I get why some people just don't get the humor. I would describe the humor as tongue in cheek and absurd (which is great for me and tickles my funny bone to no end). Basically it is a great cast poking fun at the hippie dippy community. I think you have to already think that kind of lifestyle is a joke in order to laugh. Personally I know people who are like those they are portraying and they are really laying it on thick. They take being all open and free and take it up a like 5 notches. I feel like if you enjoy subtle humor then this is good. Actually, to disagree with another viewer I didn't think they were trying too hard at all. I like Saturday Night Live and I think it is a little bit like that kind of humor. Poking fun at certain personalities. If you like The Big Lebowski you will probably like this. I think it was a different movie for Aniston to do and that is a good thing. I mean, Alan Alda was in it. He was also in Woody Allen movies. It's a little bit of cerebral humor because you have to be able to laugh at the stupidity. If you like Larry David you will probably like this. So for me it totally hit the spot. The humor was detailed, subtle and just perfect. Smart, well-paced and just a fun ride. Very good timing! An instant favorite for me (and that is rare!) I couldn't stop laughing. If I throw my head back, that is a good thing. And I am glad Aniston is trying different character roles. Good idea. People will get used to that eventually. Can't see her and then go "alright! this is going to be like Friends!" (I hated Friends, loved Seinfeld). So hopefully this review will help some because it is worth seeing if you understand my review and get it.

Great, funny film!

Author: Jayson Smith from Vancouver, WA
1 March 2013

I thought this movie was great! Featuring a large portion of the cast from the old sketch comedy show 'The State', how could it be bad? Directed by David Wain and written by David Wain and Ken Marino, this movie strays from the stale Hollywood comedy formula in a successful attempt at creating refreshingly original, yet hilarious movie. Completely worth a watch...or maybe two so that you can catch the stuff you missed the first time from laughing so hard. I especially enjoyed the short 'Stella' bits featuring David Wain, Michael Showalter and Michael Ian Black. Over all this movie is great for those like me who tire from watching cliché Hollywood comedies and need something new and unique.

Lighthearted entertainment

Author: scstroh from United States
12 August 2012

I don't get why this movie is rated so low. Sure the characters aren't too developed and a bit over the top, but maybe I didn't mind because I expected that from this Hollywood comedy.

Being a comedy, it delivered with its quirky humor. I especially liked the fact that everything was fair game for its brazen satire. It didn't just make a mockery of a particular lifestyle, but found humor in every setting and lifestyle in the movie. The best part about it was that it pushed boundaries in a gentle way. Yeah there was nudity, but who cares? It wasn't crass for the most part, and if you're old enough to watch an R-rated movie, you should be comfortable enough to see naked bodies of all sorts without being offended.

As expected, the ending tied the story up in a nice little bow and left me feeling satisfied for the most part. Overall, I thought this movie was lighthearted and interesting. I think it's worth the watch. Or maybe I'm just a hippie.

wanderlust - laugh out loud

Author: terbear505 from United States
6 July 2012

This movie has just a many funny scenes as the hangover. I am sitting at my office at work, laughing about this movie. From the beginning with falling asleep during sex to the micro mini studio apartment to the hilarious brother's wife to landing upside down in their car with a naked man standing right at his face. The scenes continued to be funnier. Best Part, was Paul Rudd gearing up in front of the mirror for his love affair, and ending up watching a girl naturally deliver her baby. Yes, the story line is simple, but, if you are in a mood to laugh. I promise, you will. Jennifer and Paul are a great duo. I hope they plan many more movies together.

are hippies funny...

Author: MLDinTN from TN
9 December 2012

that is the question this movie tries to answer. The film is about married couple, George and Linda, whom must leave New York City after George loses his job. My favorite part wasn't the hippies, it was when George and Linda go to George's brother's house. The brother says the most inappropriate things and his wife is a lonely, depressed woman and they have a foul mouthed kid. Needless to say, they can't stand to be there long and go back to the hippie place in which they had spent the night at before arriving at the brother's. There they live without doors, smoke pot, have free love. Some of it was funny, but there are much better comedies out there. And of course George and Linda must find each other at the end.

FINAL VERDICT: It was OK; worth a view if you want some raunchy humor

Really funny. I have no idea what film critics and audiences saw, but it wasn't this one.

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
30 July 2012

The most undervalued film of 2012? I think so, anyway. Critics and audiences alike have decided that this comedy is lame, but I laughed at pretty much every gag and found the writing to be top notch. I'm a long-time fan of David Wain, who first appeared in the classic 90s sketch show The State and has done many things since, most recently the hilarious Children's Hospital, which shares many of the same actors as Wanderlust. Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston star as a married couple from New York who are forced to flee the city when they become unemployed. On their way to Atlanta to stay with Rudd's brother (Ken Marino, who co-wrote), they stay at a bed and breakfast which turns out to be a hippie commune, which they decide is a better place for them than Marino's house. There's conflict when she loves it but he doesn't. The best thing about the film is the care that went into the creation of the hippie characters. They could have easily been two-dimensional stereotypes, but the filmmakers and actors have fleshed them all out nicely. Justin Theroux plays their apparent leader, a charismatic, bearded man who has lived away from normal society a bit too long ("Why don't you just leave behind your VCRs and Nintendo Power Gloves?"). Among the others are Alan Alda, one of the original founders, Joe Lo Truglio, a nudist novelist, Kerri Kenney-Silver, kind of a soul mother, Kathryn Hahn, a judgmental ex-porn star, Jordan Peele and Lauren Ambrose, an interracial couple with a baby on the way, and Malin Akerman, a hot gal who believes in free love. Marino is also hilarious as Rudd's a-hole brother and Michaela Watkins is great as his alcoholic wife. Stand-up Todd Barry and Broadway star Linda Lavin also have great cameos as Rudd's co-worker and a real-estate agent respectively. Director Wain along with Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter, who were all together in The State (along with Kerri Kenney-Silver, Joe Lo Truglio and Ken Marino) and were also the comedy troupe Stella, appear as banal Atlanta news anchors. The story isn't anything too special, but the lovingly created characters and their interactions carry the movie perfectly well. I suspect that, much like David Wain's Wet Hot American Summer, this will become something of a cult classic in the coming years.

Uncomfortable to watch, Ridiculous and WEIRD!!!!

Author: Paul Anthony from United Kingdom
2 July 2012

Usually love comedies and don't mind some bad language etc but way too much crude language, nudity and crap jokes. Thought it looked OK at the very start but never got going at all. Not keen on Paul Rudd at the best of times but bad acting from him, Jennifer Aniston was not as good as usual.

Delt really uncomfortable to watch with my wife and made us cringe with bad plots and attempts at being funny! I just wanted to switch it off after 20 minutes but gave it the benefit of the doubt,It got worse as it went on Im afraid.

Overacting to the Max and just very crass.

Weirdest movie I've seen in sometime. not sure what they were thinking!

Plenty of wander not much lust.

Author: Quietb-1 from United States
1 March 2012

The trailer sums up the plot. A New York couple find their way to a "hippie like" community. The movie looks bright and sharp as if it was shot on real film.

The usual high on some substance and free love jokes you would expect. A few laughs but short on heart.

The scene where everyone claps when the car is up righted must have been filmed before the soft noiseless clap element was established. Plenty of male nudity and language got this an R rating. The little girl that helps saves the day seemed to come out of nowhere or her other scenes didn't make the final cut.

It seems like we've seen all this before. No need to rush to this one. It's the kind of movie that will work well on DVD or cable.

If you were a fan of The State, and are a fan of irreverent humor in general, you'll like it

Author: soko355 from United States
29 June 2012

Everyone on here complaining about acting and character development and blah blah blah needs to get over themselves. It's not as over-the-top as The State or Wet Hot American Summer, but this movie promised to be a ridiculous comedy, and it was a ridiculous comedy. The humor ranged from subtle to silly to raunchy, but rarely any toilet humor or basic stupidity. It wasn't the funniest thing I've ever seen, but it made me laugh out loud unexpectedly at lots of points throughout the whole movie, much like other stuff involving these comedians/writers always have. So no, don't go in expecting an Oscar winner, just relax and enjoy the laughs.

Surprisingly Disappointing

Author: headstocki from United Kingdom
16 June 2012

WANDERLUST - 5/10.

Being as I am more than fond of both Judd Apatow (Producer) and Paul Rudd (Lead Actor/Co. Producer) I was extremely eager to watch Wanderlust but came out of it disappointed and honestly quite shocked by the fact that Apatow had produced something so mediocre!

That being said I did laugh in this film on quite a few occasions actually, in particular the mirror scene which was to say the least hilarious. In my opinion it was these rare moments of overstated humour and light satire which made the film bearable. Another strong point is the running time; thankfully this film doesn't drag on too much to the point where it becomes tedious.

Rudd is consistently brilliant in nearly every release he has been in and Wanderlust is certainly no exception, but the person that stole the show for me personally was Joe Lo Truglio as Wayne the nudist novelist. I feel that in previous films Truglio has shined, never having a large part but still managing to have a huge impact on the overall humour of a film, notable examples are Kuzzick in Role Models (also alongside Rudd and director David Wain) and my personal favourite Lonnie in I Love You, Man (again, alongside Rudd). I feel that Truglio has this same effect in Wanderlust and that he played one of the more likable and overall interesting characters amongst a cast that is generally dull.

Jennifer Aniston tries. Everything she does in this film comes off as a bit too eccentric, for example the weird acid trip she has just felt awkward and kind of unnecessary. The only thing that the does to a truly good standard is playing the 'un-employed go-getter living in the midst of a bustling Manhattan' but to be fair this sort of role has got to be second nature for her. Frankly the more in-your-face kind of comedy is a little out of Aniston's comfort zone and this does show a bit in Wanderlust.

A lot of other reviews are advising you not to watch it but I disagree based on the fact that you could definitely do a lot worse. You should especially watch this if you enjoyed Wain's Wet Hot American Summer being as both films share a light form of satire. Wanderlust does not match Wet Hot American Summer in terms of overall comedy but I feel that the two are still comparable. Sure, nothing in Wanderlust is worth writing home about (apart from maybe the mirror scene which truly is, hilarious) and it is fairly forgettable but if you are ever in the mood for something light-hearted not to be taken too seriously kind of film then you can't go wrong with Wanderlust.

Horrid!

Author: jhartman1-2 from United States
3 September 2012

This film was painful to watch!

Even the adorable Jennifer Aniston could not make this movie watchable.

There was nothing but a couple giggles due to a crazy scene or word but it was torture!

Other than the multiple shots of penises and floppy breasts by unknown actors and actresses there was nothing of note.

Boring from start to finish, the film just kept dragging and dragging on.

I expected something of worth but never got it. The few outtakes at the end of the film were the only thing worth watching so don't forget to watch those.

Raunchy, vulgar, disgusting, and downright hilarious

Author: chrismsawin from United States
24 February 2012

After missing "The State" when it was on the air, I became a fan of David Wain when "Stella" hit Comedy Central in 2005. From there I went back and visited Wet Hot American Summer and Role Models. Wet Hot American Summer is a classic while Role Models is humorous but just slightly better than average overall. Expectations were honestly pretty low for Wanderlust. The trailers were mostly just toilet humor (literally) and what appeared to be your everyday modern couple going to live with a group of hippies. How good could that be? It's probably because expectations were so low that Wanderlust is as great as it turned out to be.

George (Paul Rudd) and Linda (Jennifer Aniston) are moving to New York to follow their dreams. Well, George is reluctantly moving there while Linda follows her dreams. Now they find themselves with a studio apartment (oh excuse me, a "micro-loft") that is incredibly tiny and massively expensive. But things get rough when Linda's hopes get washed down the drain and George loses his job. George's brother Rick (Ken Marino) has a job waiting for George, but they're all the way in Atlanta. Leaving their dreams behind, George and Linda go on a road trip and stop at Elysium before reaching their destination. Elysium is unlike anything George and Linda have ever experienced before as everyone shares everything, is so open with one another, and even believes in free love. As everything that could go wrong does, George and Linda are faced with the decision of continuing to live in the city for the technology and advancements they love or moving to the country, being stripped of that technology, and feeling happier than they can ever remember.

One could argue that Wanderlust uses the same formula over and over involving raunchy jokes and dialogue and featuring the most nudity of any film in your recent memory. That may be the case, but if you're familiar with David Wain's humor then this should come as no surprise. You probably know what you're getting yourself into and you're either a fan of his work or you hate it (but then why would you be seeing this anyway?). Wanderlust is labeled as a comedy and if it makes you laugh, then it's done its job. If anything, this is actually a return to form for both Wain and the majority of the cast of "The State." The film throws you headfirst into hilarity as the "breaking the apartment in the old fashioned way" scene is kind of a warm-up for what's to come. George's sarcasm is what will more than likely win you over the most while Linda's inability to commit to any sort of career causes her character to be pretty unpredictable. Elysium is a gold mine of eccentric characters; the most noteworthy being Wayne (Joe Lo Truglio) the nudist and Seth (Justin Theroux). Wayne's nude habits will either have you in tears from laughing so hard or cause you to turn away in disgust while Seth's outdated technology references, his ability to loiter around doorways out of sight and selfish tendencies are hilarious in their own right. Paul Rudd's mirror scene is what you'll remember the most though as you'll be laughing for a good two or three minutes straight from that scene alone.

Wanderlust does get pretty outlandish in its second half, but it isn't exactly the most grounded concept to begin with. There are several dream-like sequences that are fantastically surreal. The two that come to mind are Linda's peyote-like trip during the trust circle and George's fly dream. The fly dream is actually one of my favorite scenes in the movie since it's just so bizarre and random yet manages to fit the flow of the movie somehow.

The R-rated comedy does have its shortcomings though. Rick is easily the most annoying character to be featured in any film so far in 2012. You'll breathe a sigh of relief once his story arc is resolved. The other main one is the film's conclusion. It feels a bit generic when all of the raunchiness is dropped for heartfelt speeches and the struggle to do what's right. Everything still comes together in a logical sense, but it's in a way that seems so familiar which is kind of a letdown. The transition just doesn't feel as smooth as it should.

Wanderlust is vulgar, obscene, littered with jiggling unclothed man and lady parts, and downright disgusting at times, but it's laugh out loud funny because of all of these things. The story may be a bit lacking in parts, but your laughter will drown out whatever flaws the movie may have. While Wanderlust may not be for everyone, it certainly soars and caters to those who love this type of comedy.

