The Dictator (2012) Poster

(2012)

316 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Unexpectedly Good
eshin5511 May 2012
I usually avoid movies I know will be explicit and include crude humor because it's just not my cup of tea. So, right off the bat I was expecting this movie to be absolutely horrible... I do not know if it was my low expectations before the screening, but I actually enjoyed this movie very much. In order to enjoy this movie, however, you do have to somewhat detach yourself from thinking too much into the wealth of racist and crude humor contained in the movie. Nevertheless, The Dictator is satire, it is a movie making fun of the real world, and if you let it be, it makes you aware (while laughing) at the racist thoughts and stereotypes ordinary people have everyday. Yes, it has its strange and explicit scenes, but overall, I think it has substance and it was very funny. Put your "Victorian" influences aside for a night and have a good laugh. Watch it.
242 out of 324 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I'm at a loss as to how to describe this movie.
Martin Tuskevicius19 May 2012
I went to see this movie with my friend. I would consider that we both have a good sense of humor and are open to all sorts of jokes. I have seen other movies by Sacha Baron Cohen, like Bruno and Borat. I found Borat to be hilarious, but Bruno was a bit over the top for me. This movie strikes a balance between the two, but leans more towards (my personally favored) Borat side.

The comedy in this movie is both hilarious and uncomfortable at times. It has the same LOL- quality as it did in Borat, but there are scenes where the comedy is so crude that it is almost uncomfortable watching/listening to it. The movie is definitely funny, but you will not enjoy it if you do not find jokes about racism and stereotypes funny.

The plot is your typical Sacha Baron Cohen plot; a person from an entirely different culture travels to America and you watch how incompatible the two cultures are. Also, just like most of Sacha Baron Cohen movies, there is a love story intertwined. It's not the dramatic and sensitive kind of love story though. The plot itself is not very immersive, and I believe that its only purpose is to lead you to the funny parts.

I will say this though, the ending speech of this movie given by 'The Dictator' really impressed me. It made me realize how well Sacha Baron Cohen understands politics and stereotypes. You have to hear it for yourself.

If you're looking for a movie with consistent but crude laugh-out-loud comedy, but do not look for a serious and powerful plot, then you will enjoy this film. On the other hand, if you cringe at racist and stereotype jokes, you will be covering your ears virtually the entire movie.

Approach with an open mind.
136 out of 185 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Typical Sacha Baron Cohen
bowmanblue3 March 2015
Ali G, Borat, Bruno. If you've seen any of them, then you probably know what to expect from Sacha Baron Cohen. Vulgar, crude, politically INcorrect are just some of the terms you could use - depending on your opinion.

Basically, if you're easily offended, you probably won't want to watch the tale of an evil Middle Eastern Dictator who finds himself lost in America amidst a plot to oust him from power.

However, there are still plenty of people who find this sort of humour funny (and I'm one of them). Personally, I didn't think it was as good as Borat or Bruno as the second half seemed a bit forced. The film lasted just under the typical hour and a half mark, but probably could have got away with being an hour long. It would probably have been a pretty funny hour - if you like that sort of thing.

The major criticisms being thrown at The Dictator is claims of racism (just like Borat and Ali G, not to mention claims of homophobia at Bruno) and whether the film mocks Middle Eastern stereotypes, or whether it actually attacks those who impose the stereotypes. The film has also come under fire for being too 'pro-Jew' too anti-American and generally too liberal. Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. It's one of those arguments where if you're looking to use this film to support or challenge your own political viewpoint or religious beliefs there are arguments for and against.

The bottom line is that it's quite funny. Quite. Not as good as Borat or Bruno, but still there are plenty of silly and vulgar (and I should emphasis the words 'silly' and 'vulgar' because they're the backbone of this film) moments to make you laugh out loud. Probably not a classic, but entertaining nonetheless.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A welcome change
Master OfAll16 May 2012
I'm a little perplexed having read a couple of user reviews - one of them said this was movie was unbelievable and unconvincing due to the fact that it had a love theme going on? huh? I suppose the film 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' is unbelievable too? In fact, how many movies are believable? 'The Dictator' is a comedy, nothing less and nothing more than that, and that was the intention. Whether it's believable or not is irrelevant. The movie had plenty of laugh out loud moments.

