IMDb > Wrath of the Titans (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wrath of the Titans

Wrath of the Titans More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 26: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Chix Chat on Film review: A Titanic smack down.

Author: Emma Dinkins (emmadinkins@chixchatonfilm.com) from Texas, United States
30 March 2012

The Wrath of the Titans came with action right out the gates of Tartarus. I was a little surprised that the fun began so quickly, but it didn't last. We get this great battle as Perseus (Sam Worthington) faces the Chimera, and then we are taken to school for a Greek mythology lesson. This film does look deeper at the Gods, specifically the relationship of the top brothers. The three major Gods seen in the Clash of the Titans have returned, including Liam Neeson as Zeus. Fortunately, his role is so much more expanded this time around and not completely defined by one catch phrase. Releasing the Titans was exactly what takes place in this story and it is pretty spectacular to witness. Practically every mythical creature ever conceived in Greek mythology was on display and in some battle with Perseus. Since he pretty much lost everyone who fought beside him the last time he now teams up with some new comrades, Andromeda (Rosamund Pike) who is leading the Greek army into battle and Agenor (Toby Kebbell) who is a bit of a scoundrel. The entire film took a very somber serious tone, I kept thinking man this is dramatic. It wasn't until well into the 99 minutes running time that we get some comic relief from Hephaestus (Bill Nighy). The tone lightened up for a minute, then Ares (Edgar Ramirez) makes a really cool entrance and then into the labyrinth we go, which was absolutely stunning. I was very impressed by the special effects in this film. Aside from how realistic all the titans appeared, a few other things crossed my mind, one that I really liked and the other I considered must have been for realism. This series is the first time that I have seen Pegasus as a black beauty, which coordinated very well with how dirty everyone stayed throughout the entire film. In battle who has time for a shower before, 'action'! Good thing Perseus is a demi-god otherwise he would have never survived all the times that he was hurled into a rock or a stone pillar. This story is not plot driven, it's not character driven and with all the different accents in Greece, which were a bit distracting, but if a film could stand solely on the special effects and the realism that you would expect in the chance that you meet a Cyclops then this it that film. It was entertaining, I'm a Greek mythology fan and I give it a green light.

Better Than The First Film!!!

Author: adonis98-743-186503 from Greece
14 October 2015

I was one of the few that enjoyed Clash of the Titans but it's sequel was even better Wrath Of The Titans is bigger, badder and louder the film was directed by Jonathan Liebesman and starred Sam Worthington, Ralph Fiennes, Liam Neeson, Danny Huston, Edgar Ramirez, Bill Nighy, Toby Kebbell, Rosamund Pike. People who hated the first one will love this one more it has really great effects and awesome action scenes the acting is good and the direction of the film is also good. If you loved the first one you going to love this one also it's so much better than people might say....Overall Wrath of the Titans is a huge improvement over it's predecessor and a fun movie to watch.

'Wrath of the Titans' is horrendous fantasy at its peak.

Author: Dominic LeRose from United States
16 June 2014

Greek mythology is fascinating, and has been used in entertainment for many years. In the sequel to 'Clash of the Titans' called 'Wrath of the Titans' we see Perseus in a troubled situation when he must embark on a journey to the underworld to save his father Zeus from Ares and Hades who cause trouble in the world. This film is absolute garbage. It contains terrible action sequences that are completely rushed, and a plot that is so typical and creative. Not a single actor plays there fantasized characters well at all, and what you'll get is a bunch of people in for a paycheck. The action and visual effects in this film are very typical and serve no purpose in creating an entertaining plot. Director Jonathan Liebesman does nothing unique to make the mythological stories of history come to life in any unique way. Instead he puts pointless action and cheesy dialog to make a fantasy film that is disastrous and boring. Fantasy films need creativity, entertainment, and strength to make them connect with audiences in an exciting way. Putting in fake action and direction that has been used for years to make a quick spring popcorn film just isn't the way to succeed in that category.

where were we?

Author: dragokin
30 March 2014

After the success of Clash of Titans it's been just a matter of time when the sequel would appear. Given the fact that Liam Neeson starred in it made the probability even higher. And as i've expected, in Wrath of Titans we simply see another installment of the same concept.

There is actually nothing major i might tell about the movie since it might be summed up in a couple of words: epic fantasy meets CGI. Oh, it's been based on ancient Greek myths, but this is of minor importance.