I drink the nourishment that Gaia is feeding me through her cloud teats

Author: tieman64 from United Kingdom
5 January 2015

A naturally cute Paul Rudd and an artificially enhanced Jennifer Aniston star in "Wanderlust", a weak comedy by David Wain. The film finds Aniston and Rudd playing a pair of New Yorkers who attempt to escape the economic realities of contemporary United States by living on a commune. This commune is populated by an assortment of "quirky characters".

"Wanderlust" is dull, generic and lazily written. Rudd is given the film's only funny moments, and the film's "happy ending" cops-out by endorsing the very ethos that pushed our heroes into ruin. A likable Alan Alda co-stars. See instead "Minister Lonely", "Le Chinoise" and Paul Mazursky's "Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice".

6//10 – Worth one viewing.

Average, doesn't deserve all the hate

Author: Josh
4 December 2014

This is a movie i've wanted to see for a while, and the perks of being a student is that you always have time to watch movies. Wanderlust features George (Paul Rudd) and Linda (Jennifer Aniston) who are hit with sudden unemployment. This couple looks for life elsewhere, when they stumble across Elysium, an alternative rural commune where free love rules, yeah. After being invited to live with the community they begin to experience their lifestyle, which leads to some funny encounters.

Wanderlust has received a lot of hate for not being that good, and yeah its not the best movie in the world but it doesn't mean its the worst. Wanderlust is a strange movie, its funny at points, largely finding humour in awkward experiences and the scene with Paul Rudd and the mirror is probably its most recognisable scene, as it is hilarious. As far as being a great movie, id say its a pretty average film, you'll get some laughs, but in comparison to some of Paul Rudd's other movies its not as good, not forgetting the large amount of inappropriateness.

The cast of this movie is packed full of hilarious actors and i think the reason we don't find it as good as we expect to be so because there are so many funny actors in it. For anyone watching this, its average but some funny parts and definitely not one to watch with the parents.

Check out my other reviews on http://russellviews.blogspot.co.uk

Laughing Good Time

Author: ty_lattimore2007 from Atlanta, GA
9 September 2014

Wanderlust is one of the funniest Jennifer Anniston movies ever! I was a bit skeptical because I seldom find her films that funny besides "The Break Up.""Object of My Affection" was pretty good too. This was by far one of her best films. Paul Rudd(George) and Jennifer(Linda) work well together. The heavy lifting is done mostly by the supporting cast. Ken Marino as George's successful brother was a riot. George's wife played by Michaela Watkins, was killing me with her one liners. If you want to laugh hard then this film is it. Justin Theroux as Seth was priceless. The hippie commune is just like a mental hospital run by patients. Malin Åkerman as Eva was hysterical too.

Sophomoric Softie

Author: seagem from United States
23 August 2014

Back in the 70's this would have been classified as soft porn - flaccid, bouncing body parts make you want to look away, dialogue so laden with sexual content only those registering as mental pre-teen are going to snicker and enjoy this kind of fare. Keep moving folks, nothing to see here: isn't that what they say at the scene of an accident? Well, this movie certainly is one in so many ways.

It was fun to see Alan Alda and Linda Lavin in their supporting roles - if you are going back to the '70's who better than these two stalwarts of the period - problem is they have limited time on the screen and don't really have a chance to show their chops.

Paul Rudd is very talented but mostly in the length of a SNL television skit. Painful to watch the scene where he is psyching himself up in the bathroom to stray into infidelity - talking to himself to build his courage. Way too long and most of the scene should have been edited out.

Jennifer Aniston is very likable and is much better in Horrible Bosses and We're the Millers which isn't saying a lot but gives perspective that she is wasted here. I could have gone a long time without seeing her simulate using a leaf on herself while she squats in the commune front yard.

The supporting cast especially the women did a good job in each of their roles. Justin Theroux as Seth did not help his film career. An age peer of Alan Alda would have been much better than Theroux. Someone against type who could be over the top as the commune leader. I would loved to have seen Al Pacino in the role or even Tom Selleck (another TV throwback to go along with Alda and Lavin) as the out of touch emotional cannonball/still horny-for-strange women-leader of the pack. Now that could have made this watchable. Plus a better script. Plus better editing. Plus abandon the stream of consciousness trash mouth scenes. You get the idea.

I saw this on DVD and couldn't bear to watch the extras. My first thought was to throw this in the trash. This one is Not recommended.

Not great - but not rubbish either.

Author: David Holt (rawiri42) from Australia
30 July 2014

Wanderlust is certainly not a great movie that will go into the annals of Hollywood movie-making for eternity. But then, how many are?

Maybe I'm getting Alzheimer's but an interesting thing happened for me with Wanderlust. My neighbour rented it and, before returning it, knowing my liking for comedies, asked if I would like to borrow it so I naturally accepted. After watching it from beginning to end (and laughing occasionally), as I always do, I entered it into a database I have set up on my computer of all the movies I have seen along with a personal rating out of 100. However, when I told the database to sort it into alphabetical order, I noticed that I already had Wanderlust listed - with (would you believe) the same score! According to the existing record, I had watched the movie just under two years ago and yet, this time around, absolutely nothing reminded me that I had seen it before. My suggestion about Alzheimer's was, by the way, in jest because I have watched other movies subsequent times and, after just a few moments, realised that I had already seen them and even remembered the next lines. So what does this say about Wanderlust? No doubt, some psychologist would have all sorts of theories about that and, to be honest, I would love to know what they are. Unfortunately, the chances of me ever finding out are remote, to say the least.

Lots of reviewers seem compelled to include a synopsis of the movies they review even though IMDb already does that very adequately. I will not waste readers' time by doing that. However, I will repeat a comment I have made more than once on IMDb that they should add another genre - that being farce - because Wanderlust is just that. The reason I say this is because, for those who check out IMDb before watching movies, when seeing a movie listed as both a comedy and a farce, they would be better mentally prepared for what is to come. (After all, why do they check in the first place?)

Never having even visited a hippie commune, I am totally unqualified to say how true or otherwise the portrayal of one in Wanderlust is but, if it IS true to life, then I sure as hell don't want to go there! sure, it's hilarious to watch someone else sitting on the toilet trying to have a crap with all and sundry surrounding him and offering advice but I wouldn't want to BE him! But then I wouldn't want to ever live in a puny little box like that George (Paul Rudd) and Linda (Jennifer Aniston) had in New York either. I guess the whole point of the movie is a comparison between the two - which is somewhat polarised. But then it IS a comedy and I DID watch it twice and enjoyed it both times so take that how you will.

Wanderful life

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
26 April 2014

Paul Rudd is a financial executive who has been fired just a few weeks after he purchased micro loft in New York. Jennifer Aniston plays his wife who wants to make a documentary on the sex lives of penguins.

They head out down south to work for Rudd's obnoxious brother but cannot stand being with him and end up in a hippie commune called Elysium whose figurehead is Alan Alda.

As the tile implies in the commune which has a lot of nudity both male and female, no doors and talk of free love the couple decide to find themselves, away from the rat race. Justin Theroux has designs on Aniston and may also have designs on money offered by developers who want Elysium.

Rudd has the hotels for Malin Akerman and also wants to get back on his financial feet leading to a clash between him and Aniston.

The film is not laugh out funny but is edgy enough, some nice characters in the commune although some are eccentric and Theroux is obviously a shifty one. Some of the plot is rather predictable and it is unashamedly aimed at an adult audience.

Its also good to see Alda playing a nice guy for a change after a run of oily unlikeable characters.

Funny, But Could Have Been Funnier!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
5 August 2013

Wanderlust is a funny, silly movie that features good acting. But I must warn general viewers that this is not a film for everybody. In fact, if you're an Aniston or Rudd fan, you'll be let down. This film is for a niche audience and I think ex-hippies would mostly appreciate this. However, I liked this film and found to be pretty funny. However, some jokes fall flat and they makes things somewhat awkward.

David Wain's film is about a couple from New York, George and Linda who are both suddenly unemployed. They leave the city and head to Georgia. There, they encounter a community of hippie-like people and slowly but surely, they begin to learn the ways of their life.

The acting is pretty good. This is a film that both Rudd and Aniston are usually not doing, but they really did a good job. The film has great supporting cast too. Malin Akerman, Justin Theroux, and Alan Alda all really had funny parts.

Overall, this is a decent comedy that has some great jokes, but others were....not so good. But, the direction from David Wain is more mature than this previous film, Role Models. That actually may of hindered the film a little bit since I really loved that childish film. I had a good time getting to know the hippie people in the film. I rate this film 8/10.

A mixed pleasure

Author: callist from Denmark
29 March 2013

This movie had both strong points and weak points. The strength lay mainly in the comedy aspect - there were definitely funny jokes (maybe not laughing-out-loud funny, but then again, that's not my favorite form of comedy). It has a pretty unique tone, though this was intercepted by the weaker points. As far as strength goes, acting was fine too.

Weak points lay mostly in the clichés - regarding everything from plot to character types to dialogue. There were a lot of them and sometimes that really detracted from the enjoyment of this movie. There was just too much and not done well enough. It could have been a unique take on a tired genre, but it sticks to being safe and that detracts from the experience.

Still: 5/10 - I'll probably never watch it again but I don't regret spending my time on it (coming from someone who isn't really into rom-coms to begin with).

Steady comedy fare, and nothing more

Author: Dan Franzen (dfranzen70) from United States
8 January 2013

If you're looking for an adequate comedy that doesn't push any envelopes too far, that is warm and friendly but still contains plenty of adult content, then Wanderlust is just right for you. It's about two uptight New Yorkers who, on the way to relocation in Georgia, spend a night at a bed and breakfast that doubles as a commune - and find out they like it. A lot. The movie features playful performances by Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd and is harmless fun.

The movie is written and directed by David Wain, he of Wet Hot American Summer, Children's Hospital, and The State fame, so you should know what you're getting - some gross-out stuff, some over-the-top stuff, and some stuff that doesn't quite work. Assisting him in his mayhem are former State-mates Ken Marino, Kerri Kenney, Joe Lo Truglio, Michael Ian Black, and Michael Showalter. Justin Theroux plays the ad hoc leader of the pack, a mellow man who believes it's still 1985 (apparently); Alan Alda is along as the last remaining founding member; Jordan Peele and Malin Akerman have small parts as well. On screen, that is.

The basic gist is this: George (Rudd) has just lost his job when the CEO is arrested for something or other, just as Linda (Aniston) fails to sell a documentary to HBO about penguins. They've just bought an apartment in the Upper West side of Manhattan. Now they have no income. Tails between legs, they drive from New York down to the hinterlands of Atlanta to stay with George's brother Rick (Marino). Along the way - thankfully, in montage form - they bicker and make up, bicker and make up.

Finally, Linda says she just has to stop; they've driven enough. The nearest place to spend the night is Elysium, and yes, it's as hippie- like as its name implies. There's a nudist who's writing a book. They don't clap, they snap their fingers. Guitar is played. Games like "truth telling" are played. Weird roots are eaten. There are no doors inside the house, not even for the bathrooms. It's a quintessential commune, as far as I know.

I think the motivation of a character is the key to a movie, and here motivation is what (no pun intended) drives the plot. First they leave, then they come back. How could they not? Oh, here's something else - the denizens of the group practice free love. I assume the communes of the sixties were exactly like this one. That's what literature's told me.

Anyway, let's look at our characters. Both George and Linda vacillate, as you might expect them to, and not at the same time, as you'd also expect. What do they want out of life, anyway? They're not young. Sometimes staying with the oddballs sounds like fun and sensible; other times, returning to Life makes a heck of a better argument. Meanwhile, Theroux's Seth has the hots for Linda, and Akerman's Eva has the same for George. Awkward. Kenney is a laugh riot as a dotty matriarch who's about as offbeat and, frankly, crazed as her character on Reno 911!. Alda is grizzled and constantly seems to be reciting the names of the other, long-lost cofounders of the place. It's trippy.

To use a horrible cliché, Wanderlust is what it is - and nothing more. It doesn't pretend to be either an all-out slapstick or intelligent comedy. It's lighthearted, lacking in any serious mean streak (there's some obnoxious teasing on the part of brother Rick). It's an amiable, if slightly aimless, film. There are no twists to be wary of, no plot intricacies to keep track of. It's straightforward humor. You either go with it or don't, which is why it just misses the mark; the better comedies carry you along with them, either through rapid witty lines or pratfalls galore.

What would happen if you...

Author: Rabbit-Reviews from Åland Islands
28 July 2012

It was really hard to decide whether to include or not to include this new age comedy in the movies worth watching, but in the end Paul Rudd's performance along with some aspects of the story prevailed. Wanderlust is one of those hipster comedies that tries so hard not to be it, but eventually it just accepts the truth and goes along with it. The thing that makes this movie work is the Paul Rudd's character, a calm, rational average guy who thinks like the rest of us but also has a wild side and some dreams (I guess wet) that he would like to see happen in real life, and this is the reason why you should see the movie (well, I guess Jennifer is easy on the eye too). If you ever wondered what would happen if you joined a hippie community along with your girlfriend/wife this is what would probably happen. There are a few good jokes and awkward situations that make it look like a comedy, but I think that Wonderlust would be much better off as some tense up drama, but I guess there are enough movies about crazy hippie cults.

George and Linda Gergenblatt are living in the city, busy with their day-to-day boring survival. They both are working (or at least trying in Linda's case), but they're not rich and can barely make the payments. After their latest purchase of a crappy apartment they're left without money and are forced to go live with George's brother and his wife (not a very good solution). On their way there they stumble upon a community of free-loving hippies living in the woods a different lifestyle without boundaries and obligations. Linda is immediately attracted to this new thing, while George remains skeptical, but as tension rise in his brothers house they decide to give a hippie commune a go, and this will prove to be an experience of a lifetime.

Check out my review site Rabbit-Reviews.com for movies that are worth watching, Rabbit out...

Stay away, Jennifer Aniston is kissing goodbye her career...

Author: cablooie from United Kingdom
18 May 2014

I mean, 90% of the time you will think "did they really think this stuff can be funny? Or even interesting? Is it really possible to get THIS low?". Folks, if the story sucks, how can the movie be good? This dough is the ultimate cloned-stereotype festival. Not funny at all, incredibly boring when not disturbing here and there. In spite of her age, looks like Jennifer Aniston would do anything to get undressed. After all she didn't spend all that money on cosmetic surgery to keep the silicone into her shirt, so any script requiring her to drop her clothes is a yes, regardless how crappy it is. OK, she has never been as gorgeous as Angelina Jolie, but she used to be somewhat averagely pretty. Now her face is made of rubber making her look like Gary Busey, yet another Hollywood transvestite, hurray...

