IMDb > Jumping the Broom (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Trust Roger Ebert!

Author: Adam from Bloomington, IN
9 May 2011

I used to look at IMDb regularly and base whether or not I went to a movie on the reviews. With this currently rated so low, I would have normally stayed away, but thankfully I found Roger Ebert's review, which was wonderfully objective. Is this movie perfect? No. Is it fun? Yes. Will you laugh? Probably. I've read several comments included in reviews on here about the side story lines, how little body fat there is on the actors (Really?! Maybe showing fit people is a really good idea.), and a few other things. My basic answer is, so what? Enjoy the movie for what it is. It's a brief look at the life of a two very chaotic and dysfunctional families. Sometimes that's how life works. It may not be your life, but it may be close to someone else's. There are times when the dialogue is so over the top, it was obviously to achieve a certain comedic or dramatic moment, and I'm OK with that. One of the important aspects to me is that in this day and age of movies that portray the worst of society, this portrays the successful black families. The characters were very believable for me. In several instances, I could have sworn I met them at some point in my life. The main characters are certainly the core of the movie. Sabrina and Jason are the young couple whose wedding is affected by the vastly different backgrounds they come from. The mothers are given a very powerful place in the film, with their actions affecting everyone else, as they should. The dynamics are interesting to watch at first, but by the end of the movie, it's very easy to see how and why people are the way they are. Some of the climaxes in the movie are easy to spot, others not so much. In the end, this was a very enjoyable movie, and definitely worth seeing. I almost never choose a romantic comedy as my first choice, but this was such a well rounded movie, even I found it very enjoyable (as a guy) to go to. It wasn't sappy, it wasn't cheesy, it was just plain fun.

Jumping the Broom is highly recommended********

Author: diamond005 from United States
9 May 2011

It was a great movie. The writing and acting were exceptional. I'll give credit where credit is due. I've already seen it twice.

It was not a Ghetto movie as some call it. It's nice to see blacks portrayed in a more positive light. I thought the entire setting from Brooklyn to Martha's Vineyard was interesting. I liked the whole transition. The social classes was typical. I can go on and on about what I loved about this movie but I would rather let people go see it for themselves. They'll be pleasantly surprised.

It's not a "BLACK" movie. I never say, I'm going to see a "White movie or a black movie.

I've read quite a few disparaging and very bias comments. I hate all the labels and brands on this board. It's appalling and so unfair. You actually have to go and see the movie first before you critique it. Stop listening to the media's perception of other races.

Wo!! What a wedding....

Author: Akshay Chugh from India
9 May 2011

These type of African-American comedy movies that make their way to the market are among the few. Jumping the broom is a type of movie that avoids many of the typical and overused stuff of the genre yet provoke a fair degree of an enjoyable experience. It's not a perfect movie but hey, c'Mon who needs that tension, we are going for fun. The movie has enough entertaining and funny moments that will provide satisfaction to your movie watching experience thanks to the award-winning cast for their great performances.

This takes us to the movie theme and plot. In a simple style and scale the director Salim Akil presents a family and culture clashing comedy that is well filmed with progressive shots with a bright tinch of melodrama. As in many romantic movies, the story is about two lovebirds, but here the story is all about class and status. The film features two love-birds Sabrina Watson (Paula Patton) and Jason Taylor (Laz Alonso) planning to marry each other. However the main setup of the film is that these two love each other but their families don't.

Apart from the storyline the film works only because the script is a juggling stuff with a dozen of jokes and gags. Another coup for the film is it's amusing supporting characters which prevents a hard collision and bloodbath when these two entirely different families meet each other. This film also has other shining moments such as it's elegant wedding feel and well coordinated cinematography. The casting is well chosen and diverse. Overall, by most standards it's not enough for a movie to be a hit but will attract the audience as a funny and an interesting flick.

Don't Believe What Others Say, See It For Yourself

Author: jclass-868-571839 from United States
26 May 2011

I thought this was going to be another one of those boring date movies that I must see to make my girl feel good. But, it turned out to be rather good. The story flowed well with good acting by Angela Bassett and the cast did a good job as well. With a nice mixture of drama,comedy and even a few twists. Enjoy the movie for yourself. I can never understand what other critics are actually looking for when they preview a movie. As long as I can feel the characters and not worry about when the credits will role then it is a decent movie. I must say it is nothing worthy of an Oscar nomination but its definitely worth the price of admission.

