IMDb > Evidence (2012/III) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Well Made Candidate in the Found Footage Genre

Author: Graeme Baxter
25 February 2012

There's no arguing that this film is well made with a tight script and good direction, however, as is the way with most found footage genre films, is that they really have to have a "believable" concept and storyline, leastways, the storyline has to be one that doesn't come across as instantly ridiculous.

Evidence nearly gets there, but again, the action packed last 60 minutes are just too cluttered with too much going on and too many questions left unanswered.

The worst part of the found footage genre, are the opening character development scenes - they are either hopelessly painful, or, as is the case in Evidence, seamless and pain free with some good dialogue. Far too many of this genre, fall into the trap of not scripting properly, or, leaving the cast to their own devices and letting them ad lib their way through the scenes. Evidence presents a believable introduction and leaves the viewer at ease quite quickly with the characters and their reasons for the documentary.

As mentioned the last 60 minutes have to understandably pack a lot in, trying to provide explanations whilst still delivering the "money shot" - Evidence gets there, just, with some questions still left hanging.

It's advisable to watch through the credits, as the story continues throughout, why this couldn't be built into the main story, you're left to wonder yourself.

A decent Found Footage film - and it should appeal to most who enjoy the sub genre, just don't go into it with too many high hopes.

Wow, didn't see that coming. One of the better zero budget FF horror flicks i've seen.

Author: baserock_love from United States
24 August 2012

Yet another one of those rare instances where I'm compelled to review a movie because this place unfortunately does not require an IQ test in order to review films here, because if it did, there wouldn't be so many people 1 starring a solid zero budget horror flick because they're confused by...apparently everything. How somebody could be confused by a movie like this is just laughable, it's even more laughable they're not too embarrassed to admit it in a public forum.

As I was watching it it started out as your fairly standard but fairly well paced and creepy FF horror flick, 4 young adults camping in the woods. Weird things happen, sounds in the night. It was all fairly enjoyable but nothing terribly different other then the fact it was horror and enjoyable because lets face it, 99% of horror movies are crap. The pacing is excellent, acting is serviceable, I've seen better and I've seen a lot worse, the atmosphere is excellent, even throwing in a red herring that while completely mundane just really kicks up the creep notch a few. Whoever wrote the script made some great decisions even though it's all very blair witch esque.

I won't spoil it but when you're expecting the standard but acceptable "Everybody dies" ending, the movie completely flips itself on it's head and takes itself in such an unexpected direction and it does it so seamlessly I absolutely couldn't wait to see what happened and where it was going to go. Once things get rolling, like a snowball it just picks up steam leaving the final reel to be pretty much non stop forward momentum.

It's not perfect, there is some spotty acting and in the final reel, the zero budget does show, as the setting isn't very convincing but the shaky camera work and atmospheric lighting do a great job of hiding things.

Don't listen to the haters, if you enjoy found footage, this is seriously a gem. I loved my time with evidence.

Rec Meets the Woods & Camping Gone Wrong 7.5/10

Author: Chaosmetal69 from Canada
3 March 2012

This movie is about a young adult, his girlfriend, his best friend and his girlfriend or friend and their camping trip and his expedition to film an experimental documentary on his best friend. He appears to be an aspiring film maker.

Needless to say we all know that this camping trip goes horribly wrong and its a "found footage" type scenario like Blairwitch, rec, Noroi, grave encounters etc. These are my favourite horrors because they put you in the eye of the beholder and feel more realistic. Other's don't like them for this reason for shaking/motion sickness etc.

Bottom line though, this movie isn't one of those creepy ghost like horror atmospheres of a horror movie. It's a lot like how rec was where it makes you feel very tense and the film itself is intense. It's that kind of horror movie if that makes sense.

THE GOOD:

The story itself seemed pretty standard, then had a twist to something else that was even more standard. However the delivery of it was very solid I thought. I have seen a lot of very bad attempts at doing found footage. I won't bother doing a list of bad ones but I personally thought this did a very good job on its delivery of the story. Some people might be confused by it but I won't say anything else other then I understood it perfectly for the most part.

Next off I'll address the acting. I have also seen horrible acting in movies like these but to my surprise all the actors/actresses were very believable and played well. The main character the one filming was only slightly annoying at parts and whiny but that is how someone COULD act in that situation so its all good. Even the brief actors that came through were great.

The scenes and locations they go to are very well done too which create a nice blanket of suspense the whole time.

Great sounds, effects, and general noises too. All awesome.

THE BAD:

Some elements of the story while I understood most of it as mentioned prior, were still rather confusing and it felt partially like an incomplete "What the..." kind of moment near the end. A summary of what happened would have added another point onto this in my opinion.

