IMDb > Here Comes the Boom (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Here Comes the Boom

Here Comes the Boom More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 11: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Extremely underrated. Watch this with an open mind and you'll love it

Author: siccnicc1982 from San Francisco, CA
14 August 2013

People are way too quick to bash this film and Kevin James. Yes, Paul Blart and Zookeeper were ridiculous, but enjoyable. This one however, is an actual MOVIE. I'm a huge King of Queens fan and always like James in whatever he's in, even if it is corny. But the corniness was left out of this one. Anyone who disagrees is clearly not watching this film with an open mind. The humor is not super goofy/silly, it's more natural and realistic. His character, unlike in his last 2 movies, is a normal guy who actually has some self confidence. He's a lovable, believable character in a movie that one critic quite accurately described as "School of Rock meets Rocky". It's about redemption, pride, ethics, perseverance and just taking one for the team. The Dutch guy who trains him is great. Funny as hell, love to see him in something else. The Philippina girl was perfect in her role and of course The Fonz came through as always. The incorporation of music made the movie. All done with a PG rating too. That's tough. Can't wait to see more of James, looking forward to Grown-Ups 2

Rocky Redux

Author: thesar-2 from United States
27 April 2013

Admittedly, I fell for it. I actually had a great time during Here Comes the Boom. And all the way to the predictable sports ending.

This movie screams the stereotypical "Based on/Inspired by/Is a" true sports underdog story, but I looked it up. Yes! I did research. It's not. Sorry, spoiler.

But, I didn't look that up until after the movie was over. And that's too bad, because all the way through this, I was finding this very cliché, predictable and has an enormously weak premise if this happened in real life.

That all said, it's still a very cliché, predictable and has an enormously weak premise and even then…I had a good time. The humor made me laugh out loud at moments, the heart was there and best of all, Kevin James ran around without a shirt on for a good sixth of the movie. Bonus!, but I understand irrelevant.

Terrible teacher, Scott (James,) with a minute, though growing, amount of a heart takes on the self-imposed task of raising $48,000 to save both his peer and music teacher's job and the entire school's music department. After a series of failed money attempts, Scott meets the right folks to align him with the cash from mixed-martial art fighting. Will Scott raise enough? Will he die trying since this is MMA and he's an overweight, out-of-shape, inexperienced, late-forties dude? Will he get the girl?

Seriously? I don't like spoiling major plot points, and I won't start here since you can draw your own conclusions. And yet… AND YET…

I still had a great time. I went along for the ride and in rare form for me and my reviews, I ditched the critic side. Perhaps it was because the characters had charisma, or because the comedy did make me laugh, or the energy from the cast and their respective fictional characters had me pumped. Maybe it was the Vegas shots I wasn't expecting. I dunno. I just had fun.

And that inevitable finale, with the funny homage to the movie this might be slightly imitating, had me sitting up and cheering. I even loved so much the following line by the Henry Winkler character I grew to love:

"You've already done it. To hell with my job. Look up there, look at those kids…Let me tell you what you would see. You would see a bunch of our students witnessing complete resolve in the face of an unbearable obstacle. They are invested. Scott, they're inspired. That's what we're supposed to do as teachers, right? Inspire. You can quit right now and everything that we've worked will have been accomplished. You know, last night, Molie said to me on the phone that you thought I was your hero. You're mine." – Marty.

I know this movie, on the surface, may appear like cheese. And it's certainly one I would normally chew up and spit out…But, on a rare occasion, they got to me and they won. I had fun and would recommend this movie.

What a wonderful way to spend an evening!

Author: guillotshim from Jesup, GA
25 April 2013

I saw "teacher", and so we picked up this title in hopes that Kevin James would be as entertaining as in Mall Cop. The PG rating was a plus and we knew most of the cast. We were totally blown away at HOW fabulous the movie was. From its opening seen to closing credits, we were laughing, cheering, sitting on the edge of our seats and enjoying the evening for a change. This is a movie with action, humor, romance, and all without the harsh words, but it has several fun surprises and twists. Great Family movie. The UFC challenge was choreographed very well and may be more than little ones(under 6 years) can handle. If you are UFC or wrestling fans, give this movie an honest try. We are NOT fans and we enjoyed it immensely. We'll be adding it to our home library.

Hidden Jewel

Author: shaynetrain
29 March 2013

I normally don't watch too many comedies because they usually don't turn out being very good. When I saw this movie had Kevin James in it, I instantly thought of Mall Cob and thought no thank you. However, I decided to take a gamble and let the movie speak for itself. I was glad I did.

While a comedy will probably never be as well received as a really good drama or action in my opinion, this one was a really good feel good comedy that was actually truly funny for a majority of the time. It had a great storyline, great action (for a comedy), and pretty good acting in my opinion.

I probably would not rewatch this movie on my own accord, but if the opportunity arises to see it again I wouldn't turn it down. Great movie for families with kids, Kevin James fans, or a movie to just unwind and have a laugh.

