IMDb > Wrath of the Titans (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wrath of the Titans

Wrath of the Titans More at IMDbPro »

Page 16 of 25: [Prev][11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [Next]

Technolo

Author: WydeOpen from United States
3 April 2012

Wrath of the Titans (review by Jonathan McMillan) Studio: Warner Bros. Run time: 99 minutes.

Plot: Perseus braves the treacherous underworld to rescue his father, Zeus, captured by his son, Ares, and brother Hades who unleash the ancient Titans upon the world..

Cast: Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson and Rosamund Pike

Rating: Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of fantasy violence and action

Bottom Line: ***

Review : I have to admit I was very apprehensive when I got the call to review the screening of this sequel to the 2010 lackluster remake. Although the first movie was somewhat entertaining, it didn't live up to the expectations of my 10 year inner-child who fell in love with the 1981 original. As a matter of fact in my review of that film I stated that remaking the cult classic was a classic example of not knowing when to quit while you're ahead.

And to top it off, in an attempt to capitalize on the success that Avatar, the producers of 2010s remake added 3D effects in post-production which made the movie a visual train wreck that was absolutely torturous to watch. However after seeing the trailer to Wrath of the Titans, my interest was piqued by the scope of the special effects and the hopes that Warner Bros. studio learned from their mistakes.

I'm very glad to say; my hopes were not dashed.

Finally, movie making technology has advanced to do justice to the stories that the Greek storytellers captured our imaginations with for thousands of years. Wrath of the Titans is 99 minutes of 3D computer generated imagery that accurately projects on screen what the world of "gods and titans" must have looked like. Rather than the original intent of the Greek myths to serve as moral parables, the plot of Wrath of the Titans serves only to show the truly awesome capabilities of what Hollywood technology can do now-a-days. The cinematography renders astonishing beautiful landscapes upon which two- headed fire spewing monsters and the sort, wreck havoc and attempt to kill our Perseus (Sam Worthington of Avatar) and his crew.

Technically the film is about Perseus' heroes journeys to save the Olympian gods Zeus, Possiden and Hades (respectively played by super actors: Liam Neeson, Danny Huston and Ralph Fiennes) from the wrath of their mythological father the titan Cronos.

Nevermind the plot and it's stars though. The movie really is just a vehicle showcasing a world of amazingly "realistic" rendered one-eyed creatures 20 stories tall called cyclops' who attempt to smash our protagonists with towering tree trunks. A world where a half man/ half bull creature called a minotaur stalks our hero's in a bafflingly M.C,Escher-esque ever shifting labyrinth. I whole-heartedly believe scenes like these are what todays 3D technology is made for.

Unlike the 2010 movie, the audience which will enjoy this movie will be broader than (as I said in my last review) "a very specific target audience – those made of snips of snails and puppy dog tails" because the CGI and 3D special effects are so awesome that this movie is overall, very entertaining. Don't look for it on the the list of Best Picture nominees during Academy Award season, however I wouldn't be surprised if it did win some Oscars in some of the technical categories.

An unexciting sequel

Author: Pablo Lauria from Argentina
2 April 2012

When you go to see a big budget movie plenty of good actors, the less you expect is to see this awful idiotic movie. First of all, someone should tell Sam Worthington he needs to speak with neutral accent. It is not a Mad Max Sequel. Agenor character looks like a Rastafarian that escaped from a Pirate movie. Looks like this movie was made for a different kind of public than the first one. The characters are not well developed and it is impossible to feel empathy for any of them. Rosamund Pike deserves better. The rest of the cast don't deliver anything to remember. If we add that the movie doesn't worth 3D effects there is nothing left.

no. definitely not a good one.

Author: josarra_95 from Spain
2 April 2012

I can not think about any good reason to go to see this movie in a theater. The story is really poor and the characters are ridiculous and too simple, and the acting is very weak, specially Tobby Kebbell. The film doesn't put you into the action and you are one hundred minutes wondering what you will do the next weekend. The mythology is terribly documented and there are a lot of incredible mistakes. Okay, there are some cool action scenes and incredible monsters and creatures, that's why I put a 4 instead of a 1.

