IMDb > "Young Justice" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Young Justice" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

One of THE best DC cartoons of all time, in my opinion.

Author: Tolly Maggs from United Kingdom
15 February 2012

DC has always been well known for making fantastic children's cartoons that can be aimed for the hardcore adult fans as-well, bringing nothing but top-notch shows. However, in recent years, it seems that the quality of DC cartoons have dropped. The two main shows that come to mind are "The Batman", a terrible show which is clearly aimed at the younger audience, and "Batman: The brave and bold", A decent cartoon that isn't on par with classic DC cartoons.

However, this cartoon has brought back the best parts of the best DC cartoons and combined them into one. The "Justice League" series was fantastic, but as the series went on it was clear that each episode focused on the development of particular characters (Especially in JL: Unlimited) which did not have an ultimate affect in the series. episode was a one-off that usually didn't require viewing of the previous or next episode. Young Justice saw this, and tried to do something new. Firstly, it made sure that the team stays small, like the early days of the Justice League, so that it could make these characters actually important to the plot lines. Secondly, it made each episode a one-off adventure that tied to a single string plot that brought each episode together. JL and JL:U did this a few times, but Young Justice has a clear sense of what's happening in the plot, and what the characters are going through. THIS is why I love Young Justice: it knows what it is trying to do, and it makes you constantly want more.

The cartoon style is an updated version of the Justice League's animation style, which shows both seriousness in the tone of the storyline, and the professionalism of the series as a whole. Teen Titans was a 'fun' series, but it was difficult sometimes to accept the serious moments amidst the childish artwork. That's not so much a complaint of Teen Titans, but I appreciate what Young Justice is doing and I prefer it.

Voice work is fine, and the music works. Both are easily above par. I actually think EVERY voice is great, even Batman's (even though I am a die-hard Conroy fan, Bruce Greenwood gives a voice I would definitely expect from Batman). There is one exception, though: I was not impressed by the Joker's voice, or his character. I could see they were trying to make him more "Sane", but that doesn't work, as the character should be the definition of insanity. However, he only appears once, and the other actors are really good.

If you look at my other reviews, you can see that I often give good scores in my reviews. Let me clarify that I am not always giving full marks to what I like, but I prefer to review great shows/movies which I think deserve to be praised. This is definitely a show that deserves to be praised, and I hope the show goes on to be very successful.

Bottom line: Fantastic. I would recommend to anyone, not just DC fans.

Better than Teen Titans

Author: langsts21 from Sioux City, IA
29 December 2010

This series has most of my favorite DC Comics characters whether it be from Young Justice or the Justice League. The show unlike Teen Titans' TV-Y7 rating is rated TV-PG which promises more mature themes and better action sequences. My favorite Young Justice member is Robin followed By Speedy. Robin is my favorite member because I'm a huge fan of the superheroes that Batman regularly teams up with and the super villains that he regularly fights. Not just the storyline is better than Teen Titans, so is the animation. The animation reminds me of the straight to DVD PG-13 movie Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths. The action, the comedy, the characters, and the animation are all top-notch.

DC - This is the Series We Needed and the One We Need Right Now!

Author: sayen_shin from Canada
2 January 2013

Everything fits perfectly in this magical series. These days, if a series shows quality, it is because it was taken seriously by high- ranked people. I love the tone, the characters, the plot-line, the themes, the secrets, the chemistry between many characters, the relationship between Justice League (mentors) and Young Justice (sidekicks), the way they make superheroes used to be forgettable now memorable, etc. I absolutely didn't care about Superboy, Speedy, Blue Beetle, etc., but now I really am interested and I think that is the strength of this show.

The only tiny, small and little complaint I have concerns the music. Actually, I love how it is played throughout each episode, but to make it truly epic, it needs a better introduction or a standout song just like ''The Batman'' (90s, ''Superman'' (90s) and both ''Justice League'' and ''Justice League Unlimited'' : Tananan! Tananan! Tananananan! ... Of course, it is only a personal opinion and it certainly does not diminish the quality of this show.

I have watched the entire ''Young Justice'' season 1 and everything that has aired of season 2 in the last four days and whaouh! I want more and more and more. Whe I started watching season 2, I was utterly surprised to see a 5 years jump from where season 1 left and CHUCK NORRIS or GOD was I pleased! It truly is an intelligent move because it allows to bring new young superheroes like Blue Beetle or Impulse, etc. I am 20 years old and this show certainly is for young teenagers and young adults and even adults. Many theme are for mature people, with life and death decisions.

I can't believe how great the animation is, almost as great as every single DC animated movie they release each year, last one being ''The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1''. I truly hope they'll continue this series for many years to come because it is AMAZINGLY AWESOME! This series take risks and it works just fine in my book. That is what keeps it fresh. However, I hope they stay focus on the main characters they developed in the first season, not making the same mistake of some episodes of ''Justice League Unlimited''.

I can only give it a minimum of 9.5/10, but IMDb approximates, so to me, it is a 10/10! If any of the designers see this review, I encourage your awesome work and make you know that you have my total admiration. I was searching for a good show and I found yours by total luck. I am not very lucky in my life, but I think, that day, I totally was!