As about the movie, it's cheesier than cheddar. It seems the ideas for funny gags and interesting story simple didn't come out, so they just tried to clone Borat hardly being nearly as funny, when not spreading wrong, twisted values: life sucks unless it's hi voltage, people who don't like reality shows and fast foods all are brainless weirdos talking to trees, you have to stay with your wife regardless whom she sleeps with. If you can't make em laugh at least strike em hard. Undelivered, too boring to strike anybody. And no, all wrong. Life is good in big cities as well provided you aren't an imbecile, I detest crappy TV shows and junk food and I am not a weirdo, if anybody's wife sleeps with another man they are going to kick her out goodbye. Empty story without any sense, dull characters and not a single laugh. I ended up hoping some random lunatic would come up and kill everybody, just to have some actual facts I could mention in this review, but it simply didn't happen. Nothing interesting happens in this bad clone of the lowest spoof flicks with unfunny comedians.

I noticed some reviewers gave this a 10. Either part of the crew or complete morons. If you give this crap a 10/10, how much do you assign to a real comedy, say "A Fish Called Wanda" ? 650/10 ?

Stay away, nothing can be this terrible on TV anyway. If it really sucks, it's the same stuff.

Not worth it, only 2 mins of comedy

Author: latinohabanero from London
7 January 2014

I though the film was a bit cheese, I didn't buy it and it annoyed me quite a bit - the nudity was quite bad, the plot quite weak and honestly I would literally kill myself if I had to pay to watch this.

What's the point of making a romantic comedy if all it has is nudity (in which nobody has the right figure for the screen) and I know we mostly judge by shape and looks these days but it was all Eeeeeeewwwwww!

I originally though it was worth the watch since it got quite a lot of bad reviews and a few good ones but the ones that liked it were annoyed at those who didn't so I had to see what the fuss was all about and damn, it had bad reviews for a reason, if you want to get bored and waste your time then be my guest but you've been warned fellas.

Author: Jacob Rosen (bix171@comcast.net) from United States
6 January 2014

There's not too much going on here. Idiosyncratic comedian David Wain directs and co-writes a trifle about two yuppies (Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston) forced to relocate to Georgia and end up on a commune run by a spiritualist with hidden intentions (Justin Theroux). There isn't a moment that isn't predictable with only a couple of modest laughs. Rudd is quickly turning into the Everyman of ca-ca jokes (not a good thing) while Aniston still would rather take roles that highlight her beauty rather than the more demanding ones (such as "The Good Girl") that she attempted shortly after her film career began in earnest. Director Wain offers no indication that his style of humor (wacky, awkward moments) has the heft that is needed to distinguish it from anyone else; it's unfortunately evident he belongs here in the stable of Judd Apatow's bland filmmakers.

Hippies and Yuppies--both realistic

Author: Rodenmm from United States
16 November 2012

The most hilarious scenes in this movie occur when the writers take everything about a character that seems stereotyped and generalized and go with it. I have lived in both worlds and I know real, breathing people a lot like the characters who may seem "over the top" to most vanilla reviewers. That's what makes it so wonderful to me. Of course there is the occasional stretch for Hollywood's sake, but all in all, I don't see it as outlandish and utterly impossible to believe throughout. I could practically name hippies of Elysium after college friends and although the brother's family in Atlanta are also painted as the end-of- spectrum for their tight-ass ways, they could just be a funnier version of people I've know.

good lazy Sunday movie

Author: cjaii714 from Indiana
2 October 2012

I have read a lot of bad reviews on this movie, and it really seems that most of them were expecting too much and watched with a closed mind. Maybe they were just too young to enjoy the idea behind it.

I started laughing right at the beginning and was still laughing at the end. Rudd and Aniston are good, as they usually are. And Alda is great. The story isn't any big mystery with some surprise ending, it's just a cute story. There is some vulgar comedy and some nudity, but is is intended for adults. All in all, if you were born in the 60's or 70's you will probably enjoy this movie and most of us just watch a movie once and this one is worth watching one time.

Not for kids... but very funny

Author: Roberta Reppy from Italy
21 September 2012

I watched this movie and I don't understand why it was so criticized. Yeah, there's a rude language in some scenes and you can see even a penis but, hey, it's a really funny comedy if you're not the kind of person that be offended by the view of a penis on the screen. This is not a movie for kids, it's a comedy for adults and this is why they used this kind of language and images. They could be inappropriate for the real life, but they're absolutely in for this movie and its story. There's not much of a story indeed. The little story was the pretest to make the two city guys meet with the community. We have this couple confronting with this totally new life style. There are some scenes less funny than others, but I laughed for mostly the entire movie. I'm not the kind of person that use a bad language in life but I wasn't scandalized by this movie. If you are sensible to bad language, maybe this is not a movie for you, but if you don't ave this kind of problem, it could be a great comedy. Rudd is not one of the most famous actors in the world, but it's was great in this movie, I loved it. The mirror scene was so funny, and it was an improvisation. Even Aniston was very nice. I recommend this movie to all the people that want only to have some fun seeing what happen to city people meeting a life style without doors, privacy, stress and where the free love rule.

A couple is forced to choose between living under the rules of the open community they love, and forgo their materialistic ways, or, resort back to their normal lives.

Author: kspeis from United States
7 September 2012

Wanderlust is a comedic suspense film with a star-studded cast. Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd play a married couple in New York City, George and Linda, who are searching for happiness in all the wrong places. George is a cynical businessman at a large company who hates his job but works hard to provide for his frivolous wife. Linda is a fun-loving woman who changes her occupation more than her clothes. She describes herself as an entrepreneur who has yet to find her niche. When he gets laid off from his well-paying job and HBO declines her depressing penguin documentary, they are forced to move out of their newly purchased "micro loft" to go live with his wealthy, crude, brother in Georgia. A chain of events leads them to a hippy-commune-in-denial, Elysium. After the couple spends some time in the confinements of his tormenting brothers house, and then in the warm community Elysium provided they come to a hard decision. They are forced to choose between living under the rules of the open community they love, and forgo their materialistic ways, or, resort back to their normal lives.

I haven't seen anything like Wanderlust. To me, the plot and levity does not match any other comedy in the past decade. However, the director, David Wain, has written and directed a plethora of movies that are similar such as The Ten and Role Models which both have similar humor and each feature Paul Rudd. I appreciate the comedy brought to light through Elysium. They light-heartedly made fun of how hippies or commies act in certain situations. They also added in all the working parts of a stereotypical commune such as: nudity, marijuana, hallucinogens, free love, and peace to animals and nature. These elements added to the humor, and surprised the audience in every scene, taking each joke to the edge of being too far. Paul Rudd does improve throughout the movie, which brought out even more laughs from the audience. At the same time they made fun of the typical hot-headed rich guy through George's extremely crude brother, Rick, played by Ken Marino, who made his fortune in the port-a-potty business. I could relate to the way materialistic wants pulls us away from what is truly important in life. After watching this movie it made me want to be a part of a commune because of the way everyone got along and how caring everyone is for each other. The other underlying theme in this film is that the sense of community can easily be destroyed when everyone is competing to have the nicer house, clothes, car, and etcetera. When Wanderlust came out in February I was convinced that Jennifer Aniston's relationship with co-star, Justin Theroux, was a publicity stunt. Now that the two are engaged it is amusing to watch their chemistry in this film and see why his brilliant comedic acting grabbed her attention.

A mediocre, but not boring, comedy

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
22 August 2012

Inside the avalanche of vulgar and "post-modern" (or whatever they are) comedies inspired or produced by Judd Apatow, Role Models was one of my favorite ones, because I didn't only find it funny, but also honest in the interaction between its characters and in the structure from its narrative (besides, it made a tribute to the music band Kiss, something which always helps). Since then, director David Wain preferred to focus himself on TV (including the excellent "micro-series" Children's Hospital); and this year, he went back to cinema with Wanderlust, which despite being moderately entertaining, I found it mediocre, and much less funny and sincere than Role Models.

I found Wanderlust too frivolous and convenient, when it could have taken advantage of th opportunity to examine (with humor) the pros and cons of the hippie rebirth, whose proposal of a simple and community life evokes the ideas from the "social revolutionaries" of the 60's. Unfortunately, co-screenwriters Wain and Ken Marino preferred to stay on a much simpler level, with obvious and superficial jokes which don't have the endorsement of a real message behind the humor. Sure, it was easier to put naked men in uncomfortable situations, and expect the audience to find that automatically funny.

The moments in which Wanderlust made me moderately laugh didn't come from the scenes the film considered funnier (for example, the forced appearances of the novelist/oenologist/nudist, or the classic "freak-out" from a serious and repressed person who accidentally took hallucinogenic drugs), but from small moments of personal revelation. Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston bring charisma to the leading roles, but the screenplay doesn't give them very substantial material to work with. The actors who stand out during the previously mentioned moments of personal revelation are Marino, Michaela Watkins, Kathryn Hahn, Malin Akerman and Jessica St. Clair.

So, I think I can give Wanderlust a slight recommendation, even though it didn't leave me very satisfied, mainly because I found the humor excessively easy and predictable. Something I didn't like very much either was that, near the ending, Wain and Marino tried to add artificial drama through external and internal factors, like if they realised the fact that there isn't a concrete story too late, but only a chain of humorous sketches with the general subject of "natural life vs. civilization". Nevertheless, I have to say that Wanderlust managed to keep me moderately entertained despite my various complaints against it.

And the answer is NO.. you don't see them.

Author: Anton Thomas from New Zealand
24 July 2012

I think we all know what I mean, about a year out from the release there were reports Aniston was going to bare her chest for once.. I will save you the 98 minutes of Anticipation. It doesn't happen. Not sure if that's a spoiler alert or not.. but I will tick the box.

I thought the movie was okay at best. It did have some funny parts. I thought Paul Rudd was funny as usual and he definitely made the movie. I thought Justin whatshisface was trying to be Will Forte.. seriously, they should have cast him instead. Aniston was beautiful as always.. Seriously Brad Pitt what were you thinking??

Give it a watch. Nothing too great, but it's not a dogs breakfast.

Straight to the point,

Tony from NZ

A 2nd rate attempt at a "Lost In America" update, minus the consistent humor

Author: Twins65 from Lindenhurst, IL
5 October 2012

WANDERLUST had potential, as I laughed several times in the beginning until they got to the commune. Rudd and Aniston make a believable husband and wife team as an upwardly mobile Manhattan couple that ultimately wasn't really on the way up. And the scenes driving south and at his brother's place sure aped the Albert Brooks' mid-80's masterpiece I referenced in my title line, up to and including a version of the "My legs are tired, let's live here" line which caused them to pull over.

Unfortunately, they pulled over at the Elysium commune, where the movie vibe was just way more weird than funny. I still laughed a few more times thanks to Rudd, as he's probably one of my favorite actors these days, both when he's playing the straight man off comedy or slinging zingers off the absurd (like a giant prosthetic dick in his face or taking a dump with company). But there just wasn't enough "comedy" to sustain WANDERLUST, and I can see why it ultimately failed to find an audience at the multiplexes. I really doubt it will find one on DVD either.

I guess what I'm really saying is to go ahead and watch "Lost In America" again, and take a pass on this one.

A Lazy, Disappointing Comedy of Hippie Clichés

Author: brando647 from Spring Hill, FL
2 October 2012

There wasn't a whole lot of advertising for WANDERLUST when it was making it's way to theaters and it sort of snuck in under the radar. This confused me at the time because Paul Rudd is a bankable leading comic actor, Jennifer Aniston has a baffling audience appeal, and director David Wain was responsible for the well-received ROLE MODELS (again, with Rudd) in 2008. So why was this movie receiving so little media attention? I was determined to see it regardless because the premise was something that struck a chord with me and I had faith in the filmmakers. So when I finally saw the movie, I understood it all: the movie was overlooked because it fails. It's not a horrible movie. It has a handful of chuckles somewhere in there but, as a whole, it's almost painful to watch. The movie follows George and Linda Gergenblatt (Rudd and Aniston), a Manhattan couple who are forced from their big city life when George loses his job. En route to Atlanta to receive help from George's obnoxious brother Rick, George and Linda stop for a night at the Elysium Bed & Breakfast, an intentional community of hippies living together on a farm under the guidance of Seth (Justin Theroux). George and Linda are smitten with their freedom and the overwhelming sense of peace emanating from these open-minded, loving people and opt to give commune life a chance. But when Elysium's free-wheeling ways begin to weigh on George, it might become the final death blow for his marriage.

There are just so many misfires in this movie that I didn't anticipate. I had a lot of hope for the cast of the movie, as Elysium was populated with talented comedians, both improv and tradition: Joe Lo Truglio, Jordan Peele, Kerri Kenney, and even Alan Alda. I still consider Paul Rudd one of the funniest straight-men in modern comedies (despite WANDERLUST) and I was even willing to give Jennifer Aniston the benefit of the doubt after her turn in last year's HORRIBLE BOSSES. Justin Theroux was a big selling point for me, as I know he had a hand in writing one of my favorite comedies (TROPIC THUNDER) and he was one of the few high points in an otherwise disappointing YOUR HIGHNESS. I can tell everyone on set was giving their role everything they had, and I feel like a lot of the blame for why this movie flopped so bad lies with the writers and director. It looks to me as if David Wain relies a little too heavily on improvising on set and doesn't know when to cut a camera. I've seen him in behind the scenes footage and he obviously has a very awkward sense of humor that can work but maybe in smaller doses. And then there's Ken Marino. Marino wrote the screenplay with Wain, and he also has a role in the movie as George's brother Rick. I'm hoping Marino is no where near as obnoxious a person as his character, but if his improvised bits are any indication he has a harder time knowing when to reel it in than Wain.