I saw Clash of the titans and I've seen Wrath of the titans. If there is a third one, I'm sure I will not repeat my mistake. Really, it's not worth watching.

Nope, this one actually has Titans in it! I think?

Author: Grann-Bach (Grann-Bach@jubii.dk) from Denmark
2 April 2012

Io has died off-screen, having fulfilled her role as the love interest for the first(and departing right after, as per the rules for the genre), leaving room for a romance(? right? I mean, it isn't actually present for most of this, if it is obvious that it will be there) between Andromeda(yup, that was why she wasn't the one in the first, so she'd be free to be it in this one) and Perseus, who is also left with a wimpy-looking(when doesn't he look scared?) son, Helius(there for emotional stakes and nothing else... early on, Mr. P dreams that they will both die, thus making this sequel that people are already wondering if they want to be watching a partial rip-off of Matrix Reloaded, one of the biggest follow-up letdowns in history... bad call). Humans are still not believing in the gods, and with them losing their power, Zeus is captured(his powers being drained, in order to help free Cronos), so our hero has to travel to and through the maze of Tartarus with female lead and Agenor(fellow halfdeity, son of Poseidon, starts out with personality(an obnoxious one, you think he might be the comic relief), soon after loses it, presumably to fit in with everyone else, since no one but Hades, his royal brother and the offspring of last-mentioned, Ares, have anything interesting in the way of character... actually, those three have good drama between them)), on a rescue mission. This is a thoroughly enjoyable mindless popcorn flick, well aware of what it is. There is some humor from a little of the dialog(when it isn't average and forgettable) and the role Hephaestus, played by a crazy Bill Nighy(so, nothing new there), who, as a hermit, has lost it completely. But what really works is the action, with several badass supernatural creatures, including cyclops', this two-headed firebreathing wolfthing, twin-torso swordwielding humanoid ones and this massive one made from lava. Heck, even the Olympus-dwellers get into it, and they are clearly far more powerful than the men. With only one exception, they are all established, built up and get as much screen-time and awesome combat as they should. This is paced remarkably well, it's never boring nor does it overwhelm you. The 3D is excellent, used in the right moments, when it wants to be epic. There is violent and disturbing content in this. I recommend this to anyone looking for brainless fun. 7/10

Really nothing too bad.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
2 April 2012

It's normal for sequels to be inferior to its predecessors but I must say that the last couple of years sequels are only getting better and better and every so often also pass the original.

That's also the case with "Wrath of the Titans", that is a sequel to the 2010 movie "Clash of the Titans". "Clash of the Titans" had all sorts of problems in it and while "Wrath of the Titans" is far from a flawless movie, it still is an improvement over the first movie.

This movie was at least more focused with its story, which made it a more pleasant movie to follow. It's still not like I has a solid story in it and I didn't even really always knew what was going on exactly in it but it at least flows well and helps to make this movie a fun and mindless, action packed, blockbuster.

It has a bigger budget than its predecessor but yet it doesn't look bigger or more expensive, which is only a positive thing to say really. It means that this movie has less tendencies to show off with some big action set pieces or CGI created creatures. Everything that happens in this movie fits better into its story and more often than not, serves a purpose within it as well. Besides, it looks as if this movie spend more of its budget on its set designs and other visual aspects, beside its special effects.

Nevertheless, it remains still obvious that the foremost reason as to why this movie was such an expensive one to make was due to its special effects. But it all paid off! The special effects for the movie are simply great and help to make this movie often a spectacular and entertaining one.

It also still would had been so much better if it actually was a more involving movie to watch. It never gets you a true sense of excitement or tension because you don't ever feel involved enough with any of its events or characters.

I like that Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes get to do a bit more in this movie at times and don't just show up randomly every now and then, like still was the case with the first movie. They serve a more important purpose but still their roles aren't much bigger really. It's still somewhat disappointing seeing Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes in this and the movie doing far too little with those two. Especially when you have an actor such as Ralph Fiennes playing a villainous role, you should definitely exploit this as a movie and do something more and better with it.

