IMDb > Dead Season (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Middle of the Road Zombie Flick

Author: brian-2196 from United Kingdom
17 June 2012

I sat and watched this with my wife this morning. I am a Zombie fan she isn't, so with some of the rubbish in this genre we did not hold out much hope! The positive thing is that we watched it to the end, with quite a few other zombie flicks we have not managed to do this. It is not a great movie but not terrible. The acting is fine, again not great, the storyline is very predictable. A goes into slot A, B into slot B. We knew everything that would happen from start to finish with no surprises whatsoever and we did not get anything wrong, Oh and we are not Mensa students! The camera work and settings were excellent for the budget and they used the location to the full. So is it worth watching? If there is nothing else on fine, We voted it a 5 out of 10, in reality we would have gave it 4.5 for the reasonable work they done. The reason we could not vote it higher was it was so predictable...

Gives us more than the usual zombie film does.

Author: J. Davis (horrorsession@gmail.com) from USA
17 June 2012

In the last year I've seen around a dozen or so Zombie films & if was to compare this one to them it would probably land in 3rd place. In the beginning it was a little rough, it gave us a quick take on what the situation was for the lead character Elvis, all zombie films usually struggle in the beginning as to why & how he is almost the lone survivor so I can't fault it for that. As the film progressed it started to focus on the characters more than the zombie outbreak, it reminded me of the Walking Dead series on AMC. It was nice for a change to have some character development in a film like this. You will have to be a bit forgiving as to the cheap make-up & effects for the zombies as they were pretty underdone but the low budget didn't cripple it much at all. About an hour in is where this film started to pay off, giving us a dark turn of events that brings upon an urgency to act for the leads & the action starts to ramp up along with the zombie population. Some people might want to turn it off early but I promise you that if you hang in there it will deliver you a solid effort and a decent ending for all zombie genre fans alike. It wasn't a bad way to kill 90 minutes.

Way More than I Expected

Author: octoberdave from Atlanta, GA
23 June 2012

First of all, this movie has not yet been released. I looked it up and it comes out in July. It's currently June. Everyone who has reviewed it (myself included) probably acquired it via torrents. Whatever. I have no shame.

As for the movie, I absolutely loved it. Reading these other reviews, I really don't know what the heck people are expecting. It's a post-apocalyptic zombie movie, not The Godfather!

Are there zombies? Yes. Are there good kills? Yes. Is there action? Yes. The part I liked best overall, is it's not your average zombie horror gore-fest. What makes Dead Season a bit different is they actually go into more of the stories of characters, and the relationships that come up from having to live in this messed up society on the island. THAT was awesome.

The locations and shooting are beautiful, and the acting is really good. There's no big celebrities, but this isn't a huge studio movie. For that, I really like it. I kind of feel bad I got it for free!

All in all, if you want a solid independent zombie movie , this is one of the best I've seen in years.

A zombie movie with...wait for it...a brain!

Author: stevek4511 from United States
2 July 2012

A lot of thought went into the script, and from the looks of it, a lot of love went into the production and performances of this way better than average zombie chiller. Suffice it to say that the story packs some real surprises, previously unexplored within the genre. The locations look sufficiently post-apocalyptic, and the humans appear to be honestly at the end of their proverbial rope. And that's a smart idea. Too many movies like this have a bunch of well-fed, good-looking actor armed to the teeth with seemingly endless supplies of ammo and enthusiasm. Dead Season does not disappoint. On the contrary, it serves up good scares, a good story and some good gore make for an nail-biting thought-provoking good time.

Author: Michael 'Hallows Eve' Smillie from New Zealand
13 July 2012

This was a pleasant little surprise of a movie. It had some great blood and gore scenes along with a good story. It was a low budget film that actually delivers better than I thought it would. If 'Dawn Of The Dead' (remake) had a cheap no-frills little brother, this would be it. The story is a little similar but not the same (with the zombie outbreak and survivors trying to get to safety thing I mean). The acting wasn't that bad, actually it was pretty good (compared to some bigger budget films). The effects were good old-school style effects likened to the great 70's and 80's style slashers. It was entertaining and a good watch, so I give it a 7 out of 10.

Zombie flick helped by good look and feel

Author: soccerfanpete from United States
9 July 2012

Dead Season works primarily because it looks and feels better than it really is...which is what keeps one watching. Kudos to the production designer, location scout, make-up/effects team, gaffer and the cinematographer for keeping this viewer's interest up in this combo apocalypse and zombie tale. Wherever they shot this, the landscape, structures, and particularly the camera angles, shot composition and eerie lighting lent credence to the narrative. Some decent gore and gross-out effects helped out as well.

