IMDb > [Rec] 3: Genesis (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
[REC]³: Génesis

[Rec] 3: Genesis More at IMDbPro »[REC]³: Génesis (original title)

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

why???

Author: mereiriz from Puerto Rico
14 April 2012

What on Earth happened here? The first two movies were great! I don't understand how is it possible that they could be turned into something this awful. The idea of making it into more of a comedy didn't help at all. Characters looked stupid and storyline was ridiculous and boring. After about 30 minutes I kept looking at my watch, but I kept going because I wanted to see the ending. What a disappointment! I'm really mad with the final result. Let's hope the 4th installment won't be so crappy.

I did enjoy the acting, though, because Daniel Martin (the actor playing Koldo) is one of my favorites from Spain, and the woman playing the lead role did a good job too, but the characters were lacking so much insight that at the end, talent wasn't enough.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, unless you're a big fan of the first two and want to see everything related to it!

Not what I had expected.....

Author: andychia3132 from Chicago
27 May 2012

If you've seen Rec 1 and Rec 2, you will be put into a very odd scenario. You will either love this movie because you are a hardcore fan or you will hate it with as much passion as I did even when I watched it with an open mind and lowered expectations.

I give the director and writers credit for attempting to try something different and add new material that could be categorized as "idiotic" and "Desperate". It seems the original story that I had been very interested in had gone into a complete tangent. The drama, sensation of fear within the first two movies are lost as this cheesy flick is what "Shaun of the dead" could get away with. But when you mix comedy into a serious movie then it becomes a mess to clean up.

The movie is slow, there's more time wasted on introductions and scenery and then you have a few minutes of chaos... I tried my best to like I truly did, again I watched it with an open mind and low expectations. I am certain that this movie will bomb so bad that a final installment maybe canceled or perhaps they will go back to their roots after the angry mob of viewers complain enough to wake the director up.

Bottom line,

See this movie if its free, netflix if its there, but don't go spending money on this movie, I watched over 10 people leave the theatre, I should have been one of them sadly.

Why?!

Author: Guus Janssen from Netherlands
20 August 2012

I'm really disappointed with what they did to the REC franchise. I really loved the first installment of the series which was one of the most scary horror movies i've seen in quite some time. The second movie of the series was quite good as well. There was a pretty good story and i fell in love with the shaky camera. When i saw they were going to create a third (and even a fourth) movie i was thrilled. I just finished watching it and i can't recommend this to anyone. The storyline of the first two movies is completely gone. There is no progression at all and it just feels like a stand alone horror movie. It doesn't contain any scares and you aren't startled watching it, it looks more like an action horror comedy which is over exaggerated on so many levels. And then the shaky cam, one of the things the REC series was so famous for, is gone as well. The first 20 minutes does contain the shaky cam but after that it's just filmed as any regular movie. People who loved the original two films should stay away from this one. I guess you could just skip to the fourth movie since there is no story telling here. You will be disappointed!

Really?

Author: adispune from Pitesti, Romania
21 July 2012

When I saw the trailer at first I was somehow intrigued, when I saw the movie, I couldn't resist till the final. It was awful, nothing from what I saw on the first two. There's nothing related to REC and REC [2]. Comedy? You try to make one of the best horror movies a comedy? C'mon, you must be joking, at least you have nothing else to do in your life and you thought: "hey, why not screw up a good movie?" I don't recommend this movie at all, don't waste your time and your money, there's nothing scary in it, nothing to shake as you surely did at the first two (if you seen them), it's just a horror wedding. If you didn't see one till now - Have a watch, everything turns then into a Walking Dead, and The Walking Dead has some serious stuff in it.

All in all, this movie must be a joke, or the final installment will be the final joke.

Awful Movie

Author: ami_gdalo from Greece
30 July 2012

Rec2 was a quite good thriller, keeping you anxious, with clever plot. REC3, was a total disappointment. No plot, exaggerating to the limits, with silly details destroying the thriller to a pointless splatter. It lucks the REC-cam mode and turns to another, almost funny, meaningless movie. I cannot forget the hilarious moment where the bride takes the chainsaw to cut her wedding dress - in order to help her fight and run comfortably - and finally she cuts only the part of the dress that is enough to make her sexy. It becomes more funny when you cannot understand whether is it about a contagious virus, a religious thing, zombies of vampires. It'a a pity that trilogy went down so bad. Don't spend your time watching this crap.

A priest prays away the zombies

Author: John-841-139892 from Canada
21 July 2012

Seriously, all you need to know is that a priest prays away an oncoming horde of zombies. I can't even begin to comprehend how a movie like this gets made. They do away with the hand-held camera setup, which really is the core of the rec movies. I mean, it's called REC for crying out loud. The characters are flat, the setup is bizarre ( a wedding? Why?) and a bunch of the main characters dress up in knights armor to fight zombies. Knights armor. Why? No reason whatsoever. I literally cannot think of a sequel that so completely destroys everything about the franchise that came before it. At this point I'm just venting because IMDb requires ten lines of text for a review, when really all you need to know is that a flipping priest prays away an oncoming horde of zombies. What. The. Eff.

Oh, also, the main character is a bride and she cuts off the bottom of her dress with a chainsaw. What?

REC 3 you say....could have fooled me.

Author: jamessigsworth from Earth
24 July 2012

What is it with the third in a series of films? There are always exceptions to the rule, but generally the third film in a series is always a shocker....The Godfather 3, Jaws 3, Back to the Future 3, Spider Man 3, Superman 3 etc etc......

