IMDb > Wrath of the Titans (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wrath of the Titans

Wrath of the Titans More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A titan of a headache

Author: Samiam3 from Canada
15 June 2012

Sure it's rather more visually spectacular than Clash of the Titans, and Sam Worthington's performance feels less monotonous, but Wrath of the Titans is a step down in all other categories, and it has the potential to provoke headache.

It seems like the producers have misinterpreted what it was that made the critically panned Clash of the Titans so 'troubled' (to put it mildly). Subsequently, the bulk of its mistakes have not been corrected here, in fact some of them have gotten worse. If Clash of the Titans seemed dumb, you might find the sheer absurdity of this sequel, with its hokey applications of Greek mythology, to be almost unholy.

Worthington was one of the worst things about Clash of the Titans. Arguably one of the most lifeless performances of that year, he has since grown a bit as an actor (a bit). For his second time as Perseus, there seems to be a little bit more merit in him, although the character remains pretty paper thin. Once again, Perseus has little to do but run, ride Pegasus and fight. I have a feeling that we see more of Worthington's stunt man in the movie than we do of Worthington himself.

Director Jonahan Liebesman keeps the audience in their seat by ramping up the spectacle, and to some degree, his efforts are impressive. There are times when Wrath of the Titans looks as daunting and mesmerizing as anything in the fantasy genre, but unfortunately it's also very noisy.

After an expository first fifteen minutes, Wrath of the Titans turns into an over rushed parade of loud action sequences, accompanied by titanic clouds of dust, painfully cheesy dialogue (with lines like "let's have some fun") and confused character motivation.

Yes, there will be people out there who will be entertained by the relentlessness of Wrath of the Titans, but it was too much noise for me.

Just ninety minutes of massive CGI monsters and "epic" battles.

Author: CinemaCocoa from United Kingdom
4 May 2012

The old gods, Zeus and Hades find their powers and influence waning as mortals cease their prayers, and in a desperate act Hades opens the Underworld prison of Tartarus, freeing the titans and their ancient father Kronos. Now every immortal and demigod must choose a side, and Perseus must fight for the mortal life he chose. All this talk of titans being released might remind you of last years Immortals, and there are plenty of similarities (except for Mikey Rourke in a silly hat) only Wrath feels slightly more in keeping with the mythology. Slightly. I was a little saddened how the titans themselves were still underdeveloped or non-existent, the promotional images for Wrath suggested more diversity between them, yet most focus was given to the colossal Kronos battle. Cinematography used that irritating shaky camera once more, making the Minotaur fight a particularly lukewarm experience! The story's surprise focus on Perseus' brother Ares, yes, the God of War, was gratifying and hammered home (no pun intended) the concept of mortal prayers empowering and weakening certain gods. It almost felt like there was underlying subtext at this point!

I could have used twenty minutes more though, to solidify some of the characters further and make it less like one long action sequence. Watching it beside Clash of the Titans might improve this however.

It's not that bad.

Author: arginnon from Budapest, Hungary
4 May 2012

One other thing changed along with the hair of our beloved demigod, Perseus, and that is the composer. Clash of the Titans had a godly soundtrack by Ramin Djawadi, but Wrath, instead of the heavenly horns and "vunderful" violins of the Olympus, utilized the gruesome guitars and killer keyboards of the Tartarus, making a barely bearable background noise for the fight scenes. A film score needs to stand on its own! It's awesome if it can support the scenes in the film, that's what the primary function is, but if no-one wants to listen to it after watching the movie, then it's no good. Just take Star Wars for example.

Clash had a great track by Ramin Djawadi. It had everything: heroic themes, suspense, action and emotions. The filmmakers should've just re-used the score of the first film, if not re- hiring Djawadi. I even found myself playing the old soundtrack in my head over the constant pumping of the beat and it would've worked so much better. Anyway, the movie was fun. Nothing much, entertaining, action packed and a great spectacle. The story and the script weren't very strong, though I didn't expect them to be any good. I saw Clash of the Titans, ya know.

The best thing in Wrath of the Titans didn't last long. I'm talking about Bill Nighy. Him as Hephaistos and the way he performed his role was a delight. Nighy is one amazing actor, godly in every bit (especially in this particular picture), with his entertaining acting and that distinctive way of speech. It was just kinda sad he didn't have bigger role in this movie.

I might be one in a million, but I liked Clash too and I gotta say, in some aspects, Wrath was even better. I don't say that these movies are anything extraordinary, because they're not, but they offer some good entertainment.

Wrath if Worthy!

Author: Mike Munky Coatez from Melbourne, Australia
1 May 2012

As good as the original..

The film though, is far from being a great!

It keeps a good pace with impressive scenes, like the Maze and waiting in the forest for the enemy.

Liam is as powerful as his character and performance as usual.

Voldemort is back to his sinister best..

Our Aussie (well, British born) plays the lead as he should..