Awesome, Awesome, Feel Good Movie

Author: Laura from United States
16 August 2011

I rented this movie without expecting much but a few chuckles, what received instead was a new favorite movie and a very pleasant surprise! "Jumping the Broom" is a fantastic movie that is fun, powerfully emotional, and genuine. One walks away from the movie with a new and improved good mood! The characters are incredibly easy to relate with on all levels. They are well rounded, but not too complex. It was quite entertaining to follow the different love connections throughout the movie. There is definitely something for each person to take away from the movie and I highly recommend it to every person, everywhere! I did not want this movie to end and will be re-watching many, many more times!! two big thumbs up!!

Love this movie

Author: trudat1978 from Benton, AR
7 May 2011

I just saw Jumping the Broom OMG the bomb what a great movie. I saw some of my family members in there it was hilarious. This movie touched on just about every area of family drama. This was not just a black film this is a movie for all to see. The cast was spectacular and very believable in their roles. The characters in the film looked like real family members, sometimes you will see a film and the character really don't look like they belong. This is a movie I would take my grandchildren to see. This was a thought provoking movie especially for those getting married or thinking about getting married.I plan on seeing it again. Great job Bishop Jakes!!!!

I heartily recommend Jumping the Broom

Author: missioneagles from Washington, DC
7 May 2011

Jumping the Broom was a refreshment to view. It was a pleasure to watch a movie that was not sexually explicit and profane in content. I much enjoyed the film and the cast members. The movie contained helpful lessons and wise messages with a balanced mix of humor. I delighted in my laugh-out-loud moments. The scenery was appealing, and the family focus was much appreciated.

We need more such films that celebrate families, and films that avoid excessive violence, profanity, and sexually explicit content.

Jumping the Broom was an experience of enrichment. I left the theater with a cheerful, and joyous countenance, and robust appreciation for the production.

A hearty thank you to all who were involved.

In sincerity, Sandra Renee Hicks

Good movie. Recommend highly

Author: bmhooks from United States
8 May 2011

I love movies, and I think this was a very good movie. It had a good story line and dealt with many issues that arise when a young couple in love marry and two families become united. There were some funny scenes and lines in the movies but also some powerful scenes. Mike Epps had some excellent one-liners and I like the interaction between Little Romeo (now all grown-up) and Tasha Smith (cougar relationship). I also like the interaction between the main love interests. There were some twists in the plot which I liked but most of all I liked how the characters came to grips with the imperfections of life and made the best of the situation. I thought it was a good movie and recommend others to see it.

you'll love it !!! I definitely recommend it

Author: solangebogolina
7 April 2012

If you truly love someone,AND YOUR HEART ACHES, then this is IT. Also,you'll love everything else: the actors (every single one of them performs so truly that you will either laugh your heart out or shed ... all your tears), the fabulous setting (Martha's Vineyards, and the gorgeous houses...), the pictures are amazing too( Sony HD pictures, mentioned in the credits!!), the beaches, and oh.. the music, god so many beautiful soul songs (and not only), no wonder black music is the best !I have downloaded all of them! I loved it, I was touched by several scenes, and of course the beautiful Angela Basset is the reason I watched the movie , always exceptional in her acting. Paula Patton is a natural too , she is so charming and pretty.Watching her made me realize she could easily portray late Whitney Houston in an upcoming BIO ( her smile reminds me of her ). Congrats to the film makers , nice plot, wonderful cast,and sensational music. A kind of Pretty woman style movie, catchy and touching.

Jumping the Broom-Jumps to Movie Success ****

Author: edwagreen from United States
21 January 2012

Terrific film showing two African American families-one very wealthy (supposedly) and the other, rather poor people from Brooklyn. The son of the latter and the daughter of the former are to be married.

When the families meet for the first time, fireworks immediately fly and it appears that the marriage-to-be will definitely come apart.

Angela Bassett is marvelous as the upright mother of the bride. Not at all contented with her African heritage, Bassett is a snob to the hilt.

Bassett is equally matched by Loretta Devine, mother of the groom and a Brooklyn postal worker. She is basically the stereotype of a typical mother-in-law.

The film's comedy turns serious when Devine overhears Bassett and another woman reveal a deep dark secret. In order to break up the wedding, she is only to happy to reveal the secret to the bride-to-be.

This is definitely a great film showing the different class structures among people, but how they can settle their differences and unite.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]