DC got it right

Author: polo2popa from United States
20 July 2011

DC Universe finally got it right with this series; this is one animated series that I look forward to seeing the next episode. This is a more advanced and updated version of the comic book which I like a lot, and allowing the youngsters to go on covert missions learning how to be a team as they stumble through how to be heroes is a real watchable and enjoyable delight. Hopefully they won't stray too far from the storyline that they've set and allow us to see the progression of the cloned Super-Man Connor as well as Speedy or the Red Arrow, which will make this one of the best superhero action series since Super-Man and Batman. I think this will give other animators something to think about and will definitely put DC in the upper echelon rivaling the new Marvel series (TAWMH), keep up the good work.

It was the best!

Author: jlmeyer01 from United States
26 November 2010

I watch the show without any spoilers believe me you will not waste time watching this great new show. I watch the Justice League and Teen Titans. It seem to have the best of both worlds. My kids and I did not take our eyes off in till it was over and even then we saw it again. If every episode is a least half as good as the first one, this is going to turn out to be new best cartoon on Cartoon Network. There was great graphic, good voices and great story telling. So even you don't have kids check out this new cartoon it is more then worth your time. Well they telling me I have to type more lines. I already told you what I thought about this great new show. So there not really much else to say.

'Independence Day' or 'All we want to do is save the world!'

Author: paperback_wizard from United States
27 November 2010

There has been no lack of series about the young, troubled, and super-powered set. Arguably, the very concept of the super-hero genre has been called a teen power fantasy. The hero IS the teenager, striking out at the world, righting wrongs in a way a kid never could.

And I can see that. I can also see the implications of that notion. Because teens are sometimes scared of themselves. Scared of the new thoughts and feelings they have, the older they get. Scared of the changes in how they perceive themselves and how they see the world.

Why, even Robin has days when Batman seems like a weird control freak rather than the beloved mentor who keeps Gotham City safe! There comes a time when a young super-hero wants to venture out with his peers.

This is the core premise behind Young Justice, the latest series based on DC Comics' vast and rich mythos of super-heroes. Heading the series is Greg Weisman, perhaps best known for his work on the cult classic Disney series "Gargoyles" and the highly popular "Spectacular Spider-Man" animated series.

His strengths are character development, intelligent and complex villains, and world-building. We get quite a lot of each in the first episode.

The partners (do NOT call them "sidekicks") of the sixteen-member strong Justice League are getting ready to take their first step into, well, the Big League. Access to the Hall of Justice. Participation in the missions that save the World, the Universe, All of Reality, etc.

But when the League does get an alert, they're left to pose for tourists and stay put. How infuriating.

Why, it's almost enough to make them want to sneak out and investigate a mysterious fire at a top secret genetic research facility! Which they do…only to find that someone's after-school science project involves cloning the most powerful hero on Earth, and transforming him into a loyal, brainwashed slave. My, my, my… The banter is crisp and funny, ranging from Robin's pondering on why people are always being over or underwhelmed, yet one never hears about someone just being "whelmed", to the classic bit about confusing codenames: Bystander #1: "Hey, look. It's Speedy!" Bystander #2: "Oh. Is he the Flash's sidekick?" Bystander #1: "No, he's Green Arrow's." Bystander #2: "…*…well, that makes NO sense at ALL." Most of the episode sets up the cast dynamic. Speedy is the hot-headed rebel. So rebellious, in fact, that he storms off in a rage a mere eight minutes into the episode. Robin is the tech geek. Kid Flash is the plucky comedy relief ™. Aqualad is the calm, natural leader who always finds his center, despite increasing misgivings about the world and his place in it. And Superboy is the freshly-minted son Superman never knew he had…much to each other's mutual confusion and anger.

I loved the usage of obscure characters from the DC mythos, such as Blockbuster, the Golden Guardian and Dubbilex the DNAlien. I loved the twist about the true goals of the eerie creatures being created by the Big Bads.

The Big Bads themselves, an ominous unseen council of ominous known as "The Light" managed to seem creepy and smart rather than cliché and trite. Always a plus.

If I have a complaint about the pilot, it's that the female members of them team were either absent entirely (Artemis won't join until episode six) or only made a cameo in the coda (Miss Martian, the sweet-natured niece of J'Onn J'Onzz, Manhunter From Mars). Hopefully they'll be given a prominent role in the actual series.

All in all an exciting, witty, satisfying pilot. The scope of the series looks ambitious, the animation budget seems to be sky high, and the young heroes are now basically the Black Ops branch of the Justice League! That's a notion as disturbing as it is awesome. I'm sure the moral ambiguity will be addressed.

Count me in for the regular series, coming out January of next year.

(Originally appeared at http://fourthdayuniverse.com/reports/ )

Teen Titans Meets Young Justice (For both Tweens and the Young at Heart)

Author: Times_Up from United States
11 October 2012

This show is what Teen Titans should have been in the eyes of those who did not appreciate it's anime meets Tex Avery style. This is aimed more at both kids and adults rather than more squarely at kids like TT, The Batman and Brave and the Bold were.