This leads to my biggest complaint with the movie: it just doesn't know when to end a joke. There are too many moments in the movie where the humor from a scene comes and goes but the movie refuses to move on. The biggest example (and the one you'll see most hated on in the forums for this movie) is when George is trying to hype himself up to seduce Eva (Malin Akerman). He stands in front of a bathroom mirror trying out his dirty talk in all manner of voices and facial contortions. What first starts as a chuckle (because it was never too funny to begin with) quickly turns to groans and then pleading for the story to move on. Which it does. To a scene where he is in Eva's bedroom doing the whole thing over again, except now Eva is present to share in the awkward disgust. This was the sequence in the movie where I officially gave up trying to care. It was hard enough from the start because so many of the characters are just so abrasive and unlikable with the exception of poor George. George is the only "normal" person here. It's as if he's fallen into some bizarre alternate universe where people have forgotten how to act like…I don't know…people. His wife Linda is an ungrateful shrew from the beginning, giving George a hard time when he loses his job (which wasn't his fault) while pursuing her own umpteenth failed career attempt. The residents of Elysium, for the most part, are just horrible people. Judgmental, rude, and unforgiving…and these are supposed to be hippies. Some of their shtick is funny, particularly Peele and Lo Truglio's characters.

On top of everything, the script is lazy. It relies on clichés for most of the laughs: the average man's reaction to casual nudity, pot smoking and guitar playing hippies, a bizarre, over-the-top connection to nature and human emotion. There is no real characterization to most of the inhabitants. It's just a bunch of surface jokes about the common perception of hippies with some naked old people thrown in for good measure. The final result is a movie that might elicit a few laughs out of you, but more than likely will have you wishing the 98 minute run-time didn't feel twice as long and feeling sorry for poor George Gergenblatt.

Just a nasty, offbeat comedy that is just a bit too dirty to be good.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
4 July 2012

You will like this movie if you like totally irreverent humor and don't mind lots of bad language, lots of nudity, and lots of open discussion of sex acts and body functions. If you don't care for that sort of stuff in a movie then definitely skip this one.

For me it was too much, but in a strange sort of way I enjoyed most of it. I can't give it a very good rating, nor would I recommend it to any friends, but I did enjoy the quirky path it takes.

Paul Rudd is ambitious George Gergenblatt and his wife is Jennifer Aniston as ambitious Linda Gergenblatt. They just bought a small efficiency in Manhattan, a "micro loft", then the next day his company dissolves while HBO rejects her latest film project. So they hit the road, off to Atlanta where George's brother lives, but stop one night at a B&B that is actually a commune of hippies. When his psycho brother turns out to be a bad idea, they retreat to the commune and decide to try out that life. It seems so much more relaxed than the rat race of New York.

So the movie is really about their adventures in the commune, chock full of quirky characters. Every last one of them, including the founder from 1971, Alan Alda as Carvin, getting around in a motorized wheelchair. Perhaps the best is Justin Theroux as Seth, musician and philosopher, who ends up chasing Linda and coveting her for his own.

Cute Malin Akerman is Eva. The funniest is Joe Lo Truglio as Wayne , a nudist winemaker. Wayne never has any clothes on, and for costume he wears a rather prominent prosthetic member for most scenes.

Not really the kind of movie I enjoy, but I have to admit I laughed often, mostly in response to the absurdity of most situations.

Justin Theroux, in my opinion, steals the show!

Author: Hellmant from United States
21 June 2012

'WANDERLUST': Three and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

Filmmaker David Wain and actor Paul Rudd reteam (after working together on the 2001 cult classic comedy 'WET HOT American SUMMER' and the 2008 comedy hit 'ROLE MODELS') for this 'Free Love' culture clash comedy. It co-stars Jennifer Aniston (which is also a reteaming with Rudd, after working together on 'FRIENDS' for several episodes as well as the 1998 comedy 'OBJECT OF MY AFFECTION') as well as a large ensemble cast including Justin Theroux, Malin Akerman, Alan Alda and Ken Marino (who also co-wrote the film with the director, Wain). The story focuses on a married couple hit with hard times because of the economy who decides to try living at a rural 'hippy' commune. The movie is funny, thanks to great efforts from the entire cast and Wain's directing, but the script could have used a little more work.

Rudd plays George, a recently unemployed financial firm executive, and Aniston plays his wife Linda, who had been working on a documentary about the shocking truth of penguin sexual habits (a real documentary with similar subject matter recently made headlines) which was rejected by HBO. They decide to move in with George's brother Rick (Marino) and his wife Marisa (Michaela Watkins) in Georgia, where Rick offered George a job, but after his brother drives them insane they decide to pack up and move again. They return to the bed and breakfast they stopped at on the way because they had such a good time with the 'free love' residents there and decide to throw their conventional lifestyle away for a new experimental life at the commune. Once they've stayed there for a little while though life there begins to drive them crazy as well.

The movie is quite funny at times and not so funny at others but it's never dull. The characters, for the most part, are all enjoyable and or likable and the performances are all more than adequate as well. Rudd is in his usual top form and it's nice to see Aniston trying something a little different, which is what she's always best at. Alda is hilarious and Justin Theroux, in my opinion, steals the show; he has some of the best line delivery I've seen in a comedy this year. The movie does leave you wanting a little more, there was potential for the filmmakers to deliver something really good here, but it's still a decent enough comedy that's definitely worth a watch in my opinion.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVtbIzK8ZjQ

Below Belt Flop

Author: george2015 from United Kingdom
5 March 2012

In its earliest frames Wanderlust rips along, precision-aimed at the credit crunch generation, nervous of the future and all-too-familiar with the kind of real estate shyster who'll claim your prospective purchase is not studio but micro-loft, but once you try to sell, says it is not micro-loft, more unshiftable studio apartment.

But then things meander.

The leading couple George and Linda (Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston) end up implausibly comfortable, their days of free love and tripping at the Elysium commune concluded. Elsewhere the movie is a blur of bouncing body parts (you have to admire a production that de-clothes its entire cast, the sole exceptions allowed to stay covered being the hot young women), hippie idiocies and flecks of hypocrisy within idealism.

There is sporadic laugh-out-loud brilliance of observation: the guy back in New York texting George about a (non-existent) prospective high-paying job for a prank; the new money older brother (Ken Marino) only sheltering George and Linda in order to humiliate them, and the reinvigorated attitude of the TV folks to the casino development news story once the protesters on camera have removed their bras.

Is Wanderlust actually any good? Or is it just a morass of disparate comic sketches and flopping appendages?

Anyone offended by nudity should steer clear, as should anyone, indeed, seeking anything either sharply meaningful or full-on searingly amusing. For Wanderlust is neither of these. It never could be: it's too comfortable in its own skin, as useless at being purposeful as a cab driver who gabbles fascinatingly but will also make you miss your plane.

But yes, it is for anyone up for a chortle at hippiedom, who'll be fine with vast expanses of naked flesh, and who'll forgive the plot's unflinching lack of earnestness. Possibly the making of this flick carried overtones of something of a jokey commune - sorry, intentional community - in itself. If not, the bet is that some on-hoof improvisation was never far absent.

Wander Where?

Author: MC1-Bjornson from A rural location in Wisconsin USA
22 April 2012

"Wanderlust", Rated "R" for Adult Situations, Profanity, Adult Humor, Sexual Dialog, Graphic Nudity & Mild Violence. Running Time: 1hr&38mns.

My Take: ** (Out of ****) -or- 6/10 on the IMDb scale

I love my friend Lisa. She's a sweet girl who's always been searching for herself. She's spent a lot of time traveling and studying other cultures and philosophies. I remember corresponding with her when she lived in the woods at a commune in Florida. That's been quite awhile back. Last I knew, she wants to conceive a "shaman baby" that will grow up to be a great spiritual leader and teacher.

I couldn't help but think of Lisa as I watched "Wanderlust," the latest Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston date comedy. In addition to Lisa, there were many characters in the movie that I could totally relate to. That is what struck me the most: all the people in the movie that reminded me of many souls I've met over the years and still hold friendships with to this very day. "Wanderlust" overflows with "Lisas." In the opposite end of the spectrum, is a materialistic character of great independent wealth with his dissatisfied trophy wife. Wow, do I know my fair share of these guys in real life too. These self-employed businessmen may have it made financially though they might not be happy. I am also sure many do not know what they really want.

The film opens with the forty-something yuppie-wannabe couple George (Rudd, "I Love You Man") and Linda (Aniston, "The Bounty Hunter"), who are trying to make it in New York City. They purchased an overpriced micro-sized apartment believing, no, hoping this is the world for them. They want to be self-sustaining and successful. After George's employer goes bankrupt, he finds himself out of work. Linda's documentary pitch to HBO also didn't pan out. Down and out in today's economy, things look really grim.

George's self-serving brother Rick (Ken Marino, "Californication") offers to take George and Linda into his over-sized Georgia home and give George a job. On their way, George and Linda take lodging at Elysium, a free-spirited commune off the beaten path. It is here, George and Linda encounter a variety of kind, yet eccentrically open souls. George and Linda enjoyed their Elysium stay. They are welcomed by those who dwell there to live with them, but they decide to continue on their way to George's brother's place.

When the couple finally makes it to Rick's enormous home, they see firsthand what a miserable life Rick leads. He's arrogant, condescending and adulterous. His bored wife Marissa (Michaela Watkins, "Enlightened") is perpetually boozed-up to help her cope with loneliness and a virtual non-existence. Deciding to leave it all behind, George and Linda elect to move into the Elysium commune.

What we get here is the "fish out of water" story. There are some funny bits about George and Linda trying to grasp the concepts of "free-spiritedness." Alan Alda ("Tower Heist") is great as the former hippie Carvin who helped to buy this property in 1971. A lifetime of being free of society's materialism and regular "overindulgences" have helped Calvin to remain as the gentle being that he is.

Probably one of the most memorable characters in the movie is Wayne (Joe Lo Truglio, "Role Models"). He is a nudist vintner who likes to write novels and screenplays. It doesn't matter if the material he writes is boring and mundane. He's a happy camper no matter what. His first on-screen appearance is what will stand out for most people.

The sultry Eva (Malin Akerman, "Watchmen") is all-about a free-love encounter with the married George. Meanwhile the maniacal Seth (Justin Theroux, "Your Highness") has designs of his own in store for Linda and the fate of the commune.

There is an earnest sappiness about those living at Elysium. Each character exhibits a strong dislike and mistrust of the world outside. They are perfectly content with themselves and their spiritual journeys. For them, there is no other way to live. These characters are rather chipper and, unfortunately, contrived. Maybe that's why I'm giving this movie a mediocre review.

I felt the subject of a yuppie couple moving to a rural commune was ripe for a comedic ribbing. After all, the stories I've heard about what goes on in these places, including how genuine and dear the people who reside in them are, would lend to a very interesting and very humorous movie. However, in the case of "Wanderlust," I couldn't help but feel that the characters on the screen are fairly stereotypical ones. They were one-dimensional "cookie-cutter" weirdos, so to speak. Sure, there were some funny bits in this picture, but not enough for me to recommend it. Where were the big laughs? This kind of "fish out of water" story should have been "off the hook" with side-splitting laughs. Why weren't they there?

"Wanderlust" was directed by David Wain, who also did the much funnier film "Role Models" (2008). The cast features some of the usual actors that appear in the Judd Apatow ("The 40 Year Old Virgin" and "Superbad") "potty-mouth" comedies of the last decade. All the makings for a great over-the-top comedy seemed to be in place for "Wanderlust," but the film ultimately feels a little tame to me. With this much talent involved, there's no excuse for "Wanderlust" to be as pedestrian as it is.

"Wanderlust" is an okay film with likable folks. It aspires to be more than what it is and it shows. I hope the topic of communal free-spirited living will be revisited someday by filmmakers willing to do something daring and outrageously funny with the material. Hopefully those filmmakers would have enough sense to talk to Lisa. Man, does she have some great stories. Now any one of those tales would be "infinitely" funnier than what this movie was.

It just never really gets any good.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
28 June 2012

This is an offensively bad movie or one that constantly annoyed me but there is just absolutely nothing about it that stands out or ever works out as anything truly great or hilarious.

No, I really didn't get any laughs out of this movie, expect for the very random Ray Liotta cameo. For some reason Ray Liotta cameo's always make me laugh. But other than that, the movie is offering far too little laughs. It's all quite predictable and besides its moments often go on for far too long.

Same goes for the entire movie. It just goes on and on, without making a clear point about anything. Seriously, the movie for the longest time is going absolutely nowhere and I still don't understand why this movie exists. It's one you can very easily do without.

It's also definitely because of its premise that I just see this as a very pointless and a not all that great comedy. I just couldn't buy into its premise of city folks suddenly trying to live in a rural commune. For me there was no good reason why they even tried this and it really doesn't work out as anything convincing. I wish the movie would had done more with its story and characters, to at least make the movie a bit more amusing to watch.

I honestly really like Paul Rudd but if he like him or any of the other actors in this movie, this is still not a good reason to go and see this movie. The material they all had to work what was just too weak and not all of the jokes seem to have been thought through thoroughly enough, probably because most of the movie its jokes came from the actor's improvising on the spot.

Definitely not worth seeing, though it remains far from the worst stuff the genre has to offer.

Stupidest movie I watched in the last decade!

Author: Samer b
30 March 2012

Basically, if you fancy stupidity and disgusting comedy then this might be something you like. it's the stupidest most worthless movie I've seen in a decade.

I wanted to leave 20 minutes in but I had to stay because it was a birthday present.

The stupidity, disgusting images and regret for the 2 hours waste of my life haunted me for days.

Intelligent and creative humor is absent except for a 1 minute scene in the whole movie.

Not worth it.

I had to force myself to sit through the end

Author: MoviesAboutLife from United States
15 July 2012

Wanderlust was so bad that I had to force myself to sit through the end. The trailers had prepared me for full-on laughter, but I found myself unable to muster even a chuckle. Neither Paul Rudd nor Jennifer Aniston performed even close to their peak abilities. Actually, Jennifer's been going downhill since Friends, with mindless blockbusters like Along Came Polly. Paul Rudd was far better in I Love You Man. He is not even as funny as his dimwitted figure in the TV show Parks and Recreation.

The movie attempts entertain us through moments of awkwardness but fails even at that. Through its scenes of random nudity and crassness, Wanderlust finds itself among the ranks of Hollywood's busts.

Funny!!!!!

Author: jnova20 from Cincinnati, OH
22 February 2012

This was one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time! Cute storyline & very entertaining! Not appropriate for under 17 (nudity & language). Jennifer Aniston is awesome in this role, she's very funny and fun to watch. Paul Rudd is hysterical in this role! Paul Rudd & Jennifer Aniston are great together in this movie. The storyline is unique - there's nothing out there like this. All of the actors in this movie are funny. They all mesh well together and do an awesome job of really making you feel like you are there with them in the movie! There's nudity and language, but if you're not too squeamish ore sensitive, it is just hilarious!