I give it an 8 because of the visual effect of the movie which clearly had to make up for a pretty limited budget...and which succeeds in that regard. As low-budget zombie flicks go, that's actually saying quite a lot.

fun ride

Author: hooch2 from United States
20 June 2012

I really enjoyed this film. I DID see this film in Tampa at a pre-screening and from that to this, holy ballz it is drastically improved. Great job from that aspect! It now has characters that I was pulling for. Elvis had the tie to his past and was trying to still put the puzzle together rather than give in to the madness that there was no fix to. He reminded me of Matthew Fox from LOST. Twitter was hot, and she was the chick you had no chance at banging, unless a zombie outbreak happens, so, here is hope for that! The characters did at times do things that I for one would not do. But, I'd think that after a year of the outbreak one may tend to go a bit stir crazy and not always make the best decisions. Zombies were pretty fun to watch and the actions was over the top and that made this ride all that much better. The documentary style shooting also helped put you in the action, sort of Bochco style if you can stomach it. Grab a beer and watch this fun stupid movie!

Hey I just met you and, this is crazy, but I'm a Zombie, your face looks tasty

Author: sadonixa
28 August 2012

I am giving this movie a 10 star rating because, as others have so rightly stated, it deserves FAR higher than the 4.3 it currently has.

My honest rating is an 8/10 stars based on the following...

I have seen more zombie related movies and television shows that I can even count, and a lot of them leave you wishing it had something extra... more apocalyptic feel, more gore, more character development, more SOMETHING.

This movie delivered on all of the things you would expect from a zombie movie without over indulging in one thing or another. It was a nice equal blend of bleak outlook for the characters, face smashing, character development and setting. The tone is dark, dismal, hopeless, and that is exactly what we expect.

The acting was good. It wasn't all star spectacular, but that actually worked well for this movie because the level of acting was akin to reality. They seemed to not be acting, and it almost felt like a documentary.

The setting reminded me of the recent video game 'Dead Island' without all the resort buildings and fancy bungalows. But it was tropical, it had zombies and it would be a very scary place to be.

There was something that happens with the zombies towards the end that was a fantastic turn of events. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but a zombie movie buff would appreciate what happens. I wasn't expecting it and it certainly got me saying 'oh s*** OH S***' a few times.

Overall DEFINITELY worth watching. Fantastic movie if you are not insisting on a huge budget movie that delivers less than quality in everything else.

We need more like this!

Not Bad

Author: natebouchard from Canada
31 July 2012

In case you're wondering why a rating that describes a movie as "not bad" would rate this 10 stars, the current rating is 4.3 and that's far from the case. Romero fanboys simply are impossible to please (and endlessly pretentious) while the gore-seekers were only thrown a couple of bones during the length of the film. Realistically, this is a zombie movie that takes place on a tropical island, often in the day time and thus is not filled with pop-out scares. It also focuses heavily on the characters who are smart enough to hole up in the safety of their compound as much as possible.

More than anything, I expect people disliked the fact that this movie makes too much sense. It's a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't conundrum. Either characters do stupid things and tense action ensues, or they hole up, plan wisely and people call it a boring movie. That said, I particularly liked one instance where the characters are drawn into acting reckless, but it leaves you feeling "Yeah, I'd do the same". Which left me a bit impressed.

Make no mistake, it's not perfect. The makeup is good and the camera isn't half bad either but the acting isn't amazing although it doesn't have to be. Things feel purposely flat and grim. This is certainly not a B-movie. It's too serious and lacks any camp moments. Some people may feel the setting works against this but I thought it worked quite well as a "spoiled paradise".

Overall, I watched it to the end, never groaned at a characters actions and enjoyed the moral dilemmas and zombie-face-smashing equally. More than I can say for a lot of this genre.

Overall competent production.

Author: G Reagan (savitch99@gmail.com) from United States
24 June 2012

I've probably seen most zombie related movies which include all of Romero's work, 28 days/weeks and the less serious 'Shaun of the Dead' and 'Fido'. 'Dead Season' fits right around the middle simply because it doesn't add much to what's already been done. It feels like an extension to one of the other movies where you follow the characters after they finally get away from the main population.

The acting is obviously a little uneven because only the four main actors have real experience which always seems to be an issue with indie films. The secondary actors are noticeably less experienced but not enough to be a problem, they are really just scenery for the most part. The rest of the production is so well done that it's shame the story is so generic.

If you're a fan of all things zombie and need a new one to watch then I would recommend it because it's well done overall even with the flaws.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]