IMDb > Dead Season (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Run-of-the-mill entertaining zombie outing

Author: GL84 from Los Angeles, Ca
17 December 2012

After escaping civilization rampant with a zombie virus, a couple find themselves on an island sanctuary with a barbaric overlord ineffective in keeping the zombie epidemic off the island, forcing them to find a way out before they get overrun by the beings.

This was a fairly enjoyable and entertaining zombie film that thankfully had a lot going for it before it gets bogged down by several flaws. One of the biggest flaws is the rather ham-fisted nature of the community on the island, not really serving much use as the rules are explained as need-to-know yet nothing ever gets mentioned due to the zombie attacks as well as the brevity in detailing how it functions since it gets overrun quite easily and not just because it's required to for the story to work. also, there's a huge flaw in the film's unneeded scene of command where they harvest a fallen comrade for meat but it's turned into an agonizing moral dilemma for the main guy for no reason and is then dropped altogether from the film as a whole, leaving it feeling rather curious for it's inclusion. Otherwise, there's a lot to like here as there's plenty of great gore, a host of great effects for the zombies, some impressive swarming scenes with the creatures around them and plenty of action to beef things up as well as a pretty innovative tactic for getting both slow, shuffling zombies and running zombies into the film,and aided by a great pace and beautiful locations, it's a strong effort.

Rated R: Graphic Language, Graphic Violence, Brief Nudity and an attempted Rape.

Better Than You'd Expect

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
16 December 2012

Dead Season (2012)

** 1/2 (out of 4)

Better than average film starts off after a zombie apocalypse takes out most people. Survivors Elvis (Scott Peat) and Tweeter (Marissa Merrill) meet by chance and soon the two jump in a boat and head off to an island. Once there they find more survivors being led by a man (James C. Burns) who is up to something darker than zombies. DEAD SEASON suffers somewhat from its obvious low-budget but for the most part this was an entertaining film that managed to have some brains for it, which isn't the norm for this type of picture. Unlike most movies that turn up on DVD, this one here isn't about cheap gore and dumb action. Instead we're given a pretty interesting story that actually had me caring about the characters, their issues and the situation that they're in. I thought the entire story was pretty good and I enjoyed seeing what a group of survivors might be doing to try and continue their lives while everything around them is pretty much dead. A lot of credit must go to the performances, which I found to be very good. I especially liked Merrill who was great in her role and I hope to see more of her in the future. I also enjoyed Corsica Wilson who plays a daughter locked up in the village. The gore effects are pretty graphic for this type of picture as there are several damaging bites and heads being shot off. I think a higher budget would have allowed for some of the plot to be developed more but there's still no question that this film gets quite a bit done and the majority of it done very well. Fans of the genre should be entertained by this one.

It's A Nice Try

Author: darqueimages from United States
19 August 2012

I don't want to be too harsh here, but it's so hard to hold back. First, I have to remember that: 1. There was a set budget for this film. 2. Indie directors. So here goes... As far as films go within the zombie genre, this was not the worst. It wasn't the best either. We're somewhere in the middle here. The acting, while not superb, wasn't all that bad. Story? Not so bad either. There were, as with most zombie films, some weak spots in the storyline and plot...but, I didn't sit down to watch this film expecting anything better. As with the majority of films we see in this genre, we get a demonstration of the best sides of humanity and the worst sides.

Typical catastrophic viral film with a typical ending in my opinion. There was an opportunity to this film to be so much more if not for the small budget it had. Is it worth seeing? Yes. Fans of the genre will definitely appreciate some of the points made in the film. I rate it a 7 out of 10 and I'm being generous since this was, after all, a low budget indie film.

A Zombie Movie that doesn't suck

Author: smcameron-582-530008 from United States
15 January 2013

For most of what counts as a zombie movie these days this gets a 6. As a movie I would give it about a 3. But I like zombie flicks! Usually most that I find on Netflix, Syfy or other streaming sites turn out to be pretty much garbage that I can't get much more than 10 minutes into. However Dead Season held my interest and offered a decent story, not completely horrible acting, and a plot that at least moved. It's a pretty scripted mix of most of the popular zombie takes you have seen. A little dawn of the dead, pretend the island at the end wasn't swarmed with zombies and the sequel had a lower budget! Then call them "Walkers", hmm. If you need a fresh fix this is not the worst place to look.

Pretty good portrayal of a survival attempt

Author: fureetutawk from United States
21 October 2012

It's good if you aren't wanting a hero Could have been worse, or better. Personally, it would have been better with a female lead who was actually heroic rather than careless. It was as if she refused to believe that it is the deadliest situation the world has ever faced, getting other people killed with her thoughtlessness, from disregarding safety procedures to running, screaming, through gates not warning the guard who unlocks them that his friend running behind her is now a zombie. While she pretends to care about other people and hating the group leader for making cold, mean decisions, she lets someone take blame for her actions, and doesn't mourn the results of what she did. she repeatedly fails to care about other people herself. I suppose it's an interesting comparison about human nature, but with these kinds of movies I prefer a little more winning and less fail.

What if zombies were real?

