IMDb > Wrath of the Titans (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wrath of the Titans

Wrath of the Titans More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Wrath was no Clash, but Love those Bubo burns!

Author: hardlyhedda from Canada
4 April 2012

From my review at www.hardlyhedda.com Wrath of the Titans opened to audiences across North America this week. Although it isn't touching the Hunger Games numbers, there are still massive amounts of people drawn to Greek Mythology, lots of CG Effects and of course the ever so hunky Aussie actor Sam Worthington.

Ever since Avatar, Worthington has shown movie audiences world-wide that he is a leading man to be reckoned with. He can hold his own in the action genre (carrying both Titans movies), Sci-Fi (Avatar of course), and Drama (in The Debt he is thoughtful and sensitive with his portrayal of David) The movie opens telling us that Perseus (Worthington in all his shaggy haired glory) is raising a son and has lost his wife in his quiet little fishing town (his love interest from the previous Clash of the Titans (2010) Gemma Arterton was going to return to do Wrath but scheduling conflicts prevented her from returning), but trouble is brewing in the underworld and his father Zeus (Liam Neeson) needs his help to restore order among the Gods. Peace and quiet never last long when you are a demi-god! Perseus, given no choice but to save humanity once his Father Zeus is kidnapped by his brother Ares (Édgar Ramírez) and his uncle Hades (Ralph Fiennes), sets off on an action packed crusade to save the world from the titans that are being unleashed at a dizzying rate. So the movie keeps a fairly fast and captivating pace, strong performances are always given by Neeson and Fiennes who play their larger than life god characters up to the nines. Throw in a believable love interest for Perseus (British beauty Rosamund Pike) and some comic relief by way of Perseus's demi-god cousin Agenor (Toby Kebbell) and you've got yourself a fairly entertaining movie night out! Yes there were cheesy bits of dialogue, yes there were completely implausible plot points but accepting it for what it is, a sequel to a mediocre remake at best, with the sequel not even being quite as entertaining as it's 2010 predecessor. (One of my fellow movie goers pointed out that on an island with no one around why would 3 giant cyclops men take the time to shave for each other (ref: cut to close up of cyclops's face for a full stubble shot)? Speaking of stubble, the photo above shows a very life-like doll of Worthington (wonder if he owns one, that would be very Seinfeldesque-remember Mrs. Costanza's doll). If I was reviewing the doll I would have to give high marks to the sheer creepiness of its realistic traits, right down to its stubble.

A highlight of Wrath for sure is the reference to Bubo, the incredibly annoying mechanical owl from the Harry Hamlin version of Clash of the Titans (1981), which incidentally was also one of the highlights of the 2010 version when they referenced that little menace.

The 3D was so-so, nothing compared to the 3D trailer to Prometheus, but still better than the 2010 Clash with its one sword coming at you in the middle of the movie being the only memorable 3d effect.

Run to the theatres, stroll half heartedly, wait for DVD or run away screaming? I would stroll into theatres, make it 3D, get the whole experience and don't expect too much, just sit back and be entertained mildly, because that is what Wrath of the Titans is going to do for you.

Simple plot but nice visual effects

Author: kostas167 from Greece
4 April 2012

----------------SPOILER ALERT--IT CONTAINS SCENARIO INFORMATION ----------------------------- PLOT: A decade after the kraken was defeated , Perseus(Sam Worthington) is called to arms once again in order to rescue Zeus( Liam Nelson),who is imprisoned in the underworld.

Wrath of the Titans was a lower-expectation film than its predecessor Clash of Titans.The producers made clearly that it was not gonna be epic like the first movie(which failed). i think that is the reason why it is a little bit better film than its predecessor, because no one expected much from it.Indeed its harder for a movie to let you down , if you go to the theater with low expectations.

Starting with the visual effects ,i think that they were slightly better than its predecessor.The fighting scenes had great visual effects( The fight with the Chimera was thrilling and so was the fight with the Cyclops. Also the environment (underworld etc) was very good filmed too.Its 3D was generally good ,but the effects were too few (only some rocks falling down and some smokes). Although i would like to see more effects ,i must admit that watching Wrath of Titans in 3D was a pleasant experience.

