IMDb > Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Loved it!

Author: jamieleehardy from Colorado
27 March 2011

My 8 & 9 year old kids wanted to see this movie. They've read the entire series. After seeing the low rating on IMDb, I was expecting this to be another disappointing kids movie. I have no idea why the rating is so low, this movie was hilarious. I'm a 34 year old mom and will say that this movie made me laugh harder than I have in a very long time. Don't let the low rating keep you from seeing this one! This movie will make you laugh. This movie will make your kids laugh. It's a great movie for the whole family. I thought it was better than the first wimpy kid movie and so did my kids. I am not going to spoil it for you. See it for yourself, you won't be disappointed.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2: Rodrick Rules

Author: jDriftyx82 from United States
19 April 2011

The first Diary of a Wimpy Kid was charming, witty, and kind of funny. This movie is the same, but has more to offer. We see Rodrick a lot more, and he's a very interesting character.

The whole movie kind of studies the relationship between Greg and Rodrick. Rodrick teaches Greg how to be lazy, get other people to do stuff for him. You know, teen stuff.

The movie is funnier than the first one, the characters are movie more dimensional then the first. The parents aren't as annoying. It's good.

I mean, I had a feeling I was gonna like this one better, mostly because I liked the second book better than the first one. I don't know why, not that much difference.

If you liked the first one, you will most likely love this one. I mean, even people that hated the first one said this one was better.

Liked it better than the first!

Author: from United States
30 March 2011

My kids, ages 7 and 4, loved the first Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie, and couldn't wait to see this one. I really liked it too, so I was actually looking forward to this new one. I was not disappointed, and neither were my kids! It had us all laughing! As much as we liked the first one, we liked this one even more! I'm even already looking forward to seeing it again! I'm not sure why people are so hard on this movie, as it is a kids' movie...I'm not sure what they are looking for. I wasn't expecting anything huge from it, just to be entertained, which I was, and both of my kids loved it! If you are expecting an Oscar performance with a deep story line, this isn't a movie for you. However, if you want to take your kids to a funny movie that as an adult you can enjoy as well, I highly recommend this movie!

The easy to follow movie easily scores 4 out of 5 among the movies in the same league. Go to the cinemas for some laughter-packed fun!

Author: moviexclusive from Singapore
23 March 2011

Most adults do not have a high expectation for family movies like this, isn't it? After all, they are not those movies that contend for this award or that recognition. Then again, isn't it fun to have some great family fun once in a while at a movie like this?

The "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series is quite a big hit here in Singapore. Following the release of the first movie in this series last year, it received some criticisms on the pace and the low sense of humour but still managed to pull off a profitable $500,000 at the local ticket box office. This is indicative of its positive reception, probably owing to the vast number of readers of the illustrated novel series of the same name. As a result, Singaporeans are privileged to have "Diary of a Wimpy Kid Rodrick Rules" released a week ahead of its official theatrical release in view of March school holidays.

Typically, the young readers can relate to the obligatory activities and school life of Greg and friends. There must be someone in school that somewhat resembles Fregley, the queer one that often disgusts everyone. And also the puny but talkative person that cannot wait to show off what he had accomplished with his wits, just like Chirag Gupta. What about the most beautiful girl in class that everyone just can't wait to get close to? Lastly, let's not forget the die-hard BFF who does everything with you and even go through a distasteful sleepover. Even the older ones in the cinema could somewhat recall classmates who are fitting into these characters. With the talented child actors, they make these characters come to life and really lovable. There is great chemistry which makes it a joy to watch the development of the story.

This time, the movie has a pretty tight storyline and gave the audiences some really great laugh! The content is largely humorous, whether it's the quirky behaviours of the kids, the older brother Rodrick or even the Heffley parents. Comparing it to other movies in the same league, this movie stands out with better humour. One of the potential pitfalls of a family movie is having jokes that are too hard for children understand. In this case, they manage to dodge away from the potential pitfall as the jokes are pretty relatable to the children. Even the adults cannot help but to laugh at the goofiness. Enjoy some simple and good humour! One of the important factors that helped to increase the entertainment value was the 2-D sketches. They were incorporated seamlessly into the storyline and are both intriguing and eye-catching.

As suggested by the title, this movie is more focused on the brothers' relationship, a further development from the first movie of the series. Rodrick was more than an annoyance; he showed the "older brother" side more this time. Be it manipulating his little brother to achieve his motives, or embarrassing his little brother for his own pleasure, or even to passing on his little brother the "good" stuffs… aren't these again, pretty relatable to everyone? Exactly, we're back to it again: relevancy of the movie is indeed the biggest selling point of the movie.

As the movie winds up, it continues to stir our interest and leads us to a less sighted side of the brothers which is dear and heart-warming to watch. Upon watching, you'll probably nod to yourself and say 'indeed, blood is thicker than water'. Despite the older brother not wanting to befriend his little brother initially, at the end of the day he is still always there for him and vice versa. With more diaries to come, this series will definitely gain greater popularity among the young readers.

- www.moviexclusive.com

Same song - second verse

Author: jkcanewton from United States
26 March 2011

Same song - second verse... Of course that doesn't mean it is bad. Some songs have a better second verse. I liked this movie. I find it hard not to like the family in this movie. I'm a school teacher and this book series is extremely popular with 8-12 year olds. I watched the first movie and found it to be better than I would have expected. This movie didn't give me the same feeling. Maybe the surprise was over or maybe it wasn't as good a storyline, but I like the first movie better. I noticed my kids didn't laugh as much during this movie and they both said they liked the first one better, but they were glad they saw Rodick Rules, of course they are both fans of the book series. If you have kids that are into this series then you need to take them to see the movie. I'm sure they will thank you for it.

