IMDb > The Impossible (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Lo imposible

The Impossible More at IMDbPro »Lo imposible (original title)

Page 7 of 31: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Amazing story of an unimaginable impossible real life disaster

Author: Ilovefilmsx from United Kingdom
5 January 2013

I left the cinema feeling very emotionally drained after this film but it was totally worth it. Only after viewing it will you understand the true meaning of why the film is called the impossible!

I viewed this film with open mind and not really knowing what to expect and straight away I was gripped by it! Its filmed so well that you cant help but feel as though you are right there living through this awful experience with the family. Everyone involved did an amazing job of making sure the audience were en-captured and could almost feel what the characters were feeling. I say almost as as much as I tried to feel it I doubt you could ever know how scary heartbreaking and terrifying it must have been to live through it but the film made sure I felt it enough to thank my lucky stars I have never had to and hopefully never will!

The tsunami hits very early on in the film which I wasn't expecting but nothing more of the before shots were needed, its simple, it was Christmas, they were a loving family in paradise in a brand new hotel on the beach front with lots of other people doing exactly the same thing. None of who could have possibly imagined what would unfold without any warning! The build up was quick and thats how it would have been, one minute your reading a book or in the pool and the next hell arrives on earth.

The rest of the film needs to be seen and not explained but its a very well told story of this families journey. It leaves you stomach and heart in your mouth the whole time as everything unfolds.

In some parts its gory and you do see dead bodies, some may say this is 'too much' but it isn't, that was how it was there so thats the story that should be told. It was devastating but real. Very real. This is not a feel good film and even though the families story is amazingly impossible, there is no good ending to this as for every amazing survival story there is a heartbreaking notion that roughly 230, 000 lost their lives.

The main focus was on this families story which was exactly the right thing to do but I believe it shows enough of glimpses of other peoples stories and horrific images to show how tragic it really was out there.

I came away thinking of this amazing family but also of all those who had a very different story to tell. As I feel at the end when they are leaving the devastation to return it was brilliantly captured that although they all survived and more thankful for this than they could put into words, their faces also showed their lives would never be the same again, this would live with them forever.

I watch lots of films, I enjoy lots of different genres but I can honestly say no film has ever made me feel the way this film did both at the time and still a day later as I write this.

That in itself proves this is a must-see film. It feels real. It was real and you will not forget it.

A true story, but...

Author: Paul G from United Kingdom
27 February 2013

I often find, with films that are based on real events, the story can be weak because of that fact - unless the acting and directing are superb, and they are not. This is obviously a very sad story about a natural disaster but it is not, in my opinion, entertainment.

The scene where the tsunami wave knocks trees down, tree by tree, just looks so unrealistic, and the following scenes do nothing to convince me.

A huge amount of people died in this tragedy, and yet the family that are depicted in the story all survive and fly home to live happily ever after. I usually trust the ratings on IMDb as I think the ratings are quite harsh, but how this was given such a high rating, I will never know.

The acting was poor from start to finish – avoid.

Blah Family in Disaster

Author: dms-21 from United States
13 February 2013

We went to see this based on a trailer that looked great combined with excellent reviews, but were very disappointed. The worst of it was that the characters lacked depth. "Blah Family in Disaster" would be a better title for this movie, since that's what you get. It seems like the director made a half-hearted attempt to establish some emotional depth for the characters before the disaster struck, but couldn't figure out how so just gave up and hoped that seeing them going through a hellish experience was all the plot he needed. What came out is chaos without any real drama.

Need to pad this for the line counter, so if I'll just say that if you're looking for a disaster *drama* rent Earthquake, or even Deep Impact - just about anything with a disaster theme is better than this, except perhaps Mars Attacks!

Juan Antonio Bayona knows how to make a fine film.

Author: ThePadraigMoista from Ireland
3 January 2013

Juan Antonio Bayona returns to the screen for the second time, after his first feature, the subtitled "The Orphanage." This time, he still captures a feeling of sheer terror, but from something completely different. Based on the true story of one of many families affected by one the biggest tsunamis to hit Asia in 2004. The consequences of the tsunami, and also the undying hope in a rapidly closing dark hole that they are all still alive.

Bayona really shined in this film. He knows how to direct actors, set up shots and craft a fine film. However, he was unable to salvage realism in the sappy, melodramatic scenes and more importantly the last 20 minutes. But then again, it's hard to find any director who could make those scenes any less than what they were, which is those exactly.

The dialog was gripping, there were a few unexpected developments in the screenplay, which poised a great deal of excitement. It grips you and never lets you go. I would say captivating, but that would be an understatement. Go see this film, it attained the perfect balance between being too exploitive and too childish. Not the best film of the year, due to a few scenes and maybe a bit on the children's acting side, but besides that, it is a great film.

good but too much (?)