Wrath of Titans is just another movie that helps marketing agencies find the right giveaways that come with a children's meal at your local fast food chain.

Wrath of the Titans

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
1 April 2013

Well, I have to say that at least Wrath of the Titans was quick and didn't overstate its welcome. Certainly the story left me dubious: the gods have lost their mojo because the mortals on Earth have quit praying to them. No longer acknowledging the gods, in particular Zeus, weakens them to the point that they're penetrable and killable. There's an underground "prison" that contains the evil, powerful god, Kronos, the father of Zeus and Hades, who will be freed if the powers of the gods diminish. The god of war, Ares, has forged a partnership with Hades to release Kronos and have the Earth to themselves. Hades, to tell you the truth, was just miffed Zeus confined him to the prison to keep watch over fiery pops. Ares is just upset with Zeus because he was partial to half-god/half-mortal Perseus.

Ares, a god, all jealous because his father showed Perseus a bit more attention: you kind of have to be prepared for a storyline and characters that seem designed with little importance other than to service a LOT of special effects. Kronos is this "lava god" and when it is finally released from a volcano, sweeps its arms to and fro decimating the land in front of it. There are even these fighting creatures that seem to create from the lava that falls from Kronos' arms to the ground. The film has plenty of monsters like one-eyed giants, a three-headed, fire-breathing dragon with venomous saliva, and a two-horned beast that greets Perseus when he and his mates descend into the labyrinthine prison designed to keep Kronos in and others out (besides the gods who enter in easily). Poseidon and Hades (along with Ares who is basically a very powerful infantile punk) are the other popular gods who accompany Zeus to give the sequel some clout. You even actually see Zeus and Hades joining forces "to have some fun" as they try to hold Kronos in check while Perseus attempts to fly in winged horse into the heart of the major god using a certain "triple sword" made by a certain craftsman (Bill Nighy, consummate scene-stealer he is…) (Poseidon's triton, Hades' spear, and Zeus' lightning bolt) who was also responsible for the underground prison. You have Poseidon's son, a thief and vagabond who has never lived up to expectations (he's considered a disappointment), found in the prison of Andromeda (played this time by Rosamund Pike, getting to participate in a lot of action), leader of a great army hoping to fend off Ares and Kronos the best they can. Andromeda and Poseidon's son, Agenor (Toby Kebbell) will accompany Perseus (Sam Worthington) on their destination to rescue the imprisoned Zeus (attacked by Ares viciously), too weak to escape on his own, his power being drained by Kronos without Hades (Ralph Fiennes, not mining the cold-blooded villainy he can typically muster even while sleepwalking through a role) helping his brother. Ares (Edgar Ramirez) and Perseus duke it out a few times (as Andromeda and Agenor come at him with intentions of besting him and not succeeding, along with other soldiers…), with the latter often on the bad end of a good throttling. This time Perseus has a son, Helius, he aims to protect and father, but not without (no surprise here) Ares using the kid at the end to get under the skin of his brotherly rival. There just wasn't much heavy lifting intellectually going into the script; it is designed to cater to an audience who doesn't want to dwell on dialogue, narrative of any heady consequence, or multi-faceted characters. Almost from the get-go, the film has Perseus having to scurry about his seaside village hoping to find a way to kill the dragon destroying whatever is in its path. Then Zeus is captured and raped of his god powers while Hades slowly becomes guilty and sorrowful of his participation in it. Soon Hades sees the errors of his ways and tries to combat Ares who seems just as strong as his elder gods. Gods reduced to humans seemed rather odd to me; I had a hard time imagining Zeus could be so reduced. It is ultimately about a son rescuing his father and embracing a side of him he hadn't quite appreciated or admired that much before, handy when in battle with a brother who is angry and bitter, with an ax to grind. Worthington ably and athletically does as his hero role demands, playing to the special effects screen when required, occasionally moving about exteriors as needed. I guess you could look at this similar to Jurassic Park III, in that Wrath is an overproduced 90 minute popcorn movie made to excite audiences not looking to be fed intellectually.

bad script, great action

Author: trashgang from Midian
28 March 2013

They makers of Wrath have learned a lesson from my review of Clash Of The Titans (2010). Just kidding, but everybody agreed that Clash was all about the effects and a hollow script. Here we do have a bit of the same but we are two years further into flicks about the Gods and Greek mythology.

