IMDb > Dead Season (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dead Season

Dead Season More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Watch it for yourself....if for no other reason

Author: twomainiacs from United States
22 July 2012

Hmmm....I wondered about how I felt about this one. I don't believe the horror was found in the Zombies. Rather, the horror and believability was in the situation of the survivors. Sure....the ducking, weaving and bludgeoning of said Zombies were all in a day's work. But, the scary part was being in the shoes of the survivor's. One could easily picture the disparity of those that are on the run. But one could also feel the controversy of their plight as well. The pseudo-heroes are not where they want to be yet forced into a community with some pretty strange ideas of survival. The ending provides plenty to think about. The question I always ask myself when doing a review is, will I ever watch this again. Maybe....after I have seen about another 500 horror movies with zombies. Yet YOU might say, "I gotta see that one again"....bravo. Scary to some....thought provoking to others...YOU choose. ......Q(:-}

What if zombies were real?

Author: stevek4511-576-94878 from United States
11 October 2012

Now here's a scary movie that stages an intriguing premise: Instead of shuffling, shambling, mindless brain-eating freaks, "Dead Season" holds its audience with a much more plausible fright: the all too real victims of a raging epidemic. Instead of special effects, the filmmakers have poured their imagination and energy into crafting a story that engages and challenges with just enough twists and turns to keep things from getting predictable. The day-to-day issues of how to eat, how to stay away from infection, and how to hold on to your sanity and your humanity are covered intelligently and convincingly. Yes, "Dead Season" does have some genuine scares. But it also has a heart, a mind, and--with the exception of the infected--a soul.

Bang-up zombie horror winner

20 August 2012

Rugged medic Elvis (an excellent and convincing performance by Scott Peat) and feisty Tweeter (an equally fine and credible portrayal by gorgeous redhead Marissa Merrill) are two uninfected human survivors of a worldwide zombie outbreak who decide to flee to a remote island in order to start new lives for themselves. However, said island turns out to be already populated by a strict military group who force the pair to prove their worth in order to remain alive. Director Adam Deyoe, who also co-wrote the tough script with Josh Klausner and Loren Semmens, relates the gripping story at a brisk pace, ably creates and sustains a dark, gritty, and serious take-no-prisoners tone, builds a substantial amount of nerve-rattling tension, delivers a handy helping of in-your-face graphic gore, and stages the exciting action and zombie attack set pieces with real rip-roaring skill and flair. Moreover, Deyoe provides a touching human element as well as a harsh and provocative Darwinian survival-of-the-fittest central theme that give this film an extra potent dramatic punch. The sound acting from the capable cast rates as another major asset: Peat and Merrill do praiseworthy work in the leads, James C. Burns excels as ruthless hard-nosed administrator Kurt Conrad, and Corsica Wilson does well as Conrad's surly teenage daughter Rachel. Jeffrey Peters' sharp cinematography and the moody score by Louis Chalif and Scott Friedman further enhance the overall solid quality of this strong and impressive little number.

Average

Author: gavin6942 from United States
2 August 2012

This is a film about a couple of people (Elvis and Tweeter) who meet up during the devastation of a zombie outbreak. They come across a guy who has some supplies and keys for a boat. They leave the Florida mainland and head towards an island. When they get there they are taken by a group of survivors to a gated complex with others living there. They soon fit in and find that there is more going on here than they thought. It soon becomes a fight for survival, and not just against the zombies.

Surprisingly, Dan Hicks is in this film. You probably will not see him, but it is interesting to me that a noted horror veteran showed up for this endeavor. His appearance may be the best thing about the movie.

Aside from some sound issues, the film is pretty good. Not a life-changing experience, but a zombie film with more going on than just zombies. There is a back story (though it remains rather murky) and a "shocking" twist (that does not really make much sense). It is a thinker... sort of.

Really - don't bother!

Author: darrenwoodall from Chippenham, England
3 April 2013

I rarely feel compelled to write reviews about movies as most are neither particularly good or particularly bad. However, on this occasion I cannot help but feel I need to warn the rest of you potential victims that this movie is a complete waste of space.

Directorship - OMG! Acting - Oh dear! Storyline - Hmmm!?!?! Effects/Action/Gore - Don't get me started! Camera work - Poor at best.

How anyone could have likened this to The Walking Dead series (of which I am an avid fan) needs a smack!

Honestly, go do some knitting with your grandma, you'll feel ultimately more satisfied.

Enough said.

Better than the current 4.2 Rating

Author: Daniel Platt
15 July 2012

This was genuinely not that bad, the script wasn't too bad and the acting wasn't terrible either. It portrayed life in a land of zombies far better than many other zombie flicks have done, where tough decisions have to be made for the sake of survival. Picture the TV series LOST but with zombies instead of others and you might find some common ground with this film. I would genuinely give it a solid 6/10. My only major gripe was that these zombies kept "washing up" but had no bloating or anything to suggest that they have been in the water for days/weeks.

Would Recommend.

Thoughtful and Unique Spin on the Zombie Film

Author: sofaqueen from United States
31 May 2014

I loved this film. There was a depth of character, back story for each, a well thought-out plot, good mythology, and a genuine sense of urgency throughout. It keeps you guessing, and is anything but a "formulaic" zombie film. Probably for financial reasons, they did not go crazy on make up, or walker special effects. It was not distracting, like some low budget films can be (white pancake makeup with tan necks showing through), but it was not elaborate either. It seems they spent more money on gruesome but necessary close ups, and kill scenes, making it disturbingly realistic, and gritty. The walkers are largely symbolic, and the constant threat is conveyed by the scenery. The bunkers, the stark military look, that sense of paranoia that extends to the living as well as the walking dead. A great use of tension, with the scenery functioning as a character in its own right. Foreboding, and the sense of constant danger is conveyed nicely. This film is exhausting to watch, in the best possible way. They used their resources wisely. Good actors, good script, great little film for the horror fan. I gave it eight genuine stars, and hope to see its profile rising as more people see and enjoy this shocking, intriguing, anything but boring, and welcome addition to the genre.

