IMDb > Jumping the Broom (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Men Should Know

Author: efinitsand from United States
14 May 2011

I am glad Hollywood finally almost got it right with black love. My almost opinion comes from: the lady of interest. Don't get me wrong, Paula Patton is a dream; and, even I wish I had her: skin, body shape, features, hair, etc. However, had the star lady of this movie been: Marion Ramsey or an actress similar to the character of Cadet Laverne Hooks, then I would had been able to relate this movie to my life. Men are clueless; and, when Laz Alonzo finally realized how his mother felt about his impending wedding, Jumping the Broom revealed that myth to be true. Inspite of Marion Ramsey not being cast as the leading female star of Jumping The Broom's movie, I cried throughout the entire show. Every girl wants to believe in the possibility of meeting that guy who will shine the sun on our blissful future; but, in reality that does not happen for every female. My point I am trying to express is, if I had been the woman Laz Alonzo feel head of heels for, then I would possess a glimmer of hope that I would not die alone.

A very good movie

Author: (joemoe116) from United States
12 May 2011

I went to a matinée showing of the new TriStar movie Jumping The Broom. I thought it was a really good movie. Two very different African-American families converge on Martha's Vineyard for a wedding. The Watson's are a wealthy family and the Taylor's lower income family. The culture clash is pretty hilarious. For those of you who thought this was another wedding chick flick, you could not be more wrong. This is not a chick flick. I know some of you saw the previews and thought this is another Tyler Perry movie like Why did I get married. Once again you are wrong. This movie is funny but not over the top. The comedy in this film comes out of situations that could happen to anyone. Another thing I love about this movie is these two families could have been any other race and it would still be just as heartwarming and funny. They just happen to be African-American. As an African-American man I am glad to see a movie with positive African-American men. Oh and parents you can take the kids to see this one. I also thought the cinematography was great writing was smart and humorous. The acting in this film was superb. Angela Bassett who in my opinion is one of the greatest living actresses. She gave a master class performance as she often does. Paula Patton was perfect as Sabrina the optimistic young bride to be. Laz Alonso did a really good job as Jason Taylor. It was good seeing him play a good guy for change. Loretta Devine did a good job as Jason's mother Pam Taylor. Loretta Devine is is the busiest actress in Hollywood. It was good to see Megan Good play a grown-up role. She is starting to stretch herself as an actress as you will see when you go see this movie. I was glad to see Tosha Smith play a character completely different from her Why did I get married character. I thought Julie Brown was very funny as Amy and this movie. Comedian D Ray Davis gave a solid performance playing someone a little different than we are used to seeing him play. I thought Mike Epps was hilarious and this movie. All I will say is Mike Epps is on his way to becoming a comic legend. The multi talented Valerie Pettiford gave a great performance as Aunt Geneva. It was good to see Romeo play a grown-up. He did a really good job. Brian Stokes Mitchell played Mr. Watson very well. Pooch Hall gave a solid performance as Ricky. Gary Dourban gave a solid performance as well. Jumping the Broom is funny, romantic, and heart warming. I thought it was a very good movie.

A smart film that is enjoyable for all.

Author: writerjudy from United States
7 May 2011

There are not many movies that I recommend to people, but this one make me break the rules.

I had the pleasure of seeing Jumping the Broom at for a sneak preview screening on May 1st and I totally enjoyed it. People should totally tell their friends and family about this movie. I can't wait until it comes out on DVD because I am going to add it to my collections. Great job. They should make more movies like this.

The cast to the films was amazing. The script was good and there were some very funny and memorable moments. The story will resonate well with all types of families. It will make you laugh, make you think and even make you cry a little. I definitely think this is a must see film.

LOVED Jumping the Broom

Author: myrawardlow from United States
7 May 2011

LOVED Jumping the Broom...it's my favorite movie EVER!!! CAN'T WAIT to buy it on DVD. Angela Bassett is one of my favorite actresses. I have loved her since Stella Got Her Groove Back. It was a lot of variety of ages and great actors and actresses. Romeo acted very well and mature. Meagan Good is blowing up! She is in everything! I have kept up with her since Biker's Boys and she is great in The Game as well. TD Jakes is doing big things and is an awesome preacher/pastor! Mike Epps is a fool and will make you laugh in any movie! Hands down to the producer and cast of Jumping the Broom. Paula Patton is a coming up great actress. Loretta Devine always plays her part 100%. Laz Alonso with his fine self! Tasha Smith is a fool in everything. She's a great drama queen!

