IMDb > Wrath of the Titans (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wrath of the Titans

Wrath of the Titans More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 25: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Exactly what a story as ridiculous as one involving the Greek Gods needed.

Author: Dave van der Kuyp from Netherlands
9 March 2013

I am honestly at a loss for the low rating this movie gets. And especially for the comments on it. This isn't a movie about Achilles or Hektor, or about any myth based on the actions of people… These are supposed to be Gods and Demi-gods. Monsters and demons and Titans.. The way I see this movie is as the campfire stories that soldiers would tell each other. What the people of Ancient Greece thought their Gods were up to. I wasn't expecting much, but I was expecting it to be grand. And it was grand. Not much of a story, or any depth to the characters (though I did love the Zeus and Hades thing).

Exactly what a story as ridiculous as one involving the Greek Gods needed. When Bay made Transformers all about the explosions I was mad. That is because the underlying story of The Transformers was already established and he actually chose to discard that in exchange for some fuzzy action and cheap laughs. But does anyone actually imagine a battle between Gods and Titans.. OK, one Titan… To be anything other than ridiculously, mountain destroying grand? Maybe because I saw it from the comfort of my couch and not stuck in a theater wearing 2 pairs of glasses for some bull**** 3D. But I enjoyed it. Much better than it's predecessor.

When I hear a story about a God fighting a Titan I care more about the fight, than any character history. It's like saying Shoot 'em Up is a bad movie because they didn't explain why the whore was a whore… No, I want gun-play.

Surprisingly good !!!

Author: justineamory from United States
27 February 2013

Even though the surprise wasn't as much present as the first movie ('Clash of the Titans"), "Wrath of the Titans" was a big improvement. I am not a big fan of science-fiction movies but I have to admit that I was hanged to it from the beginning towards the end. Rich in visual effects, humorous, intense musically and suspenseful… this sequel was definitely a success. I liked the way they personalized Gods and it how it helps to understand mythology better. Happening ten years after the first movie, "Wrath of the Titans" is the story of Gods being powerless because of humans not praying for them anymore. Divided, the Gods are now weak against Titans who are about to take over the world. It is then the responsibility of Perseus and his warriors to set things right. I always found Greek mythology very rich and exciting and I liked the way they treated the subject. More than just wars, monsters and visual effects, there is actual message behind it. The topic of war and religion will never be old-fashioned in my opinion. I was bluffed by the actor's performance, especially Sam Worhtington (in the role of Perseus) who I think is great and never disappointing. I really enjoyed watching this sequel and was never bored about what was happening on the screen.

Louder, bigger, more ludicrous

Author: p-stepien from United Kingdom
19 February 2013

Living the life in his self-proclaimed heroic retirement Persues (Sam Worthington) now leads the life of a simple fisherman, singlehandedly caring for his son Helius (John Bell) after the death of his wife. Despite a yearning for peace and quiet godly affairs still meddle into the lives of men. This time with potentially tragic consequences, when Hades (Ralph Fiennes) and Ares (Édgar Ramírez) aide the titanic almighty fiery Kronos from him hellish prison. To do this they capture Zeus (Liam Neeson) to draw his life-force. With dark forces already invading the surface Perseus is forced to once again take up his armour and attempt to rescue his father, accompanied by only a handful of comrades, including Andromeda (Rosamund Pike) and the goofish son of Poseidon, Agenor (Toby Kebbell).

Now detaching itself almost entirely from ancient lore, we are thrown into an epic waste of a budget into a charmless and nonsensical venture thrown the depths of Hades, featuring minotaurs, labyrinths, cyclops and other mythical creatures. Whereas the action itself brings about some inkling of satisfaction, the build-up and plot borders of humiliating. As Perseus takes on the remnants of gods (not many have been left, as most other gods have been disposed of off-screen under unknown circumstances) the significance of his journey is ever in doubt, not helped by some twisting incoherence of certain key characters with some ill-advised Shakespearesque betrayals and dramatic twists. It is somewhat cringe-worthy watching two great actors Fiennes and Nesson exchanging sentimental gibberish and donning ridiculous expressions to an attempt to convey sincerity, but they do a passable job nonetheless. It must be said that Sam Worthington gets passing grades, arguably the most convincing actor out there, but only truly hitting home when in good acting company. The worst offender here is Tony Kebbell, whose utterly useless kooky fool character is at best a tiresome distraction, at worst an outtake character from the Hercules series.

Mildly Entertaining

Author: ArthurJimbo from United States
9 February 2013

I thought the film was OK. Slightly better than par for the course in terms of movies and how they are made nowadays.

I disagree with the many reviews claiming Sam Worthington did a lousy job. I found myself rooting for him at times throughout the film. Hes not some uber handsome shallow jerk and hes actually quite small.

Audience members like to bash performances but couldn't for the life of them do it themselves. Audience members have no idea how hard performing is. Sam did just fine. So did everyone else in the film.

The acting can only be as good as the writing in the end. And this movie is very short on the writing side. I think all the actors did fine considering what they had to work with.

