IMDb > "Life's Too Short" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Life's Too Short" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Barely coherent comedy from a hugely overrated personality

Author: Kalifire from UK
24 November 2011

For month prior to this being broadcast, Gervais was busy congratulating himself about this on his marketing reel, sorry, blog. We were told this was the funniest thing he'd done, so expectations were high; this was the man who co-created The Office, after all.

As it turns out, pre-declaring his own brilliance was a misjudgment, because this isn't very good. No, worse than that, this is terrible. It's not that it's offensive (though it tries to be), and it's not that it's badly acted (though nobody is going to win any BAFTAs for this), it's just badly written.

The entire premise is that a documentary crew is filming Warwick Davis, quite inexplicably. That tenuous premise is then stretched beyond breaking point to allow a series of interactions between celebrities and Gervais, and put Davis in a sequence of set-pieces that essentially invite the audience to laugh at a dwarf in compromising situations. There's literally no more to it than that.

Life's Too Short gets the odd chuckle, but by episode three, where we plum the depths of try-hard television by engineering awkward situations for the sake of it, at the expense of any laughter whatsoever, it's clear this has become a car-crash event for the writers. Fortunately for them, they have an army of sycophants who'd rather tell each other that a wheel-bound child being called gay and being unable to get up stairs is HILARIOUS rather than use their discernment to consider that it's not remotely funny; rather just an attempt to raise eyebrows in a distinctly witless fashion.

For the discerning comedy fan who wants to believe that Gervais and Merchant are as good as we all hoped they'd be ten years ago, avoid this like the plague.

comedy a precious commodity

Author: jules (ronansdad) from Cardiff Wales United Kingdom
17 November 2011

Great comedy is a rarity, it's precious in the same way gems are but this is no gem. It is awful in its laziness.

The irony of the plot is that we get to laugh at a dwarf, the gags are predictable when it comes to height and the comic value of an over inflated ego are tired, worn and laboured. Where as Brent in the Office had a character who wanted to be liked and sought acceptance the alter ego of Warwick is shallow and two dimensional. He is an unbelievable w@nker and that's the problem, he is unbelievable. Sadly so are the cameos.

Warwick's selfishness, self importance or blinding crassness is milked in each situation being contrived and lacking grace or fluency. I suppose my problem beyond the limited boundaries of the plot/situation is that I am treated like an idiot lacking any ability to spot subtleties that are the source of good comedy. Of course, the other possibility is Gervais and Merchant can only deal in the blatant and brutal comedy of sarcasm, shock and parody.

If I knew what great comedy was I would be writing it, but bad attempts robs the audience. If the series had an bigger dimension, a plot, story line, substance even, then it would not have to rest on it being a comedy. Without being funny there is not much going for it.

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]