There's more action going on and there's even a spot of the red stuff to notice here and there. Due the success of Clash they add millions more here towards the CGI and story but it still doesn't work completely. I don't know what the real problem is, there's a lot of action, in that part I agree but maybe the script failed again. The acting was mediocre and again I wasn't into any of the characters. An epic movie with great action and bad script.

It's slightly better than it's predecessor. But still it's a mess with a lot of faults against the ancient Greek mythology. This is a perfect flick to watch with the family on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 4/5 Story 2,5/5 Comedy 0/5

Someone please release the Kraken on this movie

Author: buffmovie1 from United Kingdom
31 August 2012

As an older viewer (I come from the days of what I lovingly refer to as my "plastic monster" movies, Jason, Sinbad, Land That Time Forgot etc) I am constantly in awe of the advances made in visual effects nowadays, so I looked forward greatly to the Clash of the Titans remake and all in all I wasn't disappointed.It had a some memorable moments and a fine cast, though it did seem to lack the sense of magic and wonder of the original (but maybe that's just me and my Peter Pan problem) The sequel to the remake promised to be even bigger and better...so what happened there then ? Why did I find I'd lost interest in what was going on (If indeed anything was going on) very early on. Most of the actors went through their paces with a kind of "ummm, getting paid big bucks,better do something" attitude, "Big" Liam and Mr Fiennes were pretty much strolling along and I found myself not caring who was off to find what,who had to help who to defeat whoever or who lived or died or how many times they died.Even the super eye-gouging CGI had me yawning by the end...P.S. The only reason I gave this movie a rating of (2) was for the addition of Bill Nighy (I find myself glued to his every facial twitch) as for the rest..I have gotten more excited by the words buffering - buffering!

Like a purposeless, poorly written video game

Author: Movie_Muse_Reviews from IL, USA
21 August 2012

"Wrath of the Titans" really captures the spirit of its 2010 predecessor — that spirit being uninspired and underdeveloped. If the goal was not to work on improving the quality of the sequel, Warner Bros. succeeded.

While the action improves in the hands of director Jonathan Liebesman ("Battle: Los Angeles"), the sequences are still equally as contrived and shallow. New writers Dan Mazeau and David Johnson also appear to use the script of "Clash of the Titans" as a bible of some sort for constructing their film, using overly grandiose dialogue much like the first did to convey horribly obvious foreshadowing and to bash us over the head with themes relating to our hero's journey.

Even those who did enjoy the first film will find "Wrath's" story to blatantly disregard the events that preceded it. The film takes place several years after "Clash" and we find Perseus (Sam Worthington) has been raising a son he had with Io, who definitely died before giving birth to anything in the first movie. Anyway, Perseus, who the series continues to play as this annoyingly reluctant hero, has determined to live life as a fisherman and ignore his demi-god power. When Zeus (Liam Neeson) comes to Perseus and warns him the gods are losing their immortal power due to humans not praying to them anymore, Perseus tries to push it out of his mind. Then all hell breaks loose, rather literally.

Zeus is crossed and captured by his brother Hades (Ralph Fiennes) and son Ares (Edgar Ramirez). The plan is to offer him to their father, the imprisoned titan, Cronos, in exchange for assured immortality. This starts a chain reaction of monsters being unleashed from the Underworld and upon the Earth. The god Poseidon (Danny Huston) charges Perseus with traveling to the Underworld and saving Zeus, though he must arbitrarily seek out some people and things to get there.

"Wrath" essentially makes up the rules of its Greek mythological world, creating a situation in which gods are mortal yet can't seem to just obliterate each other. It's a grittier portrayal than "Clash," in which the gods wore shiny armor and came off as theatrical, but with the PG-13 rating, they comically slug each other (and humans) with their transforming weapons.

Most video games are more exciting and entertaining than "Wrath of the Titans" — and their story lines make more sense too. Although even the dialogue clearly states Perseus must go from Point A to Point B, the story creates all these intentional roadblocks that feel like obligatory stops on the way to the grand finale vs. Cronos rather than points along the journey that develop the story and especially the characters.

