IMDb > Citadel (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Great creeping horror!

Author: robhartjr from United States
8 February 2013

I fell under a horror movie high one day and decided to search for the best horror films of 2012. I clicked on various different lists and this movie was featured on nearly all of them. I looked at its IMDb rating and was disappointed with its low rating so I didn't really feel motivated to see it. But I was at Wal Mart and saw this movie there on sale and I just impulsively purchased it hoping the low rating on here was wrong. I am very glad I decided to buy this movie.

A young man is left widowed and damaged with agoraphobia after his pregnant wife is randomly attacked by a group of hooded kids. The baby is saved while the wife is left comatose for a few months until she finally passes. The young man is now raising the daughter alone in his panicked agoraphobic state. Then one day the hooded kids kidnap his daughter. With the help of a badmouthed priest and his son, he must rescue his daughter and learn the truth about these demonic hooded children.

Don't be fooled by the clichéd plot. This movie is one of the more original horror films in the past 10 years. Its a shame it hasn't found a decent release in the US. I'm sure if this was given a theatrical release during the Halloween season it would've been a decent hit. This is the second best traditional horror movie released in 2012 behind Sinister in my opinion. There is something just eerie and unsettling about this film. The terror starts off within 5 minutes with a heart pumping intro. Then the more dramatic aspect takes place for about 20 minutes so that we can get to know the characters. The last half of the movie is just genius horror film making. Sure many things are questionable about this movie, but who cares? Its a great spooky film to watch in the dark alone or with a lover or friends. The cinematography is very well done for a first time director. The directing itself reminded me of Danny Boyles '28 Days Later' in some aspects. The acting is pretty good for a low budget film. There are many scenes that are just perfectly executed even though some of the characters decisions are typical Horror movie clichés. There is a fantastically creeping scene on the bus that will surely stick with most viewers long after seeing this movie. The music is great and ominous. The music that plays at the end and through the ending credits is very beautiful and creepy at the same time. The demonic hooded children are some of the scariest horror villains in a long time. Many old school horror fans will think of 'The Brood' when they see the evil kids in this film. But honestly these kids are more menacing and scary. The director is certainly someone to watch out for in the future.

Currently the film has a pretty low score of 5.3 based on around only 1,000 votes here on IMDb as I type this review. Though the movie is not popular yet among US viewers since it has only seen a DVD/Blu Ray release without any advertisement, I think it has potential to explode in popularity. I do hope that the horror fans that appreciate true good horror will spread the word on this movie and help it become the cult classic it is destined to be. Hopefully the rating goes up. Trust me, this movie is one of the good horror movies. It's honestly worth a purchase or at least a redbox rental. Give it a shot if you need a fresh simple horror movie to scare you for the night. *I've discovered that this movie has recently been available for streaming on Netflix. I hope that slowly helps bring up its popularity and acclaim.*

My Review Of "Citadel"

Author: ASouthernHorrorFan from United States
12 December 2012

"Citadel" is a Irish film directed by Cairan Foy that follows a young father through is journey into darkness as he battles despair and tragedy. After the senseless death of the mother of his child which forces the baby into the world prematurely the father soon faces a nightmare even greater in his quest to provide a life for his child. He struggles with agoraphobia and social anxiety which he soon confronts as he comes face to face with the dangerous youths that terrorize the neighborhood. The film stars Aneurin Barnard, Wunmi Mosaku, Amy Shields, James Cosmo and Jake Wilson. It is a deep social commentary which plays out in horrendous exaggeration of society at it's most basic breakdown.