Same old same old, but not to bad.

Author: Prolox from Canada
15 January 2013

After a zombie plague has wiped out pretty much all of humanity, a girl named Tweeter & a doctor named Elvis, team up & get a boat to an island inhabited by a small band of survivors trying to survive from the zombie plague, but things fall apart mighty quickly. DEAD SEASON is basically no different then the other 294796354749 zombie movies that have been released in the past few years, but at least the film-makers tried & it is slightly better than the vast majority of the zombie films churned out for a quick buck. Unfortunately like many zombie epics released today, the film's plot really has nowhere to go, there's no overly serious threat with the zombies & no real action to speak of, sans the zombie attack sequences, which are at the very least competently shot. The films acting is pretty passive & the direction is not bad, plus the gore effects are pretty decent for what is obviously a low budget production. The zombie make-up is also okay for what it is. Unfortunately DEAD SEASON hasn't much to offer in the ways of creativity, as it pretty much follows the path taken by practically every film-maker who has helmed a zombie epic since George A. Romero first woke the dead, with the truly excellent & ground breaking NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD back in 1968. In fact, one has to wonder if there isn't some kind of zombie horror movie check list that every film-maker wanting to helm a zombie epic is given: The only way to kill a zombie is by a shot to the brain? Check. A world overrun by hordes of zombies & the remaining survivors banning together, with other survivors, some of which aren't exactly "good guys" Check. Said survivors hiding out & eating whatever canned food they can stumble upon? Check. Zombie bites will turn it's victim into a zombie? Check. Well you get the picture. All in all, DEAD SEASON is strictly for die hard zombie fans who just can't get enough of the genre, but on a whole, for those who are looking for something at least a little different, with a different take on the usual zombie fed storytelling, their most likely be disappointed by the films lack of creativity. A watchable film if you can't find anything else on the video shelf, otherwise I say pass on it.

**1/2 stars

Not the worst.

Author: bjjnedan from United States
30 July 2012

Dead Season is about a couple, of 20 something people, guy's probably closer to early to mid-thirties and the chick, who's decent looking and a badass, is late teens, early 20's, 23 max, escape their city to an island fortress. A makeshift military fortress, where food is scarce and it's not all that secure, but it's still a fortress, I guess. Push comes to shove, the 2 new arrivals bring about the complete destruction of the place. Blah, blah, blah....

Dead Season is well..., I don't know, it's pretty much a run of the mill zombie flick. Well..., except for the island fortress thingy, which actually reminded me of a couple issues of, "The Walking Dead," comic, I think issues 31, 32, or 30 something anyway, barely minus the rape in the comic and the fact they're on an island where there is nothing to eat. The acting was almost bearable in very few scenes, while being bad for most. The zombies themselves are rather shameful. I mean, the make up is passable. The effects are..., passable. But..., I don't know, it was something about their overall demeanor and the way they moved. I didn't know that you could make a character who is literally braindead seem stupid. But they manage it in this C-movie. There's actually a whole helluva lot more that I should really point at as bad, but like I said, it's a C-movie (not really sure if that's an actual class of movies, I just know this isn't good enough to be considered a B-movie), so, rather than point out all the bad in this movie, I'm just going to say don't have any kind of above par expectations for this, and it's okay. I was going to rate this a 1, but..., I don't know, the heroine just seems cool to me, and the surviving daughter is pretty hot.

Mediocre rip-off of Romero's Day of the Dead

Author: Logan-22 from United States
19 June 2012

Dead Season is a mediocre rip-off of George A. Romero's Day of the Dead (1985, not to be confused with awful Sean S. Cunninhgam remake in name only from a few years back). We've got the tropical island (check), stupid, horny military dudes (check), mad doctor experiments (brief, but check), fenced-in compound (check), and zombie gore (check). What we don't have is a good movie. Oh, and the other film it rips off is Romero's terrible Survival of the Dead (by setting people up to go to an island of presumed safety).

The acting is okay, as are the zombie makeup and gore effects, and the music and cinematography are pretty good (a little too much shaky-cam here and there, however).

The weak link is the script, which is not only slow and predictable, but frequently makes no sense. The most egregious example being that the cast spend the whole movie fighting slow zombies and then, for no reason at all, all the new zombies that get made out of the survivors at the end are super-fast 28 Days Later-style killing machines (complete with bloody eyes). This would have been okay if it were explained, but it isn't. It's just sloppy writing.

There is pretty much zero character development. Unlike Romero's Day of the Dead, where even the lamest of the military goons had at least a scene or two spent developing their personalities and maybe giving them a memorable line or two, the goons here are completely forgettable, interchangeable zeros. So who cares when they die? And the two leads aren't very interesting. The redhead is annoying, and the paramedic dude is too nice. They don't grow or change or do anything cool, at least not enough to make me root for them. The screenwriters need to read a copy of Blake Snyder's Save The Cat! and/or Jeffrey Schechter's My Story Can Beat Up Your Story! to learn how to write a good screenplay.

Dead Season takes itself seriously (a bit too much so, as there are not enough lighter moments to give you a break from the overall grimness). It's not a bad movie, just not a very good one. It's better than any of the nonsense the SyFy Channel produces, but that's not saying much. Zombie fans will no doubt be able to sit through this film and be moderately entertained if they have nothing better to watch.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]