I'm glad this movie headed in a different direction from his previous efforts. Had the film continued in the same fashion as the reality TV way, then I don't think it would have stood any chance of working, not with this new character anyway. So to those who are expecting and hoping for something similar to Bruno and Borat you may be left a little disappointed, but for those who wouldn't mind seeing something slightly different, and can take a movie for what it is, then you should enjoy this, as I did.
152 out of 227 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent
mihkelm122 June 2012
I wish there were more comedies like that - crossing over the political correctness line, but not over the line of good taste, so as to make a movie hard to watch.

The film is quite pointy, it is for a moderate audience and will make all kinds of extremists quite unhappy. The plot is well thought out and funny. It'll nail you to the screen.

I like the unorthodox character of this film, Sacha Baron Cohen's movies are definitely one of the kind. I wouldn't consider the humor crude, but it is certainly honest. Some of the unthinkable things you see are likely to have happened in reality.
89 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Woody Allen, Peter Sellers, Sacha Baron Cohen
Br00720 May 2012
The non-stop jokes, off-color humor, slapstick and under 90 minute running time of "The Dictator" hearkens back to early Woody Allen gems like "What's Up Tiger Lily," "Take The Money and Run," "Bananas," and "Love and Death. And, in the world of comedy, that's quite a compliment.

Like Cohen, Allen's first films were often misunderstood. Some folks just did not get the joke. Many still don't get it today. The object of comedy has always been to take down the high and mighty by whatever means necessary. And, if you happen to be a Middle Eastern despot, you will find much to be offended by here. But, as Allen often did as well, Cohen uses racial and gender stereotypes to shine a light on people's attitudes, and that's likely to put off others as well. That's fine. Some comedy just isn't for everyone.

While his writing style owes much to Allen, his acting chops are also influenced heavily by one of Britain's greatest comics, Peter Sellers. You can see it in his outrageous accents and in his ridiculous pratfalls. Like Sellers, Cohen is fearless in his characterizations and, again, like Sellers, there will be those who will take offense in this. Again, not for everyone. But, if you laughed your butt off at Sellers' simpleton Indian character destroying a Hollywood party, you will be laughing here too.

And that's what we're talking about; laughs. Not every joke works. Many fall flat. But the film starts off fast and furious with a rapid succession of gags, most of which work hilariously, settles down for a bit and then takes off again, literally. His verbal sparring with co-star Jason Mantzoukas is one of the highlights as are many of the fun cameo appearances and a running joke about his name that I will not reveal here. There are many great sight gags that are easily missed and the appearance of his Efawadh character at the U.N. channels a scene right out of Allen's "Sleeper." There's a few scatological and sex jokes also (one about excrement, one about urination, one about masturbation, several about body parts), and these, if you ask me, are the low point of the film (except a child birth scene that's as funny as it is outrageous). But, the bodily fluid gags, so rampant in comedy films today, are actually few and far between. And there's a bit of a message, too.

We're not dealing with "Citizen Kane" here. But, then, this film made me laugh much more.
150 out of 232 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
TRULY FUNNY....Comedy Gold...B++++
markussaturn19 May 2012
Just been to see this film and could never stop laughing. Sacha Baron Cohen is a true comedic talent...an excellent writer as the jokes in it are genius. The film is short but packed full of laughter. Perhaps I'm an easy laugher, but what can I say, I liked it!!! A LOT!!! As well as the comedy being brilliant, the actual plot/storyline is superb also. From watching the trailer, and then watching the film, it was actually a completely different story to how I thought it was going to be. I wasn't very excited to see the film after the trailers, but decided to venture in... I enjoyed it much more than I expected and will likely see it again! It isn't for the easily-offended but if this is your sort of humor then you need to go and watch it now!
94 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great!
schuepbach-sven29 July 2012
One of the funniest movies I know! There are so many good jokes based on what's happening in the world. If you read the news on a daily basis and know what's going on in the world you'll like this movie. Some people may not like Cohen but I think he's a genius. It really takes something to show the problems that we have in a funny way. However you should really go and watch that movie, it's worth the money. I personally watched it twice in theater. Now I really don't know what to write anymore without giving away any jokes because the jokes come one after another. I was already laughing out loud after one minute. It's really cool if you watch a movie in theater and everyone in the room is laughing. So my definitive final conclusion is that The Dictator is more than a movie, it's an experience ;)
86 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Its funny but you might feel guilty laughing and you will need a shower afterwards
theycallmemrglass11 May 2012
I saw a preview screening of this in London.