This is actually an adaptation of both Teen Titans and Young Justice comics, mixing elements of both. Viewers complaining about this show not having strict adherence to YJ comics just b/c of it's title cannot seem to grasp this or lack the imagination to see this.

Like the Teen Titan series from 2003, Young Justice is also anime inspired, but is a straight superhero action show and does not indulge in the absurd elements of that show (i.e. no pint-sized cutesy standard for the character designs), nor does it simplify its stories and characters for young kids comprehension (a necessity in the 3 aforementioned shows being aimed at young children primarily.)

Second season picks up fast

Author: magooford123 from United States
6 October 2012

I've seen a couple of reviews that say the jump between the second season and the first is a huge mistake, and initially I would agree with those reviews. The team from the first season was the one I knew and loved, and for the first couple episodes, the decision seems to be a mistake. However, as they have fleshed out this seasons story line and developed these new characters, I have liked the series more and more. Impulse and Blue Beetle have turned into some of my favorite characters, and the plot twists throughout this season have been absolutely incredible. I know it might be hard to jump into the first few episodes of the second season, but if you give it a chance, you will enjoy it just as much of the first.

Too awesome for words

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
22 December 2012

"Young Justice" is simply one of the best animated shows from the recent years.

At first I thought it was going to be another anime-influenced series like "Teen Titans". Fortunately, it surpassed all my expectations, following the same tradition of other mature and well made animations inspired in DC comics, like the "Batman", "Superman" and "Justice League" series from the nineties.

"Young Justice" had a great script in every episode, is funny to watch, has likable and interesting characters, and also has a great animation with pretty cool designs, which combine modern and classic elements, with excellent results.

In my opinion, this is a flawless series which I would recommend to anyone.

10/10 (And I would give this 11 stars if I could)

One of Cartoon Network's best shows in recent years, not perfect but terrific all the same

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
17 August 2013

Not quite among Cartoon Network's all-time best shows(Dexter's Laboratory, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, Cow and Chicken). But in recent years, alongside Regular Show, Adventure Time and the first three Ben 10 series- Omniverse is a huge disappointment- it is one of their better shows in recent years, The Amazing World of Gumball is also mostly great apart from some weak writing early on. Young Justice isn't quite perfect, the season 2 finale does feel too convenient and incomplete and not all the voice acting was quite there; Brent Spiner is nowhere near sinister or insane enough as Joker, too restrained, Kevin Michael Richardson is over-parted and all his characters sound exactly the same(Mal Duncan is the worst case), and while Nolan North has times where he is right on the money at others he is not powerful or heroic enough as Superman.

The rest of the voice acting though is fabulous, all the Young Justice team are voiced with depth and a great dynamic. Even if Jesse McCartney does start off a tad too lightweight for Nightwing he does mature, as Robin and Dick Grayson he is spot on. Bruce Greenwood is pitch-perfect as Batman, he doesn't erase memories of Kevin Conroy but is suitably dark and brooding. There are no complaints to be made of Vanessa Marshall and Maggie Q as Black Canary and Wonder Woman, and Phil LaMarr is a good Aquaman. For the villain roles, Miguel Ferrer, Oded Ferr, Mark Rolston, Keith Szarabajka, Danny Trejo and Arnold Vosloo are particularly good, though all except for Joker are good. The secondary characters are memorable, the likes of Phil LaMarr, Tara Strong, Edward Asner, Crispin Freeman, Jeff Bennett Geoff Pierson and Cree Summer are without fault. G. Gordon Godfrey is annoying in a way and the only character who isn't (intentionally) likable, but Tim Curry voices with such adept smarmy drollness and sinks his teeth into Godfrey's monologues.

But it's not just the voice acting that makes up and comes across strongly in Young Justice. The animation is great here, somewhat anime in look but colourful, detailed and atmospheric, when it calls for it to have a serious approach- and there are numerous cases of that- it does so very effectively without being overly so. The fluidity of the backgrounds and character movements and how dynamically the colours and shadings are used are to much admired. The music has a feel and orchestration that suits the tone perfectly without making too serious or upbeat, with some beautiful and haunting moments. There's nothing cheesy or forgettable about the theme tune either(unlike other Cartoon Network shows like Ben 10: Omniverse and Johnny Test, how is that show still airing?)

From a writing and narrative standpoint, Young Justice also scores. The dialogue is very thought-provoking and intelligently written, doing a great job at giving the characters depth and complexity and also with an ability to provide emotional depth and a some subtle humour. The story lines are always compelling and succeeds in drawing us into the world the characters live in, there is great atmosphere and the action is exciting and well-animated. It is true that narratively the first season is better than the second, the second season was still interesting and well done on the most part if not quite as well-developed and focused in tone. The characters really make the show work, Robin and Speedy stand out in the Young Justice team though all of them have likable and resourceful personalities. Batman, Black Canary, Wonder Woman and Aquaman come off best in the Justice League, and you even root for the fun and charismatic villains especially Vandal Savage and Ras'Al Ghul.

All in all, a terrific show and it is a shame that it was cancelled- maybe its erratic scheduling got the better of it- because it did have potential to have more and the ending of season 2 did suggest that somewhat. 8.5/10 Bethany Cox

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]