It appears the director of the first 2 REC films bore this in mind when making 3 and found the urge to break from this tradition just too difficult.

And so to REC 3. A film which will leave you stunned as events unfold before your ever furrowing brow and the first tear forms in the corner of your eye as every last ounce of credibility created by the first two films is sucked out of the series.....i do not exaggerate.

That said, I have only ONE problem with REC 3, and that is, it's called REC 3!!!!! If this film had been released under the title 'My wedding has gone to S**T', the new horror/comedy from the makers of.......it would have been OK. However, it is called REC 3, therefore it does not escape quite so easily.

I am not going to go into the first 2 REC films as the people, like myself, who have seen and loved them know why those films worked and why they should be heralded as great modern horror films, but it is for those same reasons that REC 3 is such a disappointment.

I cannot stress enough that this movie does not work for me simply because it is called REC 3. I will highlight the points in which as a stand alone movie it would work, and then in brackets why it doesn't under the title REC 3.

Good solid acting performances (these become meaningless once the anger starts to hit), Hand held camera style as used in 1 & 2 (discarded early on in the movie), Infected appear early on in the film ( the behaviour of the infected changes - one minute they are running and leaping around, the next, ambling and shuffling like F**K monkeys seemingly confused as they thought they were supposed to be in a REC film no doubt), Moments of bloody gore (Braindead anyone?), a sprinkling of light hearted comedic moments ( Go F**K yourself buddy, this is REC 3 not Abbot and Costello meet the psychotic flesh tearing maniacs at Shaun of the Dead's step sisters wedding!!!!).

But perhaps the most disturbing part of the film is the ability of the priest to stop in their tracks the infected by spewing out passages from the bible over the speaker system. The director might as well have shown the priest sat on his ass whilst he does this, coffee in hand and flicking through the film review section of this months Hot to Trot magazine, only to find REC 3 isn't F**KING IN IT!!!! Words alone cannot describe the amount of will power it took at this point to refrain from allowing my finger to press the STOP button on the remote control.

In one foul swoop this single handedly makes a mockery of the presence and actions of the priest in the second movie. I mean, we are told that the events of REC 3 run parallel with those of 1 & 2, so why would one priest know this would work and not the other? A bizarre move by the filmmakers to say the least to seemingly make pointless your own previous work don't you think? 20 minutes into the film I actually stopped playing it and removed the disc to check it, hoping that some terrible mistake had been made and I had been given the wrong movie.....unfortunately the only mistake made was by the filmmakers.

Some will point out that 'it is a brave move by the filmmakers', and that 'they took a chance with a change in style' but that simply does not wash...they have dropped a massive clanger here and it brings into question their actual abilities (were the first 2 movies a fluke, or is this one just a blip?).

And that's about it. This movie left me confused, disappointed and angry because it is not a REC film. I would have scored it a 5 which is a fair score had the film been released under another name. Unfortunately it is called REC 3 therefore it gets a 1, simply because zero is not an option......such a shame.

Rec 3 - A triple wreck

Author: Sci-Fi-Man from United States
23 July 2012

First two movies were serious, found footage shot, and scary. This movie is a campy and gory silly bit of fluff, that I ended up skipping ahead to see if it got better. It didn't. Nice zombie effects, but the silliness of some scenes just ruins what I look for in a movie, immersion.

The first part of the movie starts out well, with "found footage" coverage of a wedding. But when the camera suddenly becomes "movie", that is when things begin to go downhill. I skipped thru the second half of the movie, as I had lost interest, but there are a few good scenes, and out of nowhere, some intense gore.

The movie should have been called Zombie Wedding, as it really has nothing to do with Rec 1 and 2 (despite some lame attempts to link them).

This is a spoof right?

Author: Tyronnosaur from United Kingdom
23 July 2012

Well where to start...I'm gob smacked that such a brilliant zombie/horror franchise has been defaced.

The film totally departs from REC 1 & 2 with the only link being that "Uncle" was bit by "Jennifer's" (Little girl from REC 1) dog which was impounded from the vets, resulting in the authorities awareness of the infection and quarantining the original building.

I'm not sure what the director was thinking with the black humour/comedy and if it was even intentional or I was laughing at the juxtaposition of mess and slapstick deaths. The camera work itself is NOT hand-held, which totally opposes the 'REC' style and therefore doesn't have the same impact of claustrophobia and paranoia. The acting however wasn't too bad and I feel sorry for Leticia Dolera & Javier Botet, but the appalling storyline and screenplay made it impossible to be a good movie.

In conclusion it's not an entirely doomed film, and is better than most zombie films, but it's just got too much to live up to with its predecessors' and is not of REC standard. I think it's safe to say the REC fans need Jaume Balagueró back! As Paco Plaza simply cannot do it on his own. - Tyron.

A whole different "sequel"

Author: mhidalgo-305-233657 from Mexico
18 April 2012

If you have seen the 1st and 2nd parts, you'll notice a few matching events between those previous movies and this one. It's another parallel story, not the beginning as you could read from it's title: "Genesis", instead of a genesis, you get a love story that gets caught in the middle of a zombie-possessed infestation.

At some point the shooting style changes from the hand-held camera to director's view, which although refreshing, breaks the sequel style. I think the first two parts were scary, but this one became a mix of action, gore, with a touch of comedy that also breaks the sequel style, specially some illogical behavior under stress situations. Acting was OK, special effects were not disappointing.

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]