IMDb > Doonby (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Doonby

Doonby More at IMDbPro »

Engaging characters, a clever plot, and a shocking revelation make Doonby a must see.

Author: manchee from United States
11 March 2012

I'd seen just about every movie that was currently running and my choice was between Doonby and Wanderlust. I'd heard nothing about Doonby and didn't find much on-line, so I went with Jennifer Aniston. Can't lose, right? Well, what a mistake. Fortunately, I got another chance to go to the movies and finally did see Doonby. Wow! I was pleasantly surprised how quickly the story grabbed me. The characters were interesting and obviously something was going on beneath the surface that kept me wide awake anxious to find out what it was.

I go to just about every movie that comes out, and I was, frankly, expecting the worst since I'd heard nothing about this movie anywhere. But the cinematography was excellent, the acting first-rate (well, a few of the actors were a little amateurish but you'd expect that in a low budget film), and the script ingenious. I left the movie feeling emotionally charged and excited---definitely a movie that is well worth seeing.

Held my interest but left me feeling cheated - mysterious enough - but in no way thrilling.

Author: bmk8 from United States
2 March 2015

*** This review may contain spoilers for 'It's A Wonderful Life' as well as for 'Doonby' ***

In 'It's A Wonderful Life' the lesson George Bailey learns is 'every life is worth living'. In 'Doonby' the lesson is 'even 'unwanted' children will grow up to save lives and become talented, successful musicians'. In 'It's A Wonderful Life' we see the support of the loving family George Bailey grew up in, and can easily understand how he came to be the man he is. In 'Doonby' they never show how he went from being abandoned at an orphanage by his mother at a very young age, to being the totally well-adjusted adult he becomes.

In 'It's A Wonderful Life' an Angel uses magic to show George Bailey what Bedford Falls would have been without him. In Bedford Falls with George Bailey in it, everyone knows him, and in the Bedford Falls without George Bailey, no one knows him. But when Doonby exists, he is unable to shake the hand of Laura's father – how can Doonby exist and at the same time hate Laura's father for aborting him? Not only is the magic hidden until the very end, but the world with Doonby and the world without Doonby seem to have been blended together without explanation. It is like a paradoxical and half-finished script for a 'Twilight Zone' episode.

Small wonder I did not see that coming. Who would have guessed the lesson would be so absurd – much less that it would not be directed at any of the characters but at the audience instead. Nothing that happens in the movie is even known to any of the characters except Laura. Laura is the only one who learns the lesson, and she is not pregnant. So the entire story was not about the characters, but about what the film makers want the audience to learn – a clumsy, manipulative, and incoherent breaking the fourth wall.

If 'It's A Wonderful Life' and 'The Twilight Zone' had a baby, 'Doonby' would be it. And this baby should never have been born.

Touching Awakening Amazing " Doonby"

Author: Desiree Songwryter Andrews from Clearwater Fl
4 January 2014

Every family needs a copy of this movie. I found it Thought provoking like the Butterfly Effect. I found it heart warming like "Its a wonderful life"

My thoughts are simply this about this movie... Just like the movie trailer states "Everybody is somebody" This movie left me appreciating who I am who others are, and who everyone who never was might have been. God bless the crew, Great job! Wonderful piece, very mindfully done. Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful!

John Schneider and Leading lady Jenn Gotzon did a truly remarkable job in their roles. They related to each other and the audience in a way that you don't feel that your watching people just acting they became their story they shared their story and their story is one that should touch every viewer.

Great message and John Schneider is wonderful as always!

Author: barbclrd
4 January 2014

This movie has a great message that all people have value and make a difference. Our choices dictate what type of affect we have on the people with whom we come in contact. I appreciated the surprises and the emotional pull this story had on me. John Schneider has been one of my favorite actors since the 70's and he continues to create products that are entertaining and powerful. He even has a scene where he showcases his singing/musical skills. I was not familiar with the other actors, but feel it was full of great performances. If you are looking for a movie that leaves you thinking and realizing you can make a difference in people's lives; I recommend this film wholeheartedly.

Makes you think

Author: laurenschoepfer from United States
2 November 2013

This movie is one that has an encouraging message about the value of life very much like Its a Wonderful Life. It will make you think and want to talk about it with someone immediately after.

It has been a while since I have seen a good movie with a Sixth Sense type revelation at the end.

Though it is rated PG 13 it is a clean film. Here is the content in case you are wondering

Language: no four letter words.

Violence: there is a gunman who tries to hold up a bar for $ there are a few wild shots fired, punches thrown, bottles thrown, very little blood. Later there is an attempted murder and characters respond aggressively in self defense.

Sexuality: a character tries (unsuccessfully) to seduce another (implied nudity). Man in a towel after a shower.

Themes: Accusation of attempted rape. Alcoholism and heavy drinking. Mysterious Stalker presence implied throughout the first two acts.

