IMDb > Here Comes the Boom (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Here Comes the Boom

Here Comes the Boom More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Very funny feel good movie

Author: Padraig Power from United States
12 October 2012

I had low expectations for this given the plot (which you can't take seriously) and figured the best parts were shown in the trailers. I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

The plot is all very predictable but really who cares for this type of movie. The dialog is not that sharp (Seven Psychopaths it is not) and while some parts are a little corny, the film is light hearted, does not take itself too seriously and is excellent entertainment if you want to switch off your brain at the end of the week.

This film moves at a good pace, is funny throughout, with some real laugh out loud moments, and leaves you with a good feeling at the end.

Kevin James brings the Boom

Author: rgblakey from United States
12 October 2012

Whether you find him funny or not, Kevin James has been racking up the hits since focusing on movies. While not all were hit with the critics, he has managed to garner a following. The trailer for his latest Here Comes The Boom looked like a mix of the same old fair that he normally delivers, but does it have any chance of working to deliver a funny comedy or will it end up being just another forced goofy addition to his resume.

Here Comes The Boom follows a biology teacher who is determine to save the music program from being cut in their school by becoming a mixed-martial arts fighter. While the premise is a bit out there and some of the scenarios are a bit far-fetched this movie works surprisingly well. There are plenty of laughs here that work on numerous levels, but depending on how big a fan of James you are will determine how funny they are. The real surprise here was the fact that there was so much more here than just a stupid comedy. The story is a typical underdog tale with comedy, but enough heart to keep you rooting for James throughout the whole film. Gone is the usual over the top bumbling funny fat guy, in its place was a cooler everyman that works perfectly for this story. James steps up to really deliver more than he has to date. He shows not only a good range with some different emotions, but is pretty impressive with his ability to carry the fight scenes. It was nice to see that while this was a comedy, they still took the fighting side of it seriously to deliver something not only believable but entertaining and will suck you right into the action. The rest of the cast do a great job of bringing everything together, with the real highlights being Henry Winkler who is a spitting image of the band teacher in the Simpsons and former MMA legend Bas Rutten. Both of these guys never take themselves seriously and deliver some funny memorable and likable characters.

This movie was a real surprise on almost every level. It delivers an almost Rocky like underdog tale with some over the top funny moments to create something completely unexpected. Kevin James really knocked it out of the park here and hope he sticks to these kinds of roles and continues to stretch his acting range.

Great clean comedy-drama and The Fonz stole the show!

Author: Deepfried-Egg from U.S. of A.
2 October 2012

The King of Queens is at it again and he hit this one out of the park! Salma Hayek also put in a fun performance as did Henry Winkler. Kevin's real life brother offered up some of the funnier moments dealing with domestic realities. Every character in this film made me laugh until it hurt. This film is a sure crowd pleaser as it has the Asians, Hispanics and the white crowd both old and young covered quite well. Most of the comedy is from the older actors in this film so I think the older crowd will appreciate this film as much as teens will. At times you know you are watching a comedy. At other points you know there is good heart touching drama added in with a comedic touch. And then when the fighting kicks in you feel like you are watching a real fight. If you have a heart for music studies you will cheer these characters on! If you enjoy the UFC/MMA fighting then you'll have a blast watching Kevin James dive into this world and get/give a good whooping! A lot of the real players/announcers/refs from UFC are in this film adding to the feel of a real UFC match. It's a smart film in it's comedic moments. On the other hand, as contrived and predictable as many elements in this story are, you will still find yourself cheering the players on and maybe even feel your eyes water due to feelings from either end of the emotional spectrum. I had given up on comedy films in recent years as most of them our just way too raunchy. But the PG rating on this film...I applaud all those behind this production. This movie works and it will make anyone laugh!

Best Feel Good Comedy of 2012 So Far!

Author: DeShawn Raimey from United States
27 September 2012

This move was much better than expected! At first I gave it 8 stars, but then I thought about it and could not think of anything this movie was missing for a PG film! Many adults look away at PG films because maybe they think the movie will have their type of entertainment. This flick will definitely give adults and children a lot of comedy, more comedy, action and even inspiration!. This is the best feel good-comedy I have seen all year. Kevin James has always had his own type of unique comedy, which was funny to me. His chemistry with the supporting case was wonderful. This is Kevin James's best film to date. Give this movie a chance if your looking for a movie to watch with the family, date night, or just want a great laugh and a little inspiration.

Here Comes the Favorable Review! My Favorite Movie of 2012!

Author: Peter Alvin from Charlotte, NC
12 October 2012

My wife and I really enjoyed this movie! It's a must see if you've been waiting for a quality family movie and provides a full spectrum of Friday night entertainment. Even though it won't win any Academy Awards it's my favorite movie of 2012 because it just made me feel good.