As expected from Sacha's previous outings and trailers, this film is in extremely bad taste with plenty of filth, blatant offence (disguised as naivety) of every race, gender, age, animal, disability, sexual orientations, terrorism and politics. Sacha gets away with it because no one is left out. No one, including white folks and straight men. Actually, I lie. I don't know how the hell he gets away with it. The important question is, though, is it funny? Yeah...mostly.

There are enough roll in the isle moments to make this worth the ticket but there are also plenty of misfired jokes too, some of which really makes you groan but that's to be expected for a relentless joke firing machine which incidentally has (perhaps mercifully) a short run time of 84mins.

Another burning question I ask myself, while watching this is do I feel guilty laughing at some of the offencive jokes? Yes I do, my guilty conscience raises its ugly head but then I realise (or perhaps I'm just making excuses) that I am laughing at the Dictator's naivety and hilarious sense of misplaced morality while others around him frown at his demeanours.

This is a departure from the Borat, Ali G, and Bruno stable. With those previous films, real people are sought after and ridiculed by scrutinising their reactions and moral bases. This film, however is purely fictitious, Naked Gun style comedy very much similar to Eddie Murphy's Coming to America with obviously a lot lot less subtlety. However, Sacha's Dictator has pretty much the same political correctness that Borat has but with more hilarious Dictatorship cravings such as executing anyone that annoys him.

A good supporting cast thankfully gives this zany film a little bit more variety, particularly Anna Francis, comically playing off the Dictator's character who frankly dominates almost every frame (as I guess a dictator would). John C Reilly also gives a short but hilarious turn. And then there are a few special cameo celebrity guest appearances (or victims, rather) sprinkled around.

There are a couple of moments political satire that stands out in hilarity and I wish there was more of it. Alas, it seems vulgarity is more favoured.

So if you have no guilty conscience, welcome vulgarity and all things "un-pc" with open arms, do not despise Sacha Cohen Baron and are willing to kiss his armpits (last one is optional), then I reckon you will enjoy this film. For me, filthy films are not my normal cup of tea, nevertheless I did enjoy this but I need a long shower after watching it.
101 out of 180 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Was I watching the same movie as everyone else???
Les Paul23 July 2012
I really cannot believe the reviews I am reading about this film, how funny it is, an instant classics etc... Let me first begin by saying I am a huge Sacha b Cohen fan, I love his stuff, Ali G, Borat & Bruno. All hysterically funny, some what very unnerving to watch at times, but that a massive part of the appeal... They were below the belt humor, especially Bruno, that you really hadn't seen before and didn't know how to react to it, which made it hysterical.

The dictator was non of that. It had brief funny bits in, that were really obvious as well, throughout the film. I was so disappointed as the trailer looked funny and being an avid fan could not wait for the release. But like i say, it wasn't, it was just obvious lets make quick money Hollywood nonsense that so many films seem to be these days.

I actually started to think, "is it me, am I getting too old for this sort of stuff?". I'm 48 and went to see the film with my 20 year old sons who also thought the film was rubbish!!

What is it with so many films these days that they seem to of lost all sense of character? I love a film, I love a good comedy, but I haven't seen anything decent in a long time because there always seems to be something missing or lacking from the the films these days. Has all the writers run out of ideas, or has everything just been done to death now?

Get your act together Sacha, you know your better than this Hollywood bulls**t, don't let those idiots ruin what and who you are!!