In my opinion all edgy/questionable content is not glorified, instead it is contrasted against the positive choices made by the upstanding lead character who displays good morals and decision making.

I recommend it.

Not for children, but thought provoking

Author: Jane Gala from United States
22 February 2016

The description Netflix had for this film did not reveal that it had quite adult themes.

My husband and I turned it off, after beginning to watch it with our kids, after about 20 minutes. It was a bit much for our younger kiddos. There are violent scenes, and sexual scenes as well.

We watched the rest later, and found it to be interesting at times, and to have a very thought provoking final 5 minutes.

The characters were interesting. I think John Schneider does a great job as the happy-go- lucky new guy in town. He made me wish he was my neighbor.

We weren't crazy about the gal who played his love interest, but she was fine. I just found her skills for timing her reactions to other actors left me wanting. Just a bit amateurish.

The man who played the leading lady's father was odd, and a bit creepy.

Ernie Hudson is believable in the role of the local bartender. Friendly, outgoing, everyone wants to be at his place.

I can't give a description without spoiling it, so I'll leave it up to you. If you like films with flashbacks, intrigue, mystery, and surprise endings, you'll probably like Doonby.

A religious propaganda peace masquerading as a thriller movie

Author: noskcirenoj from United States
28 February 2015

I cannot "slam" the acting or plot as heartily as some of the other reviewers. Many of the actors did a somewhat reasonable job and the plot was coherent. I have to say I actually enjoyed John Schneider's singing and playing. But the political and religious motivation of the overall movie was distressing. You have to sit through the whole movie before you find out how horrible the symbolism is and discover the impact of the movie as it rears its' ugly and obnoxious head. I'm sure the positive reviews above come from viewers with a fundamentalist religious background and the negative ones come from progressive viewers who feel manipulated and cheated. This movie is the same con as those programs that often appear at your public school with a "good" message and music and invite you or your kids for the evening performance to then pound you with a religious message.

This Movie Will Open Up Your Eyes

Author: garrettweavermusic from Missouri
15 February 2014

I have to admit when I first began to watch "Doonby" I was a little skeptical. But this movie really opened my eyes to a lot of things I was missing. It had it's moments where I just like, "REALLY NOW" but those moments where overshadowed by the depth of the story. The fact is "Doonby" goes places most movies refuse to go, it will definitely take you by surprise and it will most definitely OPEN UP YOUR EYES, to the way you treat people. I am not going to delve to much as I don't want to put any spoilers in my preview. Please take the time to watch "Doonby" and share it with your family and friends, or people you think may need to see this movie.

This is a must see in my book. I have and do recommend it to everyone.

Doonby is a Heartfelt and Entertaining Story

Author: nmangano from United States
11 November 2013

I recently saw the movie Doonby, and when the film ended, I felt like I had just watched an excellent movie. Doonby is an emotional, heartfelt, entertaining story, that weaves an interesting theme throughout the picture. As a viewer, you can certainly tell that something unknown is going on underneath the story's surface, and this riveting sense keeps you interested and glued to the story. I was pulled into the movie from beginning to end.

I give a nod to John Schneider's portrayal of the lead character, Sam Doonby, yet Jenn Gotzon, as the lead female playing Laura Reaper, carried this movie, in my opinion. Jenn's role as Laura Reaper is believable and powerful, and as an actress, Jenn's character by far reaches the deepest and the most difficult ranges to draw from of all of the characters in the movie. I was glad that I sat through this movie that deals with pertinent social issues, and I highly recommend seeing Doonby.

Not what I was expecting: Some moments of good, some of it strange and even creepy at times

Author: heartfantasynovels from United States
11 January 2016

This movie was one of the strangest movies I have seen. The acting and directing was pretty good most of the time. The movie cuts to the past of the main character on occasion. The transitions between cut scenes was odd at times. There were moments when I was surprised to see John Schnrieder in a role like this. In this drama, there is drunkenness, lewd comments, innuendo, theft at gun point, sexual situations, stalking, killing out of self defense, and accusations of abuse. Again, not the type of movie I am used to seeing John Schneider in. But, by the end of the film, his involvement made much more sense. The message of the movie (which you do not truly understand until the very end) is worth the watch.

****If you are used to seeing movies with these actors that are more family friendly, please know this is not one of those types of films. I might watch it with a teenager depending on their maturity level but I wouldn't have this playing with younger kids in the room.****

It was also difficult for me to believe the relationship between the two lead characters (Sam and Laura) due to the age difference. This may not be an obstacle for most people. It made sense why the character, Laura, would go for somewhat of a father figure type. It was a bit on the creepy side for me though since my heart views Mr. Schneider as a good father figure and man of faith. Strange as this may be to some... It grossed me out to see them kiss. LOL