Good Points: Perfect casting; all the characters were very believable and enjoyable to watch. I really liked Henry Winkler's performance. He stole the show. The movie is genuinely funny with many out loud moments. It's a family movie with a clean positive message. It was also touching at times. The screenplay was well-written. It's didn't contain too many original ideas but you know it really didn't matter--it was satisfying. It wasn't a cheaply made movie; it showed a quality production and was the pacing was perfect--I was thoroughly engrossed from beginning to end and it never lagged. Salma Hayek provided both eye candy and a lot of substance.

Bad Points: There really wasn't anything bad about the movie. Perhaps it was slightly corny but I didn't care. It contained violent and bloody fighting scenes, so exercise caution for children under 8 years old. The title of the movie is odd and I wish they had chosen a better title.

10/10 rating; well worth a full price ticket!

Finally, a Kevin James film I enjoyed all the way to the end.

Author: actionlad from United States
29 October 2012

I loved "King of Queens" and I think Kevin James is a very talented comedic actor, but until this film, he hadn't made a film where he was the star that I could really get behind. Each of his past flicks had him in some unlikeable loser role with a problem nobody cared about. This one figured some things out in how to make him likable and fun to watch. I don't want to give away too much on this film as you may see some of the plot points coming from a mile away, but this is just a nice feel-good comedy. It's not trying to be something more than that. By the way, former professional MMA fighter, Bas Rutten steals every scene he's in. Way to go Bas!

What A Pleasant Surprise! Capraesque Feel Good Film!

Author: DUKEJBM from Right Here
12 October 2012

High art this is not but anyone that expects high level stuff from a movie with this premise is not watching it with the right frame of mind. It's a good old fashion feel good film with a message. Dare I say Capraesque? I wouldn't even classify this as a comedy. It's a fantasy of goodwill film that induces plenty of smiles and packs heart. Kevin James is perfect in the lead and his common man qualities play extremely well here. They lean on the Rocky formula a lot but that's not necessarily a bad thing. One thing is for sure, Salma Hayek is the hottest "Adrian" type love interest to ever play in this type of film. She's amazing throughout. A warm shout out to Henry Winkler who is also perfectly cast as the somewhat eccentric music teacher with the heart of gold.

A wonderful surprise that I enjoyed very much.

Kevin James scores

Author: Treyroo from Saratoga Springs, NY
6 December 2012

You've been doing the same job for most of your adult life and stopped making an effort a decade ago. Then you hear the news that someone who's been doing the job even longer and still makes an effort is about to be fired. Do you let it happen?

Scott Voss (played by Kevin James) is a 42 year- old biology teacher. Ten years ago, he was given a Teacher of the Year award but when we join the story, he's sleeping late, making little or no effort in the classroom and seen as an embarrassment by the principal, Mr. Betcher (played by Greg Germann). When Betcher (Germann) catches him sneaking into class late via the classroom window, he gives Voss parking lot duty and strips him of a vacation day. Rather than accept more work that he's in no way interested in doing, he tries to find someone to fill in for him. His colleague, Marty, the music teacher (played by Henry Winkler) is more than willing to assume the responsibility but also a little shaken by the news that his wife is pregnant. Later, at a school board budget meeting, he's given the even more troubling news that thanks to budget problems, the music program is in jeopardy. Voss, despite his long-standing apathy, offers to raise money to save the music program and his colleague's job. He resumes the job of teaching citizenship classes in night school but sees that the wages would make it near-impossible to earn the money in time. One of his students, Niko (played by Bas Rutten) asks for additional tutoring and Voss agrees, reluctantly. It is during a tutoring session at Niko's apartment that Voss, who wrestled in college, sees a mixed martial arts match, learns that the loser was paid $10,000, and decides he can raise the money by joining this very punishing sport.

Now, the last Kevin James movie that I saw in theaters was Zookeeper. I wasn't impressed. I won't say that Here Comes the Boom was impressive, but it was easily a step up from Zookeeper. Also, naming the movie after what would eventually become the main character's theme song isn't particularly creative. Still, I was entertained. Watching an overweight 42 year-old enter the ring and take serious punishment over and over…and over was hilarious and watching the effect his decision to make an effort had, not just on him but on the entire cast of characters, was bizarrely uplifting. I don't imagine James or any of his co-stars will receive awards for their work in this film, but I liked it and you might too.

525th Review: Huge surprise -James finally makes very good indeed

Author: intelearts from the big screen
18 January 2013

This has real charm, motivation, comedy, and a superb Henry Winkler and Selma Hayek - and a very good Bas Rutten as the coach who will be getting a ton of work based on this - all in all this is a surprise from beginning to end - and James finally seems to have learnt to rein it in and learnt that OTT all the time is just deadening.

