IMDb > Wrath of the Titans (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wrath of the Titans

Wrath of the Titans More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 26: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

How low can you go

Author: drizzetd from Haifa, Israel
17 June 2012

After i saw the first movie of the series i said to myself what was i thinking of going to see this movie, it was badly written and none of the players were good, and i still had hi hopes for Sam Worthington. I came to this movie with the knowledge that the director had learned his lesson and can only improve the scened time, but boy was i wrong. The plot first of all is even worse then before, and the effects just can't make up for the plot. Although the cast is very rich and full of well known and great actors, none can really save one of the worst films of the year if not the Melania.

I am sorry i went to see it and promise you no more.

Awful : 150M gone to ashes

Author: Paul TABET from France
10 June 2012

No spoilers ahead : this movie has everything I hate about Hollywood blockbusters, that is characters as thin as the paper I use make my cigarettes, dumb plot, horrendous CGI in almost every sequence, good actors turned bad ( Neeson going from Shindler's List to this garbage is quite a deception ), other actors that cashed 10+M whilst having no previous acting experience, terribly stupid dialog at times ( you look 10 thousand years younger )... Avoid at all costs and go for Jason and the Argonauts to see what making movies is about.

At least the first one had the Kraken that was nice... This one has nothing ! Shame on anyone involved in this.

Thinking that 150M were put in this dumb sh... whilst people are starving makes me ashamed to live in the same world as the guys who committed themselves in this project.

Only thing that makes me even more horrified is the people giving it a note between 8 and 10 and pledging for Oscars for such a piece of crap.

Wake up guys !!! Cant you see you're made to swallow crap ? Boycott any further Hollywood blockbuster crap for Christ's sake !

A Nutshell Review: Wrath of the Titans

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
29 March 2012

Once bitten, twice shy. I suppose the really bad 3D effects in the Clash of the Titans remake two years ago made me steer really clear of yet another post-production 3D conversion effort in this follow up sequel, and going by the looks of it, there isn't really much to provide that depth of field, nor effort in the way it's shot to exploit the 3D format, other than to rake in extra dollars since the 2010 version did so to have green lit this total imaginary Greek mythology scribed by Greg Berlanti, David Johnson and Dan Mazeau, who between them have written stuff like Green Lantern, Orphan, and Red Riding Hood. But one thing's for sure, gone is the direction and focus on pure action, and in comes a semblance of a stronger storyline.

The theme about fathers and sons cannot be more pronounced in Wrath of the Titans, set 10 years after the first film, that harks back to the Greek mythology origins of the splitting of powers between Zeus (Liam Neeson), Hades (Ralph Fiennes) and Poseidon (Danny Huston) when they condemn their father Cronos into the depths of Hell, and Zeus having to play Hades out by making the latter lord of the underworld. So the balance of power has remained as such, until Zeus walks into a trap as planned by Hades and Zeus' son Ares (Edgar Ramirez) the god of War because of his jealousy of Perseus (Sam Worthington), the new favoured son of Zeus. With Zeus entrapped to sap his life force and powers for Cronos, the plan is to release Cronos back into the world to destroy everything in the known universe.

The saviour is of course demi god Perseus, who now is a father to Helius (John Bell), his son with now deceased wife Io, conveniently written out because of Gemma Arterton's non participation, and to steer the romance in this fable back to between Perseus and Queen Andromeda, who's now Warrior Queen and played by Rosamund PIke. And Perseus can't save the world alone because he's only a half-god up against the might of Ares, Hades and Cronos, so he has to team up with another demi god, the son of Poseidon, Agenor (Toby Kebbell), who will lead them to Hephaestus (Bill Nighy), who holds the key to safe passage to the Underworld where Zeus is imprisoned. The quest this time, as you can see, is kept quite linear and straightforward, which makes it extremely easy to follow as the dots get connected in the most simplest of fashion, keeping in constant reminder of the theme that deals with the squabbles between family members, and fights between envious siblings.