A Nutshell Review: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
21 March 2011

About a year ago I was tickled pink with Diary of a Wimpy Kid, a film adapted from the first book of a successful series by Jeff Kinney. I suppose it did decent business worldwide to warrant a follow up film, adapting from the second book in the series called Rodrick Rules, where the premise is focused more on within the Heffley family, in particular between Greg (Zachary Gordon), now in seventh grade, and his older brother Rodrick (Devon Bostick), while yet still holding onto its quirky comedy and shenanigans set in school.

David Bowers, who did Flushed Away and Astro Boy, takes over from Thor Freudenthal to direct this installment of the wimpy kid, though still retaining some signature elements such as the animation design which come directly from the books. We're reintroduced to the Heffley family, and it's pretty amazing how the sheer amount of incidents and subplots start to take their own life, providing slices of life moments from puppy love to sibling rivalry. There's Greg's infatuation with new student Holly Hills (Peyton List) with whom he tries too hard to get acquainted with, his friendship with best friend Rowley (Rober Capron) taking a hit because he refuses to be Rowley's sidekick for a magic show in the town's talent contest, and the continuing bullying of Rodrick on Greg, one which culminated in the latter running around in his underwear at an old folks home.

Those are but three of the many comical situations found in this installment, coupled with a house party that cannot be mentioned, but of course there's no smoke without fire, and what worked here is that most times things get set up for the fall only much later, coming in as sucker punches complete with rip tickling delivery. There's no wasted scene in the film, and everything sprawls out and collapses back nicely, in part I guess having a source material laying out a roadmap for the narrative to follow, with nice little easter egg touches that connects this film to its predecessor, such as the remnants of the Cheese Touch.

Don't expect very sophisticated direction here, as it may look and feel like an extended sitcom episode. But in all honesty the little tales that make up this film are nothing to scoff at, made all the more fun by the myriad of side characters / caricatures. There are still three more books to go, and I'm unsure if they will be turned into movies, though if they do, it better be fast before the child actors all grow up. Definitely recommended, and for its targeted demographics, I'm sure this will speak volumes to them, especially on its message of blood being thicker than water, and how siblings, no matter the rivalry, will always be subject to a quick patch up.

Better than the book.

Author: mevviltd
25 March 2011

This is one of these cases when the movie is better than the book. In my opinion, the book language is slightly shallow, but translated into a movie, the episodes that make the story look very lively and full of humor.

The decision to concentrate on the relationship between the brothers was original and smart, because it added an element of conflict that the book lacked and spiced it up a bit.

Unlike the book, the movie is worth watching for adults as well. It's not too sophisticated, but it doesn't have to be - it's light, humorous and fun.

Surprisingly funny

Author: m-d-bolik from Dundee, United Kingdom
11 June 2011

I didn't see the first movie and only knew of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid because my 7 year old daughter was reading the books. I was a bit apprehensive about the film and thought the best thing that would happen was that I might fall asleep during it.

I was relieved at the beginning to see it was live action rather than animation (yes - I had THAT little knowledge of what I was going to see!) Though there was a bad point at the very beginning where the car draws up with cartoon people inside. For a moment I feared it might be a cartoon/live action combo - but this was a temporary feature that was meant to bind the live characters to the cartoon ones in the book.

The first scenes in the roller skate arena made me wonder if it would just be about kids being horrible to each other. However, as the story developed I was quite captivated - the performances were all good, the story-line well paced, and various parts of the film made me laugh - and I rarely laugh at movies. I am wondering why the mother is pure Sarah Palin - this I will have to Google later. The film was an unexpected treat. It made a rainy day in Scotland a lot better.

I thought the first one was better, but my kids liked this one much more then the first. I say B, my kids say A+

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
21 June 2011

"You'll always be my brother, but you'll never be my friend." After the fighting between the two brothers gets out of control Greg (Gordon) and Rodrick (Bostick) are forced to spend the weekend together, just the two of them. After becoming friends again one incident rips them apart and the family worries it may never be fixed. After reading the first book and watching the first movie, both of which I liked, I had higher expectations for this one. My son loves these books and movies so it's a lot of fun to watch him laugh at the movie, almost more fun then the actual movie is. Being that this is a kids movie I will make this one short. Overall I thought the first one was better, but my kids liked this one a lot more. I give it a B, my kids give it an A+ Would I watch again? - I saw it in theaters, then watched it again on DVD. My kids have seen it like 5 times already.

*Also try - Diary Of A Wimpy Kid & The Spiderwick Chronicles

do watch it

Author: DeepakNumber1 from India
29 May 2011

Before you read further, I wanna ask few things –

• Do you have a elder brother? If yes, move on, else go to the end. • Did you have fights with him all throughout your childhood?

Seriously, this movie reminded me of every moment of my childhood days - how my bro used to tease me… & how I used to fight back in revenge… How he didn't allow me in his group of friends Our parent always wanted that we both try to get pleasant with each-other … But seriously it was fun the way it was … playing prank on each-other, passing wrong information to him - so that gets screwed, keeping secrets on costs.. And yes, we sometimes used to be friendly.

Seriously, even if watch it as a plain comedy movie – Trust me – it's worth it..

I may have over-rated this one, but I had no reasons to underrate it

Cheers!