Dreadful,...

Author: Saad Khan from Pakistan
11 June 2012

Wanderlust – TRASH IT (D) It won't be wrong to say that Wanderlust is Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd's worst movie till date. There is no story and even they don't utilize the R-Rating in their best benefits. For Jennifer, if she is not comfortable with the R-rated scenes she should not have done this movie. I think they did cut the Justin Theroux and Jennifer Aniston sex scene since they've started dating in real life. Anyways it wouldn't have made any difference but still at least it would have made sense to the story. Paul Rudd, Jennifer Aniston, Justin Thereoux, Malin Akerman all are victim of bad script and screenplay. There is nothing funny about cult or nudists as such. Simply trash this garbage. No wonder its one of the biggest duds of 2012.

Jennifer Aniston should stop making rom-coms

Author: SnoopyStyle
8 February 2014

George (Paul Rudd) and Linda (Jennifer Aniston) Gergenblatt are NY yuppies moving into their tiny expensive loft. Then George's workplace gets shut down by the Feds. Linda is thrown out of HBO for her ridiculous film. They have no choice but to sell their place and move to Atlanta to work for George's annoying brother Rick (Ken Marino). On the way, they stop off at Elysium where the place is filled with lefties weirdos.

There is something wrong with Aniston as a rom-com lead. She's too mean unlikeably high maintenance. She has never come off as America's sweetheart. IMO she needs to do something different. Her best performance remains her lead role in 'The Good Girl'. This movie has a few odd performances with all the weirdos at the compound. It's meant to be funny but it just struck me as simply weird. The only comedy comes from Paul Rudd reacting to it all. There are just too many unlikeable elements in this. I don't like Ken Marino. I don't like the cheating storyline. I don't like Justin Theroux. And mostly I don't like Jennifer Aniston.

Not So Good

Author: simplynewt from Alabama
20 October 2013

Although I like and appreciate both of these actors in this movie, I did not fully appreciate the value or content of the flick.

It started out good enough but soon lost my interest shortly thereafter. it could have been the plot in general or just the ho hum way in which the story was told and presented.

There are several excellent supporting actors in this flick as well and I thought they all did a good job but the brief nudity exhibited could have been more creative.

I always look forward to a flick that has Jennifer in it and am usually not disappointed in the flicks she acts in but this time I was surely let down. I do hope she will choose better roles in her future projects.

Let's wear flowers in your hair

Author: IzEvents from San Francisco
10 April 2013

I love Jennifer Anniston and Paul Rudd!

I relate this movie to Pineapple Express or Your Highness because of it's random twists within the movie--acid trips, open sex relationships, a horse in one scene.

The plot is very straightforward: marriage going down hill due to unemployment/financial issues and they go through a phase to rekindle their love.

I think the humor bests fits to those who have done a commune or experienced what they experienced. I can see how viewers may not think it's funny or think its idiotic. There are some scenes that make you think "what the heck!?. BUT because of it's edgy it-goes-there scenes, it makes the viewer stay for more.

I live in San Francisco so this movie definitely can fit into some of the San Franciscans here in the city. I see it everyday. I love it! They have no worries and they're full of love. Cultured and spiritual. A remembrance that life isn't always routine.

Obnoxious but not all that funny

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
14 January 2013

This movie wasn't all that funny and just has crude jokes all around that just seem random. Which is fine but it's just not funny. Just about everyone in this movie is just obnoxious and annoying to watch. It's okay if there are few of these characters but everyone in this movie just acts like handicapped people. Nothing against handicapped people, but the characters in this movie aren't handicapped but act like they are. The plot is about these couple that end up losing their apartment in New York cause they can't afford it after the husband loses his job. So the husband decides to work for his brother who is a complete obnoxious prick. But they get into a accident because of a naked guy that lives with communes. And ends up spending the night there. Than they leave for the brother's job but ends up coming back to the commune because his brother is a self-obsessed prick. This movie really does show communes as crazy and obnoxious people that are bunch of hypocrites that act like they have single digit IQ. I don't know if communes are really like that because I never been to one but that is how it's portrayed in this movie. The obnoxious jokes gets stale after a while and it just become crazier and crazier but it isn't really all that funny. This isn't a bad movie but didn't leave much good impression after it was finished.

5.8/10

Utterly Predictable

Author: Roedy Green from Victoria, BC. Canada
16 August 2013

This movie is entirely predictable. One ever more horrible unlikely bad thing happens to our protagonists after another. Things become even more predictable once they drop into Elysium, a free love commune. The writers did not like their Elysium characters. They sneer at them. I would have enjoyed the movie much more if the writers enjoyed and loved their creations, and just celebrated their dippy eccentricity. The writers seem to spit on anyone who does not eat meat, or drinks smoothies. To them, the vegan life style is not just an odd choice, but something deeply evil. It is almost as though they hired George W. Bush as a script-writing consultant.

There is one scene when Paul Rudd has what could be called be an attack of Tourette's syndrome. It is so gross, I had to turn away. It goes on and on and on. I could not believe anyone would write such revolting lines for Paul Rudd. It is the most disgusting monologue I have ever heard in movies.

The movie has a ridiculous happy fairy tale ending, which is rather fun, helping to take away the bitter flavour of the comedy.

Offensive to brain owners

Author: Massimiliano Masetti from Prato, Italy
31 May 2013

A real mess, stupid and boring. I cannot believe the talented Aniston and the very good Rudd accepted this role. This is a lousy movie, pointless, offensive to brain owners! Dialogues are creepy surreal, people shown are a bunch of fools and not a laugh is produced. The peak of gross is the birth of a kid on the porch I cannot believe I wasted my time on this crap!

Final scene is predictable an hour before it happens, and final fight between main characters is so nonsense and followed by excuses so fast that you cannot believe how lame that is! Aniston reaches her lowest point, She can only rise from this! And Rudd, with his monologue on approaching a whore going on for ten minutes of not at all funny crap has seriously jeopardized his career

No One Would Lust Over This

Author: thesar-2 from United States
3 March 2013

This is what I thought: I really like Paul Rudd, I'm finally accepting Jennifer "Forever Rachel" Aniston is in two-thirds of every year's comedies and the trailer of Wanderlust looked like a funny and original film.

This is what I got: a migraine of mass destruction, a horribly put-together mess of absent laughs and long list of cameos that have to be ashamed to have had said yes in the first place.

Wanderlust is an abomination of wasted space and talent. I hated every minute of this movie and kept waiting for it to redeem itself. Instead, I witnessed Paul Rudd unconvincingly channeling Jim Carrey later in the picture and in front of a mirror talking about his little Rudd below. I think Mr. Carrey should sue for defamation of character.

After getting an apartment the size of the west wing of Karen Walker's closet, the zero-chemistry couple, George (Rudd) and Linda (Aniston) are jobless and homeless (overnight, no less.) Giving up within seconds of losing his job and solving their problem, they venture onto George's even less funny and dick of a brother, but along the route south, they happen along a hippie commune.

This happens to brighten up their last night before they reach George's sad brother and his wacked wife's house. When living with family goes south, they head back to fake "become one with nature" home. From there, they plan on a two-week trial to see if they like living with a wheelchair-bound Hawkeye Pierce and a butt-naked wine-maker. While you'll know exactly where each scene is headed, you'll expect laughs along the way but only to be disappointed with each missed opportunity. I mean, Paul's a funny guy…until now.

Maybe it's not his fault. Actually, I don't blame him for the aimless direction, poor editing, script problems and list of uninterested actors. It's supposed to make you feel good about life and nature, but I'd just as well take advice from Eric Cartman on going green than what they're trying to teach me.

Avoid this mess at all costs. Even if I was a vegan, I would rather sprint over to McDonald's for a Big Mac in protest…even though, I doubt that's real meat – but it's the effort that counts.

Not worth watching

Author: Marijan Nikic from Zagreb, Croatia
28 January 2013

At the end of this movie there are a few bloopers, in which basically the actors burst into laugh when saying some lines of their respective characters. Watching this, I thought to myself - this movie was obviously funny only to the people on the set, while it was being made. Maybe I would have laughed too if I was there with them. It's either that or none of the actors have any sense of humor. Which I don't believe is the case, because some of these actors are generally good, I guess they just fell victims to a devastatingly bad script.

In other words, this movie sucks big time. I mean, I didn't expect much, since it's a romantic comedy, and such movies are practically supposed to be uninventive and predictable. But this one is almost unbearable to watch. There is no plot whatsoever, the characters are mostly idiotic (not funny kind, just plainly idiotic); I think personally the only positive thing about this movie would be Jennifer Aniston, but her performance wasn't quite admirable as well. I guess that's because the movie didn't require any performance to begin with. Just a bunch of aimless characters, with moronic lines that don't make any sense most of the time.

There is a mild improvement in general perspective of the movie while it gets closer to the end, when it gradually blends into "the romantic-comedy cliché" (I can't believe that I actually said that a cliché is an improvement, but in this case this is true). Unfortunately, it's not remotely enough to make it worth while.

Want my advice? Skip this one!

Good acting but screen writing not great

Author: Robert G. Small, MD from Oklahoma
30 July 2012

Wanderlust 2012 C Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston play a New York couple who love each other but are down on their luck. They visit friends and try to find work but take a wrong turn and wind up in a hippie commune populated by a variety of weird characters who believe in doing whatever feels good. *** This includes nudity, random sex, drugs, smoking dope, and constant bizarre situations. Everyone uses foul language. The couple embrace the life style just short of infidelity. We see full frontal male nudity but when Jennifer Anniston bares her breasts, details are blurred. After their marriage is seriously threatened, the couple finally come to their senses and rejoin civilization. In spite of good acting I found myself fast forwarding to get to the end. (July 2012)

Avoid, there are a 100 better movies whichever way you look

Author: Rameshwar IN from India
14 October 2012

I don't know why this one even got made. Yes I do like Jennifer Aniston, Paul Rudd and even Malin Akerman but not run-of-the-mill comedies. It is full of unfunny gags, under-developed characters and an half-baked script.

George (Rudd) and Linda (Aniston) are happy with their marriage but not their life. They buy a small apartment that is still out of their league which is when George gets fired. George decides to go to his brother to cool off a bit, have a place to live and a job to work at. But they make an unexpected pit stop into a hippy locale and fall in love with their lifestyle and decide to stay there. How they adapt with the people, lifestyle and how they learn about themselves in this experience forms the rest of the story.

Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston are in auto-pilot mode sleepwalking through their respective roles. The director lets the actors have their fun and I really did not care about the rest of the departments. It is neither funny nor raunchy missing both the selling points and the audience will definitely feel cheated on both perspectives.

Avoid, there are a 100 better movies whichever way you look

Funny parts throughout

Author: phd_travel from United States
8 August 2012

This movie has funny moments especially in the beginning (the scenes with Linda Lavin are priceless). When they move to the commune there are some painful parts like the mirror monologue but the laughs more or less continue till the end.

The acting is good with a likable cast. Jennifer Aniston delivers a typical competent performance. Paul Rudd looks younger than her. He's good with the material he is given. Justin Theroux is quite versatile and almost unrecognizable.

It didn't perform very well at the box office. It didn't find it's own special niche like the Hangover or Bridesmaids but I think it had about as many good laughs.

What a piece of garbage

Author: Fearinahandfullofdust from United States
23 July 2012

I literally sat through the entire movie and didn't laugh once. Could we stop with the Forgetting Sarah Marshall clichés, like the man forced to watch the woman participate in rituals that are sexual in nature? It wasn't funny then, and it isn't funny now. What a horribly written waste of time. How many times exactly do Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston plan on playing the same characters? I cannot accurately put into words how disappointed I am that I was talked into enduring this movie. Please save yourselves the misery of watching the careers of the cast slowly drown before your very eyes. Somehow its a stand-alone movie with all the quality of a straight-to-DVD sequel, and it left me full of remorse for the hour and a half I lost.

Wonder how this film got green lighted

Author: movieman_kev from United States
17 July 2012

When George and Linda both get fired at the same time. Him from his job at a financial firm and her (in one of the films more absurd moments) getting her ultra-liberal documentary passed on by HBO. They find themselves at a hippie commune run by Seth, which they initially fall in love with.

This film started off OK, but the relatively few laughs at the beginning tapered off pretty rapidly leaving a rather sour taste in my mouth. I wanted to like this film, it just didn't seem to be in the cards. This made the marginally good "Role Models" seem like a comedy classic by comparison.

My grade: D

Not to shabby, but not Kevin smith funny

Author: CumClarity from Canada
28 March 2012

I went into this movie without expectations and I always find that helps you enjoy a movie more.

This movie over all was funny with laugh out load moments. People in the theatre were snorting and chuckling at some parts.

There were moments when I thought the jokes went on a little too long, or weren't that funny but it was very rare.

Paul Rudd was great, and Jennifer Anniston really was too. I haven't seen Justin Theroux in anything else, and while he was alright I wouldn't say he stole the show. In fact i thought there were a couple of moments I would have appreciated if he hadn't been in them at all.

Alan Alda was hilarious, and so was Malin Akerman and a few others.

My favourite scene is probably the one from the trailer when they get chased by a naked guy, a scene with narcotics in it.

I very much liked this movie although I wouldn't rank it up there with mallrats or anything.

If you like Saturday night live, you will probably like this too

Waste of Time

Author: Ace Rawrman from United States
7 August 2012

I like to compare it to "Did You Hear About the Morgans?" plot line trying to be "Dinner for Schmucks" with forced humor that wasn't really funny. I thought the other two were watchable at some degree, but this movie was just a waste of time. There was no character development, no character attachment, just a story line I can tell you in under 5 minutes and you'd be thankful that I saved you an hour and a half of your life. This might work a TV series, but for an hour and half it went no where. Might be even worth watch the other two movies back to back then watch this one. I don't know what else to say other then this movie was a waste of time and you should not even attempt to watch it unless you are a huge fan of one of the actors.

