IMDb > Wrath of the Titans (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wrath of the Titans

Wrath of the Titans More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

bad script, great action

Author: trashgang from Midian
28 March 2013

They makers of Wrath have learned a lesson from my review of Clash Of The Titans (2010). Just kidding, but everybody agreed that Clash was all about the effects and a hollow script. Here we do have a bit of the same but we are two years further into flicks about the Gods and Greek mythology.

There's more action going on and there's even a spot of the red stuff to notice here and there. Due the success of Clash they add millions more here towards the CGI and story but it still doesn't work completely. I don't know what the real problem is, there's a lot of action, in that part I agree but maybe the script failed again. The acting was mediocre and again I wasn't into any of the characters. An epic movie with great action and bad script.

It's slightly better than it's predecessor. But still it's a mess with a lot of faults against the ancient Greek mythology. This is a perfect flick to watch with the family on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 4/5 Story 2,5/5 Comedy 0/5

Like a purposeless, poorly written video game

Author: Movie_Muse_Reviews from IL, USA
21 August 2012

"Wrath of the Titans" really captures the spirit of its 2010 predecessor — that spirit being uninspired and underdeveloped. If the goal was not to work on improving the quality of the sequel, Warner Bros. succeeded.

While the action improves in the hands of director Jonathan Liebesman ("Battle: Los Angeles"), the sequences are still equally as contrived and shallow. New writers Dan Mazeau and David Johnson also appear to use the script of "Clash of the Titans" as a bible of some sort for constructing their film, using overly grandiose dialogue much like the first did to convey horribly obvious foreshadowing and to bash us over the head with themes relating to our hero's journey.

Even those who did enjoy the first film will find "Wrath's" story to blatantly disregard the events that preceded it. The film takes place several years after "Clash" and we find Perseus (Sam Worthington) has been raising a son he had with Io, who definitely died before giving birth to anything in the first movie. Anyway, Perseus, who the series continues to play as this annoyingly reluctant hero, has determined to live life as a fisherman and ignore his demi-god power. When Zeus (Liam Neeson) comes to Perseus and warns him the gods are losing their immortal power due to humans not praying to them anymore, Perseus tries to push it out of his mind. Then all hell breaks loose, rather literally.

Zeus is crossed and captured by his brother Hades (Ralph Fiennes) and son Ares (Edgar Ramirez). The plan is to offer him to their father, the imprisoned titan, Cronos, in exchange for assured immortality. This starts a chain reaction of monsters being unleashed from the Underworld and upon the Earth. The god Poseidon (Danny Huston) charges Perseus with traveling to the Underworld and saving Zeus, though he must arbitrarily seek out some people and things to get there.

"Wrath" essentially makes up the rules of its Greek mythological world, creating a situation in which gods are mortal yet can't seem to just obliterate each other. It's a grittier portrayal than "Clash," in which the gods wore shiny armor and came off as theatrical, but with the PG-13 rating, they comically slug each other (and humans) with their transforming weapons.

Most video games are more exciting and entertaining than "Wrath of the Titans" — and their story lines make more sense too. Although even the dialogue clearly states Perseus must go from Point A to Point B, the story creates all these intentional roadblocks that feel like obligatory stops on the way to the grand finale vs. Cronos rather than points along the journey that develop the story and especially the characters.

We meet up with Andromeda (Rosamund Pike) and Agenor (Toby Kebbell) to make things more colorful, not out of necessity. Pike is clearly above this material yet is polite enough to do everything she can to make the dialogue convincing. At one point she passionately pleas that Hephaestus (Bill Nighy) help them enter the prison Tartarus to find Zeus. It would be a nice speech in a film in which anyone cared about what was going on, or was actually convinced Hephaestus might not eventually have a change of heart.

Kebbell is meant to provide comic relief as Agenor, son of Poseidon, who is painted as a lazy liar — a Jack Sparrow-type character — yet despite plenty of warnings in the script, never turns on our hero and never appears to pursue his own interests. In terms of the humor, it works in touches here and there, but almost all the jokes in the film completely backfire, especially an awkwardly self-aware reference to Neeson's famed "Clash" line "release the kraken!"

Liebesman's on-the-ground, guerilla style works in the first major action scene in which Perseus fights a three-headed, winged take on a chimera, but it doesn't work as well in the more fantastical set pieces that follow. The CGI works well and there's interesting stuff to look at, but it's all meat and no bones. The cyclops fight scene has some great in-your-face qualities, but for some reason Liebesman is fond of really hammering that quality home by having all the monsters drooling on each other or the human characters.

Most of the battles are random, especially a scene in the labyrinth of Tartarus in which its unclear whether or not Perseus fights the Minotaur, a beast that resembles Lou Ferrigno with horns. He's dispatched quickly and the quest to find Zeus continues as if nothing happened. Again, like a video game, the fights come off like mini boss battles at best.