That's the truth right there pal, despite all the hype I bet you agree with my comments!!
77 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very Funny!!!
Pumpkin_Man16 May 2012
This movie was absolutely dirty, offensive, hilarious, racist, and crazy over-the-top moments. It's about the same style as Sacha Baron Cohen's previous movies, but it's done much better. Cohen plays a silly ruthless dictator named Admiral General Aladeen. He is very anti-semitic and plans on creating nuclear weapons. He hates the very idea of democracy. While on his way to the United Nations, he's betrayed and shaven so no one would recognize him. He's taken in by Zoey, a vegan hippie, and gives him a job at her store. Will Aladeen make it to the U.N. to stop democracy from coming to his country, or will Zoey change his heart? I would definitely recommend THE DICTATOR!!!
52 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't waste your time.
farhannyc25 August 2012
Sasha Cohen is old news. The movie had a cheap comedy. If you will laugh at anything then its not bad. I rather go to sleep. The movie has no sense of direction. The actors are C- storyline is weak There are some funny line here and there. Borat was excellent, however this was disappointment. The Ali G show was great when it came out. This was a continuation of The Ali G show.There was a lot of racism and typical stereotypes but most were overplayed. This movie was probably done in Sasha mind in a 5 minute dream. I am glad i did not pay to watch this movie. I guess when he spilled the ashes on Ryan Seacrest this was a sign how bad his movie was. He is a great actor, I commend him on his work in other movies, but this movie was for amateurs.
38 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Forget Borat and Bruno - this is Ali G Indahouse 2
William Hall17 May 2012
The latest outing from Sacha Baron Cohen follows the experiences of an eccentric dictator named Aladeen (Baron Cohen) who strives to prevent democracy being introduced in his home country of Wadiya. After travelling to the US to make a speech he's kidnapped, de-bearded and replaced by a brain-dead double. Breaking free, he's taken in by a vegan, liberal activist (Faris), and begins to hatch a plan to prevent Wadiya becoming a democracy.

Comparisons of The Dictator to recent outings such as Borat and Bruno are slightly misleading. The genius of his previous work was melding bizarre fictional characters with unknowing bystanders. Using these exuberant creations, such as Borat, he was able draw reactions out of members of the public that were often shocking, and sometimes hilarious. This is not evident once in The Dictator, which moves away from away from the documentary style and feels like 83 minutes of filler, with no end reward. Instead the audience is subjected to what is in essence a very poor, gross-out comedy, which relies almost entirely on its ability to shock. It harks back to the Ali G IndaHouse era, which few will think of as Baron Cohen's golden age.

There are some comical moments, such as Aladeen and a friend taking a helicopter ride with two American tourists and, while gesturing innocently, appear that they are about to commit a terrorist attack. However these brief flashes are not enough to save a disappointing third outing, which will survive primarily due to the kudos established by previous titles, and the hype Baron Cohen once again masterfully orchestrated. If another Baron Cohen character is created it will surely need more substance than The Dictator has to offer.
33 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sacha Baron Cohen is a Master!
namashi_121 August 2012
Sacha Baron Cohen is a Master Actor! No two options on that! His range as a performer, is undeniable & indeed terrific. With his latest box-office hit 'The Dictator', Sacha delivers a yet another masterful performance, that exhibits his potential to the optimum.

'The Dictator' Synopsis: The heroic story of a dictator who risks his life to ensure that democracy would never come to the country he so lovingly oppressed.

'The Dictator' is funny & entertaining, but its obviously not logical. It has moments that are so absurd, that you might feel repulsed, but 'The Dictator' at least stays true to its genre. The Screenplay Written by Alec Berg, David Mandel, Jeff Schaffer & Sacha himself, is funny, but crass & overtly crude, but it never loses pace. Larry Charles's Direction is adequate.

Sacha embodies Admiral General Aladeen & is simply masterful in here. A Versatile, Marvelous Actor, who once again delivers beyond expectations. Here's an actor who needs to be taken more seriously. Being so good in a silly film such as this, proves how good he can get in a film that offers a stronger background.

On the whole, 'The Dictator' isn't the finest comedy you'd see, but its entertaining nonetheless.
15 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hilarious, probably going to be addictive!
Connor Taylor18 May 2012
Don't know where to start. Just been to see this film and could never stop laughing. When I thought it couldn't get any funnier, it did! Sacha Baron Cohen is clearly an excellent writer as the jokes in it are genius. I love the humour of it! Although it is a short film, the jokes that it includes seem to pay off. As well as the comedy being brilliant, the actual plot/storyline is superb also. From watching the trailer, and then watching the film, it was actually a completely different story to how I thought it was going to be. The plot made the film funnier. I would recommend that you all watch it as I would certainly watch it again, a lot more as this film is a work of art. It isn't for the easily-offended but if this is your sort of humour then you need to go and watch it now!
30 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
How does everyone else not see how crap this movie is
Frank-mccaughey19 August 2012
This is up there with one of the worst movies I have ever seen. And I loved Borat and Bruno. To me it's lazy and completely predictable. With none of the shock elements of his previous movies. I can't tell you how bad this movie was. But what I am amazed is it got 6.7 so far in IMDb which now makes me doubt this site. Overall the core problem is that the subject matter ie dictators just does not offer the same scope nor the opportunity to give you that real scenarios where the main character is causing caos. This to me was Sasha with a bigger budget not knowing or caring of the outcome. Brutal. Every joke was obvious. The accents were terrible. It just like any originality. I sat there with a sense of disbelief about some of the scenes. Really really disappointing. But then the trailer didn't suggest much. Butni thought given it was Sasha that it would be great. Brutal
26 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Astonishingly Bad
William Warby23 May 2012
I left the cinema after 45 minutes of this spectacularly unfunny film. I enjoyed Borat and Bruno so I was surprised by just how much I hated The Dictator. It reminded me of spoof movies like Scary Movie with it's steady stream low quality, witless jokes that might appeal to people who laugh at their own farts.