We meet up with Andromeda (Rosamund Pike) and Agenor (Toby Kebbell) to make things more colorful, not out of necessity. Pike is clearly above this material yet is polite enough to do everything she can to make the dialogue convincing. At one point she passionately pleas that Hephaestus (Bill Nighy) help them enter the prison Tartarus to find Zeus. It would be a nice speech in a film in which anyone cared about what was going on, or was actually convinced Hephaestus might not eventually have a change of heart.

Kebbell is meant to provide comic relief as Agenor, son of Poseidon, who is painted as a lazy liar — a Jack Sparrow-type character — yet despite plenty of warnings in the script, never turns on our hero and never appears to pursue his own interests. In terms of the humor, it works in touches here and there, but almost all the jokes in the film completely backfire, especially an awkwardly self-aware reference to Neeson's famed "Clash" line "release the kraken!"

Liebesman's on-the-ground, guerilla style works in the first major action scene in which Perseus fights a three-headed, winged take on a chimera, but it doesn't work as well in the more fantastical set pieces that follow. The CGI works well and there's interesting stuff to look at, but it's all meat and no bones. The cyclops fight scene has some great in-your-face qualities, but for some reason Liebesman is fond of really hammering that quality home by having all the monsters drooling on each other or the human characters.

Most of the battles are random, especially a scene in the labyrinth of Tartarus in which its unclear whether or not Perseus fights the Minotaur, a beast that resembles Lou Ferrigno with horns. He's dispatched quickly and the quest to find Zeus continues as if nothing happened. Again, like a video game, the fights come off like mini boss battles at best.

"Wrath of the Titans" mostly comes off as apathetic. Scenes, characters and sequences are rolled in and out without any concern for being convincing, yet the dialogue is written as if all of it has in fact been convincing. In its defense, "Wrath" is a quick and painless exercise, but even its most basic entertainment value can't overcome its absolute purposelessness.

~Steven C

Thanks for reading! Check out moviemusereviews.com

Wrath of One Titan

Author: Matra Mellark from Australia
18 August 2012

I really wanted to like - and even loved this movie, because I love Greek Mythology and the whole cast. But unfortunately I didn't and came away unsatisfied.

My first problem I had with the movie were the fight scenes. They were awfully written. So poor. Please watch it and evaluate it yourselves. If you find no error, skip to the end fight. You expect it to be a phenomenal bomb-boozzul, but Percy just goes into Kronos' spine and evaporates things. Okay? Umm.

Secondly, like I said, I am a Greek Mythology geek! I really loved the casting and the portrayal of Zeus, Hades & Ares to be honest. That was good! But - I was appalled by the way they portrayed Hephaestus. I just couldn't imagine him being like that! And his lines were so clumsy and awful, which made it even worst for me to watch.

The Mythology involved was lacking a lot. They left out 85% of the Olympians and made them go cleaning Mt. Olympus or on a holiday in Hawaii or something. I couldn't, wouldn't, won't imagine Athena, Artemis, Apollo, or Hera (mainly) to go slip away and hide while the Titans return. I mean, Athena is the Goddess of War. She's Ares' counterpart and equal and obviously, he didn't shy away. The monsters that 'returned' was a Chimera who looked like a rag-doll and those weird fighting creatures that looked like they were from God of War. (Not a bad thing, but they were the only two.) The Minotaur doesn't count. It/He just came out of nowhere and died a minute later. Most randomest thing ever.

So, the movie lacked quite a lot. The only good things were the special effects! They were good. But it didn't add up at all. It was like the directors/writers and everyone else involved, wanted to create the movie for the sake of having special effects.

4/10. Someone needs to change the director/writer/screen-players/producers but keep the cast and the special-effect crew.

Actually a better film than the original...

Author: JoeB131 from United States
25 July 2012

but that's a "leper with the most fingers" kind of praise.

So we pick up with Perseus left off, where his apparently immortal girlfriend died of "not wanting to be in the stupid sequel" disease. Meanwhile, he does hook up with the princess he had absolutely no interest in during the first movie, so there's that. (I really thought this was the biggest problem with the first film, if the hero doesn't care if the princess gets eaten by the monster, why should we?)

So the Gods have been betrayed and Kronos is about about escape from Taterus, and that would generally be a bad thing. And we get long sequences of CGI goodness with Liam what's his name calling it in. And it's usually a bad sign for your movie when you are checking your watch wondering how long the CGI sequence you don't care about is going to continue.