IMDb > Mental (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mental

Mental More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Mental the best Aussie movie I have seen in a long time

Author: caroline-488-870439 from Australia
28 September 2012

I took my 16 year old daughter to see this movie and I was a bit unsure if it would be as good as I was expecting after reading other reviews. The comedy alone in this movie is very Australian and we both thoroughly enjoyed the movie from start to finish. This is a very offbeat and quirky comedy however there was a much deeper message to uncover as the movie went on and this added to the higher rating I have given the movie. The way Shaz goes about turning around a family who had no self respect and was looked down upon by neighbours and family was what the movie was really about. Rebecca Gibney and Toni Collette were outstanding and I will be buying the DVD when it comes out to add to my collection of Aussie movies. Plenty of laughs and overall highly entertaining.

Loved it

Author: chicken84 from Australia
5 October 2012

I have to say in response to another reviewers comments that the fact that they say "muddled plot and complicatedness of the character interactions' causes disappointment only further identifies the lack of knowledge for society around people living with mental health illnesses.

I think that if it is viewed to be muddled and complicated P J Hogan has fully succeeded in communicating the complexity of living with mental illness and the perception society have when interacting with people living with these illnesses.

I thought it was raw and confronting, cushioned by humor. I loved it.

Hilarious and clever - if you're beige you will hate it

Author: Alison from Australia
4 October 2012

Clever, quirky, hilariously funny and with enough pathos and melancholy to really get you thinking. If you are one of the beige folk, you will hate it. If you march to the beat of your own drum and always find yourself on the side of the underdog you will love it. Mental illness is definitely not off limits and with typical Australian irreverence the subject is tackled head on. Draws some conclusions about "normality" that some people will not be comfortable with. You will recognise a few big names, but the supporting actors were all equally talented. A genuinely amazing film. Actually funnier than Muriel's wedding. Destined to become a classic, with excellent performances from all.

Far superior than the nay sayers may let you believe!

Author: Diggler31 from Australia
4 October 2012

Went to see this Aussie film from P.J. Hogan today. I have to say I am actually quite flabbergasted that this film has received so many negative reviews? The film follows the exploits of a group of girls, who live with their dysfunctional and mentally disturbed Mother (Gibney), and their non-existent politician father (LaPaglia).

After their mother suffers a breakdown and is sent on "holidays", their father decides to hire Shaz (Toni Collette), to look after the kids while he pursues his political career. She in turn teaches them that life is not all so bad.

People have said this film is essentially a rip-off of P.J. Hogan's breakthrough film Muriel's Wedding. I have not seen Muriel's Wedding in a number of years, and really cannot comment on the comparisons, only my opinion of this film.... And I personally loved it! The film had memorable characters, quirky situations, hilarious scenes, and some truly fantastic acting from all the cast. The stand out for me would have to have been Rebecca Gibney as the crazy mother. Plus Liev Schreiber, totally unrecognizable as a warped Steve Irwin style shark hunter.

While some people may find the humour too crude, or the story too similar to Muriel's Wedding. Everyone else that likes a good Aussie comedy should lap this up! Also if you're from Murwillumbah, and/or surrounding areas, you'll be treated to some familiar sights! :)

Mental is sweet, hilarious, and powerful

Author: justthething84 from Australia
5 October 2012

If you liked Muriel's Wedding then you're probably gonna like Mental. This movie is made by the same people who made the most memorable Aussie movie tag line, "you're terrible Muriel", and is an emotional roller coaster from start to the beautiful end. I have to mention the soundtrack. It's just excellent and so suitable. You'll get what I mean when you watch the movie. The actresses and actors play their roles magnificently, the message from the movie is sweet, while also being powerful at the same time.

If you're mentally ill, know someone who's mentally ill, then this movie is especially for you. But don't worry, if you haven't got any experience regarding mental illness - you will still love this movie.

10/10 I enjoyed it from start to finish and I will go again.

great movie!!!

Author: Seeing Sounds from Ireland
16 November 2012

Good quality humor, excellent actor performance, Toni Collette at her best and I can not imagine another actor acting better then her in this movie. Best movie of 2012 in this genre so far. Don't want to spoil it for anybody, the movie captures in a funny sarcastic manner the madness in which the present society is bathing. For thous who don't know Toni Collette, until this movie, I really recommend United States of Tara, the TV series. This actress really knows how to act as a mental person and know how to enter the character. Definitely I will buy the DVD for the collection and recommend it to everybody, especially to those with similar issues shown in the movie. Thank you P.J. Hogan for this movie!

Non stop surprises and laughter

Author: eva_deli
4 October 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect as I hadn't read any reviews and only saw a quick snapshot of the previews, but I did know it was from the Director of Muriel's Wedding so I knew I was in good hands.

I thought this film was great! It was quick, witty, with laugh after laugh. The cinema I was in wasn't even completely full yet the laughter just kept rolling and rolling throughout the film. Some scenes were completely outrageous and I think this was hard to pull off, if anyone else attempted to do it, it probably would not have worked.