Outstanding!!!

Author: carlayvette from United States
15 May 2011

This movie is about so much more than "2" families coming together for a wedding. So many encouraging messages in such a short time that can literally change lives. From finding love; the true love commitment; the protection, comfort, and support of a man; to the position a man must take to maintain his family.

I recommend this movie for all families. Before marriage, if you've been in marriage for years and/or thinking of the commitment.

Shows men how to take a stand and reclaim their position. Shows men how to take a stand with respect. Encourages women about the role of a real man!

Helps women realize the man you want may not come in the exact wrapper your expect, but what's in the wrapper maybe much more than you can ever expect. Set your standards within reason. How you really want to be treated is the key!

The gift of Motherhood! Don't take it lightly! Yet you can be a Mother without going through the physical birthing process. Real Motherhood takes place after the travail!

I thought it was great & had wonderful themes!

Author: justyolandamccrary (justyolandamccrary@yahoo.com) from Tampa, FL
9 May 2011

I thought the movie was really good...and had many positive messages like abstinence, sexual purity, faithfulness to God, forgiveness, prayer, love and hope! Some will see the glass as half empty, others will see it as FULL! As T.D. Jakes said, "there is no more nudity in it than a JC Penny catalog." I felt that many of the scenarios were very realistic! "Church folk" in general can sometimes come across as very preachy, pretentious & unrealistic. But overall the movie very relatable & that was great! I think the movie was appropriate for the whole family. The movie has themes that are not too offensive for those who are "sensitive." Lastly, I appreciated cast members who were well known as well as actors and actresses who I had never seen before. :)

Outstanding Movie

Author: cara_uma from United States
8 May 2011

I was so impressed with this movie. It is a great movie that is so realistic. If you want to laugh, cry and shout please go see this movie. All the actors were picked perfectly for their roles. Especially Loretta Devine. I wanted to hug her and slap her at the same time. Of course Angela Bassett was perfect as she always is and the guy playing her husband looks better at an older age than he did when he was younger. Of course Mike Epps keeps you laughing and Pooch Hall was OK. The only one I had any negative criticism for was Meagan Good. Girlfriend please update your look. You are such a beautiful young lady but your look is 10 years ago.

Jumping The Broom

Author: Miriam Cobbs from Dallas, TX
7 May 2011

Jumping The Broom is one of the greatest movie that Bishop T.D.Jakes has every made.All of his movie are excellent.But this movie fits all the life people can identified.All the characters in the movie really play their parts with such class and intelligence.Everything just fell into place,it wasn't nothing half done about this movie or any other movie that Bishop Jakes made.I am looking forward to see him get a award for this movie.I love the movie it's just awesome.These are not just fake words,the words that coming from my heart are real.The movie really came out right on time.My hat off to Bishop Jakes and all that have made it possible for Jumping The Broom to be a great success.Bishop Jakes and Others don't worry about the negative things people are saying.Just focus on the Blessings of GOD and enjoy what God has already done and about to do.Be Blessed in the Lord :o)

Fantastically funny

Author: Moon Doggie from United States
7 May 2011

I really enjoyed this film. Will it win academy awards - no. But did it make me laugh out loud and make me go - awww - YES. The characters were great. There were story surprises. And it was REALLY funny. The audience in the movie theater clapped and laughed through out, too. Lead actress girl was the weakest link, but for what it was she did fine. Everybody else, however, was wonderful. I can't stress enough how funny it was. And will admit, I expected less from the trailers I saw for it. This film far exceeded my expectations. It was a silly romantic comedy - heavy on the comedy. And it was easy on the eyes. The cast was stunning and the location was smokin'. A great couple hours spent.

Excellent Movie!!!

Author: from Dallas, TX
7 May 2011

This movie is very well put together. Great flow and great scene transitions. Lots of warmth and heartfelt moments throughout. Angela Basset performance was stellar, as well all actors and actresses. My favorite scenes are with Angela Bassett. Especially the scene where she uses her foreign language skills. Check it out and you will want to see it again. Mike Epps made the movie too. He is a funny guy. Jumping The Broom is a stellar movie with class. This movie is for all social classes. Somewhere in the movie, you will see yourself. Plus, the movie will make you want to improve your relationships on all levels. With non-threatening scenes, you can enjoy it with all audiences. Tell all of your friends to check it out. I am so glad I saw this great movie!!! The best producers, the best actors, simply the best all around. I rate this movie as an A+!

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]