Farming is simple

Author: frauhicks-1 from United States
28 February 2012

The premise of the movie, that two city folks stumble upon a hippie commune when they want to stay at a bed and breakfast (like people short on cash would even stop at a bed and breakfast rather than a Motel 8 or sleep in the car) and that the residents are stoned all the time yet are able to live off the land so adeptly that life is easy breezy all the time is really stupid. If that was where the laughs came from, maybe the movie would make a little sense. But the laughs are actually vulgar, tiresome, and heehaw the male lead thinks whoopee how great and the female is not sure and then of course the tables are turned. Who would have seen that coming? Don't waste your time.

An actually funny comedy, refreshing LOL

Author: Ron Mike Gehret (toanman) from United States
22 February 2012

I have not seen a good comedy for so long, but my friend and I were cracking up even after we left the theater. The story line was creative, the pace kept me interested ( I am easily bored), not a bunch of hot models but beautiful characters. Jennifer is awesome, and you can tell they had fun making this movie. There were twists and turn that totally surprised me. I pay attention to the audience as well, every where, spontaneous laughter, the nudity shocking but not offensive. Alan Alda had an important role, funny yet endearing. this reminded me so much of home, and my crazy family. So many scenes could have been filmed in the mountains of Eastern Washington, I am now homesick. I am already telling friend they have to see Wanderlust.

Let's Join A Commune!

Author: treeskier802 from United States
27 February 2012

Oh man, was this a fun movie. I didn't have high expectations when I decided to check out Wanderlust. I didn't know all that much about the movie. It turned out to be the type of comedy I really enjoy--one that is a new, fresh idea.

Rudd and Aniston are New Yorkers who must leave the city to pursue less expensive living arrangements. The move to Atlanta to live with Rudd's obnoxious brother, but on the way, get side tracked at a commune.

The commune seems like a fun change for Rudd, but Aniston is unsure. As it turns out, Aniston likes the commune more than Rudd.

There is so much crazy humor in this movie that I don't know where to begin. There is a scene where Rudd is talking to himself in a mirror that brought my girlfriend and I to tears. The entire theater was rolling in laughter...and to me THAT is always a lot of fun.

If you like comedies and don't mind crude humor, do yourself a favor and go see this movie in the theaters. This comedy is a must see at the theater. I think because of the nature of the humor, it is best viewed when you can laugh along with a big crowd.

I rate this 9 of 10 stars. Absolutely hilarious!

Good concept but the execution was just bad and unfunny

Author: Zaphod from United States
9 March 2013

Well ,Wanderlust is another one of those movies with a good concept which was simply going down the drain because of its bad execution.

The first thing coming to mind while watching this movie is the fact that it's simply not funny in every possible way...the whole thing needed some decent editing on the writing: jokes (which were vulgar) ,sequence of events (really boring...nothing really interesting happened during the movie...) ,characters (needed some more character development...) ,and script.

In addition to that ,the movie really missed one of its most important points: showing how uncomfortable George and Linda are feeling in the Elysium community and how they're dealing with it during their everyday life... and besides ,I think that the casting of Paul Rudd was obviously wrong- someone like Ben Stiller ,Owen Wilson or Vince Vaughn would've been much better as George.

In conclusion: waste of time ,unfunny ,crapfest.

Entertaining

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
18 July 2012

This film is about a couple who lost their recently purchased apartment in Manhattan. They go to a commune for shelter, and find their lives turned upside down.

"Wanderlust" is a funny comedy. It is often over the top, outrageous and sometimes makes no sense, but that is why it is funny. I am a little surprised to see Jennifer Aniston in this film because there are scenes which requires her to do grossed out things (involving a leaf), but I am glad she did because it is so funny. The commune has interesting characters, they are hilarious as well. Though it is clear how the plot will progress, it is still entertaining to watch. "Wanderlust" certainly serves the purpose of creating laughters and brainless fun.

Not terrible

Author: pocky fdadada
19 July 2012

I don't like Jennifer Aniston movies, and the whole hippy commune thing has been overdone a little in films, but that being said, I did really enjoy the movie. The main plot was a little predictable but you never really knew how the characters were going to act, so that provided a lot of humor. There were one or two scenes that did the "family guy" thing, ie, going on far too long and just being uncomfortable. The mirror scene I laughed at the first minute, cringed the next, and felt sick towards the end lol... Although because of this set up I found the credits out-take scene of this hilarious. I wouldn't have recommended seeing this in the cinema, but it's funny enough in places with a heartwarming end.

C*ck Soup

Author: ieatdogsforbreakfast from South Africa
15 June 2012

There's one line in the movie where the male lead says "is there anywhere in this you can go without getting a c*ck in your face Well that just about sums up most of these types of comedies Really what the F*ck willywood sorry Hollywood is everyone gay there or what Is c*ck really that funny to anyone apart from retarded teen age girls for gods sake we live in a world with the internet there really is no shock value to this kind of bullsh*t If its shock your after (because it cant be laughs) then show some vulva Its never been done in a Hollywood movie But of coarse we no gays hate p*ssy Oh and by the way the movie is sh*te

Jennifer, stop making movies!!!

Author: m-afrodith from Germany
14 June 2012

I hated the movie. It was wasting my time watching stoned people having boring parties and boring conversations. Annistons performance(?) was awful. She is not fresh anymore. She was badly pretending to ...act! I hardly remember another worse performance. She must give up making movies (she does not act anyway). After 30 minutes I walked out!!! I could not believe in my eyes... I saw the movie in a sneak preview yesterday in Berlin, so I didn't know what I supposed to see. Otherwise, I would have definitely not chosen it for ruining my evening. I want my money back, I am really angry with those who showed me a really bad movie!!! Do not make the mistake to give your precious money to that ...thing!!! That was comedy or something?? I couldn't get it!

Funny and wildly inappropriate (in a good way)

Author: Colin Douglas Brackenridge
26 February 2012

Very Role Model-esque in the humour here. Yes there was very crude moments but they were funny. Also lots of references to previous Aptow movies with scenes of the commune folks singing the faux Wings song from Role Models. If you enjoyed Role Models you will enjoy this as well. Paul Rudd was at his best with his unique sarcastic comedy. Jennifer Aniston was surprisingly funny, since I found her as annoying as anything in every other comedy she's done. Alan Alda's character is a funny side bit and very reminiscent of this actor's comedic ability shown in MASH. I would say the only thing missing from this would have been a Jane Lynch character since we had the quite a few of the Role Model cast in this.

This could have been a good movie

Author: tiredoftry from United States
3 March 2012

Take out all the unneeded cursing and unneeded full frontal male (and some female) nudity, and you will have about 10 minutes of decent movie. This movie could have easily been much much better. With the nudity, it is interesting that they only showed the one middle aged man and a bunch of much older people, nude and running - very bad and unneeded) and did not show the younger women much at all.

To top it off, when I saw one of the scenes (where the nudist is caring in the bags) from the trailer and noticed they actually changed the words in the trailer so they could air it at any time during the day. Cheap and again another unneeded change. If they can't show the actual wording, do 'fake' it.

Redoing the wording and removing the unneeded nudity would have been very easy taken this movie into a highly rated comedy that could have easily been given a PG 17 rating rather than R. About the R, when did full frontal (and lots of it) nudity move into being an R rating. While there were no scenes where you saw people actually having sex, it should have been rated higher than an R in some way.

One of the dirtiest Rated R Movies I've Ever Seen

Author: Josh Broudy from United States
24 February 2012

Look, this movie is just not for everybody. I personally liked, but I know a lot of people aren't going to like lots of male genitalia in front of their faces.

George and Linda area New York couple who are extremely poor, as George gets laid off. On the way down to live his brother, the couple stay in a commune named Elysium for the night.

Theere were many positives for this movie. The cast was fantastic, as Justin Theroux was great in his role as the lead hippie. Of course, having a good script helps too. We new it would be a good one from the same guys who wrote Role Models.

Paul Rudd played his usual character. Middle aged, laid back white guy. They gave him some REALLY dirty lines to say. Jennifer Aniston was suited for this Rated R comedy much better than Horrible Bosses. I thought Malin Akerman could have had a bigger part. Alan Alda had a somewhat big part, which I was surprised.

The negatives were that it simply didn't need to be as dirty as it was. Their was some grotesque male nudity that just didn't need to be there, but at the same time, you know what you are signing up for.

Ultimately, this is going to do horribly at the box office. But I'm pretty sure this movie was meant to be some sort of cult classic. It doesn't quite get to that status, but it was an above average comedy.

wtf

Author: jimmybeachbum from United States
2 March 2012

I've read the reviews from others and I must have been watching another movie because the one I saw was absolutely awful... there were 6 people in the movie when it started and none after about 3/4ths of it... I was the last one to walk out.. I didn't laugh once... pretty corny actually..I'm not sure what the purpose of Jennifer Anniston doing this movie was.. I think that once she sits down and watches it she will see that there really is nothing funny about this movie... even the premise is flawed.. who lives in a commune nowadays.. do the producers really expect us to believe that two city slickers from New York would pack everything up and drive down to Atlanta after losing a job?? and who in their right mind would go to a place like this anyway??This movie will go down as one of the worst of the year and the ones that reviewed it favorably and thought it was funny,well I'm not sure about them

Not a Whole Lot Worth Noting

Author: bdgill12 from United States
25 February 2012

Whether good or bad, love or hate, movies should always elicit a reaction; the stronger the better in my book. When I come out of a theater, I want to have an opinion of the film I just saw and I want to be bubbling over with comments to process and compile into a review. As such, one of the worst traits a film can have is a lack of noteworthy content. If I cannot muster up a few hundred words on a given film, then I can't exactly give a hearty recommendation. Such is the case with Wanderlust.

Life isn't going well for George (Paul Rudd) and Linda (Jennifer Aniston). Just days after paying too much for a small New York apartment, George's company goes under and Linda's new business idea is wrecked. Jobless and penniless, the couple heads to Atlanta where George has a job waiting for him, courtesy of his obnoxious older brother (Ken Marino). On the way down, however, they stop in at a remote bed and breakfast which turns out to be a commune. Led by a charismatic free spirit named Seth (Justin Theroux), this group of hippies have embraced a simpler way of life that comes complete with all the amenities and ideals you might expect of such a community. Intrigued by the happiness the group exudes, George and Linda decide to move into the commune for a two-week trial run. Shenanigans ensue.

Most of what I liked about Wanderlust boiled down to my affection for the leads, Rudd and Aniston. Rudd is one of the most likable, perpetually enjoyable comedic actors in the field today and he always manages to come across as a bright spot even in a bad movie. I think Rudd's charm comes as a result of his ability to bridge the gap between nerd and cool guy; he doesn't exactly belong in either camp and yet can walk in both. As always, Rudd gives an endearing and appealing performance here and exudes a natural, everyman charisma. I'm pretty sure several of the funnier scenes within Wanderlust are the product of Rudd's improvised banter and as such, this film owes a great deal to its star. Aniston, too, is a favorite of mine (despite some of truly terrible films) who has proved to possess a comedic touch when given something to work with. Her chemistry with Rudd is solid and while her role isn't as well developed as Rudd's, she does her job well and the pair makes for a solid combination.

The other elements of Wanderlust, however, are lackluster. The narrative contains a few promising story lines but they aren't fleshed out with much pizazz. There are plenty of laughs but most of them come from easy, "low hanging fruit"-type jokes that get old as the film progresses. And most of the supporting characters are as one-note as they come; each brings a few laughs here and there when they're in their respective elements but then run out of gas and become tiresome. Theroux, Malin Ackerman, Kathryn Hahn, and several others have their moments but none of them ever really get moving or show any signs of development. This lack of depth and development results in the feeling that Wanderlust is not so much a film as it is a bundle of individual scenes, vignettes if you will, tied together by George and Linda in loose, unsatisfying fashion.

There's nothing inherently or irrevocably wrong with Wanderlust but outside of a few laughs and the appeal of the leads, there's nothing truly right about it, either. It simply is and that lack of significance makes for an overly ho-hum experience.

Please see my reviews at thesoapboxoffice.blogspot.com

Author: Jake Coffey from United States
27 February 2012

So, I saw Wanderlust the day it opened. The trailers, as everyone knows, just looks stupid. But, the movie, being Judd Apatow and all, is not that stupid.

George and Linda move to Atlanta for a better opportunity, until they stumble upon a love commune. Note: Love communes are not nudists communes. Though, there is a nudist.

This movie has a good cast. I thought Justin Theroux was really good as a hippy-ish guy, trying to make Jennifer Aniston love him.

And lets face it, this will be the closest we will ever get to see Jennifer Aniston boobs, okay? So, stop complaining, it will NEVER happen.

Best comedy ever? Hell no. It is not a spectacular movie, but to me, it is just a refreshing movie that you can watch and laugh at after a hard day's work.

Dry humor at its best

Author: estimatedprophet-301-118446 from GA
24 February 2012

I love the humor in this movie, it is very dry with subtle irony mixed in. It is a much better film than many critics have given it credit for. If you enjoyed Wet Hot American Summer, then you are sure to enjoy this one as well. Often, this type of humor can be missed if you take the movie too seriously.

Rudd and Aniston work well together with plenty of other talent in the cast you'll likely recognize. But it is all the secondary characters that really keep this movie interesting. David Wain does an excellent job managing these characters as the movie plot can bring about dramatically different sets and character types.

Awkward blend of sitcom and film

Author: Hollywoodshack from United States
30 July 2012

For those of you who've held out for the DVD like I did and wanted to see what everyone was talking about in the movie, you might be let down. Talking about it is the problem. George gives a long monologue of different ways to have sex with the girl in the commune, and talks her away from him. There were bursts of slapstick toward the end, but it all felt like a TV sitcom for Jennifer Aniston to star in after Friends. I guess they could call the spin off Phoebe's Story in honor of the hip character who liked to play songs on her guitar. I found George's rival for Linda's love, played by Justin Theroux, to be the most vulgar one dimensional villain I've seen in a long time. The other commune members all have the depth of character which looks like they've changed into costume after missing a day eating hamburgers at McDonald's. It was funny like pictures I'd take on a camera you throw away after one use. Nothing stood out worth seeing over again. But the shallow prudish narcissism was uncomfortable and worth repeating about how awful that was: blur blocked topless scenes, etc.

Eh, another Judd Apatow Rom-Com!!!!!!

