IMDb > Here Comes the Boom (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Awesome movie

Author: Kklee92010 from United States
12 October 2012

Just saw this movie today... Love it! henry Winkle was so funny, Kevin James looked awesome , and Bas was hilarious !, This a good weekend. Movie, if you like MMA... It was not too slapstick funny, loved all fight scenes..

Wonder how long it took for Kevin to get in shape, but he looked damn good. I will be buying this movie when it comes out DVD, My husband did not fall asleep, so I know this was good movie , He called his friend, to tell him to go and see this movie. The whole cast was great .

Everyone was laughing that was in the theater. I was waiting for Adam saddler to show up somewhere is thins movie.

Typical Kevin James Film

Author: Chrisgunn91 from United Kingdom
31 January 2013

Here Comes the Boom is Kevin James latest film which sees him tackling the world of MMA. James a lifelong fan of MMA trained in mix martial arts for this role and it is evident in his performance as a teacher turned UFC fighter.(This being the first film with official UFC licensing.

This film is aimed at the same demographic as those who enjoyed Chuck and Larry or King of Queens, its an interesting watch with enough depth to keep you watching. Though this film has a few good laughs and a steady if a somewhat predictable story line its main flaw is attention to detail with the minor characters that make the story.

Overall it is worth a watch but don't expect to see it on any all time great lists. The best is yet to come from Kevin James and I am sure we will see it from him in the future.

Broad crowd pleasing comedy

Author: akrasian-500-47915 from United States
11 October 2012

I'm not a huge (or even a small) fan of Kevin James, but I was dragged to the Phoenix area premiere of this film tonight, and was surprised by it. It was definitely an enjoyable film, even if not a classic. It was funny, even if the filmmakers obviously went down the list one by one on how to make a crowd pleaser. Combine something culturally hot (MMA) with a comedy - check. Have the hero's brother's problems resolved quickly, while also solving another character's problems - check. Warm message glossed over quickly - check. Sudden setback easily resolved - check. Resolution provided by the hero remembering a telegraphed lesson from an unlikely character - check. Love interest going from hostile to very helpful - check.

Despite the formulaic nature, it features some funny (albeit broad) humor, and a nice performance from Henry Winkler. It's worth seeing.

An easy to watch film

Author: Thomas Alder from Staffordshire
9 May 2013

An easy to watch film, sit back and enjoy the ride. Fairly good in parts and some good action considering the average age of the actors. an easy watch film. fairly predictable ending, nether the less still good to watch.

Steve Austin played a good part, although a second bit rate part. Was a fairly low budget film by the looks of things, but again had the viewer gripped in parts. worth a watch, quite funny again in places.

If it came out at a supermarket for £3 I would say go out and buy it, but for a full price DVD perhaps not. Would have saw it a cinema for orange Wednesday buy one get one free and would have been happy with the purchase along with some tasty popcorn to keep you interested.

Review: Here Comes the Boom; 2012

Author: srikant-82 from India
24 March 2013

I was rather ready to skip watching this one but what a disaster that would have been.

This movie has all sort of stuff. U name it and you have it.

Its inspirational and motivating to connect with a guy who is practical but follows emotion. His weakness and his uniqueness, clubbed with events around makes him do what he believes if right.

A highly recommended movie to be watched when you have a kind of low feeling all around.

An wonderful journey which should be enjoyed without prejudice and distraction.

Kevin James provides a refreshing and underrated performance in "Boom"

Author: zabelb from Cedar Falls, Iowa
12 March 2013

I would like to start off this review by saying that I was expecting to hate this movie with a burning passion. Kevin James seems to be on this trend of being in movies with a ridiculous plot line in hopes to attract the youth audience.

"Here Comes The Boom" was a refreshingly good movie that may not have provided me with gut-wrenching laughs throughout the movie, but left me in a great mood and happy I watched it. I feel that it was put in a difficult spot by being labeled a "comedy" movie because I feel it wasn't aiming to be the most humorous movie out there. I think it would have been better labeled to be a "feel-good inspirational" movie.

"Boom" may not be your traditional comedy, but it was a fun ride none the less. Give it a chance, but don't expect to be rolling from laughter. View it as if it was an inspirational movie, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Fun, simple, feel good, uplifting and clean...what more can you ask for?

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
5 February 2013

I suppose my expectations for this film could be described as mediocre. I hadn't heard too much about it and the trailers looked okay. I began to hear some feedback that was somewhere between "awful" and "yah it was okay." So to say that Here Comes The Boom exceeded my expectations is a sincere understatement. This movie was fantastic! Yes it was cookie cutter, it was the stereotypical, near predictable sports hero Rocky underdog type movie. That doesn't make it bad at all. I love a lot of those types of movies. They still have to make it interesting with good characters and they do that and beyond. It was just so nice to sit and watch a movie that was a little bit of comedy, a little bit of romance, drama and quite a bit of action. It was also nice to watch something that turned out to be clean family fun!! It does have some pretty violent fight scenes so certainly viewer discretion is advised but no nasty toilet humour, sex talk, bad language or anything like that. It was believable and sweet and the cast were all so good together. The chemistry was just about perfect.