I recommend a watch if you got some time on your hands and its on cable.

It's about the volcanoes, stupid

Author: clweber-weber
26 January 2013

The beauty and ultimate - and perhaps only - genius of this movie is the special effects. Let yourself go. You can see how ancient people would have created these stories to explain the mind- blowing power of volcanic action. I think that experience alone makes the whole movie worthwhile.

Yes, the actors are all big names with no real dialogs or parts to portray. Yes, they seem to get their Greeks and Romans confused. Yes, it's disappointing in many ways. But in the end, there is a majesty and awesomeness of the volcanoes/ titans that cannot be ignored. In the end, this movie helps us to emotionally experience how people from thousands of years ago would have seen and interpreted geologic events. And that alone makes this movie worth watching once.

What did you expect?

Author: Parks from United Kingdom
22 December 2012

It's a sequel to a remake of a cheesy 80's sword and sandal adventure movie. We were never talking "classic" here.

What we are talking are decent special effects, lots of action, a cliché- heavy script, some fairly wooden performances and a Greek demi-god with an Aussie accent like Yahoo Serious. The plot is one of those dumb, "we have to get to the place to assemble the thing that can kill the monster" type stories. You can fill in the blanks yourself - the writers sure did.

It's actually pretty good fun. I'd rank it alongside the lesser Marvels like Fantastic Four or Thor and certainly way better than Harry Hamlin's original.

Mything the point

Author: Ric-7 from New Orleans LA
4 November 2012

I guess in the days of the gods, baths had not been invented. Perseus can live on a beach and still be dirty. I'd like to know why he didn't have a beard. Perhaps he shaves. But how? There were no electric razors back then. Yet he never shows any sign of having washed his face.

Unfortunately, this movie was so dull that I passed the time speculating why in the time of the gods, cleanliness was not next to godliness. I still could not figure out what was going on or what anyone hoped to accomplish. What's the point?

I saw this on a DVD at home, rather than in 3D in a theater, so perhaps I missed something. But I doubt it. Had I seen it in a theater, what I'd be missing (other than the point) is the extra money paid for admission.

Well done, but disappointing

Author: corsonb from France
1 October 2012

Let's get the compliments out of the way first: The acting and casting (minus the leads) was high quality as was the direction.

Now for the important stuff... the writers should be shot. They never read the classics (or never understood them, which is more likely) and just put an action sequel on the page with no thought to the source material (which, to it's credit, the "first" ...and the remake... films tried to do).

The casting for the first roles was horrible (the work/acting was very well done, and it wasn't Sam Worthington's fault because he is an excellent actor who is "up and coming", but the Australian accent was often incomprehensible and, of course, unbelievable in his role.) I feel so, so, sorry for all of the great actors who did so well but who (clearly) needed to make a few dollars by doing this piece of c*** script.

For those who know something of Greek mythology (the minority), this film may be amusing. I hope the viewers will realize that. (But that's unlikely...)

Nevertheless... kudos to Jonathan Liebesman for turning a garbage script into an interesting and entertaining stand-alone action film that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Greek mythology.

A better effort on the second try.

Author: lewiskendell from United States
1 October 2012

I was thoroughly disappointed with the Clash of the Titans remake. It was a dull, uninteresting slog of endlessly plodding action scenes and tons of unmemorable CG effects being thrown at the viewer from every angle as a poor substitute for excitement.

Thankfully, Wrath of the Titans manages to be a better movie than Clash in nearly every area. The story is basic but serviceable, with the father of the gods threatening to escape his prison and take out his vengeance on the earth. The gods themselves, weakened by lack of worship and divided by old conflicts, are powerless to face the danger. It falls to Perseus (Sam Worthington) and a small band or warriors to set things right.

The major improvement Wrath makes is that the action scenes and set pieces are much more exciting this time around. Whether chimera attack or the shifting, crushing walls of a labyrinth and the dangerous beast inside, I was never bored by what was happening on the screen. At the very least, this is a watchable fantasy action flick, which puts it above the first film. Greek mythology is so rich and dense that so much more could be done with the gods, monster and locales that Wrath of the Titans mines for material. Even as flawed as Immortals was, it certainly wasn't generic, which even this improved sequel doesn't totally escape until near the end. Still, whether you enjoyed or loathe the Clash of the Titans reboot, this one is better.

Decent at best.

Author: Tristan Hinsley
9 September 2012

I thought it was decent. It felt very stereotypical and bland, and the fight scenes were over-simplified and bland. For example, when Perseus retrieves Zeus's bolt, the fight was very difficult until he caught Ares in a headlock, and it just seemed too easy after seeing how much Perseus was being beat.

The acting was fairly unconvincing, and the only actors that I think did their role well was Liam Neeson, Sam Worthington, and Ralph Fiennes. Speaking of Ralph (actor of Hades), I feel that he was way too easily swayed.

However, I don't regret seeing the movie. It was okay, but I feel that this wasn't as good as Clash of the Titans.

I would give it a 6/10.