The movie besides Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes and Sam Worthington, features mostly new characters and actors in it. And some of the actors and characters are a true welcome addition. Rosamund Pike and Bill Nighy are being the most notable ones.

Really, it's not a bad movie or one that I hated watching. I still can't rate it very highly, simply because it's just nothing too great or involving to watch either. Anyway, chances are you will probably still end up liking it more than not.

Not bad, could we whether.

Author: user-819-188940 from Ukraine
2 April 2012

Unexpected 3D. After awful 3D in Clash of the titans, 3D step to the next level. Story still save it position, that mean this was not ordinary story. if u look Wrath until u see Clash, u'll winks that this film's mark is D, but it is not bad cause previous chapter was on E. Actor game was bed, sometimes awful. Picture quality was better, directors make it for C. But it still some interesting moments in movie: -A. Nelson he make Zeus very deep character. (S.Wartington did not make it). -Zeus and Ahed duet looks very coll, it mean that was nice director's move. -Trailer in wrath did not show all movie's interesting moments. (in Wrath they take bigger place, that in Clash. -If u look this movie in pieces u'll saw that was awful, but if u look at it like complete part u'll see that it was such bad as u think.

P.S. U'll not win or lose if u watch this movie on big screen.

A light, fun fantasy adventure with awesome 3d

Author: Harkanwar Singh from India
30 March 2012

the second installment the wrath of the titans was considerably more thoughtful then clash of the titans but that doesn't mean its brainy... some 3d sequences in the movie are actually so good that i actually jumped from my seat 2-3 times so yes the 3d was the best I have ever seen and performance by liam neeson ralph fienes were good, sam worthington as usual had a emotionless, bland look on his face the whole time and rosamund poke was not impressive either.. the overall movie could been much better.. it was a bit boring in do places and climax was kind of abrupt so the question arises that is it worth going to theatre and shedding extra bucks for seeing it 3d... I'd say yes..if you wanna see alight action packed fantasy adventure then this is definitely worth the money

Good action flick with great CGI

Author: ylnot from Sacramento, CA
29 March 2012

It was better than the first movie (Clash of the Titans - 2010) but it wasn't epic like you hope befitting of the title about Greek mythological gods. Hollywood typically likes to keep their films moving along by cutting short on story depth and character development, both of which afflicted this movie. The plot is simple and follows 10 years after the conclusion of Clash of the Titans. They kept the same cast in this sequel; Of noteworthy is Perseus, the half-god, son of Zeus, and protagonist, played by Sam Worthington (Avatar and Man on a Ledge).

In sacrificing depth and char dev, the movie had a lot of action. At the heart of all the action were special effects. The CGIs were impressive and, essentially, what made the movie. A scene of fiery rocks hurling at the screen in 3D made me dodge before I caught myself. Lol The music complemented the action well and added to the visceral experience. The bass and horns were almost as loud and deep as in the movie Inception.

If you dig deeper though, you may find flaws, poor logic and mythology that isn't true to Greek mythology but rather loosely based. For example, the audience can see plenty of wrath from Kronos (Greek, Cronus), but its fury translates into little substance in the battle as he was seemingly too easily beatable. You learn that the gods' powers are dependent on human prayers. W/o prayers, their powers wane and their immortality fade into dust. So Zeus isn't the immortal and all-powerful Greek god you had envisioned reading about growing up.

In conclusion, if you can watch with an open mind and are OK with a shallow storyline, then the action and visual fx are worth the price of admission. It's a good action flick with great CGI. I give it a 6 to 6.5 out of 10.

Wrath of the Moviegoer

Author: jadepietro from United States
6 April 2012

This film is not recommended.

The Kraken has been released and is now dead and gone! But there are still other monsters afoot in this flat-footed tale called Wrath of the Titans. Loosely based on Greek mythology, Wrath of the Titans again has those irate gods and evil demons creating havoc upon us mere mortals.

To call this film a Greek tragedy would a breach of honesty, giving over to the misconception that this odyssey is an important and stirring drama of epic proportions. But it truly is a tragedy, in the sense that it wastes the talents of all the actors and filmmakers involved in this project. One can however say, in all honesty, that this film does fill one with awe, in the sense that it is awful, and that is certainly a more accurate assessment of this movie fantasy.

