IMDb > Jumping the Broom (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jumping the Broom

Jumping the Broom More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

Concept was fine but acting was HORRID!!!!

Author: reneemsm from United States
9 April 2012

Oh my gosh the acting in this is just TERRIBLE!!! Sabrina, Sabastian, Sabrina's dad (and his assistant), the groomsmen and the bridesmaids. Basically everyone except Angela Basset could be out-acted by the kids at the local high school. It makes me sick to read that people think the low rating is due to people being "racist". That is absurd. The fact is, the movie has some of the worst acting I've ever seen. Worse than most made-for-TV movies. I wanted to like it b/c I completely understand the whole premise (a couple getting married and they can't get along with their in-laws)as I lived it years ago. But the script was tired and has been done over and over and over again. The characters were cliché'd and some things I just didn't find believable. This movie just wasn't good. Sorry.

Better Than Expected

Author: khace from United States
29 May 2011

I went to see this movie because I had seen all of the blockbuster action movies already. I expected a mediocre film with a few laughs and a retread plot. I was pleasantly surprised that this movie was EXCELLENT! It's not the typical "Black" comedy and it has some surprising twists. The cast is incredible. The soundtrack is awesome and the cinematography is beautiful. This is one of the best wedding movies I've ever seen. This is the perfect movie for ANYONE who wants to see a quality movie. This is not a "Black" movie - this is a "GREAT" movie. See it. You've seen "THOR" and "Priest" and "Pirates" and "Fast Five"; so now go see something human, touching, loving, funny and heart-warming. Go see "Jumping The Broom".

Two Words; LOVED IT.

Author: CJ Cassidy (DueceXmachina@msn.com) from United States
14 May 2011

Two Words; LOVED IT.

Produced in part by Bishop T.D. Jakes, it's the basic story of two families from two different worlds coming together for the wedding dinner of their children. After that, the plot is pretty much the same old routine of any movie made with this premise with one major difference. They don't get stupid with the plot line in the middle of the film. The dramatic factor is maintained throughout and the comedy is lighthearted and not overpowering to the point of being satirical.

Mike Epps does an impressive job in the supporting role as the uncle. He gives a mature performance while still giving his fans a taste of what they've come to expect of him. I was very glad to see the return of Gary Dourdan and Valerie Pettiford in their respective roles of the wedding reception chef and the aunt of the bride. I hope to see more of them on the big screen in the very near future. I don't mention Loretta Devine or Angela Bassett, the main protagonists, here because they provide the stellar performances that you come to expect of them! The film editing and direction is on point and seamless. It is a film that is well worth seeing, however… (You just knew there was a 'however'…) As well written, acted and produced, it doesn't have the WOW factor that would make it a blockbuster and a box office hit. (Sorry!) It will however find its way to every DVD and Blueray collection that has any other film in this genre. (DON'T MAKE ME SAY IT, you know what I mean!) I just hope that those copies are not bootleg, because I really would like to see that money go back into the producers pockets so that they may make many more fine, respectable films like this one! I like the direction this film is taking the genre and hope to see much more like it! CJ Cassidy

Jumping the Gun

Author: p-stepien from United Kingdom
18 January 2013

Two worlds collide when compulsive, suave and resigned to solitude uptown girl Sabrina Watson (Paula Patton) runs over an up-and-coming businessman deriving from Bronx Jason Taylor (Laz Alonso). The chance connection redefines them both and within a blink of an eye they have set a wedding date aiming to finalise their marriage. The biggest obstacle being the conflicting family backgrounds, which seem set to topple the marriage. Mr Watson (Brian Stokes Mitchell) and Mrs Watson (Angela Bassett) were born into riches and high class lifestyle, to the extent that despite her skin colour Mrs Watson stems from a family of former slave owners. Meanwhile the widow Mrs Taylor (Loretta Devine), a police clerk, is a possessive mother with very traditional standpoints and a dismissive attitude towards any foreign elements to her family. When family secrets are revealed and incompatible world views interact one weekend on Martha's Vineyard the wedding seems set to burn...

It comes somewhat of a surprise that a romantic comedy with subtexts set in African-American culture seems to be such a novelty, exposing how limited the access of this key demographic has to cinema. Coming off as a black "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", it features rich cultural connotations, centred around the key plot of 'jumping the broom', a traditional form of entering into marriage, derived from the slavery period, when blacks were forbidden to formally marry, hence resorting to African customs. This beautiful and meaningful tradition has seemingly been ridiculed as backward by upper class African Americans (which I must say is a somewhat gut-wrenching self-degrading of their rich culture). And as such this conflict should and could have been the centre of focus for the plot, which unfortunately derails from the substantial comedy into more melodramatic subplots. With only a mildly funny comedic backdrop and the social issues mostly on a back-burner, hinted and then disregarded, the main causes for watching "Jumping the Broom" is the somewhat novel context and the absolutely wicked performances by both matrons: Devine and Bassett. Most other actors deal with the story with typical African-American over-exuberance, but the two queens are dastardly perfection as they summarily head towards total conflict.

Finally! A Refreshing Film...

Author: Shaune Enuahs
27 July 2011

This is a delightful surprising film that is rare in today's slap stick film market of black comedy. The cast is talented and engaging and the script is original. There were awkward moments at times of high drama, yet they are indicative of intense African American culture. This is a must see for film enthusiasts and fans of the leading cast members! I never felt like I'd "seen this one before" while enjoying this movie. I greatly anticipated its arrival, and it exceeded my expectations. The romance was enticing and the characters very colorful. This is one of the first films to showcase the other side of African American life that is often overlooked and still give an honest look at generational progress. I'm looking forward to Bob's Johnson's future as an Our Stories Film trend setter.