Too much flashy camera break ups throughout the movie and near the end spoil a lot of what could have added more scary factors onto it. I know this adds more realism but if you were to see what actually happens during those times it would be much scarier in my opinion.

Overall:

Strongly worth watching if you're into the genre of "found footage". Not groundbreaking like Noroi, rec, or others.

Don't go in with high expectations if you hate the genre. Trust me there's MUCH worse out there. It is still a good watch.

Not again

Author: chser453 from London, United Kingdom
13 April 2012

Sometimes i wonder if the blair witch project should ever have been made- because of the production line of trashy copies in the found-film genre that have been given the green light by moronic movie execs. I've only really seen one decent one since, and that was made in spain (Rec) which borrowed off the likes of 28 days later and bwp, all decent movies. This is garbage. Like other reviewers have said before it wants to throw as many horror themes as possible at the audience hoping theyll swallow one - interspersed with some chase-cam footage alternating between the 2 leading girls backsides. I make no apologies for containing spoilers in this case - i couldn't possibly do anything to spoil the plot of this movie for you more.

The basic premise is quite simple -4 young campers get stalked by something mysterious in the woods and, oh wait a creepy old man has turned up, perhaps hes integral, hang on a minute, now there's a strange hairy gorrila sloth-bear chasing after them, no wait they've stumbled on to a medical testing centre, oh actually its full of lunatic asylum patients, ah right they're human cannibals too, they're wearing gas masks, maybe some contagion, ah yes here comes the US army to save the day, no wait the hairy gorrila things are back! but they have alien bug-faces now? Here comes the continuation-credits, thatll explain everything. Looks to have been one big failed experiment after all. Sums up the movie really.

More confusing than scary

Author: beritertmann
9 April 2012

If you watch this movie thinking it'll be an eerie Blair Witch-sort of horror movie, you're in for a surprise. I loved Blair Witch. This is just a sad rip-off with lots of bad acting and a confusing twist that raises more questions than it answers.

At first this is a typical "two guys/two girls go camping, drink, hear creepy sounds, get scared"-story. Which is fine. However the camera guy quickly started to p me off with a no way realistic reaction to the creepy stuff the group experiences. As the story unfolds the two girls begin to act increasingly illogical and in the end you have to sit through 20 minutes of running, screaming, "I'm gonna run out the door even though there's a monster out there"-decisions and headache-inducing camera work.

I don't know if this is meant to be the new Blair Witch Project or the new From Dusk Till Dawn, but it fails at both.

Even if I could get over the crappy acting, annoying characters, the not at all scary creature and the fact that I have to sit through the credits with all the flickering and static to find out what the hell just happened (apparently everything is explained, but almost impossible to read without pausing the damn thing), I STILL can't get over the gaping holes in the plot. An example: Why do the monster/monsters hunt them so intelligently at first - messing up their car, making noises without attacking etc. - and then later turn into blood hungry beasts running wild? This movie may be the worst horror I've seen in a while.

Why the negative reviews on this one.......

Author: nightwatch4773 from Canada
27 March 2013

This was a pleasant surprise....no actually I knew this was going to be a good one when I purchased it off ebay from a die hard found footage film buff. This is right up there will Evil Things for me. For all the haters out there have you seen Episode 50 or the Bucks County Massacre? Now those were God awful found footage films. This film hit all the right notes....decent acting, some gore, creepy tension and some great looking villains. Most people who liked this film liked the last 20 minutes the most but I felt different. I enjoyed the first hour much more and thought the less we knew about what the hell was stalking these kids in the middle of the night the better. I felt the last act of the film explained too much but it still worked for me. Evidence reminded me a bit of Chernobyl Diaries meets Zombie Diaries with a twist. Overall was coasting to an 8 or a 9 but I was let down a bit by the ending.

Got lost somewhere in the middle?

Author: atishtrisal from Mumbai
15 August 2012

Woohoo! Another documentary type movie?!

The movie is all in all shot with a handy cam. The start was as usual as it would have been, but once in the woods movie was less scary then creepy. The plot got lost somewhere in the end. Couldn't figure it out what was the marine guy doing there? Why were there people like Zombies running for blood in the middle of the jungle. The creature (Another science experiment) looked like a ape covered in some kind of river "Algae". The story line could have been more interesting if there was less confusion in the ending. All in all, nice try. Better luck next time.

OK. This one was a surprise on so many levels!

Author: the_wolf_imdb from Prague
1 August 2012

This movie is very confusing for sure. It does not explain what has happened and does not make much sense. But in many ways it is really surprising.

