IMDb > Here Comes the Boom (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

incredibly average

Author: poyrazbaklan from Tokyo, Japan
13 February 2013

First of all, when you hear Kevin James, the lovably clumsy chubby guy, doing an mma movie, you no doubt will have doubts. It sure is a comedy but how will he pull it off? Will it be about him going in the cage and doing slapstick routines or maybe the movie will fit the fight scenes in a montage and focus on the comedic parts. Apparently it's not, James sure pulls it off and although it is kind of unbelievable to see him do roundhouse kicks, the fight scenes are decent to watch. Yet, the rest of the movie..just...isn't. This has been done before, in the perfectly average nacho libre, which in turn was inspired by the true story of Fray Tormenta. People are wrong about complaining how the jokes in this movie aren't funny, because there are hardly any jokes at all. It is rather set up as an inspiring movie, just short of drama, with some scenes of james falling down or getting punched, just to make it more comedic. Other than the "teacher needs money for school so he fights" setting, there is no story to speak of. I think the producers just thought about putting Fonzi, Kevin james and mma fighters in a room and waited for hilarity to ensue, and it just didn't happen. Though henry winkler is a little over the top with his devoted music teacher attitude and including Bas rutten is also a nice touch, the rest of the movie is in shambles. It is not bad, it just isn't a comedy, or simply not good enough.

Great Movie!

Author: sgrif001 from United States
13 October 2012

My husband and I just watched this last night and we were blown away. We came in expecting a normal Happy Madison/Kevin James movie and were very pleasantly surprised at what a good message it had and also how well written it was. It was refreshing to have a good comedy without a million swearwords and naked women. Definitely a must-see!

The movies does have it's slap-stick comedy, as expected, but it was all very tasteful as it is PG.

It had a wonderful message regarding the school system and teachers and was a great film. I hope many teachers see this movie and become re- inspired.

The movie is yes a little far fetched, but it also realistic in so many ways and the ending is perhaps one of the best that we have sen in years.

Not very funny and Predictable

Author: Floated2
25 August 2016

Kevin James stars as Scott Voss, a high school biology teacher who's gradually lost his passion for education. But when budget cutbacks threaten to cancel the school's music program and lay off its teacher (Henry Winkler), Scott volunteers to raise money to save his job. Teaching night classes at the local community college doesn't pay nearly enough, however, so Scott enlists the help of one of his students to train him to become a mixed martial arts fighter after he learns you can make good money even by losing. Though the school principal believes that Scott is making an embarrassment of himself by getting beat up, he quickly earns the respect of his students and the faculty while unexpectedly rising within the MMA ranks. Here Comes the Boom doesn't provide many laughs and is too predictable for one's liking. The film extends and doesn't provide much twists, turns or anything much of greatness.

Here Comes the Broom Is A Great Film Sweep ****

Author: edwagreen from United States
10 August 2013

This is essentially a comic version of Mr. Holland's Opus and highlights the fact that schools are being cut funds for the arts and music.

Mr. James essentially plays a burned out high school biology teacher who finds his way when a colleague, Henry Winkler's position is threatened by budgetary cutbacks.

To save the job of his colleague, Voss (James) resorts to a career in fighting and wrestling and actually succeeds.

Surprisingly, I correctly guessed that there would be an embezzlement of funds. I even knew who the embezzler would be.

The film is funny, inspiring and a joy to watch.

Great feel good movie and very funny

Author: wesleysmits from Netherlands
10 February 2013

Even though the cover on the box and the trailer didn't really give me the feeling that i was really going to enjoy this movie it was one of the best movies i've seen in a long time.

The story seems kind of far fetched at first but the acting and feeling of the movie take all doubts away quite soon and suck you right into the story.

There are several moments where i laughed out loud and there were some moments which will bring tears to the bit more emotional people among us.

I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone.

Here Come the Kevin

Author: PartialMovieViewer from United States
10 February 2013

So is, 'Here Comes the Boom', the best movie I have ever seen – nope, I can't say it is. I will say that this was even far from the worse I have seen as well. The writing was a little disjointed in the beginning and maybe the character development was a bit slow. The cast was very good. Selma Hayek is always a hoot to watch, I mean she is a breathtakingly beautiful woman who can also be very funny. As always, Henry Winkler did not disappoint, his performance as a music teachers with a very loose grip on reality was an excellent interpretation. Bravo to Kevin James, not only was he enjoyably funny but he lost some serious pounds to play this part. No longer will I look at him and see, 'Mall Cop' (although – I won't be looking at him and saying UFC champ either or consummate science teacher.) Just from watching the trailers one knew this was going to be the underdog movie of the year (well maybe the month or the week.) I always enjoy stories about the downtrodden rebounding from the bowels of impending defeat and winning the day at the very last moment. Oh, and I will tell you,, 'Here Comes the Boom', did not let me down. Basically (a word I hate to begin with), the movie begins with a group of displaced townies and misfit teachers, each members with their own story, each of these folk are suffering some kind of distress and all aimless wandering around Hooterville Mass. – wanting and needing something. What do they need – what do they need? Well duhhh…the Hootervillians all are looking for a hero and the obvious choice is the loser biology teacher. I should stop right there since I do not wish spoil it for everyone. I will say that this truly sad excuse for a town had absolutely no direction and really needed a hero. This is where Mr. Kevin James and his team step it up and saves the day. I thought the movie was well worth the time and the, 'Red Box' fee, and, for me, it was worthy of quite a few laughs.