And not only is the story kept simple, the battle scenes here were also cleanly designed without complication, unleashing new beasts yet to be seen in the Clash of the Titans film, involving ugly two-headed hounds from hell, battles with one eyed cyclops, and of course, big daddy himself who seemed more smoke and mirrors, especially since the strategy involves something that's very close to Star Wars' destruction of the Death Star. I can't fathom why there are so many complaints about the big minotaur fight unless you're watching the film really close to the screen. Some easter eggs continue from the first film, such as the presence of mechanical owl Bubo, and Pegasus having a little bit more personality though still sidelined as being nothing more than air transportation.

Sam Worthington looked like he's enjoying much of the adventures of Perseus this time round, playing the man who walked away from his new found fame as the Kraken slayer, to return once again from his life of being a simple fisherman, and taking up arms and fight to save the world against the titans in the film (collectively inclusive of the other monsters in the film). With the gods severely weakened because nobody prays to them, the role of Perseus and Agenor, for slight comic relief, may pave the door to follow up films that deal more with demi gods than those residing in Mount Olympus. Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes had a lot more to do here also in expanded roles, with the final act providing the opportunity for one last hurrah that is surprisingly moving.

Perhaps the miscast here would be Rosamund Pike's Andromeda, with the idea of a Warrior Queen being a departure from Andromeda's usual role of the damsel in distress, but this film still being more testosterone suited instead. She doesn't get to do much given her very human abilities, and is there as token romantic interest with a romance that isn't strong to begin with, coupled with a sagging mid-section that involves hallucination en route to the Underworld that got abandoned before it even begun for her character. Her troopers too in the final battle scene didn't get to do much despite much posturing for nothing, and were relegated to mere cheer leaders for the most part, grateful that someone else had stepped up to the plate and did their fighting for them instead.

Still, if compared to the rather disastrous Clash of the Titans 2 years ago, Wrath of the Titans is a leg up in terms of storytelling, and didn't have an albatross of the superbly nostalgic 1981 version hanging around its neck to be compared to. The fights also didn't get obsessed with wanting to be bigger, faster and more CG-laden, and the combination of a more focused plot and theme, with better designed battles that adhered to the mantra of keeping it simple, proved to be a winner for this follow up. Recommended for being that far out, imaginary modern take on Greek mythology that played on the what-if scenario.

Light years ahead of Clash Of The Titans

Author: Sheldon_Cooper_PHD

That was really fun!

COTT was really bad and disappointing. In WOTT, Worthington is much better (I love the guy, but he was bland in COTT, and he says so himself, very professional guy), pretty intense, loved the scenes with his son Helius, nice moments with Zeus as well, he gets his ass kicked and kicks some major ass.

Neeson is great, Fiennes is really at ease, Kebbell is good, Nighy great as usual, Ramirez great (even though critics don't seem to think the same thing).

Incredible CGI, really, Kronos, Chimera, Tartarus, great set pieces, great monsters, beautifully shot, Liebesman really has an eye for the visuals, sometimes hand-held and shaky cam is used, and it works well. The action was for me most of the time mind-blowing, especially the last third of the movie.

Story is much better, even though dialogues are weak, it's more light- hearted. The 3D (and I'm pretty much a 3D lover) is great, lots of pop out, great depth, works really well with the scenery, creatures, action scenes. There are some really bad-ass scenes throughout the movie.

All in all, a truly bad-ass, kick-ass, fun movie that will get destroyed by the critics who seem like they can't just enjoy a blockbuster for what it is.

Tougher, Grittier, than CLASH

Author: XweAponX from United States
26 September 2012

The Gods are all missing, or dying. Years have passed since Perseus lopped off Medusa's head and used it to kill The Kraken. Io is gone, finally released from her tortuous never-ending existence, and now Zeus has a Grandson, Helius (John Bell), whom Zeus Visits while asleep.

This is a dirtier, grittier, Greece compared to what we saw in Clash of The Titans. The Gods are not sparkling like they did in that film. All of the Gods are gone except for Zeus, Neptune, Hades and Ares-And Hades wants to wake up Cronus, in order to get a few more years of "immortality."

And so Zeus once more asks Perseus to help him. But Perseus still won't have much to do with his forlorn Father. Sam Worthington reprises his role of Perseus and tackles it much the same as in "Clash."