The weak part of the film though was its scenario. It was way too simple, linear ,almost childish. The characters were way too simple, with no deb th at all,no vices and virtues,nothing.The acting was generally good,but with no scenario and character deb th you couldn't get thrilled of them. The whole movie was action-battle oriented and nothing more. Also it had a lot of inaccuracies like (SPOILER ALERT ) MINOTAUR in the underworld (why would it be there? it was supposed to be in Minoan Labyrinth). Also there was unrealistic. THere was a scene in which (SPOILER ALERT) Perseus gets inside the burning Kronos and when he comes out he doesn't get a single burn, while Zeus(who was a god after all) was killed from a single lava burst . I have to remind that a beast made of lava would have had like 10.000 c heat inside him.

To conclude, the film was a decent 3D ,had nice fighting scenes but it had no scenario at all. It is good for childs to watch, or for an adult who can afford time and money to see something simple and relaxing. Don't watch this film if you are interested in acting and scenario more than the visual effects.

best IMAX 3D movie OK for the kids better than the first

Author: jaemiewaters from United States
2 April 2012

wrath of the titans is much better than clash of the titans this is the coolest IMAX 3D movie ever i think you will enjoy this amazing movie it i hope you enjoy this Sold Out movie if you like action movies than you will enjoy this wonderful IMAX 3D it is a guy film but it is a great movie but you may want to get your tickets advanced because it was almost Sold Out when i went it is a outstanding movie i think you will enjoy this movie it is a eye popping movie in 3D it is a smash hit it is a super film i give it a two thumbs up and 4 out of 4 stars for sure that is how good this movie is i never saw a movie this good before in my life i hope you enjoy this big hit it is one cool movie and it is OK for the kids i enjoy this movie a lot and i hope you enjoy it to

butchered mythology and nonsensical dribble

Author: Peter Fox from UK
17 October 2012

watching Wrath of the Titans; good grief how pointless and dull - 'we're humans and we have hope in the face of hopelessness' really? well then I think its time to start stacking chairs on tables and sweeping the shop floor 'cause we're all doomed if fate's left in hands like yours.

I sigh and place my face in palm; good solid Greek mythology butchered for the sake of making painfully tedious pap.

as with the previous film, it lacks charm, drama and any engagement with the audience. What is the point of telling a story of impending doom if you don't care if the entire human race is wiped from the face of the planet. in this instance they're so whiny I think it would benefit everyone if they were extinguished.

A dumb action film that doesn't know it's a dumb action film...

Author: Kingston Hawke from Miami Beach, FL, USA
27 September 2012

Keep in mind that I'm rating this movie based on my expectations for it, which weren't very high. And that as a HUGE fan of Greek mythology, and a somewhat fan of the first movie, I really wanted to like this movie. Anyway, here goes, the good, the bad, and MY conclusion.

The Good:

1. The CG! Most of the time and money was spent on this department, and it shows!

2. There were a few funny lines.

3. A lot of action (almost too much actually).

The Bad: (this list could be really long if I wanted, so I'll just stick to the big things)

1. This movie feels so rushed!!! They don't set up ANYTHING. It's impossible to care for ANY of the characters. The make the monsters so vast, but then they all get defeated so quickly. Even the ONE titan in a movie called Wrath of the Titans get's defeated in like 2 minutes time.

2. Greek mythology in general get's butchered!!! The ways in which they depict the Gods are ridiculous. Zeus, you know that guy who overthrew his father, banished his brother, and snuck in your mom's bed impregnated her and then left without looking back. Oh yeah, he's basically Taylor Swift in this movie. Way too much "I forgive you too" in this movie.

3. No consistency. Hades hates Zeus, and intends to destroy the whole world because of that hate, but then Zeus apologized, and now he's over it just like that. Perseus is weak enough in one battle that he takes a crazy gash from being drug in the back, and in another battle A GOD stomps his head repeatedly, and he get's cut slightly in his hair somewhere. There are so many instances it became really tough to ignore.

4. EVERYTHING in this movie is just there to push the plot along. Things like Gods being powered by prayers, Gods who can only locate you when you pray to them, Andromeda having an army (someone has to die I guess), a friendly comedic thief sidekick (that's only been done a million times), ugh... I'm done I can't even finish this review.

My conclusion is that this movie sucks tremendously. I was gonna rate it 4 stars because of the CG alone, and the few funny lines. But that just doesn't sound justifiable. There is just soooo much wrong with this movie. They tried to do too much, and spent all the money on the wrong things. This is no Troy, no Immortals, no Centurion... the action isn't that great, the storyline is miserable, and for a movie so big, it feels so small like they spent all their money on CG instead of sets.