Finally getting somewhere

Author: Crackhouse2 from United Kingdom
20 January 2013

Its great to finally see Kevin James fit in the big screen as he did on the small screen. I loved his brand of comedy on The King of Queens and its good to see after a couple of attempts that they've started putting him in the same light on the big screen.

The film is exactly what you want from a Kevin James film, inspiring the uninspired and trying your best to overcome whatever woes are in front of you. Plot wise there's nothing new, but this is just representative of the industry and not the film; its a good, uplifting fun film for everyone to enjoy. This is definitely worth a watch and hope to see Kevin James go from strength to strength.

Much better than I expected

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
16 November 2012

Forty-something overweight slacker teacher Scott (Kevin James) is upset to learn that, because of budget cuts, the music programme at his school is to close and music teacher Marty (Henry Winkler) will lose his job just as his wife has become pregnant at 48. So, after a couple of false starts, Scott buckles down to generate the $48,000 necessary to keep the music department going - by cage fighting, where you get paid even if you lose.

From the films I have seen Kevin James in, I don't rate him - I have always found him a functional actor: he wears the costume and says the lines, but brings nothing else of any significance to his roles. So I was not expecting anything very much from this movie, especially given the ridiculous plot.

And yet I really enjoyed it. Kevin James brings a niceness to Scott - for all the lack of motivation in his work at the start of the film, the determination he shows to help Marty keep his job carries through into his work, and he both finds himself and also connects with his students (not to mention with fellow teacher Salma Hayek, who rejects his constant advances more or less throughout the film). After a dodgy start, there are a couple of laugh out loud moments (not particularly tasteful, admittedly) and a lot of smiling nearly all the way through. Winkler and Hayek have great fun, there is excellent support from Gregg Germann, Charice, and Bas Rutten, and James does a good job of holding the whole thing together.

If you fancy a feelgood comedy based on Rocky crossed with The Blackboard Jungle, you could do worse than this.

Incidentally, I don't know whether the title means something in the USA, but it means nothing in England.

For those days when a little inspiration is all you need!

Author: ryansassy1 from United States
4 November 2012

I am going to whisper a little secret that could destroy my cred on IMDb. Promise not to tell? Okay, here it is: I don't like Rocky all that much. There, I said it. Skewer my review with negative votes later, after you've heard me out.

Not being the usual target audience for standard boxing films, it therefore came as a surprise to me that I liked HCTB as much as I did. Kevin James was previously unknown to me (I never saw even one episode of King of Queens), and the Fonz used to irritate me back in the day when Happy Days was on the air. So in short, I have no idea why I wanted to see this movie in the first place, but I'm glad that I did.

Here are my three theories why I could get past myself to buy into this story:

1. Kevin James turned out to be a smart writer, a sympathetic actor, and really very funny; 2. Henry Winkler as it happens, has an impressive acting range -- and he's also really funny; 3. Bas Rutten -- downright hilarious! Who knew?

These three unlikely heroes transformed the familiar Boxing Movie Formula into something with tremendous heart. (You know the formula: underdog aspires to be a great fighter, overcomes huge odds, eventually makes it into the ring to face his arch nemesis).What made middle-aged Kevin James aka Scott Voss believable as the disillusioned high school teacher turned pro MMA fighter, is a combination of the film's unflinching look at how brutally he was defeated time and again, but also a kind of optimism that sneaks up on you--yes he's old and out of shape at the start, but he learns a lot along the journey, and he has a growing passion for his righteous cause. You will be rooting for him and his cohorts in no time.

So don't pay attention to that little voice inside that says you're not the type to see this film, or to the film critics that can't get over themselves because this movie isn't complicated enough or depressing enough to be winning any Oscars: HCTB is inspiring enough, and that's the hallmark of a winner to my way of thinking.

Here Comes The BOOM! .....

Author: Chad Bangtidy Kinnair from Leeds
25 November 2012

Here comes the boom is a film about a Teacher who wishes his school had more funding in which he decides to take up Boxing.... Hmm.... Yes, it's self explanatory. He's not very good. And it's very predictable. And because it's American, everything works out well... What a shock. However, I was cunningly surprised by the film. Overall it was quite good. Very aggressive, violent, made me jump back a few times and hilarious! There was some parts what kind of let the film down a little. The ending... Now I'm not one to spoil it so I'm not going to but for god sake.... This is like the symbol of American Boy Teen films. And it really did kind of ruin it...

I must say, the consumer's really did enjoy it. The cinema was loud, full of people laughing. It obviously isn't the best film I've seen; nor worse. It's probably just in between. Hmmm... I maybe would consider this to a boy about 13/14+ (I'm that age myself) However older people, I'd give it a miss... :/

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]