In this worthless sequel to the unworthy Clash of the Titans, Perseus ( Sam Worthington ), son of Zeus ( Liam Neeson ) and a mortal mom, is now a peaceful fisherman and loving father. He is called to duty to protect his godly dad from his sinister Uncle Hades ( Ralph Fiennes ) and Zeus' other son, Ares ( Edgar Ramirez ) who want to take over his kingdom and throne. Revenge and jealousy runs rampant up this genealogical family tree.

That's the basic plot with plenty of action sequences, middling special effects, and other slight of hand tricks at work. The script by committee is mediocre and dull, lacking any excitement, energy or wit. The dialog is just plain dumb. Any moviegoers' wrath should be aimed directly at the film's writers: Dan Mazeau, David Johnson, and Greg Berlanti. ( One howling example of bad dialogue: Hades says to Zeus: "You look 10,000 years younger!" )

The direction by Jonathan Liebesman is nearly non-existent as his film plods from one set piece to the next with no real pacing or rhythm. The editing is clumsy and pieced together at such a frenzied rate that it is sometimes impossible to really see the action or special effects properly. Battle scenes are awkwardly photographed and staged. The photography is dimly lit by Ben Davis with some scenes just plain ugly and seemingly out of focus, shocking inept, especially coming from a major motion picture studio and their larger budget. ( Beware the Gods, Warner Brothers! ).

None of the actors, who have all done better work elsewhere, are believable or credible in their roles, but they are all laughable in their grim serious tones and hammy theatrics. Worthington, usually a charismatic actor, is puffy and bland this time around, Neeson and Fiennes pontificate rather than speak and delivery their lines without any true sense of passion, and Ramirez looks pouty more than angry. He also talks sporadically with a thick Spanish accent that clashes with the mostly British cast, and he's not Titan either. Also on hand in this version are: Rosamund Pike as Andromeda who fills her battle armor well, Bill Nighy as a crazed Hephaestus who seems to have walked into the movie thinking he was part of a Monty Python remake, and Toby Kebbell as Agenor, son of Posideon and, perhaps, the illegitimate child of Russell Brand. So, I guess, on that issue of acting, it may have been a more difficult feat of acting given their one-dimensional characters and their hysterics. At least, they manage to keep a straight face in all this goofiness. But on second thought, the outtakes may have been more enjoyable.

A fantasy film that relies heavily on its CGI needs to make sure its creatures and make-up are top-notch if the audience is going to believe in its cinematic power. The effects here are of the hit-and-miss variety ( the good: the Chimera, the Cyclops, and the maze-like walls of Hades; the bad: Pegasus, the Minotaur, and practically everything else, especially Kronos the Lava Man ).

I know what you're thinking...It's only a kiddie fantasy adventure movie. Give it some slack! No, I can't! I will continue to fight the Battle of Banality that is being served as entertainment nowadays. My quest to rid the world of dreck like this is an on-going battle lately. ( Remember I was served heaping helpings of John Carter and Mirror, Mirror in these past weeks! What a dismal start to this movie season so far. ) Wrath of the Titans is an absolute waste of your time and hard-earned money. Avoid it like the Kraken!

As the movie tagline states or warns us: "Feel the Wrath!" Oh, on that you can be sure! How true, oh Great Zeus, how true! GRADE: C-

NOTE: Visit my movie blog for more reviews: www.dearmoviegoer.com

A sequel that doesn't quite add up

Author: olliesco from United Kingdom
5 April 2012

I thought Clash of the Titans was OK but the 3D was terrible so i had high hopes for the sequel. I am so disappointed. This film in all honesty was poor.There is not much left to be said. The story was poor i was confused at times, scenes moved very quickly, no character development just a lot of noise & FIRE! FIRE was everywhere.I guess that is not a surprise as the title poster shows this. I can see where they spent the budget. Shame because gods, Greek mythology and all that are good subjects to make a movie about. Sam Worthington slept walked through the 1 1/2 hours and Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes characters were useless.Rosemund Pike no better.