Only watch this movie if it comes out on Netflix and you're just looking for something simple to kill some time. Otherwise you will be very disappointed.

Wow. Just...Wow

Author: reeseslightning from United States
27 June 2012

This was really bad. I didn't want it to be because I enjoyed Clash of the Titans and thought the sequel, though unneeded, could be interesting.

This was a pretty weak movie. The editing is pretty horrible as it jumps from one scene with one group of characters with no segue and then jumps back in only to show us that they are somewhere else in their conversation (or in some cases, another place). The dialogue was horrendous and full of every cliché word in the book. The action scenes were short and oddly placed.

The worst part was Andromeda. In my opinion, Andromeda served her purpose in the first movie. To bring her back as a warrior princess who yells commands was embarrassing to watch. I couldn't take Rosamund Pike seriously in the role as she tried too hard to be both tough as a leader but soft enough to be Perseus's love interest - something Gemma Arteton did effortlessly as Io.

All in all, it was a typical sequel that tried to outdo the first (which was a remake to boot) and failed. It goes in the category of: forgotten sequels.

Not even Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes could save it. In fact, their story lines were the most confusing to me. The writers copped out of a real ending and a potentially great film by overdoing every single thing.

What a waste of time

Author: lagudafuad from Nigeria
14 June 2012

The great Zeus is kidnapped, and Perseus has to go save his father and the world from the most formidable force known to all. This may sound like something to go queue up and see, but it wasn't anywhere near good.

Plans to make a sequel to Clash of the Titans has been around from the shooting of the first film. The producers were hoping to rake in enough cash from the movie and then use that as a good lead to shoot Wrath of the Titans. Although Clash of the Titans was a waste of film reel, it still made 3 times its production cost from the box office, and therefore Wrath was done.

The only good thing in the movie was that, I did not fall asleep I give them that. The movie isn't that bad, it just wasn't worth making.

Shooting was done mostly in Europe in areas of vast land so that the scenes of destruction would have room to be done. The movie had pointless chaos all due to the script and unwarranted emotions, displayed by the actors that will keep you wandering if the director was actually watching.

The plot is as simple as what I said above, Perseus goes on rampage into the underworld to save his father Zeus and save the world from the hands of a mighty….and Ares the god of war.

Planning to thrill the movie watches with stick like acting and scenes warranty you to wonder if the director was actually sleeping during shooting, is what Warner Bros tries to pass on as a movie, I shake my head in disapproval and disappointment.

Directed by Jonathan Liebesman, a South African director who was responsible for the movie Battle: Los Angeles

Good!

Author: douras from Portugal
12 June 2012

Am i the only one here that liked this movie?? We all know that the story of wrath and clash of the titans is twisted but don't mean that we have to tear the movie a part!! Clash of the titans is a remake of the 1981 movie, but like the name says is a remake, so it was made again! Nowadays there are loads of other ways to make movies, if you like the first one better, well go ahead and watch it again, just don't hate on this! In my opinion this movie is very good, nice story, awesome effects and loads of action! The characters are all well played and with a brilliant cast! Nice following of the story, loads of monsters awesomely made, great landscapes and incredible scenarios as the first one! I recommend it and also the first one!

Oh, dear.

Author: Rachel Hyland from Geek Speak Magazine
27 April 2012

There is much that could be said here about the egregious scholarly inaccuracies with which this movie abounds. Admittedly, mythologies are, almost by definition, very, very old, and the Ancient Greek myths on which our story is somewhat based exist in many different forms, coming to us through the millennia from only a few surviving sources, all of which are inherently unreliable and invariably contradictory. Also, we're dealing with matters of lowercase-g gods here, actual personifications of nature use their great powers not for any grand purpose but merely to enhance their own prestige—and though Science Fiction has long speculated that the old pantheons may actually be based on some form of advanced life, be it alien or otherwise, there is not even a scrap of evidence to suggest that this might be the case in the realm of science fact. Therefore, to be caviling at this film for its flagrant abuses of known, though ever-speculative, legend is probably taking even my mythology-geek nitpickery a little too far.

Instead, let me tell you why it's a terrible film, all of that aside.