Sacha Baron Cohen's reality-style comedies work because the audience is either cringing in sympathy for his unwitting victims or wincing in revulsion at the lengths he will go to for a laugh. His willingness to push boundaries in these films is what makes them entertaining, but in a scripted comedy, Cohen's utterly unsubtle sense of humour comes off as crass, lazy and cheap.

Anna Faris's character epitomises everything that is wrong with The Dictator. She's a political activist that works in a non-profit feminist vegan health food democratically run co-operative shop who doesn't shave her armpits. She's a caricature of a kind you would expect to find in a formula spoof movie. It just isn't funny.
26 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wait for the DVD
ssbra1 May 2012
After watching the trailer and waiting weeks for the movie to come out, I finally had my chance when i got tickets to the advance screening and having watched all the other Sacha Baron Cohen movies I didn't expect this to be such a disappointment.

I weren't give away any spoilers or any vital bits but certain lines and scenes in the trailer don't appear in the film , whilst some scenes where funny overall most of the jokes lack fizz and fall flat and the accent isn't portrayed well. The story line was set up well and this could have been a great movie but it just seems like it was rushed and just a film to get another pay check.

So my advice is to save your money and wait for the Uncut version to come out as it seems it might just make this film worth it.
54 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Everybody Hurts... Big Time!!
xaggurat8 August 2012
Someone asked "Did anyone over 30 like it?" Maybe I would have liked it when I was under 13, not sure.

I was over 30 when I saw 'Borat', thought it was wild and I laughed a lot watching it. 'The Dictator' is just cheesy and bad. Waste of time. The fact that title of this film is close to Chaplin's 'The Great Dictator' almost gives me a headache.

Acting is clumsy, jokes are childish, timing is terrible, looks cheap, plot is a big cliché... almost everything in this movie sucks. MC Rai's version of REM's Everybody Hurts is the only exception, but obviously one track in the soundtrack just can't save the film.

1/10 stars. That bad.
17 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Dictator...1 out of 4 Skittles
FilmStallion6 September 2012
General Aladeen (Sacha Baron Cohen)…the harsh dictator of the fake country of Wadiya, claims the world's worst political figures as best friends, admits that the real Bin Laden is currently living in his guest house, and has no problem calling for the execution of anyone who mildly inconveniences him. General Aladeen makes his way to America to defend himself to the United Nations about his pursuit to construct weapons of mass destruction, but ends up running for his life on the streets of New York after an attempted assassination against his life goes awry.

The premise sounds like a winner in the current political world, yet the actual product doesn't live up to the hype of Cohen's reputation. Cohen became a comedic force with his gut busting Borat in 2006 and added to his legacy with 2009's Bruno. His comedic style works best when it's natural, and those around him aren't in on the joke. The Dictator sadly comes across as the exact opposite. It felt staged, scripted, forced and worst of all it wasn't very funny.

The talented cast of Ben Kingsley and John C. Reilly are severely underused, and a pathetic attempt at a love story between the general and the kind of woman he has despised his entire life, a politically correct hippy owner of an organic world market (played by Anna Faris) only plays as weak writing.

There are a few laughs to be had, probably the biggest being the montage of the general learning how to self gratify himself intercut with footage of majestic bald eagles soaring through the air. Cohen's hilarious rendition of Dr. Dre's 'The Next Episode' with the general singing "Aladeen motherfuc%er!" will find itself on more than a few Ipod playlist.