This is a Zeus who has lost everything, all he has left is Perseus. In a last ditch attempt on patching things up, Zeus and Neptune (Danny Houston) along with Ares (Edgar Ramírez) visit Hades (Ralph Fiennes) in Tartarus- Where Hades promptly injures Neptune and Kidnaps and Enslaves Zeus.

It is only after two-headed devil dogs from Hell attack Perseus' Village and endanger his son that he decides to take Ol' Pegasus up to the mountain where Gods are Worshipped, but he's too late. Neptune shows up, gives him his Trident and a name: Agenor (Toby Kebbel) who is his son and has to be found in order to find Hephaestus (Bill Nighy).

But Agenor is in Andromedas' jail. Andromeda has magically changed from Alexa Davalos to Rosamund Pike, but I could give two poops about that, both were good in the role. In fact, Andromeda has her whole army out in front of the mountain where Tartarus is. She elects to go with Perseus and Agenor to find the Missing God.

What ensues is almost the Spaghetti-Western version of a Greek God story, and there are some very cool things, Cyclopses, Minotaurs, even the great Labyrinth into Tartarus Itself. The Titan Cronus is lodged into the side of a mountain, draining Zeus' power in order to get loose so he can destroy the world.

This film, not being "pretty" like Clash was, depends more on the 'Fathers and Sons' meat of the tale, Perseus is a son of Zeus, who has a son Helius, Agenor is son of Neptune, and Ares is Perseus' Brother. The Journey to Tartarus and the Battle with Cronus is a family affair for Perseus, and he must needs ride Pegasus once more into the gaping maw of potential death.

And as this movie showed a world that was mostly collapsing dirt, volcanoes, and gods turning into Dust, the CGI aspects were rendered that way. What surprised me is how much I liked this compared to the first one, which I did like a lot. But as that movie was akin to a far away fantasy, this movie shows how it would look if Titans and Gods indeed battled on the face of the Earth.

Most satisfying was the interactions between Liam Neeson (Zeus) and Ray Fiennes (Hades) - A relationship so much like our relationships with our own brothers.

As this film had basically a "crash and burn" ending, I suppose there will be no more movies in this Milieu. So I say Farewell to this short Franchise, it lived well, and it died well.

Crash of the Titans

Author: Thatguy Withtheface
4 September 2012

This is what you get when you let bad writers, write a bad screenplay, for a sequel to a good movie, and put it in the hands of a bad director. All the good actors and special effects in the world can't save it. There's a lot I'd like to say about this, but, ah heck, there's not enough story to ruin. Here goes.

One thing I liked was they brought the equivalent of Burgess Meredith's character into this one, played awesomely by Bill Nighy, but that sadly doesn't save the rest of this mess. For the rest, they go right back to the formula that bugged me in the original, (and that I liked that they did away with for the remake) a bunch of random events that kind of mix into a main story at some point.

Opening scene, they take away the wife Perseus had at the end of the first one. They also make his motivation not that he doesn't want to be a god, or not have anything to do with the gods, but now it's that he thinks he's too human to be a god... So basically, EVERYTHING the first one does, this one turns on it's head. Basically, this should've just been its own movie, it was 100% pointless to make this a sequel. Something that really bugged me was, why not keep Perseus awesome sword from Zeus and shield from the scorpion in this one? Who would get rid of such great weapons? Aries is treated like a god even though he is only a half god like Perseus, which just makes no sense. In this one, they put the princess back into the action like in the original, which actually makes sense for this one and would be cool, if she ever actually did ANYTHING. The love interest is non-existent through the movie and then jumps out of nowhere in the last 3 minutes of the film. Where the first one had a lot of great characters and motivation in the team, and really felt like a buddy journey film, this one was just a bunch of red shirts that die off fairly quickly and are very forgettable anyway. The titans were very underwhelming, even boring. The only cool one was the first one that was on EVERY commercial and billboard. The last "Titan" moved so darn slow that I have no idea why they even had to hold it back, it would take the thing a freakin year just to move a mile. Then we get to the gods. They introduce weapons that are super important, yet were never even seen in the first one. Maybe a line or two of dialog as to why they didn't use them in the first one? They only use them on other gods? ANY bad excuse would've done! Also in the first one, the gods had freaking AWESOME war armor even though they never fought. So why in this one, where they DO fight, did their armor look like it was designed by Arnie Grape? The hardest part of watching this movie is trying to figure out which is worse, the writing, or the directing. Sequels like this should just not be made.