Inspirational. Not a hit, but try to watch

Author: joebyron from United States
19 February 2013

When I first saw the trailer for this movie. I thought "oh great, another movie that looks awesome, but since Kevin James is in it, its probably just another movie that only looks awesome". So I didn't watch it in theaters. Though I get free movie tickets. I avoided renting it and would rent Wrong Turn 4 and feel as if I made the right choice. But finally I broke down and rented it. I mean I was baking drum sticks and that takes an hour, so if anything I had a good movie I could half pay attention to and then eat some good food before I put a real movie in (ironically my "good movie" is the latest installment of lake placid).

What I found was I would be burning my drumsticks. Kevin James actually made a movie worth the watch. Not just something to confusing and let down movie goers (i.e. Paul Blart Mall Cop, which is not observe and report).

Half of an hour in, when I should of been turning my drumsticks I was in love with the characters, and curious about their futures. The final few scenes actually made me feel inspired.

Over all, damn good job Mr. James.... Damn good job.

Brilliant

Author: edmehrzad from North Vancouver
9 February 2013

What an awesome movie, just funny and heart warming from beginning to end, it's a shame it doesn't get more attention that it really deserves because it's hands down better than %80 of the movies that are coming out these days in any genre, this movie has everything from A to Z , the acting is great which is surprising because there are a few new comers and others that you seen on TV but didn't think they can act, it has integrity, honesty, it never gets boring, they manage to keep the viewer interested all the way through, plus you got Salma who like wine keeps getting better by age. and its genuinely funny. Rent it or buy it on DVD or blue ray or whatever, you wont' regret it.

I was expecting lame and cheesy. This was cheesy but I really enjoyed it much more then I thought I would. I say A-

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
4 February 2013

"I wasn't knocked out cold I was half-in half-out, although I did see a unicorn. I was riding it." High school teacher Scott Voss (James) has become disenchanted with the school system he is in. While he is at a meeting he is told that the school will be stopping the music program that is headed by his friend Marty (Winkler). Wanting to save his friends job Scott begins to fight in MMA matches in order to raise the money to save the program. I have to admit that I was not looking forward to this one. I really like Kevin James but the movie looked to cheesy for me to get into. I was very wrong. While the movie was cheesy it was the good kind and it made you feel good watching it for the entire time. The best way to describe this is that it is a mix between Rocky and Mr. Holland's Opus. Two movies I never thought would be connected but it worked. This is one of the best family movies that has come out in a while and is one of the most surprisingly good movies that I have seen in a long time. I highly recommend this. Overall, a great movie that every member of the family will enjoy. I give it an A-.

First Time to Write a Review -Thanks to This Movie

Author: newyears1978
22 January 2013

So, I am not a writer by any means. I have little to no writing skills and because of this I typically do not write reviews or any other form of writing online or elsewhere.

I went into this movie thinking it was going to be a typical Kevin James (corny yet funny) movie and so my expectations were set as such. I was pleasantly surprised. This movie was better than a typical Kevin James movie. It was great for a family, and as far as I can tell was a very Christian-ish inspired story. There is a great moral lesson and the comedy was pretty good.

My wife had already taken my kids to see this movie and I was disappointed that I ended up watching this by myself because it is a movie that would have been great experienced with my family.

So, great movie, the cast was good especially Henry Winkler. Equally good cast of co-stars and kid actors. Really enjoyed this film and it had some great heart touching moments.

I definitely recommend you see this if you like comedies, family movies, or even are just an MMA fan :)

Old school

Author: seularts
20 January 2013

I have to say, there are still film directors that know how to revive epic movies. This is one of them, thou it's a dying bread this days. One more thing I loved about this movies is that they used a good and solid soundtrack behind it.

The story is super fun, a lot of crazy moments and a rely nice love story. What can I say I am impressed. I also loved the idea of foreign people being involved and keeping their accents, and the most important ingredient is earning RESPECT in this movies, which it did by 110%.

I recommend it to all who want to have a nice evening and a very good laugh in the same time. 10 out of 10 from me.

I just love this one !, give a 10 from 10 easy !

Author: assistec24 from Portugal
18 January 2013

I watch with some doubts on start; but, after a while, the little smile on my face grow, then something tick on my heart; this movie have some innocent message, clean and fresh, something rare this days of "zero dark thirty... ". Make me remind the "old good America" days, and I start to enjoy the movie more and more, even - like some reviews here say -we all know how will finish. But thats its not the point, the gain come when some little phrases, some little details are presented (the kids who travel with Joe Rogan help) - this little things like some fragile flowers pressed between the pages of a old book of adventures who one lost some 30 years ago... After shocking and dirty "modern" action movies - this one come like a glass of fresh water on a hot day... I highly recommend for a day when you feel tired and emptied... 10 points here from 10 with all my heart.

Page 8 of 11: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]