Author: larryssa-68-866888 from france
2 December 2012

A wonderful true story, some great actors, great music and shooting makes it a very good dramatic movie. We have to acknowledge the work of all the crew and researches for this movie as we can see it in the end titles but... But if this story is true why add so much dramatic effects to it? We already are living the drama alongside with this family; more than a nightmare it's a radical change in their personal life and in History too. I personally think that the music (a great score by the way) is just too much, and the casting is not really fair with this Spanish family... But maybe are they trying to put this story at some universal point of view? Kind of an "evry one" story and not only their?

We didn't forget the 26th/12/2004, so why push it that way? And do not write on screen "true story" on the beginning when you put at the end "inspired by" and dedicate the last minute of the end credit (a few stand to see this!) to the personal thanks of Maria...

See it as a movie, and you will enjoy your time, see it as a biography of the events and you will be disappointed. There is a line between entertainment and reality.

Poor

Author: jacobhall-539-34758 from Cheltenham
6 January 2013

Excited as anybody here to see the film i have to say i was saddened not by the films story but the grotesque lack of reality. while i understand that when Hollywood gets its hands on any true story they will shall we say 'jazz it up' the blatant lack of Thai peoples, worse effected by the disaster then any other in reality leaves me a little on edge. worse still the few natives that you do see show zero signs of having been effected by events and go out of their way to help the family. The 4 stars i give this film go purely for the character of Lucas whom is relatable and who i actually felt emotion towards as the rest of the cast are understandably weak but to the point where it just gets annoying. A truly remarkable and inspiring story yes, a poor and unremarkable film yes.

Made for Lifetime...

Author: (khun.krumark@gmail.com) from Thailand
12 January 2013

The 3 stars are for the effects.

Dreadful "Made for Lifetime" movie. Better suited to women on a Sunday night while husbands are watching the playoffs upstairs!

No time at all was spent on the actual tsunami build up. It just suddenly happens and then it's over. We are treated to about 5 minutes of CGI effects within the opening 20 minutes. The rest of this film follows people around who are looking for other people.

How anyone could believe that the gorgeous actress had ever had three kids... well, you get the idea.

If you like overly melodramatic slush then this may hold some appeal.

Just because it actually happened and/or is true to how it went down doesn't mean that 50 million bucks should be spent turning it into movie.

This movie is awful all round and badly managed from start to finish.

A true story that begins with a lie

Author: adbrown100 from United States
4 January 2013

In "The Impossible," we are presented with a nice, blonde, sun-kissed English family (the Bennetts) when it fact the real family that the film is based on is a dark-haired, Spanish family, (the Belons.) This is even more mind-boggling when you realize that the director, Juan Antonio Bayona is a Spaniard. So much for verisimilitude.

The movie opens with the happy English family arriving at a plush Thai seaside resort and settling in for fun and games on a pristine beach with gin clear waters and later lounging at pool side. But wait! There's a distant rumble growing louder but only Maria (Naomi Watts) seems to notice it. Then with a crash, the wall of water arrives and all hell breaks loose. By some miracle the Bennett family including the three sons survives the tsunami after being tossed about amid the debris with only Maria suffering a serious leg injury. After the water recedes, we see the extent of the destruction, (real footage of the devastation?). But the only bodies or injured people that we see are fellow European tourists. Not one recognizable Thai local. And so the movie goes featuring only white tourists and their various travails. The Bennett family after wandering about and split up for a couple of days finally locate each other. After Maria has a life saving operation on her leg, the Bennets fly off in a chartered jet leaving the mess and the thousands of local dead behind them. Once again, white privilege counts for everything and the locals are left to fend for themselves.

The Impossible the Tsunami

Author: devesh070 from India
14 March 2013

The Impossible movie is one of the greatest ever movie over the tsunami I ever watch. In this movie actors and actress have done great work and the direction of movie is more awesome. Naomi watts and Ewan McGregor had gave there best work and they done so great work you actually can get emotional after watching the movie. You can also relate yourself to the feeling of the people about that day how can they have survived from tsunami. Its one of the great Tsunami movie I don't know how the director comes with so much water and done this fair job with movie. Movie can really show you the tsunami tragic. At last I would say that you really must watch this movie

One family's Odyssey amidst the destruction and chaos of the Southeast Asian tsunami.

Author: fragoo0317 from United States
13 March 2013

Naomi Watts delivers a strong performance as the mother of a family torn apart by the tsunami, but Tom Holland's performance carries the movie. Holland dominates the movie throughout,subtly changing his emotions from fear, to strength, to despair. A performance overlooked by the various film awards. An actor to watch for in the future. Not an easy movie to watch, but one that speaks to the power of family. Scene with Geraldine Chaplin and a young boy is a moment of simple wonder in an otherwise chaotic time. Cinematography adds to the emotional impact of both the actual tsunami striking the coast ofThailand, and the human scope of the disaster's aftermath.