"Citadel" delves deep into the dark and sinister realm of social collapse. As a neighborhood goes through slow rehabilitation a twisted reality unfolds. Savage and untamed youths lay siege to a tower block in the community killing anyone who crosses their path and stealing the children. The story has a sort of melancholic atmosphere which pulls at your emotions as it draws you into the story. It flows from moments of casual melodrama and intense suspensefulness that makes most of the scenes feel for intense than they really are. It creates an almost nervous anticipation for during most of the film. It is a truly dark story which expresses a lot of emotion and desperation as a movie goer watching the story unfold that is an added bonus. The revealing cause of the vicious nature of the youths terrorizing the community is truly sinister but could have been played up a little more than it is in the movie. There is a slight imbalance between the slower more emotional scenes and the intense thrill scenes. However not enough of an issue to not find this movie pleasurable. It is disturbing and kind of twisted. I really enjoyed the more vulnerable and heartfelt approach to horror this film takes.

Great budget horror

Author: jonnytheshirt from United Kingdom
12 November 2012

From the Irish and Scottish film boards a nice gritty horror that plays out like a great short story. Quite creepy with solid main performances from Cosmo (Braveheart and Game of Thrones) a world class actor and newcomer Barnard. This reminds me of another similarly gritty Celtic collaboration. A great Urban horror set in dangerous Scottish estates abandoned it seems by police and society where fear breeds. The agoraphobia of the main character is done well I thought and that different angle and its subsequent analogy of escaping from the hopeless forgotten edges of society added another dimension to the main character. Cosmo is great as always as the unorthodox priest and you'll not be seeing him waving about any bibles trying to dispossess anyone. The only complaint I will make is a scene which isn't really essential in which some dodgy CGI is employed. The main character might look a bit over made up in his attempt to look like a sleep deprived fear driven man, but otherwise I really enjoyed this film done on an extremely modest budget displaying just how to make a modern urban horror.

Original Irish Horror with a truly contemporary twist...

Author: Zachar_Laskewicz from Belgium
25 May 2013

Although this film was made thanks to sponsorship from the Irish film board, it is far from a piece of Catholic dogma. The character who plays the priest renounces religion entirely and the film's horror is an original and recent addition to the genre. It's full of good ideas and can be related to relatively recent phenomena; the urban sprawl and the creation of enormous flatblocks outside city centres, prevalent across the United Kingdom. Most frighteningly perhaps it represents the disaffected youth who hide themselves from the enormous collection of security cameras which dictate their life. Spawns of drug selling youth hide their identity behind hoodies; who'd have guessed 20 years ago that being approached by a group of youth wearing tracksuits would be such a menacing phenomenon. In this film creative use is made of this fear. The film is far from perfect, but most important is its originality, fear is created the way it should be, as suspense, and the implication of the horror created by its themes don't require an enormous spilling of blood or disgusting special effects to disquiet and disturb you. I'm glad I saw this film; it proves again that truly good additions to the genre, don't originate from Hollywood and don't require its approval to be made.

Absolutely Brilliant

Author: emmagardner14
27 August 2014

Great film. Extremely scary and chilling, not like most horror films nowadays, where the scares are predictable and you can pretty much guess what will happen. Watched it with a friend and first thing that actually scared us properly, and left us not being able to sleep for about 4 nights! Brilliant acting from Aneurin Barnard, i've only seen him in a few other things but he's a very good actor, good in many roles, and i hope to see him in other stuff. Although the cast was less well known, there was very good acting from all the others. Definitely give this a go, if you like a good horror/psychological thriller that will leave you extremely creeped out.

Decent horror n excellent acting by the lead.

Author: bloke_shwin from India
12 November 2016

I saw this on a rented DVD in 2013. The movie was not bad. It has a sort of atmosphere which pulls you into the story. Some scenes were disturbing and kind of twisted. Found it to b scary and chilling, not like most horror films nowadays, where the scares are predictable and you can pretty much guess what will happen. The visualisation of the desolate slum-land is brilliantly created. The abandoned tower block was creepy. Tim Fleming's restless cinematography further adds to the picture's overall unsettling impact. The demons/stalkers are depicted as a genuinely menacing and frightening. Kinda supernatural/genetic mutations. The movie is extremely brooding n claustrophobic. There is a sense of dread, paranoia, surrealism, loneliness n helplessness. The film's exploration of the lead character's agoraphobia is powerful without being overpowering. The fears the lead character has are realistic. Brilliant acting from Aneurin Barnard. He looked like a person who is going thru a trauma. There is this feeling in this film that the lead character is completely alone. There is no help coming n he will have to fend for himself. Only one thing i disliked in this film was the twist in the end. Well its not predictable but i dint like it. The director was successful in creating tension by putting a baby in jeopardy. The priest in this movie looked like Brian Cox.

listen to all that the priest tells you, explanation here!