Author: jaxbubba from THE FARIS REEL on Facebook
12 June 2012

Another "cute" little rom-com for the Judd Apatow Production studios. However, this little film does not possess any of the punch of its predecessors. In this go around, Paul Ruud (George) and Jennifer Anniston (Linda) star was New York Yuppies that have recently lost everything that they own. Forced to depart NYC for financial reasons, George must coward down and accept employment with is older brother (played wonderfully by Ken Marino). En route from NYC to Atlanta, George and Linda stumble upon a hippie run Bed and Breakfast called Elysium, which many would consider a "commune"; however, these inhabitants call an "intentional community". After a fight with his brother, George and Linda flee the confines of modern civilization, and elect to spend a two (2) week trial as commune inhabitants.

The movie is very "cute", it's your typical rom-com layout. Boy has girl, boy loses girl, boy needs to get girl back. However, this film is neither overly funny, nor diabolical in plot. You basically know everything that's going to happen in this film within the first fifteen (15) of the film.

I love the casting, and I will note that the chemistry between Ruud and Anniston up on screen really did work!!!! I really enjoyed the commune leader, Seth (Justin Theroux's character) for ¾ of the film; however, I no way believe that HIS CHARACTER, would ever do what the script called for him to do in this film. And its this last ¼ of the film, that is the most disturbing to watch.

All in all, the film is everything that you have come to expect in your typical rom-com movie. Save your money, and wait for the DVD; and I would recommend watching this film in the comfort of your home. The perfect Saturday Night Chick Flick Movie Date film!!!! PLEASE SEE MORE OF MY REVIEWS ON FB @ "THE FARIS REEL"

you wanna know why you should see this movie OK read this

Author: armanut86 from Ukraine
7 June 2012

I'm going to say this again i watch two movies per day in a year (dvd or cinema)OK so listen carefully if you wanna know this movie worth watching I'm going you tell you"give it a shot but don't expect very much" there is very funny thing or special that I'm keeping seeing in it $ in this year movies naked man and woman oh my gosh seriously,,well you better go and see this one because there are lots of nudity in it which is weird beside all of this its jennifer aniston people and she is always cute ,,well finally i think this movie worth watching but just once i gave you some reason you can go and discover the others thank you for reading these i hope its been useful.

a pointless movie

Author: WatchedAllMovies from United States
30 June 2012

I watched the first 10 minutes or so, which seemed like a promising opening for a movie. Then when I see the naked man and the overturned car, I suddenly lost interest.

For the rest of the movie, I watched it at 10 to 60x speed, stopping only when something looked interesting, which turned out to be very few stops.

The movie seems pointless. They must be banking on Jennifer Aniston to make a pointless movie interesting, but it doesn't work for me. She is no longer attractive to look at, especially in a silly movie like this.

If I need to see a bunch of pointless jokes, I watch a late night comedy show. When I watch a movie, I expect an interesting story.

Frequently hilarious fish-out-of water, high-concept comedy; Rudd & Aniston shine

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
12 March 2012

WANDERLUST (2012) *** Paul Rudd, Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux, Malin Akerman, Alan Alda, Ken Marino, Joe Lo Truglio, Kathryn Hahn, Kerry Kenney, Lauren Ambrose, Michaela Watkins, Jordan Peele, Linda Lavin, Jessica St. Clair, Todd Barry. Frequently hilarious fish-out-of water, high-concept comedy: dissatisfied NYC Yuppie couple Rudd and Aniston find themselves out-of-luck in The Big Apple and wind up in a hippie-dippy commune in this highly engaging comedy of errors with a fantastic comedic ensemble including Theroux as the group's defacto touchie-feelie ringleader and Marino as Rudd's a-hole bro. Rudd continues to do the side-of-the-mouth sarcasm with elan and Aniston has her juiciest role on screen since "The Good Girl". (DIR: David Wain)

Grief Or Madness

Author: cultfilmfreaksdotcom from Orange County, CA
25 February 2012

How many things can weird, overly-openly-honest hippies do to make an average, city-bred couple feel uncomfortable? Well, about as many things as make the audience uncomfortable – and that's not such a terrible thing if Judd Apatow's producing. This has his signature over-the-top bodily function humor written, drawn and painted all over it. Story centers on Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston who, after both losing their jobs and driving to Rudd's obnoxious money-loving brother's house, happen upon a bed and breakfast harboring the oddest lot of hippies you'll ever experience.

Going far beyond the clichés of pot smoking and artsy-fartsy naval-gazing, these people watch you go to the bathroom, exchange partners, and give birth right on the porch. The residents are too silly to be real, especially Justin Theroux as the picture-perfect bearded leader: a cross between Charles Manson and a game show host.

But this is really about Rudd's constantly shocked reactions to the craziness occurring around him. With an old-school vulnerable nice guy humor the likes of Richard Benjamin, Albert Brooks, and Alan Alda (the latter playing the commune's dazed owner), Rudd has enough charm to rise above a somewhat (if not deliberately) banal script. And while Aniston is, once again, playing herself, she and Rudd make a good couple who happen upon a gratuitous Twilight Zone episode that, while not being very funny, sure isn't boring.

For More Reviews: www.cultfilmfreaks.com

This was hilarious

Author: Steven from Columbus, Ohio
25 February 2012

Wanderlust is a hilarious film with some interesting characters and a funny story. The film stars Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston as George and Linda, a happily married couple who just bought a new studio apartment in New York. After George loses his job and Linda gets passed on by HBO, they reluctantly move to Atlanta to live with George's brother.

On the way there, they stop at what they think is a bed and breakfast place, only to find out that they have stumbled upon a hippie community. After being annoyed about how his brother is treating, George suggests that they go back to the community, where they decide that is where they should be.

The story is a fun one and is well worth the time. Director David Wain, whose previous film was the Paul Rudd/Seann William Scott vehicle Role Models, does a great job of keeping a consistent pace and letting the actors make creative and funny characters.

Out of the supporting the cast, the standout is Justin Theroux as Seth. Alan Alda is a riot as one of the co-founders of the commune. Joe Lo Truglio gets some laughs as a nudist wine maker/novelist. Malin Akerman, Kerri Kenney-Silver, Lauren Ambrose, and Kathryn Hahn all do fine in their roles, but none of them stand out.

Intentional Community gives me hope for a sustainable future

Author: Mandy Creighton from Rutledge, MO, United States
29 February 2012

Wanderlust seemed to depict the consumer culture as a place I want to flee from as well - job I hate, SUV's, cheating husbands, rude children, racist bosses, poor work conditions and plastic neighborhoods with huge houses and no trees. I remember, now, why I gave up my car and house for a tent and bicycle and headed out in search of a more sustainable way of life! The sense of connection, freedom and fun that the two main characters experienced at the commune often felt like a dream life come true. From the nude grape stomping to the huge fruit and vegetable stand to the sense of vulnerability and transparency (though sometimes too much...no doors on the bathrooms? that's a little much!), Elysium Bed and Breakfast seemed like a place I would surely want to visit and would likewise find a lot of inner transformation.

Though the stereotypes got a little old after awhile, as did some of the forced humorous moments, I left the theater feeling refreshed knowing that each of us can do what we love and create the life we have dreamed of. What is your dream? To watch my dream, visit www.withinreachmovie.com, a documentary film about my partner and I on a 6,500 mile bicycle journey to visit and document 100 sustainable communities around the US!

Although Paul Rudd carries this film with laughs, it falls a bit short of the best comedies.

Author: WeWatchedAMovie Mike from United States
24 February 2012

Wanderlust is a funny movie. Not a bad waste of your time, but it's just not going to make the list of other great Paul Rudd comedies like Anchorman and 40 year old virgin because the rest of the cast just didn't crack you up in the same way. One scene in fact with Rudd will have you scream laughing and bent over in hilarious pain. But aside from Rudd, the other characters were okay. Just okay. Wanderlust unravels a bit at the end and just wraps up in too tight of a bow to be believable anymore. Lots of male nudity, whatever than means to you! If your going to the movies to see a comedy then this is your pick. Otherwise, wait for DVD as this will make you laugh, just enough to satisfy but not enough to remember.

Utter Rubbish

Author: Justine Goodwin from Newcastle England
13 June 2012

The beginning started really funny with some genuinely laugh out loud moments... But within 20 minutes the entire movie turned upside down with crass moments and extremely unfunny one liners. I was really disappointed as I love both Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd as comedic actors but both failed miserably in this film. There is a lot of unwarranted nudity.. (men's bits dangling in your face). Followed by uncomfortable pointless scenes. Don't waste two hours of your life on this film as you WILL be so annoyed with yourself for not listening to my advise .

2/10 max! Go and rent a different DVD

quite bad at best

Author: jsorenson777 from Japan
7 June 2012

If you are addicted to movies, this could be a cure.

An unfunny comedy with a deep and accidental message that we are devolving.

Writing, acting, directing, editing -- mediocre at best. The characters are all superficial, unimportant and unbelievable. Some of the scenes were unsettling rather than comedic and some were actually painful to watch.

It was a long 90 minutes -- time wasted that will not be returned.

This thing will disappear quickly, if we are lucky. If not there will be sequels.

Good people living with hippies with no intelligent thoughts or humour

Author: napierslogs from Ontario, Canada
4 March 2012

George (Paul Rudd) and Linda (Jennifer Aniston) are practical and realistic people in love. They can't afford to live in New York City anymore so they are off to Atlanta. On the way they run into some hippies, their first instinct is to run away. Unfortunately, George's brother-in-law is an inappropriate asshole so they are back to the hippie commune, even though first instincts are always right.

The first of many problems is the title. Wanderlust means an innate desire to live on the road, to be always travelling, never staying, and for no real reason. Hence, lusting for wandering – wanderlust. George and Linda leave New York City out of necessity and travel (basically straight) to the hippie commune. They are not wanderers. The hippies live in a home that they own. They never leave and they never want to. They are not wanderers. The producers just wanted a catchy title and money. I do not like that.

I do like Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston. A lot. I did laugh at Rudd's occasional moments of physical comedy, but that was it. The rest of the movie was lame sex jokes. Remember this was produced by Judd Apatow but it was not written or directed by him. It was missing a touch of sophistication and consistency to the characters and a level of human understanding and empathy. This was movie was brought to you by some guys who watched a Judd Apatow movie and then while smoking pot liked the idea of free love, man.

I don't like hippies, although I can tolerate the harmless kind. These hippies weren't real hippies, they were all just a conglomeration of all the various stereotypes. Which is too bad because I like Kathryn Hahn and she can play a hippie (see Our Idiot Brother). This hippie commune is populated with a leader who says it's not a commune but an "intentional community" because when we say commune it makes people think of hippies sitting around smoking pot and playing guitar. Don't worry Rudd just looks at him with his sarcastic smirk (as I said, he was the good part). The other good part, which proves how poorly this was made, was Alan Alda's character. He bought the place in 1971 with 9 other people all with the false hippie ideals of nature, sharing and free love. What we don't see enough of is how he is no longer a hippie. If they wanted to add an intelligent thought to the movie, or some good acting, they could have done it there.

I guess I'm going to have to settle for Rudd and Aniston's previous collaboration "The Object of My Affection" which even after countless of viewings is funnier than "Wanderlust".

City couple gets stuck in the sticks with the Bohemian hicks...the pits!

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
4 March 2012

Unemployed New York couple lose the mortgage on their 'microloft' and travel by car to Atlanta (to work in the Porta-Potty industry with the husband's obnoxious brother); on their way, a car accident leaves the marrieds stranded at a hippie commune in the woods where, initially, the free-living, free-loving lifestyle appeals to the emotionally-stressed and financially-strapped twosome. An alleged comedy, co-written, directed, and produced by David Wain--who apparently had help, though it doesn't show. Full of loathsome, offensive characters and jokes, edited in a sledgehammer fashion. Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston do have some appealing moments in the film's opening, but it's a long road downhill from there, what with an abundance of in-your-face toilet humor which may have been somewhat more successful had the rest of this disaster not been covered in flop sweat. * from ****

Save your money!

Author: mikeld369 from Atlanta
6 March 2012

there are SOME funny spots but the sheer # of F-bombs totally ruins this - I swear, there were fewer F-bombs in "Platoon"! and there's even one scene where the guy says F-U to a 10-yr old girl! COME ON! GROW UP ... and if there was ANY hype to presenting a 'pro-nudist' perspective - well, you can just about forget it (altho the 'nudist author comes close as he's a good guy presenting a good 'example') but the crashing car scene causing 6 or 7 nudists to "run for their lives in slow motion" was the ONLY "nudist scene" lasting more than 3.5 seconds! SAVE you money - this was way over-hyped because of the 'couple' protagonists!

Just awful!

Author: peace5491 from United States
27 February 2012

My husband and I do enjoy comedies. We loved The Hangover and recently 21 Jump Street, but this movie was pathetic. I really thought it was going to be good by the first 1/2 hour of laughs. Well boy did the movie go downhill fast. In the beginning of the movie, the scenes when they were contemplating purchasing a 'microloft' were cute. The dialog and the singing in the car was hysterical. Other than that, we were sorry that we bothered to attend the screening. And there was no reason for having Alan Alda in the movie at all. My husband and I kept looking at each other as so many people around us were laughing throughout the movie. I am so glad that I didn't pay for this and would love to have the hours back that we wasted on line and viewing it.

Is anyone here tired of Jennifer Anniston yet?

Author: flakfan from face of the earth
25 February 2012

Tired of Jennifer this and Jennifer that. Her crap stinks like everyone else's does. If Jennifer was to do a nude scene like Monica Bellucci, Heather Graham or Charlotte Rampling does, then it might be worth seeing. Not gonna happen.

And Alan Alda, I mean ALANNNNNNNNNNNNN AWLDA with a pronounced nasal banality lilt, is enough to ruin any film. Who said he is talented and funny? He is a schmuck. Boring, snobbish, condescending aloofness, talks through his Yankee nose and just all around disgusting to hear and see on the screen.

Paul Rudd, he's funny. Too bad he's in this movie with Jennifer and Alannnnnnnnnnnn AWLDA.

An abundance of crude ruses overpowers the eccentricities of the characters.

Author: GoneWithTheTwins from www.GoneWithTheTwins.com
23 February 2012

These days, a Judd Apatow production merely signifies a series of vulgar jokes paired with copious amounts of nudity (more male than female). Wanderlust could have been more. Sadly, the film veers off onto an unpredictable and foolish path that finds its characters' motives and settlements clashing with the marginally likable setup. The fish-out-of-water premise is a solid one and Wanderlust is not without laughs; but an abundance of crude ruses overpowers the eccentricities of the characters while hit-or-miss humor fills pointless sequences that fail to move the plot forward. The energy of Wanderlust's promising beginning fizzles quickly and the production ends up mimicking its confused and restless protagonists for the majority of the runtime.