"Wrath of the Titans" mostly comes off as apathetic. Scenes, characters and sequences are rolled in and out without any concern for being convincing, yet the dialogue is written as if all of it has in fact been convincing. In its defense, "Wrath" is a quick and painless exercise, but even its most basic entertainment value can't overcome its absolute purposelessness.

~Steven C

Thanks for reading! Check out moviemusereviews.com

Wrath of One Titan

Author: Matra Mellark from Australia
18 August 2012

I really wanted to like - and even loved this movie, because I love Greek Mythology and the whole cast. But unfortunately I didn't and came away unsatisfied.

My first problem I had with the movie were the fight scenes. They were awfully written. So poor. Please watch it and evaluate it yourselves. If you find no error, skip to the end fight. You expect it to be a phenomenal bomb-boozzul, but Percy just goes into Kronos' spine and evaporates things. Okay? Umm.

Secondly, like I said, I am a Greek Mythology geek! I really loved the casting and the portrayal of Zeus, Hades & Ares to be honest. That was good! But - I was appalled by the way they portrayed Hephaestus. I just couldn't imagine him being like that! And his lines were so clumsy and awful, which made it even worst for me to watch.

The Mythology involved was lacking a lot. They left out 85% of the Olympians and made them go cleaning Mt. Olympus or on a holiday in Hawaii or something. I couldn't, wouldn't, won't imagine Athena, Artemis, Apollo, or Hera (mainly) to go slip away and hide while the Titans return. I mean, Athena is the Goddess of War. She's Ares' counterpart and equal and obviously, he didn't shy away. The monsters that 'returned' was a Chimera who looked like a rag-doll and those weird fighting creatures that looked like they were from God of War. (Not a bad thing, but they were the only two.) The Minotaur doesn't count. It/He just came out of nowhere and died a minute later. Most randomest thing ever.

So, the movie lacked quite a lot. The only good things were the special effects! They were good. But it didn't add up at all. It was like the directors/writers and everyone else involved, wanted to create the movie for the sake of having special effects.

4/10. Someone needs to change the director/writer/screen-players/producers but keep the cast and the special-effect crew.

Actually a better film than the original...

Author: JoeB131 from United States
25 July 2012

but that's a "leper with the most fingers" kind of praise.

So we pick up with Perseus left off, where his apparently immortal girlfriend died of "not wanting to be in the stupid sequel" disease. Meanwhile, he does hook up with the princess he had absolutely no interest in during the first movie, so there's that. (I really thought this was the biggest problem with the first film, if the hero doesn't care if the princess gets eaten by the monster, why should we?)

So the Gods have been betrayed and Kronos is about about escape from Taterus, and that would generally be a bad thing. And we get long sequences of CGI goodness with Liam what's his name calling it in. And it's usually a bad sign for your movie when you are checking your watch wondering how long the CGI sequence you don't care about is going to continue.

A titan of a headache

Author: Samiam3 from Canada
15 June 2012

Sure it's rather more visually spectacular than Clash of the Titans, and Sam Worthington's performance feels less monotonous, but Wrath of the Titans is a step down in all other categories, and it has the potential to provoke headache.

It seems like the producers have misinterpreted what it was that made the critically panned Clash of the Titans so 'troubled' (to put it mildly). Subsequently, the bulk of its mistakes have not been corrected here, in fact some of them have gotten worse. If Clash of the Titans seemed dumb, you might find the sheer absurdity of this sequel, with its hokey applications of Greek mythology, to be almost unholy.

Worthington was one of the worst things about Clash of the Titans. Arguably one of the most lifeless performances of that year, he has since grown a bit as an actor (a bit). For his second time as Perseus, there seems to be a little bit more merit in him, although the character remains pretty paper thin. Once again, Perseus has little to do but run, ride Pegasus and fight. I have a feeling that we see more of Worthington's stunt man in the movie than we do of Worthington himself.

Director Jonahan Liebesman keeps the audience in their seat by ramping up the spectacle, and to some degree, his efforts are impressive. There are times when Wrath of the Titans looks as daunting and mesmerizing as anything in the fantasy genre, but unfortunately it's also very noisy.

After an expository first fifteen minutes, Wrath of the Titans turns into an over rushed parade of loud action sequences, accompanied by titanic clouds of dust, painfully cheesy dialogue (with lines like "let's have some fun") and confused character motivation.

Yes, there will be people out there who will be entertained by the relentlessness of Wrath of the Titans, but it was too much noise for me.

Just ninety minutes of massive CGI monsters and "epic" battles.