My only complaint yet again is only "1" Titan appears like the first movie. They really need to drop the letter "s" in the films.

But still go see it.. I saw in 2D (don't 3D it!)

A massive improvement from it's predecessor!

Author: Anurag-Shetty from India
19 April 2012

Wrath of the Titans continues with the adventures of Demigod & son of Zeus(Liam Neeson), Perseus(Sam Worthington). Following the events of the first movie, Perseus wants to live the quiet & carefree life of a fisherman along with his son. However, Zeus warns him that his brother Hades(Ralph Fiennes), wants to unleash the ancient Titans upon the world. After Zeus is dragged into the underworld by Hades & a traitor it's Perseus' job to save his father & stop the terror of the treacherous Titans. This is the summary of the movie.

A note on the story & the 3D effects. A humongous improvement for the better from Clash of the Titans(2010). You can actually feel the 3D in this one when all the mythical creatures(Cyclops & the likes) come menacingly close to you. The first one though was poorly converted to the 3D format. It was 3D just for the sake of being 3D. Not the case with this one though. Kudos! A note on the performances. Sam Worthington is impressive as Perseus. Liam Neeson & Ralph Fiennes are both brilliant as Zeus & Hades respectively. Edgar Ramirez is menacingly good as Ares. Toby Kebbell as Agenor, Rosamund Pike as Andromeda & Bill Nighy as Hephaestus are effective as well. So, I would like to conclude by saying Wrath of the Titans is worth your time & money. Go for it, in 3D! Yup, I said it.

PS- I'd recommend that you watch the Clash of the Titans(2010) before you watch this.

Just an ordinary part 2

Author: Pat Choi from South Korea
19 April 2012

When making trilogy movie is in fashion, this part II looks just another ordinary one. It is certain that CG has been a lot improved compared with part I, but the narrative is a lot like a cliché, which is seeing how Perseus could beat the insurmountable opponents. The father of the three gods, is a head of monster. Zeus , Poseidon, and Hides fought against their father. What a brilliant idea! That is why myth is attractive.

The movie "Wrath of the Titan" is following the fundamental equation of Greek myth loyally. Overall, this part II movie is a good time-killing, well-made blockbuster.

Quite simple amazing...

Author: fmekhid from London, England
15 April 2012

I have no idea why so many people are knocking these films, maybe when the director focuses more on the origin of the characters and Greek mythology instead of what 'movie-goers' want then at least then i can understand. Honestly Clash of the Titans was a really good film, awesome acting and great CGI, Greek Mythology has A lot of really interesting and amazing things so its a wonder they can encompass it in a 2h film! If you're looking for a story you have to get into to enjoy the film and really intricate character development then maybe this film isn't for you, because quite frankly the only way to describe this film is EPIC. Sometimes you just want to have a good time and be in complete awe to the scale of the action, if you get the chance watch it in IMAX!

Never listen to the critics...

Author: Jim Michaletos from Greece
12 April 2012

2 years ago, I payed 10 euros to watch Clash of the Titans. The trailers looked pretty attractive to me so I decided to try COTT out. The outcome was amazing for me, even though the majority of people didn't like it at all!

Yesterday, I watched WOTT. The movie was REALLY superb! I loved every minute! The plot is unique and very interesting while the dialogues and the visual effects were pretty cool!

A great sequel for a good movie! This film, unlike its predecessor, has more monsters, more locations and more fun! The actors perform great! Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes were really touching and created an excellent team!

Anyway, if you want an outstanding, "noisy" experience then go watch this movie! And NEVER LISTEN TO THE CRITICS! If I had, I'd have missed many great films!

"Wrath" Tops "Clash of the Titans"

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
8 April 2012

If you applauded the larger-than-life heroics in "Clash of the Titans," you'll probably embrace the derivative exploits "Wrath of the Titans" delivers in less time than the original. Greek mythology tales have never really gone out of fashion. "Wrath of the Titans" qualifies as an above-average entry in the CGI special effects laden genre where gods, men, and monsters scrimmage. Don't confuse "Wrath of the Titans" with last year's similarly themed "Immortals." Comparatively, the two PG-13 rated "Titans" spectacles are considerably less savage and sadistic than "Immortals." While "Clash of the Titans" served as an origins epic, "Wrath" concerns most of the same characters about ten years later.

In "Clash of the Titans," the infant demigod Perseus was condemned to die with his mother in a casket plunged into the sea. Miraculously, Perseus survived. A humble fisherman, Spyros (Pete Postlethwaite), rescued Perseus and adopted him. As he grew up, Perseus shunned the gods until Zeus recruited him to save the city of Argos. Hades, the cruel god of the Tartarus, loosened the legendary sea monster the Kraken with Zeus' blessing to destroy the city of Argo if the citizens didn't sacrifice Andromeda. Defiantly, Perseus and several Argos soldiers embarked on a quest for anything which would enable them to kill the Kraken. Ultimately, our resourceful hero tangled with the malevolent Medusa. Half-woman and half-snake, this deadly dame had scores of vipers sprouting from her head rather than curls. A mere glance at Medusa's face would petrify any mortal. Ingeniously, Perseus found a way to decapitate Medusa without eyeballing her. Perseus saved Princess Andromeda from a fate worse than death and defeated the enormous creature with Medusa's head.