For start, the beginning of the movie promises another clone of Blair Witch project or something similar. The movie is very slow ans you start to build a theory that this is going to be some sort of "found footage" version of Hills Have Eyes. You cannot be more wrong! The last part (about 20 minutes) is incredibly confusing, surprising, fast paced and almost hysterical. All the theories built at the beginning of the movie will fall apart. You just trying to watch and understand what has happened. You just know something VERY bad has happened, not just an ordinary mass murderer or lonely witch playing with straw dolls. It might be zombie apocalypse or some super weapon or alien or something like that. An you will be probably wrong anyway.

The heroes are confused. You will be confused. It is not an easy watch, but it is most definitely original. This story is definitely not generic nor boring, but definitely not for everyone.

What just happened?

Author: benegesserit20 from Hungary
24 July 2012

This review contains spoiler. Please don't read it before watching the movie.

Well, things are happening quite fast in this movie, mainly in the second half so I'm still trying to put together what really happened.

The story starts with four friends going to camp in a wood, one of them decides to make a documentary of the event (or about his friend camping as stated in the beginning). The tool of making the documentary is a hand-cam, so the atmosphere is quite the same we already know from several other films (not bad, actually, the only thing that disturbed me was the blinking light during the last about 20 minutes). The beginning is quite promising, our heroes arrive to the forest, tents up, campfire burning. (However, I don't really understand why they came by a kind-of trailer when they planned to sleep in tents... Well, I admit that it was useful for some subsequent scenes.) Night falls, strange sounds from the woods, next day a strange hairy creature in the woods, next night sounds getting worse, everyone is getting scared, they decides going home but one of them disappears.

This is the point when things are going wild and you better not even blink if you want to follow what's happening. And the point when the expected value of your IMDb vote starts to drop. Rapidly. Because from now on my perception of this movie was about like this: run- continuously bumping camera and blinking lights -dead body with neatly arranged intestines-run-some screaming (thanks God not too much)-a tractor-a strange place-please stay calm you are in a restricted area-run-hairy creature attack-run-some houses-another hairy creature attack-scream run-a huge complex-crazy zombie attack-reinforcement arrives-even more crazy zombie with hairy creatures-run-run-run-friend's head blown off-military helicopter-end.

So my biggest problem is: WHAT? I assume it was about some research lab (at a point we can see a revolving DNA on the screen-saver of a computer) doing bad-bad things to people and maybe animals and of course things go out of control and our friends here entered a place for camping they shouldn't have (this is all just a wild guess anyway). But how? And what? Too much things are happening in a very short period of time. I don't mind thinking during a film but I'm not really into putting together the pieces of some crazy puzzle when the whole picture will also be a complete mess.

Worst movie I have seen in years (SPOILERS! WARNING!)

Author: Josh Alfaro from California, USA
14 September 2012

First off, I just wanted to say this movie escalated rather quickly. I will try to remain calm, as I have just wasted 70 minutes of my life on this film, and am close to losing my faith in humanity, but I will try to give an honest review.

If the movie had remained with the four original campers throughout the 70 minutes, and hadn't turned in such a random, abrupt direction and kept the story revolving around them being hunted by a Sasquatch styled creature, it would have much butter.

However, the big mistake this movie makes, was hiring a Producer and a screen writer who, while on several different kinds of hallucinogenic drugs, piled on the most incomprehensible, shocking, ridiculous plot elements I have ever witnessed in my entire life. The movie started off great, as the group was being hunted by this Sasquatch like creature. 40 minutes of screaming, running, and boobs later, it turns so abruptly, it was difficult understanding what in the hell was going on.

Coupled with the fact that the way the movie ended, which was infinitely as ridiculous as the plot itself, this turned out to be a rather dissatisfying film. Throughout the movie,one of the two surviving girls from the camp does the most idiotic things in the movie, such as opening various locked doors, running into danger unnecessarily, etc.

As the movie ends, I was close to throwing a tantrum after the only likable, somewhat reasonably logical character in the movie dies, (the blonde girl) while the **** for brains brunette survives.

If only the movie had revolved around the four campers, and have just remained that way for those 70 minutes, it would have turned out nice, as I have stated before. BUT, the credits scenes with the special forces killing everything in that underground facility, could have just been the entire movie as well, and would've been just as entertaining.

Honestly, I would rather see faceless characters in balaclavas cutting down creatures with gunfire, than watching a group of idiotic jackasses running through the woods. At least we'd have a clear understanding of where the movie would be going if it revolved around the spec-ops soldiers in the credits, no? The fact that I would prefer the former over the latter, just shows how terrible this movie was.

All in all, this was a very confusing and disappointing movie, where if I could, I would give this movie a -10 stars. -5, to be generous. Seriously, do not waste your time watching this movie.

(P.S.: If I have to see another movie where the likable characters or main characters are killed off and the supporting cast lives, (like Starship Troopers: Invasion) I will relinquish my humanity, take the next space shuttle to Mars, become a space hermit, and live in a cave for the rest of my life.)

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]