Author: O Mr from United Kingdom
25 January 2015

**major spoilers!!** I keep seeing reviews on here where people just didn't get it, miss important plot points and didn't listen to what the priest clearly explained. The children came from 1 girl, pregnant yet had contracted a disease. The baby twins she had interbred, and so due to this and the infection they became mutated. Hence, they are attracted to (and the priest tells us all this) fear, they can only see the red mist if people that are fearful. When our hero gains his bravery he in effect becomes invisible to them. This is also explained by young Danny who says..more than once.. "I can't see you". He was one of the children that escaped the tower, and he was beginning to become one of the feral kids but escaped before his transformation. This also explains the caged kids in the basement being transformed into the feral kids to join the hunt as night time packs.

I really don't understand why people didn't get this, and consequently gave this movie such a poor rating.

Astounding exercise in the psychology of fear.

Author: Dan Ashley (DanLives1980) from United Kingdom
31 July 2016

This is what I'm talking about. Just when you think you're so jaded that nothing can affect you, along comes a film that straddles the line between horror and harrowing drama with the effectiveness of the movies that caused the worst nightmares of your childhood! Citadel flew under the radar back in 2012 and I can see why. It's too grim for the average viewer; the kind of people who seek to escape reality with the absurdity of popcorn movies. Citadel does not want you to escape. It wants to drag you deeper into the cold, black depths of its own private hell. That it does with perfect writing, directing, acting and location.

Too often the torch of "best horror film since..." is passed onto the rip-offs that have no intention of producing originality. They seek recognition for their ability to mimic their betters. Citadel is all alone in its personal nightmare, but if you see it, it will drag you in.

It's amazing how, with the right tools at your disposal, simplicity can lead to such profound filmmaking. Citadel's strengths may seem few at first glance, but through amazing acting on behalf of its lead character, the psychology of fear - the victim mentality, the onset of panic and anxiety, and a visceral insight into post-traumatic stress syndrome - can leap to the viewer like a virus.

With elements of Harry Brown and Tyrannosaur, Citadel is one hyper-real Aphex Twin urban nightmare, shameless in its teasing of the nerves and building atmosphere and suspense like the steam inside a pressure cooker.

See it!

Good acting from main character but pretty poor back story

Author: Johan Louwet
24 February 2015

I wasn't sure how to rate this movie. I really liked the acting of Aneurin Barnard as the young father of a baby girl whose wife was violated by a bunch of kids and died as a result. His agoraphobia and fear that those kids might hurt him or his daughter looked very convincing to me. However once those evil kids got hold of his daughter there is an attempt to put some more action in the movie. The back story of the building (the citadel) and its inhabitants (the evil kids), it's worked out rather poorly. The inclusion of the blind boy was pretty good but the role of the priest was rather unfitting. I don't mind movies with a small cast but here the lack of people in the streets severed the movie's quality and overall enjoyment.

Horror Trunk Review: The many hoods of horror.

Author: Katie Bonham from United Kingdom
7 March 2013

Recently, 'Hoodie' horrors have been emerging from the British horror scene, focusing on young generations, and their violent exploits. Citadel is the story of a man who helplessly watches a group of youths attack his pregnant wife.

Mostof the violence is narrated off-screen; instead the action is shown through shadows, reflections, and sounds. The shots are compiled well, a particular favourite set in the cemetery.

Citadel is not as violent and shocking as its predecessors. Through the choice of a small cast,and limited sets, it offers a narrative focused on personalising the story.I would recommend as a thoughtful look into a usually over-violent sub-genre.

Full review at the horrortrunk website.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]