I'm also sure a few of the movie's lines will be quoted by adolescent middle school aged boys and douchebag frat dudes alike, but for the most part The Dictator is a major dud, and a huge step back from Cohen's previous films. It left me longing for the days of Borat offending the world one rodeo at a time.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sacha Cohen sinks to a new all time low of comedy.
Jimi the Saint13 August 2012
I would normally hesitate to award a 1/10 to any movie, as there is usually some redeeming factor to each production that would warrant it be award SOME merit. Unfortunately, that cannot be said about this movie.

Being a big fan of Sacha's early work, in the guise of Ali G (having a slot on the show The Day Today), I was bitterly disappoint at the extremely adolescent and unintelligent 'humor' he has adopted for this movie.

I can honestly say that there wasn't ONE amusing moment through the film, from start to end.

Your 83 mins would be a well worth spent on something else a lot more productive.... like sleeping. Sorry for the negativity, its just that this movie was utter s***.
20 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awful
shood32120 May 2012
The Dictator is one of the top-10 worst movies I have ever seen. We left in the middle of this dreadful creation. Bathroom humor is fine but the gratuitous, sophomoric filth was over the top.

How Ben Kingsley could have lowered himself to this level is astonishing. One of the best actors of a generation has gone from an Academy Award winning portrayal of one of mankind's greatest characters, Ghandi, to a film that could have been produced by a college fraternity.

Borat was great and Bruno was good, but Cohen jumped the shark with The Dictator.
20 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the Funniest and Most Intelligent Criticisms I Have Ever Seen in Many Years
Claudio Carvalho27 December 2012
When the UN threatens the nuclear program of the Republic of Wadiya, the dictator Hafez Aladeen (Sacha Baron Cohen) decides to go to New York to make a speech in the assembly. However, his minister Tamir (Ben Kingsley) is plotting a scheme to topple Aladeen and sign multimillionaire contracts with foreign oil companies to make him a tycoon.

Tamir hires the torturer Clayton (John C. Reilly) to kill Aladeen, but he fails and the dictator flees without his long beard. Aladeen unsuccessfully tries to reach the Lancaster Hotel and he meets the owner of the store of natural products Zoey (Anna Faris), who is protesting against the presence of Aladeen in UN. She believes that he is Allison Burgers, a refugee from Wadiya and brings Aladeen to her store to help him to cater the hotel. He stays with her while he tries to find a means to break in the hotel with his comrade Nadal (Jason Mantzoukas).

The politically incorrect "The Dictator" is one of the funniest and most intelligent criticisms I have ever seen in many years. Sacha Baron Cohen is hilarious in the role of a dictator and only his speech in the United Nation explaining what a dictatorship is to people used to "democracy" makes the movie worth. But there are several other jokes that made me laugh most of the time. Further the cameos are also a great attraction, especially Megan Fox in the role of herself. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "O Ditador" ("The Dictator")
15 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Disappointment
Joshua howarth30 August 2012
This film was a disappointment to say the least, not just by the terrible acting but also by the structure of the film. Sasha has really let himself down with this one, from the days of Ali G indahouse and Borat you can clearly see that he has sold himself out. This film consists of a poor attempt at comedy that cannot be described as more than 2 stars (just like the cast). If anybody goes to see this film with any expectation please don't as you will see the harsh reality of what once was a comedy genius selling himself out to Hollywood in order to make big money instead of sticking to what he knows best. The surprise element in the Dictator was …… Nothing! I watched the trailer before and that's all that was in this film apart from a terrible script and woeful acting throughout. All I can say is please just stick to the trailer and do not waste ninety minute of your life you will never get back.
15 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very Aladeen!
lasewcanada26 May 2012
Awesome, funny, and very good @ pointing out some of the realities in today's geopolitical landscape Very equal opportunity @ insulting everyone Also very good @ poking fun @ true dictators (past and current)-it seems they captured the top 5 of them of the past 30 years. Quite provocative yet well put together. Enjoyed it greatly.. and I will likely to watch it few more times. Unlike the Borat, this is a movie with everyone being actors, so effectively series of skits - aka SNL. Quite a few details captured in the movie, so watch and laugh! Few scenes (like in Borat) went over "my line" but all in good fun If you like Borat, you will love it... otherwise, you will hate it!

And yes, I like watching documentaries with a ducks... like Nuclear Nadal has pointed out...before his "execution" 8)
21 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this