So, a confession - Mall Cop, not my favorite movie, just OK, the one at the zoo, definitely not my thing (or my kids), so I had very low expectations indeed going in to see Boom - but what a difference! The plot is simple: loser teacher seeks to raise school funds by becoming a MMA fighter. And it works. The surprise is how inspirational this is - the school aspect is a really smart move - and totally lifts the movie.

If you want a pizza movie you could do much much worse, this is a well-made, well-judged, and fun movie. One strongly suspects that James found a character he could totally connect with and it gives him what he does best - heart.

Chaster (Charice Fan) Review of the movie

Author: laserdiscguy from United States
5 October 2012

A Chasters Experience - from a Charice fan perspective

Before anything else, Be warned, Spoilers Ahead!

I've been a fan of Kevin James movie in the past. I've loved him it Hitch and my favorite was Mall cop. HE's the lovable chunky guy. The average guy we know that we all can relate too.. In this movie, Kevin James pretty much played it straight. HE had a lot of funny lines and scenes but he played it straight which was a good move because it made it seem funnier. The comedy was provided by mostly Bas Ruten and Henry Winkler. I give props to those two. Henry Winkler nearly stole the show. And Bas Ruten was an MMA Fighter turned analyst/commentator and he did a great job, you don't even realize he's not an actor. He was genuine and enjoyable. Kevin James did not play this role for laughs, he made his character believable. The fight scenes and moves were all believable. Having recognized some of the actual MMA fighters, there's even an inside joke that most movie viewers wont catch.( I.E> Chael Sonnen Tapping out lol)

Now let's get to Charice. Hold on to your horses as Charice appears close to the very first real scene of the movie.

WE all know by now that she plays Malia , a Filipino student. But I want to give props to Kevin James here for changing this role originally written for a Vietnamese student to being Filipino. I can see why it could be more believable as Vietnamese. But Having Charice play Malia,named after Kevin James real life Filipina wife is a tribute to Filipinos. Charice role is a source of pride for Pinoys. Her character is the embodiment of the Pinoy ideal of studious, talented, smart Filipino that Pinoys would want in their daughters. She's so smart, even her own biology teacher thinks she's smarter than HIM!

She plays a musical genius in the music room too, she can sing, she can play the piano. What else can we ask on how to portray a Filipino.

Now Charice has lots of scenes interspersed throughout the movie. Kevin James and Henry Winkler and Bas Ruten dominate the scenes as well as Salma Hayek. But other than those main characters, it seems Charice has the most important character and number of scenes. She gets to do most everything here. she sings, she plays an instrument, she gets to laugh ... and she even gets to cry ... a dramatic moment. Here she is in that pivotal scene

Now her acting here is so much improved and better than she did in glee. Charice appeared in 3 Glee episodes, roughly 3 hrs, and this movie is a little over half that time but it seems she appeared twice as long than all the Glee scenes combined! I can't see a detriment or anything to pick on , things that people picked up on glee. She held her own , even, in my opinion, during the most dramatic scene of the movie . If you didn't know Charice, you would not know she never acted before in a movie. Her character is very important to the plot and storyline. Kevin James is a teacher who used to be idealistic, involved and passionate of his work. Malia makes him realize that what he says and thinks affects these kids directly and he really does influence their hopes and dreams. It helps develop his growth and transformation and reignites his passion for teaching and caring.

*BIG SPOILER HERE* The most dramatic and important scene other than a scene at Henry Winkler's house with Kevin James, is a scene where Charice goes through major problem with her life and cries. She is asked to give up Music AND school which both are very important to her. Here she shows the difficulties an immigrant Filipino in having to learn a second language and how important music and studies are for her as a Filipino. Kevin James gets hit hard when he tries to help and encourage her to pursue her dreams when she reminds him he himself said, what they learned in school didn't matter. This is very pivotal, as Kevin James realizes he makes a big impact on this kids. that him not caring is no longer an option. This is where you believe his character has made the commitment and realization, he has to change and start caring.

Charice gets to appear in more scenes specially and the big finale fight in the UFC for Kevin James. Her singing Holy Holly gave me the chills , although I wished to have seen more of her instead of Kevin James (but this is about Kevin James after all ). One of the highlights of the film which I can't wait to buy the soundtrack for a full version of the song.

All in all, this is a very enjoyable and uplifting movie. There's RomCom's (Romantic Comedy) so I would call this more of a Dramedy. There's drama with lots of comedy. I think this has a potential to be a sleeper hit and with being showing on OCT 12, it definitely has staying power to stick around till Thanksgiving weekend and even Christmas holidays.

Charice really did make Pinoys proud in this film. She showed Pinoys are studious and hard working, talented and smart, beautiful, caring and helpful. If pinoys can't be proud of her for that, I have no idea what will.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]