I like Kevin James, not love him but like him a lot. He definitely has some genuine lovable qualities and he proves in this movie that he can carry a movie effortlessly. This isn't his usual silly slapstick comedy and he really puts forth a great effort and actually is very believable as a 42 Year old fat biology teacher that trains to be a UFC fighter. He makes you root for him!! Henry Winkler who is always amazing (and looks incredible for his age by the way!) is absolutely perfect as the music teacher whose job is on the line. Winkler and James are wonderful together and will bring tears to your eyes more than once. Winkler balances drama and comedy like a seasoned professional which he is. Salma Hayek was, in my opinion, a bit of an odd choice for the romantic lead. She is okay and her and James are okay together but the movie is so good and I feel like a better female lead might have made this all the more together. Out of everything I didn't buy their romance and didn't feel invested in it. Bas Rutten was simply fantastic. He was a scene stealer and was just so terrific in his role. He was hilariously funny and yet really great in the more dramatic scenes. They couldn't have found anyone better for this role. Plus him and James were simply awesome together. The supporting cast were all great with honourable mention to Shelly Desai in an adorably sweet role that will have you laughing and then crying, and Charice as a student of James' that is his support system in his classroom.

It didn't surprise me when I saw director Frank Coraci helmed this film. He also directed the absolutely amazing "Click" which is probably one of the greatest comedic-dramas I've ever seen. He knows a good script, cast and story and just knows how to bring out the best in each and every scene. This film will get the typical complaints about it because people hate to just let themselves enjoy something and be uplifted. Yes you have seen this before or at least something similar but that doesn't make it less enjoyable! It is a genre in and of itself, the "underdog" sports movie and this one does it extremely well. Sit down with the family and laugh and smile and cry because this movie will make you do all of the above. Loved it! 9/10

Great Feel Good Movie - Loved it

Author: DJ Opium from Melbourne, Australia
14 December 2012

Great feel good movie with plenty of laughs. As the movie is based around UFC, not sure how appropriate this would be for the young ones. I'm not into graphic violent movies and this certainly wasn't one of them.

Full respect to Henry Winkler as it brings me back beautiful memories of "Happy Days". Brilliant actor. Love You Fonz! Kevin James is very funny though I don't find in HaHa funny. He is certainly a great actor and the numerous supporting actors in this movie really assist Kevin James bring out his own comedic flavor.

Salma Hayek is still hot after all these years but it looks like she's done something to her teeth. Never the less, great choice for this role.

Overall 9/10. Worth seeing it at the cinemas so you can lol with others :)

Surprise Gem of a movie

Author: martinawatson from United Kingdom
21 November 2012

Just seen this film over the weekend and must say what a great little movie. Although the mixture of MMA fighting in what is basically a family movie may be slightly off putting to some , however going with younger teenagers would be a bonus. It is a movie that the whole family can really enjoy (but equally works if you watched it with a bunch of mates few beers and a pizza), its hard to describe , i guess it was like a family movie from an adult perspective. Entertaining throughout, I actually laughed out loud several times (once so hard and you'll know which bit if you see it, i surprised myself) , it was surprisingly uplifting , tender, exciting in parts. Really great to see Henry Winkler , Kevin James gives a believable and charming performance and there are some notable moments from the rest of the cast. I would echo what other forum posters are saying , ten times better than what i thought it would be , Kevin James should be proud of this great little movie, go and see it or hire it out at home, one of the most enjoyable movies of the year.

A comedy movie without a lot of comedy.

Author: Alex Powell from Ireland
19 November 2012

Here Comes the Boom

Starring: Kevin James, Salma Heyek and Henry Winkler

Synopsis: When budget cuts threaten the music class and music teacher (Henry Winkler), Scott (Kevin James) a lazy biology teacher at the same school decides to help out by trying to raise the money by fighting in mixed-martial arts cage matches for the prize money.

Review: The film opens with under-achieving biology teacher Scott hardly finding the energy to make it to the school on time let alone to teach and inspire his students. When budget cuts threaten the extra-curricular music department and the last inspirational teacher Marty, Scott although with ulterior motives showing off to school nurse Bella (Salma Heyek) he stands up for Marty and soon realizes he's the only one willing to help. This movie is advertised as a comedy however you'll struggle to laugh more than a hand full of times through the duration. I found it constantly struggling with what style of comedy it was aiming for with some gross-out humor and then some subtle humorous moments. Kevin does take to the fighting scenes very well and I believe him to have lost weight and bulk up during the film as the story lines plays out.

As Scott settles in with training and the occasional victory in the ring he also learns to become a better teacher in the process and quickly becomes favored by the students. It's a very predictable movie seen hundreds of times before but a strength this film has is that the fights are not predictable and are played out incredibly well. Henry Winkler gets a lot of laughs playing a mild mannered music teacher, whose eyes are opened when introduced to the world of mixed-marital arts. Many of the laughs do come from Niko a fun loving Dutch MMA and gym instructor however and unfortunately written with a lot of stereotype. The next 'Rocky' movie it won't be however an enjoyable movie that will keep you entertained throughout.

Watch this if you liked: King of Queens, Zookeeper or Grown-ups.

Verdict: Enjoyable movie with great fight sequences shame the comedy is not polished and the story is predictable.

Page 2 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]