3D Special Effects Masterpiece.

Author: Jawad Chaudhry from karachi, pakistan
15 April 2012

i fail to understand why people are so critical about every single movie here..obviously this is an action movie, why look for a strong story line and Oscar winning performances. this movie had what i went looking for...superlative special effects and great 3D. it was action from start to finish, and many a times when i jumped out of my seat.

this movie has a heavy duty cast, and only helps to make the movie more poignant. Sam Worthington is a seasoned actor, and the role fit him well, Liam Neeson is and always have been a delight to watch in any role that he undertakes. i have recently seen John Carter and can say with conviction that in terms of enjoyment and visual treat, Wrath of the titans wins hands down

i liked it

Author: nair-niranjan7 from India
9 April 2012

i loved the movie i also liked clash of the titans because i love Greek mythology and don't know too much about it.This movie is pure entertainment and the 3d is awesome.There isn't any brain tweaking twists in the story . it's not like every single movie should be inception.this is very entertaining. you won't get bored at all .The story is good enough.the action scenes in 3d are oh so good.The humor is good too.the character agenor does a wonderful job. the director has done a good job . but i did not like his last film battle l.a .the creatures are nice and imaginative.overall a nice entertaining movie for me. if you hated clash of the titans and did not like it one bit ,you may think twice about going yo watch it just for it's action but otherwise this deserves a watch.

Nice movie with awesome action and graphics

Author: Leela Pratyush from India
7 April 2012

Nice movie with awesome action and graphics.But if some one is keen interested in story and good narration of story, then this is not the movie for those. There is no comedy, not a very good plot.But I went for this movie just for the good action and good graphics. I am more than satisfied with what is presented. Also 3D effects are very good in this movie. I like LOR and Matrix series very much and I like this series too unlike Harry Potter ,Twilight,Narnia and Transformers where only one or two parts are good and all remaining are very boring. I am waiting for Avengers eagerly.Also just to mention Hunger games movie was also good. :)

There's actually Titans in this film and they kick ass . (awsome!!!)

Author: micahbosarge from United States
29 March 2012

First let me say that this is no 300 or Lord of the Rings epic as the multiple trailers would have you believe but it definitely surpasses the first one in every way. Plot,acting,action,F/X,and 3D are all what you should expect from a popcorn movie like this the only thing that would have made it more entertaining would be blood and gore added to all the hacking and slashing that goes on or at least more decapitations and dismemberment's but then the movie would have lost millions due to limited viewing .

My review on the plot. (NO SPOILERS PRESENT) Many people including my-self complained about the paper thin plot clash of titans had so when I heard that Wrath of Titans was being directed by Jonathan Liebesman the directer of (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Beginning,and Battle:Los Angeles) I was skeptical that the plot was going to be any better because as good as Battle L.A was in the action,and F/X, the plot was almost as thin as Clash of Titans was but i,am happy to report the plot is a lot better in depth and they actually included Titans in the plot.

My review of the acting. The acting is a lot better than the first manly because of the writing and the script and I think Sam Worthington in maturing as an actor and as a result he gives a fine performance rivaling avatar,the only one i had any problem with was Rosamund Pike her performance as Andromeda the worrier princes was a bit wooden and not very believable but the rest of the cast was at their very best.

My review of the action and F/X. The action was top notch and non-stop and far better in every way than the first one the only thing missing was blood after the blows.The F/X was amazing nothing looked fake the creatures,the set pieces, every stick and stone, looked amazing perfect eye-candy can't wait to see it on bluray.

My review of the 3D. The 3D was applied in post production just like the first one so I was scared the the 3D was going to be a bust but to my surprise the 3D was good but no comparison to avatar or transformers 3 but all in all the 3D was good.It gave depth to the movie most of all in the action scenes when the cyclops popped on screen he literally popped out of the screen and that was amazing.

All in all this is a perfect movie to kick back relax with a large popcorn in one hand and a large coke in the other with your feet prop up on the seat ahead of you unless occupied and forget your problems for 99 minutes and after the movie you will fill as you can conquer the gods so i give it a 7 out of 10