Author: stevek4511-576-94878 from United States
11 October 2012

Now here's a scary movie that stages an intriguing premise: Instead of shuffling, shambling, mindless brain-eating freaks, "Dead Season" holds its audience with a much more plausible fright: the all too real victims of a raging epidemic. Instead of special effects, the filmmakers have poured their imagination and energy into crafting a story that engages and challenges with just enough twists and turns to keep things from getting predictable. The day-to-day issues of how to eat, how to stay away from infection, and how to hold on to your sanity and your humanity are covered intelligently and convincingly. Yes, "Dead Season" does have some genuine scares. But it also has a heart, a mind, and--with the exception of the infected--a soul.

Bang-up zombie horror winner

20 August 2012

Rugged medic Elvis (an excellent and convincing performance by Scott Peat) and feisty Tweeter (an equally fine and credible portrayal by gorgeous redhead Marissa Merrill) are two uninfected human survivors of a worldwide zombie outbreak who decide to flee to a remote island in order to start new lives for themselves. However, said island turns out to be already populated by a strict military group who force the pair to prove their worth in order to remain alive. Director Adam Deyoe, who also co-wrote the tough script with Josh Klausner and Loren Semmens, relates the gripping story at a brisk pace, ably creates and sustains a dark, gritty, and serious take-no-prisoners tone, builds a substantial amount of nerve-rattling tension, delivers a handy helping of in-your-face graphic gore, and stages the exciting action and zombie attack set pieces with real rip-roaring skill and flair. Moreover, Deyoe provides a touching human element as well as a harsh and provocative Darwinian survival-of-the-fittest central theme that give this film an extra potent dramatic punch. The sound acting from the capable cast rates as another major asset: Peat and Merrill do praiseworthy work in the leads, James C. Burns excels as ruthless hard-nosed administrator Kurt Conrad, and Corsica Wilson does well as Conrad's surly teenage daughter Rachel. Jeffrey Peters' sharp cinematography and the moody score by Louis Chalif and Scott Friedman further enhance the overall solid quality of this strong and impressive little number.

Better than the current 4.2 Rating

Author: Daniel Platt
15 July 2012

This was genuinely not that bad, the script wasn't too bad and the acting wasn't terrible either. It portrayed life in a land of zombies far better than many other zombie flicks have done, where tough decisions have to be made for the sake of survival. Picture the TV series LOST but with zombies instead of others and you might find some common ground with this film. I would genuinely give it a solid 6/10. My only major gripe was that these zombies kept "washing up" but had no bloating or anything to suggest that they have been in the water for days/weeks.

Would Recommend.

Good movie, but it just lacked that one special ingredient...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
18 August 2012

For a low budget zombie movie, then "Dead Season" wasn't actually bad. It combined elements from both the Romero type zombie movies and the "28 Days Later" type zombie movies, and it worked out well enough. Initially, the movie is a bit halting in the beginning, but once they get to the island, the movie picks up and actually becomes rather interesting.

The story is about a zombie outbreak, duh!, that has left most of the world dead and hungry for flesh. Three survivors meet up by chance and decide to set sail for an island, where they find that other survivors are holding up.

Sure, the story is fairly average and 'generic' in sorts in means of a zombie movie, but "Dead Season" doesn't focus on the zombie outbreak or bloodshed, it is a character driven movie, and it actually pulls that off nice enough.

I will say that I could have wished for more zombies to appear in the movie. Being a zombie aficionado there just wasn't enough zombies in the movie for my liking. The zombies that was present, though, well they looked alright, good enough make-up, a small amount of gore and mayhem (again, something I could have used more of), and they also combined the slow, stumbling zombies from the Romero type movies, as well as the fast, agile, running type zombies from the "28 Days Later" type movies (and those familiar with my reviews, will know that I am not keen on these running zombies).

What impressed me the most about "Dead Season" was the soundtrack. They had really put together some great music for this movie. Again, it was heavily influenced by the music that was in "28 Days Later", but still, it worked out quite nicely. The music score really added a lot to the overall of the movie.

As for the acting, well I wasn't familiar with anyone in this movie, so that was a plus. No associations to other characters or movies that way, which I enjoy. People were doing good enough jobs with their characters and their given roles, but just don't get your hopes up for academy award winning performances though.

One thing that the movie had working against it, was that the mood and feeling of this being a cataclysmic event never really shone through on the screen. It seemed that people were fairly relaxed and laid back despite most of the world's population was dead and had returned as zombies. If they had managed to put in that panic sensation and the sensations of overwhelming dread and doom, then the movie had worked better and on a whole other level.

"Dead Season" surprised me, because I hadn't expected much from it, to be honest. And as a zombie aficionado, then I can warmly recommend this movie to zombie fans everywhere. It is not one of the best low budget zombie movies I have seen, but it was far from being amongst the worse.

Watch it for yourself....if for no other reason

Author: twomainiacs from United States
22 July 2012

Hmmm....I wondered about how I felt about this one. I don't believe the horror was found in the Zombies. Rather, the horror and believability was in the situation of the survivors. Sure....the ducking, weaving and bludgeoning of said Zombies were all in a day's work. But, the scary part was being in the shoes of the survivor's. One could easily picture the disparity of those that are on the run. But one could also feel the controversy of their plight as well. The pseudo-heroes are not where they want to be yet forced into a community with some pretty strange ideas of survival. The ending provides plenty to think about. The question I always ask myself when doing a review is, will I ever watch this again. Maybe....after I have seen about another 500 horror movies with zombies. Yet YOU might say, "I gotta see that one again"....bravo. Scary to some....thought provoking to others...YOU choose. ......Q(:-}

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]