Author: CinemaCocoa from United Kingdom
4 May 2012

The old gods, Zeus and Hades find their powers and influence waning as mortals cease their prayers, and in a desperate act Hades opens the Underworld prison of Tartarus, freeing the titans and their ancient father Kronos. Now every immortal and demigod must choose a side, and Perseus must fight for the mortal life he chose. All this talk of titans being released might remind you of last years Immortals, and there are plenty of similarities (except for Mikey Rourke in a silly hat) only Wrath feels slightly more in keeping with the mythology. Slightly. I was a little saddened how the titans themselves were still underdeveloped or non-existent, the promotional images for Wrath suggested more diversity between them, yet most focus was given to the colossal Kronos battle. Cinematography used that irritating shaky camera once more, making the Minotaur fight a particularly lukewarm experience! The story's surprise focus on Perseus' brother Ares, yes, the God of War, was gratifying and hammered home (no pun intended) the concept of mortal prayers empowering and weakening certain gods. It almost felt like there was underlying subtext at this point!

I could have used twenty minutes more though, to solidify some of the characters further and make it less like one long action sequence. Watching it beside Clash of the Titans might improve this however.

It's not that bad.

Author: arginnon from Budapest, Hungary
4 May 2012

One other thing changed along with the hair of our beloved demigod, Perseus, and that is the composer. Clash of the Titans had a godly soundtrack by Ramin Djawadi, but Wrath, instead of the heavenly horns and "vunderful" violins of the Olympus, utilized the gruesome guitars and killer keyboards of the Tartarus, making a barely bearable background noise for the fight scenes. A film score needs to stand on its own! It's awesome if it can support the scenes in the film, that's what the primary function is, but if no-one wants to listen to it after watching the movie, then it's no good. Just take Star Wars for example.

Clash had a great track by Ramin Djawadi. It had everything: heroic themes, suspense, action and emotions. The filmmakers should've just re-used the score of the first film, if not re- hiring Djawadi. I even found myself playing the old soundtrack in my head over the constant pumping of the beat and it would've worked so much better. Anyway, the movie was fun. Nothing much, entertaining, action packed and a great spectacle. The story and the script weren't very strong, though I didn't expect them to be any good. I saw Clash of the Titans, ya know.

The best thing in Wrath of the Titans didn't last long. I'm talking about Bill Nighy. Him as Hephaistos and the way he performed his role was a delight. Nighy is one amazing actor, godly in every bit (especially in this particular picture), with his entertaining acting and that distinctive way of speech. It was just kinda sad he didn't have bigger role in this movie.

I might be one in a million, but I liked Clash too and I gotta say, in some aspects, Wrath was even better. I don't say that these movies are anything extraordinary, because they're not, but they offer some good entertainment.

Wrath if Worthy!

Author: Mike Munky Coatez from Melbourne, Australia
1 May 2012

As good as the original..

The film though, is far from being a great!

It keeps a good pace with impressive scenes, like the Maze and waiting in the forest for the enemy.

Liam is as powerful as his character and performance as usual.

Voldemort is back to his sinister best..

Our Aussie (well, British born) plays the lead as he should..

My only complaint yet again is only "1" Titan appears like the first movie. They really need to drop the letter "s" in the films.

But still go see it.. I saw in 2D (don't 3D it!)

A massive improvement from it's predecessor!

Author: Anurag-Shetty from India
19 April 2012

Wrath of the Titans continues with the adventures of Demigod & son of Zeus(Liam Neeson), Perseus(Sam Worthington). Following the events of the first movie, Perseus wants to live the quiet & carefree life of a fisherman along with his son. However, Zeus warns him that his brother Hades(Ralph Fiennes), wants to unleash the ancient Titans upon the world. After Zeus is dragged into the underworld by Hades & a traitor it's Perseus' job to save his father & stop the terror of the treacherous Titans. This is the summary of the movie.

A note on the story & the 3D effects. A humongous improvement for the better from Clash of the Titans(2010). You can actually feel the 3D in this one when all the mythical creatures(Cyclops & the likes) come menacingly close to you. The first one though was poorly converted to the 3D format. It was 3D just for the sake of being 3D. Not the case with this one though. Kudos! A note on the performances. Sam Worthington is impressive as Perseus. Liam Neeson & Ralph Fiennes are both brilliant as Zeus & Hades respectively. Edgar Ramirez is menacingly good as Ares. Toby Kebbell as Agenor, Rosamund Pike as Andromeda & Bill Nighy as Hephaestus are effective as well. So, I would like to conclude by saying Wrath of the Titans is worth your time & money. Go for it, in 3D! Yup, I said it.

PS- I'd recommend that you watch the Clash of the Titans(2010) before you watch this.

Just an ordinary part 2

Author: Pat Choi from South Korea
19 April 2012

When making trilogy movie is in fashion, this part II looks just another ordinary one. It is certain that CG has been a lot improved compared with part I, but the narrative is a lot like a cliché, which is seeing how Perseus could beat the insurmountable opponents. The father of the three gods, is a head of monster. Zeus , Poseidon, and Hides fought against their father. What a brilliant idea! That is why myth is attractive.

The movie "Wrath of the Titan" is following the fundamental equation of Greek myth loyally. Overall, this part II movie is a good time-killing, well-made blockbuster.