"Battle Los Angeles" director Jonathan Liebesman's "Wrath of the Titans" emerges as a polished but predictable fantasy that imitates its predecessor. Everybody who made "Clash" doesn't show up for "Wrath." Happily, Sam Worthington returns as Zeus' rebellious son Perseus who wants little to do with his all-powerful patriarch. Instead of a boot camp cut, Perseus has a perm that makes him look like Gordon Scott of "Goliath" fame. Perseus prefers to fish on the seas instead of parade around Mount Olympus. Despite the tragic death of his wife Io (Gemma Arterton) in "Clash of the Titans," Perseus has a son, ten-year old Helius (John Bell of "Battleship"), to raise alone. Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes, and Danny Huston reappear respectively as Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon. Rosamund Pike replaces Alexa Davalos as Andromeda. This time around Andromeda is more pugnacious. Decked out in combat regalia, she leads her army into battle against the Titans. The biggest difference now is that the gods are losing their power because humans aren't praying to them. Places of worship lay in ruins. When humanity doesn't offer prayers to the gods, the power of gods wane, and "Wrath of the Titans" marks a turning point in the franchise.

If the third entry in the "Titans" movie franchise—"Revenge of the Titans"--materializes, Zeus and company may appear only as memories. Presumably, Hades won't be able to summon another colossal beast from the bowels of the Underworld. Like its predecessor, "Wrath of the Titans" concerns fathers and sons as well as brother versus brother. We learn that Zeus and company endured quite a family feud that ended with them imprisoning their evil father Kronos in Tartarus. Essentially, Kronos constitutes the equivalent of the Kraken. Since all blockbusters try to top each other, "Wrath of the Titans" pits Perseus against Kronos. Kronos doesn't want to demolish a single city, but wipe out mankind. Whereas the Kraken was a giant sea beast, Kronos is a towering fire god. Basically, Kronos is a volcano come to life as a monster. Greek mythology, like most mythologies, tried to make sense out of the mysteries of nature. Scenarists Dan Mazeau, David Leslie Johnson, and Greg Berlanti make Kronos the equivalent of a lava-spewing volcano. A Kraken is a pretty formidable creature, but a glance at Kronos is enough to make you change your underwear, ancient or contemporary, a couple of times. Imagine what Hellboy would look like if he were the size of Optimus Prime from the "Transformers" movies and you'll have a good idea about how this fiend stacks up to our ordinary mortals.

Perseus sets out with Poseidon's illegitimate offspring Agenor (Toby Kebbell of "RocknRolla") and Queen Andromeda (Pike) to save the world. Meanwhile, Hades double-crosses Zeus and imprisons him with the help of Ares (Édgar Ramírez of "Domino" in the Underworld. Our heroes embark on a scavenger hunt for items. Along the way, they confront the Cyclops and take a beating until they befriend them. Agenor helps Perseu find the fallen god Hephaestus (Bill Nighy of "Underworld") and he shows them the best what to enter Tartarus since he designed it. Eventually, Perseus learns that he must synthesize Zeus' Thunderbolt, Hades' Pitchfork, and Poseidon's Trident as a weapon to defeat Kronos. In "Star Wars" fashion, our protagonist must ride Pegasus down Kronos' gullet to dispense the fatal blow.

"Wrath of the Titans" is hokum of a high order. The special efforts are stupendous. Perseus cuts his teeth on the Chimera, a two-headed, airborne beast with a multi-fanged snake head on its tale, and then tackles a couple of lead-footed Cyclops. The maze that Perseus blunders through is more interesting than the Minotaur that he dehorns. Liebesman does a good job of staging these battles and never lets the pace lag. Perseus looks pretty woebegone by the time he delivers the death blow to his adversary. "Wrath of the Titans" is marginally better than "Clash of the Titans."

fun popcorn movie

Author: pepe4u22 from Canada
8 April 2012

went to this movie and had a good time. the movie takes place years after persesus has slain the kracken and after the death of his wife as he struggles to raise his son as a single parent. well of course there is a visit from his father zeus foretelling of a loss in faith of the gods and how evil in the form of kronos rising from there the movie takes off and it wonderfully entertaining. The movie has a fine pacing and the characters are quite good with wonderful turns by Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes and as for the lead Sam Worthington does an acceptable job though he does have very limited range. The movie goes on another voyage to mythical place and meets mystical people like the cyclops and the world of hades and that is part of the appeal of these movies but only problem was Perseus's hair way too modern but that is just nitpicking. Enjoy the movie and eat your popcorn.