The casting was brilliant, the chemistry between the characters felt real, and the underlying issues and themes are very real so in amongst the comic genius, I shed a tear or two.

There was definitely some similarities to Muriel's wedding, especially at the beginning of the film as the story was being set, but it wasn't too much and once I knew about the Director's personal life and experiences it made more sense.

I don't buy many DVD's but this will be one of them. The film is so Australian and I want to keep it on my shelf so I can pull it out for a great laugh or to be reminded that we are all a little mental.

I gave this film 10/10 because of its ability to make me laugh so hard and make me feel deeply for the characters at the same time. And, because it was bold, outrageous, very Australian and had the ability to blow me away!

Serious fun

Author: kcd1961 from Wollongong
14 October 2012

I love psychodramas, so the chance to see Toni Collette in a film touching on mental illness was too good to miss. I was stunned to hear that the underlying story of this movie is true! Some reviewers have labeled the plot as complicated and bumpy - and it is - sort of like real life. However the plot is less important than the characters and the underlying themes. The cast is superb, particularly Collette, Gibney and newcomer Lily Sullivan as the eldest daughter. The characters are rich and complex, except for the father (played well by LaPaglia) who is a bit too one dimensional. I preferred the way The United States of Tara handled the issue of being partner to someone with severe mental illness.

However it is the underlying issue of the way mental illness, normality and conformity are experienced and perceived in our society that shines. JP Hogan does not preach or present a one-sided view - rather we see normality as complex and nuanced. Collette plays the deeply flawed yet strangely inspirational Shaz who serves to provoke, challenge and sometimes overturn the other characters' views of normal. Modern psychiatry is neither approved nor mocked. The "normal" characters are revealed as sometimes shallow and fragile - not as normal as they seem.

The comedy ranges from subtle, to ocker, to cartoonish and melodramatic. Not everyone will like it. Some scenes are just plain absurdist.

I suspect that like Muriel, this is a multi-layered film that will actually stand up to repeated viewing. As for the tag line - well it's going to be hard not to laugh whenever my friends talk of "going to Wollongong" - and I can say that because it's where I live.

epic movie laughed like mad

Author: (octahexx) from Sweden
27 May 2013

You shouldn't read this you should just watch it! Sometimes you stumble over a fresh movie thats pure genius this is one of them.

The movie centers about a suburban broken home and it starts out a bit kinda meh but keep accelerating from there on to pure mental enjoyment.

It take lemons and makes lemonade mace you can spray in the face of your everyday depression.

It reminds me somehow of Hedwig and the angry inch in stylistic way of touching the mundane boring bizarre dark parts of life in a way that jolts you in a good way.

It probably has the best ending of a movie I've seen since the text scrolling dialog in a knights tale.

The story is not the important part hence i don't focus on it,its the ride itself with the characters.

I rarely get to write positive review on IMDb so I'm glad i watched this movie and you should to :)

Do you hear any voices? I'm hearing mine, can't stop laughing...

Author: michaela b from France
8 February 2013

I will not write about a plot, that's done already, I'll write about what got me.

It's amazing the idea of P.J.Hogan to show us, that everybody is kind of "mental" and it starts straight in the title of the movie, when the letter E is falling apart. Then The name Moochmore is preparing us for a ride with "the sound of music", with the sound of mental disorders. Let's introduce some of the characters.

Shirley, mum of 5 daughters, is compensating the missing love of her husband with an ipad by singing, which is making her ridiculous in front of the other people and her relatives; by the way she is doing it in her back yard, so there should be little bit of a privacy in there, but the "watching neighbours" are everywhere. She is bullied by her sister - real psycho anyway, by the coffee shop manager and she tells for everything sorry. She explodes in shopping addiction and that's the last straw which is making her loving husband coming home and her going for a "holidays".

The father, Barry Moochemore, is mooching his wife for his upcoming elections, cheating on her and he hates his home, because he doesn't have a home with 5 boys but 5 daughters instead not knowing which one is which one. There is a quote after quote, for example: "Boys have breakdowns, dad." "Not Australian's boys. They are busy to play football." After naming some of the mental disorders by his girls he submit "No one is going mental. Not before I do!"

The history of Shirley and Barry tries to repeat with one of the daughters - Coral when her love affair starts with saying NO to Trout (I don't know if the names are chosen by accident or it's satiric as well - trout and coral working in an aqua park). We learned before that Shirley's love affair and marriage started with a rape.

Chaz, amazing Toni Collette, is a fatalist trying to fix up everybody's life with her Bible "Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders" showing them the real side of their personality. She explains to the girls, that it is normal to be mental in Australia because in the past there were sent only mad people and criminals to Australia to live and they are their's descendants. There is a lovely scene, when she is going to visit one of the "watching neighbours" and when they talk nasty about Moochmores they make this piggy sound while laughing so she starts to make it as well and they think that's totally normal, they even don't notice it.

I could go for ever and ever in the study of these characters, but watch it by yourself, because it is not first planning Hollywood type of comedy and that speaks for it self. Let's finish it with the words of Trevor:

"Everything is Sharks. Life is sharks. Mental is a shark."

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]