Just as New York couple George (Paul Rudd) and Linda (Jennifer Aniston) finally commit to purchasing an apartment, sudden unemployment forces them to give up their new dream and head to Atlanta to stay with George's brother. Stopping at a wayside bed and breakfast, the couple discovers Elysium, a free-spirited commune where peace, love and happiness abound – as does a host of bizarre nudists and hippies, led by the brusque but eloquent Seth (Justin Theroux). Seduced by their carefree lifestyle, Linda elects to stay, but George isn't as easily dazzled and soon becomes vexed by the group's unorthodox and outlandish customs.

There's a lot missing from Wanderlust. It feels like 30 minutes or more have been noticeably expunged from key areas that would have established characters and running jokes (made more apparent from the theatrical trailer, which shows several scenes that never make it into the final cut). The conclusion isn't based on anything previously hinted at, the antagonist is appropriated without warning just to provide villainy, and abrupt decisions are made by unprovoked characters, resulting in a gaping lack of realism. The initial proposition is a one-note gag that sets up potential but is never given a chance to blossom. Every time locations or characters are introduced, many are ignored, forgotten, or left devoid of humorous implications. Even the most obvious involvement, such as George's brother manning a Porta-Potty company, never gets an opportunity to present the simplest, go-to gross-out skit that inevitably rears its head when dealing with carriageable sanitation units.

Thick, palpable sarcasm permeates all of Paul Rudd's lines while Aniston is utilized primarily for physical comedy. The opening scene is well done, with creative editing, weird expressions and montage, but after about fifteen minutes or so, the humor begins to dwindle rapidly. With expected stereotypes and generic sidekicks that include an obnoxious brother, a foul-mouthed kid, a crazy old man, a longhaired mantra-spewing hippie guru, and a young blonde female with evanescent inhibitions, nothing particularly unique is submitted. Nonsense takes over when verbal comedy ceases, and uncomfortable or disgustingly awkward situations shoulder those moments when absurdity stops working. It's troublesome when end credit bloopers are funnier than anything in the film. Based on early screenings and gossip, the only thing Wanderlust is likely to be remembered for is Jennifer Aniston's nude scene, which was filmed but then removed from the theatrical version.

- The Massie Twins (GoneWithTheTwins.com)

Like the prosthetic penis, it's funny at first but in hindsight you'll realize it was always limp.

Author: TheSquiss
17 June 2012

Wanderlust is a yo-yo film.

I like the idea of yo-yoing. The first drop and return is thrilling but thereafter, unless in the hands of an expert, it peters out. The drops become deeper and slower, the returns never quite making it until finally, either it gives up or you do. And so it is with Wanderlust.

Directed by David Wain, it teams Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd as a couple for the third time after a stint in Friends and The Object of My Affection. I hope this is their last film together as, on the evidence to hand, with each teaming their relationships and the quality of their work together diminish. I'd like to say it isn't their fault but they both read the script and took the pay cheque so, yes, they have to take some blame. Maybe they were struggling to pay the rent.

At greater fault, and possibly beyond forgiveness, are the producers who green-lit Wanderlust and David Wain who also co-wrote it. It's a fun idea for a light rom-com (professional couple George and Linda leave New York with nothing to show for their life's work but a car filled with boxes, a job offer with George's obnoxious brother is too much to bear so they join a hippy-ish commune on a trial basis) and has enough potential for a light, easy, pleasant waste of an evening. Unfortunately the potential is barely realized and it serves to pass only twenty minutes or so before hope of more laughter fades.

Yes, there are a few laugh-out-loud moments and some genuinely funny one-liners but far too many of the gags take so long to set up and reach the punchline that you've started counting the ceiling tiles before the film remembers to entertain again. Too many jokes are repeated, and not just once or twice, that they become tedious. It worked for Reggie Perrin, it doesn't for Wanderlust. Several jokes worked superbly in the trailer because they were tightly edited but in the full feature they bomb. Some of the alleged humour is so cringe worthy I actually hid behind my hand and had to stifle audible groans of embarrassment.

I wanted to like it. Rudd is generally a good comedic foil and Aniston has produced some fun variations of Rachel and a couple in complete contrast, not least in the superior Horrible Bosses last year. But the occasional laugh, some attractive nudity (and some not so pleasurable) and a few star names cannot compensate for the wafer-thin plot, the stereotypes, the 'damn, we've got five minutes to finish this film' attitude to the end and stodgy, lazy scripting.

Like the prosthetic penis on frequent display, you'll notice it and laugh at first but in hindsight you'll realize it was always limp.

Never Lives Up To It's Full Potential

Author: DoctorRabbit from United States
26 June 2012

Wanderlust has a few good moments, but it is just not that good or funny of a movie. Most of the movies problems seem to be from the product of a weak script. The film has a few very funny moments, but a lot of other moments come off as not very funny or are dragged out way too long and just become awkward or annoying. The movie also suffers from another problem that i've noticed in comedies lately which is awkward cuts right after a joke hits a punchline, which is an issue that is present a lot in the first half of the film. By the end of the film, I couldn't help but think why did this movie even need to be made because it doesn't seem like anyone behind it had any interest or passion in really making it. Overall, Wanderlust isn't terrible, but you could never see it your whole life and you wouldn't miss out on anything. If you really feel like you need to see it then rent it. Otherwise, i'd just save your time and skip it.

Aniston Ruins a Good Idea

Author: Richard Reilly (FFman@comcast.net) from Colorado
28 February 2012

When you walk into a movie by David Wain—the writer/director of Children's Hospital and Role Models—you need to prepare yourself. His humor is directed at a young audience. It also helps to be stoned. I am the right age for a movie like this, but I failed to realize I was supposed to be stoned. As a result, the drawn-out humor of this movie— although funny at first—usually went dry far too quickly.

Wanderlust is not what I expected it to be. The trailer is pretty much the first fifteen minutes of the movie. The actual plot of Wanderlust revolves around a commune that pulls in two city-folk—Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd. Paul Rudd has already proved himself to be a great actor is Wain's over-the-top movie with Role Models. Aniston has not. Her lacking acting ability has thrown many a movie into the crap pile. Unfortunately, Wanderlust is her next victim.

There are plenty of good aspects to Wanderlust. I found myself laughing several times. The problem was that the joke would continue on for several more minutes—long past its expiration. I can't help but recall a scene where Paul Rudd stands in front of a mirror talking to himself for almost five minutes. It just kept going…and going…and going.

Alan Alda was the redemptive role that brought this movie to life. As the original founder of the commune back in the 1960's, Alda plays the role of a senile man who lost a good majority of his sanity to acid. His role allows for the rest of the over-the-top script to plant its feet in reality. Where most of this movie is bland humor, Alda's character allows for a storyline to develop.

If you are stoned, this is the movie for you. If you aren't, but enjoy the humor of Adult Swim, this movie will be somewhat enjoyable (still not better than any episode of Futurama). If you aren't stoned and don't know what Adult Swim is, this is not the movie for you. 2012 has been an extremely lacking year for comedy. Hopefully we can see that change next week with Project X.

reillyreviews.wordpress.com

Go see another movie

Author: lagudafuad from Nigeria
7 June 2012

Wanderlust tries and tries to make you laugh, but with the level of profanity and the weird nudity sessions, all I felt was disgusted and I left with a bad after taste.

Wanderlust is a certified box office bomb just making 21 out of the 35 million spent on production. Filming took place mostly in Georgia, the director David Wain who is also the writer kept fans update on the production progress on his blog, but failed to tell them that they will be wasting their time if they go see the movie.

I'm not a fan of listening to critics thoroughly, although I enjoy reading their comments but I have to admit with them this movie is crap.

The movie did boast of many jokes thrown here and there, problem is none quite hit home for me, having a movie showcasing nudist and hippies and free thinking may be a good thing on paper but mix that with Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd pairing up is a bad idea, even on paper. The on-screen chemistry was not there, they looked more like cousins than a couple (arguable siblings).

The plot show cases a couple who stay together George (Paul Rudd) and Linda (Jennifer Aniston), George loses his job and Aniston who is unemployed find themselves with only one option; move in with George's egotistic brother in Atlanta.

On their way there, they had an accident and stumbled upon Elysium, a community filled with characters who don't believe in Money, Careers or Clothes. The couple found a home in this community and decides to give it a twirl.

The actors in this movie must have failed a course in acting class or either missed the class called, "How to act", all the cast except from the two leads were either over-acting or either not interested in what was going on. The directing and the get together looks like someone must have been high on cheap drugs to put it all together, as David both wrote and directed it he must have thought (while high) that using swear words and nudity will be better than using proper lines.

This is not Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston's first time of working together, they both co-starred together in 18 episodes of the sitcom "Friends" where Paul played Phoebe's love interest turned husband. Aniston has done some pretty good movies over the years before this movie was the hit "HorribleBosses" but this like "Just Go With It" (which also starred Adam Sandler) is not it at all.

Save you money save your time, go see another movie.

This movie is why i created an IMDb account

Author: thomas green from Zimbabwe
6 March 2012

HILARIOUS! holy... crap. I can barely even hold in the laughter whenever I think of this movie, which I saw twice. Funniest movie I've seen since Dumb and Dumber! haha, it's relentless. Can't wait to buy this one! wanna have a couple hour vacation? watch wanderlust. it's freakin ridiculously funny. hehehe anybody who's seen it will laugh at this: "cut two...." this movie saved 2012, and it's worth me vouching for 2012 movies in the future, as long as this is the only one in contention. I'm not kidding, go see it. oh yeah, too much male nudity, but it's not like... all the time. just a little really. some people were laughing at it though, so i can't really hate. The movie is about as deep as this review is, and as meandering.

hehe..... "suck on it."

Tacky Is As Tacky Does

Author: patsworld from United States
1 March 2012

Wanderlust….is this a test to see how gross and raunchy a movie can be before people just say enough already? Because if it is, I'm saying enough already. I adore Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston is always fun to watch. But this movie could have been so much better, so much funnier without all the gratuitous sleaze. Rudd standing in front of a mirror spouting five minutes of pure trashy, tacky talk almost made that sweet, lovable guy disgusting. If this is the best sort of film that can be made …and boy, there's been a lot of them lately…perhaps people need to be avoiding going to the theater altogether until things change. If pictures like Hugo, Descendants, Midnight in Paris, to name only a few, can be made, why is it necessary for money, time and talent to be wasted on stuff like this? There have been so many good movies made….50/50, Sherlock Holmes, The Green Lantern…I could go on for pages…but there have been so many ugly, trashy films made in the meantime. too. And I could easily name them, but why bother? Doesn't anyone look at those tacky things, or stop and really listen to them while they're being filmed, and wonder why? Who's money is being spent on them? And again, why? Perhaps if a whole lot of money was being thrown at me, I'd allow myself to sink to the level of some actors and actresses of late and be in one of these lower class pictures…but then again, maybe not. Maybe I'd think, do I want my family, the world, to remember me in something like this, and I'd be smart enough to turn down the big bucks. Some of these stars should have done that very thing. Like I said, this could have been a really cool movie…it had some funny moments…but for the most part, I'd say this was gross.

Michaela Watkins is a hysterical! You will enjoy this Film! =Funny!

Author: ccbernese
24 February 2012

This is so *funny!*! I fully enjoyed it, and continued to laugh all the way home! So many 1-liners, and scenes that crack you up! It's a great date, or rejuvenate the relationship flick! For those that say the nudity is crude- are just programmed to believe full frontal nudity, particularly men ought not exist, unless 20-something and buff! and 36D Women are just 'fine' ... it's LOL! There is no raunchy or even 'sexy' sex scenes, certainly less sexually-explicit images than any prime-time TV show in your own living room. Of course there is a lot of conversation about the topic, but again, there is far more explicit information on TV... Michaela Watkins is a RIOT! I really would love to see more of the interactions between her and Jennifer Aniston's character. Paul Rudd is consistently good! However, Michaela Watkins just made us laugh a lot!; She has got to be the most talented, yet under-rated, actress out there these days! I give [+2] = a "10" because of Michaela! (otherwise an 8.) ***enjoy!!!***

I've Just Seen This On DVD

Author: kwalker159 from United Kingdom
26 June 2012

I did not see this at the cinema and so I bought the DVD today. The extras are not up to the usual standard of a David Wain DVD, a bit scarce compared to Role Models or Wet Hot American Summer. The 5 out of 10 I give to the talented Paul Rudd. I think I laughed once or twice and it couldn't of been that funny because I can't remember the joke and I only watched it a couple of hours ago. It is criminal that Paul Rudd is doing stuff like this he deserves a whole lot better. The dirty talk bits were cringe-worthy,the rest of the cast were wasted, there was too much over acting and stupid dialogue. I think Paul Rudd is doing another movie with David Wain in the coming months,I hope it's a vast improvement on Wanderlust.

One big "meh"

Author: reneemsm from United States
20 June 2012

I definitely did laugh a few times during this. But what's really sad is that the most my husband and I laughed was at the outtakes in the credits (and of course, the bathroom mirror scene). I found myself so IRRITATED at all of the characters through the whole movie. There were times that I just wanted reach through the screen and smack someone. And there are a few scenes that are just so awkward that they make you want to shut it off. I mean, there's awkward-funny and then there's awkward-annoying. This was awkward-annoying. I really like Paul Rudd and sometimes Jennifer Aniston. And I like about 75% of Judd Appatows movies (generally the ones where he doesn't cast his wife who can't act worth a sh*t). I wanted to like this and I really do feel like the idea was good and it could have gone a different way and been a really good film. But unfortunately the script just doesn't work. Save yourself the money and time. Rent something else.

I'm gonna get it all up in you.

Author: Padraig Walsh (DiSTuRBeDx) from Rep. of Ireland
15 June 2012

The film is mediocre at best. It does try a little too hard and jokes come out flat. Granted, there are a few very funny bits in it. I enjoyed it to a point, I probably wouldn't watch it again and upon viewing, the novelty of it all wears off.

The one saving grace this film had was Paul Rudd. Anything he's in I personally think he's brilliant in and I can include this film into a long list.

Overall, there are a few funny parts but there are too many unfunny parts which drag it all down and quite frankly, could've been a lot better. Especially with such an interesting plot.