Just before viewing this in IMAX 3D I sat down to watch the 2010 CLASH OF THE TITANS, thereby making for myself one of the most dissatisfying movie double-bills of all time. So, having concluded the largely forgettable earlier effort mere minutes before commencing the latest installment, I was in a good position to compare and contrast the two movies, and before long I had to wonder: had anyone who worked on WRATH done the same thing? Because in the continuity stakes, nothing here makes any sense. None.

You may recall from the first movie – though I hope, for your sake, that you don't – our hero, Perseus (Sam Worthington), son of Zeus (Liam Neeson) and unwitting champion of Princess Andromeda of Argos (Alexa Davros), is forced to go head-to-head with a fearsome beast called the Kraken in order to save the city, and the woman, from the consequences of human hubris. You see, the Argosians had decided that the gods did not exist, nor deserve their worship, which has to strike one as pretty stupid in a world in which capricious beings who can control the weather and such will often show up in person to prove their cruel divinity. Zeus, outraged, allowed his resentful brother Hades (Ralph Fiennes) to go and put the fear of the gods into the people and bring them back to the fold. Perseus, meanwhile, goes on a quest, defeats assorted monsters, and along the way falls in love with the slightly-creepy Io (Gemma Aterton), who is surpassingly beautiful, brave and wise, but who is semi-immortal and has basically been stalking him since he was an infant – and who, we learn in WRATH, died after having his baby, presumably to a) make way for a new love interest and b) showcase the good sense of Gemma Aterton in not signing on for this film.

So now Perseus and kid are merrily living the life of humble fishermen when Zeus arrives and asks for his help. At some point between the last movie and this one, Perseus has become Zeus's favorite son (as opposed to someone he was prepared to kill with a Kraken; yeah, thanks, Dad), and now people everywhere have stopped believing in the gods, which means that the world is beginning to unravel. In particular, Tartarus, the prison to which Cronus and the other Titans were exiled after being overthrown by the Olympians, is growing weak, soon to allow monsters to roam the world. Turns out, of course, that Hades is helping this along, as is Ares (Édgar Ramírez), God of War, who has major Daddy Issues and a big problem with Sibling Rivalry. So, to recap: new gods losing power, old gods getting more power, humanity in crisis, and only one man can save us. He, unsurprisingly, does—with a little help from his godly family. Also, he learns to love again. The End.

Now, it could well be that there is a deeper truth to be found in here, among the over-the-top CGI, bombastic score, direful dialogue and incessant over-acting. Something about self-determination, and how the only gods that exist are those we create, or how our Creator is prepared to die for us – there really is a little something in here for everyone, whether atheist or devout, if you're prepared to search hard enough. The question is: are you? And if so, why? I mean, I am as inclined toward over-analysis of film as the next person, but any search for true meaning in either of these wretched TITANS movies is fruitless, and I intend to stop it right now.

Essentially? This movie, as little as I expected of it, delivered even less. If it weren't for the 3D, which really is very well done (unlike its predecessor's, which has become a byword for bad post-conversion), I would count this the biggest waste of my time since… well, since I saw CLASH OF THE TITANS. I will say, however, that at the very least I got a few moments of amusement out of Bill Nighy as Hephaestus, broad Yorkshire accent and all. In fact, it is in the variety of accents evident in this film that I find perhaps my only overall positive comment. Australian, Irish, several varieties from across England, plus Spanish, Italian (Poseidon, it seems) and sundry forms of American. The reason I like this is because the characters would doubtless be speaking Ancient Greek here, and so why should it matter what form their audience-friendly English takes?

Yes, that is the only thing I unreservedly liked about this film. A pretty sad indictment, isn't it?

– This review first appeared in Geek Speak Magazine

3D Special Effects Masterpiece.

Author: Jawad Chaudhry from karachi, pakistan
15 April 2012

i fail to understand why people are so critical about every single movie here..obviously this is an action movie, why look for a strong story line and Oscar winning performances. this movie had what i went looking for...superlative special effects and great 3D. it was action from start to finish, and many a times when i jumped out of my seat.

this movie has a heavy duty cast, and only helps to make the movie more poignant. Sam Worthington is a seasoned actor, and the role fit him well, Liam Neeson is and always have been a delight to watch in any role that he undertakes. i have recently seen John Carter and can say with conviction that in terms of enjoyment and visual treat, Wrath of the titans wins hands down