Jumping The Broom

Author: jsession-js from United States
12 May 2011

This movie was much better than I thought, although it had it issues. Among them Characters were not really developed, introductions were awkward and too many additional story lines that had nothing to do with the story itself. Pooch Hall he just showed up in Martha's Vineyard, technically the cousin (DeRay Davis) could have just been there. The entire chef scene with (Dourdan / Good) could have been left out. I'm not too sure what was the point in any of their scenes. Another distraction was (Rameo and Tasha). The whole cougar situation didn't work at all, and in the end...(I won't give away what happens), but I just have to say our entire audience in the movie revealed their distaste for that final scene. Lastly the cameo's from TD Jakes were bizarre. He seemed to be lifeless and such poor acting! Wow, what a distraction. There were other great things about the movie (Bassett) was great and the entire situation between she and her husband worked, but not developed enough. The rift between sisters was also underdeveloped. And why the groom's mother (Devine) was so angry and mean another problem. I didn't like her at all in that role and she looked beet down and haggard. Mike Epps is the movies saving grace. He was very funny. I saw him in Richmond VA and wasn't very fond of his style, but after watching the movie I have to say I'm a fan.

A poor imitation of Tyler Perry's offerings

Author: Murli from Bermuda
11 December 2011

Jumping the broom starts out slow, picks up a bit after half an hour when the location switches over to Martha's Vineyard but starts to fall flat just when things could get interesting and leads to a swiftly packaged formulaic and disappointing ending.

It's a shame that the movie was so poor especially when you've got the excellent Angela Basset to headline the movie. But, even this is a let down as she's sidelined to a supporting role, paving the way for Paula Patton to leave her mark. Which, she unfortunately leaves with a bitter taste in your mouth. Paula's acting was mediocre at best, for a role that any no name actress could have pulled off with more ease and style. But you can't fully blame Paula, for the true culprit is the storyline.

I reckon that the director must have seen all of Tyler Perry's movies and play and thought about how to do one in his own style. There's plenty of decent ideas that could have made this a better movie: a hidden family secret that could become a raging destructing tornado, family bonds, bonds of faith and friendship. The family bond is introduced with Jason and his mother, though properly developed. We only get to see a glimpse of the troubles of this family towards the end. What's worse is that the family secret is introduced in the last 10 minutes of the movie and not given proper development, making me wonder what the point was for introducing something like that in a light romantic comedy. The relationship between the two main leads is not interesting and lacking in depth. Somehow it's ludicrous to think that a woman who is so promiscuous would suddenly decide to abstain from sex for six months in the hope of signifying her unyielding and true love for her new found "soulmate." As for the rom-com...the romance is barely there and the comedy is sparse. With Mike Epps in the movie I thought there were bound to be lots of funny scenes but he's subdued and his role is more serious which is a sore letdown. DeRay Davis as the cousin with the chip on his shoulder is poor and he comes off as a one dimensional selfish character.

All in all, it's better to watch Tyler Perry's movies again. They're not solid gold but at least Perry knows who to pace a movie well with comedy and to handle tricky story lines with more grace.

don't eat before you see this

Author: leocharre from United States
24 August 2011

I watched this movie because I love my gf. And she likes to watch girly movies sometimes. I struggled to keep quiet and act like everything was alright- like we were watching a regular movie. We weren't.

The acting was alright- I just think these people were fed a bogus script. This movie wasn't very different than watching a novela- soap opera. Not that I do watch this- but it reminds me of that kind of thing.

It's not very funny. It lasts forever. Just when you think the movie is probably coming to a close- they devise a plot appendage- and the **** just keeps going and going some more.

As I mentioned, the actors, not bad. There are a couple of good ideas in it too- the thing about the broom. But that's just not enough to make a movie- and then have the audacity to release this. I'm especially shocked to see the high ratings this has on IMDb- really a shame. I can watch a 4 point o movie, but this is not that. Don't watch this. Please. I watched this so you don't have to.

Remove Laz Alonso

Author: whateveridontcare95
14 May 2011

This film was average. Laz Alonso was the worst possible choice for leading man. He does not have the ability to connect to a woman emotionally. He was cold and vacant. Not to mention he kisses like a fish. Those kisses were awkward, sloppy and not sexy in the least. Basically, I hated the leads but loved the costars. I did not buy Jason and Sabrina as a couple. They felt like kissing cousins to me. No passion, love, connection, chemistry whatsoever. They both worked better when they were in scenes with others. But together, they were nauseating. I do not recommend seeing this film in theaters. Wait to Netflix or Redbox it. Instead, see Bridemaids. It was light-years ahead of this so called comedy of stereotypes.

Another promising disappointment

Author: nyalycat from United States
8 May 2011

I really wanted to like this movie, as its premise had promise. Two young, attractive, successful African Americans from differing socio-economic backgrounds come together, but because of these markedly different backgrounds, misunderstandings arise. This in itself was enough to build the movie on, class warfare, social climbing, the difficulties of dating in the Black community, but all of these very relevant issues get thrown under the bus in favor of totally implausible melodrama. Where there was real room for exploration about how African Americans discriminate between the haves and have nots, white collar versus blue collar, the movie is hijacked by a plot line so completely hard to believe, and frankly, stupid, that there is no coming back to anything sensible. That the movie then gets all tied up in a neat little bow after all is said and done is just a further insult to one's intelligence. I am sorry to say it, but run away from this movie.

Page 6 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]